US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

courtneyw10

It also informs you that if you do not cancel within the 7 days they will charge you. (in 4 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

bobt49
12/17/14

This website is a good site if you need to find a name of a person trying to call you or anything of that nature. What the site neglects to inform you is about their hidden charges. I was charged twice without my knowledge. I did get a refund for my charge but I recommend that anyone that does not like hidden charges to stay away. There excuse is " Its stated on the website" which is true but it would take you hours of digging to find said information. They also will not remove your information if you ask, you must also do a bunch of digging to find out how to do this. If this doesn't sound like something you like I suggest you stay away.

brets12
12/16/14

The site states it will provide full background check including criminal history from online databases with the option to hire a court runner for more thorough investigation. After paying $29.95 for the report, I did not get either. The reports lists incidents as "not specified" meaning it could be a speeding ticket or a felony with no information to determine the offense. Also when I tried to "hire a court runner" the state I wanted to search (NY) isn't even an option. So this report was completely useless, provides no information you can't find on your own and did not deliver what it promises. When confronted, they refused to issue even a partial refund. PeopleSmart is a complete scam. According to BBB they have 590 complaints in the past 3 yrs, that tells you something.

Tip for consumers: If you get burned like I did, be sure to file a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau. This company should not be allowed to keep ripping people off like this.

carlp17
12/15/14

This is a RIP OFF!!!! Don't do it. They advertise one small fee but the fine print allows them to charge $29.95 a month afterwards!!!!! Don't do it!!! BIG RIP OFF!!!!

Tip for consumers: States' Attorney Generals need to shut these people down NOW!!!!!! This is a SCAM!!!!!

sb104
12/10/14

don't do it. They charge extra for things that don't really provide any additional value and they unknowingly sign you up for a monthly fee. When I called to explain this was an error, and requested that my credit card be credited other than for the services provided, they would not do it. They would only credit from today's date forward. Bad service all together. I'm also in HR and have the opportunity to recommend others to stay away.

Tip for consumers: Don't!

dr622
12/8/14

Thank you everybody for the reviews. I was just getting ready to pay for a one-time search for $.95, then decided to look up reviews first. Boy, am I glad I did. You saved me from these SCAMMERS! Thanks again.

celinel3
11/18/14

I just used PeopleSmart despite the bad reviews and found it pleasant and got all the info I wanted. It was an ease to cancel.
All you complainers, I'm sorry to say, it's because
1. Don't read
2. Don't know your way around the internet very well.
3. If all else fails, you can always go to your paypal and cancel recurring subscription.

Five stars from me. Thanks PeopleSmart.

Tip for consumers: Read read Read
If at first you don't suceed, try and try again.
I"m surprise how people say that they didn't know it was a trial and has monthly billing - it's written right there!!!! Move slowly, read and don't be trigger happy and you will be pleasantly surprise.

rj54
11/13/14

Do NOT USE THIS PEOPLE SEARCH. They will charge you for items you don't need or want. Somewhere hidden in the site are words that indicate they will charge you on a monthly basis.

Tip for consumers: Don't use it. Other sites are better and don't have hidden charges.

nataliep14
11/12/14

Stay Away!!! I signed up for 750 credits for 69.95, not realizing they expired every month and then you are charged again. My fault but it should be clearer. Information I was able to receive was not worth it. Stick to the credit bureaus.

Tip for consumers: Don't sign up. You will continue to be charged.

melc20
11/7/14

I registered to this SCAMMING website to look up a name and a phone number. I only paid 0.95 for the phone number. I did not sign up for a membership or click on anything else. The information they provide is very misleading and false so I decided to cancel my free trial the same day I registered. 2 days later, I found out that they charged me 19.95 for something I never signed up for or even used, without notice or receipt. I logged in to the website and it said that I was an active member and my free trial was never cancelled!. I am so confused and frustrated!!. I looked for a cancellation link or a way to delete my account... I couldn't find a way out. They stole my money! and they are going to keep stealing my money every month. I tried to contact them, NO RESPONSE. They totally RIPPED ME OFF. These criminals are getting away with stealing people's money and nobody is doing anything about it to stop them.

Tip for consumers: MISLEADING SCAMMING WEBSITE. DO NOT LET THESE SCAMMERS TAKE YOUR MONEY!!

mikeh138
11/5/14

BEWARE !!!! Don't give them your credit card... 1) they do not have a mechanism in there account manager to allow you to disable the account or payments 2) When you call to disable the account and payments they have the audacity to try to upsell you something else. Unethical practices. Anyway the service was lousy it did not find anything. I would give it zero starts but want people to visually see a low rating.

Tip for consumers: Do not use this site!

ronaldt13
11/4/14

Pathetic rip off. I, as others, signed on for a one month, $19.95. Instead, peoplesmart.com kept hitting my PayPal account for another month. Trying to contact them is tiresome. They make it drudgery. Quite obviously, they run their business without pride and, basically steal from customers. A definite SCAM. Hopefully they will face some kind of justice for their criminal behavior. Stay away from these slime balls.

Tip for consumers: Stay Away!

tarunk1
10/31/14

First of all I just requested a report on my own to see if I have a traffic ticket information on it. It neither provides the right address am living in nor any other information useful. After that I am being charged 20$ every month for the past 5 months with out any receipts sent to me. Today when I was checking my credit card report i found this. When I called them they were saying that I opted for membership which i never did and I even dont have a payment receipt from them for the first report too. When I am on call with them they then sent me a receipt of the first payment. On a whole this seemed to be like a fraud with no accurate info and suggest everyone not to go these guys.

Tip for consumers: NEVER USE PEOPLESMART.COM

jewelsw
10/30/14

I signed up to use People smart because I needed to find out some info on a man my daughter is living with. Look, I put in my own name and it could not even identify when where I was born. Tried some other family names and it is pretty much hit or miss. NOT worth the money. Switchboard.com could do almost just as good. I found out almost zip about the guy. I put in his New York phone number and it said name unavailable! Not smart, not smart at all.

nickh71
10/21/14

An absolute scam. I purchased one contact for $.95 and thought I was finished. They continued to bill my account $20 a month for 7 months. They said I was told that if I don't cancel that I would be charged....cancel what? I bought a contact record, what did I have to cancel. I know the blame ultimately lies with me because I should have diligently read the terms and conditions, but who does that? I HATE companies that offer you a service with a "one-time fee" and sneak in a membership with a cancellation clause. They should check to see if you used the site at all during the time that they billed you and if not refund your money. This is the shadiest way to do business and speaks volumes to what they are all about! Do not, I repeat, Do not do business with these folks. There are better and more ethical search sites out there. These people are the lowest of the low.

ln12
10/21/14

If I could rate them zero, I would. Paid $7.95 for a death-certificate and got a couple of old addresses and ancient phone number. When I clicked on 'death certificate', they wanted me to upgrade for $29.99 !!!! YIKES, what a scam.

alexd50
10/20/14

I also got scammed. I did the trial and canceled on the same day but they continued to charge me $20 a month. I am still pretty mad about it. DO NOT GO HERE

terryl34
10/3/14

My wife run a one time ($.99) one time report where she works for a possible hire. She did not authorize any further charges. She used her credit card for the report.
Immediately they started charging her card twice a month $19.95. Once in the beginning and once in the end of the month. one for Peoplesmart and one for Freephone. This was done for sixteen months to the amount of $638.00. I did not catch this when checking her monthly checking statement because I thought it was just her buying things and the charges showed up as "Bill Pay withdrawal". I only became aware of this, in my opinion, fraud when they showed up four months ago as "phonetrcer.com and phone freephone tracer.com".
If you want to avoid have something similar possibly happening to you, I would suggest not doing business with this organization.

vickib11
9/30/14

I paid, got a report and there was nothing correct on it. I am trying to get a refund with little results. The report had no real information in it that was usable, and even had the incorrect age by 20 years! Waste of money- and the 'customer service' in non-existent!! Don't waste your money.

normb2
9/22/14

I guess I should ave read these reviews before signing up. The info (phone #s, addresses, etc ) was in no way accurate. After going to the Chicago area to look up my cousin's relatives shown on the site, the phone #s were bad (by at least 4 years), 3 addresses were bad (by from 3 to 8 years). 2 pieces of info were correct out of 14. Not worth the trouble or expense.

shahidn
9/9/14

They attract you with low cost one time search, make you sign an agreement that you later realize for some kind of automatic renewal. I didn't even know I was paying $39 for it for two years until finally they sent me an autorenewal notice in the 3rd year.

edc21
9/8/14

I used this and the site worked as advertised. Canceling is another matter. If you do not see a cancellation email immediately continue to call until you do. They WILL NOT REFUND ANYTHING.

johnc249
8/22/14

-100 stars. These people need to be fined, if not serve prison time. That will be the only revenge all of use fill about this very sad indivuals. All of us need to call the BBB and we need to all come together and take them to court! I am very pissed how they have been able to get away with this. I hope they read this. They wlll not last much longer. Where is your better judgemnt hiding peopledumb. STOP this ripoff of so many good people... I hope they read these reveiws, so perhaps they will know what loosers they are. People like this have no guilty conscience... So very sad.. Where the hell is Sitejabber??????? Help us.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE. Get off this site NOW, before you become another victim...

jeremiahd10
8/22/14

Non-FCRA companies like this one are fake. You're not only paying for less info than what's available on a Google search, but you're paying for WRONG info. These assclowns and all their scumbag buddies have me listed as a 66yo pedo in California and my sister listed as a MAN. I've reported them to the Federal Trade Commission. Anyone who cares about mother$#*!ers losing jobs because of these $#*!ups will too. Here's the link: http://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc

Tip for consumers: REPORT THEM TO THE FEDS!!!!!

glennr20
8/3/14

I ordered a report from this company and for whatever reason got the wrong person's report. I contacted the company and they immediately gave me credit to get the right report. The right report was very helpful, allowed me to locate an old friend who was delighted to hear from me. I then read the reviews on this site and panicked, thinking I was going to get charged a monthly fee for a free trial. I e-mailed them my concerns and within hours got an e-mail back assuring me that I had indeed NOT signed up for a free trial. As of August 2014 I found this company to be very helpful and courteous and wonder why they have gotten so many negative reviews.

Glenn

laurens107
7/27/14

Do not use this company. I used the service while adopting my baby to look into some of the numbers of birthmothers who contacted us after a few scams. The information was never accurate, complete or correct. They continued to bill me for yearly membership with no warning and refused to refund any of the charges when I called to complain.

ck44
7/6/14

You have to be really careful when dealing with this website. They sneak in charges for items you did not order and do not want. For example, I wanted a 7-day free trial. They write in their "Terms and Conditions" that they will not charge your credit card until after 7 days. However, my PayPal account was charged $19.95. First, I assumed this was the first month fee and that the charge would be reversed. So, I contacted them. But then it turned out that this was for a "Backgground Report". I had to put up quite a fight with them to get the charge reversed. The funny thing is that I never ordered a background report, and never received a background report. They were just sneaking the charge in with the free trial, so that I wouldn't notice.
It seems they do similar sleezy tricks all over, according to the other reviews I've seen here, and also the complaints on their BBB listing - that the BBB still assigns them an A+ is nuts but in the end, Peoplesmart always seems to comply and refund overcharged fees and that makes the BBB happy.
However, in my point of view Peoplesmart.com has unethical business practices, and even if they might help some people to find a person, I will not work with them again, based on their bad business behavior.

toddr15
7/3/14

A sleezy operation, but not unique in that regard. There are many businesses that engage in this kind of automatic billing not specifically authorized by the customer. They know exactly what they are doing. They are hoping that users, who probably need them for one search, will sign up for a trial, unaware that they will be billed in perpetuity until the service is cancelled. Thus, by default, they will gain monthly charges from your credit card.

No one should ever deal with this sleazy company. I am going to have them investigated by the Nebraska Attorney General. I hope he puts them out of business.

sharonk24
6/23/14

debit my account to check one name.info was not right..didnt give criminal info.got my bank account an they had 4 charges that added up to 70.00. said no hidden cost as others sites do..what a rip off..info u get is not even right.

roberyd
6/22/14

Total scam. I paid 95 cents for a reverse phone number listing (which by itself was a rip-off) and found they will billing me 20 bucks a month for a service I neither wanted, signed up for, nor used. The 95 cents was a con, the 20 bucks a month a total scam.
Run, run, run from these people and don't be fooled by their sophisticated website. This is the kind of company that writes off those that complain to the credit card companies and makes its money from those that don't. Half the people won't fight it and they won't battle with MasterCard over 50 or 60 dollars.

Call your credit card company and tell them, even if they won't help they will put them on a watchlist and will block them if they get enough complaints.

By the way, they list BBB on their website, but the BBB has no record of them!

merriew
6/11/14

I feel their advertisement is misleading. I wanted criminal records and had to use all credits they gave me for one persons records! The advertisement says it's included so when I tried to get another persons records they wanted me to pay. Not at all what I thought, nor what they claim to offer. I've been taken..........won't recommend this company to anyone.

francesh26
6/10/14

I have been satisfied with what I wanted out of Peoplesmart, but I wasn't looking for a lot of detailed information. I paid $20 for an unlimited query month and feel like I have gotten what I paid for. A lot of sites charge that for one query although you might get more information, you just need to determine what you are looking for first and plan accordingly.

davidd94
5/25/14

TOTAL SCAM!!!!
Deceptive practices - incomplete background checks - rude.
Do NOT do business with them.

jilll4
5/8/14

This website and company is very tricky! BEWARE!!! My husband went onto this website to do a background search on a contractor that had been performing work for him. Although, he was able to find out some information on the contractor, (hence the one star) he thought he was paying for a one time search. However, there has been a monthly recurring charge to our account. My husband did not sign up for the one month free trial, or any kind of membership. He exclusively did a "People Search", and paid for that one time exclusive service. I tried to call the company. There is a recording stating you have to wait so many minutes to talk to a representative, then after that time is up (about 20 minutes later) there is another recording stating you have to leave a message and a representative will call you back, but then the line disconnects before you can leave any message. I went through this process twice. While I was doing this I was on the website and having the hardest time trying to figure out how to cancel the service. Like I said, they are very tricky! They don't want you to cancel. They trick you into making a purchase, you are unaware you are getting sucked into a membership, and they make it extremely difficult to cancel. Forget about using this website, go somewhere else!

nicolah6
5/3/14

This site was barely adequate. The usual bs of sucking is in with promises of information and then asking you for more money when they had only provided us with the information we had already found free, via google. Appalling customer service when we called to complain that they had charged us 3 months in a row, without the 50% discount they had promised for the first month. I will never use these again and strongly recommend that you stay away from them. They will rip you off and then try and charge you even more money for the information you really need.

karianner
4/9/14

I love this website it helped me find my dad 23yrs later.. I found an email of his, I emailed him and the next day he emailed me and we starting talking. Now my sister and I are going to see him in four days.. Thank you people smart for helping me

l-ak
4/7/14

SCAMMERS!! I entered my info when applying for a pt job, filled out everything..hit the "next" button...looped to the beginning again..all my info was gone, repeated the steps, same thing happened, contacted them, concerned w my personal info I entered, now missing..their reply..? Try a different browser. NO. I want an answer to where my personal info went. No reply. I have contacted all credit bureaus to let them know if my credit is compromised, its from peoplesmart or Milestone Management whom I applied with.

isaacw13
3/31/14

I would give 0 (zero!) stars if SiteJabber let me. PeopleSmart scams you by charging a reasonable fee for one look-up and a 7 day "free trial" but they don't tell you about the $19.95 monthly charge in the fine print if you're not lucky enough to get them to acknowledge a cancellation during the 7 day "free trial." I tried to cancel my account during the 7-day free trial, actually suspecting they might try to charge me afterwards (even though I received no notice about the monthly charge), but they didn't honor my cancellation and proceeded to charge me for 3 consecutive months on my PayPal account before I noticed it. I did call to complain, and they reversed two charges -- saying they could only go back 60 days. Anyone who has been scammed should call them up and demand a refund. It's shameless. Even when you try to cancel during the "free trial," they don't let you. Shameless!

disgruntedu
3/23/14

These scammers hide a notice that "you will be billed $19.95 a month to keep your service going" (something to that effect). I only found out about this when the charges hit my paypal account the second time (I disputed them with paypal - hopefully they'll reverse them). Finding and cancelling the auto-renewal is about as difficult as curing cancer... it takes a whole lot of digging and clicking through multiple levels of menu to get there. Avoid this service like the plague.

tammyk6
2/18/14

TOTAL SCAM!!! Paid .95 to find an address. Found all PREVIOUS addresses from years gone by but not the CURRENT address. Cancelled my trial membership immediately but when my credit card bill came there was a 39.95 charge from them. I called and talked to a WORTHLESS customer service rep who flatly refused to give me a refund and kept telling me that I did not cancel my membership.So I told the rep to cancel my membership RIGHT THIS INSTANT! He said my membership was cancelled. That was last year...this month there was a 39.95 charge on the same credit card. So i CALLED AGAIN. This time they argued with me saying that I had not cancelled my membership and that I was made fully aware that there would be a re-occurring charge to my card. I told them we would see about that and hung up on the Ahole, called my card company and disputed the charge. They told me they had alot of complaints about this company. STAY VERY FAR AWAY!!!

raekit
2/15/14

This site is a complete scam. I should have read the reviews first before paying $7.95 for a bogus report that didn't even have my name on it. I was given divorce records of over 4000 people; none of which were the requested one that they claimed to have. This must be illegal. Stay away from these crooks!!

jenniferw39
2/13/14

Total scam company. I paid $.95 for a one-time telephone number lookup and the search didn't even give me a name or any other useful information. They must have hidden a "membership clause" in their terms and agreements online, because I was charged $19.95 a week later. This company is deceptive and they are survive by scamming people $19.95 for the hidden monthly "membership." They should be sued and put out of business!!!!!!

freda25
2/11/14

Do not use PEOPLESMART.com. Their site and services were limited. And their .95 intro was useless. I was then charged 19.95 after 7 days without a refund. To add insult to injury, the service representative hung up on me. NOT really "People Smart are they? No one should be subjected to their poor business service practices.

maryl84
1/30/14

you dont even deserve a one star. You are a ripoff!!!!!! I am repoting to the bbb and the police to have you charged with fraud and scamming.

raeb6
1/30/14

Wouldn't give them a star if that was an option. Paid the "one-time" fee of .49 cents. I removed my card information quickly afterwords, but somehow still was charged 19.95. Called and spoke to the customer service rep who was very rude and kept telling me I was wrong. Even though I removed my card information they could still charge me. They only gave me a partial credit! Scam at its finest and not to mention rip off! Stay far away

janed51
1/24/14

would never use this again i had a choice of one time lookup for .95. I got billed for .95 cents plus another $19.95 for a monthly subscription that i did not want, It was to find out about one number one time only. I would strongly recommend not using people smart!!!!!!!

ninai
1/19/14

I canceled my membership in couple days and even received a confirmation just noticed now on my bank account that they have been charging me for months 19.95.

SCAMMERS !!! STAY AWAY FROM THEM !!!

I need to call bank tomorrow to stop their payments

lilac1
1/16/14

Signed up for a service through them that was $19.95. I got an offer shortly after to get a "pro" service for $29.95. I assumed that I was just switching from the regular to pro plan... NO- they charged me for MONTHS for BOTH fees!!! Just got off the phone with their horrible customer service rep who could do NOTHING!!! Save yourself the trouble and don't even sign up!!!

michaela80
1/2/14

Within a day of PeopleSmart's "trial period" service, I cancelled my subscription due to the information they provided not being correct. I was later charged the $19.95 fee. I spoke with Paypal and Chase Bank; they stated they get may complaints about PeopleSmart charging customers after their trial period even though the customer timely cancelled their membership. I called customer service and found the agents to be rude and caustic. My bank was able to get the charge reversed due to PeopleSmart's common practice of bilking its customers. Caveat emptor.

anneg10
12/27/13

I pd the .95 to get an address of an old neighbour of my dads to inform her of his death. A year later I swathe $39.95 charge on my cc. They did refund the charge but I was not happy that they just automatically charge your card yearly without any notice, especially when you don't give them any authorization to do so. I guess paying for one address search they feel that gives them authorization. People be aware of this scam.

gaylem4
12/14/13

Looking for a nephew we'd lost contact with. Found his name in their system, paid the .95 to get his address and phone (none of which were him!) and was surprised to see a 19.95 charge on my credit card along with the .95 charge. The girl issues a partial credit today, saying it VERY CLEARLY says on the website that the .95 was good for 7 days only and then I had agreed to the monthly payment. BOGUS! If I had a trial membership, why was it asking for an additional fee for other information on my nephew (probably inaccurate as well!). REPORT THIS COMPANY AND ITS SHADY PRACTICES. don't give them a cent of your hard earned money or they will try to take it all.