US Government's NSF
Review of Privnote

Privnote reviews

Categories: Privacy

▼ Sort by: recent

First of all, I need to take issue with previous reviewer Ian's panning of this site on the basis of its privacy policy. I invite readers to review that policy, at I see no problem with it whatsoever, and I've written Ian repeatedly in the hope he would share with me his concerns, but I've received no response.

I recommend Privnote as a free alternative to paid by-subscription email tracking services, which I've found to be worthless or worse (worse because of misplaced reliance the user may place on them). Instead of tracking your email, Privnote tracks when the recipient reads a note to which she's referred by a special link you include in the message.

Privnote promotes itself as a means to send notes that "self-destruct," and that's true enough. In my view, though, its value lies, as mentioned, in its tracking capability. A secondary benefit is the air of importance assumed by a private note that can be seen only via the link.

The self-destruct feature can be marginally useful if you want to be sure nobody else has read your note. And before the note's been read you can use that feature to cancel the note, should you have second thoughts.

This website does do the job, but I feel uncomfortable after reading the websites privacy policy. I suggest that anyone who does use it doesn't write anything that could personally identify themselves or something that could cause harm.

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Privnote staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
A: Pablo, your review downgrades Privnote because of its privacy policy, but you don't say what about it bothers you. Can you be more specific?
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the Privnote staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?