US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

kelseym1

I have decided rather than purchase my next dog from a breeder, I will check out available animals on this site. (in 17 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

tiffanyt11
3/23/15

I asked questions about the application and they told I was rude so if I couldnot do the application then the rest of the process would be too difficult for them to work with me so therefore they told me they denied me because I was rude and all I did was ask a question so therefore do not even go to these people take your business elsewhere.

karenl59
2/26/15

I know there are lots of dogs that need good homes. You hear about all it the time. I have contacted pet finders web site several times to adopt a dog. They don't want u too adopt these dogs. They act like no one is good enough. So keep ur dogs. I will find a dog that really needs a good loving home. but It will not be thru pet finders, because I will not contact them again.

robyns6
2/24/15

Our experience with Petfinder has been awful. They won't respond in a timely manner. The decided the rescue prices were too high though they were in line with the area so stopped replying at all and would not give approval. Yet they allow breed specific rescues to charge $400 for adoptions.

I think Petfinder is using their position to bully new rescues. If you require a certain pricing then you need to make that information available. Rescues are folding all the time because they try to keep prices low but find out that the costs of vetting and maintaining animals can cause issues with sustainability.

I have found Petfinder representatives to be unprofessional, and hoping that some of the other pet search websites mange to take over the market. This has caused a great hardship for our start up rescue and all because we ended up with one representative that decided to dictate to us.

kennam
1/12/15

Honestly, my Petfinder experience wasn't so bad. First of all, these animals are from local pet organizations, so you should probably expect good healthy pets, no puppy mills if you are looking for a dog, etc. However, beware of a few "no call-back" organizations. In my case, I was looking for a perfect puppy and kitten to enlighten my vacant home a bit. I searched up the right pets, contacted the organizations ASAP, left a message when they couldn't answer, and even emailed them. The organization where I chose to adopt my kitty was quick and efficient in checking their email and I was able to make an appointment to pick up my kitty in no time. However, for my dog, I had to wait an entire 3 MONTHS before someone FINALLY replied to my email. When I asked them why they took so long, someone answered their organization was taking a small break and had found foster homes for all their pets. WHAT? Luckily, I was able to find the foster owner and adopt my wonderful dog. My kitten is now 10 months old, is healthy, and is an energetic little furball. My dog is 8 months old, is healthy as well, and is friendly and social in my home.

jamesc201
12/26/14

Useless site. I found 6 different dogs for my mother. With each of them when I called the organizations that had them I found that every dog had at least a 10 person wait list before the dog was even available for adoption. My recommendation is FIND A DIFFERENT SITE for your next pet.

vanessag10
11/12/14

I contacted "Come to the Shelter," to inquire about a listed cat. When I decided to adopt from a local no kill shelter, with a less expensive fee, I started receiving harassing emails. I hope Petfinder reads this review. It is rescues like this one that give them a bad reputation.

kimberlyg16
9/15/14

I have be searching for a dog for about 3 months. Petfinder has thousands of listings and it takes great deal of time to search through. Many times searches are dropped midway, which is very frustrating. The absolute worst thing about this site, is that once you click on contact this organization, NO ONE ever gets back to you. I filled out nearly 20 application for different shelters and rescues, and have not been contacted saying that my application has been approved. Not sure this is a fault of petfinder, but it would seem much easier to have one application approved by petfinder that person could fill out. It would also seem better to make sure that shelters make contact when an application has been received. Terrible experience. With so many homeless pets, one would think better efforts would be made to get these animals adopted.

laurad36
8/13/14

Most consumers will check the BBB or online reviews when they are purchasing something of value. I just recently purchased a dog from Sunset Acres Kennels in Butler, MO. I was so impressed with the owner, Elaine Craig. Her professionalism, knowledge, and her attention to detail is what makes her kennel stand out from the rest. My pet came home with a completed full color book filled with care instructions, medical records, building inspections, family tree history, photos and so much more. I was contacted immediately the next day to make sure the transition was a positive one for my pet. My pet has adapted beautifully in my home, not only with his socialization skills with my other animals but also with his acceptance of his kennel. He plays well with his toys and goes in his kennel when we leave. He is almost completely potty trained and he is only 12 weeks old.

wendyw26
7/19/14

I spent hours and hours looking for a dog on Petfinder.com. Even after narrowing the search down, there were over 1500 dogs to choose from. So the website could be changed so that you could narrow the searches even further. And if that happened, maybe the site would not crash as much. Two weeks ago, I found a dog that was a good match. So far, the rescue group hasn't even checked my references. I have filled out several applications, but I have not even met one of the rescue/foster dogs yet. I think maybe there should be only one application to be filled out that gets the Petfinder "Seal of Approval." Then you should be able to adopt from any group that advertises on the site. Lastly, I think that we should be able to give feedback concerning the individual rescue groups we deal with. At this point, I would give all the rescue groups I have dealt with a negative rating. The local shelters have been great to work with, but the small rescue groups have been all but impossible to work with.

allisons31
7/15/14

The site is woefully dysfunctional. Search settings are routinely lost, mid-search, so that all of the settings have to be reentered. So-called saved searches aren't immune from this problem either. The dropdown menus get stuck with regularity, so that only the top option displays for checking off. The message "Sorry, no pets available within specified distance" displays for no reason, extremely often. Pets that have already been adopted continue to be listed for many weeks. (I realize this may be more the fault of the individual shelters than petfinder; still, it renders the information much less useful than it should be.) The distance parameters make no sense; why jump from "within 100 miles" to "within 500 miles"? What about 200, 300, or 400 miles? In other words, one has to choose between shelters within a couple of hours' drive vs. ones that would take a day or more to reach! I've e-mailed petfinder about the problems I've encountered repeatedly. Replies have ranged from "You don't *have* to use petfinder" (really?) to claims that the problems are "infrequent" even though they are nearly constant. It seems reasonable to wonder whether tech support with more expertise might be able to improve this very user-unfriendly site, which is nevertheless performing an important service and therefore should be MUCH, MUCH better.

rc44
7/9/14

Petfinder is an average website. Highly frustrating that it cannot seem to handle the internet traffic load and resetting your connection and losing your preferences time and time again. Would be valuable to be able to include "not" words, as Collie -border which would speed searching. Very frustrating and odd not being able to search for a common breed, a Rough Coated Collie as it isn't on their list of dogs.

dianen3
3/22/14

I have been looking for a small, young or baby dog for over a year. Several puppies caught my eye and after filling out many applications, I either got no response or one organization requested pictures of my house and my 2 deceased Springer Spanials, who died at 15 and 16 years old. I would think they would be most interested in my vet referral. Ultimately I purchased a beautiful toy poodle from a private breeder listed on the AKC site. When I brought her to my vet for her first appointment my vet said my new puppy has no idea how lucky she is to have landed with me. Too bad these organizations were not interested in my vet referral.

dalek9
2/15/14

No one responds to enquiries or applications. If you
Are legitimaty trying to place pets ASAP then why the delay
In response??? My son, who has aspergers, doesn't
Understand why no one will respond. He now thinks
That this is all a sham. Pretty savvy on his part because I too
Believe that this whole site is nothing but a sham.

kaitys
1/13/14

It's a hit or miss kind of website :(

maddier
7/10/13

I am extremely upset by the way Posey Pet Promoters on Petfinder handled my adoption process. They were not attentive to my calls, emails, or voicemails concerning a dog I thoroughly wanted to adopt. When I first called the shelter, they told me there were no applications for him. I was the under the impression that I was the first applicant for him, and I should have been notified when other applicants applied to adopt him. She never picked up the phone once to call me and had my number. I called her multiple times and she had plenty of chances to notify me of this. I thought Gail Posey had a wonderful facility to help animals, but helping the people adopt them out is important, too. I will not recommend her services to any animal lover, for they will probably be just as disappointed as I am. She was apparently too busy to ever contact me, but that is no excuse. I bought everything for that dog and was under the impression he would be mine once she finally reviewed my application. I called her for the fifth time and said the dog was adopted out the morning I called...not pleased with this process in the least bit.

megm5
7/7/13

My family recently decided to adopt a dog from petfinder. After weeks of research we found a dog, bought all the necessary supplies and set up a home inspection. Two woman, one who was fostering the dog and another who was higher up in the organization dropped the dog off, approved him to live with us, signed all paperwork and took a check for payment. Not even two hours later after buying a crate and name tag the women were back at our door askin for the dog back. At first they claimed it was "for the safety of our smaller dogs" but soon admitted the foster mother could not give the dog up. We asked that they give us a week with the dog to reconsider our emotions but would not budge. I am simply writing this review to advise anyone who is adopting a dog to look at the history of the foster family. Chances are if this is their first foster they may not be able to part. Only good thing to come out of this is that the woman who fostered the dog will no longer be allowed to foster animals. Be careful before you fall in love!

gayleb3
7/5/13

Over a year ago I applied to adopt a $#*!er Spaniel named Rusty and spent several hours filling out a lengthy application that included my vet's name and phone number for a reference. I never got a response from Petfinders.com as to whether or not the dog had been adopted or otherwise. Just logged on Petfinders and saw that Rusty had been adopted......A WHOLE YEAR LATER!!!!!! Hallalujah!!! It seems like Petfinders would have the common decency to let you know whether or not your application had been accepted or not.....at least within a couple of days after spending all that time filling out the application.....also, lol, after a year the dog has been adopted so they could have at least informed everyone that applied for adoption of the dog so we would all know that the the animal had finally found a home. And now, I've done it again for another $#*!er Spaniel and the same thing happens.....I've decided the best thing for me is to find a breeder and buy a puppy. So sorry it has to be this way....I've owned six $#*!ers in the last 20 years...love the breed and am an excellent care giver for these dogs and would rather adopt a dog in need of a good home rather than start from scratch. What is wrong with you people????

lynnj3
4/25/13

Petfinder needs to screen or more thoroughly screen the organizations that are placing "adoptable" pets on their site.
I know some people who have had very positive experiences -I know others (including myself) that have not.
Petfinder is just the host... be sure to do research and read reviews on the organization that you will actually be dealing with!!!!
I just went through a horrible time with NEW ENGLAND ALL BREED RESCUE and ALPHA TRANSPORT of CT, MA and RI. Their ads are misleading and they lie about whatever they think will make the dog look more attractive to the adoptee. They are adopting out sick dogs!! Once you have the dog and they have your $$$ it's too late....they are done with you. Trust me and do a ton of research if you are even thinking of doing business with these people. If you are able to try and contact the people who have written the bad reviews and ask them why they had such a bad experience. Remember the "good" reviews could have been written by the organization themselves.

maryjanes
11/9/12

Be very careful when you adopt a dog! The dog we adopted did not work out and the rescue group refused to take him back as was stipulated in their contract. There was never any follow through after we adopted him. They are quick to place dogs and that's where the buck stops.

maryjaneg
10/21/12

Petfinder itself is wonderful, but PLEASE read the reviews on the adoption/rescue group that has the animal before adopting from any of them. I had a very bad experience with one that was very difficult to deal with and totally misrepresented the dog, causing me thousands in unexpected vet bills because they had failed to disclose what the true condition of the dog was, not to mention a false spay certificate.

drewh6
9/25/12

Purchased a puppy through this website, hade a negative experience with the seller, posted a review, and was just notified by petfinder.com it has been deleted. Aparently I am only allowed to shared documented facts - no hint of personal opinion. What is the definition of a customer review? This website dangerously protects the seller (good or bad). Watch out!

sammiec1
12/26/11

Petfinder.com is a great site to find a new best friend. They have lots of ads for puppies, dogs, and cats that are waiting for a good family to come and adopt them. Rather than buy a puppy from a breeder, why not show some love to one of these guys that needs it?

kelseym1
11/17/11

No matter the breed, sex or age - this site seems to have them all! I have decided rather than purchase my next dog from a breeder, I will check out available animals on this site. You can search by age, sex, breed, species and location. This is a VERY well designed site. Sometimes it's a little heartbreaking to read the stories of the little critters looking for homes. Before you buy from a breeder, consider adopting from here!

gerardos1
7/25/11

I would refer this website too anyone, adopt a pet! There are so many animals that need a home. This website helped me find my awesome dog Marty.

toddl
11/2/10

Probably my number one recommendation for anyone looking for a new pet. There are so many pets in need of a home and people should at least look here first before they go to their local breeder or pet store.

enriquea
11/1/10

I found my cat here!

timk3
7/23/10

Don't shop , adopt!

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Petfinder staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: What should I do? We adopted a puppy recently paying $350. The pupply was delivered to us by an extremely nice person who was making a trip this way for another reason. We truly appreciated this.

The day after I received her I brought my puppy to the vet after noticing that my new pupply has both baby teeth and adult teeth and has some pretty foul breath, not regular pupply breath. It's bad.

My vet said my puppy as peridontal disease, will need to have the baby teeth extracted, get her teeth cleaned and maybe be placed on meds. I have no intentions of giving this tiny girl back. However I think I may ask for a refund of the $350.

So far I have paid the shelter person $350, my vet $164 so far and the cost of getting my puppy's teeth to their normal state will cost between $500 - $700. This is going to run me a total range of $1014 - $1214.

Can anyone advise me, should I ask for a refund or just forget it. This little girl will be a friend for a pupply that I purchased at a pet store and he came with papers and cost me alot less. He is in perfect health, extremely energetic and has no problems. Kind of makes me wonder about shelter care.
4/26/12
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the Petfinder staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

Petfinder?
Click here to post a review