US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

lloydm

This "person" could have bought this item using "Buy Now" at least 5-6 times over. (in 417 reviews)

mattl38

My advice: Try it ONLY if you have money to burn and you really don't care if you lose it – like at a Casino. (in 364 reviews)

ronm45

I, too, paid $60 for the original 100 bids and won $75 in gift cards and won a kitchen appliance valued at over $120. (in 63 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

eddiec2
2/27/11

Just for those who haven't stopped to think that the organizers of this bidding site haven't thought it out themselves, just take this into consideration. If the item you bid on, a vacuum for example, is sold for $60.00, at .60 a bid, it brought in $3600.00, after they pay the $450 (probably less as they by in bulk), they have profited over $3200 on a $450 dollar investment. A comparison would be your gas station buying a gallon of gas for $3.00 and selling it to you for $24. Ya just gotta be savvy when bidding or you will be losing your butt. If you can't afford to take a loss once in awhile, then don't get involved.

marshaj
2/26/11

I am very careful when bidding. I don't bid on high priced items. I have won many gift cards over 50.00 for no more than 15 bids each which is only 9.00 from the bid. I love this site!!!!!! You need to watch the bidding, find best day and time. It takes a little effort, but well worth it.

leonards1
2/25/11

I spend $120 in bids and didn't win anything. If anyone wins anything on Quibids, they get it at expense of everyone else.

garym12
2/25/11

I don't see how I am losing! I signed up, they gave me 100 free bids, I've bid and won on a $100 Lowes gift card (winning bid was $.37) and a $15 Walmart gift card (winning bid was $.24). Both came with additional bids attached. My bid total I have now is 122. I haven't bought any bids and I'm up about $110 bucks after you take away the $.61 plus the $4 processing fees.

What am I missing?!

cindys5
2/24/11

Whoever heard of having to PAY for EACH bid (being that you are only allowed to bid in 1 to 5 CENT increments) and LOSING that money when you are OUTBID?

richardp9
2/24/11

I bought the now requisite $60. for 100 bids. The only auction that it seems realistic to win is for more bids. I stayed up all night watching and bidding a Canon 5D MarkII. I know I should get a life. This is a $3300 camera/lens combo. All of a sudden, with 11 people auto-bidding, someone wins at $560.00. Same thing happened on a Nikon D7000. I thought, well I should aim lower. I did. A $100 external hard drive. Same thing. This is like playing the lottery. No doubt, this is a great business model. Every bid raises the price by 1 cent. I saw people put in over 100 bids and drop out. Thousands of bids for 1 camera or TV. If you like being glued to your computer, and seek the thrill of gambling, this may be the cat's pajamas. However, if something sounds too good too be true, it is. And in this case, it definitely is too good to be true.

bobo2
2/24/11

I jumped in without checking it out first.. I took only one item to convince me its a scam, scam , scam...I only lost $50 to learn my lesson.

dianep3
2/23/11

All I did was sign up and was reading the rules and they charged my bank account $60 in the first 60 seconds ...
They said I had made a purchase of 100 bids at $.60 each! I DID NOT!
I complained immediately and they said they would refund the money since no transaction had been made.
Now tell me this ... how can they charge me for a purchase they said I made and then say no transaction had been made???
Oh ... and was the money put back in my account? ... not for 2 to 3business days! They jolly well took it out in a flash with no problem! I will be watching and I won't return to their page, ever, for fear of being scammed again!

georgel6
2/23/11

No one here seems to understand that the site is intended for a CHANCE at a discount. You are very fairly warned when you are exceeding the amount of retail price and if you can not do the math to figure that out, then you should probably be spending your money else where. It is very simple bid on items you can afford at retail price and you won't be disappointed. Yes the site is making money off the retards who are not educated enough to examine what they are doing before they do it, but who shouldn't. This site is an altered design of other auction sites and every single person who hates on them should shut their mouth because there is no way you would ever turn down this kind of idea if it belonged to yourself.

elizabethy
2/22/11

They tell you how easy it is and even start you on a beginners auction that you, of course, win for cheap, then you try to win anything else and you get outbid. Every auction I was biding on went for way more than the same item in another auction. Makes me wonder if I'm really bidding against someone else or a computer. I've used eBay for years and am a pretty savvy bidder, but this site is ridiculous. And the newbies don't seem to realize how much money they're actually spending in bids, on 1 auction. At least I was able to bid on over 20 auctions with my meager 141 bids ( kind of like playing the penny slots in Vegas). Quibids is making a fortune and I just paid $65 for a $10 gift card. Shame on me.

justina1
2/22/11

I signed up last night for quibids after hearing some thing about the site. The buy in was a bit steep at $60 since they make you purchase 100 bids your first time using the site.

I spent 1 bid and immediately won a voucher for 25 virtual bids.

I then spent another 3 bids and won a $130 pair of oakleys.
I then spent another 10 bids and won another $130 pair of oakleys.

After that I wasted some bids between the two pairs of oakleys on items that I didn't really want all that bad that were going for more than I bargained to pay. After winning the three auctions in a matter of 45 minutes the site cut me off for 24 hours, as your are not allowed to win more than three auctions within that time period.

All in all, as of now, I am up 24 bids than I originally paid for, as one of the pairs of sunglasses came with 25 free virtual bids. They also gave me some bids for winning auctions.

I am already up $200 and I've been on the site for 45 minutes in my brief experience with quibids. AWESOME WEBSITE. GREAT IDEA. USE STRATEGY!!!! Look for auctions with "single" bidders and the fewer the better.

I am a student at Boston College and I'm looking to sell these items on ebay to make some quick cash. GREAT EXPERIENCE. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

trm
2/21/11

Quibids is the cream of the crop for penny auctions. Don't get me wrong - you have to understand the penny auction paradigm. You buy bids - at say 60 cents each. Then you make irrevocable bids on a variety of great items from computers to vacations, cameras etc. Remember that once you place the bid, the 60 cents is spent. The idea is to strategically bid until you're the last one left. This can take a few hours for the bigger ticket items and requires discipline and patience to win. And you might not, so don't spend more than you're willing to lose. Just like Vegas. But the savings can be incredible. A $6000 Australian vacation went for $214 the other day. But remember that $214 translates to 21,400 penny-bids that cost 60 cents each. So the seller got roughly $12,000 for a $6000 item - but all the losers combined paid for that - to the winner's benefit. There are $25 - $50 items for the timid, so don't lose hope to win. You can if you're patient and smart. Anyway, Quibids is the best of the bunch. I've won a couple thousands worth of merchandise combined for hundreds of dollars. Not bad - and kinda fun.

pamd3
2/19/11

I can't believe I fell for Quibids. I should have known better. If they cared one bit about their customers, Quibids would close themselves down.

vincentn
2/18/11

Yeah, thought it was great and totally got suckered. I did win an Ipad for $43. 28 days, 8 of which are "weekends" so 20 business days and no Ipad, not even a tracking number. Several emails and all I got was "I spoke to the vendor and because of the current weather conditions in the midwest shipping is delayed. Kicker is, it was paid for and should have been sent out 19 days before the midwest storm. Never again, I will wait until the 28th of February and thats it. Will contact Better Business Bureau and PayPal if I don't have it by then. The fact they make $6000 on every $100 bid is sick, I should have really did the math before I joined, I fell for that Credit Card verification crap too, then I saw it gone from my account and figured okay I'll try it. BIG MISTAKE! DON'T DO IT!

gp8
2/18/11

Very Sketchy! I think they are not 100% honest, see this thread from their customer service. In addition, I think they use bots.
_____________________________

Feb-16 07:40 pm (CST):
Several sketchy issues with your website... The clock increments say one thing and do other (i have the screen to prove it). When looking at a certain product i.e. ipad not all the auctions are shown, I was bidding for one 64gb+ 3G @ $33 when suddenly one (bidder) got it very strangely (many bidders disappeared in sync), then I was presented with an opportunity to bid for one that was @ $80 that never showed up in my searches before and was very far along the bidding process, soon after some one got it and the system did not accept my bid with 1 -2 seconds remaining. Is this a serious company? or what. I think I deserve an explanation. And my money back

Hi ,
Based on feedback from our customers, we have found that customers typically don't want to see an increase in their competition as QuiBids' popularity continues to grow. QuiBids has so many auctions ending at the same time that we can't simply show each customer all auctions. This means that, although you may not see every auction, others may not see your auctions either, giving you the best possible chance of winning a great deal.
Our number one goal is to maintain a great user experience for all customers, along with balancing heavy strain on our servers. If the product you want is currently not showing, please continue to check back as new and exciting products will be added frequently!
We have been notified of the clock issue and are currently having IT review the issue for a solution. In this case is actually just the increment indicator that is wrong. The clocks should be counting down in the correct amount.
Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance, and have a wonderful day!
Sincerely,
Marshall
QuiBids Customer Support

Hi, thank you for your response.

I think that your intension to reduce competition for bidders by not showing all the bidding processes for a same product is good. I did notice that most of the peers were relatively new members. However, a few "veterans" always end up in the process and most take the price. You are basically "setting up" a bunch of rookies for an experienced player to make the better moves. I think that if you intend to "play god" with the bidding process searches you need to do better.

Finally, you did not address my most important complaint. My bid did not go through even though there were still 1-2 seconds left and someone else took the item at that precise moment. I had money invested in that process, although not that much, it makes me want my money back and never use the site again. I'm sure your systems allow you to review those issues, please do.

werw
2/16/11

The site has too many people working for them to bid against you! BidProApp for quibids proves it in their video. How much people spent and won. Many bots have spending records of over $20,000 on bids where as the value of all goods won under $2000 (nobody in a right mind will have that).
Simple example to prove: their policy states that a person can not bid for 28 days if they won anything over $200 (Unless it is won by using vouchers). ipadwon member who has been in over 1000 actions, won only 50 of them or so, has won Ipad worth $600 and in field "paid" was written that he used real bids (not a single voucher). Five minutes later he is bidding on something else, and actually won again with real bids. IT IS AGAINST THEIR POLICY TO DO SO.

One of people that are working indirectly for QuiBids "Big Max" http://twitter.com/BigMax2010 who has a link that links to "http://www.legitonlinejobs.com/", after signing up for it (paid version) their was an offer from QuiBids to promote the website!

"BBB accredited" easy, in a plain view it is just a simple website. Everything runs smooth, but to check behind the sense of entire operations, if request information on people that spend over $30,000 a year will only lead to fraud.

For legal department: BidProApp is an application that will help finding the leads to fraud, as it stores records of bids, winnings, losses and more!

taylers
2/16/11

Okay, Let me tell you the real thing. This site is a scam. It has no company address on it and i did not found anything company related to this site.
I've known this site for about 1 and a half year. And i know the truth. When i was in, the site was pretty much in the establish stage. They put some ads on dealnews.com and attracted some people. My first money in was $25. I lost them all. BTW, The earliest Buy it Now was only for the first bidder.
so, i put another 25 in it and started bidding on small item. And i won a logitech speaker and water purifier. The last item makes me win money overall, but they spent a whole month process it. (they may put the money into other business).
Overall, they were kind of control big items in the early stage. And then, about a semester later. I observed that there appeared a lot of robot bidder(their programming skill was advancing!). Then i gave up continuing bidding on this site. Another semester later, which is now. i find out they actually opened more than 10 items at the same time which is unbelieble. They do not do any ads, they don't even show in the first 100 results in google by key words: penny auction!!
And, if you view the statistics of the website view. YOU WILL FIND OUT, their bidding and their views are out of proportion. which means, They are using robots internally. WAKE UP PEOPLE, THIS ECONOMY NEEDS HARD WORK, NOT BIDDING. it's like gambling, overall all of us are loser. and They are the f**ing winner.

ronaldm1
2/16/11

I followed a link in Google and their website said i could register for free. No mention that I had to pay $60 for 100 bids!!! After I signed up it took mne to another page that asked for my name address, etc and credit card info for when I bought something. STILL NO MENTION I HAD TO BUY BIDS!!
As soon As I gave the info they informed me they charged $60 for 100 bids.
I am going to have the charge to my Credit card reversed. I am not getting ripped off by them
NOW READ THIS!!
I sat there afterwards and examined what was going on.
You bid in 1 penny amounts. Each 1 cent bid costs you 60 cents!!!
That means they are collecting $60 for every 1 dollar the item increases in cost.
Lets say an item sells for $5.00
Say it is an item you could have bought in Target for $30.
Okay you saved some money BUT>>>
They have made $300 on that $5.00 amount!!
Remember that 5 dollars is 500 pennioes!
60 x 500 = 30000 or $300
I saw a car sell For $1782.00 that car retailed for about $18,000 online!
so they are selling you a car for $1782.00 but
1782.00 x 100 pennies = 178200
178200 x 60 (60 cents per penny bid! remember) = $106920.00
That's right, they made nearly $107 thousand dollars selling a car for $1782 bucks!!
Lets deduct the $18,000 for the actual cost from $106920.00
That is $105120.00 = the $1782 you are still paying them!! + whatever taxes shipping etc.
They are making over 100 thousand clear profit!!
That is a scam!

cliffa
2/16/11

I don't think it is a scam, I won a $2,500.00 camera for $429.00 plus $607.00 worth of bids.
I did receive the new camera.
However where the problem lies is that they shipped the camera and most of their products with no receipt from an authorized dealer. Read your warranty card not valid w/out receipt from authorized dealer is not valid.
I sent 4 unanswered emails, and made 2 unanswered phone calls to try and get a receipt, and no response. I turned them into the BBB, and almost immediately got my receipt. (I kept telling them I was going to turn them in)
Bottom line they shouldn't advertise warranty with those expensive sexy items w/out producing all the required documentation.
I have won quite a few things on ebids, and it seems they deliver the product. However I am quite sure I have in all spent more than I have won.
But I had fun doing it.
QUIBIDS does make it fun, if it is for you, but a second big bottom line here, if you are compulsive you should stay away from QUIBIDS, in the future there will surely be a QUIBIDS ANONYMOUS!

justines
2/16/11

I 'won' a gift card 4 MONTHS ago and still haven't received it. I've contacted customer service by email (they don't give out a phone number-bad sign right there) at least half a dozen times and they've given me several excuses. The best being that I moved before it arrived and it was my fault that I didn't receive the product. I've lived in the same house for 12 years.

th187
2/16/11

No phone # for QuiBids listed on their entire web site, or anywhere in their 12 page response to Bank of America, that resulted when I requested a 'charge back' of my $60.00. Within QuiBids response was "ask this customer to contact our customer service, requesting a refund for any unused bids." So, I called Bank of America and asked them if they might have a phone # for them as I could not find one. They found one and said they would call for me. Then they came back and said they were place on hold for the next available agent, they then gave me the phone #, told me to press 0 and to call back if I was unsuccessful. Here is the phone number for QuiBids, good as of 2/16/2011. 405-253-2038

grahamh3
2/16/11

Alright, come on people....anybody that is complaining about getting scammed by this site -- CAN'T DO MATH!!! Every single sob story on here complaining about this being a scam - has to be the type of person that sees pictures of people holding giant Publisher's Clearinghouse checks with >7 digits, then decides they are just as special as that person and joins the fray only to get mad and frustrated when they haven't won, and then comes to a place like this where they can post reviews basically expressing all their resentments towards the company because they: A) Really thought they were going to win or B) Are just mad at themselves because they 'fell for it'....and 'it' being exactly what that picture of the old lady with the big check was meant to accomplish --They got you to join the fray!! The people feel silly and they are mad...

I have to believe that the reviews here of Quibids are very similar to what it would look like if this were the 'Megaball Powerbucks Super Lotto!' or the like! I have been adding things i'd like to my watchlist and checking in on the site whenever, over the last couple weeks and I just shake my head and just imagine what the pure joy of winning a 60" LCD for $2.80 something with *ONE BID* must feel like! I mean wow. It's the same as watching people win the lottery basically..."Sure I can do that!" and go buy a ticket...lose...buy more tickets...lose more...*get mad*...c'mon people!

Now...if you treat it like a store, and you enter/participate in auctions only for items you were going to buy at retail anyways, then it's a little different!! And THESE are the people that are knocking out all the negative reviewers on this site from the auctions they're trying to "win". The people with the mindset that they were going to buy it close to full price anyways, are the people that look like bots that will always outbid you. Now, granted there are some people that appear to have unlimited bids, bidding on everything at the same time and never winning type of thing. Now instead of assuming these are bots (there has to be some form of artificial play on a site like this, but..) how about just realizing this is a fairly new member, they bought 100 bids for $60, and didn't really realize how fast those will go! $60 for 100 bids....now if i was going to try and 'win' an Xbox (which is my goal), then think about it, i'd start with 100 bids...set the bidomatic to full bore, 4xTimes @ 25bids/BidOmatic session....and before you know it I'm looking like a bot, knocking out all the people who came here thinking they should be winning my Xbox360 at $4.20 with their 25bid beginner pack! They get mad, buy another 25bid pack and still lose out because I'm just going to buy the damn thing anyways, so I could be spending $240 on 400 bids, and unless somebody is going to spend like me, they shouldn't even be participating at all!! "If only they would have known..." then they wouldn't have even entered the auction for that item!! Duh...

So basically...C'mon people, stuff costs $$$, and if you're just here to play around with a couple of bucks and *maybe* win big, like the one super jumbo elephant stuffed animal they have at fairs/carnival games, then you're in the right mindset!! Got a couple of bucks to throw around? Might as well Step Right Up and try your luck at an Xbox or LCD HDTV over at Quibids! But if you're thinking this is just a site you're going to 'Buy Cheap Stuff' at or invest your $60 of grocery money for the week inorder to simply receive the $100 wallmart giftcard - you're not going to like this site at all. It's simple as that.

Anyone getting mad, or saying it's a scam...is obviously smarter than the people that play video poker all day long! Seriously, this is just like a Dotty's (which is a chain of video poker bars where people just come in to play video poker and order food/drinks and have people wait on them, getting them more change or cashing their tickets)...You gotta pay to play! I will win someday! And when I do I will be sure to tell everybody and upload a first person VOD of every bet on my way to The Huge Score and put it on youtube!! lol...I just like to stay positive ya know? But really... :)

Exhibit A -- http://goo.gl/v1OPw -- Explained in Comments Below...

lindap8
2/15/11

Well, in a word, it sucked. QuiBids is an absolute rip off and I can't believe how bloody stupid I was to get involved. I registered and then sort of lurked around for a bit, then went to work. On my way home I stopped at the store to buy some Cheese Puffs and Dr Pepper................imagine my surprise when my card was denied! When I got home, I immediately went to my online bank site and to my utter disbelief was a charge for $60.00 at QuiBids! I didn't buy nor bid on a damn thing! I will be writing the BBB and every other place I can think of to rid the Net of this scam. Avoid this site like the plague.

georgem11
2/14/11

I would not recommend this site to to my worst enemy. This site is built on fraud.
An item cost $1199.99 was bid on by a group of indivudals who spent $45.58 in pennies..Converting that to 4558 @.60 , correction .61 cents per bid times 4558, which gives you a grand total $2780.38
A gift card valued at $200.00 sold for $410.53 thats one hell of a mark up.
Samsung 3dtv do not know the size but....the bid was closed at $68.22 , that my friend is 6822 bids @ 61 cents $4161.42 actual cost $1418.00 a hugh profit of over $3000.00 plus.

What I am going to do is file a complaint with the FTC along with USPS fraud section.Times are hard these days so watch your pennie
I actually purchased 100 bids cost $60.00 in less than an hour it was gone what did I get for it a 9ft.HDMI cable. It's actual value I think was about $13.00.
Cost to was $65.00

julieb16
2/11/11

So far I think its been great. I got the 60.00 package with 100 bids. I didnt get any high priced item but i got 2 25.00 gift certificates and a 10.00 gift certificate. so far I have spent about 66.00 total and got 60.00 back. and I have 132 bids which more than i started with. Of course we still have to wait and see how long shipping time is.

chancew
2/11/11

Quibids wasted my time and money. I wish everyone in the world could read these reviews so Quibids could be put out of business!

clancyc
2/11/11

A COMPLETE AND ABSOLUTE SCAM. I was very interested in this site after reading an article about it on online. Being an analytical sort, I decided to watch it closely for a while. (and by closely, I mean i actually stared at my computer and counted, on paper, the number of bids being made by certain constant bidders) The item on auction was a simple netbook computer worth just over $300 retail. I witnessed not 1, not 2, but 3 bidders bid enough times so that their total cost was well beyond the retail price of the item. In the end, one of the three persistent bidders won a $300 netbook, for which he paid well over $400. No one, and I mean NO ONE, can tell me those three bidders weren't QuiBid bots!!!

I understand that all bids can be applied to a credit towards buying the item at retail. BUT... it is obvious to me that you are not always bidding against other hopeful customers. Instead, you are bidding against the company itself which is trying to keep the auction going.... at $0.60 a pop. This is unconscionable!!!

austinen
2/11/11

Well I am not a gambler but this site turned me to a gambler withing 6hr I spent more that $500.00. Initially i bought the beginners package which exhausted pretty quick. But I believe I needed to learn how this site works so I bought $150.00 bids and started biding in an Item and for spending that amount i said I will not loose all this money and not get anything in return so I kept buying more bids till i won a bid on a Apple MacBook Air 11.6" Laptop. With is I know I can recover my $500.plus. But what amazed me was they had to make me pay the $33.69 for the wining bid $19.99 for Shipping totaling $53.68. But the funny part is they don't tell people how much people actually spent before wining the bid. Again their is no Technical specifications of the Apple MacBook Air 11.6" Laptop anywhere on the site, tracking of shipment. I don't even think they have these items in stock. They are being purchased after the bid ends from what the earned. I do not advice anyone o do this cos you could quickly drain you bank account.

sirih
2/10/11

AVOID THIS SITE! This is the High Frequency Trading of online auctions. I wasted a hundred bux and 5 hours today -- am so mad at myself!
I won a $25 Borders giftcard for .50 right away and they straightaway sent me an email saying I'd won their "Scrooge" badge for winning a $25 auction with less than 5 bids. Oh, flattery! I decided to go for the Ipad. Well I wasted all my free time today sitting in front of the damned screen hitting the Bid button whenever the counter got to 1 second. I bid on Ipads, cameras, giftcards, GPSs...my pride was on the line...I had to win! Then I started noticing that for some reason, the auctions I was bidding in went on and on, and despite my most canny efforts, I never won anything...while a few other auctions for similar things fizzled out at very low prices. I think they let some auctions fizzle out that way as teasers -- then when they get a few live humans bidding, they turn on the bots. I complained to tech support -- if they don't refund my bid money, I'm going to complain to Paypal and my Visa card and dispute the charges.

colet7
2/10/11

I haven't used this site, but I want to give you all, that have, a tip.

Whatever you have paid them, you ask your bank to charge back the fee. You tell them the company is a scam, that you were lied to, or mislead, and that you want them to dispute, and reverse the payment you sent to Quibids, to buy bids, or whatever you wish to have reversed. This is your legal right and with enough CHARGE BACKS, this company WILL FOLD. DO IT NOW.

js21
2/9/11

This site is a total rip off. Site offers 100bids for $60 which every 1cent bid = .60 cents. When ad/commercial draws you in with ipad for $87 = Bull$#*!. That ipad is now worth $87x$60...every $1=$60...every cent=sixty cents. So this ipad that sold for $87 = $5220(real cost from bidders). Stay away total rip off

chadd
2/9/11

I guess if you're doing it out of curiousity or to kill time it's not bad for a couple of days. I personally lost ten dollars when it was all said and done. Assuming that the gift cards I won ever arrive. Here is the site in layman's terms and not an analyst. Here we go...
Shipping is $1.99 to send a gift card. Can you say gouging? Also, shipping time they say is within 15 days. Hello? Worse than ground. What a bargain?!
Next, vouchers are a complete waste. You CAN NOT use them to buy an item or to redeem. They are sneaky to let you blow your real bids before you realize this.
Next, you quickly realize how much $$$ this company is making. When little $10 gift cards go for 1000 bids and more. Translation $600+ this site is making a killing which I started to resent after an hour or so.
Next, if you do buy an item with real bids you might end up paying more than MSRP if you don't hit button quickly before more bids drive up the price of the item.
Next, they advertise this site as the next ebay.com. Sorry, but what world do you live in CEO. In an auction you don't have to prepay just to bid. Second, you can bet what you want not lame 1 cent bids. Third, if you lose you the aunction you don't lose your $$$. This is gambling to the core. It's not much different than the one armed bandits you find all over Las Vegas.
Next, penny bids actually cost you 60 cents each. Easy to forget this win you're caught up in the moment!!
Finally, they limit how many auctions you can even win in 24 hours. They limit how many big items you can win (by the way that number is 1) to 28 days. They will expire your bids (credits) after so long (6 months I believe).
Only positive is that the idea is a brilliant one. Feeding off peoples desire to get something for nothing. Cause, seriously, how many people are really going to win that 55 inch 3D TV for twenty or less penny bids. And monkeys are flying out of my butt. Ha ha ha.

roberts18
2/8/11

Because I did not read the terms carefully I found that I had bought $60 worth of bids while not receiving the 30 free bids promised. You can not sign up with out buying bids. Read carefully and be aware these folks are slick as an eel!!!!!!!

jm16
2/7/11

STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...STAY AWAY...

kishaa
2/7/11

Good if you don't make rookie mistakes by overbidding. Read the directions and you will have a positive experience. Don't and you'll probably be pissed off. I would recommend you watch a few before you jump in. Also lookup the same previously sold item and see what it will typically sell for. That way you know how much you are willing to spend..

joer12
2/5/11

To those who say it is not a scam and site capitalism as its true nature are themselve wrong. What makes this a scam is the ability to manipulate the bidding by the Sysop, (operator of the game). Based upon the complaints here and on other sites that is what they do, manipulate the bidding!

I realize most people can't accept good advice and have to blunder through life, and for those of you who buy into scams like this, "I have quicksand bungy jump idea you could buy into".

virginiaf
2/4/11

First, let me assure everyone that I'm not a Quibids employee. I had never even heard of penny auctions until a friend recommended the site. I signed up, bought some bids and started bidding without reading the directions. I still won a couple of gift cards for about half their face value. I got into a bidding war over an IPad and ended up buying it at retail price, but I wanted one anyway and I didn't lose the money I had bid, because I was able to apply the bids toward the price.

After a couple of days, and spending a few dollars, I've maxed out the amount of things that I can win in a 28 day period, so I'm locked out. When it was all said and done, I came out about $40 in the hole, considering money spent vs. merchandise purchased. I also bought a couple of things that I probably wouldn't have purchased ( as in I didn't need them).

All in all, it was a fun experience, and alot more rewarding than playing slot machines with some of the same thrill. I definitely will play again when my lockout ends, but I'll play smarter, and only with money I reserve for entertainment. I like Quibids!

pissedo7
2/4/11

Absolute scam.
I put on a watch list 6 separate IPOD's (2GB Shuffle) selling at approx. the same time.
4 sold for pennies, but the two I bid on sold for 20 times more, and ironically, just after I ran out of $60 worth of bids on one of them, it sold. So I then used the "buy it now" option and had to pay $24 more. Humm? So, I spent about $84 for an ipod that retails for $60. GREAT DEAL!!!!!!! No way is this 100% on the up and up. SCAM, SCAM, SCAM.

robc6
2/3/11

Quibids is a scam. Like everyone who has commented on the site, I too test drove it and I have made the determination that its a scam through various ways. I spent one hour on the main "home" page, which shows the auctions that are coming to an end, observing and lightly participating in one auction. The product was a 22" LG LCD TV. While bidding on the smaller TV, which was in the $2 range, three 46" LED TV's ( twice as larger and slightly better LED technology) were also on the block in the $4 price range, however the smaller 22" LCD (which I was bidding on) seemed to be in greater demand than the larger TV's based on the fact that there was constant "Bid-O-Matics" (automated bidding) action from several participants. If you had the option of purchasing a 46" LED TV for around $4, or a smaller lesser quality LCD(as compared to LED) TV, which would spend all your bids on? I didn't even want the 22" LCD (Like many logical consumers, I too would have much rather spent my bids on the larger TV's), however I found it interesting how demanding the 22" TV became once I started bidding on it. Hummm? Moreover, during my experimentation, I noticed someone won one of the 46" LED TV's for $5.14...yes that's correct, five dollars and 14 cents. The 22" TV I was bidding on reached $3.96 before I fully decided that the site was a giant scam for the consumer. Previous comments have elaborated on the actual cost to the consumer, which I agree with. From a time stand point, bids are probably placed 1 every 10 seconds, or 6 bids/minute. And 1 bid = one cent. $5 = 500 bids, 500bids/6bids per min= 83.3333333 mins (or 1hr 23 mins 20 secs). A $10 items equates to roughly 2 hrs 46mins and 40 secs, and so on. Who has three hours to spend on watching and placing bids?

jamest11
2/2/11

I'm so upset at myself for falling for the Quibids's scam. It seemed like a good idea at the time to buy some bids. And then I bid. And then one thing led to another, and I'm out $100 with nothing to show for it. It's my fault for using Quibids. You should be smarter than me.

williamk6
2/2/11

I joined just to try and win something small. It offered many nice things, expensive items.Somethings very cheap. I wanted to learn first what to do so I did the beginners auction. I tried and won 2 times, both being small items. A $15 gift card with extra bids and another 15 bids (Voucher bids). So after spending $75 to join and winning some extra bids which gave me like 155 bids overall. And after this little practice I thought I would try for something different but not expensive. I tried to get a coffee maker with a retail value of$100. This was after trying a few other times on some other items. Of course I was never close to winning. That was the reason I wanted to stick to one item not so expensive. I had 86 bids left when I started trying to get the coffee machine. I ended up bidding back and forth with one person in particular who seemed to be without limited resources. I used all 86 bids and lost. I seriously believe this is a scam. That person just ran me out of resources. Probably was someone affiliated with this site. Thats my guess. Can hardly believe someone would want a coffee maker that bad! Could you imagine the big ticket items, WOW! I just wanted to warn people that quibids isn't really that great or fair. They are making a fabulous amount of money off of everyone. At $.60 per bid that coffee maker sold for $5.83 cents which means 583 bids. There is a picture up of one that sold for $.03. (NOT) That site sold that retail value $100 coffee maker for $350.00. Believe me when I say it's a rip off. Plus they made money for shipping and their transaction fee. I also watched their timer and it doesn't work that well either. BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!

tf
2/1/11

I think Quibids is a blast! Just started using it a few days ago and have already "won" five auctions. It's relatively easy to pick up the more inexpensive items like gift certificates to stores and restaurants, and you'll always get them for significantly less than face value, as long as you use your bids judiciously. As for the more expensive itmes: they are very tough to win, you need some luck, a little skill, extreme patience, and, the ability to know when to walk away. It is almost exactly like gambling and can be very addictive, so BE CAREFUL! if you have a gambling addiction, STAY AWAY!!

xeniyak
2/1/11

BEWARE QUIBIDS!!! READ THIS BEFORE BID!

I observed the site for straight 15 hours and came to a conclusion that it is a pure sc@m! I added 4 iPads to my watchlist and at the same times put them up on the big screen all at the same time. After 8 hours of bidding (I did not bid, just watch) prices for iPads varied from $68.30 to $134.95 and auction kept going! (It's actually still going while I type it). But funny part is I CANNOT FIND THESE IPADS in the "Actions ending soon", in "Lifestyle" category where they were located before, nor even in search by keyword. There is no way to access these iPads actions but through my Watchlist!!! And how the auction keeps going? In the auction search I see some iPads for under $20. I don't think any of these stuff is actually exist!

STAY AWAY! QUIBIDS IS SC@M!

marks30
1/31/11

Look at the usernames of the people bidding, and you'll see a similarity between most of them. Look at the usernames in this comment forum, and you'll see that many of those coming up with usernames often use their first name, as part of the handle, or something like a morph of their last name, etc. I think that most of the posted bids are "shills", like in the old days when casinos would hire people to play table games so that it would look like something's going on in there, to lure others in to play. Check it out. Look at the usernames, they're unlike normal usernames. I think the real bidders are being taken advantage of, while their computers automatically drive up the prices of the auction items. There's no way to prove it, because it's their website, their products, and their auctions. I'm not buying it at all, but I did get suckered in to try it. I played with it and now I'm convinced it's a scam.

jv
1/31/11

The bottom line with this site is that you have to get lucky. End of story. It's as much a gamble as if you were walking into a casino with $60 bucks and pumping into a slot machine that flashes "$1500" at you. I signed up for this site TODAY and won an Apple Macbook Pro for $12.11. I'm not kidding. And it is total luck. Here's how I did it.

I noticed that there is a feature called "Bid-O-Matic," which enables the user to set an automatic bid whenever the clock gets too low. I was initially frustrated by this, because it made it virtually impossible to ever win. Then I clicked on the Apple MacBook that I eventually won, and noticed that everyone bidding on it was NOT using the Bid-O-Matic feature. See, the thing is you have to hope that everyone loses track of the item you want and forgets to bid, as they only have 10 or 15 seconds to bid on it. With the Bid-O-Matic feature, you can set it and forget it. So I set MY Bid-O-Matic, and, sure enough, about a minute later everyone lost track of it and I scooped it up.

It's still mostly luck, and it is not easy to do. It's a gamble. So know what you're getting into before you buy anything. But with a little guile you CAN win the big prize, and I'm testament to that.

victoriav
1/30/11

This was one of the most depressing ways I have ever lost my money. I've been ill and need a new TV so I was on ebay looking at prices that were affordable. At the bottom irt saud buy a sumsung 55 inch hdtv for $98 today only.. I went to the site, read all the instructions and bought a bid package. I played the first and only beginner auction where they tell you to bid on something cheap , I did and won a $25 gift card. I then won another one. One I received in the mail, the other I did not.. I then 2 days later bid for the TV, spent 2 hrs, and 2 auctions, one after the other to lose $500 on the cost of all my bids. They made me feel so close to winning and then I'd run out of bids and go buy more. I lost the first tv by 2 seconds while I was buying bids to one that joined in the last 30 minutes.. It was a scam. I sent 30 e-mails with generic responses, could not get a real person to call me back.. I still have no tv and out money on my credit card that I'm trying to lower... They are creul people who say they are like ebay but ebay is real and works on the honor system.. Rich people who go to expensive auctions do not lose 5000 dollars on a necklce because they were outbid by 200 dollars, Then to buy the item for 2000 , the tv, means I has to put in another 1500 dollars.. They trick you and why only one beginner game to prpare you, why don't they have beginner games for the big items.. I'm trying to fight the payment on my credit card and wish people would start a class action lawsuit against them... This is internet gambling, not an ebay site and shame on them to get people away from ebay for the thought of a tv for $98.. I thought it was too good to be true and it was and is!!!!!!! Why would anyone spend hrs and $500 in this economy to have nothing?????? How is that FAIR??? I offered to compromise with them and give me my bids back to use again or send me a target card for the money I spent on bidding. I even said thewy could keep the original money I spent the first day, I only wanted my money back for the tv that I lost... No one called me after 30 e-mails pouring my heart out and begging them to help me.. This is ans was a hardship for me and I just needed a tv!!!!! I'm still so sad that they are such a creul site with no heart, guilt or remorse for the working american person!!!!! They are theives and need to be stopped, this should be illegal.. If I knew what I KNOW NOW OR READ A SITE LIKE THIS, I never would have played this game.... Please don't go there if you have not yet, you will only lose your money like in Vegas but in Vegas , one is aware.. They show you a comercial showing how easy it is and how much you can win and we all fell for it... How in america , can this type of site be allowed to exist???? Quibids, you are monsters and theives who steal money from trusting people... Shame on you!!!!! You are robbers and should go to jail!!!!!!

aaronb2
1/30/11

Here is what I reported to the BBB.

"I was on the site Jan 29 around noon and was intersted in bidding on a Samsung 65" 120Hz 1080p LED HDTV. I quickly started doing the math in how much bids cost per consumer and how much the site is making per consumer. Genious Idea but not being used by honest people. Over the next 24 hours I had two friends and I that were skeptical basically stand shifts and keep an eye on the bids. There was one very persistant user, shavedhead92. After hours and hours it became apparent that this person really wanted this TV. Then after even longer it quickly became apparent that this person had spent well over the cost of the TV in bids. I suspected it was a dumby account used to jack up the prices. I demanded a refund of the bids I had not used, about 140, and told them about our suspicions of the dumby account that was just being used to increase profits. My account was closed and shavedhead92 mysteriously had no further interest in the TV after over 24 hours of bidding."

I hope some one learns from this.

lisak16
1/27/11

Let me begin by saying I can only talk about my own personal experience as a user of Quibids for a mere 5 weeks and as the buyer or winner of 8 or 9 items. I am not making any claims (just observations) and have no hard data of any kind. I am a social scientist and I know the difference between empirical evidence and anecdotal evidence. My evidence is anecdotal. I am not pretending to have proof of anything.

There are many positive aspects of Quibids. Here are a few.

1. It can be fun!
2. They have very nice and responsive customer service people, though sometimes they do not answer serious questions completely and directly.
3. The products I bought or won came quickly and were as described.
4. If you are going to buy a product they have at their site anyhow, you might win it for less than the retail value. They have this great option for Buying It Now where you can apply bids you bought (not bids you won) toward the item price.
5. Their site is clean and attractive looking--it's nice to spend time at.
6. They explain the rules of their site and their business model VERY WELL. If you don't read the rules of the site, you will probably have a bad experience. The problem is…even if you DO read the rules of their site and understand them completely, you may still have a bad experience ...Hence, this review.

I am writing this review because I feel obligated to share my concerns for others to consider as they make their own minds up about Quibids. I will say it again. You must make your own mind up. Call my review "food for thought."

My concerns:

1. I asked Quibids customer service directly if anyone other than "regular old people who bought bids like me" are placing bids on the auctions. The response was that no Quibids employees are allowed to participate in auctions. I believe this is probably true, because if an employee spilled the beans, the credibility of the site would be hurt. What I will put out there WITH NO EVIDENCE is, some folks' bidding behavior suggests to me that their bids are not costing them what my bids are costing me. It seems as if some people spend more bids than an item is worth (a point I mention again below). Some people bid as if they have nothing to lose—they spend $50, leave for an hour, spend another $50, then leave for another hour, etc. I know people are not always logical, but it is weird (from my view) for so many people to drop money on an auction, walk away/be willing to lose, and to then return and drop more money, walk away/be willing to lose, to then return, etc. If I were to discover that Quibids secretly "gives away" or discounts bids for a handful of individuals who use those bids to keep big ticket auctions from ending at too low a value, would I be surprised? Nope.

2. It is not made clear that the auctions that are listed as recently closed are NOT representative of closed auctions. Quibids only shows a portion of closed auctions. All auctions I participated in for big ticket items closed MUCH higher than the auctions they choose to list as recently closed. In their rules, they tell you to watch auctions for items you are interested in to see where they close. You should definitely do this. You will see the big items usually end MUCH higher than those they list as recently closed. While it is true that they warn you to do your homework, perhaps they should just be honest and list a representative sample of closed items instead of listing the amazing deals?

3. A Quibids reviewer elsewhere commented on the fact that it seemed odd to her that several auctions in which she participated for a long time closed relatively soon after she stopped bidding. This is consistent with my observations. It didn't happen all of the time of course, it just happened too often for my own comfort. Given the number of people who were bidding when I quit, it seemed strange for the auction to close so soon after I stopped placing bids. Maybe it's just a coincidence? You will have to decide for yourself.

4. In participating in a very long auction for an iMac (it began at 3PM one day and closed after 5PM the next day) it seemed as if several bidders had spent much more on bids than the item was worth. I am not saying I am SURE, I am saying this is sure what it seemed like. Some people were using Bid-O-Matic for hours and hours, through the night, and into the next day. Now, at $1700 (the value of the iMac) and at .60 a bid, the item is actually worth a whopping 2,833 bids. This is a ton of bids. However, it seemed to me that two bidders had to have spent more than this number of bids. They were using Bid-O-Matic nonstop for hours and hours and hours. (The auction was 13 hours long.) I got up to use the loo at 3am and just for kicks I checked the auction. There these bidders were, still using Bid-O-Matic! You can't place more than 25 auto-bids at a time. They had been restarting their auto-bidding for 12 full hours? Again, you make up your own mind. I am NOT saying I am sure. I didn't sit there with my calculator for 13 hours straight tracking their every bid. Maybe I am wrong? I hope I am wrong. I am just putting it out there for consideration.

5. I am suspicious of the fact that five people can be using Bid-O-Matic, spending hundreds of dollars for hours, and then a person can come in at the last minute and buy an iMac for 8 bids. Sure, of course this can happen! Statistically it should happen…..sometimes. It should occasionally happen. I thought it happened too often.

So, I am going to spend my last 85 bids at Quibids today and then I am going to deactivate my account. I am guessing they have trouble retaining customers as it seems the vast majority of users joined within the last month or two.

I hope your Quibids experience does not leave you with nagging doubts, the way my experience has.

Sorry about grammar and typos. I need to get back to work!

mushys
1/27/11

After joining, I went to the beginners auction. I waited to see what bid packets were being bid on and waited. The entire page consisted of $50 and $25 bid packets. No one was bidding on them. I chose a $25 bid packet down the page. Not one packet was bid on before or after the bid packet I selected. But strangely, the packet I selected was bid on by others. Really? Why would anyone bid against me for a $25 bid packet when all the previous and subsequent $50 bid packets were not bid on? Sounds like a computer generated system with psuedo bidders. I'm certain some auctions are legit, after all, even if the company sells the item at half price, they are still making a killing (if you consider how many people are paying 0.61 per bid and how many bids there are for each item). They may sell a $100 gift card for $50, but they probably earned $600 in bids. I believe they have a set price programmed into the system, and if this price isn't met, the system puts in a "psuedo" bidder who will win the bid if a legit bidder doesn't meet the set price. I won some item for a penny (actually 0.61 + 3.99 for shipping,) and after I went to Amazon to look up the product, I could have purchased it for six dollars and some cents. Quibids stated the retail price at $15.99. The biggest problem I have with Quibids is the fact it is a "penny" auction. Unless you have hours and hours of free time, don't get involved. I was bidding for a $100 gift card, and although the card went for five or six dollars, the auction for this item took well over an hour. To sit and watch the bidding pattern and then stragetically make bids, takes time. Imagine bidding on an item, a penny at a time, that will go for $600 or $700. I gave up due to time restrictions. I belive they have 0.20 bids, but I'm not impressed enough with Quibids to continue using them and look this information up. They have an automatic bidding system, but that could get very expensive to have the system up the bid for you every single time someone else ups the bid. Consider how valuable your time is. Winning big items will take a time commitment.

helainek
1/27/11

Quibids is a "penny auction" site that charges .60 per bid. However, they are dishonest. Once the bidding reaches a certain amount, they take the active listing OFF the page showing active auctions, and let users continue bidding up into the thousands of Bids. Example: I was recently bidding on an Apple iPad. When the bidding reached about $32.00 (about $1920.00 in purchased bids), the auction suddenly was taken off the active auctions list and was not visible to the bidding public. However 20-30 bidders continued to bid up the item to appx. $95.00, representing 9500 bids; at .60 per bid Quibids took in $5700 for an iPad valued at $8.25 by them. The public could not see this auction continue, and Quibids makes a practice of misleading people by showing "recent auctions" where iPads, big screen TVs, and other expensive items were "auctioned" for anywhere from .01 to 25 cents, so everyone thinks it is possible to win this stuff for that amount. It is not. Quibids is misleading and far from transparent. They are listing the BBB on their homepage as a reference. Please do NOT endorse this company. This is dishonest advertising at the very least. I did "win" an iPad, but only after spending about $150.00 on bids and watching the "auction" for hours, even after it was taken off the page of visible auctions in progress, so other bidders would not realize how high these auctions go.
Finally, there is no bidder community, as there is at eBay. Nobody knows who these "bidders" are, or if the programming of the site "creates" bidders to raise the price of items; the bidders are identified only by screennames, nothing else, and there is no way to verify if the bidders are real people or generated by the computer programming.

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the QuiBids staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: I'm from air shall islands,
can I place my bit and get my stuff through post office box?
1/1/13
matth28
A: Well, considering he is making the option of getting it cheaper possible by being willing to take this chance, you Deb are the one who is being ignorant.
6/8/10
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the QuiBids staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

5 Photos for QuiBids