US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

robertw89

Never a fee charged to my credit card and an nice email thanking me for my time in visiting their site, etc. (in 24 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

jackw74
5/5/15

A scam. He uses drop boxes and phony phone numbers to hide where he is in San Farncisco. Someone should file a complaint with the CA Bar Assn.

brunildah
4/21/15

be aware sound pretty be prepare to get more in debt.

hallid
4/14/15

I went for the free trial week and put in my credit card but when i try and cancel the trial and downgrade the account no options are given and i am told to call a number, so i try and call the number but the operator says this number dosnt exist. I tried to send them 3 emails but still no answer. Watch out this is just a giant scam.

Tip for consumers: STAY AWAY

izzym1
3/18/15

I used this service one time and will never use it again. For the information they gave I might as well have thrown my money in the trash. Please don't waste your money like I did.

vanc220
3/12/15

I paid their fee of $300 or so dollars and got a referral to a lawyer who was supposed to give me a special rate. The task was simple, file a couple motions in superior court so I could engage in an aggressive settlement. I ponied up $1,500 for the lawyer to do this which I thought was high for a simple filing. The lawyer then turned around and ASKED FOR MORE MONEY. I demanded my money back, which I got. I complained to Rocket Lawyer, and they referred another attorney, who once again wanted over $1,000 and went so far as to state they do not abide by the "discounted" attorneys fees Rocket Lawyer claims to provide as part of their "service" I had had enough -- I ended up finding a lawyer on Google who did the filings for $400 and then asked for another $200 to handle a legal review of the settlement agreement and execution thereof, a price I thought was more than fair. In the end, I got the job done but at the added cost of $300 and time wasted with Rocket Lawyer.

Bottom line: If you need a lawyer, go to Google and find one directly. Don't waste your time and money with this money grubbing middleman service ad the bogus claims of "discounted lawyer fees"

Tip for consumers: Do not use rocket lawyer

billt41
3/4/15

Rocket lawyer is running a scam!!!

They advertise free documents, but collect your personal information and credit card data. When you download your "free" document, they charge $39.95 to your credit card and continue to do so every month.

Additionally, based on my experience, the documents provided are very basic and do not cover all the bases that need to be addressed. Even though the documents are suppose to be state specific, I spent several hours modifying and adding information to make sure the document conformed to state code.

It is not worth the expense nor the grief when you find out you have been ripped-off.

dickg11
2/27/15

I simply wanted one Bill of Sale for a car and never intended to go to this site again. I shamefully must admit that I did no notice that my credit card was being charged $39.95 for the last 4 months. Chigger

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE THIS SITE!!! Even if you see through the "FREE' or you are willing to pay $39.95 per month, this site intends to deceive and will continue to do so.

sarahw57
2/26/15

Sent a question and was told to find a lawyer. WTF? Not worth the time it took to even set up the account.

Tip for consumers: Don't bother! No advice given to legal question. They don't provide the services advertised.

danielf35
2/11/15

Same as everyone else. 'Free' trial required an account setup. Account setup required a credit card. Fine print says that as soon as your 'free' trial ends, you start paying monthly until you cancel. So if you don't proactively cancel, you end up paying until you notice it showing up on your credit card bill.

The quality of the document I got was garbage. I am willing to bet that the majority of their revenue is derived from 'free' trial members who fail to notice the fine print. These paying customers, like me, don't actually use the service. That is, they paying for nothing. It might be legal. But it isn't right. It is a scam.

Tip for consumers: Go with LegalZoom. Better documents without the whole scam thing.

jimn24
1/22/15

Scam artists is my term for RocketLawyer. Mom is 96 and I needed a Power of Attorney form. They boast, "We invite anyone to come make one document for free." I did. Then mom started getting charged $39 a month.

Tip for consumers: Don't

richb23
1/19/15

The lead-in on the internet said, "100 % Free" and it named the form I wanted. 100 % FREE! I answered all the interview questions and when I got to the end, I had to enter my credit card before I could get my form! Now, I'm no lawyer, but, to me, that's not 100 % free. If that's the definition of "free" to these guys, they must have graduated from MORON lawyer school. You know, I think it's lawyers that give lawyers a bad name.

Tip for consumers: RUN!

jimr54
1/18/15

I had contacted Rocket Lawyer in 2014 regarding landlord rights. I did receive the answer to my questions along with forms that I had printed. The problem is however, that since June of 2015, Rocket Lawyer has been charging me $39.95 each month until now. Shame on me for not catching it sooner. I contacted my bank, who investigated my claim and found that the charge was fraudulent. I'm in the process of filing for the additional months and contacting the MA Attorney Generals office. In my opinion, the credit card number that was charged each month was entered at Rocket Lawyer. I will not use this site again. Should I have the need to inquire or obtain legal advice in the future, I'll try Legal Zoom.

Tip for consumers: Keep track of what you're being charged particularly if you order online.

cameronk18
1/8/15

Rocket Lawyer. For the cost of a real lawyer on retainer - 90% you can have this service. The idiots who are reviewing at 1 star have no idea how amazingly cheap this service is. I got a Cease and Desist letter, Patent, Incorporation, General Services contract, you name it, at my finger tips and customized by answering a few questions. The people leaving 0 reviews have no idea as to what a real lawyer to craft such documents would cost and verified with the proper wording. Sorry folks, but as a business owner this company is a life saver, and those leaving 1 stars have really no concept as to what legal fees really do cost to draft these documents. 5 STARS!

Tip for consumers: Understand that this site provides a service of crafting legal documents that they hold as lock tight. If you do this often, this service is priceless. If you only need 1 document, go find one on the internet, customize it and bring it to a lawyer who will charge you 110.00 for 30 minutes of your time to look over it and then you will save yourself some money.

monaj5
1/5/15

I found Rocket Lawyer on google search engine. I went straight away to creating document by clicking the link. At the end before I could print off the document, it required to enter payment info. And I had a look and so sure the amount being charged was $0. I didn't see anything about trail membership or other options regarding any memberships. (* they might have changed the interface or setting at the backstage anytime they like. Who would know?). But I am sure I wasn't presented to any choices of memberships or monthly fee before I submit my payment info. It was 12/31/2014. On 1/3/2015, I was shocked to see $99 was charged by Rocket Lawyer. I didn't receive any invoices, no receipt either, no email regarding what this payment for. I logged in to the account they created for me (I received email and was told they created an account for me to store my document after I submitted payment info, but nothing about fee and membership). So I found out my account was set to a monthly payment membership, which cost $40 per month. So I quickly downgraded it. But no way to remove the account and payment info.

Tip for consumers: Stay away from these scammers.

carriew20
12/30/14

free trial means it will charge you month by month and without any notification, never try it's just terrible.

chadp8
12/28/14

The best you are going to get with this site is a $40 document review. When I signed up, I thought I was getting at least a document review with my free trial. Nope - just as expected from hell hole that is San Francisco, you don't get much for free. $40 is the monthly rate and even then it's terrible. All I could get was a document review. A simple question of mine could not be answered because the lawyer I was put into contact with independent contract lawyer stated that my monthly membership was outside of the scope for Rocket Lawyer and wanted money upfront. What's even pissed me off even more was when I complained about this to Rocket Lawyer, they cancelled my membership and that was it. No refund, no response.

Tip for consumers: Don't bother with this site. It's just another startup that will fail and the greedy lawyers just want money to pay for their student loans and $3000 monthly closet.

ruthd10
12/21/14

This is a scam to get your credit card. I worked on the draft for at least 10 hours under the "free trial," went to print it, Rocket Lawyer demanded a credit card that you can "cancel at any time," now the draft (which I saved throughout the whole process, is gone. Not starting over--just canceling card.

Tip for consumers: Do not use this site.

aurin
12/10/14

Shortly after visiting RocketLawyer website and setting up a profile, my yahoo email account was compromised. I would advise anyone needing online legal documents to go in a different direction. I highly suggest you do not create a profile.

peterf42
12/9/14

It seems nearly all of the negative reviewers didn't bother to read what I saw very clearly. Use your head - any "free" website asking for a credit card will always have some sort of automatic billing that you need to back out of after a trial period, just like your "free" HBO/Showtime Comcast/Xfinity deals; they expire, then your bill goes up because you forgot, too bad, so sad. So what I did after saving and printing my form, which I always have free access to whether I pay or not, just like they promise, I "downgrade" my subscription immediately. No fuss, no muss, no bill. Don't blame this website for nailing you later for not reading what you agreed to.

Tip for consumers: READ THE INSTRUCTIONS - It's not free unless you cancel before SEVEN DAYS.

jazzym
11/21/14

Definitely do not give your credit card as that is a scam to bill it. There is s loop-hole though to getting a document made and not having to give them your credit card. When it tries to collect your number, just quit. Do the document, get to the finish, add you login/email info...but don't complete the CC part. In a few minutes you'll get an email with a link to your document. You can't copy and paste but you can download a pdf version. Open the pdf in Gimp or Photoshop and white out the spam at the bottom of the pages. Save each page as a jpg image, then use imagemagic (free) to combine the jpgs back into a pdf. Actually not hard- I did a five page loan agreement all told in under 30 minutes.

Tip for consumers: Your credit card WILL be charged in all cases.

mikeg95
11/10/14

Beware the 7 day free trial is a scam to automatically charge your credit card . I was automatically charged $39.95 and when I asked for a refund the company refereed to the terms and agreement (small print ). Very disappointed because the site is easy and user friendly and if I needed the service in the future I would of paid but the way they scam you out of a monthly fee is deceiving and not necessary for a reputable company .

Tip for consumers: Beware of the FRED trial offer .

susanm92
11/2/14

I signed up for a 7-day trial and then decided that I did not want to use this service. Of course, they ask for credit card information just to try out the service, which is something I generally will not do, but I really wanted to see what this service could do. I tried logging into my account, but it would not accept my credentials. I tried having a password reset, but that feature would not work. So, I sent an email to RocketLawyer stating that I wanted to cancel. I did all of this to make sure I would not be charged anything. Now, there's a charge on my credit card that I am disputing. I think this company is scamming people.

davidy24
10/22/14

Terminated my trial membership, and still charges my $40!!!!

Tip for consumers: Dont use Rocket Lawer trial!!

at377
9/18/14

If I could but negative star I would. I have been fighting with them because they are taking 39.99 out of my account every month. I have 3 emails and they all day that there is no record and they don't know why I am being charged but they still continue. I will be going to the BBC. This is ridiculous. I am so frustrated with this company and its employees. Stay away!!! Far far away. They with scam you out of money and play dumb.

Tip for consumers: Stay away!!! Scam.

michaels210
9/15/14

Rip Off.

Tip for consumers: Patent applications are not documents but forms to them, which they don't tell you in the first place. So they are not elligible under the On Call Benefits...

paulr89
8/20/14

I will never use this service again, I lost nearly 600$ hundred dollars; I actually spent less money by searching the internet for my own attorney. And another $400 on the attorney. $1000 for what could have cost me $400.

Tip for consumers: Use google and find a real attorney, two hours of the attorney's time less than 400$ vs 2 months of my time on Rocketlawyer and about 600$ lost.

karenl43
8/4/14

Don't give them your bank information!!! They won't stop charging!

patb39
8/4/14

All I wanted was one of their "free" forms, what I got was months of debits to my credit card. The best advice I can offer is run away from these cretins, they are at best scammers and at worst criminals. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER, BETTER YET, DON'T EVEN GO TO THEIR SITE. Just going to their site will require that you take a shower just to get the slime off. Heed the advice of all of us that have been ripped off, STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

leeb36
8/3/14

Allows you to create a "Free document" then at the last page before the document is ready, they ask you to register, so they can send you emails, and you lose the document completely. Don't waste your time. Run away.
There are better alternatives out there.

crystalw9
7/29/14

Would not refund my money after I was unaware of being billed. My "account" screen has no record of my credit card information, dates or amounts billed, and I never received any receipts that they claimed to email me. I am reporting them to the BBB.

kkm
7/16/14

They wasted my time, by showing no information about that at the end they will ask my credit card information. I wasted my time creating a document I could not get unless I pay them $60 or give my credit card information.
Did not like business practices.

joang9
7/14/14

If you do an internet search Rocket Lawyer comes up with the results. The reason I chose to go with them was the word "FREE". Yeah not true. You go through the whole filling of files, forms etc and then you get a message "you can try for 1 month free and then your "credit card" will be charged after the month. I would have been happy to pay about $3.00 for this document but that was not an option. This

ss99
7/6/14

I read a couple reviews of the best online software for creating living trusts and Rocket Lawyer came highly recommended. However, when I went to the site I couldn't figure out how many forms to fill out for a living trust and power of attorney so I chose 2 of them and spent an hour or two answering the questions. When I finished I could not retrieve the documents and could not see them until I provided my credit card information for a free one-week trial. It also indicated after the one-week monthly trial I would be charged a monthly fee. I don't want continuing service. I really only wanted to create a legal living trust and durable power of attorney document. After reading other user's reviews I think I will shop elsewhere.

elizabethw32
6/23/14

In order to ask a question you have a very limited space in which to ask (700 characters) my question was a little complicated so I was unable to really explain it with that limitation, but I did my best condensing it. They were supposed to be fast with their answers but a couple days later there was still nothing, so I ended up cancelling the membership and going on justanswers.com and paid for a QUICK and detailed response. Then tonight I FINALLY got an answer on rocket lawyer. It was the worst answer ever, the guy didn't understand anything I was asking, which I partly blame on their limit of 700 characters and partly on the fact that the guy didn't seem like he really even read the whole thing. This company is awful, don't waste your time.

kk51
5/6/14

I too had trouble with site. I couldn't find the place to cancel on the site. Says first doc. Is free but beware as is you don't cancel before 7 th day you will be charged 39.99 regardless of only doing one doc. I disputed unsuccessfully and will be watching closely for future charges. Stay away from this site.

philp11
5/6/14

This comapny is an absolute scam. Stay away!!!

andreaw15
5/1/14

Charged my credit card for 5 months even though I never gavethem my card number. They would not tell me the email account which signed me up for their "services". Had to have Bank of America fraud division investigate this matter. They are a scam.

jamesd93
4/30/14

This website is a total scam. They purposefully obfuscate your account/billing information, making it impossible to remove/change your credit card information once they have it as well as see when you will be billed again. I will end up having to dispute the charges with my CC company. Absolutely shameful and unscrupulous business practices, even worse behavior than pornography websites.

daryl-dmoneyg
4/25/14

Best staff ever! Very attentive. Any services offered for Corps and business structuring are actually done by real people.

davidm182
4/21/14

RocketLawyer.com is a scam. Their 877 number is a waste of time as nobody answers. RefundRequest@RocketLawyer first responded after about one week of my first e-mail. Then, they referred me to my credit card company. I requested a complete record of my account and intend to move my grievance forward. RocketLawyer is doomed for failure based on their ongoing illegitimate business practices. Don't waste your time and money with Rocket Lawyer.

macd9
4/6/14

total scam. they are not legit and totally dishonorable in how they do business. do not sing up for anything.

robertw89
4/4/14

Despite all the other negative reviews, I signed up on Rocket Lawyer in need of a Form for Selling a piece of property. It was easy to use and completed my sale. Before the 8 days, I went in and cancelled using the drop down menu that they instruct you to use to end your subscription. Very user friendly and extremely easy to use. It was cancelled immediately. Never a fee charged to my credit card and an nice email thanking me for my time in visiting their site, etc. I think most people just don't take the time to read, don't cancel in time and then end~up getting charged. My advice: Read the fine print & follow the cancel instructions.

ericw38
3/28/14

This is a horrible site. The forms are impossible to use and it's impossible to downgrade after the "free" trial, they keep billing you even after you cancel. Total scam artists. Had to open a CC dispute.

emilyw22
3/23/14

Total scam. Offers "free trial" with nowhere to cancel free trial. When you select free trial it also does not inform you that you will be billed a couple days later a ridiculous amount of money. Terrible customer service... They won't answer the phone or return emails promptly. They will then use fine print to justify their scam. Dishonest website.

angieh9
3/14/14

Total scam. Don't sign up for the free trial. You will not be able to speak to a real human being. they'll just throw you in circles.

scottw45
3/9/14

Awful experience regarding getting legal help (got run around), and trying to cancel (not yet done successfully).
Scam - will be fighting them with creditcard.

heatherc22
2/19/14

Free trial is a scam. I went onto site after 6 days and 'downgraded' there was no place to actually hit 'cancel'. I was still charged $35.95 for one month. Tried to call 877 number to dispute, was on hold for 27 minutes, no one picked up. I also emailed my complaint, never heard back. Stay away from this company, there is ZERO customer service, free trial is not free and and they will charge you.

timb50
2/15/14

Like so many others, I wanted one "free" form. It cost me $80 for a simple loan document. Total scam.

momi9
2/12/14

Tried the site for a Quit Claim form. Seemed easy enough to input my info...but at the end the form printed wrong (names were in wrong place!) so I couldn't use it. Ended up going to Office Max for a paper form. I cancelled my plan...Then they STILL CHARGED ME. I called to have them refund my money, she said she does show that I cancelled before the week free trial was up, but now I had to send an email stating that I require a refund, with all the details etc. Bad Experience with RocketLawer.

dn14
2/10/14

Rocket Lawyer automatically charged my checking account just under $300 to renew a generally worthless membership. Not realizing that they would automatically renew, I downgraded my account immediately and requested a refund. After the first e-mail, I received a response saying that I needed to direct my complaint to a refund-specific address, which I then did. Four additional e-mails and two and a half weeks later, I have still not received any response.

I am not normally one to complain, and if there was a mistake made on my part to cause the automatic withdrawal I would certainly have accepted that and dealt with it. However, they have made absolutely no attempt to contact me or to resolve this issue. Absolutely poor.

This is also not the first time that I have received no response from Rocket Lawyer. Though they were generally useful in helping me form my first LLC, they completely ignored my questions regarding forming another. Of course, my current situation is a lot more frustrating, as they have $300 in charges that I anticipate having to dispute very soon.

5 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the RocketLawyer staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Has anyone had a good experience with the lawyer referral service?
6/11/13
Answer
jackw74
A: no
2 weeks ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Q: I would like to know how good it is. I'm doing a power attorney for my mother.
4/6/15
Answer
sarahw57
A: I would agree with Bill T. Fortunately a Power of Attorney is an easy document to create and any office supply store or Amazon will have one in stock. Save your money on Rocket Lawyer, the service is worthless. I reached out to them a few times over the years to try to get advice and the best I ever got from them was to "hire an attorney". LOL! Complete waste of time.
4/6/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the RocketLawyer staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?
RocketLawyer?