US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

davidz3

They have a large number of auction house throughout the US and Canada. (in 21 reviews)

chrisa78

I had an auction company triple the cost of shipping on an order compared to a previous order with them. (in 11 reviews)

markm87

When you do purchase an item don't waste your time calling Proxibid, call the auction house and deal with them directly. (in 37 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

vladimirn2
4/29/16

I buy shotguns on ProxyBid. Had very good expeiences with RockIsland and James D. Julia
However gor screwed by Glenworth. The description was none descriptive and pictures did not show problem areas. Most other items were much cheaper and this alone should have raised red flag for me. So I learn my lesson. Do not look for jewels in the pile of junk. Do not deal with Glenworth.

tundes1
4/15/16

The lack of help for buyers with concerns irks me about this site. Some high volume auctioneers are very arrogant and unresponsive, Proxibid leaves you to your fate when you have legitimate complaints. Personally, l feel l have a choice each time l have to spend my hard-earned money. I am not giving my money to an undeserving seller therefore, l will never do business with these people again. I do not want to go into the particulars of my complaint because my mind is already made up.

paulf85
4/3/16

was just bidding on some rings an auction Affiliated Auctions from Florida. all of a sudden none of my bids on the jewelry were accepted and auction showed "passed" I emailed them right then they said there were "reserves" but NONE showed any reserves .Then all of a sudden bids started at $80.00 instead of the online $20.00 they passed quite a few people.I emediatly asked for all my other bids be cancled but they did nothing (although they cancel bids for people at the auction)... So i contacted proxy got a woman who had the personality of an un-flushed toilet barley knew what she was doing but said too bad they can do what they want..BS never again

richardh152
3/17/16

This is the the 3rd time this has happened with this auction house.

scottm146
3/5/16

I purchased a few items from an auction from Las Vegas Liquidations on ProxyBid.com. After winning the auctions I get a call from Las Vegas Liquidations with an outrageous price for shipping for these items. I buy items on other auction sites, and have for a long time, so I know how much shipping should be. They quoted me $65 to ship about 13 lbs. in items when it should have been $24 through UPS. After attempting to discuss this with the owner, Frank Odeh, he just hung up on me. Next thing I know he reports me to ProxyBid and my account gets a black flag. I called ProxyBid and they basically told me there's nothing I can do and I am done bidding on their site. I can't file a complaint against the seller, I can't do anything but pay that shipping amount to get my account back - there's nothing I can do.

With other sites out there that are reputable ProxyBid just isn't worth the headache. Also, when you go to ProxyBid.com on Google Chrome you get an alert from Google telling you the site isn't safe. Beware putting your credit card info on a site like that!!

Tip for consumers: Find another auction site - there's plenty of them out there that care about their buyers.

genevac4
3/4/16

I submitted a pre-bid online for 18 cast iron plates, Lot 172, at an auction on March 3, 2016 in Tracy, California with Surplus Asset Management (SAM) and it was passed over. When I posted online during the live bidding what happened to this lot I bid on immediately after the lot was "passed", the written reply stated this lot was grouped with another lot. I checked later my Watch List link and it erroneously states "I passed this lot" when I never did. After the auction was finished I saw online this Lot 172 was never grouped with another lot per the written reply by the consignor and instead was shown as not sold. So, I was lied to about the items being grouped with another lot and the Proxibid website erroneously showed I passed this lot when I never did. I called the Proxibid Phoenix, Arizona office and was told the consignor probably just changed it's mind during the live auction. I don't understand why not just tell me the truth instead of just trying to lie about the pulled lot. So, for you future bidders be aware SAM and Proxibid during an online auction will not only spontaneously pull a listed lot, but will thereafter lie about it later that it was grouped and then incorrectly put on your Watch list YOU decided to pass it. Very frustrating and deceiving. Just tell the truth please SAM and Proxibid, and the integrity of your auctions will not be so abismal!

tonip8
2/28/16

I just got off the phone with a Proxibid agent....I stayed with an auction all evening until the clock ran down to 0 seconds. I was the high bidder on china I was buying for my daughter's wedding. The computer read "Updating"....and when it finally posted...I HAD LOST THE STUPID ITEM! The agent's explanation? "Oh well, we have two different timers running and the Java platform didn't update you to let you know that someone else was still able to bid." Really...after 0 seconds? I am beyond ticked off....I am furious!
I fully intend to tell the world. I will give one star because there is not a way to give none.

charlesl70
2/21/16

At first it was difficult to understand and grasp their process. We decided to run a pilot opportunity and it was successful. Our company will continue to sell our assets with Proxy and their partners.

micheles39
1/11/16

What a fiasco this business is. I'm not entirely sure how the auctions are setup, as in who does the auctioning, if any pre-set prices are established, etc., but overall it is the most unprofessional chaotic sorry excuse for a clearing house I've ever taken part in. I often do online auctioning, I've attended live as well and they seem to run the same way. Open bidding after close/winning bid announced, ignore bids if they don't suit the auctioneer's idea of price, horrible internet and communication device, items out of order, item description changed mid-bidding, pre-bid completely ignored, etc. I will avoid any event hosted by Proxibid.

joek63
11/2/15

What's up with that... I think you have a security glitch.

arlob
9/30/15

During my last online auction using Proxibid, I have some great concerns. During 2 items up for auction, I was the high bid when the time ran out and once updated someone else was the buyer. On 2 later items up for auction, I raised my maximum bid with no other bidders and Proxibid raised my purchase price with no apparent in between bidders. My worst experience yet. Have left bids in past but could not watch the auction. This makes me wonder about doing that again.

raymonda15
9/22/15

I have had a great experience with Proxibid for over 3 years. Most auction houses are great. The biggest problem I have seen are scamming, or unscrupulous buyers. Looking at reviews of auction houses by those bidders they attack the auction house about what they won. The buyer got items they should have spent 10 times what they actually paid, and then say they should get a refund. example a ring that should have sold for 100 or more they got for 10 and say they got ripped off WOW WHAT A JOKE. Read the terms and conditions and follow them. If you don't like something then don't bid. If you do bid then pay what you agreed to pay by bidding, and move along. Don't cry because your an idiot who can't read, or thinks that they should get something for free. You are not gonna make a million dollars on 1 item. Be realistic!!!! If you can read, and have a brain in your head then you should go to proxibid. Great deals, and great items.

christopherm68
9/19/15

No RESERVES ON DIAMONDS GOLD ETC

robinf13
8/12/15

I'm a user of Proxibid both as a buyer and seller and was compelled to write a review after stumbling upon this page. As with any auction, retail store, business, the buyer or anything else on the internet, the buyer must take precautions. We love Proxibid, so I will give the reader a few tips that I hope you might find useful. First, I would use companies that have the APN logo. This is Auction Payment Network. It's the most secure way that the auction company will hold and process your financial information. I would not use an auction house that doesn't have it. Second, if buying a car or truck do not make a large purchase without a VIN number. If it is not in the description, call and ask for one. Sometimes we don't have one if the entry is late or the consignor hasn't provided all the details yet, and we want to get it online at least, but even (we) recommend that you get that VIN number so you can do a CARFAX before you buy. If you have someone local, send them over to inspect it for you. Ask ask ask questions before bidding. If you don't get answers, do not bid. Need more pictures of something? Ask for them. Another tip, save the photos of the item you are bidding on. Or right after the auction, the items you win. Many auctions like us remove the catalogs after invoicing. We have so many auctions that there are just too many to keep them all up there. This way you have the pictures. Delete them later. Anything seem too good to be true? It might be. Proxibid has a great reputation, so if you see anything that doesn't seem right, give them a call or send them an email. Believe me, the folks there would want to know. Never use the live application on a mobile device. As for pre-bidding, bid with confidence. I can only speak for our auction company, but many times, the online bidder is OUTBID as far as pre-bids go, so winning at your max bid would not be a surprise. Items bring what they are worth. Sometimes great deals, but mostly when you have lots of people online and onsite, the item will bring what it is worth. We like to send out a live message that reads "PreBid is OUT" letting you know each time those max pre-bids are extinguished. Sorry to read all about the lousy experiences. If at anytime we can assist with an online question just check us out, or email us. Even if it isn't about our auction, perhaps we can lend some friendly advice. Just remember, online auctions are not retail. Things (unless announced otherwise) usually do not have a warranty, and are sold as-is where is. If this is not something you are comfortable with, do not bid, or go and bid onsite only where you can see, touch, and inspect the item and feel more confident about the purchase. Again, very sorry to read the horror stories online. The internet should be a better marketplace than that for buyers and sellers. Check out Proxibid again, and look for all those bidder badges. APN, Top Seller, Preferred Partner. Good Luck and Happy Bidding!
Fields Auction-Lake Park, Florida

donj26
8/8/15

I was bidding on a car online and though I won the car. Few hours later I receive an invoice and it is a truck! I did not bid on a truck! Proxibid refused to help with the auction. And the auction house was threating to sue me if I didn't pay. The auction house and proxibid scammed me out of thousands of dollars plus the trucks odometer was set back which was not listed on the description and did not match the title. PLEASE! STAY AWAY FROM PROXIBID!!! If you buy a vehicle, go in person. Do not buy through online auction.

arnoldh24
7/30/15

Proxibid says that their representative will bid for me in increments up to my maximum preset price. Seems strange that I have paid my maximum price on everything I have purchased through Proxibid. I can bet that the Proxibid representative is telling the auctioneer what my maximum is, and, therefore, the auctioneer is running the bid to my maximum. This is collusion, which is fraud. Proxibid refuses to answer my charges. It's a shame that the internet has created so may crooks.

haw23
7/19/15

I have made many good purchases through Proxibid. Coins, antiques and firearms to name a few. However, it pays to do a little homework before bidding.

Here are my list of dont's:
1. Don't bid on items when there are no or too few photos, or if the description is not adequate.
2. Don't patronize any auction house that reserves the right to look at pre-bids
3. Don't patronize any auction house that reserves the right to bid themselves, or allows the consignee to bid on items.
4. Read the conditions of sale to look for the "hidden" conditions including shipping conditions.

If you are competing with the "floor" there is a good chance that the auction house is trying to pump up the final sale price.

arnoldb37
6/26/15

Auctioners and floor people are allowed to bid on items they think are to low. Once I see an onsite bid I'm done.

lloydr14
6/17/15

You read that right.....I bid on a land deal in the Bahamas that was a total SCAM. I had to send a $10,000 deposit within 24 hours so as not to leave me time to investigate prior to sending money. When I called Proxibid I had to talk to a lazy lame a$$ guy named Gabriel that was probably in on the scam the whole way because he gave me every lame excuse he could think of to take the scam artists side. One other person got scammed too in the same sale and Gabriel lied to me telling me I was the only one until I gave him names and then he started back peddling. Please BEWARE of Proxibid! They welcome scammers with open arms and they are right there waiting to steal your retirement and your dreams!

martah4
6/10/15

I ended up with an item that someone else bid on using my information. Proxibid threatened me when I questioned the transaction. I discovered there were two accounts for me, both with my credit card, and I only created one. These competed against each other on an item I was "watching." I doubt I will ever see the item and now have to cancel my credit card. Proxibid has ZERO customer service and a low level of security. EBayis much better.

cm84
6/4/15

You bid on items, win, pay for it, but you never receive it.
Call up the auction house and they claim it was sent to the wrong address. Really?
You just shipped $500 worth or merchandise to a wrong address and think that it is not a big deal, just brush it off.
So what the auction house does is put an item up, if it sells for lower than what they want it sold for, they claim that they shipped it to the wrong address, sorry. This way they can ensure they get the price they want while still looking legitimate.
The will give you your money back. What you cannot get back is the time you spent, sometimes the whole day, following the auction. You cannot get that time back, you cannot be compensated for that.

jeffh79
5/22/15

Proxibid refuses to release credit card information even though there have been no transactions. I am having all kinds of problems to get them to delete my account. I am reporting my credit card as stolen and I am reporting this business to the BBB.

Tip for consumers: Dont give them any credit card information

danan3
4/5/15

I have not had a bad experience on Proxibid, ever. I do, however, only deal with auction houses that appear to have their act together. If you bid recklessly you will not be happy with the results. One of the other reviews speaks about doing your homework. ....truer words could not be spoken. Silvertowne Auctions I highly recommend these guys great items, great prices, low shipping costs.

andrewr49
4/4/15

I bought an item in 2014. and paid for the item. after two months I never received item. proxibid user agreement guarantees refund. but when threatened legal actions proxibid renigged on the uses agreement and and I only received 60% refund. And when I complained the customer service manager flagged my account because he was getting a kickback from that auction. I advise everyone to steer clear of proxibid

gailb29
1/28/15

Be careful of auction houses that have a lot of high dollar "onsite" bids. It seems to me that they are either driving up the price, or not wanting to sell items at a reasonable price. Most of these don't have audio and/or video and seem like a scam to me.
The website itself is great.

mullisf
12/3/14

Keep in mind that Proxibid is an aggregator that skims a nice cut off the top; that increases the price you wind up paying. The biggest problem is the auction houses that they represent are mostly a bunch of scumbag fly by night outfits; go visit a few; I have. There are a few that are fairly reputable, but the vast majority are not. Issues that I have had to deal with are misrepresented products, misrepresentation of total commissions, tacking on of extra fees, extremely slow shipping, poor customer support, and ridiculous rules to comply with. The most frustrating issue is when they sell the item onsite for the same price that I had earlier submitted. The best solution is to do what I am planning and that is to stop dealing with them. Good-by Proxibid.

lornag1
11/18/14

Overall the site has been okay but stay away from any of the Unique Find Auctions they are a joke. I bought something in October 2012 they lost it in mailing then found it then said it was ok only to say it was damaged. They promised to mail, to give me back my money, etc. and NOTHING has been done even with a complaint into Proxibid for over a month. The government auctions are a scam as well they sent an appraisal on a piece of jewelry for $27,000 and it's worth about $300 for the silver, the jewels are worth basically nothing. Good think I didn't pay a lot for it!

mehrdadg
10/15/14

I purchased a van from an auction in montana through proxibid,l almost two months ago the auction had sent the Title by regular mai to this date I have not received title for the truck, I called the auction they told me they will have the original owner apply for new title that was a month ago, last week I called proxibid first they did not want to take responsibility and tried to blame the auction. finally they opened a case contacted the auction and they told me the auction is trying their best to get me the title, I just have to wait. I called the DMV in Montana and they told me as of today they have not applied for duplicate title. My attorney now is involved. PROXIBID IS FRAUD even one star is high for these people

vincel12
10/13/14

be careful using proxibid and the questionable auction houses that are allowed to use the proxibid service..i recently made an online purchase through proxibid at the Schaben auction house in iowa and found they charged my credit card twice for $354.00 for one purchase. the auction house has not responded or refunded the $354.00 over-charge and proxibid sent a very generic email response of "sorry for your recent experience". and that was it..now i'm out $354.00......my advice is DON'T BID ONLINE THROUGH PROXIBID, if it's not a local auction house that you can go to in person if you have a problem,,stay away from it.

carrieb3
10/9/14

Proxibid just facilitates the auctions to reach people they are not responsible for what the auctioneers do. I have purchase through someone on there and they were wonderful. I bought a painting and was called when the auction company realized it was not real. They refunded my money quickly. If you have a problem with your purchases here you should not blame Proxibid but the actual auction you bought from.

chrisa78
8/26/14

Why is it we only look for these pages once we've had an issue....

The facts... I have an issue with an auction house which resulted in a black flag on my account from proxibid. I contacted proxibid looking for support. They offer none. "Proxibid is simply a means of putting the buyer and the auction houses in touch" They do not offer support for a black flag on your account & will only remove it once the auction house says everything has been resolved regardless of the matter.

Please note, its been a month and a half of emailing to get to the end result of $14.00. My account has been on hold for 45 day's all over 14$. Also note, today was the first time they emailed me about anything. I did not get notice of the black flag & account lockout, and I've emailed them 6 times and have called 3 times to get here. So, if you're planning to look into anything with these guys, grab a chair because they are going to drag this along until you just simply... go away.

For those who want my story:

I had an auction company triple the cost of shipping on an order compared to a previous order with them. When I questioned them, they took offense and told me that just because I got a great deal on my items didn't mean I was going to get cheap shipping. I bought (9) 12" action figures. They said the shipment was (2) large boxes at 32LBS. That works out to 3.5LBS per action figure... 2 Large boxes?? So basically this became an unpaid invoice to which proxibid will not help me with, resulting in a black flag that they will not remove because I'm not willing to send a scamming business my $14....

I hope this helps people make an informed decision when dealing with this company. I understand issues only affect a few, but best to know what you're getting into from a user perspective.

Tip for consumers: There is really no way to know how reputable these auction houses are until its too late. That is something everyone should consider. Your credit card is out there for them to charge anything they want to it all based on how they have the terms of use set up.

My Tip, be careful folks, you're leaving yourself wide open using this company.

chrism140
8/25/14

They are awesome. I don't understand the complaints. Look for Auctionwholesales on proxibid they are the best. The problems I am reading are from customers who did not do there homework. This is not ebay

martyg9
8/4/14

It's easy to get addicted to this site, it's like gambling especially if you want to buy cheap stuff and try to flip it but beware.

1) Shipping charges can be outrages and you don't know until the item(s) are charged to your card.

2) Auction Sites mislead items and represent them as something else. This has happened twice to me, one was a lithograph that was described as being gorgeous, when I received it it was in extremely poor condition. Another time I bought an item and it was clearly used and was described as unused.

3) Getting your money back is almost impossible, it takes lots of fighting and most the time you'll be ignored by the seller. You have to open up a claim to proxibid, but even if you receive a damaged item, the auctioner gets their item back and collects on the internet premium.

This site should be shut down, there's horrible business practices being done on this site.

annieo5
6/22/14

Have had great experiences with Proxibid for the last 2 years. I bid on an item on accident called them and they immediately erased the bid. Any items I have bought have been just as described. Wonderful service!

erins20
5/30/14

In seeing all the bad reviews from bidders its obvious these bad reviews are from bidders that are pissed they have to actually PAY for an item they win on the day they win it. Don't these idiots pay for a gallon of milk when they go to the store? Or do they expect to take a drink to test it before they pay for it.

scottv9
4/26/14

Just beware that even if you do not purchase anything, they still hold your credit card info hostage for 14 days!?! When asked they just say "for legal Reasons" and refuse to help. I would never recommend this site to anyone.

lynnm41
4/22/14

Proxibid's only concern is serving the auction companies, not the bidder. I had a false complaint filed by an auction company employee I had personal conflict with. As a result Proxibid has blocked me from all bidding through the site. Proxibid's employees, whom I chatted with repeatedly, know this is incredibly unethical and they often apologize for the problem. They repeatedly promise to have someone call me to correct it, however, no one ever does. This is a shady company. I still bid in the auctions but I go to the site, never using Proxibid.

joem96
3/13/14

Awesome the best auction site ever! So much to bid on so little time WOOT!!!!

cosmini
2/19/14

Proxibid allowed the auction house to charge my card without even sending me an invoice !!! I got charges various amounts without knowing for what. When contacted Proxibid not only did nothing to help me but even told me that the auction house has the right to choose how they run their business... Really!!! you took my card info and just give it to some crooks !!!

skips3
11/8/13

Warning! Danger! Proxibid's auctioneers have the ability to simply pass on lots if the "bid is not commensurate with the value of the item offered". Look at their unified user agreement sec 5.4

Translation: no deals, and a waste of time.

P.O.S. scam site!!!!!!

marks127
9/3/13

Auction house claimed car was “solid body” and “good floors” and only posted glamour shots and day of auction the pictures went dead and then after auction the auction house posted new photos. When I went to pick the car up the floors were gone and the new photos showed it. Two vehicles purchased form this auction house and both less than what was listed. Rust was so bad on one “restorable” vehicle I had to sell it for parts and now this one needs an additional $2700 to get it even close to what they made claim to. Tried suing them in local court, but now have to go to state of where sale was to sue them there. They are so bad they showed up to court, but did not want it tried due to technicality of jurisdiction. What a coward! Auction House is Vanderbrink she lied to me and after I showed her proof, she said “I can’t remember that it was almost 2 years ago” try 13 months and it was in her writing! Stay Clear of her auctions as she even states in her advertisement she is out for the seller. Her email is “:salvageprincess” What a piece of work.

Proxibid has done nothing to assist and their escalation department is a guy by the name of Stephen, who never responds to emails, phone calls or letters. So don’t think you will ever get support if one of their scam auction houses screws you.

jn13
8/20/13

Watch out. The online bidding is there to raise the price for on site bidders. 17-22% commission plus hefty shipping and packaging fees means your gonna pay ~25% more than an item is worth.
Coin auctions include fakes, cleaned poorly described merchandise.

jackw44
8/5/13

Sleazy Auction Houses That don't send your items !! Proxibid suggests we the consumer contact the auction houses. But beware if you don't pay for an item , they shut you down in an instant with a black flag .

tims45
8/4/13

Most auctioneers using proxibid seriously break many auction ethics and the law! Proxibid does jack about it, they only care about the money they make from the auction houses, Beware of Major Misrepresentation lot's of T&C Confusion.

stuartc18
7/18/13

Bidders beware! What you see is not what you get when it comes to these live auctions. Descriptions are vague and items such as "framed prints" will turn out to be no more than a page from a book framed. This company takes no responsibility for their misdirection and misleading item pictures and descriptions. Also, online bidders are constantly dealing with bidding more than they want as the bid amount changes as they press the button and many times when they are trying to bid, bids are not recognized. Thus there is a great risk of either overbidding or losing an important bid.

bobh24
7/17/13

In my opinion this site should be shut down.

curth12
7/15/13

It's a fun site - if you like live auctions it can be a great way to catch some super deals. Just remember to keep in mind premiums and shipping costs.

rons30
5/20/13

Used it a few times. So far so good!

jerryb32
5/4/13

I recently bid on a car at auction and you can choose a pre-bid amount. I was leaving the house and decided to pre-bid on a car, thinking the auction would take place after I left. As it turns out I was still at the house when the auction happened. It was very strange, they show the high bidder online as the bid amount changes. Every time the bid increased it posted my name until it hit the max and I was the high bidder.

To me it looked like they ran the price up to my max, I could have bought the car for way less, very fishy looking. I call Proxibid after and they said someone was bidding, but I personally doubt it, no way to prove it. I recommend you be very careful buying anything that involves these guys.

BE CAREFUL Buying anything represented by these guys!!

markm87
4/11/13

I think a lot of people misunderstand what Proxibid is. I have only used it twice now but I only used it the first time because I couldn't make it to the local auction Crawfordfamilyauctions.com. there were a couple of rings I wanted to bid on so I used Proxibid and I won, I didn't even pay through Proxibid, I went down to Crawfords and payed and picked up the items.
The second auction was online only from an auction held in California. I bid on two rings and and payed through paypal. Everything went fine.
What I am noticing is that many people are treating Proxibid like it is ebay which it is not. Anyone who has gone into a live auction in person knows how auctions work, that is exactly how this site is. Proxibid is only a host site for the auctions, that is it. The ABC Auction house is having an auction today and they want it available online so they place it on Proxibid.com. If this type of auctioning makes you nervous what I suggest is looking up in the yellowpages auction houses in your local area and go to a few auctions, get the experience of a real auction, not ebay style auctions.
At real auctions some items are consigned and have a minimum price, if it doesn't reach that price it doesn't sell, or the time gets extended based on a request from the owner. When you do purchase an item don't waste your time calling Proxibid, call the auction house and deal with them directly.
Most importantly you need to remember you are bidding against people that are there physically at the auction house.
Good luck people and have fun.

11 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Proxibid staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question