US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

courtneyw10

It also informs you that if you do not cancel within the 7 days they will charge you. (in 4 reviews)

jewelsw

I put in his New York phone number and it said name unavailable! (in 10 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

berniem22
2/24/15

I cancelled this in Dec .I didn't look at my credit card statement .I was looking for something today and found it was still charging .I called the person said I was not telling the truth about cancelling He said there is a times tamp wn\hen someone calls and there program never fails.Apparently they have the only system that is fool proof .You think they would get out of the present business and sell perfect software .I wish you could minus rate .

Tip for consumers: Do not hang up until you get an email.

dang46
2/19/15

I didn't find the service particularly helpful. I joined to try and get back in touch with an old military friend and couldn't find any info on him. I can forgive that as I'm sure it's difficult to find every single person you look for but every other phone number I tried to look for came up with nothing also. On top of that I kept getting messages that if I just subscribe to one more service I will find my results, and then one more service, and when that didn't work either, yet another service to pay more and subscribe to that will all but guarantee results.... i finally said enough is enough and went to cancel. Followed THEIR online instructions to cancel and what do you know, the opt out option they claimed was available online was not anywhere to be found. I then called the number they provided and after explaining that I had absolutely no use for their service and would like to cancel, received a sales pitch. Again, I can forgive one sales pitch because, hey, we all have a job to do... but the guy kept going. He had an amazing deal for me! He could offer me full membership to every service for just $4.95USD/Month (my original YEARLY plan was only $23.99). While I do not claim to be a genius by any measure, i can do simple math. Rounding the $4.95 to $5 and multiply by 12 and my amazing deal is only $60 per year! Wow, what a deal, its only triple what i already had payed! Anyway, when I explained to the nice person on the phone that I could indeed do math he finally conceded defeat and canceled my membership and hung up on me. I will never do business with them or any of their affiliates again and would recommend to steer clear of this service.

deeh27
2/18/15

THEY WILL SAY THEY WILL CANCEL YOUR MEMBERSHIP BUT TRY TO GIVE YOU ZERO REFUNDS

PEOPLESMART TRICKS YOU INTO MONTHLY BILLINGS - THEY WILL OFFER A SMALL FEE FOR A REPORT & THEN ADD MONTHLY BILLINGS OF SERVICES IN SMALLL PRINT THAT CAN ADD UP TO TREMENDOUS CHARGES - USUALLY 19.95 + 14.95 FOR TOW SEPARATE CHARGES EACH MONTH.

CALL PEOPLESMART AT 888-813-0008 AND ALL YOU HAVE TO DO TO GET OUR ONE-TIME, OR BACK TO 120 DAYS OF CHARGES OR IF YOU USED PAYPAL IS CALL & THREATEN TO CALL YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY ( OR PAYPAL ) AND DO A CHARGEBACK - THEY WILL GO BACK 120 DAYS OF FULL PAYMENT

Tip for consumers: THEY WILL SAY THEY WILL CANCEL YOUR MEMBERSHIP BUT TRY TO GIVE YOU ZERO REFUNDS

apzh
2/17/15

I tried this company back in march of 2014, I did not like it because all info was inaccurate on people that I knew so why be accurate on those who I do not. I called- cancelled. Today I notice a manual input charge on my discover card and its theses A$$H*LES taking more money. Never noticed until now so kind of my fault too but obviously they didn't do their job correctly! STAY AWAY and double check your accounts

Tip for consumers: Not accurate nor worth it and shady!

jays307
1/30/15

Everything everyone says about PeopleSmart is true. I've been with them for at least a year because I use them mainly to find telephone numbers. That part works most of the time. Otherwise, they are greedy bastards. I pay enough to have them do a search at least once a month, but they want to charge more for that. Their search engine adds letters to give wrong names and I had to call and complain to get satisfaction. They are arrogant and dismissive of their customers -- didn't care that I said I would drop the subscription.

Tip for consumers: I did hear back from PeopleSmart. They offered to renew my subscription for $4.95 per month, down from $19.95 per month. In other words, they will take whatever they can get! Who wants to do business with a company like that?

aspenh
1/28/15

This company is a scam they charged me 35 dollars even though I canceled my "membership" the same day I purchased it . I highly do not recommend this company! Such a scam!

Tip for consumers: Do NOT USE THIS SITE! Unless you like being ripped out of your money.

pauln48
1/26/15

I have 3 phone numbers in my name. I have had them for years. I reverse looked them up. All of them were wrong. I had looked up about 8 numbers with only 2 of them right. If you knew the information that you were trying to look up, you would not look them up. Cannot trust the data.

Tip for consumers: Don't get this site.

jamesb190
1/24/15

Tip for consumers: They are basically looking for ways to get access to your credit card (they over you a low fee for one purchase. Once you make a one time purchase for 1 search, they continue to deduct money from you card every month. I made a one time purchase and they continue to deduct money from my card for 4 months. They are NOT honest. It's a shame! I think they should be investigated.

dennist18
1/4/15

A casual perusal of this site revealed several factual errors when searching my and my son's names. I was prepared to spend 20 bucks to see what the actual full report had to
say about me but the robot wouldnt let me do it. I elected to pay by paypal and they vectored me to a (ostensibly part of PayPal) page where I HAD to give credit card info. Smelling a rat, I looped back thru the pages a few times till I found the catch I was not getting a 'free report' for $1 nor was I going to get the report I wanted for $19.95 but rather I was commiting to pay them $29.99 a month forever.... Scammers like this should be sent to prison. I am willing to pay 20 bux one time to see what they have but
am certain I'll regret giving them a cc#. Also sited like this must have a venue to correct erroneous info...doubt they do.

Tip for consumers: You will probably regret the service.

laurar45
1/3/15

TRICKY BUSINESS.deceptive practices. Do not use! I signed up for the trial at $0.95 and didn't like, immediately cancelled.
People smart also charged me $19.95 that same day even though I cancelled the "7 day trial"

Any emails they sent saying that only part of the acct was cancelled came in a DIFFERENT company name and went to my spam folder.

Then there was a second charge of $19.95 the next month.

I called to request reversal of these charges, and was told I didn't cancel the entire acct.
I then advised I dispute the charges, didn't find the service useful at all and wanted a supervisor. I was on hold about 2 minutes and the agent came back on the line and said that the 2 charges of $19.95 would be refunded and should show back on my acct within 24-48 business hours.

If I don't get the refund I will post here again.

Tip for consumers: Do NOT use! I should have googled this business before using it. Don't use any online business without checking for reviews on whether they are trustworthy and honest.

janed78
12/29/14

$#*! this company!! They have shady fees that they tell you that you signed up for when you activated the service which is complete crap! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! They charged my credit card for months after I continued calling and canceling their services and their customer service woman just kept lecturing me when I know I didn't sign up for 30 dollars worth of protection seeing how I cancelled my account days within activating it! This is a horrible shady company do not give them any more money or freedom to prey on others!

Tip for consumers: DO NOT DO IT!

bobt49
12/17/14

This website is a good site if you need to find a name of a person trying to call you or anything of that nature. What the site neglects to inform you is about their hidden charges. I was charged twice without my knowledge. I did get a refund for my charge but I recommend that anyone that does not like hidden charges to stay away. There excuse is " Its stated on the website" which is true but it would take you hours of digging to find said information. They also will not remove your information if you ask, you must also do a bunch of digging to find out how to do this. If this doesn't sound like something you like I suggest you stay away.

brets12
12/16/14

The site states it will provide full background check including criminal history from online databases with the option to hire a court runner for more thorough investigation. After paying $29.95 for the report, I did not get either. The reports lists incidents as "not specified" meaning it could be a speeding ticket or a felony with no information to determine the offense. Also when I tried to "hire a court runner" the state I wanted to search (NY) isn't even an option. So this report was completely useless, provides no information you can't find on your own and did not deliver what it promises. When confronted, they refused to issue even a partial refund. PeopleSmart is a complete scam. According to BBB they have 590 complaints in the past 3 yrs, that tells you something.

Tip for consumers: If you get burned like I did, be sure to file a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau. This company should not be allowed to keep ripping people off like this.

carlp17
12/15/14

This is a RIP OFF!!!! Don't do it. They advertise one small fee but the fine print allows them to charge $29.95 a month afterwards!!!!! Don't do it!!! BIG RIP OFF!!!!

Tip for consumers: States' Attorney Generals need to shut these people down NOW!!!!!! This is a SCAM!!!!!

sb104
12/10/14

don't do it. They charge extra for things that don't really provide any additional value and they unknowingly sign you up for a monthly fee. When I called to explain this was an error, and requested that my credit card be credited other than for the services provided, they would not do it. They would only credit from today's date forward. Bad service all together. I'm also in HR and have the opportunity to recommend others to stay away.

Tip for consumers: Don't!

dr622
12/8/14

Thank you everybody for the reviews. I was just getting ready to pay for a one-time search for $.95, then decided to look up reviews first. Boy, am I glad I did. You saved me from these SCAMMERS! Thanks again.

celinel3
11/18/14

I just used PeopleSmart despite the bad reviews and found it pleasant and got all the info I wanted. It was an ease to cancel.
All you complainers, I'm sorry to say, it's because
1. Don't read
2. Don't know your way around the internet very well.
3. If all else fails, you can always go to your paypal and cancel recurring subscription.

Five stars from me. Thanks PeopleSmart.

Tip for consumers: Read read Read
If at first you don't suceed, try and try again.
I"m surprise how people say that they didn't know it was a trial and has monthly billing - it's written right there!!!! Move slowly, read and don't be trigger happy and you will be pleasantly surprise.

rj54
11/13/14

Do NOT USE THIS PEOPLE SEARCH. They will charge you for items you don't need or want. Somewhere hidden in the site are words that indicate they will charge you on a monthly basis.

Tip for consumers: Don't use it. Other sites are better and don't have hidden charges.

nataliep14
11/12/14

Stay Away!!! I signed up for 750 credits for 69.95, not realizing they expired every month and then you are charged again. My fault but it should be clearer. Information I was able to receive was not worth it. Stick to the credit bureaus.

Tip for consumers: Don't sign up. You will continue to be charged.

melc20
11/7/14

I registered to this SCAMMING website to look up a name and a phone number. I only paid 0.95 for the phone number. I did not sign up for a membership or click on anything else. The information they provide is very misleading and false so I decided to cancel my free trial the same day I registered. 2 days later, I found out that they charged me 19.95 for something I never signed up for or even used, without notice or receipt. I logged in to the website and it said that I was an active member and my free trial was never cancelled!. I am so confused and frustrated!!. I looked for a cancellation link or a way to delete my account... I couldn't find a way out. They stole my money! and they are going to keep stealing my money every month. I tried to contact them, NO RESPONSE. They totally RIPPED ME OFF. These criminals are getting away with stealing people's money and nobody is doing anything about it to stop them.

Tip for consumers: MISLEADING SCAMMING WEBSITE. DO NOT LET THESE SCAMMERS TAKE YOUR MONEY!!

mikeh138
11/5/14

BEWARE !!!! Don't give them your credit card... 1) they do not have a mechanism in there account manager to allow you to disable the account or payments 2) When you call to disable the account and payments they have the audacity to try to upsell you something else. Unethical practices. Anyway the service was lousy it did not find anything. I would give it zero starts but want people to visually see a low rating.

Tip for consumers: Do not use this site!

ronaldt13
11/4/14

Pathetic rip off. I, as others, signed on for a one month, $19.95. Instead, peoplesmart.com kept hitting my PayPal account for another month. Trying to contact them is tiresome. They make it drudgery. Quite obviously, they run their business without pride and, basically steal from customers. A definite SCAM. Hopefully they will face some kind of justice for their criminal behavior. Stay away from these slime balls.

Tip for consumers: Stay Away!

tarunk1
10/31/14

First of all I just requested a report on my own to see if I have a traffic ticket information on it. It neither provides the right address am living in nor any other information useful. After that I am being charged 20$ every month for the past 5 months with out any receipts sent to me. Today when I was checking my credit card report i found this. When I called them they were saying that I opted for membership which i never did and I even dont have a payment receipt from them for the first report too. When I am on call with them they then sent me a receipt of the first payment. On a whole this seemed to be like a fraud with no accurate info and suggest everyone not to go these guys.

Tip for consumers: NEVER USE PEOPLESMART.COM

jewelsw
10/30/14

I signed up to use People smart because I needed to find out some info on a man my daughter is living with. Look, I put in my own name and it could not even identify when where I was born. Tried some other family names and it is pretty much hit or miss. NOT worth the money. Switchboard.com could do almost just as good. I found out almost zip about the guy. I put in his New York phone number and it said name unavailable! Not smart, not smart at all.

nickh71
10/21/14

An absolute scam. I purchased one contact for $.95 and thought I was finished. They continued to bill my account $20 a month for 7 months. They said I was told that if I don't cancel that I would be charged....cancel what? I bought a contact record, what did I have to cancel. I know the blame ultimately lies with me because I should have diligently read the terms and conditions, but who does that? I HATE companies that offer you a service with a "one-time fee" and sneak in a membership with a cancellation clause. They should check to see if you used the site at all during the time that they billed you and if not refund your money. This is the shadiest way to do business and speaks volumes to what they are all about! Do not, I repeat, Do not do business with these folks. There are better and more ethical search sites out there. These people are the lowest of the low.

ln12
10/21/14

If I could rate them zero, I would. Paid $7.95 for a death-certificate and got a couple of old addresses and ancient phone number. When I clicked on 'death certificate', they wanted me to upgrade for $29.99 !!!! YIKES, what a scam.

alexd50
10/20/14

I also got scammed. I did the trial and canceled on the same day but they continued to charge me $20 a month. I am still pretty mad about it. DO NOT GO HERE

terryl34
10/3/14

My wife run a one time ($.99) one time report where she works for a possible hire. She did not authorize any further charges. She used her credit card for the report.
Immediately they started charging her card twice a month $19.95. Once in the beginning and once in the end of the month. one for Peoplesmart and one for Freephone. This was done for sixteen months to the amount of $638.00. I did not catch this when checking her monthly checking statement because I thought it was just her buying things and the charges showed up as "Bill Pay withdrawal". I only became aware of this, in my opinion, fraud when they showed up four months ago as "phonetrcer.com and phone freephone tracer.com".
If you want to avoid have something similar possibly happening to you, I would suggest not doing business with this organization.

vickib11
9/30/14

I paid, got a report and there was nothing correct on it. I am trying to get a refund with little results. The report had no real information in it that was usable, and even had the incorrect age by 20 years! Waste of money- and the 'customer service' in non-existent!! Don't waste your money.

normb2
9/22/14

I guess I should ave read these reviews before signing up. The info (phone #s, addresses, etc ) was in no way accurate. After going to the Chicago area to look up my cousin's relatives shown on the site, the phone #s were bad (by at least 4 years), 3 addresses were bad (by from 3 to 8 years). 2 pieces of info were correct out of 14. Not worth the trouble or expense.

shahidn
9/9/14

They attract you with low cost one time search, make you sign an agreement that you later realize for some kind of automatic renewal. I didn't even know I was paying $39 for it for two years until finally they sent me an autorenewal notice in the 3rd year.

edc21
9/8/14

I used this and the site worked as advertised. Canceling is another matter. If you do not see a cancellation email immediately continue to call until you do. They WILL NOT REFUND ANYTHING.

johnc249
8/22/14

-100 stars. These people need to be fined, if not serve prison time. That will be the only revenge all of use fill about this very sad indivuals. All of us need to call the BBB and we need to all come together and take them to court! I am very pissed how they have been able to get away with this. I hope they read this. They wlll not last much longer. Where is your better judgemnt hiding peopledumb. STOP this ripoff of so many good people... I hope they read these reveiws, so perhaps they will know what loosers they are. People like this have no guilty conscience... So very sad.. Where the hell is Sitejabber??????? Help us.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE. Get off this site NOW, before you become another victim...

jeremiahd10
8/22/14

Non-FCRA companies like this one are fake. You're not only paying for less info than what's available on a Google search, but you're paying for WRONG info. These assclowns and all their scumbag buddies have me listed as a 66yo pedo in California and my sister listed as a MAN. I've reported them to the Federal Trade Commission. Anyone who cares about mother$#*!ers losing jobs because of these $#*!ups will too. Here's the link: http://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc

Tip for consumers: REPORT THEM TO THE FEDS!!!!!

glennr20
8/3/14

I ordered a report from this company and for whatever reason got the wrong person's report. I contacted the company and they immediately gave me credit to get the right report. The right report was very helpful, allowed me to locate an old friend who was delighted to hear from me. I then read the reviews on this site and panicked, thinking I was going to get charged a monthly fee for a free trial. I e-mailed them my concerns and within hours got an e-mail back assuring me that I had indeed NOT signed up for a free trial. As of August 2014 I found this company to be very helpful and courteous and wonder why they have gotten so many negative reviews.

Glenn

laurens107
7/27/14

Do not use this company. I used the service while adopting my baby to look into some of the numbers of birthmothers who contacted us after a few scams. The information was never accurate, complete or correct. They continued to bill me for yearly membership with no warning and refused to refund any of the charges when I called to complain.

ck44
7/6/14

You have to be really careful when dealing with this website. They sneak in charges for items you did not order and do not want. For example, I wanted a 7-day free trial. They write in their "Terms and Conditions" that they will not charge your credit card until after 7 days. However, my PayPal account was charged $19.95. First, I assumed this was the first month fee and that the charge would be reversed. So, I contacted them. But then it turned out that this was for a "Backgground Report". I had to put up quite a fight with them to get the charge reversed. The funny thing is that I never ordered a background report, and never received a background report. They were just sneaking the charge in with the free trial, so that I wouldn't notice.
It seems they do similar sleezy tricks all over, according to the other reviews I've seen here, and also the complaints on their BBB listing - that the BBB still assigns them an A+ is nuts but in the end, Peoplesmart always seems to comply and refund overcharged fees and that makes the BBB happy.
However, in my point of view Peoplesmart.com has unethical business practices, and even if they might help some people to find a person, I will not work with them again, based on their bad business behavior.

toddr15
7/3/14

A sleezy operation, but not unique in that regard. There are many businesses that engage in this kind of automatic billing not specifically authorized by the customer. They know exactly what they are doing. They are hoping that users, who probably need them for one search, will sign up for a trial, unaware that they will be billed in perpetuity until the service is cancelled. Thus, by default, they will gain monthly charges from your credit card.

No one should ever deal with this sleazy company. I am going to have them investigated by the Nebraska Attorney General. I hope he puts them out of business.

sharonk24
6/23/14

debit my account to check one name.info was not right..didnt give criminal info.got my bank account an they had 4 charges that added up to 70.00. said no hidden cost as others sites do..what a rip off..info u get is not even right.

roberyd
6/22/14

Total scam. I paid 95 cents for a reverse phone number listing (which by itself was a rip-off) and found they will billing me 20 bucks a month for a service I neither wanted, signed up for, nor used. The 95 cents was a con, the 20 bucks a month a total scam.
Run, run, run from these people and don't be fooled by their sophisticated website. This is the kind of company that writes off those that complain to the credit card companies and makes its money from those that don't. Half the people won't fight it and they won't battle with MasterCard over 50 or 60 dollars.

Call your credit card company and tell them, even if they won't help they will put them on a watchlist and will block them if they get enough complaints.

By the way, they list BBB on their website, but the BBB has no record of them!

merriew
6/11/14

I feel their advertisement is misleading. I wanted criminal records and had to use all credits they gave me for one persons records! The advertisement says it's included so when I tried to get another persons records they wanted me to pay. Not at all what I thought, nor what they claim to offer. I've been taken..........won't recommend this company to anyone.

francesh26
6/10/14

I have been satisfied with what I wanted out of Peoplesmart, but I wasn't looking for a lot of detailed information. I paid $20 for an unlimited query month and feel like I have gotten what I paid for. A lot of sites charge that for one query although you might get more information, you just need to determine what you are looking for first and plan accordingly.

davidd94
5/25/14

TOTAL SCAM!!!!
Deceptive practices - incomplete background checks - rude.
Do NOT do business with them.

jilll4
5/8/14

This website and company is very tricky! BEWARE!!! My husband went onto this website to do a background search on a contractor that had been performing work for him. Although, he was able to find out some information on the contractor, (hence the one star) he thought he was paying for a one time search. However, there has been a monthly recurring charge to our account. My husband did not sign up for the one month free trial, or any kind of membership. He exclusively did a "People Search", and paid for that one time exclusive service. I tried to call the company. There is a recording stating you have to wait so many minutes to talk to a representative, then after that time is up (about 20 minutes later) there is another recording stating you have to leave a message and a representative will call you back, but then the line disconnects before you can leave any message. I went through this process twice. While I was doing this I was on the website and having the hardest time trying to figure out how to cancel the service. Like I said, they are very tricky! They don't want you to cancel. They trick you into making a purchase, you are unaware you are getting sucked into a membership, and they make it extremely difficult to cancel. Forget about using this website, go somewhere else!

nicolah6
5/3/14

This site was barely adequate. The usual bs of sucking is in with promises of information and then asking you for more money when they had only provided us with the information we had already found free, via google. Appalling customer service when we called to complain that they had charged us 3 months in a row, without the 50% discount they had promised for the first month. I will never use these again and strongly recommend that you stay away from them. They will rip you off and then try and charge you even more money for the information you really need.

karianner
4/9/14

I love this website it helped me find my dad 23yrs later.. I found an email of his, I emailed him and the next day he emailed me and we starting talking. Now my sister and I are going to see him in four days.. Thank you people smart for helping me

l-ak
4/7/14

SCAMMERS!! I entered my info when applying for a pt job, filled out everything..hit the "next" button...looped to the beginning again..all my info was gone, repeated the steps, same thing happened, contacted them, concerned w my personal info I entered, now missing..their reply..? Try a different browser. NO. I want an answer to where my personal info went. No reply. I have contacted all credit bureaus to let them know if my credit is compromised, its from peoplesmart or Milestone Management whom I applied with.

isaacw13
3/31/14

I would give 0 (zero!) stars if SiteJabber let me. PeopleSmart scams you by charging a reasonable fee for one look-up and a 7 day "free trial" but they don't tell you about the $19.95 monthly charge in the fine print if you're not lucky enough to get them to acknowledge a cancellation during the 7 day "free trial." I tried to cancel my account during the 7-day free trial, actually suspecting they might try to charge me afterwards (even though I received no notice about the monthly charge), but they didn't honor my cancellation and proceeded to charge me for 3 consecutive months on my PayPal account before I noticed it. I did call to complain, and they reversed two charges -- saying they could only go back 60 days. Anyone who has been scammed should call them up and demand a refund. It's shameless. Even when you try to cancel during the "free trial," they don't let you. Shameless!

disgruntedu
3/23/14

These scammers hide a notice that "you will be billed $19.95 a month to keep your service going" (something to that effect). I only found out about this when the charges hit my paypal account the second time (I disputed them with paypal - hopefully they'll reverse them). Finding and cancelling the auto-renewal is about as difficult as curing cancer... it takes a whole lot of digging and clicking through multiple levels of menu to get there. Avoid this service like the plague.

tammyk6
2/18/14

TOTAL SCAM!!! Paid .95 to find an address. Found all PREVIOUS addresses from years gone by but not the CURRENT address. Cancelled my trial membership immediately but when my credit card bill came there was a 39.95 charge from them. I called and talked to a WORTHLESS customer service rep who flatly refused to give me a refund and kept telling me that I did not cancel my membership.So I told the rep to cancel my membership RIGHT THIS INSTANT! He said my membership was cancelled. That was last year...this month there was a 39.95 charge on the same credit card. So i CALLED AGAIN. This time they argued with me saying that I had not cancelled my membership and that I was made fully aware that there would be a re-occurring charge to my card. I told them we would see about that and hung up on the Ahole, called my card company and disputed the charge. They told me they had alot of complaints about this company. STAY VERY FAR AWAY!!!