US Government's NSF

timk3

16 Reviews for Petfinder.com

▼ Sort by: recent

3/22/14

I have been looking for a small, young or baby dog for over a year. Several puppies caught my eye and after filling out many applications, I either got no response or one organization requested pictures of my house and my 2 deceased Springer Spanials, who died at 15 and 16 years old. I would think they would be most interested in my vet referral. Ultimately I purchased a beautiful toy poodle from a private breeder listed on the AKC site. When I brought her to my vet for her first appointment my vet said my new puppy has no idea how lucky she is to have landed with me. Too bad these organizations were not interested in my vet referral.

2/15/14

No one responds to enquiries or applications. If you
Are legitimaty trying to place pets ASAP then why the delay
In response??? My son, who has aspergers, doesn't
Understand why no one will respond. He now thinks
That this is all a sham. Pretty savvy on his part because I too
Believe that this whole site is nothing but a sham.

1/13/14

It's a hit or miss kind of website :(

7/10/13

I am extremely upset by the way Posey Pet Promoters on Petfinder handled my adoption process. They were not attentive to my calls, emails, or voicemails concerning a dog I thoroughly wanted to adopt. When I first called the shelter, they told me there were no applications for him. I was the under the impression that I was the first applicant for him, and I should have been notified when other applicants applied to adopt him. She never picked up the phone once to call me and had my number. I called her multiple times and she had plenty of chances to notify me of this. I thought Gail Posey had a wonderful facility to help animals, but helping the people adopt them out is important, too. I will not recommend her services to any animal lover, for they will probably be just as disappointed as I am. She was apparently too busy to ever contact me, but that is no excuse. I bought everything for that dog and was under the impression he would be mine once she finally reviewed my application. I called her for the fifth time and said the dog was adopted out the morning I called...not pleased with this process in the least bit.

7/7/13

My family recently decided to adopt a dog from petfinder. After weeks of research we found a dog, bought all the necessary supplies and set up a home inspection. Two woman, one who was fostering the dog and another who was higher up in the organization dropped the dog off, approved him to live with us, signed all paperwork and took a check for payment. Not even two hours later after buying a crate and name tag the women were back at our door askin for the dog back. At first they claimed it was "for the safety of our smaller dogs" but soon admitted the foster mother could not give the dog up. We asked that they give us a week with the dog to reconsider our emotions but would not budge. I am simply writing this review to advise anyone who is adopting a dog to look at the history of the foster family. Chances are if this is their first foster they may not be able to part. Only good thing to come out of this is that the woman who fostered the dog will no longer be allowed to foster animals. Be careful before you fall in love!

7/5/13

Over a year ago I applied to adopt a $#*!er Spaniel named Rusty and spent several hours filling out a lengthy application that included my vet's name and phone number for a reference. I never got a response from Petfinders.com as to whether or not the dog had been adopted or otherwise. Just logged on Petfinders and saw that Rusty had been adopted......A WHOLE YEAR LATER!!!!!! Hallalujah!!! It seems like Petfinders would have the common decency to let you know whether or not your application had been accepted or not.....at least within a couple of days after spending all that time filling out the application.....also, lol, after a year the dog has been adopted so they could have at least informed everyone that applied for adoption of the dog so we would all know that the the animal had finally found a home. And now, I've done it again for another $#*!er Spaniel and the same thing happens.....I've decided the best thing for me is to find a breeder and buy a puppy. So sorry it has to be this way....I've owned six $#*!ers in the last 20 years...love the breed and am an excellent care giver for these dogs and would rather adopt a dog in need of a good home rather than start from scratch. What is wrong with you people????

4/25/13

Petfinder needs to screen or more thoroughly screen the organizations that are placing "adoptable" pets on their site.
I know some people who have had very positive experiences -I know others (including myself) that have not.
Petfinder is just the host... be sure to do research and read reviews on the organization that you will actually be dealing with!!!!
I just went through a horrible time with NEW ENGLAND ALL BREED RESCUE and ALPHA TRANSPORT of CT, MA and RI. Their ads are misleading and they lie about whatever they think will make the dog look more attractive to the adoptee. They are adopting out sick dogs!! Once you have the dog and they have your $$$ it's too late....they are done with you. Trust me and do a ton of research if you are even thinking of doing business with these people. If you are able to try and contact the people who have written the bad reviews and ask them why they had such a bad experience. Remember the "good" reviews could have been written by the organization themselves.

11/9/12

Be very careful when you adopt a dog! The dog we adopted did not work out and the rescue group refused to take him back as was stipulated in their contract. There was never any follow through after we adopted him. They are quick to place dogs and that's where the buck stops.

10/21/12

Petfinder itself is wonderful, but PLEASE read the reviews on the adoption/rescue group that has the animal before adopting from any of them. I had a very bad experience with one that was very difficult to deal with and totally misrepresented the dog, causing me thousands in unexpected vet bills because they had failed to disclose what the true condition of the dog was, not to mention a false spay certificate.

9/25/12

Purchased a puppy through this website, hade a negative experience with the seller, posted a review, and was just notified by petfinder.com it has been deleted. Aparently I am only allowed to shared documented facts - no hint of personal opinion. What is the definition of a customer review? This website dangerously protects the seller (good or bad). Watch out!

12/26/11

Petfinder.com is a great site to find a new best friend. They have lots of ads for puppies, dogs, and cats that are waiting for a good family to come and adopt them. Rather than buy a puppy from a breeder, why not show some love to one of these guys that needs it?

11/17/11

No matter the breed, sex or age - this site seems to have them all! I have decided rather than purchase my next dog from a breeder, I will check out available animals on this site. You can search by age, sex, breed, species and location. This is a VERY well designed site. Sometimes it's a little heartbreaking to read the stories of the little critters looking for homes. Before you buy from a breeder, consider adopting from here!

Apprentice Reviewer
7/25/11

I would refer this website too anyone, adopt a pet! There are so many animals that need a home. This website helped me find my awesome dog Marty.

EXPERT
11/2/10

Probably my number one recommendation for anyone looking for a new pet. There are so many pets in need of a home and people should at least look here first before they go to their local breeder or pet store.

11/1/10