US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

courtneyw10

It also informs you that if you do not cancel within the 7 days they will charge you. (in 4 reviews)

elizabethm56

correct address but wrong phone number, many years since she had that number (in 12 reviews)

francesh26

I have been satisfied with what I wanted out of Peoplesmart, but I wasn't looking for a lot of detailed information. (in 20 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

williamm132
5/14/15

Peoplesmart; There name proclaims them to a T" They rob thousands of people on a daily basis with there agenda. What a worthless, deceitful company.

roberts245
5/13/15

OK, I wasn't really expecting much. I figured though that it was worth risking $0.95 for a trial account to get my own public records needed for a financial transaction. After 60 seconds or so of the service supposedly doing the hard work of scouring billions of public records***, I was given a report that listed my previous addresses and the names of close relatives. Obtaining truly useful information would have required upgrading to the more expensive $49.95/month plan. Promptly cancelled so that I wouldn't be charged $19.95/month going forward for the basic service.

*** For anyone familiar with Linux, my guess is that the site was executing "sleep 60" to make it look like it was busy.

Tip for consumers: Avoid like the plague!

shiannej
5/7/15

I signed up with people smart in 2013, for the 20$ a month, hoping to find my mother. I called and cancelled the account one month later. The kept billing me random charges, I called several times to cancelle. I eventually had to get a new credit card. Don't do it!!! Just one big scam.

russellh19
5/4/15

People smart is terrible at doing a search. They don't provide you any information at all. I think this site is not legitimate. Very disappointed and thinking of reporting them to Georgia office of consumer affairs.

debrav2
4/13/15

I just opened an account. After they got my money, I didn't get my report. I tried logging in on a different window with the email address and password I had just set up. It said they didn't match. I tried it again, and then went to the "forgot my password prompt." The site wanted my email address again, but I didn't receive a resent link or an acknowledgement of having set up the account and paid in my email. I can't log in now, can't get my report, and they have my money. After I came into this site review, I saw they grossly exaggerated their star rating. They need a create zero rating for organizations like this one. This site is more of an outright scam than it is poor business.

brianm118
4/8/15

PeopleSmart lookups help keep customer addresses up-to-date for small business.

brentp14
3/25/15

Don't be stupid like me and give them a credit card number.

Tip for consumers: Run away!

nataliej7
3/23/15

I originally signed up for the $19.95 a month version but then shortly afterwards, I clicked to upgrade to the Pro Membership for $29.95 a month. Today I logged in and looked at my order history and realized they had been charging me both membership prices for ten months. I called customer service and the gentleman on the phone brought up my account and agreed they had made a mistake, but said since so much time had passed before I noticed the double charge, they were "unable" to issue me a refund or even a credit. I pointed out to him that they were not "unable" they were just "unwilling" and in essence they were just pocketing my money and saying "tough." He just kept repeating that they were unable to do anything. I asked to speak to a supervisor and he told me she was unavailable. I asked to speak to someone with more authority and he said there was no one to transfer me to.

I was going through a divorce those ten months and didn't have access to the credit card bills, my ex just told me how much I owed him for everything on my card. I had no idea I was being double-charged until today. For this company to admit they made a mistake, admit that it was THEIR error, but then say since I didn't catch it in time, they got to keep my money, is just outrageous and unethical. Shame on you, Peoplesmart.

aliciab16
3/14/15

I ordered a one time background check for $30. The only thing it listed was neighbors, addresses, and relatives. It originally said that there were court records to show, but it found nothing. I then did a search on myself and other people I know and noticed that most of the records given are outdated. So the address listed for the report as ordered is most likely out of date, as well.

sharonc40
3/13/15

I signed up for 24 hours in hopes of locating a friend I had lost contact with. All the info provided was very out dated and none of the phone numbers were any good

Tip for consumers: Info is way out dated

royan1
3/11/15

I subscribed for a background check, but the result was they cannot do the search if i'm outside USA or Canada, so I cancelled right away (considering the 7day freet trial), but they have been charging me for the last 5 month and not being aware these unauthorized charges, I have been penalized US60 per month for none payment. over US$400 for nothing!!!!!
the only way to stop these type of fraudulent companies is when credit card companies do not accept their charges, let's hope so.

they are crooks, big Zero, it's just a shameless ripe off & credit companies are helping them by accepting the charges

sassyb
3/3/15

I found two suspicious charges on my Master Charge in Jan. The name of the company is PeopleSmart, a company I had never heard of let alone signed up for. The initial charge was for $1.00, I guess that's what they do to see if the credit card can be billed, then later that same day another charge showed up for $19.95. I contacted them immediately to cancel the service and to discover how they got my name and credit card information. At first they only replied telling me that they needed further information then asked for the information I sent them in the initial email. So I sent them the info "they" asked for and then I heard nothing back. I've emailed them 4 times and I've never heard anything back. Then this evening I noticed another set of charges on my VISA credit card for PeopleSmart! I notified them again with all the pertinent information they'd asked for last time and again I got the email stating what information they needed. While using copy and paste to give them the same information I had originally given them another charge showed up on my VISA from PeopleVerified. So not sly, I don't know why they thought they'd get away with a simple name change. So I've sent them email, again, with all the information and I suspect I'll get the same email asking for the same information I've sent them over and over again. My advice, never ever EVER use this service, make sure you protect your credit card information and check your charge card statements weekly! I know I'm about to have a fight on my hands, but I'm starting with cancelling my credit cards.

Tip for consumers: The best way to find out if you've ever been to their site is go and try to login using any of your various logins you've used. If you can't get in, chances are you've never tried to use their services. Just be careful, there are TONS of people that want nothing more than to rip you off.

lorris
3/2/15

People Smart charged me $29.95 for a one time report! When I opened it there was zero results under every tab.

They didn't even have as much info as I found by myself on the internet! They didn't have ANYTHING in there!

They charged me $30 for absolutely nothing!

Use Google or Bing. You will get more information and it is free.

rhondap6
3/1/15

As others are stating, I have cancelled TWICE and not only are they still billing my card, I am not even being given the credits I don't want. Cancelled my card
as a last resort, what a con!

berniem22
2/24/15

I cancelled this in Dec .I didn't look at my credit card statement .I was looking for something today and found it was still charging .I called the person said I was not telling the truth about cancelling He said there is a times tamp wn\hen someone calls and there program never fails.Apparently they have the only system that is fool proof .You think they would get out of the present business and sell perfect software .I wish you could minus rate .

Tip for consumers: Do not hang up until you get an email.

dang46
2/19/15

I didn't find the service particularly helpful. I joined to try and get back in touch with an old military friend and couldn't find any info on him. I can forgive that as I'm sure it's difficult to find every single person you look for but every other phone number I tried to look for came up with nothing also. On top of that I kept getting messages that if I just subscribe to one more service I will find my results, and then one more service, and when that didn't work either, yet another service to pay more and subscribe to that will all but guarantee results.... i finally said enough is enough and went to cancel. Followed THEIR online instructions to cancel and what do you know, the opt out option they claimed was available online was not anywhere to be found. I then called the number they provided and after explaining that I had absolutely no use for their service and would like to cancel, received a sales pitch. Again, I can forgive one sales pitch because, hey, we all have a job to do... but the guy kept going. He had an amazing deal for me! He could offer me full membership to every service for just $4.95USD/Month (my original YEARLY plan was only $23.99). While I do not claim to be a genius by any measure, i can do simple math. Rounding the $4.95 to $5 and multiply by 12 and my amazing deal is only $60 per year! Wow, what a deal, its only triple what i already had payed! Anyway, when I explained to the nice person on the phone that I could indeed do math he finally conceded defeat and canceled my membership and hung up on me. I will never do business with them or any of their affiliates again and would recommend to steer clear of this service.

deeh27
2/18/15

THEY WILL SAY THEY WILL CANCEL YOUR MEMBERSHIP BUT TRY TO GIVE YOU ZERO REFUNDS

PEOPLESMART TRICKS YOU INTO MONTHLY BILLINGS - THEY WILL OFFER A SMALL FEE FOR A REPORT & THEN ADD MONTHLY BILLINGS OF SERVICES IN SMALLL PRINT THAT CAN ADD UP TO TREMENDOUS CHARGES - USUALLY 19.95 + 14.95 FOR TOW SEPARATE CHARGES EACH MONTH.

CALL PEOPLESMART AT 888-813-0008 AND ALL YOU HAVE TO DO TO GET OUR ONE-TIME, OR BACK TO 120 DAYS OF CHARGES OR IF YOU USED PAYPAL IS CALL & THREATEN TO CALL YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY ( OR PAYPAL ) AND DO A CHARGEBACK - THEY WILL GO BACK 120 DAYS OF FULL PAYMENT

Tip for consumers: THEY WILL SAY THEY WILL CANCEL YOUR MEMBERSHIP BUT TRY TO GIVE YOU ZERO REFUNDS

apzh
2/17/15

I tried this company back in march of 2014, I did not like it because all info was inaccurate on people that I knew so why be accurate on those who I do not. I called- cancelled. Today I notice a manual input charge on my discover card and its theses A$$H*LES taking more money. Never noticed until now so kind of my fault too but obviously they didn't do their job correctly! STAY AWAY and double check your accounts

Tip for consumers: Not accurate nor worth it and shady!

jays307
1/30/15

Everything everyone says about PeopleSmart is true. I've been with them for at least a year because I use them mainly to find telephone numbers. That part works most of the time. Otherwise, they are greedy bastards. I pay enough to have them do a search at least once a month, but they want to charge more for that. Their search engine adds letters to give wrong names and I had to call and complain to get satisfaction. They are arrogant and dismissive of their customers -- didn't care that I said I would drop the subscription.

Tip for consumers: I did hear back from PeopleSmart. They offered to renew my subscription for $4.95 per month, down from $19.95 per month. In other words, they will take whatever they can get! Who wants to do business with a company like that?

aspenh
1/28/15

This company is a scam they charged me 35 dollars even though I canceled my "membership" the same day I purchased it . I highly do not recommend this company! Such a scam!

Tip for consumers: Do NOT USE THIS SITE! Unless you like being ripped out of your money.

pauln48
1/26/15

I have 3 phone numbers in my name. I have had them for years. I reverse looked them up. All of them were wrong. I had looked up about 8 numbers with only 2 of them right. If you knew the information that you were trying to look up, you would not look them up. Cannot trust the data.

Tip for consumers: Don't get this site.

jamesb190
1/24/15

Tip for consumers: They are basically looking for ways to get access to your credit card (they over you a low fee for one purchase. Once you make a one time purchase for 1 search, they continue to deduct money from you card every month. I made a one time purchase and they continue to deduct money from my card for 4 months. They are NOT honest. It's a shame! I think they should be investigated.

dennist18
1/4/15

A casual perusal of this site revealed several factual errors when searching my and my son's names. I was prepared to spend 20 bucks to see what the actual full report had to
say about me but the robot wouldnt let me do it. I elected to pay by paypal and they vectored me to a (ostensibly part of PayPal) page where I HAD to give credit card info. Smelling a rat, I looped back thru the pages a few times till I found the catch I was not getting a 'free report' for $1 nor was I going to get the report I wanted for $19.95 but rather I was commiting to pay them $29.99 a month forever.... Scammers like this should be sent to prison. I am willing to pay 20 bux one time to see what they have but
am certain I'll regret giving them a cc#. Also sited like this must have a venue to correct erroneous info...doubt they do.

Tip for consumers: You will probably regret the service.

laurar45
1/3/15

TRICKY BUSINESS.deceptive practices. Do not use! I signed up for the trial at $0.95 and didn't like, immediately cancelled.
People smart also charged me $19.95 that same day even though I cancelled the "7 day trial"

Any emails they sent saying that only part of the acct was cancelled came in a DIFFERENT company name and went to my spam folder.

Then there was a second charge of $19.95 the next month.

I called to request reversal of these charges, and was told I didn't cancel the entire acct.
I then advised I dispute the charges, didn't find the service useful at all and wanted a supervisor. I was on hold about 2 minutes and the agent came back on the line and said that the 2 charges of $19.95 would be refunded and should show back on my acct within 24-48 business hours.

If I don't get the refund I will post here again.

Tip for consumers: Do NOT use! I should have googled this business before using it. Don't use any online business without checking for reviews on whether they are trustworthy and honest.

janed78
12/29/14

$#*! this company!! They have shady fees that they tell you that you signed up for when you activated the service which is complete crap! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! They charged my credit card for months after I continued calling and canceling their services and their customer service woman just kept lecturing me when I know I didn't sign up for 30 dollars worth of protection seeing how I cancelled my account days within activating it! This is a horrible shady company do not give them any more money or freedom to prey on others!

Tip for consumers: DO NOT DO IT!

bobt49
12/17/14

This website is a good site if you need to find a name of a person trying to call you or anything of that nature. What the site neglects to inform you is about their hidden charges. I was charged twice without my knowledge. I did get a refund for my charge but I recommend that anyone that does not like hidden charges to stay away. There excuse is " Its stated on the website" which is true but it would take you hours of digging to find said information. They also will not remove your information if you ask, you must also do a bunch of digging to find out how to do this. If this doesn't sound like something you like I suggest you stay away.

brets12
12/16/14

The site states it will provide full background check including criminal history from online databases with the option to hire a court runner for more thorough investigation. After paying $29.95 for the report, I did not get either. The reports lists incidents as "not specified" meaning it could be a speeding ticket or a felony with no information to determine the offense. Also when I tried to "hire a court runner" the state I wanted to search (NY) isn't even an option. So this report was completely useless, provides no information you can't find on your own and did not deliver what it promises. When confronted, they refused to issue even a partial refund. PeopleSmart is a complete scam. According to BBB they have 590 complaints in the past 3 yrs, that tells you something.

Tip for consumers: If you get burned like I did, be sure to file a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau. This company should not be allowed to keep ripping people off like this.

carlp17
12/15/14

This is a RIP OFF!!!! Don't do it. They advertise one small fee but the fine print allows them to charge $29.95 a month afterwards!!!!! Don't do it!!! BIG RIP OFF!!!!

Tip for consumers: States' Attorney Generals need to shut these people down NOW!!!!!! This is a SCAM!!!!!

sb104
12/10/14

don't do it. They charge extra for things that don't really provide any additional value and they unknowingly sign you up for a monthly fee. When I called to explain this was an error, and requested that my credit card be credited other than for the services provided, they would not do it. They would only credit from today's date forward. Bad service all together. I'm also in HR and have the opportunity to recommend others to stay away.

Tip for consumers: Don't!

dr622
12/8/14

Thank you everybody for the reviews. I was just getting ready to pay for a one-time search for $.95, then decided to look up reviews first. Boy, am I glad I did. You saved me from these SCAMMERS! Thanks again.

celinel3
11/18/14

I just used PeopleSmart despite the bad reviews and found it pleasant and got all the info I wanted. It was an ease to cancel.
All you complainers, I'm sorry to say, it's because
1. Don't read
2. Don't know your way around the internet very well.
3. If all else fails, you can always go to your paypal and cancel recurring subscription.

Five stars from me. Thanks PeopleSmart.

Tip for consumers: Read read Read
If at first you don't suceed, try and try again.
I"m surprise how people say that they didn't know it was a trial and has monthly billing - it's written right there!!!! Move slowly, read and don't be trigger happy and you will be pleasantly surprise.

rj54
11/13/14

Do NOT USE THIS PEOPLE SEARCH. They will charge you for items you don't need or want. Somewhere hidden in the site are words that indicate they will charge you on a monthly basis.

Tip for consumers: Don't use it. Other sites are better and don't have hidden charges.

nataliep14
11/12/14

Stay Away!!! I signed up for 750 credits for 69.95, not realizing they expired every month and then you are charged again. My fault but it should be clearer. Information I was able to receive was not worth it. Stick to the credit bureaus.

Tip for consumers: Don't sign up. You will continue to be charged.

melc20
11/7/14

I registered to this SCAMMING website to look up a name and a phone number. I only paid 0.95 for the phone number. I did not sign up for a membership or click on anything else. The information they provide is very misleading and false so I decided to cancel my free trial the same day I registered. 2 days later, I found out that they charged me 19.95 for something I never signed up for or even used, without notice or receipt. I logged in to the website and it said that I was an active member and my free trial was never cancelled!. I am so confused and frustrated!!. I looked for a cancellation link or a way to delete my account... I couldn't find a way out. They stole my money! and they are going to keep stealing my money every month. I tried to contact them, NO RESPONSE. They totally RIPPED ME OFF. These criminals are getting away with stealing people's money and nobody is doing anything about it to stop them.

Tip for consumers: MISLEADING SCAMMING WEBSITE. DO NOT LET THESE SCAMMERS TAKE YOUR MONEY!!

mikeh138
11/5/14

BEWARE !!!! Don't give them your credit card... 1) they do not have a mechanism in there account manager to allow you to disable the account or payments 2) When you call to disable the account and payments they have the audacity to try to upsell you something else. Unethical practices. Anyway the service was lousy it did not find anything. I would give it zero starts but want people to visually see a low rating.

Tip for consumers: Do not use this site!

ronaldt13
11/4/14

Pathetic rip off. I, as others, signed on for a one month, $19.95. Instead, peoplesmart.com kept hitting my PayPal account for another month. Trying to contact them is tiresome. They make it drudgery. Quite obviously, they run their business without pride and, basically steal from customers. A definite SCAM. Hopefully they will face some kind of justice for their criminal behavior. Stay away from these slime balls.

Tip for consumers: Stay Away!

tarunk1
10/31/14

First of all I just requested a report on my own to see if I have a traffic ticket information on it. It neither provides the right address am living in nor any other information useful. After that I am being charged 20$ every month for the past 5 months with out any receipts sent to me. Today when I was checking my credit card report i found this. When I called them they were saying that I opted for membership which i never did and I even dont have a payment receipt from them for the first report too. When I am on call with them they then sent me a receipt of the first payment. On a whole this seemed to be like a fraud with no accurate info and suggest everyone not to go these guys.

Tip for consumers: NEVER USE PEOPLESMART.COM

jewelsw
10/30/14

I signed up to use People smart because I needed to find out some info on a man my daughter is living with. Look, I put in my own name and it could not even identify when where I was born. Tried some other family names and it is pretty much hit or miss. NOT worth the money. Switchboard.com could do almost just as good. I found out almost zip about the guy. I put in his New York phone number and it said name unavailable! Not smart, not smart at all.

nickh71
10/21/14

An absolute scam. I purchased one contact for $.95 and thought I was finished. They continued to bill my account $20 a month for 7 months. They said I was told that if I don't cancel that I would be charged....cancel what? I bought a contact record, what did I have to cancel. I know the blame ultimately lies with me because I should have diligently read the terms and conditions, but who does that? I HATE companies that offer you a service with a "one-time fee" and sneak in a membership with a cancellation clause. They should check to see if you used the site at all during the time that they billed you and if not refund your money. This is the shadiest way to do business and speaks volumes to what they are all about! Do not, I repeat, Do not do business with these folks. There are better and more ethical search sites out there. These people are the lowest of the low.

ln12
10/21/14

If I could rate them zero, I would. Paid $7.95 for a death-certificate and got a couple of old addresses and ancient phone number. When I clicked on 'death certificate', they wanted me to upgrade for $29.99 !!!! YIKES, what a scam.

alexd50
10/20/14

I also got scammed. I did the trial and canceled on the same day but they continued to charge me $20 a month. I am still pretty mad about it. DO NOT GO HERE

terryl34
10/3/14

My wife run a one time ($.99) one time report where she works for a possible hire. She did not authorize any further charges. She used her credit card for the report.
Immediately they started charging her card twice a month $19.95. Once in the beginning and once in the end of the month. one for Peoplesmart and one for Freephone. This was done for sixteen months to the amount of $638.00. I did not catch this when checking her monthly checking statement because I thought it was just her buying things and the charges showed up as "Bill Pay withdrawal". I only became aware of this, in my opinion, fraud when they showed up four months ago as "phonetrcer.com and phone freephone tracer.com".
If you want to avoid have something similar possibly happening to you, I would suggest not doing business with this organization.

vickib11
9/30/14

I paid, got a report and there was nothing correct on it. I am trying to get a refund with little results. The report had no real information in it that was usable, and even had the incorrect age by 20 years! Waste of money- and the 'customer service' in non-existent!! Don't waste your money.

normb2
9/22/14

I guess I should ave read these reviews before signing up. The info (phone #s, addresses, etc ) was in no way accurate. After going to the Chicago area to look up my cousin's relatives shown on the site, the phone #s were bad (by at least 4 years), 3 addresses were bad (by from 3 to 8 years). 2 pieces of info were correct out of 14. Not worth the trouble or expense.

cindyb32
9/13/14

Scam - beware!

laurac58
9/12/14

Total scam people smart I a fraud

shahidn
9/9/14

They attract you with low cost one time search, make you sign an agreement that you later realize for some kind of automatic renewal. I didn't even know I was paying $39 for it for two years until finally they sent me an autorenewal notice in the 3rd year.

edc21
9/8/14

I used this and the site worked as advertised. Canceling is another matter. If you do not see a cancellation email immediately continue to call until you do. They WILL NOT REFUND ANYTHING.

johnc249
8/22/14

-100 stars. These people need to be fined, if not serve prison time. That will be the only revenge all of use fill about this very sad indivuals. All of us need to call the BBB and we need to all come together and take them to court! I am very pissed how they have been able to get away with this. I hope they read this. They wlll not last much longer. Where is your better judgemnt hiding peopledumb. STOP this ripoff of so many good people... I hope they read these reveiws, so perhaps they will know what loosers they are. People like this have no guilty conscience... So very sad.. Where the hell is Sitejabber??????? Help us.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT USE. Get off this site NOW, before you become another victim...

jeremiahd10
8/22/14

Non-FCRA companies like this one are fake. You're not only paying for less info than what's available on a Google search, but you're paying for WRONG info. These assclowns and all their scumbag buddies have me listed as a 66yo pedo in California and my sister listed as a MAN. I've reported them to the Federal Trade Commission. Anyone who cares about mother$#*!ers losing jobs because of these $#*!ups will too. Here's the link: http://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc

Tip for consumers: REPORT THEM TO THE FEDS!!!!!