US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

gracet17

I've had 13 files transcribed and one of them was supposed to have time codes, but didn't. (in 6 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

jr179
4/26/16

Speechpad said they mailed my wife a check and she never received it. They don't respond to her emails either.

jamesm427
4/9/16

FINAL WORD 04/14/2016: If you like to work for people who refuse payment after performing a verbatim transcription in which the speaker does not speak English as a first language, and clearly has grammatical problems in that regard, and to have that work taken out of context by your obtuse employer for public use as an example of why you don't deserve to be paid, Speechpad is the perfect place for you. They have at least two competitors for whom I do transcribing work, who adhere rigidly to very specific style guidelines. You'll have a better time working for those competitors and your time and effort expenditures will pay off. Neither of those expenditures will pay off in Speechpad.

UPDATE: The exact scenario I described happened a second time right after Jill posted her retort. They sent me a chance to rework a lengthy job which required a very simple fix, BUT the fact that the job was rejected lowers my rating and makes me unqualified to do the rework. My rating isn't even lower than it was when I took the job, and my never dropped below 90, so it's not as though i'm working at a low rating. It's infuriating and nearly an insult. Here's a link to a screenshot to show this problem.

Avoid these people and do transcriptions elsewhere.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
You do get paid for your work and it's a bit on the meager side but they have some tricks up their sleeves to avoid having to pay you. The first huge roadblock is their lack of a consistent transcription style. They direct you to an outside website with generalized style guidelines. Then before your rating improves, you get seemingly simple scrub work with no style requirements. A lot of these recordings contain people talking over each other and a huge amount of speakers with very heavy accents. I've submitted numerous jobs and they've been graded with wild variance in terms of how the final transcript deals with simultaneous speakers. The grading variance goes so far as to grade you poorly both for using brackets around a speaker's name in one job and not using them in the other, with no indication in the job description that you should do either. Imagine my surprise when my rating is lowered for submitting a job without brackets and come to find out the next job I submit is corrected for using brackets, further lowering my rating and the kind of jobs to which I have access. The final straw was when a specific job was flat-out rejected. Speechpad sent me an email with a link to correct my mistakes and re-submit the work, but the errors I made in regards to the specific problem I just described lowered my rating to the point where I couldn't access the job to retake it. Skip Speechpad and use Casting Words. They have the courtesy of keeping to a specific transcript style.

anat159
4/9/16

So, I've been on this site for like a month but due to my personal reasons, I couldn't bring myself to do work and yet I've checked the board from time to time for jobs. Okay, that was good. But this week I've noticed that whenever I'm on the job board, where I select "Show jobs that I'm qualified for", the site says that there are no jobs available and I've narrowed the search bar a bit too much - yet I didn't do anything and in the past month, where I've checked the site but I wasn't unable to go take on a job, there were at least 30 per day and coming.
This confuses me a lot and I just want to understand the system better? Someone I know has and is sometimes working with this site but is far too busy to sit down with me and explain to me all about the site and it would be helpful if I could understand more about how the site works.
Thank you in advance! :DD

marias164
4/6/16

Speechpad pays smaller files. When it comes to larger files, I have noticed they reject the files. It is sad after working several hours. This is not good at all. Another issue is that when you work for 10 hours or more, when I`m about to submit the work and you have like less than 15 minutes, the file cannot be submitted. It could be the way they set their system. Someone flourishing on another man`s sweat. I think when they take they transcript they just proof-read and pocket the money. This is wrong.

micahp6
3/9/16

I've been working for Speechpad for the past few months. First as a transcriber and now more as a reviewer. It is true that you occasionally get a poor quality audio file, and even poorer transcripts, but I haven't had any issues with the way I was treated. If I ever had an issue with something, they were very quick to respond and resolve anything that came up.

It sounds like the majority of people who have bad reviews about Speechpad simply are not patient enough to persevere through the rough patches. It is a little hard starting out, and sometimes the pay isn't as good as you would like, but once you get the hang of it, it's definitely worth it in the long run!

moniqueb14
3/2/16

Speechpad just screwed me over I retook their test. I got a 96. They Revoked it and the other test I did Oh my God. Than they email me and told me that my test is so bad that I cant not work for them. People if you want to work as a transcriptist DO NOT GO TO SPEECHPAD. They are horrible.

taylorj11
1/17/16

I tried to create my account as a worker (transcriber) which the Create Account link is BROKEN. It won't do ANYTHING. Yet I click "Register" at the top of the page (as an uploader) which works just fine. I want to transcribe OTHER PEOPLE's files, not get a page where they ask for my credit card information. Do Not Fall For This Scam.

jennifert80
1/17/16

This is not a complaint about Speechpad. This is a complaint about some of the cheating clients that use Speechpad to handle transcriptions for them. So I guess this is going to be the new trend, clients speeding up the audio before handing it over to a transcription company so the client pays less for more words?
I recently did an audio for transcription on Speechpad that was so very obviously sped up to decrease the minutes of audio. The total minutes were compressed into about 30 minutes instead of probably closer to an hour or more that it was originally before being sped up. The guy sounded like a squeak toy. Well, not exactly. But I decreased the speed to about 75%, the voice and pace sounded much more normal. Decreasing the speed was the only way I could catch what this $^@^ was saying. This kind of frustrated me. As a transcriber you get paid per audio minute not by amount of words. Maybe transcription companies should start charging per word instead of per minute. I really hope someone from Speechpad reads this and starts being pro-active about this issue. For transcribers, beware and don't transcribe something that sounds like it has been sped up. This will probably be happening more and more.

ama1805
12/26/15

Speechpad provided one rework, not several as stated. and it was because there were no Interviewer: Interviewee speaker tags on the file submitted. As for being fair, again, that's debatable, FAIR is paying the promised wages when a worker performs a job. The work was transcribed and you WILL use it.

Again, we can debate this back and forth, but SPEECHPAD IS HIGHLY INCONSISTENT WITH THEIR REVIEWS and until that is not fixed, you will continue to receive reviews such as this one.

josw1
12/17/15

I did a few jobs for them, using their General Transcription Guide and all were accepted with a 94-96 rating. Good deal. Then I did one where I followed the EXACT same guide.. whoever reviewed my work decided it was not right and altered small things that weren't in the guide. I received a 40 on that one job causing my overall total to drop to an 80 something. Now I am unable to qualify for any jobs to bring it up or make any money. From what I understand, they have other workers doing the reviewing. It's kind of up to whoever is doing the review. Displeased for sure and think Mturk should stop this partnership.

ianz1
10/26/15

This may be a good service for those who want transcriptions, but I would caution people who might want to make some extra money transcribing. The quality of many of the recordings is extremely poor, as in "people recording a lecture from the back of the room on their phone" poor. This makes it almost impossible to accurately decipher the entire recording, which can lead to doing several hours of unpaid work when the final result is "rejected" without explanation.

At the very least, you should sample the recordings all the way through before undertaking a job, and be wary of those with a short timeframe to completion -- they have likely been rejected by other transcribers before you.

Edited 12/26/2015 to add:

I see that Jill from Speechpad.com has responded to my review, so I'd like to illustrate what kind of "errors" caused my work to be rejected. For example, I wrote:

"We see the metrics at the school level, again, with remediation rates, with dropout rates, all behavioral issues, and safety issues that are there."

Speechpad said this should have been:

"We see the school have their metrics are at the school level, again, whether it's for mediation rates, with dropout rates, all the behavioral issues, and safety issues that are there."

The changes don't make sense. When students don't perform well, they are put in remedial programs, not "mediation".

I wrote:

"He used to be a principal of a huge school district"

Speechpad said this should have been:

"He used to be a principle of this school district"

Somebody doesn't know the difference between "principle" and "principal" but I don't think it's me.

I wrote:

"And then, of course, when she gave her story, Jim and I were just bawling."

Speechpad said this should have been:

"And of course when she gave her story, Jim and I were just balling."

I would have loved to see the customer's reaction when they got that transcript.

If I were a cynical person, I'd suspect that Speechpad has multiple people transcribe each file, pays none of them, and if questioned just gives each person the file somebody else generated, saying "it should have looked like this."

I'm just sharing my experience, and in my experience they're not a good company to work for. If you have no other options, maybe spending five hours to transcribe a one-hour audio file for $30 is better than nothing, even if it's less than minimum wage. I considered running the file through something like DragonSpeak first, and spending my time just cleaning it up, which might make the exercise cost effective. When I considered the fact that they might still reject it for such laughable reasons, though, I decided I won't be working for them again.

daisys11
10/19/15

I've worked on speechpad several times and noticed that most of the files you reject are lengthy like 60 min or more. Smaller files are accepted and you even get to see what your errors were. Though I've observed that most of the time the words corrected are replaced by similar texts which doesn't make sense at all. I think it's unfair to reject files without disclosing mistakes found. How do i know it's not just speechpad's way of scamming people off their hard earned money. I don't like this site and I wouldn't recommend my friends to use it for work. It's really time wasting and frustrating.

surajs5
3/30/15

I am into transcription for more than 15 years now. I've been associated with Speechpad for six months now. I started working as a freelancer for Speechpad 'coz I needed some extra bucks. But I loved the freedom and flexibility so much that now I've taken it up as my priority job. I really can't find words to explain how much I love it.

Transcribers, if you're looking for a flexible, rewarding job, come join Speechpad.

Thank you Speechpad for this exciting, enjoyable job opportunity.

davidm207
7/30/14

My video transcript was littered with very obvious mistakes. Clearly they just ran it though some software without any human intervention. All USA spelling despite being a uk customer too. Avoid.

gracet17
7/24/14

I have used this site to transcribe interviews for data analysis. They have been on-time and reliable. When I had questions before choosing them, the customer service replied right away and they were very helpful! I've had 13 files transcribed and one of them was supposed to have time codes, but didn't. Customer service was great and had it fixed within a day.

Super great to work with and saved me so much time.

estherc7
6/25/14

I worked for speechpad briefly and after passing the qualifications and doing my best on about a dozen files my rating was dropped without my work being reviewed.

I wasn't paid for the work completed.

sindhus1
11/4/13

This is not a good option to work on speechpad.com. I have spent my full time on speechpad and completed the files worth of around 600$. The files which are done before a month are still in review. I received payment of very small amounts twice for the files reviewed. Then all of a sudden my qualification test was revoked and I didn't hear from them. I didn't receive the payment from them. I have written many emails and they are not responding to any one of my emails.

I am waiting for my payment.

neilt7
6/18/13

Speech Pad Review

If you are anything like me, you have finally mastered the art of creating rich, valuable videos for your site. After much effort, you have accurate, reliable information readily available for your viewers. However, you may have noticed that your traffic has not yet increased. How can you make sure the public is finding your website and watching your podcasts? The answer is simple: SEO. Now, even if you don’t fully understand SEO tactics, the most fundamental thing to know is that search engines rely on text to bring up your site and videos. So, in other words, if you only have videos and no text, no one is ever going to find you.

That is where Speechpad comes in. I have used this service more than once, and I cannot begin to tell you how much time it has saved me. Speechpad reviews material with rates as low as $1 per minute in file length, this voice transcription service definitely falls into my budget. Speechpad works with professional transcribers, both human and automated, to provide accurate transcripts of your videos so that Google and other search engines can find you. The Speechpad review is a text to speech service that provides accurate content in a timely manner; in fact, the rates are set on the time you specify. For instance, if you are in a hurry to get a piece of text up and running, the price may be a little higher but for people like me, I would rather wait an extra day or two to save a couple bucks. I don’t think the SpeechInk review offers that. Regardless of the price, you simply cannot beat Speechpad’s reliable transcription service.

In reading other Speechpad reviews and SpeechInk reviews, I’m thoroughly impressed with what I’ve gotten back from Speechpad each time and don’t think I’ll be making a change now that I have a smooth running system in place.

13 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Speechpad staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
2 weeks ago
Answer
jillf13
A: You are qualified for our entry level jobs. We have hundreds of files but also hundreds of transcribers. You can click on "Show only jobs I'm qualified for" and check back daily. The urgent and review files are available to workers who have a rating of 96 or higher, maintained for 3 months or after completing 1000 minutes' worth of audios.

2 weeks ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
3/28/16
Answer
jillf13
A: Hi Gali,
Please email us as worker@speechpad.com and include screenshots with your message.
Thank you!