US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

bobbid

You associate your debit or credit card with your account and that's where you are charged for purchases/rentals. (in 5 reviews)

johnathanm17

Best movie library and streaming source out there. (in 24 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

re5480
7/5/15

Bought the new Ninja Turtle Movie (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles). Comes with free digital copy through VUDU code. Went to my VUDU account entered the code and picked (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles). Went to watch movie on VUDU and it was the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie from the 80's I think. Not the 2014 version I bought. Contacted Vudu through my account and explained that this is not the movie I bought. They required pictures of the receipt, movie cover, Vudu code card and generic insert that is in every Vudu digital movie. Sent all of that ASAP. They replied that "they would look into it and get back to me in 3 business days". On the 5th business day they sent an email stating that the original movie was the one that was offered in the new 2014 box as digital. Total BS!!! Did not buy original, did not want original, pkg did not state original digital copy included, but rather that a digital copy of the 2014 movie I purchased was included. Simply LIP SERVICE on "we'll check into it" They just waited 5 days and then blew me off. I will be sure to look for any copy of any movie that I purchase from now on that does not include anything from VUDU. Simple fix would have been for them to take original movie from my account and add 2014 version that I paid for. Terrible Customer Support.

kerstinc
6/21/15

If you have a REDBOX close to you then you don t need Vudu.
Why pay $4 and up if you can rent the same movie for $1.25?
Mostly of the old movies Vudu has for $3.99 are free at the public library (if you have little ones and you want to see good movies, go to the Library, you can keep the movies for 5 days and you don t have to pay anything)
The prices Vudu has do not make sence.

sandrac40
5/31/15

If you want a movie or television series, this is where you come. Thousands of titles to choose from! Fast, efficient delivery. I have been looking for a particular movie title for quite a while and couldn't find it. I came here and voila, it's here. Really love this site!

aubreyh19
5/31/15

Stole my money redeem codes never work and you have to cancle your card because its nearly impossible to cancel my account. ...All in all it sucks

Tip for consumers: Do not use vudu you will regret it.

tonyag8
5/2/15

I bought my movie at Walmart and set up my Vudu account. Although the movie was supposed to be instantly added to my account, it wasn't. I thought perhaps there was a code I needed to enter. I looked all over the inside and outside of the movie box, but found no code. Thinking the code must have been on the shrink wrap that I threw away, I contacted customer service by e-mail (the only way I found to contact them) and explained the situation. They not only asked for a copy of my receipt, they also wanted photos of the front and back of the movie box and a photo of the UPC. I gathered all that information and sent it in a reply to the e-mail.

A few days later, I received a e-mail from Vudu saying that since I hadn't responded in 96 hours, they were closing my case. What? I went to Vudu's site and found the original e-mail and my reply to it with the numerous attached photos. I sent a new e-mail asking Vudu to review my original ticket. I received a confirmation form letter saying they would respond to my e-mail promptly. That is the last I have heard from them. I am tired of trying to contact them, and I still don't have my movie on my account. I'm not going to bother with this service again.

feliciah7
4/30/15

exactly as i saifd above, it needs more.

4/25/15

I've had Vudu for about 4 years and I have about 200 movies and TV shows in my collection. I've rarely had any issues that stemmed directly from Vudu itself; most problems were due to my Charter Internet service. I knew it wasn't Vudu because when Vudu would fail I would run speedtest to find that my connection was stalling. A modem and router reset would fix it, but for a while Charter was hit/miss especially at night times. The last 2 years they have fixed things so I no longer have any buffering issues. I'm located in San Francisco Bay area, not sure if physical location impacts streaming quality.

For all the bad reviews pointing the finger to Vudu for your buffering issues, make sure to test your internet connection to be sure where the problem is. I'm loving Vudu and I can't wait for them to stream 4k content. They're already on board with Dolby Atmos so they're keeping up with the times.

Tip for consumers: There's a lot of bad reviews for Vudu, and I just can't attest to that. My buffering issues have almost always been due to my internet provider, not Vudu.

courtneyc25
4/13/15

I have been a customer with Vudu for about 3 yrs I have put up with the buffering issues and slow loading even when I have top of the line internet but TODAY was the last straw I purchased a pre-order and it CLEARLY stated me card would not be charged until my movie was available and it was and I wanted a refund and was told because of some crappy 7.00 towards a movie ticket I could not have a refund then they said they would escalate my issue to accounting and after ALMOST a week got told the same thing.. I then asked to speak with a supervisor Anthony was his name he was rude and yelled at me and talked to me like I was an idiot so I asked to speak to Anthony's boss he told me his manager doesn't take calls and they just sent me a e-mail form letter telling me they will not refund my money. I will no longer purchase anything on VUDU and I will be using AMAZON from now on they have GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!

hillj1
4/5/15

Netflix is much better in quality. The most problem connecting to the network even with the router sitting in the same room... Once my credits is up I will invest in something that actually works .... Don't buy it

aarona37
3/26/15

VUDU is absolutely crap!! The first time I rented something from VUDU I had no issues. That would be the first and last time that I wouldn't. Every time since I have tried to rent a movie it cuts out every 1-2 minutes. I've tried switching from HDX to HD and finally to SD. They all suck. I've done all the trouble shooting crap they ask you to do that doesn't work. I have one of the best TV's on the market, the highest possible internet speed through Verizon Fios and VUDU is still crap. I have no other problems with Amazon, Netflix or any of my other devices. Any good review on her I can only assume come from people that work at VUDU and are forced to leave something good to try and wash out all the bad. If I could leave something less than a 1, I would.

brandonw20
3/24/15

Vudu is horrible, movies always have problems no matter what kind of equipment and internet speed....I always have trouble after a digital download doesn't work, they want you to email them receipts, copies of the movie, and the Vudu code which often doesn't work. Sometimes it takes days to weeks to get the problems worked out, they simply want you to forget about your purchases and go on with your life. I promise to only watch the movies I already have in my library, if a movie has Vudu on it, I don't want it!!!

xiaolongl
3/6/15

Very tricky language on the packaging, to the unwary, it would appear to say this service is free. It's free to sign up. Must have credit card info to redeem credit, credit that spreads out as small amounts over a few months. Packaging for spark advertises $20 credit, it's more accurately $5 in credit a month for 4 months, is what's in the fine print. A LOT of tricky stuff like that, when it's unreliable easy access to pay-per-view service in reality. Set-up between devices was a little frustrating, although it plugs easily into hdmi and uses any cellphone charger. Not an especially high quality anything though, New releases available for purchase. It's like one of those pay as you rent video kiosks in your tv. Not what advertising would imply, which would be more like chromecast or amazon. Those stream netflix hulu plus youtube etc., no charges with regular subscription. I think this is ok to hook up once in awhile..oh did I mention that your free credit expires? So none of that saving it to see a new movie..no sir..

katem40
2/20/15

Ordered a movie in October and had no problems with streaming it, so i ordered 3 more 2/1/15 expecting no issues. NOT SO. Now all 4 movies will not stream without constant buffering every minute. Have contacted customer support via email (only option available) multiple times with no reply. WTF!!! Should have gone with my gut feeling of to good to be true.

daleh32
2/2/15

i like to view movies from here every once in a while. the movies come in hd and are very easy to download to my viewing device. also many to choose from.the options are endless. have fun.

heatherf15
1/4/15

Wonderful at first until a purchase I did yesterday at Walmart. Walmart and Vudu have a collaboration when you buy something from Walmart you should be able to watch your video instantly on both Walmart/Vudu or Vudu itself. Both company's have been giving me the run around and pointing their fingers at one another as to why I can't watch my purchased movies. frankly this is ridiculous, I emailed proof of my purchase and a pictures showing Vudu that in fact I have bought the items and picture showing they have taken it out of my bank account and even a picture showing that it is suppose to be watched instantly. Why are they now dodging me and shoving me under the rug? it's because I guess a buyers satisfaction is not on their top priority list.

joels32
12/21/14

Vudu, you had one job. I want my money back. I have the best internet and equipment. Amazon works. Netflix works. Vudu crashes every 5 minutes and kicks me out to the roku menu, or won't connect. Complete waste of money. I might finish my movie within 24 hours if I keep trying. Thanks vudu, you are completely worthless!

chriss221
12/13/14

The site straight up does not work. Multiple browsers such as Firefox would get caught up on the login. After that, I could never get the site to play the video I purchased. 5.99 down the drain.

Do not use this site.

kellyt23
11/18/14

Very upset with Vudu/Ultraviolet! First there are two not one site. Whether I go to Vudu or Ultraviolet I cannot access anything. Vudu is stuck on this page for a movie marianne. I logged in and when I clicked on the dash to access my movies it went to the page with marianne and I can't remove it, when I try to click on the other links that show they are broken it does nothing, when I click on my account or anything on the page it does nothing. If I go to the Ultraviolet site it shows all my movies but will not allow me to watch them. I have and will continue to file complaints on every site I can find to complain on. I have put a stop on my credit card so they cannot charge me for anything else. I even contacted them, with no response...

wg5
9/27/14

I had a CD key for the new Need for Speed film, it wasn't on flixster so had to find another ultra violet site. I signed up for VUDU, at no point does it say not for UK users.

I activated my key. Once I got round to playing film it said not allowed for this country. Like what the actual ****. I emailed their support, they rudely stated that there is nothing they can do.

Avoid this company at all costs.

johnathanm17
9/21/14

Best movie library and streaming source out there. I have all my movies in one place, and don't have to use the discs! Awesome site that I've recommended to all.

lonnieb27
9/15/14

I bought Season 6, Sons of Anarchy. When we started to watch this there were promos and adds at the beginning of Episode 1. At the end of Episode 1 more adds, then after going all the way back to the beginning and getting on to episode 2, more adds. I ran thru the episodes and all contained adds at either beginning or end and some at both ends. I contacted VUDU customer service and requested a refund of the 19.99 for SD edition of SOA's. I was told they do not make refunds once you have watched some of the episodes. How else would I know the download contained all the adds? I am not going to pay for seasons of anything that contain adds or promos of anything. Having to go thru those at the start of a DVD is bad enough, but once past the start I am not burdened with others in the DVD's. One customer service response was that I could use fast forwad to speed through the adds and continue the stream. Duh, if I am going to have to speed through this stuff I will just record from TV and use the remote. What exactly is VUDU providing as a benefit for purchase from them? I will just go back to hard copy DVD, use a more reputable source like Amazon, who does refund if you are not satisfied, or set the old tivo to record all the wonderful tv carried adds and promos, then speed through them.

thadp6
9/14/14

Don't believe the bad reviews. Vudu works great. We often buy the Bluray with digital copy. We set up a Vudu account and we can access it from either our TV our Playstation. The movies load fast and stream at high quality.

jasons105
9/12/14

Vudu is just bad. Several friends and myself, 22 in all, signed up with free Vudu movie coupons received with Walmart pizza. Vudu charged every card even those those who had not downloaded a movie. We all cancelled the service. Our attorney suggested suing in order to get everyones money back.

lisap61
5/22/14

Trick you into a $5.00 credit to sign up....watched a $4.99 movie (that I could have gotten at Red Box) somehow they take .40 cents out of my banking account?!?! Yeah , I know where this is going CANCEL

laurenh10
3/22/14

It's been great, I buy the digital copy and blu-ray combo pack whenever I get a new movie and it's great. It hasn't failed me yet!

lauraw33
12/10/13

I just signed in, I used my u. V. Codes from my movies, I linked my account and now I can not watch the movies I own. Scam 100 %....

chancep3
11/2/13

Vudu is a huge pile of steaming scamming crap. Not only have they lost my current business, but any future business too. I was lured in by it seamlessly integrating with my XBL only to find out once my XBL Gold expired not only can I not order new movies, BUT I CAN'T EVEN WATCH MY CURRENT ONES! Total, complete, utter, 100%, scam. Pure and simple.

dons34
9/3/13

Scam. Deceptive advertising. The terms of service state they own your information and can sell/trade/give it away at will. They make it impossible to close account. You've been warned.

susany5
7/21/13

Put simply, LIARS. They suck people in via the "10 free movies" offers, then you end up with a nice charge on your credit card, because you of course have to provide that information when you register.

When I called to dispute the charges, the customer service rep was very rude.

Never again.

natashag1
6/19/12

I couldnt watch the film i ordered due to server issues and connection issues ; we ordered a film on the evening of 17 th, the movie was too long and we decided to finish watching it on the 18 th. At about 8 pm on the 18 th we tried to get vudu going and the network/ server error popped up 4 times, by the time that issue was resolved it told us we have 13 minutes left to finish watching the film ( of which about 50 minutes we yet didn't see) . Then server issue came up again and then we couldn't play the film at all because the time has elapsed. Either its some elaborate scheme or total and complete incompetence: but when i called : someone named DeeDee was trying to convince me that we watched the film all the way through. VUDU customer service wasnt in our living room on the evening of the 17 / 18, and trying to convince me that we watched the film isnt going to work. AND I WAS TOLD APPARENTLY THAT THE COMPANY DOESN'T HAVE MANAGERS?!
THEY HAVE THE WORST DAMN SERVICE I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED!

josephp3
10/29/11

I do not understand how this site stays in business. I tried to subscribe, but the sign up, with use of a credit card would not work. When I tried to fill in the month and date it would stay at 0 and not accept it. I also called the phone # they listed, it reached their customer service, but no one answered. Also they appeared to advertise $2.00 per rental, but the individual films ranged from $3 to $7. When I played the free trailer. the quality of the picture was good!

bobbid
7/26/11

So in my never ending quest for the best movie site, I bring you vudu.com. I love the HD quality that they offer. This works with the pc, PS3, and any TV, Blu-ray, or media devices, like Boxee, that have it installed.

I tried this on my pc and on my PS3 and it worked great. The really nice thing was I got a free credit to try any movie rental on my pc and a separate one to try out on the PS3. I was able to see it works, and I got to see a movie I really wanted to see. They work with the credit system, no subscription.

I actually tried this site out a few months ago. What brought me back is the fact that Walmart is partnering up with them to offer streaming movie rentals from the Walmart site. Yes, Walmart's streaming video rentals. Once I saw that Walmart was starting to offer online rentals, I had to check it out.

Vudu rental/purchase policy:

"If you purchase a movie, it is stored permanently on your box. If you rent a movie, it remains on the box unwatched for 30 days. Once you press play, a 24 hour viewing period is initiated, after which your rental will expire. Within that 24 hour period, you can watch the movie as often as you wish. You may also find movies from independent studios that allow you a 48 hour period to watch the movie. After a rented movie expires, you may extend the rental for a discounted price on most of our titles. This option is available for 7 days following the expiration of the original rental."

Prices are pretty reasonable, and if you are able to stream it, with the bandwith you have, and the movie deserves it (because not all movies do), the HDX movies look and sound awesome!

For a typical new release-

to rent:
$ 5.99 for HDX
$ 4.99 for HD
$ 3.99 for SD

to purchase:
$ 19.99 for HDx
$ 19.99 for HD
$ 14.99 for SD

They also have rental and purchase deals on older movies, but I really didn't see anything jump out at me. Walmart is offering 2 days for $2 for some "older" movies. Some of them date back to the early 1900's, and I'm not joking.

4 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the VUDU staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Why does my VUDU have trouble loading on my tablet when connected to wifi
5/20/15
Answer
mehmetcank
A: The android app for vudu is not too good, but if you gave a good wifi connection it should work. The issues I know of are related to very poor connections, where the vudu app can't decide if it wants to do "offline" or online mode. Can you be more specific about which tablet and the issue you're having?
5/20/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Q: can you lose anything you bought on vudu without using credits
2 weeks ago
Answer
mehmetcank
A: I'm not sure what you're referring to by "credits". Within my account I have every movie I purchased or received via some promotion. What's also cool is that any Ultraviolet movies or Disney Movies Anywhere are also part of Vudu, once you link your accounts.

I've never lost a movie, and unfortunately I can't get rid of movies that I received via some promotion that I didn't like or want.

My only fear has always been, what happens if Vudu goes out of business... but that fear is very low since now Wal Mart owns Vudu, and all these other accounts and new TVs and Blu-ray players include Vudu. Don't think it's going anywhere.

I don't think I answered your question but hopefully that helps.
2 weeks ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the VUDU staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

2 Coupons for VUDU

Find $5 Monthly Deals Now at VUDU!
Expires: February 4, 2016
Get Deal
No coupon code needed
Shop now at VUDU to save!
Go to VUDU