US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

jazzym

Definitely do not give your credit card as that is a scam to bill it. (in 36 reviews)

chrisp119

Rocket Lawyer advertised free forms so I started making a document. (in 43 reviews)

jj168

I signed up for Rocket Lawyer and i'm on the free 7 day trial and have not provided my credit card yet. (in 3 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

nettien1
5/4/16

I've been utilizing Rocket Lawyer for a couple of years now and it has proven to be a great service. The Attorney assistance that is provided is also very timely and helpful.

Nettie Nelson

jaimeh17
5/4/16

This place is a fraud!! Charged ibu's for two months which was $80 and never helped us with anything and never even responded to our questions

erikh24
4/29/16

I purchased a simple form from them on line for $5. That was worth my not having to continue to research it. I didn't buy their service nor ask them for any further help and certainly didn't contract them at any level. They started using my credit card without my knowledge and billed me $39.95 for some Phantom vapor-ware fraudulent service for 2 months. I didn't catch the first one because someone else paid that bill, but I caught it on the second bill. Both were subsequently reimbursed by my CC company but not until i wasted a hour dealing with it. Bad choice to do business with.

shanb4
4/29/16

Needed to draw up a legal document, rocket lawyer looked legit. But then when they required my full credit card details to get the single document for free, or pay a one-time £10.00 fee for the document, I became suspicious and sceptical. Really glad I came here and read these reviews before thinking: 'Oh well I'll just sign up now for free and cancel later in the day or tomorrow.' I see them replying to every concern here with a generic message, I think with over a 100 awful reviews; if I was running a company, I'd have to explain myself with more than just generic templates.

brianf78
3/31/16

Wouldn't use this company for anything. Horrible service quality will not stand by there mistakes or work with you in anyway. Suggest staying away from them totally.

judyb51
3/31/16

We forgot to cancel our free trial period and didn't realize we were being charged $39.95 per month until 4 months had passed! I called expecting to get a lot of flack, but the representative (Jude) was very kind understanding, and gave us a full refund (minus the $5 promotion which was what was what we signed up for). They have good legal documents if you need them, and better yet, back up their offer. Can't beat that! Thank you Rocket Lawyer!!!

elizabethk67
3/30/16

Used site for documents put in my card number for a "free trial" and the next day there were fraudulent charges in my bank account for items purchased at Best Buy among other Internet transactions. DO NOT fall for this company's scam they will steal your money and when contacted about fraudulent charges they said they do not investigate these things but would offer legal representation! Are you kidding!? STAY AWAY!

vant17
3/26/16

Site stated I would get a doc for free if I filled in my info. After doing so I was told that I can only download it IF I signed up. Did that, and was told I needed to get a free trial. All and all, lost $39. Scumbags. There is literally no point replying to these reviews if you intend to act in an unethical manner. Stay away! - Van

russellr18
3/15/16

My advice: do NOT use RocketLawyer for anything. The site claims that everything is free, and even helps you create your doc', but then won't release your doc. until you give them all your credit card info. And as you will see on other "scam warning" sites, RocketLawyer often bills people for a form or something that was supposed to be free. Very aggravating. Steer clear of this site and this company.

davisa6
3/10/16

They automatically billed me even though I never signed up for anything beyond free trial. Canceling an account with them was very hard and has yet to go through. I could not be more unsatisfied. They bill you $40 each month even on a free account and to cancel you have to delete all documents and then send their support an email. Even on my account page it says free membership yet they bill. I want a refund.

gregr32
3/9/16

If you sign up for this service's FREE trial, be sure to check back with them because they begin charging your card immediately, and continue monthly with out ever shooting you an email invoice.
BAD BUSINESS!!

zacharym23
2/29/16

These people are unbelievable idiots. I gave them two entities to register and they screwed both of them up. They wouldn't return my calls and caused my business purchase to be delayed. Don't use them!

glennw32
2/25/16

You advertised a free Georgia Trust so I did the Q&A only to get to the end and forced to choose a $39.95 per month fee charge or a one time $5.00 charge which I selected to get my document. Then immediately you charged an unauthorized $39.95 on the debit/credit card. And, No! the online agreement thingy does not over ride my clear choice of $5.00 for the document. I see the internet is full of warnings about your tactics. I request immediate reversal of the $39.95 and your can charge the one time $5.00 as you offered and I accepted. My account (another story in that I registered years ago and paid a "one time fee for life full free documents - which was false) is vern@vernwilsonlaw.com. Thank you, Vern Wilson, licensed attorney. 727-585-6366

Tip for consumers: Rocket lawyer will charge you credit card amounts you did not agree to.

harels
2/4/16

Biggest scam going online this days
You'll never hear from them after they got their money from you
Usually I'm pretty good at not falling for scams like that but they totally got me. STAY AWAY!!!

chrism226
2/4/16

I wish I'd come looking for these reviews before using RocketLawyer. I purchased their services for $85 up front and a $49 a month monthly fee. During registration, I answered questions as to what kind of services I needed, ILC, Non-Profit 501 (c) 3 classification. They immediately completed the incorporation, but sent vague emails about me needing to follow up with them about the non-profit status. four phone calls and three emails later I finnaly got to ask someone what the next steps were for completing the 501 (c) 3. Their answer...Give us $480 more. I called to cancel my services and they explained that they were now listed as my agent for the non-profit and that I would have to file to have them removed. They could do it for me for another $100. Wowsers, what a scam. This company's practices appear illegal, but I cant afford to pay them to file the claim!!!

leonardc17
1/15/16

Do NOT use this service! Gave my CC info then realized their forms did not apply to my situation. Could not cancel and the $39.95 charge went through. Now, months later I get additional charges.

These guys are internet thieves.

stephenc71
1/15/16

I found a $39.50 charge to my debit card that was not authorized by me. They claim to be a free service but they took funds from my account anyways

mandyt11
1/15/16

I run my own advice website mostly aimed at people taking in lodgers. When I went onto Rocketlawyer's UK site to see their lodger agreement, this specifically grants the lodger, who is usually a LICENSEE (provided he/she shares living accommodation with the live in landlord) a TENANCY.

In the UK, a lodger sharing living accommodation is granted a LICENCE in England and Wales and a limited TENANCY only in Scotland and Northern Ireland. The Rocket Lawyer site should therefore first ask the visitor to stipulate which UK nation they will be letting in, then supply an agreement accordingly.

It is very much a matter of concern that a site purportedly run by legally qualified people is making such a fundamental error and leaving people open to possible tenancy claims by disgruntled lodgers which could mean they then need a court order to evict. They are also likely to be in violation of their mortgage, insurance or tenancy agreement (if they in turn rent from a live out landlord) if they set up a tenancy instead of a licence.

The agreement should also not refer to the live in landlord as the "owner" as this is misleading if they are in turn renting as a tenant from a head live out landlord.

alexist11
1/13/16

I would give this a ZERO star if I could. I should know better than to give a site my credit card information, but I remember when I did it, I was in a complete bind and needed help quick. Of course I am not going to remember after a week that I need to cancel this subscription. Thats the SCAM they want you to fall into. I mostly blame myself, but its extremely sad and maddening that there are so many "businesses" and people that are out to just take peoples money!! This site wasn't even any help to me, so I ended up paying 3 months 1) without knowing it and 2) For absolutely NOTHING! Mostly what I don't understand is why I was charged for the $39.95 membership and not just the $7 membership. Another shocking thing is that I checked my email to see if I even got any emails, like normal sites send when you sign up for something, and NOPE. Nothing! SO that makes me believe that they didn't want to me to remember that I even signed up because that would mean I would have cancelled after a week. As you can see I am ANGRY, which doesn't happen for me very often.

Tip for consumers: AVOID COMPLETELY!!!!!

joeb193
1/6/16

This site should be renamed RIPOFF Lawyer because that is what they are.

Scammed me for 6 months. Definitely not worth the cost.

tonys101
12/19/15

Horrible! BEWARE OF USING THIS SITE! They billed $39.99 a month for 17 months before I could get them to stop. THIS IS ONE OF THE ALL TIME SCAMS IN THIS COUNTRY.

paolag3
12/9/15

I want to CANCEL ! NOT DOWNGRADE. But when I push Cancel I get something that says " not goodbye, you have been moved to free membership " .

clark-stewarta
12/4/15

They now have changed their web site slightly but I am still out $79.90 that they refuse to refund. And the form I used was useless in the end.

leoi2
12/3/15

Save your hard earned $$ this company is a total scam. They will constantly try to upsell you, use scare tactics ("S corp compliance!"), take your money and never reply to any questions you have through the contact us email. Worst of all, even legal questions asked through the portal and are not responded to--unbelievable. PLEASE PLEASE do yourself a favor and save your $$.

atab
12/2/15

Used them for incorporation with additional fees. As a result, now having a 250$ penalties from Franchise State board for not filing some additional paperwork. No clear instructions, no clear help -" we apologize". Did the rental contract through them- complete fiasco.
Their "lawyers" consultation is about how you need to become their client and pay 300$ for the consult. Stay away from these people. they need a real job.

andyp39
12/1/15

I only needed on document. After sending in my info for them to prepare my document, i decided only to pay $5 for the one-time service.

Supposedly we create the document. And we can further supposedly use their e-sign when we send it to somebody else to execute, etc. Next the document gets e-mailed to whomever else needs to execute it. In this it was myself -- to a second e-mail address i use.

On that second e-mail address i received a message that i "have a document waiting for me." I click on the "sign now" document. And it forces me to create an account. But here no credit card needed, supposedly. I should have the document ready for me to download and e-sign.

Well... i see the document. BUT THERE IS NO WAY TO E-SIGN THE DOCUMENT. Even though their FAQs specify there is an e-Sign log. No there isn't! I e-mailed them for advise; but the auto-response was to wait 24-48 hours.

So i simply ended up printing the document and i executed the hard copy.

If the charge is only $5, then i suppose it is okay. But if i see more charges i will dispute them all.

flavios12
11/25/15

Rocket Lawyer "free" document is a trap for rip off !!! If you want a "free" document, first they ask you to fill it with all your info. Second step, they will ask you to agree with their "Terms of Use" and then.......the rip off...........It is not just a "Terms of Use" like everybody knows and agrees. There is a obligation to you become their member with monthly charge included!!!. If you don't cancel your NOT ASKED membership in 7 days, they will charge you forever. Even if you send emails asking to cancel it, they will NEVER answer. Stay away from Rocket Lawyer !!!

cherylh29
11/20/15

Their site tricks you into a monthly fee

joeh87
11/18/15

Signed up for the 7 day trial, then looked over documents and downloaded one, but it turned out to be not what I wanted, so I cancelled online. But then 3 months later I found I was getting charged $39.95 a month anyways, even after cancelling. Reported them to my credit card company and put a block on them. STAY AWAY!!

douglasc25
11/17/15

I used the site to make one very simple legal document five months ago, and was then charged $39.95/mo because Rocket Lawyer claims that I signed up for a free trail that was transformed into a monthly plan because I did not discontinue the free trail within seven days. I remember carefully selecting the option that did not provide for this, but, of course, I have no proof of this. This should not be legal, and I expect that it is not, but I simply don't have time to pursue this. Rocket Lawyer has developed a corrupt, but effective, If anyone begins a class-action lawsuit, please let me know.

kelas1
11/6/15

Firstly i never recieved any paperwork that i asked for on the one time trial documents. Them rocket lawyer signed me up without my permission. They won't lete cancel under my login account otherwise. But i contactedy bank. So hopefully they can straight things out. Please beware rocket lawyer is not what they claim to be.

vadiml9
11/4/15

I never signed up but they started to steel 40.00 every month

jamiek32
11/3/15

I contacted this site to complete a very simple affidavit for the State of Arkansas. The site represents that it has templates for all states. Apparently not, for me, anyway. There was no place for attestation of uninterested parties, which Arkansas requires two. Also there were no additional Notary attestations for the three affiant signatures required within the document. I sent them an email regarding the issues and just, today, received a boiler plate email that was as useless as the service offered. Thank goodness I was only ripped of $10.00.

melvat
10/23/15

I subscribed to Rocket Lawyer and find it very helpful. I have some experience with legal forms, and find Rocket Lawyer to be simple and easy to use. I use it for leases, contracts, deeds, agreements, etc. It can also do more complex things like wills and trusts.They walk you through making a document and store it for you so you can edit it for future use. Great for small businesses, or anyone who doesn't want to pay a lawyer $250 to do a simple document. I suspect he has his secretary use a program similar to this to do it for him..

mrsk3
10/22/15

I had to close my bank account so they would stop charging $39.95 per month. There is no such thing as free with this company. Don't go there!

jamesr151
10/17/15

Rocket lawyer will tell you it is free, but after a period they start charging your account $39.95 per month. If they were legit then you would most likely here from them via email with info or updates on a regular basis. You will not, they are a scam outfit do not use them.
Update: after seeing my review Rocket Lawyer refunded a couple of months of fees they charged me and are no longer charging my account.

timg41
10/12/15

It's my fault for being lax in reading my monthly statements and ended up being charged $160.00 for what ends up being one document. I am sure there was little square I didn''t check or something easily slipped in on the unsuspecting that authorized it. That being said I believe that is what they count on. Start a monthly billing and see how many payments they collect before the unsuspecting becomes aware.

cherim7
10/11/15

This site is a scam. period. I usually don't write reviews but it was so awful that I felt compelled. I wasted hours and hours of my time creating a legal document that I thought I would be able to send electronically for signatures and the recipients were never able to access it. Then when I tried to access it again I was locked out and have not been able to access it since. I am so upset that I wasted so much time to create a document that I cannot even use!! The people at Rocket Lawyer should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.

mk71
10/8/15

Just stay away with this

debc12
10/7/15

I submitted my credit card for one week free service. They supposedly would charge my account $39.95 after 7 days unless I cancelled before the 7 days. Low and behold...my bank card was charged $39.95 20 minutes after the transaction was completed. I was unable to get the document edited so I was not even able to use their services.

When I called the service rep to complain and request a refund I asked him how this happened? He said it must have been a computer glitch. Glitch...my hiney!!! They have it set up that way. It makes me mad thinking about the people who get charged like this and probably don't realize it. If you do catch this so called "error" they will refund your money. It makes me sick how they are intentionally ripping people off.

I will tell any and everybody I know not to deal with these SCAM artists.

chazm1
10/7/15

Nice of them to hide that I had to change my free trail status after realizing I had been billed $39 for something I didn't use and didn't suit my needs.

In simple English this is a scam and I will spread the word to the best of my ability about Rocket Lawyer.

I should have realized trusting anything to be upfront that has the word Lawyer in it.

brianb137
10/4/15

Steer clear of this company! Do not use!

Rocket Lawyer's customer service is the worst I have ever experienced. From day one the person who filed my LLC papers had a very poor attitude. If you get their legal services subscription service and then cancel it they terminate your service immediately and do not let your account run through the end of the paid period. This is a clear rip-off but they don't seem to care. A supposed legal firm is deserving of a class action lawsuit through sheer negligence, unbelievable. But the problems continue. I notified them in writing twice that I didn't wish to renew registered agent service, and they still charged my card anyway.

jonf26
9/30/15

Told me something wasn't a legal matter even though it is and requires a Deed of Trust to resolve - exactly the area they claim to specialise in. Wont be going near them again as clearly not as good as they think they are.

serrac
9/24/15

The questionnaires provide limited options needed to individualize legal documents. Some of the "help" call-outs provide answers that are not available on the questionnaire. I had to download to a .docx and edit just to add something that is common on similar documents. Then, I had to research my answer before submitting it to a lawyer for review. The plan includes only 2 legal reviews per month with maximum 10 reviews per year. So, be confident before you submit a document for legal review.

The sales-representative mislead me about the service. Read details for yourself before signing up.

Use Nolo -- the questionnaires and explanations are better. Or, use LegalZoom. My boss gets great results with it.

jenniferf44
9/11/15

I got my divorce papers from this site and had to drive 90 miles to file them. I got to the court clerk's office and they rejected them and wouldn't let me file them and said they are in no way actually legal to file in that state. The clerk felt sorry for me and gave me some sample documents and told me to retype with all of my information and I would be guaranteed my divorce. I went to the local library there and used their computer to type everything up, then had to drive an additional 30 miles out of my way to locate my [soon to be] exhusband and have him sign THOSE papers and have them notarized, then go BACK, another 30 miles, file the papers, then FINALLY go home. It took me FIVE YEARS to get my ex to sign divorce papers and I was lucky he was willing to sign the second set, but not without him raising questions as to WHY I needed a second set to begin with. Then, NINE HOURS after I started my journey (what was supposed to be an easy journey )that morning, I was finally able to begin the 90 mile drive back home.

Bottom line----Unless you want to risk a HUGE inconvenience, do NOT use their documents, free or not free! Sure, I printed them out for free, but they still came with a BIG cost in fuel and in time.

dl72
9/11/15

Waisted a lot of my time before getting to the credit card information page which I did not give them, so I got nothing but email from their system. Will be interesting to see if they honor my opt out of email request or not. My time is NOT free.

jj168
9/6/15

I signed up for Rocket Lawyer and i'm on the free 7 day trial and have not provided my credit card yet. So far I've been able to create 4 contracts without having to pay. I will be purchasing the most basic package because it fits my needs. The verbiage and information on all contracts is great! The problem with the past reviews is that people are not good customers... and they are obviously not computer saavy! Had they read through the offers and understood what was needed (meaning your card is not necessary) they would not be complaining!! #Happybusinessowner

chrisp119
8/20/15

A week ago I needed two leases for condos that I'm renting out. Rocket Lawyer advertised free forms so I started making a document. Some other reviewers have complained that they don't ask for your credit card info or tell you you will be automatically signed up for a $39.95 per month program, until after you do your whole document. That is true, and for that I have deducted one star. But if you cancel (downgrade) within the week, they say you are not charged. I didn't find out because after 6 days I went on the site to cancel and they offered to downgrade me to $1 per month. For me it's worth $1 per month to have my leases stored on the site, with the ability to make changes and create new documents. I went to my account and it showed that I was billed $1.
I hate to be skeptical, but with all the bad reviews, I still think there might be a chance that charges might start to appear on my credit card bill. But it's also possible that there are many people who expect too much for free. The site was clear that I would start being charged if I didn't cancel within a week.
So all things considered, I am pleased with the services provided.
UPDATE: I have continued to be charged only $1 per month. I have not used the site since the original two contracts several months ago, but I'm happy to be able to edit those contracts, if need be, and to create new documents for free.

lindag82
8/19/15

This is only a one week free trial after that they charge you per month but they do not
tell you that until the very last page. Now you have given them all your personal information and bank account information and there is no back button! So go change
all your bank passwords immediately! They should not be allowed to have this website set up in this manner.

priscillab5
8/6/15

I signed up but guess i didn't see the fine print that the trial is for one week. I got charged 39 for basically creating one NDA. what is more annoying is that while i unknowingly had "premium" subscription for a month i only got one NDA out of it and basically didn't get to use the site much at all. had i known they would charge me i would not have used their service.

13 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Rocket Lawyer staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
3 weeks ago
Answer
mattp20
A: Patti, thank you for your question.
Without seeing your account, I'm unable to confirm the actual status; however, If you selected the $5.00 option, you will not be billed for the monthly membership. If you would like us to verify this for you, please email customeroutreach@rocketlawyer.com (or you can call MON-FRI 6AM-6PM PST 877-881-0947) with your email address that was used on the website. We would be happy to look into this for you.
2 weeks ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
3/11/16
Answer
mattp20
A: We do carry many legal documents on our site that may assist you with your legal needs; however, Rocket Lawyer is not a law firm and cannot provide legal advice. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

If you are unsure about what to do in your situation and need help, you can always connect with an attorney in your area to address your particular situation by browsing our Lawyer Directory. Members of Rocket Lawyer in either a monthly or annual Legal Plan are eligible for our On Call program, which includes free attorney reviews of documents, discounted hourly lawyer services and much more.

Additionally, members and trial members can ask a quick legal question here and get a response within a business day from a lawyer that specializes in that issue.

For additional information or assistance, please contact our Customer Service team at 877-881-0947 Mon - Fri 6am-6pm PST.
3/14/16