US Government's NSF

Detailed Rating Summary

▼ Sort by: recent

taylorj11
1/17/16

I tried to create my account as a worker (transcriber) which the Create Account link is BROKEN. It won't do ANYTHING. Yet I click "Register" at the top of the page (as an uploader) which works just fine. I want to transcribe OTHER PEOPLE's files, not get a page where they ask for my credit card information. Do Not Fall For This Scam.

jennifert80
1/17/16

This is not a complain about Speechpad. This is a complaint about some of the cheating clients that use Speechpad to handle transcriptions for them. So I guess this is going to be the new trend, clients speeding up the audio before handing it over to a transcription company so the client pays less for more words?
I recently did an audio for transcription on Speechpad that was so very obviously sped up to decrease the minutes of audio. The total minutes were compressed into about 30 minutes instead of probably closer to an hour or more that it was originally before being sped up. The guy sounded like a squeak toy. Well, not exactly. But I decreased the speed to about 75%, the voice and pace sounded much more normal. Decreasing the speed was the only way I could catch what this $^@^ was saying. This kind of frustrated me. As a transcriber you get paid per audio minute not by amount of words. Maybe transcription companies shoud start charging per word instead of per minute. I really hope someone from Speechpad reads this and starts being pro-active about this issue. For transcribers, beware and don't transcribe something that sounds like it has been sped up. This will probably be happening more and more.

ama1805
12/26/15

Speechpad provided one rework, not several as stated. and it was because there were no Interviewer: Interviewee speaker tags on the file submitted. As for being fair, again, that's debatable, FAIR is paying the promised wages when a worker performs a job. The work was transcribed and you WILL use it.

Again, we can debate this back and forth, but SPEECHPAD IS HIGHLY INCONSISTENT WITH THEIR REVIEWS and until that is not fixed, you will continue to receive reviews such as this one.

josw1
12/17/15

I did a few jobs for them, using their General Transcription Guide and all were accepted with a 94-96 rating. Good deal. Then I did one where I followed the EXACT same guide.. whoever reviewed my work decided it was not right and altered small things that weren't in the guide. I received a 40 on that one job causing my overall total to drop to an 80 something. Now I am unable to qualify for any jobs to bring it up or make any money. From what I understand, they have other workers doing the reviewing. It's kind of up to whoever is doing the review. Displeased for sure and think Mturk should stop this partnership.

ianz1
10/26/15

This may be a good service for those who want transcriptions, but I would caution people who might want to make some extra money transcribing. The quality of many of the recordings is extremely poor, as in "people recording a lecture from the back of the room on their phone" poor. This makes it almost impossible to accurately decipher the entire recording, which can lead to doing several hours of unpaid work when the final result is "rejected" without explanation.

At the very least, you should sample the recordings all the way through before undertaking a job, and be wary of those with a short timeframe to completion -- they have likely been rejected by other transcribers before you.

Edited 12/26/2015 to add:

I see that Jill from Speechpad.com has responded to my review, so I'd like to illustrate what kind of "errors" caused my work to be rejected. For example, I wrote:

"We see the metrics at the school level, again, with remediation rates, with dropout rates, all behavioral issues, and safety issues that are there."

Speechpad said this should have been:

"We see the school have their metrics are at the school level, again, whether it's for mediation rates, with dropout rates, all the behavioral issues, and safety issues that are there."

The changes don't make sense. When students don't perform well, they are put in remedial programs, not "mediation".

I wrote:

"He used to be a principal of a huge school district"

Speechpad said this should have been:

"He used to be a principle of this school district"

Somebody doesn't know the difference between "principle" and "principal" but I don't think it's me.

I wrote:

"And then, of course, when she gave her story, Jim and I were just bawling."

Speechpad said this should have been:

"And of course when she gave her story, Jim and I were just balling."

I would have loved to see the customer's reaction when they got that transcript.

If I were a cynical person, I'd suspect that Speechpad has multiple people transcribe each file, pays none of them, and if questioned just gives each person the file somebody else generated, saying "it should have looked like this."

I'm just sharing my experience, and in my experience they're not a good company to work for. If you have no other options, maybe spending five hours to transcribe a one-hour audio file for $30 is better than nothing, even if it's less than minimum wage. I considered running the file through something like DragonSpeak first, and spending my time just cleaning it up, which might make the exercise cost effective. When I considered the fact that they might still reject it for such laughable reasons, though, I decided I won't be working for them again.

daisys11
10/19/15

I've worked on speechpad several times and noticed that most of the files you reject are lengthy like 60 min or more. Smaller files are accepted and you even get to see what your errors were. Though I've observed that most of the time the words corrected are replaced by similar texts which doesn't make sense at all. I think it's unfair to reject files without disclosing mistakes found. How do i know it's not just speechpad's way of scamming people off their hard earned money. I don't like this site and I wouldn't recommend my friends to use it for work. It's really time wasting and frustrating.

surajs5
3/30/15

I am into transcription for more than 15 years now. I've been associated with Speechpad for six months now. I started working as a freelancer for Speechpad 'coz I needed some extra bucks. But I loved the freedom and flexibility so much that now I've taken it up as my priority job. I really can't find words to explain how much I love it.

Transcribers, if you're looking for a flexible, rewarding job, come join Speechpad.

Thank you Speechpad for this exciting, enjoyable job opportunity.

davidm207
7/30/14

My video transcript was littered with very obvious mistakes. Clearly they just ran it though some software without any human intervention. All USA spelling despite being a uk customer too. Avoid.

gracet17
7/24/14

I have used this site to transcribe interviews for data analysis. They have been on-time and reliable. When I had questions before choosing them, the customer service replied right away and they were very helpful! I've had 13 files transcribed and one of them was supposed to have time codes, but didn't. Customer service was great and had it fixed within a day.

Super great to work with and saved me so much time.

estherc7
6/25/14

I worked for speechpad briefly and after passing the qualifications and doing my best on about a dozen files my rating was dropped without my work being reviewed.

I wasn't paid for the work completed.

sindhus1
11/4/13

This is not a good option to work on speechpad.com. I have spent my full time on speechpad and completed the files worth of around 600$. The files which are done before a month are still in review. I received payment of very small amounts twice for the files reviewed. Then all of a sudden my qualification test was revoked and I didn't hear from them. I didn't receive the payment from them. I have written many emails and they are not responding to any one of my emails.

I am waiting for my payment.

neilt7
6/18/13

Speech Pad Review

If you are anything like me, you have finally mastered the art of creating rich, valuable videos for your site. After much effort, you have accurate, reliable information readily available for your viewers. However, you may have noticed that your traffic has not yet increased. How can you make sure the public is finding your website and watching your podcasts? The answer is simple: SEO. Now, even if you don’t fully understand SEO tactics, the most fundamental thing to know is that search engines rely on text to bring up your site and videos. So, in other words, if you only have videos and no text, no one is ever going to find you.

That is where Speechpad comes in. I have used this service more than once, and I cannot begin to tell you how much time it has saved me. Speechpad reviews material with rates as low as $1 per minute in file length, this voice transcription service definitely falls into my budget. Speechpad works with professional transcribers, both human and automated, to provide accurate transcripts of your videos so that Google and other search engines can find you. The Speechpad review is a text to speech service that provides accurate content in a timely manner; in fact, the rates are set on the time you specify. For instance, if you are in a hurry to get a piece of text up and running, the price may be a little higher but for people like me, I would rather wait an extra day or two to save a couple bucks. I don’t think the SpeechInk review offers that. Regardless of the price, you simply cannot beat Speechpad’s reliable transcription service.

In reading other Speechpad reviews and SpeechInk reviews, I’m thoroughly impressed with what I’ve gotten back from Speechpad each time and don’t think I’ll be making a change now that I have a smooth running system in place.

6 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Speechpad staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Answer
jillf13
A: Hi, please email us at worker@speechpad.com so we can pull up your profile and see what happened. We hope to hear from you soon!
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Answer
jillf13
A: Hi Andrea, if you could email us at worker@speechpad.com, we should be able to assist you. Hoping to hear from you soon. Thank you,
Helpful answer