US Government's NSF

nicolej

74 Reviews for OkCupid

▼ Sort by: recent

4/20/14

Okcupid.com has revolutionized the world of online dating by providing a free, easy to navigate dating website that offers a service comparable to the paid sites. While the matching system has its limitations, the fact that the site is free means that it has one of the largest databases of users in the country, which is crucial in this industry and is directly related to its positioning as the leader in the online dating world.

4/20/14

OKCupid, as a site, its excellent. Its probably one of the best dating sites out there. However, as the case with any dating site, you'll often have shallow, superficial, stuck up people on it.

As a site, OKCupid is almost perfect. It has detailed profiles, a question matching algorithm, an early warning system to let you know if you'll be wasting your time by writing to users who never respond, and more. However, its not perfect. The matching algorithm is flawed. Once you answer a good 600 or more questions, it becomes nearly impossible to match anyone who's answered just as many. In other words, the more questions you answer, the less compatibility you'll have with others. Also, over time, OKCupid has gotten rid of some cool features, like the blog, the Private Notes section, and most recently, the tally of new messages or matches you have. They no longer tell you how many new messages are in your inbox or how may people have viewed your profile. Also, the browsing options are limited, even if you upgrade to paid-subscription A-List. You cannot search by response frequency, common interests, or sometimes height (which is limited to 5'0" to 6'4").

OKCupid is one of the best dating sites out there, but it could be better. They continually get rid of cool features over the years, and more can be added into the site to make it more popular other than searching among the same old lame profiles. It could be like Facebook, in many ways. The questions and quizzes are cool, for example. And you could visit the site for reasons other than writing to people (and getting snubbed by them).

As a dating site, OKCupid is nearly perfect. However, it does have its flaws and like any other dating site, is often filled with very shallow people.

4/15/14

I've been on and off of here for 2 years. I filter the guys that contact me to see who's an actual match and who's just a jerk looking to get laid. I sometimes get contacted by older guys trying to find a girl with daddy issues which in my case is not the case and I'm quick to shut them down because it can get really creepy.

I went out with one guy on here for around 5 months gibsondude29 aka James Ryder aka James Butka. We didn't work out, and it became very obvious to me towards the end of the relationship. A few months after I broke up with him I found out quite by accident that he slept with one of my friends that also lives in my building and thought I wouldn't find out. She didn't know we were dating because he didn't want people to know we were dating (the only guy that has not been okay with telling people we're together and yes this was a red flag for me). Well she tends to use guys for sex and apparently receiving a taste of his own medicine didn't sit to well with him.

He keeps coming back to my campus, most recently for a radio interview. He's incredibly narcissistic, if the conversation doesn't revolve around him it's boring, and he's always right.

He did teach me to be more careful with whom I choose off this site because there are some really cool guys out there, it's just since I'm in the younger age group I have more to sift for to try to find someone that I'm compatible with. I also am posting this to anyone that may be considering dating him, and should have some perspective of someone that actually dated him for awhile.

4/12/14

I have been a member for over two years and I have had no luck whatsoever. The girls are too selective, the picture guidelines are too ridiculous, and the matchmaking is poor. Out of my entire time being on OkayCupid, only about six women messaged me, but those conversations never lasted long. The majority of that 6 also took a while to reply, while I replied almost instantly. Now you may be thinking that 6 is a lot, but over the course of two years, six is quite low. Of course I'm not expecting swarms of messages, but I would have expected a little more than six.

Me being a male 19 year old Atheist, I wanted to be be matched with like minded people, but nope. I get matched with 30+ year old people, highly Religious people, etc.

Based on the amount of questions I answered (I answered at least 1,700), I expected decent results (I was told my highest match would be 99.9%). But that would take effort from their staff.

Also being someone who has never dated before, my experiences only make me dislike OkayCupid even more. But I still keep my account up in hopes that something might happen. Though if this keeps up, I might just give up and delete my account.

4/6/14

Totally worthless and a big waste of time. You are better off calling numbers randomly from the phone book. The interface is annoying, and the matches are brutal. Don't waste your time.

3/30/14

after weeks of waiting i finely was asked on a date by my prince donging we both new where we would rather be 10 min in to are date he was a real hunk, i took him back to my place he reviled his ass distraction it was officially the biggest dong i had ever seen, i knew i wouldent be able to walk any more if i went a head so as i turned to say no to him i found the piethiaon half way in to me mouth i couldent breath in one hand me dreams where becoming true and in the other hand i was chucking to death. then i thought to me self i rather die knowing then live woundering. next thing i know i woke up 2 weeks later in icu iv permanently lost me voice and got me rear door kicked in so hard that when i eat now comes out 2 sec later. but the mystery is that is this a good experience or...... plz u gays help me

3/21/14

I think, hands down, ok cupid is the best free site...and coming close to the best site overall. It has thousands of questions and tests...the more you answer, the closer it can match you (so it claims) though some of the matches are baffling. It also forms a personality profile on you based on your question answers and test results. There also seem to be a wider variety of people on this site than most.

UNFORTUNATELY, match.com bought ok cupid a couple of years ago. And they've slowly been removing functionality from the site ever since. Dumbing it down, removing useful features...by stealth. For instance, you cannot locate profiles without pictures now if you do a search. Before it was a checkable option. They've removed the Forum and Blog component entirely...where many members were complaining about the recent changes. Now they no longer show you when your 'favourites' are on line...a useful feature.

Perhaps these features will return one day...with a price tag on them. But, from a commercial point of view, it doesn't make much sense for match.com to maintain a free site they own...that is a much better dating site than their pay site. It's only going to get worse.

You've been warned.

3/10/14

i was skeptical going in but was gld to be found wrong. Chatted with a few women and had some, that i thought, possibile matches. Went out with one woman who was nice but i jsut had no chemistry with.
Than one day i was scrolling thru some of the computer amtches and came across one that had a high percentage (plus a spunky profile message) so i contacted her. We talked for a bit and made a date for that coming weekend and spent th whole day together.
She is now living with me and i could not be happier. She is everything i had been looking for and i feel so lucky and blessed o have found her. I know this does not happen for everyone, but the site can and does work.

3/9/14

This website sucks signed like five weeks and I had my profile for only three weeks and I didn't receive no messages which is frustrating the only stupid thing was that a girl accepted me as a match then I message her and never responded back so I deleted my account for good

3/5/14

I had little to no luck on OkC. Figured I'd put in a sincere effort to find someone but fate had other plans. I expected the women to be extremely selective in who they chatted with and why wouldn't they, the market is in their favor. If I had to guess it's probably ten males to one female, so the odds are stacked against dudes.

Advice to the guys, sign up with very low and I mean LOW expectations, don't set yourself up for failure.

2/27/14

I met who I thought was the love of my life. Only a few things would I have changed at all. He contacted *me* first, and after giving it some thought, I decided to get us in deep. I thoroughly looked forward to getting to the point where we spent the rest of our lives together.

Then, after a while, he stopped messaging me.

I talked to someone earlier today, and he said he was probably either a middle-aged pervert who creates fake profiles, or a robot.

As a person with autism, I had never been in love before and now, for the first time, I experiencing my first genuine heartbreak. My depression has also gotten a promotion from intermittent to consistent.

After reading about the bad customer service, I’m afraid to report it.

2/23/14

I had sign up for ok cupid for less than a week. I received a message from a user called stuckey530 ( Paul Stuckey). He claimed to be a Sargent with the ARMY and that he was stationed in Afghanistan. He stated like that he was 41yrs old looking for long term relationship and that he made 100,0000 a yr. At first, the conversation was very short and basic., then he gave his email address and he eventually disabled his okcupid account. As we started to communicated.I asked him basic questions like, where are you orginally from, how long have you serve in the Army etc. I had did some research and found him on facebook with six different fb pages all with his pictures with him in field in Afg. and with other soliders. One page was updated as recent as feb.1,2014. He didn't say much, all I got out of him was that he was from Albany, NY. Yet his fb had listed as orginally from Washington D.C, was in Albany and he that he was in Brooklyn, NY. He stated that he was busy and that was why the communication was stagnant.( which was understandable). However, one day I did not receive any message from him until 11.oopm and He stated that he was Ok but worried. When I expressed my concern and asked him to tell me what is wrong. I stated that he had sold his car in the States and the buyer had his check with money but he did know how he was going to get the money. I responded and stated that he should contact the buyer, a close friend or family and handle his business. He wrote back that he was the ONLY SON and that his parents are dead. I immediately knew that this was a scammer. I wrote back and referred him to check out www.meetastudpidchic.com and to find himself a sucker. He wrote me back and stated "I see That is why you ar Poor and you never get married you will die in poor (M...Fr) I complained to Ok cupid and to dat no one has reponded. I will be filinf a complaint with the internet crime unit. Meeting people should not be a nightmare..

2/17/14

So not being comfortable with on-line dating I gave this site a try. The site will email you every day or so "compatible matches" that are selected from your answered questions. The first week of those matches was "ok" but no one that really interest me. Then I was sent 3 matches of women that I had recently worked with."How does that happen"!!! And, these were women who I knew I was not compatible with. Not only was this weird but it made me think there is really no logic to the site when it comes to matching couples. I really think they just randomly match up anyone. Needless to say I'm no longer dating on-line. Note: I live in the Los Angeles area not in some hidden mountain area where there are only 5 ppl living...

2/11/14

Okay, so I am little biased because OK Cupid worked for me. First off I was pretty selective and would only respond to people who were nice and polite, and showed a decent profile - no 'selfies' in the mirror, shirt off, gangster style, and so on. Out of these I went out with two men. The first one turned out to be on outing and FB friends where we still talk and are very friendly towards each other. The second one was a successful business man who asked me what my income was - first and last date which consisted in ice cream and good-bye. I was 'gone' for a while and always left the IM off. One day I was logged in on different things, including OK Cupid, and received an IM that I have no idea how it turned on. That was July 2011, August of 2012 we became an official item, February of 2013 we moved in together, and August of 2013 we were married. Happily married! What I can say is to not wait for overnight magic and Prince Charming, select what you want based on what is good according to your moral standards, and give people a chance. Not everyone is a douche bag nor a saint, but there are normal guys and gals out there waiting for an opportunity for something good. Best of luck!!

2/9/14

A lot of cool features. Met a few black men on here. One claimed he was rapper T.I.'s third cousin. Yeah ok. Anyway they were all extremely friendly as long as I was in a good mood. Yeah ok. Only met one in person. The other two were flakes.

2/6/14

My biggest complaint is that you cannot select the racial background of the men you would like to date. In my case, my parents would freak if I ever brought a black guy to their house. My inbox gets flooded by messages from black guys. I have a red dot (responds very selectively) due to this, which makes other members less likely to message you. I sometimes wonder if these guys just do it on purpose since they know you won't respond. Aside from that, I dated three guys off the website. One was rebounding, another looking for casual, open relationships, and the third was thirty and still living with his parents.

2/6/14

Okcupid is a free dating website which means that most of the men on there are basically looking for something for free. I met one person on this site and he was a total pervert. I should have known because look at the questions they ask and really the Swiss cheese pervert was on the site. The guys on here are low class low grade me. The conversation I had with the last and final guy told me to go $#*! off because I wouldn't flirt with him through IM. That is when I closed out my account and had enough. I have better things to do with my time than talk to low class degrading men. If you are bored ladies by all means this site might be for you but other than that its a waste of time. This isn't a dating website. Its a site for men to get laid for free who have no respect for women.

1/31/14

Found my husband cheating on me .... his username is thecrow1984.(aka Andri Krita) i really hope he deleted his profile and never had any dates with any of those dirty women.....
if someone recognize this name, pls reply to me....

1/24/14

This is pretty cool site for casual dating, it is about time something else besides POF. If you are looking for something more adult oriented though then you could try DateorPlay.com

1/21/14

Tried a few days ago for the first time. Found the questions Interesting - its a way of gettting to know someone. BUT there seem to be major problems with logging in to you account. The password retrieval system mostly does not work, and then all the work you've put into you page is wasted. Having looked at several other sites recently I suspect that many of the profiles are run by site computer. One paying site I tried I had about15 hits in the first couple of hours - and I am no Adonis. So how many of those women exist only in the computer??. The DTI needs to check this industry out - there appears to be a real possibility of some of these sites being scams.

1/6/14

I can only claim three days experience but in that time I wasted many hours answering almost 2000 questions only to have my entire profile vanish.

Next day I tried to log in and it said "account deleted"

Today I created another account because I wanted to use the forum to find help. You can read problems others had in the forum but you cannot post unless you log in. When you do log in you cannot access the forum...it just redirects you back to the home page. Basically you cannot complain about problems.

10 minutes after creating the account ( no info in profile yet ) I went back to log in and it said "account deleted" ???

Now several hours I can again log in to the test account but my primary account still says "deleted".

These are classic signs when a company like this is in trouble and about to close its doors, technical problems go unresolved, forums and blogs are disabled for comment, support emails go unanswered.

I won't waste those hours again. If they fix the problem and I can finally access my account again and have not lost that work I will give it a try. But if they lost everything then I give up.

A site like this, hype aside, is useless if it does not function and they won't fix it.

UPDATE: 1/6/14

Well now that I created a new account in order to try to gain access to forums to complain, that account was also deleted. Bottom line, these people refuse to let anyone complain about anything. If you do you will not get any response or support, they will simply delete your account without any warning or explanation.

1/6/14

Not sure why but my account was deleted after making a profile twice. The main culprit, a picture of me in jeans with my shirt off!!! Hold your horses I know, it's not against guidelines listed on the site, there are several profiles of escorts on the site where they advertise their services, I saw dozens of women covering their breasts with only their hands, or them bent over in some scantily clad underwear. Yet a man cannot have a picture of himself with his shirt off. Awesome job!? Search options were limited, actual search results where usually not complete/fragmented (ie if you searched the same criteria, you'd get different results each time) I would NOT recommend using this site, ever.

1/6/14

Talked to some interesting girls, and hooked up once, but the site is still missing the actual amount of attractive women(1/5 are hot enough for me). Its full of lonely unattractive girls that can carry a conversation and remain in the friend zone. Its free so try it?

1/2/14

Its worthless. Wastage of time for guys. It wants to show to girls if we can't spend few money to became a paid members then we are fake and poor.

12/17/13

I signed to okcupid months ago. Suddenly i can't sign in. I tried to change password but they have a robot to send you a link. The link wasn't good So i'm stuck . I send them 3 email to fix the problem and thy never answered. That's suppose to be the best site on earth? lol

12/11/13

Contacted numerous ladies 60 or so, 4 replyed back, 2 to say they didn't want to communicate, had one good conversation with one lady, never went on any date. Worst waste of time ever, if this is typically how e-dating is they can keep it. Dont waste you're time, or money on this site.

12/8/13

OKC is a great site, efficient, user friendly and funny with tons of wonderful and interesting people. However tough and specific as standards are very high there.
With OKC free doesn't mean cheap at all!

Feminine profiles are mostly from middle-age highly educated women, with strong personnalities, who have busy and dynamic lifestyle with good professional positions. Often executives or independant. Then they know exactly what they want and are indeed very selective.

Challenging but fair isn't it?

11/20/13

Most members seem to want a one night stand. I suppose it would be a five for quite a few people but that is just not my flask of whiskey.

11/14/13

I will share my experience with this site. Seems to me there are a lot of fake profiles on there but once you try to scope them out, and connect with the true profiles.Network a little you should find that OK cupid will bring you some good..charismatic friends. I do like the layout and it is easy and fun to use.Nice to boy shop, I have met some highly interesting people and had some fascinating chats, it is very true about the chemistry.They get that right.

11/11/13

Too many of the women on the site are too selective. They don't even bother to respond or sometime even check out my profile, although I have had one or two respond to say we weren't a match or to reply to an anecdote I gave after reading her profile.

I paid around $14 for the month in order to be 'invisible' and see if my messages were actually being read. (They were). Unfortunately, as aforementioned, the response rate is horrible.

11/7/13

I dated a girl within 2 wks period after signing up...
I still single and no longer dated that girl, but hey, OKC did his job! right?

11/5/13

I don't understand those, who are saying this site is bad. I am using this from 7 months, i never paid any penny for this site. Downside of the site is that there are not so many people and there is quiver - computer is giving you recommended matches - usually some overweight women what is deal breaker for me, because i do sports and i expect the women to be at least ok shape. I have met about 8 women from this site, plus 2 women abroad, who turned into really nice penpals. For me by now this is the best FREE dating site i have ever tried. One downside - but it is on all dating sites, women are not serious what they want. I must say, i am good looking guy with wide range of interests, but i rarely get a response. Are they waiting for Bred Pitt to text them? Or i think for lot of girls online dating is just a way how to make self-esteem higher, because guys are saying nice things.

11/1/13

guys don't pay for the site!
once you subscribe to okcupid, they ip ban people from logging in to stop people from canceling their subscription, they allow you to log on your account from mobile, so they can legally charge you every month.... they scammed me and now I have to cancel my card.

you guys want proof?
well I changed my ip adress using a proxy server, and guess what?
I logged right on using a different account... but when I tried to log on using my account they said the site is having technical difficulties.. obvious scam and im taking action against the company.

everyone please take action against okcupid...

10/21/13

So the person was kathrine hanson 559 5146264 number she gave me and even has a fbook with same name.look at her pics there. Watch out ..I chatted with this person on the okcupid dating site. She says shes a bikini model visiting SD in a hotel .You could come see her pick her up etc but you need to pay a 5 dollar fee for the security guard to register you?WTF?then later wants you to sigh up for a web cam site.called hlinkme...says you need to pay a small fee to see her ?lol This is all going on texting on my cellphone mind you. Im no sucker So I played along for a bit. Finally I confronted the person ,scammer . And said sorry Im no sucker I seen this scam online. Being polite and all since I do know the person had my digits. Didnt want any further crank call etc lol . But anyways after being nice she replyed f -you dikhead . lol I thought what ever

10/21/13

This is less a review of the site than the quality of people on it. The women complain that men only want sex, nobody reads their profile and they don't want messages that only consist of 'whats up,' yet when somebody real comes around they only focus on that persons photos.

10/11/13

It is a good dating site if you don't want to cost money . You can send or receive letters for free. But you are not sure whether the people is real person.
I have been on this site for almost one year , and also keep communicate with some people , but also limited to chat. I also sign up a other dating site, idateasia.com .Hope to find my life partner soon.

10/10/13

Okupid is OK, haaa. I think that they are too revenue driven. If the hold off so people can establish a connection before gouging them, the site would be more popular. Just because i see a girl that i think i may be interested, does not mean i want to pay just to chat with her... call me cheap, or whatever.

9/24/13

Well... I love the idea of the personal questions, and I love their design.
BUT - there are some creepy people there, so no 5 stars from me.

9/15/13

This is hands down the worst site ever. Joined off and on for 8 months and every time it is the same lame scammers. All these men want is sex and absolutely nothing else. They will talk and talk and talk then eventually send you a picture of their junk. I've gone out with a few but it is the same crap...ill buy you dinner but I expect sex when it is over.
I'll stick with trying to meet someone just living my life normally without a damn computer.

9/15/13

Some people like this site better than POF but I don't...OK cupid is a little gimmicky to me and there are less people I'd be interested in dating but I've been on both of those free sites and hands down they are so much better than any popular paid sites you see advertised (how do you think they pay for those advertisements? By charging you) Most people on those sites signed up for the free trial then went inactive once the trial is over.

9/11/13

Signed up, thought it was very well designed and easy to use. Then I try to sign in a couple of days later only to find out my profile (which I spent a good few hours creating) was deleted due to some unknown reason. I had not broken any rules or done anything unusual.

Search the complaints and you will find many more like this. They also have NO customer support.

8/30/13

I had the okcupid account for a while and always got bullying message from crazy people. So yesterday when I got another bullying message from a stranger who got infuriated after he read my profile and noticed that he might not be someone that I'm looking for, I decided to take a screenshot of what he wrote me and I posted what he wrote on my profile picture and I reported that to okcupid. But instead okcupid tried to protect me as a victim, they right away deleted my account. I wrote them at least three emails with this incident and also attached the screenshot of this crazy stranger's nasty message but they did not reply at all and just ignored me. Okcupid is letting those bullies barking like rabid dogs on other innocent users and let them run free while blocking the innocent ones. If anyone who want to sue this website, I'll be joining!

8/21/13

Online dating is no big deal for me. I don't think it makes you a loser. Two of my friends are in happy relationships with people they met online through OKCupid. However, I'm sort of a hipster when it comes to these things and this was definitely not the place to find smart, quirky girls that like indie rock and reading books. I stopped using the site when it started glitching on me and I couldn't log in. No big deal loss to me though.

8/9/13

As the name of this site suggests, it is OK. After having to browse through many photos and profiles of girls, I finally stumble upon one that I like, but most of the girls are too selective---they don't even bother to respond or sometime even check out my profile, although a few have been nice.

8/2/13

I am going to have to rate this site WORSE than "meh" because it gets too many BOTS (I tested-them & they are BOTS, without a doubt!) and juvenile-sounding 71 year old women (LIKELY misstating their REAL AGES in their profiles..I finally had to message several of them "I am ON TO YOU!! & I will send you to the corner for time-out without DIN-DIN if you don't stop lying about your AGE!" IT RETORTED-BACK with some partial-condescending nastiness & foul language EXTREMES (NOT the demeanor of a 71 year old woman..OBVIOUSLY) and FAR TOO MUCH USE of COMPUTER SLANG for a 71 year old anyway (I live in a town full of SENIORS & NONE OF THEM talk-like IT DID!) and I had instructed the sight SEARCH PARAMETERS "I wanted YOUNGER" and they gave-me (supposedly) AGED-OLDER...but, never-the-less JUVENILE-SOUNDING! YOU OLDER LADIES SHOULD BE OFFENDED BY AN "IT" sounding rude, crude, juvenile, brat, and WORSE..claiming-to-be YOUR AGE! Anyway...I'd had "enough" & stopped messaging anyone on this site for awhile & reporting-them to the site-owners will get you BLOCKED instead...so their "rules" might just-as-well NOT EXIST...because just-like another-site POF or PLENTY OF FISH ; THEY WON'T ENFORCE "those" THAT EVEN LOOK-LIKE "THEY COULD TEAR-UP & RIOT & BREAK-INTO A WHOLE TOWN after a Surfing Contest (like they DID in a CALIFORNIA TOWN, recently....costing millions of dollars damages & destroying property "en-masse") well, I came into this world by myself...I guess I can leave-it, the same way! ONLINE DATING is "approaching" HOPELESSNESS, I THINK!? I have been 12 years "at-it" & even my off-line friends(who have known-me for A LONG TIME)..don't know why "I persist-them...as they NEVER WOULD" !! they've "told me THAT" --REPEATEDLY!!!

7/17/13

I was a member on this site for 2 weeks before I was locked out of my account. I have written to customer service repeatedly with absolutely no reply. They have no phone contact info. Now my info is floating out there somewhere and I can't access it or delete it. I've read numerous complaints of the same kind and have come to the conclusion that OKCupid is bad news.

6/4/13

Found a lot of cool people on this site, the features weren't like other sites where you had to pay for everything

2/13/13

I was on Match and Our Time, both of which require that you pay to send/respond to messages etc. I met total losers on both sites ... illegal immigrants, homeless guys living in beat up old cars that are duct-taped together, no job, no other source of income, filthy clothes, terrible personal hygiene, greasy matted hair, looking like they haven't brushed their teeth in 6 months (some don't have any teeth at all), dirt under their fingernails, endless sob stories, asking to pay bills, asking for money. I'm not paying for any more dating sites.

So, I checked out OKCupid because it's free, and guess what ... a lot of the guys on this site are the same ones that are on Match and Our Time. I signed up anyway (hey, it's free), then deleted my account within a few hours. My profile says I'm looking for a serious relationship, and I get tons of messages from guys looking only for sex and they want to hook-up with me in 30 minutes ... without even getting to know me? Do they even read your profile to see what you're looking for? If my profile said I was looking to hook-up, I could understand it ... but why am I getting requests for quickie sex sessions when I'm looking for a serious relationship?

Is it too much to ask that somebody take a shower before a date and put on clean clothes?

1/2/13

Great website! Cool approach to the online dating world. Mostly clean well managed, Free! There are obviously things that could be improved, like server speed or conversation approaching style option expansion, but again it's free.

8/26/12

I am over the age of 50 and I have been on this site for 6 years. I have met and dated several decent men. I have not met anyone I want to marry because I am not there yet. I recommend it for anyone getting back in the dating scene. I carefully screen the users. Beware that there are some romance scammers. The site has a great moderating feature. You can block and report anyone that you don't want to engage in conversation on IM. I am also a moderator on the site. It is a pretty liberal site so you will find anything and everything based on the line of questions. The best thing about OKCupid is that it is absolutely free! No scams or tricks.
Enjoy!

About OkCupid
Specialties & Business Description
large online dating site with free basic membership.