US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

lloydm

This "person" could have bought this item using "Buy Now" at least 5-6 times over. (in 423 reviews)

mattl38

My advice: Try it ONLY if you have money to burn and you really don't care if you lose it – like at a Casino. (in 376 reviews)

ronm45

I, too, paid $60 for the original 100 bids and won $75 in gift cards and won a kitchen appliance valued at over $120. (in 63 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

normana
3/28/11

Quibids is a shopping/gambling site. Maybe they don't want to be called a gambling site, but if you participate in auctions where you lose your money if you don't win you are gambling not buying.
If you don't want to lose your money you will have to use your bought bids to buy and use the voucher bids to gamble because you can not buy nothing with voucher bids.
Always use your bought bids to participate in an auction of something that you will want to buy. If you buy the small bid package of 45 bids it means that you have $27.00 dollars to buy something that you want.
If you join a $50.00 dollar auction and you run out of bids you will have to instantly buy 25 more bids in the Quibids bar in the bottom of the page to keep on biding or you will have to pay the rest of the money to complete the $50.00 of the auction.
You should not join Quibids and start gambling in expensive auctions, lose your bids and not buy the auction because is too expensive. It is better to use your bought bids to bid in an auction you can buy with the amount of bought bids you have and only gamble in the expensive auctions if you are left with voucher bids.
Bought bids will come first when you start biding because they expire in 6 months and voucher bids expire in one year. The ones that expire first will come first, some voucher bids expire in weeks.
It is very convinient that you know if you are biding with voucher bids or bought bids.
If you don't want to lose your money, you always need to know how many bought bids have you "invested" in an auction in case you lose and will have to buy it.
If you are careful you will end up always even. And with the voucher gamble bids you can win something big one day as it happens everyday in Quibids.
I always get even with my bought bids, and lose with my voucher gamble bids. Only one time I won an iPad 16gb with 8 voucher bids.
They provide excelent entertainment. It is exiting and fun to participate in this auctions. This is a cool site. I have a lot of fun but I lose a lot of time. Shopping and gambling is addictive.
This is my referral link: http://www.quibids.com/?refer=1716848
I don't know if I should put it or not. Remember use your bought bids to buy and your voucher bids to gamble.

scottn6
3/28/11

I signed up for QuiBids about a month ago. I studied the site, tracked several auctions and picked a strategy. I would bid on $25 gift cards that had no bids and were nearing the auction end. I won a few gift cards this way and was pleased enough with the experience to recommend it to a family member. She signed up and had a similar experience. All of a sudden the number of auctions available dropped significantly and the competition increased dramatically. I contacted her to see if she was seeing the same thing and she was. Based on both of our observations I decided to start researching to find out what happened. I thought maybe they had not been profitable enough and so they cut back on the number of auctions to increase the number of bidders per auction and therefore increase revenue and profit.

As it turns out they are doing something much more deceptive. They are luring in new customers by allowing them access to a huge number of auctions where it is very easy to win. Once you have gotten a taste for the site and maybe referred some friends and family they move you to a mirror site. It looks the same, it feels the same, it has the same address in the browser window, except that there are less than 20% as many auctions to bid on. What QuiBids is doing is hooking it's customers by giving them a few good deals and then putting them onto a mirror site where the competition is fierce and the odds of winning are stacked against you. It's much like a drug dealer giving it away for free up front and then jacking up the rates later on. The difference here is the druggie knows he's paying more, QuiBids doesn't ever mention the fact that they are funneling you to a site where your odds of wining are dramatically reduced.

To be more specific, today I went to the QuiBids website from my work computer to check if they were hiding auctions from veteran bidders. It turns out they are. When I went to the site a few minutes ago they showed 2,246 active gift card auctions and 1,199 recently completed auctions. I logged in and those numbers immediately dropped to 431 active gift cards and 384 recently ended. I checked before logging in and there was a significant number of gift card auctions ending in the next 5 minutes. Upon logging in there were none except those in the last 20 seconds. I logged out but the lowly numbers remained. It seemed they were able to tell it was still me even though I wasn't logged in anymore. I realized at this point they were using tracking cookies so I went into my browser settings and cleared my cookies and went back to the site. Low and behold there were again 2,246 active gift card auctions and 1,199 recently completed auctions. To further test the theory I clicked on a gift card that I knew wasn't showing up on my logged in version of the site and it showed up as a regular auction. I clicked bid and it asked me to log in. Once I logged in that item was gone and I could not find it on the home page or the gift card page (as I was back to 431 auctions instead of 2,246).

Upon web searching it seems that a few other savvy users have noticed this as well and are trying to let others know. Unfortunately they are no match for the sea of new users. Add to that their strategy of letting you win a few first which gets you hooked and helps them get positive reviews and it becomes an incredible uphill battle to inform the public. There have to be thousands if not more users who are probably getting screwed over by QuiBids as we speak.

The reality is a company that mistreats is customers won't be a company for long. They can thrive on new users greed but only for so long. Either they will have to stop this manipulative business practice or they will not make it. Time will tell.

If you have won a few auctions and have now noticed a dramatic increase in competition you are probably bidding on the mirror site. If you would like to see the auction hiding for yourself you simply have to clear your browsers cookies. I don't know what browser you use but it's a pretty simple process.

Chrome: Press CTRL+SHIFT+DELETE and leave the Delete cookies and other site data checkbox checked and select from the beginning of time in the drop down.

Firefox: Pres CTRL+SHIFT+DELETE and leave the Cookies checkbox checked and select Everything for the time period.

If you are one of the targeted users (which I assume many of you are) then you can follow my steps above to see first what auctions are out there and then what auctions are available to you after logging in.

I'm unsure whether this is illegal or just deceptive but either way the public deserves to know they are signing up to be duped.

Caveat emptor my friends!

frankiep2
3/28/11

Is anyone else noticing that alot of the "positive" replies or comments appear to be from the same person (people), replying to multiple responses with the same text? Hmm, if they employ a BOT to respond to complaints about them, I can only imagine how many BOTS are on their own site. No thanks quibids. Thank you's to all of you for sharing your experience! God speed!!!

daveh16
3/28/11

It's clearly a scam. They use bots. The software they used is sold on the open market and the sellers of the software actually promote it by pointing out the ability to use the built in bots. Stay away.

lorieh
3/28/11

Seriously! I got "hooked" by an email sent to me and when I started to read it, I "thought" I was getting 60 bids just for registering! Cool, huh? I thought it was so exciting that I told my husband, who also registered, but asked me if I had to pay. I told him no, but he paid $60 for, I think, 100 bids. When I went to look on my "order history", I saw where I too also charged $60! That is $120 between us both. My husband won $10 gift card with 10 more bids. Well, today I was set on somehow winning, at least, some of our money back! As I was clicking away for a $200 gift card, all of a sudden, the "bid" key stated "paused". Nothing...nothing more happened. At this moment, I am still waiting to get on the website. I wonder if Quibids will refund my bids, that I placed, prior to the site going down...hum...
My main objective, now is to at least get some of our money back. To me, this has been a total waste of hard earned money and I have to agree with most of the other reviews. It is "not" an auction! Not when you have to pay for bids and it is closer to gambling than anything else! Like I said, right now, I just want to try and get part of our money back...Please, take advise from these reviews, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY OR TIME!!!! It does take alot of TIME! I really wish that I would have looked at these reviews before "diving" right into it.

davids46
3/27/11

At best, this site is a time-waster for people who can watch trends and bid intelligently and selectively. If you have a lot of free time, are careful, and aren't concerned about long-term fatigue from staring at a computer screen, you can get some decent deals. BUT - you could very easily lose lots of money and time while getting little out of it. The people who run this site are raking in the $$$ - pulling one item out at random, a $250 gift card is presently priced at $15.85, with penny bid increments. So 1585 bids have been placed, all at $0.60, yielding a tally thusfar of $951. Ten people are still competing for the item, so the tally is sure to exceed $1000. One person may get a great deal. But all of the other people who bid will collectively lose a lot of money. Over time, the odds always favor the house. Don't get suckered in and fork your money over to these modern-day scammers.

thegamblerp
3/23/11

Arrrgg. I wish I'd seen all these reviews before I started bidding. Shame on me for not doing my research, and thank you all for helping enlighten me. Quibids should of course also be ashamed but they are too busy making $$$ off of us.

willardc
3/22/11

I recently visited Quibid site and here is my experience. I watched bids for a couple of hours before signing up. The initial costs to buy bids was $60. I bid and won a voucher for 15 free bids(103 bids), later I won a 50 bid voucher (212 bids), then 25 bid voucher (215 bids), followed by a 100 bid voucher (547 bids) and a $100 Home & Office--u-choose-it card (1198 bids). Sounds good, although if you multiply the 2275 bids X $0.60 = $1,365.00 in Quibids pocket and these 5 items costs Quibids. com less than $100. You can figure the percentage. Quibids also pockets the money paid by the winner. But, the story doesn't end there. I found another 100 free bid voucher which I began bidding on around 900. When the bid reached around 1100 I started to scroll up to see how many bids I had remaining, then scroll back down to item. On bid 1197, I scrolled up to check on the number of bids I had remaining, then scrolled back down to find the item had sold. I was out-of-bids! I had spent all $60.00 and I was done. Does the site have bots to bid-up items? My best guess is "yes". Quibids, sent me an e-mail saying I would be receiving the card in 10 days. It's been 3 weeks and still no card. After an e-maiI, Quibids say, they will advise me when it ships. Beware of this site!

pattys
3/22/11

STAY AWAY!! It ended up costing me $63.00 for a $10.00 gift card of my choice. This is 99% a scam!!~!

johnb64
3/20/11

This is a 100 percent real legit site. I am a real person and was as nervous as many people would be. about 4 weeks ago I bid and won a small 15 dollar walmart gift card for 7 cents.I did research and got a strategy together before I tried a big auction.In the last two days I won a 55 inch led tv for 80 bucks and a 200 dollar wm gift card for 5 bucks. I will not have anyone talk bad about this site.Its your fault if you go all in without a plan and loose all your money.Take time, come up with a strategy, win.Its just that simple. I have lost zero dollars and have come out ahead.I give this my highest possible recommendation.

lindak9
3/19/11

Before I knew It I had paid more in 60cents per bid charges than the item was worth and at the very last minute, someone else made the last bid and got the item.

raoulc
3/19/11

Their customer service is a rip. They shipped me the incorrect item i had bid on and paid for and they sent a different item knowing that they had and now i am in a big conflict with them over getting the correct item. They are not going to honor the buy and have a take it or leave it on what i can do to get my product. Stay away from this site don't make the same bad choice i did!

ronb6
3/16/11

Honestly the site can work if you want to spend an extreme amount of time building bids by winning gift cards (my personal favorite) that include more bids. The problem most run into is thinking they are going to get an Ipad right off the bat. It just doesn't happen. The site is over run with people and you need to be willing to spend some time learn how it works. Personal unless you have a couple hundred bucks to start and are really bored stear clear!

evanc1
3/15/11

So I got a promo pack at Quibids and was really intrigued by it. I did a little studying and figured out a strategy. I would go for gift cards ( 10,15, and 25 dollar value) that also came with additional bids. I thought that would give me some extra bids to be a little more aggressive with bids.

I ended up winning about 100 dollars worth of cards and still had the same number of bids that I started with, but very important; there is a 2 dollar shipping, but really "handling" fee. I thought that winning the 10 dollar cards was relatively easy, especially since I was getting the bonus bids. I worked out that my unit of opportunity cost was about $2.50 for 10 dollar gift card, and that would translate to about $5.00 for 25 dollar card and so on.

Here is the wildcard. Irrational bidders and very important to note, all bids don't have the same value. Yes each bid costs 60 cents, but some people don't pay 60 cents a bid, they win them by bidding on them in the voucher auctions. I didn't get it until, I started to lose auction after auction and seeing the winners bid 2 and 3 times more than the value of the card. For example, a 10 dollar card should not be bought for more than 8 dollars worth of bids( 13 bids or so) + the 2 dollars fee. But a single bidder could be bidding 30-50 times for a 10 dollar card.

Then it hit me. I saw the winner and they were using voucher bids, ones they won on other auctions. They could have won 100 bids (60 dollar value) for let's say 2 dollars. Those 100 bids are not worth 60 cents each to them, they are only worth 2 cents, so they are willing to bid many times more.

Bottomline: not all bids are created equal and the more people bid with lesser value bids, the more purchased bids lose. My guess is that at some point, only people with lower value bids will be left, but the site is banking on newcomers to wander into the pit. Beware!

PS: I ended up 5 dollars positive. A whole lot of work for 5 dollars.

rons11
3/13/11

Total BS Stayed on auction for over ten hours and with in a fraction of a second the item (supposably) sold as I was bidding, my page froze and was kicked from the auyction site. How convenient? Theres more but would take explaining the circumstances. Stay Clear

terrym10
3/13/11

The number of items up for bid is tightly controlled and regulated by the number of people that are logged into the site at any one time. So the law of supply and demand takes over and there are always a much larger number of bidders than the are items to bid on couple that with peoples natural gambling instincts and the items are eventually sold for prices much higher than there accual value. yes you may be the lucky bidder and I truly mean lucky, that is if you don't run out of bids, but your odds of being the winner are much less when there are a number of bidders bidding on the same item. Also, if you don't log in and check the the final bid price on the items, the prices are much less or not even there after you log in. Try it. Very deceptive.

humanz
3/13/11

this site only gets negative reviews because people bid too much, Why would you bid more than you have too? I love this website, I wait untill I am bidding against people that know that the rule of the game is to "keep it cheep, were not on ebay here". So yes, the owners walk away with a big bundel of cash, but you don't think that ebay doesnt rip you off with all its listing fees and paypal doesnt get its green when it charges for transfers. Quibids is simple and I think its a great website for people to stop and think "hey i didnt win, but i helped someone else get there item cheeper" stop being so greedy.

joseyw
3/13/11

I am barely even able to describe this as an online auction site. This is as bad as bidsauce. Look, I will make this review as short and sweet as possible. IF IT SEEMS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS. and particularly when the website's offer seems too good to be true ACTUALLY READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS! Hey, I have been taken; guilty of the same thing in the past, but I've been on the web long enough and made enough mistakes to know sites like bidsauce.com and quibids.com are a scam. I am grateful to Sitejabber and others who take the time out of their day to warn others to BEWARE or these sites. Keep a vigilant daily "quibids.com class action" google search going every few days, I see it coming. Very deceiptful business practice.

lorenek
3/10/11

I bought $60. worth of bids. What a joke didn't stop to think I was bidding against the whole country. Spent $40. before I realized the money I had spent was a total loss. This is as bad as the lottery with I would imagine the same odds. I found myself bidding on things that I didn't really need and losing. This is the same as heading to the nearest casino problem is it is closer and easier to access. Beware friends, LK

petes5
3/9/11

In my opinion this website is a scam. Bids are not recorded accurately and customer service blames the bidders internet connection. You will purchase additional bids only to lose them. Stay away. If it seems too good to be true it is. What a mistake.

michaeld11
3/9/11

I found items that many went through with no or little bids on them but every item I bid on would be bid up more than I could out right buy them for.

I found that even though you delet your account quibids keeps your CREDIT CARD INFORMATION on file.

benr3
3/8/11

Folks, I'm not going to write a long review. Unless you are prepared to buy something at full price, STAY AWAY! Its simple to lure people in with the win of an inexpensive item, then you feel like you can win more just by spending more money. I don't think you can. Remember this... these people have found a way to get 2x or 3x the value of an item. Im sure the government will shut them down soon enough.... they hate competition. :)

bcb
3/6/11

The operators of Quibids are printing money with this site. Is this the new Mafia money machine?
Not enough variety and too many bidders for any one item. You can get lucky and buy something for a penny (just like slot machines) but most people keep bidding and then lose out.
I was following an auction for an Apple Ipad and the price kept climbing to a somewhat high price of $43.00. That might not sound like much but at $0.60 per 1 cent increment, that works out to to over $2,500 dollars for Quibids for a $700 item. As I watch, the price is still climbing.
Every person who bid on this lost money and only one person will win the Ipad.
I feel sorry for those who get caught up in this game.
Can I buy stock in this company? It is more profitable than porn.

adamo
3/6/11

I personally love the site, you just can't be stupid with your bids. I started by by bidding on gift cards that came with free bids on top of that. A $25 Walmart gift card with 20 extra bids for $0.03 is simply a steal. Sure it took me 10-15 bids to understand what to look for and go after. The simple secrets to the site is start small and just figure you will never ever get an ipad for $15 so its pointless to bid on it. also don't bid on things that have a lot of people bidding on it because you will lose. BE RESPONSIBLE and you will love it!

ashleyg2
3/6/11

FREE REGISTRATION IS NOT FREE ON THIS WEBSITE! they have a pre-checked box when u register "the purchase is made unintentionally" According to Quibids "support".....They also only give you 103 bids (AKA $1.00) for $60 BASICALLY TRICKING you into thinking it's a free dollar worth of bids to explore their site. THEN AFTER YOU CHECK YOUR BANK ACCOUNT AND REALIZE YOU HAVE OVER DRAFTED they proceed in telling you that because the bids I "unintentionally purchased" were used and now they can't refund me. SCAM ALERT SCAM ALERT!

jacobs6
3/6/11

This site is NOT a scam. The scam is the United States Education System failing SO MANY consumers out there and defrauding them of real life know how so that they don't get screwed on bidding sites such as Quibids.

I've won quite a few auctions on this site, from headphones, to 2.1 sound systems, all the way to a 12" Subwoofer that retails at $400 MSRP.... The problem, is that people don't bother to understand this site... They don't bother to research it. They just see a bunch of counters in red lettering going down to almost 0 and they're all thinking "OMG I must bid on this item now!!! It's such a steal!!!" No, stop that. Quibids definitely is a cash cow for the operators, it really is, BUT, this site can also save you a good amount of cash if you know how to work the system. Please pay attention, as I will outline how to better navigate the Quibids site and not be burned by the "Too good to be true" offers.

1. Just because it says an iPad is currently being sold for $9.82, that doesn't (and almost never does) mean that the iPad will actually sell for that much.... This site utilizes a clock reset function, meaning that anytime ANYONE places a bid, it will reset the clock to either 20/15/10 seconds (all depending on the current bid price of the item).
2. PLEASE don't bid on a "High Ticket" item, i.e. a 55" LED TV, unless you are A.) Hoping to get lucky and you'll only use a few bids or B.) Actually plan on buying a TV similar to or exactly like the TV up for bid, and are willing to pay full retail price for the item.

Case and point for the above reason:

I wanted a 12" Boston Acoustics subwoofer for my home theater system, and I go on Quibids from time to time to see what type of items are currently on bid, and what will be on bid for the next few days. Typically I'm disappointed or well out of my price range, however, this last time that I checked, they had the exact item that I was looking for. So, since I now know that they have an item that I'm seriously interested in, I did my research on what it's retailing for at other sites/stores, and Quibids isn't too far off the price when it talks about your savings.

**BE AWARE, I'm fairly sure that they put the retail price at what the item first went on the market to be sold at**

Now with my research complete and feeling satisfied with paying full retail price if I had to, I went to Quibids ready to bid until I either won, or until my bid rebate reached the product's full price and then I'd just "Buy it Now". This is the most efficient way to use Quibids to your advantage if you don't have a lot of time to compile statistics and data charts (as some people have done). So, I bought a few bid packs at $60, put on the Bid-O-Matic, and put on my patience act. Plenty of bidders will come and go, but if you stick to it, keep firm to your item that you'd like instead of getting discouraged, this will increase your chances of winning the item for less than if you bought it at full retail price.

With that being said, people can and do get lucky at this site, but with any "gambling" application, the odds are stacked against you. Now I did end up winning the auction for the subwoofer, but I had to put up 244 bids to finally wear out the competition. Even with that many bids going toward just 1 item, I ended up saving $130 off the final retail price, and that includes all the bid packs purchased/final auction price/and shipping.

You can "win" at this site, and make Quibids work for you by getting great discounts on items that you were already planning to buy, or, you can get lucky (but the odds, again, are against you).

As other reviewers have mentioned, this site is a cash cow, and indeed if you do the math, it's raking in money hand over fist. However, it's not a scam, and you need to understand it before you lash out against it with such claims.

I'm personally for Quibids because even though I've been burned in the past by the site, I took the time to research it, study it, and understand how to make the system work to my advantage. I'd urge others to do the same if there's anything on that site that you'd actually consider buying, and wouldn't mind paying full retail price in the first place. If you have that mindset, I can almost guarantee you that you'll get more satisfaction out of this site than you're currently getting. You'll find that when you do win an auction and clear the bid for less than what you intended to pay, you'll be the happiest person in the world. On the flip side, if you don't win, you still can get the item that you want and buy it as if it was a normal day at the dept. store.

I look at the site as an opportunity to POSSIBLY get discounts on good items. Some people view it as a plague that steals your money. The difference between the groups? Know-how.

To sum this up, and to end this novel of a review, just do your research. This site is actually a good deal for both the site and the consumer if you know what you're doing. But if you're just hoping to win a big ticket item and pay next to nothing for it, dream on. You'd have a better chance of stealing the item from your local Wal-Mart

adama3
3/5/11

Quibids is a waste of your money. They show high priced items before you sign up selling for pennys on the dollar and then you sign up and pay for bids and you do not have the opportunity to bid on those items. Save the time.

mariad4
3/5/11

I received an email from Quibid,, & was amazed @ these deals, I rushed into it & sign-up,, right before I entered my creditcard info, I opened a new pg,, for Quibid reviews,, & thank God I did,, it looked like a scam,,& I'm petty sure it is,,, thanks to all those reviews I realize what this site was all about,, & for those who approve of this site; they can keep making their cash of from you, unless ofcourse you are an employee, is the only way anyone would approve of such ripoff,,thanks again to all those warning reviews about Quibid,, they'll never know my creditcard ## & I'll let every know about this site,,, the heck I'll even post a warning on my social network pg...again thanks!!!

solb1
3/3/11

My experiment is complete. My initial 100-bid purchase plus all of the shipping / handling charges totaled $83. I won three $25 and one $50 gift cards for a total of $125 in value. So I came out $42 ahead. I have already received two of the gift cards so I'm sure I will receive the others as well. From what I can see, there are no bots, shills, etc. The bidding seems very human-like with both reckless and careful bidding practices.

The business model is brilliant and the company can profit handsomely without resorting to illegal practices. As long as the company stays honest, and delivers the products they sell, they are really not doing anything wrong other than preying on credulous people. The only thing which may be skirting the line of legality is the advertising (i.e. "$700 Ipad sold for $1.35!"). Although this is technically true there may be some aggressive Attorneys General that may not like it since it is not representative of the results of most users.

The auction process seems very fair with a lot of competition on higher value auctions. To those who think that someone who bids more than the item value at $0.60/bid is crazy, remember that after many auctions, someone may have built up hundreds of free or low cost bids so their cost per bid may be much less than yours.

The process is explained fully in the help and FAQs if they are read in full. It is easy to overlook the little sections about "real bids" being used first, voucher bids having no "buy-it-now" value, how the bid-o-matic works, the additional charges, and so on; but it is all spelled out there in surprisingly easy to understand language.

The website actually seems very well thought out and advanced. I have not had any persistent clock problems, just a few minor glitches and skipping but to be expected with the high traffic the site receives. Every bid that I place went through as expected.

A few things irritate me about the experience - the excessive handling fees on voucher auctions, the "real bids" being used first, the worthless search box, and the high shipping fees (although anyone who ever paid $10 for shipping on Ebay when the item came with $1 in postage had the same experience). But several things worked well including the watch list and real-time bid count. Some little things like the free bids when earning badges were nice. The sheer number of auctions works in the bidder's favor as well since it can prevent reckless bidding due to the fear of missing out...there will always be another similar auction very soon.

Overall I had a positive experience but I will issue this warning: Pardon the CAPS but I need to stress this point - DO NOT BID ON ANY HIGH-VALUE ITEMS. YOU WILL NOT WIN! You will end up coming to Sitejabber and complaining about cheats, bots, shills, scams, etc. when in reality you were bidding against hundreds of other people trying to win the same item. Remember that after you and twenty others may have spent thousands of bids in total on one item, and you think many are all but out of bids, a new group of people may come and start a fresh bidding war on that item. Since there is no time limit on any auction, this can go on indefinitely, especially for high-value items.

So your chance of winning a high-value item is virtually nil. Conversely, by using some logic and intuition it is quite feasible to win a large number of lower priced items (generally $25 - $50 gift cards) and come out ahead. I would advise you to bid on items that come with free bids so as to refresh your bid inventory at no cost. Occasionally you may want to bid on voucher auctions but remember that you will be paying real cash in the final auction price plus handling fees to win something that may not have any real value in the end.

Finally, you should probably only bid on items that you need or gift cards for stores that you regularly shop in. There is no point in winning an AMC gift card if you never go to the movies. Also the $10 cards probably are not a good deal as after factoring in the auction price, the cost of the bids, and the shipping / handling charges it is difficult to come out that much ahead. Figure on using 50-75 bids to win a $25-$50 gift card auction. Counting the beginner auction, the voucher wins, and the bids that came attached to won auctions, my average cost per bid was about 20 cents so winning the gift card should cost between $10-$15 so overall you have a reasonable chance of coming out ahead.

The concept repeated on this site repetitively is that you should wait to the last second to bid. This is a holdover from EBay in which the last and highest bidder before the clock runs out is the winner. On Quibids, bidding at 1 second left or at 9 seconds left does absolutely the same thing; the clock gets reset to 10, 15, or 20 seconds and the last bidder is the winner. I found it best to bid immediately after I was outbid. I ended up in the same place as the high bidder, and it showed my aggressiveness to other bidders and may have contributed to my relative success in the auctions I participated in. I participated in 6 auctions ($25-$50 value) and won five so maybe the strategy works.

Remember – You are not bidding in an auction. You are buying tokens @ $0.60 each to play in a game of chance and skill with prizes for the winner and nothing for the losers. It is possible to increase your chance of winning by using strategy, but at the end of the day it is like Blackjack in which a skilled player can increase his overall winning percentage but not eliminate the role of chance or just a plain old bad hand.

I cannot repeat this enough - DO NOT BID ON ANY HIGH-VALUE ITEMS. YOU WILL NOT WIN! Stick to the lower value items.

I hope this review is helpful to all those currently using or considering using Quibids. I welcome any comments or questions.

winstonf
3/2/11

Stay away from this site, definitely a SCAM!!! They make you think you're bidding in 1 cent increments but it's actually costing you $0.60 per bid. And unlike ebay where you know exactly what time each auction will end, quibids keep on going, and going...raking in your money. Believe me, you'll spend $60.00 and end up with nothing but disappointment and regret. There must be a way to shut down this scam site.

lorenl2
3/2/11

Like so many others I got hooked into the idea of a more direct live auction and something other than ebay. They do advertise that their items sell for say 44 cents for an iPod. Given that they only give you 60 cents credit per dollar, you lose money the minute you sign up. I started by buying a $60 credit and started bidding on an ipod touch. I quickly realized that my 60 bucks was going nowhere and got out of that auction. I then realized that I should use my remaining money to my advantage and started bidding on a mini-camcoder listed at $56 (Flip MinoHD Camcorder to be exact) because it was cheaper than Amazon had it and I figured if I lost all my money on the bidding, I could at least apply it to the purchase price. When all was said and done, I still got the camera for about what I would have paid most places (and more than other places for sure) but I might have paid a lot less on ebay. I consider it a wash. I could have gone to Best Buy and enjoyed a day of shopping for the same money! GRRRRRR!
Bottom line - Terrible! Don't waste time or money. Make sure you know what you're getting into before you start! Even then...good luck! We'll see if they actually deliver the camera in a timely fashion.

roberte3
3/1/11

Looking at all the talk about this web site and going to the web site and seeing what it is all about has as the say enlighted me. The company calls this like an auction but is exactly the opposite. The claim to be like an auction, but in fact an auction does not charge a person to place a bid. They are receiving actually a whole lot more money for items than worth. Someone or some Law Firm will find a way to take this company to court and get everyone their money back. If the Goverment or IRS did this to a tax payer I'm sure someone would have already figured how to close it down. During this time in our ecomony this is bad ethics. It's just a reminder of how People of the United States are what companies this this would call "Suckers"

solb
3/1/11

I have been reading about Quibids and other penny auction sites for several weeks now. Under the assumption that there are no bots, shills, software scams etc, (Maybe not a great asumption but I had to start somewhere) I determined that the only way to come out ahead would be bidding on bidpacks and by winning many small auctions of gift cards to stores that I shop at anyway.

I started by buying the 100 bids plus 10 bonus and then won a 25 Bid beginners auction for 1 bid, a 25 bid pack for which I used 25 of my existing bids (and then used buy it now - total cost $2.60). Then I won two $25 gift cards for 1 bid each.

Total cost so far was $68.62 and I have two $25 gift cards coming so I am net out of pocket $18.62. One more gift card win and I will come out ahead. I also have 147 bids left.

It seems that IF I actually receive the gift cards and IF they actuall work, there may be a way to actually make something here by sticking to the small stuff. And again, I bid for giftcards at stores where I regularly shop. I will absolutely not bid in any auction of high-priced goods - that is the quick way to lose money.

Has anyone had an overall positive experience just consistently trying to win the smaller items?

dianes10
3/1/11

Not to be hacknied but it is what it is. I knew what I was getting into but as it played out in real time, I was annoyed at having to devote so much time to win something. I can see if you stick to you and don't mind buying a hefty pack of bids upfront you could get some deals. I just didn't enjoy the experience so I bought enough $10 and $15 gift cards to cover my costs and maybe $25 additional and said adios.

harsha1
2/28/11

Total rip-off. Lots of hidden charges. You will end up spending much more than the price of the item and even then there is no guarantee that you will win anything.

bobr5
2/28/11

I don't understand all the negative reviews for quibids. I do understand that if you purchase bids and decide to blow all of them in one auction, and don't win, you'll have a crappy experience, but that's nobody's fault but your own.

First of all, this site is mostly for entertainment, like playing the lottery. Every time you throw down a bid you're gambling away 60 cents of your money. You must understand this going in and the site has plenty of information that explains how the auctions work and encourages you to start out in beginner auctions so you can get a feel for how everything operates.

I recommend people read all the info on the site and watch the auctions before signing up and purchasing bids. It's your money, so why rush into this.

I have only entered a couple of auctions, winning a $25 gift card to Home Depot for about a dollar and a Jawbone II bluetooth earpiece for 80 cents. I only bid twice in each of those, so add the $1.20 I spent on bids. It was clearly a steal. I have yet to bid on any big ticket items like a plasma screen tv or an iPad, as I'm sure those are a bit more competitive, but my experience so far has been positive. And no, I'm not a quibids employee.

eddiec2
2/27/11

Just for those who haven't stopped to think that the organizers of this bidding site haven't thought it out themselves, just take this into consideration. If the item you bid on, a vacuum for example, is sold for $60.00, at .60 a bid, it brought in $3600.00, after they pay the $450 (probably less as they by in bulk), they have profited over $3200 on a $450 dollar investment. A comparison would be your gas station buying a gallon of gas for $3.00 and selling it to you for $24. Ya just gotta be savvy when bidding or you will be losing your butt. If you can't afford to take a loss once in awhile, then don't get involved.

marshaj
2/26/11

I am very careful when bidding. I don't bid on high priced items. I have won many gift cards over 50.00 for no more than 15 bids each which is only 9.00 from the bid. I love this site!!!!!! You need to watch the bidding, find best day and time. It takes a little effort, but well worth it.

leonards1
2/25/11

I spend $120 in bids and didn't win anything. If anyone wins anything on Quibids, they get it at expense of everyone else.

garym12
2/25/11

I don't see how I am losing! I signed up, they gave me 100 free bids, I've bid and won on a $100 Lowes gift card (winning bid was $.37) and a $15 Walmart gift card (winning bid was $.24). Both came with additional bids attached. My bid total I have now is 122. I haven't bought any bids and I'm up about $110 bucks after you take away the $.61 plus the $4 processing fees.

What am I missing?!

cindys5
2/24/11

Whoever heard of having to PAY for EACH bid (being that you are only allowed to bid in 1 to 5 CENT increments) and LOSING that money when you are OUTBID?

richardp9
2/24/11

I bought the now requisite $60. for 100 bids. The only auction that it seems realistic to win is for more bids. I stayed up all night watching and bidding a Canon 5D MarkII. I know I should get a life. This is a $3300 camera/lens combo. All of a sudden, with 11 people auto-bidding, someone wins at $560.00. Same thing happened on a Nikon D7000. I thought, well I should aim lower. I did. A $100 external hard drive. Same thing. This is like playing the lottery. No doubt, this is a great business model. Every bid raises the price by 1 cent. I saw people put in over 100 bids and drop out. Thousands of bids for 1 camera or TV. If you like being glued to your computer, and seek the thrill of gambling, this may be the cat's pajamas. However, if something sounds too good too be true, it is. And in this case, it definitely is too good to be true.

bobo2
2/24/11

I jumped in without checking it out first.. I took only one item to convince me its a scam, scam , scam...I only lost $50 to learn my lesson.

dianep3
2/23/11

All I did was sign up and was reading the rules and they charged my bank account $60 in the first 60 seconds ...
They said I had made a purchase of 100 bids at $.60 each! I DID NOT!
I complained immediately and they said they would refund the money since no transaction had been made.
Now tell me this ... how can they charge me for a purchase they said I made and then say no transaction had been made???
Oh ... and was the money put back in my account? ... not for 2 to 3business days! They jolly well took it out in a flash with no problem! I will be watching and I won't return to their page, ever, for fear of being scammed again!

georgel6
2/23/11

No one here seems to understand that the site is intended for a CHANCE at a discount. You are very fairly warned when you are exceeding the amount of retail price and if you can not do the math to figure that out, then you should probably be spending your money else where. It is very simple bid on items you can afford at retail price and you won't be disappointed. Yes the site is making money off the retards who are not educated enough to examine what they are doing before they do it, but who shouldn't. This site is an altered design of other auction sites and every single person who hates on them should shut their mouth because there is no way you would ever turn down this kind of idea if it belonged to yourself.

elizabethy
2/22/11

They tell you how easy it is and even start you on a beginners auction that you, of course, win for cheap, then you try to win anything else and you get outbid. Every auction I was biding on went for way more than the same item in another auction. Makes me wonder if I'm really bidding against someone else or a computer. I've used eBay for years and am a pretty savvy bidder, but this site is ridiculous. And the newbies don't seem to realize how much money they're actually spending in bids, on 1 auction. At least I was able to bid on over 20 auctions with my meager 141 bids ( kind of like playing the penny slots in Vegas). Quibids is making a fortune and I just paid $65 for a $10 gift card. Shame on me.

justina1
2/22/11

I signed up last night for quibids after hearing some thing about the site. The buy in was a bit steep at $60 since they make you purchase 100 bids your first time using the site.

I spent 1 bid and immediately won a voucher for 25 virtual bids.

I then spent another 3 bids and won a $130 pair of oakleys.
I then spent another 10 bids and won another $130 pair of oakleys.

After that I wasted some bids between the two pairs of oakleys on items that I didn't really want all that bad that were going for more than I bargained to pay. After winning the three auctions in a matter of 45 minutes the site cut me off for 24 hours, as your are not allowed to win more than three auctions within that time period.

All in all, as of now, I am up 24 bids than I originally paid for, as one of the pairs of sunglasses came with 25 free virtual bids. They also gave me some bids for winning auctions.

I am already up $200 and I've been on the site for 45 minutes in my brief experience with quibids. AWESOME WEBSITE. GREAT IDEA. USE STRATEGY!!!! Look for auctions with "single" bidders and the fewer the better.

I am a student at Boston College and I'm looking to sell these items on ebay to make some quick cash. GREAT EXPERIENCE. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

trm
2/21/11

Quibids is the cream of the crop for penny auctions. Don't get me wrong - you have to understand the penny auction paradigm. You buy bids - at say 60 cents each. Then you make irrevocable bids on a variety of great items from computers to vacations, cameras etc. Remember that once you place the bid, the 60 cents is spent. The idea is to strategically bid until you're the last one left. This can take a few hours for the bigger ticket items and requires discipline and patience to win. And you might not, so don't spend more than you're willing to lose. Just like Vegas. But the savings can be incredible. A $6000 Australian vacation went for $214 the other day. But remember that $214 translates to 21,400 penny-bids that cost 60 cents each. So the seller got roughly $12,000 for a $6000 item - but all the losers combined paid for that - to the winner's benefit. There are $25 - $50 items for the timid, so don't lose hope to win. You can if you're patient and smart. Anyway, Quibids is the best of the bunch. I've won a couple thousands worth of merchandise combined for hundreds of dollars. Not bad - and kinda fun.

squidm
2/20/11

Frustrating and deceptive. New TV ads say saving too good to be true can be achieved. Yes, but for an elite and lucky few.
Playing lotto may have better odds.
I did manage to buy a cool measuring cup for cheap. But if my $100 worth of bids winds down without a major win, that's one expensive cup.
I bit, so I can't whine much...but don't get suckered in. House wins.

pamd3
2/19/11

I can't believe I fell for Quibids. I should have known better. If they cared one bit about their customers, Quibids would close themselves down.

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the QuiBids staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: I'm from air shall islands,
can I place my bit and get my stuff through post office box?
1/1/13
matth28
A: Well, considering he is making the option of getting it cheaper possible by being willing to take this chance, you Deb are the one who is being ignorant.
6/8/10
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the QuiBids staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

9 Photos for QuiBids