US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

susank27

I've had some terrific clients and I've had some really bad ones. (in 10 reviews)

kathleenc9

They have a lot of work available; their pay scale is decent, and their customer support is excellent. (in 16 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

alessiop1
8/26/14

I like working freelance so this site is perfect for me. They pay good and never had any problems by now.

beverlya9
7/22/14

I've had Textbroker as my bread and butter for the last four years. They don't pay well, but their requirements are not that overwhelming either. I've never had an issue that wasn't responded to in a quick manner and friendly tones. However, don't expect them ever to side with the writers although they do say that they do in a fair manner. I also appreciate their online tutorials and samples that they offer the writers that make this an ideal site to learn...
Jobs are sometimes sparse as I guess happens throughout the industry. Yup, Textbroker for me!

richardf35
7/19/14

Absolute rubbish. Do not use this company. They assign a writer to you, the work takes ages to complete. Then I found that the person they assigned did not read or ignored the template. I closed the account closing 25 euro in the process as they insist on you depositing more money than the cost of the work before they proceed. I guess the reason for this is that a lot of people close the account after one job. I started using elance at the same time. Much better designed process you choose who does the review based on their experience. Work as a result is of a better quality.

adamd23
6/12/14

If you have great customer service skills, listen to what the editors suggest, you'll make money. Textbroker is a very dynamic content provider to work for. I have nothing but praise to say about this company.

michaelb153
5/23/14

Beer money? Where the hell are you guys drinking? I have been a writer for TextBroker for two and a half years. I currently average $500 while writing for less than 30 hours per week. Sometimes the work for open orders can be lacking, but I have developed regular daily clients and belong to six extremely active teams - so it doesn't matter how much work is available in the open queue.

If you're not serious about being a freelance writing on the site, you won't make much money. I have long since quit my regular job as I make far more now on TextBroker than I did before. If I had a problem with a client, the TextBroker agents responded to me in less than an hour.

I do agree that the editorial staff isn't consistent with reviews, but that's what happens when you have several people reviewing work each with different knowledge and understanding of grammar. As long as you're consistent in your abilities and can write AP style without difficulty, then you don't have much to worry about.

daved35
5/4/14

I started with Textbroker years ago and thought "Yea, this is cool." Now a few years later I realized it was a shady scene. It did help me to start writing articles for people but not much else. The pay was low and obviously many writers (if you want to call them that) are from overseas. The end result was I bailed after a couple years and tried to freelance which worked over time. I actually started on Fiverr.com and offered services for blogging and article writing. Now I get orders that can be 25.00 to 40.00 for blogs that are around 750 to 1000 words. I noticed the more positive feedbacks I got, the demand grew. It's more personal and your in control of what you accept or dont. So, yea Textbroker is good for practice and maybe beer money but not much else. I felt like I was a writing wh@@e for them, Fiverr, I don't.

christinem29
4/30/14

I began writing for TextBroker in 2009. I was rated at a "4", which is where I remained for almost 4 years. In the middle of 2013 I had a client ask for changes 5 times on one article. I found out that he was posting these articles he was "not happy with" on his business site as they were being submitted. When I confronted him he decided to simply reject the article all together. I contacted TextBroker with the proof that I had of the client posting these articles and did not hear back from them for 3 months. They told me at then that too much time had passed. Within a month my rating dropped down to a "3", which is where I am still at. After receiving this rating I had my professors look over the work and was told that the Grammatical errors that I was being told existed were not present.

There is no consistency in the article reviews that are performed through TextBroker. It has been 4 months since any of my work has been reviewed. By the time the editors get to the articles they simply place an "N" in the rating. I have been told that this is to help catch up on older articles that have been waiting for review. However, this is an unfair practice. I am a writer that does need full-time work. I think the company had better services and relationships with the writers and clients before they tried to expand their business. The amount of work has not increased and the company as a whole is no longer leaving a professional image in the minds of their writers. While I do continue to write for my direct order clients through TextBroker, I have given up on the other work that the company has to offer. I have found other sites that I would encourage fellow writers to try out!

sams139
3/29/14

It's good for beer money but not much else. The place seems to be a haven for lowballers on both the client and the writer side. Most of their writers appear to be housewives or people on disability who don't need to make a full time living. There are several bitter old women who haunt the forums claiming to be published authors because they've done a couple of dreadful books via some shady vanity press, but...anyway, real writers have better options.

ka5478
3/7/14

I registered with Textbroker several years ago, but never wrote for them because I was getting more money writing elsewhere. Late last year, jobs dried up, so I went to them in desperation. While the operation is fairly operated, the communication with the writers is lacking. As for the pay, it is only decent if you get direct orders at the price that you set, and there are not a lot of requesters there that want to pay decent rates. Teams are not much better, most not paying more than the minimum allowed, which right now is less than slightly over .015 per word. I am a level 4, and the editors do all they can to keep you there with extremely nitpicky editing. While it's nice to be able to pick and choose what I write, the topics are mostly commercial garbage, where you are supposed to write a general article and sneak in a promo somewhere "naturally," or product descriptions. What really gets me is that people are willing to write press releases and ad copy for the rates they pay, because copywriters are extremely well paid for those jobs.

I use it as a backup only, when times are tough. Stay off the forums unless you want to be trolled. There are a few on there who are just insane, and they keep changing their names so you don't know who they are. Textbroker seems to not want to do anything about them, because they are good producers. Go figure.

susank27
2/27/14

I've written off and on for Textbroker since 2008. The company pays on time every week. For the most part, the editors are okay. Once in a while I've run into an overbearing one, but they don't last long. I've had some terrific clients and I've had some really bad ones. With some experience, it's easy to spot the ones who will insist on revision after revision and still reject an article -- which has happened to me three times in six years.The pay scale is way below pathetic, one or two cents per word, so complaints about the quality of the writing fail to move me to wailing and gnashing my teeth. I've been a writer and editor for more than 20 years. Take a tip from the military. "You can have it fast, you can have it cheap, or you can have it good. Pick any two."

sabrinat3
2/19/14

I am just getting started and I am anything but impressed. It was highly recommended to me by my college professor to write professionally, so I decided to check out the site. My writing was rated a three, and there was only one job available in the three or less range. The topic was not something I would be able to do justice...so, what a waste of time...

phylliss7
2/10/14

I am disabled, but still have my writing and research abilities. I have written more than 450 articles in the past year for nearly $3,700. I have written, blogs, legal web pages, complete web sites and more. I have several private clients. The editors are smart and helpful. They totally take care of the client side and protect their writers. I get paid into my Paypal account every Friday that I request and have never had one problem. I highly recommend this site for both writers and clients.

robink13
1/21/14

I have to laugh at the guy who said $15 for 500 words is "insanely expensive". If you're expecting professional work, you'll have to pay someone a liveable wage in order to get it. You should expect at least a couple of hours to be spent on a high-quality, SEO optimized piece of 500 words and $15 isn't going to cut it. If you want keyword-stuffed ESL-garbled webclutter, you can probably get that for your price range.

My experience with Textbroker is pretty lousy considering the success I've had working for other content brokers and private clients. I like the business model of broker sites, but even at four stars at TB you're earning half of what other sites pay for two-star writers. It's hard for me to understand why four- and five-star rated writers would stick around and teach clients that $15 is an "insanely high" price for a quality piece when they could double or triple their earnings elsewhere.

Textbroker's editors don't like the way I write and I've only received negative reviews from them in spite of rave reviews from clients there. I have had great success at two other broker sites along with a bit of good work from private clients so clearly it is just a mismatch for me as a writer.

I surely will not be busting my butt for TB's editors only to get pennies slung at me. Writers, think better of yourself and your work and move on.

briad
1/21/14

Poor management practices. Management does not value writers at all, and most of the writers who praise Textbroker fawn over management in the hopes that management will refer their names to managed and exclusive writing teams.

I am appalled by management's utter disregard for its writers. On top of that, the pay is dismal.

kathleenc9
12/23/13

I am a part time freelance writer and have worked for a number of different "content farms" and crowd sourcing companies, and Textbroker is one of the better sites I've found. They have a lot of work available; their pay scale is decent, and their customer support is excellent. My only issues have been that some clients try to scam authors out of content by requesting revision after revision, and in those cases (I have only experienced two) TB has been unwilling to intervene on my behalf.

Textbroker is not the highest paying site around, for sure. Their four star writers get 1.5 cents per word (they charge clients a fee as well, so the client pays more than that.) However, if you write solid, well-researched, ORIGINAL content, you will get paid what you are owed. They use PayPal, and I have never had a problem getting a payout; it is usually in my account the next day. In fact, my only problems have been with clients giving poor instructions and then complaining that an article didn't meet their needs. However, now that I know that TB gives me the ability to look up a client's "stats"--the percentage of articles they have rejected or requested revisions on--I avoid that issue by checking to make sure the clients I'm writing for don't have a high rejection or revision request rate. (The client I had a problem with had a rejection rate of over 50% and a revision rate of close to 200%.)

As to the complaints by clients that the work is substandard--they are probably right about 60% of the time, but what do you expect for < 2 cents a word? What's more, I find it astonishing that these people think that the writers should not only write well, but also know about SEO algorithms, keyword density etc. That is the CLIENT'S job. American companies have gotten so used to sending everything overseas that they seem to have lost sight of the fact that they are not going to get the same amount of work from an English speaking worker in the USA as they get from someone in India or another impoverished country for $4.00 a day.

daphnes1
10/22/13

I have been a writer on Textbroker for nearly a year. I started out as a four-star writer and was recently promoted to the five-star level. Textbroker has been a safe, reliable and user-friendly way to earn extra income online with my writing skills. With one minor exception, I have had great experiences with Textbroker's clients. I have written content at Textbroker for various projects ranging from small websites to larger corporate clients. The editors have always been helpful and professional, and all my questions have been answered in a timely manner. I can safely say that writing for Textbroker has developed my writing skills more than several college-level English courses. Even though Textbroker's quality standards are very high, success is within reach as long as one takes the time to fully understand their requirements and apply their guidelines carefully. Their high standards ensure that clients know what quality to expect from Textbroker authors at each level of service. Textbroker has built and maintained a strong reputation in the area of online content for a reason. I'd recommend it as a great option both for writers looking for a place to use their skills and for those looking for good writing services.

bobj41
10/21/13

DO NOT work for these people. They rip off writers. Very low pay plus bizarre management practices.

katv2
10/2/13

As an author, I can say that my experience with this site is just as horrific as the clients. Often times clients give poor instructions which leave authors perplexed. The editors that are supposed to review content are often inconsistent with their feedback to authors who have little recourse if they are treated unfairly by textbroker. Rates for authors are abysmally low given that many clients require extensive research for their articles.

harveyw7
9/7/13

Textbroker is horrible. I was a client and the writers suck like crap unless you're paying like 15 dollars per 500 words which is insanely expensive. They also make you send in your photo id and picture of credit card so they can "verify" your order. I mean why should a client go through so much hassle to hire a writer. Stay away clients go somewhere cheaper and easier to work with and they will also not answer your emails.

cathyr10
7/13/13

As far as the service offered, textbroker is hands down the best option. That's not to say it's not without bugs. Basically publishers list articles they'd like written, then writers claim the articles they'd like to write.

This means that articles may go unwritten. Additionally you've got to hand approve each and every article you order, and some authors do seem to write right into the text box on the Textbroker page, therefor failing to use the spelling and grammar checking tools provided by Microsoft Word.

Overall though, Textbroker.com is a great option for article-writing on the cheap.

It's also a great place to get started working at home as a writer. You will NOT make millions, but you'll get experience, and begin making a name for yourself, building that portfolio, etc.

georgew33
4/18/13

They asked me to submit a copy of my ID. I'm not too worried about identity theft so I sent them a photocopy of my State of Florida Security Office ID. They claimed that was not good enough, so I just said thanks but no thanks, that's all your're getting

johnf78
3/15/13

They are just liar and theif. They don't accept my rejection for poor article and withdraw money from my account forcedly without my acceptance.

I do recommend everyone not to use this service. It's only expensive and poor quality service.

erict19
3/1/13

I've just recently started but it's going along pretty well. Some articles require a frequency of a certain word or phrase, which is supposed to help for SEO google analytics, but, this can be challenging if you want to use them and write professionally. I've come across (without naming the actual product directly) an article that required me to write "Tylenol buy" three times. Not "buy Tylenol," which would be much easier to implement. So I had to figure out how to squeeze that in with some lame line like: "Make sure to check out the generic brands if you want to save money when you Tylenol buy."

So my advice is to be picky with your articles and save some face.

ethanb7
1/21/13

Not good at all in my opinion. This "service" has the worst proposed content I have seen in a long time, and it appears that the site editors and authors have no recognition of the search algorithms used by major search engines like Google, Yahoo, etc. If you take a look at their sample blog texts, you will find that the author(s) appear to have absolutely no concept of SEO or what it takes to be noticed in a generic search since the inception of Google's search algorithms, which have been in place since 2011! The text they submit has a very automated feel to it, as if it is the result of "bot" compilation of numerous pieces of old, stale text parading as "new" content. It also looks like this is just a way to get aspiring authors to work for basically free. I would stay away.

natalieo1
1/13/13

Textbroker is a legitimate way to make income. It is not suitable for professional writers though. It is ideal for individuals seeking a way to work from home who aren't experienced writers. I gave it a three star rating because the pay rate is to low for quality work. For a more in depth review check out my full review at http://writeoutblog.blogspot.com/

philg6
12/3/12

I ordered a press release. Order was ignored. I emailed support and was told that the writers can decide if they want to accept or reject assignments. I thought it was canceled due to the response of support. I had the order fulfilled by another company. That release was published and distributed. 63 days later, textbroker fulfilled the original order. 63 days! I went to close my account but they have a no refund policy. I've found better writers on craigslist.

nathanj5
Apprentice Reviewer
4/18/12

I've used Textbroker and had success on both sides, as a writer and as a publisher (content requestor). I've found them to be fairly quick and easy to work with. You get to work with the writer (or publisher) directly so you usually get what you want; Textbroker is just the facilitator. Sometimes the choice of topics is pretty slim but if you are a 4 star writer then you can access the vast majority of writing requests. Be sure to proofread your stuff before submission!

sammiec1
12/26/11

Textbroker is a good site for writers. Though the pay scale is not great-- I am rated a 4, which is excellent by their standards, and the pay is just 1.4 cents, they always have work and they pay every week like clockwork.It is possible to upgrade to level 5, which pays a nickel per word, but you have to pass their proofreading test first, and I haven't had time. Good supplemental income for beginners or those who are self-employed as I am and subject to the whims of clients.

michaelb34
Apprentice Reviewer
9/2/11

I've used textbroker as a client actually submitting requests for articles to be written. They provide a good interface for managing your article writing assignments and for defining the requirements that you have for the assignment (as the client requesting an article to be written).

There are other services out there like this. Textbroker is one of the better ones.

dondret
2/22/10

Textbroker.com is a site that pays people to write articles. I needed a little money to pay the bills and this site seemed promising. They accept anybody who can write coherently, no matter their writing background. I'm new to freelance writing, so I had no experience whatsoever, but through a very well-written writing sample, I got accepted in a week.

First, I had to submit a brief writing sample about a chosen topic with a minimum of 250 words. There were 3 topics, including one about reviewing a favorite business, so I ended up writing a review about my favorite online shopping business Amazon.com. About a week later, I got an email saying that I was accepted and received a 4 out of 5 star rating. That means that I can write 75% of all article assignments listed on the site.

The pay is guaranteed at Textbroker because every word makes about 0.01 cents. In other words, I know exactly how much money I'm going to make. With 4 stars, I can write 400 word articles for up to $6. It may not seem like a lot, but it works when you need some money and you need it to be guaranteed. With other writing sites like Associated Content, I write and submit a stellar 400 word article with no guarantee that I will be paid more than $5. And while Textbroker accepts your articles within 3 days, AC takes up to a week. I've written stellar 400 word articles and received just under $2.50, in addition to a whopping income of a full $1.50 for every 1,000 page views! So far, I've only received a few page views. In freelance writing society, that's worse than minimum wage.

Textbroker payments can be requested twice a month through Paypal, which is better than other writing sites that pay once a month at a predetermined time.

Obviously, a big advantage of Textbroker that makes it better than other paid-to-write sites is leniency. I write whenever I want and I choose every article that I want to write from the hundreds of assignments that are listed. There are new articles being added every day, too.

All in all, Textbroker is good, but maybe not great, site for beginners to freelance writing. Anyone who can writing well can handle the assignment topics and it helps beginners builds their resumes and break into more serious writing arenas like national magaizines that pay hundreds of dollars per articles. If I can't find a better moneymaking opportunity, I'll be going back to Textbroker again.

jacquelined
7/22/09

Been a member of this website for a while now. Really like them, and they are a good website. Decent pay for your writing too. Are a bit skimpy on writing topic descriptions though. But as writing for pay websites go, this is one of the few good ones that I have found. You sign up and submit a writing sample. They are pretty prompt to respond, and will rate your sample by stars - 2, 3 or 4 stars. Your star level will determine what writing assignments are available to you. Don't worry, they usually have plenty to choose from. They now pay bi-weekly, amounts starting at $10 dollars. Good writing website.