US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

carbonc

It's just a website that facilitates peoples' desires to MEET other like-minded people. (in 59 reviews)

kayl263

Every Meetup Group that I organized had a lot of people joining. (in 85 reviews)

susans112

I don't think Meetup overall should be blamed; it is the individual organizers who give it a bad rep. (in 24 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

michellel110
2/2/16

Young newbies of PBC is a group that is only there to sell and do drugs. They should shut it down

jeannem26
1/29/16

I am very outgoing and energized, and have always been one to organize events, so I thought it would be perfect to get a meet-up group going as I was divorced and wanted to connect with those who have common interests. I started a live music group and have invested an incredible amount of time into this for close to 8 months and have under 130 members only. I have scheduled 33 awesome meet-ups and most times I am solo or have to find an outside friend to go with and other times 1-2 people show. It is costing me $20 a month - no one contributes although I ask for a $2 fee (I don't want to ask for the money). I am not a quitter and had high hopes, thinking 1000 people would sign up right away (how silly). I reached out to meet-up and asked why is it that I see tons of people who are interested in live music yet they are not joining my site (even my friends couldn't find the site when I gave them specific instructions) and just some unhelpful responses. There is no number to call an employee and it is frustrating. Like I said, I am not a quitter but in this case I am feeling very discouraged which is not good so have to close up shop.

lauried15
1/27/16

As a Group Organizer, using Meetup is fine until something goes wrong. You then naturally turn to the Help Center for assistance. The name is a misnomer because, in my experience, you will get a polite message by return, but no useful help or advice. Even on going back and explaining the problem again (and again) does not help - the staff just reiterate the same anodine, unhelpful phrases. Very frustrating and a complete waste of time! The one star is for the politeness of the messages from them Otherwise, it would have been zero!

assuntab
1/21/16

I have been, and still am, both an organizer of groups and a member. Loved every minute of it.

angelam87
1/12/16

I have been unfairly removed from 2 meetup groups because some women are jealous of me and do not want me there.. They have tarnished my reputation with lies and have damaged my reputation. This started happening in August of 2015.. They held meeting to degrade me and talk about me and shared my last name with men who could potentially be stalkers.. I have complained and nothing is being done about it.. This is illegal..

cutiep4
1/11/16

I was looking forward for a few months now to go to a meetup group in toronto its for a nightclub.she has a strict rule that if you dont show up 3 times your out of the group. well it also said if you need to cancel and you cant come to the event you need to cancel before 48 hours or its one strike. i canceled 3 days before 48 hrs because i had an important family event i wasnt aware of. so i rsvped no. instead of just letting it go because i followed her rules and canceled before 48 hrs she messages me, starting arguement. she said why am i canceling after i was asking her lots of questions about the event so i told her why and she didnt understand that in life things come up. she wasnt being fair because i did cancel when i was suppose too and she said im not welcome to her groups anymore. i told her as a host you should be patient and polite to your group members and help them out. she didnt care at all. other groups i joined they are very friendly. whats the point to have a meetup group if you cant respect members. i guess just because your a organizer it gives you a right to bully others. i reported her to meetup but i dont know what they can do about it. im sure other people had that experience as well. she wasnt even respecting her own policy.so i quit her groups. i was suspicious of her because when i asked her questions about the event her answers were very short and she sounded annoyed. i wouldnt feel safe if i had to meetup with her. i didnt want to put her name up on public forum. people do need to watch out which groups they join. there are alot of dangerous people out there.

betsyk4
1/11/16

The success of any MeetUp is really about the organizer ( Westerville 40's = the organizer is not kind, graceful, nor diplomatic) and of course the people who join the group. But again, if the organizer is accepting, treats everyone equally, and doesn't promote gossip then it's likely the group will be successful. If an organizer has pure intentions of getting people together we must assume that people are adults...don't micromanage!

In my somewhat limited experience the best groups are the ones which draw sports minded people together, such as kayaking or cycling. As a cautionary note it is probably best to never use your full name nor tell where you live or what your profession is. There will always be creepy people and if someone messages you via the MeetUp site-- simply ignore them!

mikem320
1/4/16

Not a good place to meet quality people.

armena2
12/21/15

I been thinking of sueing meetup for mental crap!! I joined a bunch three years ago, and it was fine.. It helped me with all my depression and activities during my divorce.
I helped this organizer this weekend, felt strange about the situation, she flirted with me, and I didn't respond, next thing I got banned from all my
Meetups, and also some friends on Meetup I was on FB has all unfriended me!
She got two organizers to kick me out of the two popular ones I always have done!
What the $#*! did I do!!

This isn't fair.. She never ever thanked me, she just left me to be myself in a room of 70 people, awkward and left alone!

They suck

davej49
12/15/15

I am a former organizer of a Meetup Group. What a crappy platform. They blocked my account because I cut and pasted a few messages to members. Although some groups have thousands of members they have a policy that there is no copying /pasting and want personal messages to all members. How feasible is that. Don't waste your time or money with this pathetic social media site.

ta5385
12/13/15

We run a sports meetup on MEETUP and guy pulled a knife and was upset and threatening. He then harassed members for several weeks.

We emailed police report, photos of him at events, and testimony from several members TO MeetUp Headquarters.

Naturally we banned him, so what did MeetUp HQ ask: did we ban him. WHEN he was banned he immediately attempted to start his own group on MeetUP.

What did MeetUp do? They took his money and started his MeetUp while he harassed members several more weeks.

We asked, why are you profiting from this guy?

They said go to your local cops. We had already sent MeetUp police report, so it was pointless.

We literally email MeetUp photos of this guy at an event, UN invited (not rsvp d), AND we email testimony from members that he was stocking group, AND MEETUP TOOK HIS MONEY TO START A NEW MEETUP??????? They are scum.

MeetUp totally sucks if there is an issue, and since you are dealing with the public, in time, there will be an issue.

MeetUp actively promotes violence BY watching and not acting.

It is like the teacher who watches bullying and then blames it on the bully. The violent guy acts out because he knows there is an environment that encourages it.

I do not doubt that one day they'll be a big news story on MeetUp for being sued for this type of non-action.

Tip for consumers: avoid MeetUp

rsvp-vintaged
12/10/15

Went to what was meant to be a London Fashion and personal styling group. I have a vintage clothing company in Holland Park and I was keen to meet other industry people and or Stylist's. Alas that was not to be...I was very disappointed to discover it was just a rouse to get people to fill a very expensive venue while it was having a "quiet period" before the Christmas office partying event began.
We were shown to the room where our expected Fashion Networking session would begin. No one from the organisation was there to welcome you or to help conducting the event. Usually when you attend these events there is someone to kick the event off by introducing a member or speaker who can help others mingle. Instead we were greeted by another event, indeed 2 other events - "The Christmas Jumper Party" - full of fat 20/30 something junior office admin types and a "Meet n Mingle" dating event, so the 2 guy's who were trying to chat me and my friend up said.
I feel that we were duped by the organisers who clearly were merging all events so to mitigate against low numbers. I did not meet anyone who was there for the London Fashion and personal styling group.....no pleased WILL NOT BE BACK!!!!

steveh137
11/26/15

I am the Organizer of two Meetup groups, one of which is now in its third year and very popular. The Meetup concept and overall implementation is very well done. I have the following questions and comments for the Meetup organization:
1. Why do you implement new major features to the arrangement or operation of the Meetup system without giving a heads-up to your Organizations first? For example, your roll-out of the payment system WePay; you not only rolled this out to the masses without forewarning your Organizers, you also removed the ability to accept Paypal for these fees in the same step. What a blow to your Organizers!
2. Meetup does not allow Organizers to “make a profit through Meetup” by charging a high group membership fee (in the eyes of Meetup corp.), but yet welcomes and supports Organizers who are clearly only using the Meetup system as a front to upsell their members to other services, such as speed-dating events and matchmaking services. Why the discrepancy?
3. The Meetup technical infrastructure at times is unstable and disjointed. For example, lately it has not been working properly with MS Explorer. Come on; this is a major browser. Another example: often at times it will chug and chug while waiting for the site to load. Professional sites such as Google never seem to experience such issues. Please upgrade your programming capabilities.
Thank you, but I truly do not expect to hear back from you on these issues…after all, I am a mere Organizer, the axel on which your system turns.

Tip for consumers: Meetup is the best system for meeting and making friends because it uses technology to meet the old-fashioned organic way...in person. Love the premise, just which they respected their Organizers more.

janed118
11/2/15

Meetup really is a fantastic concept. As with ANY "semi-anonymous" public forum in the new millenium, whether its online dating or meetup, its YOUR responsibility to use caution when using these venues to meet people. Like many unscreened social situations, there is often a high number of what I think of as "predatory" people that, although they have mastered superficial charm, may struggle with "quality relationships" (this very much includes the organizers!) But, there are also great people out there to meet as well. Its your responsibility to inform yourself. Ofcourse public venues can be a big draw for antisocial people who need an endless supply of new faces for relationships as very few of them go deep or last long. I think this is just something we need to become aware of as we socialize in the new millenium. Its not scary if we just inform ourselves & learn how to socially screen better. Ask more questions, pay attention to behavior rather than words, take our time getting to know people. Its just a fact of life that some people, rather than becoming socially accountable, by learning from mistakes, prefer to create a constant oasis of "fresh victims" by starting or haunting meetup groups. A "false fan club", if you will. Similar to facebook addicts with 500 shallow friends who they create a false life for "instant-gratification-attention-getting". Ive noticed many organizers of these groups end up being exposed as some of the most immature, childish people Ive ever met, who amazingly enough, are void of any long-lasting deep relationships in both the "love' & "friendship" "family" arena. Ive seen them methodically drive out, discourage, & gang up on members of their group that are classier, younger, or better looking than themselves. (Thats why people complain that meetup is 'full of losers'...it actually may have to do with the fact that the organizer is 'running off' the "winners" because they see them as competition) Reminiscent of middle school social behavior. Narcissists, sex/love addicts, gold diggers, double lifers, stalkers,"poor me, Im a victim" divorcees/bankruptees looking for kind & generous suckers with money (both male & female on all examples). Depends on luck & location sometimes. Refrain from giving too much sympathy/generosity/personal attention to anyone until you've known them awhile (watch their behavior, ignore their words). If it feels like an organizer/member wants something more from you than what the meetup advertises ie. trying to control who you date or befriend, expects you to be their personal "lackey", or coerces (every) nightly drinking companions (closet alcoholics.)-- Also if the organizer/member seems to be asking more about your love life or wealth/finances than you feel comfortable sharing...move on! Keep your information/address private no matter how attractive, harmless or charming the people seem. In this wonderful new age of internet connections, its OUR OWN personal responsibility to become more informed about social screening. If you dont know what a 'Narcissist" is, google it. Educate yourself! Feel free to share this review with others you know in meetup groups! Knowledge is the key to our social success in this day in age. You are in control of which social situations are best for you, be informed! Common sense in an anonymous world!

angelah50
10/19/15

I set up a Meetup group, and many people joined at first, but only one or two people would ever RSVP and actually show up. I started getting rid of members who hadn't looked at the page in four months. Members would complain about where the meetups were, and I would change the event to a place they'd go to, and no one would go. I was open to suggestions, and held several meetups at places members suggested, only to have one person show up. Then there are the weirdos. Some of the members just did not make me feel safe to be around based on their comments, and I realised that Meetup doesn't do anything to really check to see who these people really are. I'd love for them to have something that verifies the person's identity and make sure these people are who they say they are. I would get so many new member requests from people with pictures of their room, a cartoon, or some weird name. I would clearly state that they had to have a picture that shows their face, and first name and last initial if they wanted to join, but no, I still got requests like that. I shut it down recently because I was tired of paying per month for no one to show up. I really think if you had to pay just to join Meetup in general, about $5 a month, or were charged a certain amount for each group you join, people would go to more events and take joining groups more seriously. I thought Meetup would be a great way to meet people, but I haven't had a good experience in this area.

rosed39
10/7/15

Help ***********************************************
I am not permitted to attend the Nov. seminars of HSP - Highly Sensitive People. I cannot afford to hire Shirley Z - as my therapist at 60.- an hour.
I am suppose to learn to be kind to myself and others.
What about Shirleys kindness.
I need to learn how to handle my emotions. HSP woman 52.
This is not right. I am on a fixed income
I cannot afford to hire Shirley Z - as my therapist.
So I am shut out.

Shirley Z
Counsellor and Life Coach
drshirley.ca
1-347-699-2244

dallasr14
9/17/15

As a single and attractive professional woman, I am appalled at what is allowed to go on in meetup groups, including groups that charge you to be a member!! In the DFW area, many groups require members to have a clear face shot and answer profile questions as a condition for membership. This is fine and dandy, until you are being harassed at all hours of the day and night by male members. Message after message trickles in, sometimes even ten separate attempts. The boys keep suggesting to blow off the wait listed event, offer phone numbers, and make lewd comments--- even if the female states she is not single in her profile! The sand ni&#er boys are the worst and make one feel so violated. This problematoc behavior is rampant in the Uptown Professionals Group, Dallas Professionals, and Random Events Dallas (RED). The guys are very forward and corner you at events and latch on and refuse to accept no for an answer. I was actually raped and brutally assaulted by a boy in one of these groups, and he left me for dead after stealing my credit cards. The boy has a lengthy criminal record and cannot even obtain a job or Texas CHL due to it. I was granted a pernanent order of protection as a result of the crime.

When I reported it to meetup, they did nothing. Zero. I told the organizer about it, and got no sympathy and was just told that the perpetrator doesn't show up to events very often. Excuse me? So I'm supposed to accept this? Meetup organizers who have no regard for the law and are too much of a pussy to enforce rules? Apparently, meetup doesn't care about the law or safety of its members, since they let criminals continue to lurk around their victims and keep RSVP-ing to events immediately after their victims do. I hate to think if what will happen in the future, but someone will probably get killed, and meetup will just be akin to a Craigslist. The vermin on this site is deplorable, and consists of the most socially awkward of the worst on various dating sites. This was hard for me to write, but I must spread the word to protect other fenales.

rayw34
9/7/15

A recent hike (scramble) into the mountains above Vancouver, Canada turned into a trip from hell. The theme of the day was arrogance, and the condescending remarks began 20 minutes after the meetup group left the parking lot.
The leader of the group was an older guy who didn't seem to be lacking in any social skills, until he attempted to 'educate' the newest member by barking "listen to what I'm saying" less than 30 minutes in. The pearl of wisdom he couldn't wait to share was simply the trail marker. Certainly worth a little awkwardness, I guess.
Never mind that I'd done this same scramble 3 times before. He heard me tell him that. In fact, he only allowed me to join his group because he felt I had enough experience and the right temperament to fit in. Who would have guessed?
An hour later the next lesson was on how to pack an appropriate lunch. Something you'd teach your children, but hey, any information is good information, right?
And on it went. Lessons on how to be a responsible parent, while hiking of course. From childless master to student with two boys. No matter. And then something about how to avoid pushing people beyond their limits, 'appropriate' trail conversations, other such stimulating topics. And all following the theme of arrogance.
Yes indeed, this man had very admirable leadership skills. It must have him taken years to master them, no doubt!
So, finally, nearing the summit, comes the "first real lesson" from master to student. Wind. Yes, that's right, wind. The almight power of wind. The make or break point. How did he say it? "Let me give you your first real lesson."
All prior lessons were rubish, I guess. This was the key you couldn't get anywhere else but from his lips. "Always pay attention to the wind." It's not that I didn't agree. I just couldn't see how anyone might think it was 'my first real lesson.' Crazy me, I guess.
The final straw broke me completely. I totally lost it. We met two young hikers going up as we descended to about a quarter the way down the trail. His commanding 'advice' was to turn around because they simply could not managed it before darkness fell. He seemed to resign his position when they shrugged him off, until of course, in my foolishness, I wished them good luck. Absolutely unacceptable! How dare I do such a thing! Their life was now in my hands, according to my new lord commander. If I'd had a light saber at that point, well, I'm not sure what might have happened. Instead a rapid succession of four letter words spewed out. Verbal diarrhea!!
Damn it!! Why couldn't I give him a smack down like in the movies, 'yo mamma' style! Pathetic really. Sad. He was the level headed one now, and I was crazy. Nobody coming to my defense! Definitely not his mostly silent and agreeable hiking buddy!
Wake up call. Time to join a debate club!

yinghuaz
8/19/15

This story will definitely make people scared using meetup groups. I'm a frequent user of the Seattle Climbing Meetup group (and other meetup groups), and I'm writing about a horrible, crazy, and hostile event that happened to me with this meetup group that involved my driver and Bruce MacLachlan, the organizer on the trip to Smith Rock on 8/6/15. I've climbed many times with this meetup and Bruce and something like this has never happened before, which is why it's extremely shocking what happened to me since I knew Bruce.
The purpose of this story is not to attack anyone but to inform everybody of what happened, and to warn everybody to be cautious of this meetup and to show how Bruce is not at all who he seems to be.
I have met a lot of different people in my life and went traveling overseas by myself for a year, and this is one of the WORST things that has happened to me. Here are the facts of what happened:

1. I went on trips with this meetup many times before and climbed with Bruce. Things have always gone smoothly.

2. It was hard to set up a time to meet with my driver JC since he kept changing the times

3. I texted JC to meet at South Bellevue P&R three times and he was at a different park&ride

4. He told me hours into the drive, “By the way, I have different plans Sunday and I might not be able to give you a ride back. I should've told you earlier.”

5. We stopped at two gas stations before Oregon. Each time JC never filled up his tank full, only a little bit each time.

6. We ran out of gas when we reached the bivy campsite at Smith Rock.

7. When I asked JC, “Why don't you fill up your gas tank full?” JC freaked out and said,
“Seriously?! Are you seriously questioning my decisions right now?”
I said, “Yeah, it's a simple question.”
“Seriously, woman?” JC exclaimed. Yeah, he actually said woman.

8. JC said he almost didn't pick me up before we even met because I was “bargaining” with him what time we had to leave, and that he's the driver and he's doing me a favor and I shouldn't be trying to “bargain” a time with him. I wasn't bargaining a time, I was coordinating. I need to plan ahead and know when to leave! Weird.

9. We drove around for half hour searching for a gas station. It was around 11pm.

10. JC dropped me off at skull hollow camp where the meetup group was supposed to be but he wanted to stay at the bivy site. Now we're officially separated. It was midnight by now.

11. I was stranded the next morning and had to ask a kind stranger to give me a ride to the park. I eventually found Bruce and the others and climbed with them and got a ride with them back to Skull Hollow. Bruce KNOWS by now I have no driver. They went to the bath house and I didn't see them again that night.

12. I was LEFT BEHIND the next morning even though Bruce knew I had no car! I had to ask another stranger to drive me to the park and by now I'm extremely frustrated.

13. Bruce and the others were in the middle of climbing a multipitch route, so I had to wait a couple hours. I planned to talk to Bruce about everything that's happened.

14. When Bruce finally came down I tried to tell him what happened but he cut me off and said
he had to go change his shoes. So I waited a while and Bruce sat down and got settled, started chatting with 3 climbers next to him and showed no signs of coming back. So I walked down and asked to talk to him. Bruce sounded annoyed and tried to brush me off again. He really didn't want to hear me at all.
I started telling him about my incident with JC and seriously barely finished my sentence when Bruce cut me off again and said he doesn't care what happened between us, it's not his problem.

15. I was shocked at his response and this is where things got extremely intense and hostile. I tried explaining again how my driver ditched me and again Bruce yelled, “not my problem!”
I said I was extremely upset how they left me that morning knowing I had no car! Bruce did not understand and was yelling, swearing, and pointing aggressively.

16. Bruce continued attacking me. I said, “So you don't give a $#*! that I was stranded at the camp this morning.” Bruce said, “Yeah, I really don't give a $#*!!”

17. At one point Bruce jumped up and tried to be intimidating, and he even threatened to hit me. He yelled, “I am sick of the sight of you, get the $#*! outta here!!” Not the way an organizer should behave.

18. A long time has passed, and when I went to Bruce again and started talking, Bruce plugged his ears and started singing, “La la la I can't hear you,” like a kindergardener.

19. When I continued talking trying to get him to listen, Bruce stood up and said, “If you don't shut up I'm gonna push you off this cliff!” “I'd like to see you try,” I snapped. It was over at this point.

20. Bruce banned me from the Seattle Climbing Meetup group and removed my comments. Whoopdeedoo

Throughout this trip I felt abandoned, bullied, neglected, disrespected, and worried for my safety. Right from the beginning I felt concerned for my safety when I had that incident with JC. I was alone with a stranger who never fills up his gas tank full and lashed out at me when I questioned his odd behavior, and it was late at night.
It's not right that strangers not from the meetup agreed to help me and were much kinder, and the meetup group itself with people I KNEW refused to help me at all!! I felt completely abandoned and neglected when Bruce and the others KNEW I had no car and left without me the next morning anyways! It made me feel like I didn't matter and was being treated like $#*!.
I am extremely shocked at Bruce's reaction through all this. Here was a guy I climbed with before and on the surface seemed like a cool, friendly guy. I knew him which is why I'm so shocked. I thought he'd be understanding. Goes to show you will never truly know someone until $#*! happens.
The worst thing of all this is how Bruce continued chatting to Ty and the other 3 bystanders as if nothing had happened, as if I was invisible and that I was the crazy one. Everyone was against me. It was a nasty and toxic atmosphere. I felt horrible. I was treated like $#*! this entire meetup and Bruce is totally ok with that. Like he said, “I really don't give a $#*!.” A leader of the meetup group should not be acting this way. It is totally wrong.
IMPORTANT FACT ABOUT MEETUP GROUPS: THE ORGANIZER CAN TAKE DOWN YOUR REVIEWS!! How screwed up is this?!? I posted a negative review of my horrible experience and they took it down! It's a dictatorship. There is no freedom of speech. Oh, and I emailed meetup.com itself about this and they were absolutely no help at all.
Meetup group people are a bunch $#*!s hanging out with other $#*!s. Birds of a feather flock together. I hope this teaches everyone to stay away from meetups!

marks267
8/17/15

I was having some ongoing problems in my 8 year relationship and was leaving my relationship and signed up. A few day later I was called by Tiffany @314-748-7006. She was extremely invasive, pushy and wouldn't take no for an answer over 3 times. Before she got off the phone she asked how long I had been in my relationship, and had the GALL to ask why I hadn't popped the question before now (in a manner that was supposed to be a slam) and as I told her that is my business and got ready to hang up she got another snide comment in. I not only will never consider this service, I am going to report them to the BBB and every forum. What I found most amazing is she is trying to sell and appointment to sell a membership in person. I am in sales and never have I been so man handled, and she talked over me so bad that I finally said OK you talk. I will be doing a reverse lookup and letting the world know your name and # Tiffany. You might want to take some sales seminars on how to treat people and how to listen, which is 90% of sales.
If I could give this service negative stars I would. Tiffany is frustrated because she works for a shady operation and that makes her desperate, pushy, aggressive, and arrogant. All the things most people would run from in a salesperson. Selling memberships (under the guise of Activities Coordinator) Shame on you Tiffany. This is 100% true no sensationalism.. was that poor of an experience. If this is how Meetup.com gets people to join their service.. Good Luck, you'll need it!! Now time to post Tiffany's conversation with me on You Tube. She thought she was going to bully me and make rude and unacceptable comments without reprise.. Guess again the conversation was recorded (for quality assurance of course). :)

richardj5
8/12/15

I'm giving this site more than the lowest rating because it's a way to meet a lot of folks with similar interests fast (and maybe the only way on the Web). Be warned however that signing up will bring tons of spam. The site offers settings that lead one to believe the spam can be controlled, but without creating your own independent filters that's really impossible.

For example, the site will send you solicitations to join additional meetup groups based on what Meetup deems to be your interests. It also invites you to check those interests on a provided list. One would think that the solicitations would be sent according to the interests you've listed--but not so. For example, even though as an atheist I have listed "atheist" and "humanism" and nothing relating to meditation or acting, I've received today a solicitation for a Prayer and Meditation group, and another for The Actors Alliance. In response to my complaints I get double-talk ("...we try to strike a balance between recommendations based on each member's current interests and suggestions for Meetups they might not have thought to seek out themselves").

The above is just one of the many many kinds of spam Meetup will send to members. Some of these can be controlled by settings, but these settings are a challenge to find. For others there are no settings at all, such as the repeated pleas to take over from a group leader who has resigned.

goodc1
7/27/15

I recently posted a weight loss challenge and was VERY clear and direct about what we are doing and when/where it was taking place yet MEETUP thought it was too vague and sent me an email saying it needed to be adjusted. I responded asking what I needed to change to make it accurate with what they want on the site but never responded and instead removed my group from the site COMPLETELY. This would cause me to completely restart creating the group. I can't call any phone number as it or an email to communicate DOES NOT EXIST! Pardon my french but that just sounds like a $#*! HEAD COMPANY

margaretk35
7/26/15

I recently joined this group and was in for nothing but put-downs and judgemental views from the "leader" of the group.
Many people, including myself, stated that events aren't organized and that for a "meet-up" group the organizers don't do much to make that happen.
I'll say!!!
When I couldn't find ANY ONE of the 206 members that went to a festival that occurred recently I voiced my concerns about the fact that there was no meet-up time and no meet-up place...the "owner" of this group had the audacity to tell me that his intent was for this to just be for informational purposes only and that he was "too busy" to deal with the group and that he didn't mean to create it as an event, EVEN though he stated "Come join us" in the headlines and even what headwear he would don in order to be more "recognizable." So there IS an "us"?
After I made my claim about the fact that there was no meetup group to speak of, despite having to RSVP for a "supposed" group meeting in the park, he began creating scenarios in his head, saying I'm not from Calgary so how about he explains to me how "Calgary culture" functions [excuse me!?!?!?!]. He continued to say it was my choice to be sad and miserable [and I said this WHEN?] and that if I wanted to "meet-up" with anyone then I can "feel free" to "volunteer" to wear a sign in order to draw people to me.
I'm sorry, but who picked HIM to be leader of a MEET UP group!?!?! This person goes under the simple name of "Atul", has a short, square face, has a triangular nose, wears sunglasses in his photo and baseball cap. If you do choose to go along and join his group just be aware that it's his way or the highway and anything you try to bring to his intention will not only be put down, but he will put YOU down, DISRESPECT you AND put the ENTIRE blame on YOUR shoulders!
He has written comments [like the ones stated above] to other members and quite frankly, I don't know how the group continues to exist.
So that has been my experience. The choice you make about this group from here on out is yours!!
Oh, and one star is WAY too many for the disrespect and arrogance I experienced. Simply ridiculous!!!!!

paulm204
7/21/15

Nasty, use something else. Someone I know was block in the middle of a meetup. Negative star if it was possible.

jamesm281
6/23/15

One star is too many. Can we give it no stars here?

I'm the owner of a Meetup website (group). This is a PAYED service, but the customer service is the worst I've ever seen or heard of -- which is to say they never actually communicated with me by email when I reported a problem. And they apparently are not accessible by telephone at all (I could not find a customer service phone number for them on their website).

What is more, Meetup apparently prevents users of its messaging service from voluntarily sharing their email address with others in the group via their messaging service! I've had several people respond to my request for their email address by sending that address... which Meetup blocked! in the place of the email address these people sent was five asterisks: *****.

Meetup needs to be replaced by a superior service which offers the same kind of service, only better. Perhaps Meetup themselves will realize this and repair their egregious errors of judgement.

Tip for consumers: Stay away! These folks offer crap, garbage....

kayl263
6/7/15

The concept is a good one. The biggest problem with Meetup is the quality of people, and there's not a whole lot you can do about that. Every Meetup Group that I organized had a lot of people joining. The biggest problem is that people don't show up to events once they join, and they don't let the organizers know if their plans change. And they have no awareness that the organizers are paying to host a Meetup. They get irritated when you ask them to monetarily contribute to keeping the Group running.

I've taken to deleting people from my groups that don't check the page or haven't been to a meeting in 3 months. Everybody's busy, and they should choose activities that they really are going to participate. This is a big help, especially now that Meetup is now charging more money based on members of your group. It's pretty sad when you see groups of 200 people, and only 5 show up at a time to meetings.

Customer Service has been great. Quick response time.

barbb10
5/11/15

Organizer has not held event for over nine months. She has received everyone's dues and then sends out emails that she is too busy to plan events. SCAM ALERT - this is just to get $$$ from dues with no events. There should be some type of audit to check that an Organizer is really doing what she says that her group does on her "meetup page" against the large volume of $$$ that she takes in from several hundred members! Sarbanes-Oxley

mg41

5/15/2014 Billing/Collection Issues | Complaint Details Unavailable
4/24/2014 Problems with Product/Service | Read Complaint Details
Details on last complaint:
Additional Notes

Complaint: My email was changed with meetup.com by a hacker. I called and they said they could not help. They would not give me the email of the person pretending to be me, and stated again that they could not help. Only allowed to email in, which has already been done with Incident #*****and led to an absolute fail of finding a solution. Now, my groups, and one that I organize are subjected to comments I do not make or actions I do not make by someone pretending to be me. Meetup does not care. My credit card/billing information for the monthly dues I pay for organizing the Winning Resume Strategies group is also at huge risk by the person who figured out my password and changed my email in the system.

Desired Settlement: I want meetup to restore the original gmail.com address for my meetup groups and to prosecute the person that hacked into my online identity and assumed it. This is a serious legal matter and the people at Meetup HQ do not seem to understand this since I've been brushed off both via email and phone. Please rectify immediately.

Consumer Response: Better Business Bureau:

I have reviewed the response made by the business in reference to complaint ID ***********, and find that this resolution is satisfactory to me and the matter has been resolved.

Sincerely,

davep54
5/8/15

They have no phone number, no customer service and nothing to offer.

blakeh17
5/4/15

Terrible site and I don't like the meetups.

chrisc157
3/11/15

Nasty people in this group, snotty and exclusive. Don't bother to join. They will make nasty comments about you later on. Mean rotten girls there. Maybe cause they are fatties?

Tip for consumers: Stay away.

sutrob
3/7/15

DISCLAIMER!!! I'm not associated with the group AT ALL!!!! But I witnessed them in action today at SUTRO Baths SF. About 150 amateur photographers shooting. They took over the entire ruins, beach, rocks like little ants with cameras and their music blaring. The main guy (organizer) asked me how long I was going to be on the beach?!? The entire experience was embarrassing to witness and my experience at Sutro was RUINED. I saw a few guys had flashes on tripods with the ocean.. heheheh. wave coming.....

Tip for consumers: If you want to be a photographer! (don't do it) the market is already oversaturated, and the top guys are not going anywhere. If its of Fun, don't go in big groups! your photos will look the same as everyone else's, so be original and find your own style.

danj29
3/6/15

I've seen it work for nerdy singles and some outdoor activity groups. But other than that, the numbers just aren't there. People sign up for groups and never go. Look around and see how many groups with 500+ and even 1000+ people who only have 1 or 2 people showing up to scheduled events.

People don't use the Meetup interface after they've joined. I've seen it myself, and heard this from several people who ran groups and then closed them down.

I took over as organizer of a group from someone who'd started it and decided to leave. I kept it going for almost a year, and even grew it a bit. But the bottom line is, it did not bring people to our meetings.

Use Facebook or set up a website if you want to get something going. Meetup is lame.

leahm15
2/23/15

I started a group and from the get-go they were like big-brother watching everything I typed. They made fun of my name, changed and deleted messages I typed for whatever motive they have. They have no true business model - they don't know themselves the purpose of their site. They are strict on things that they have no right in having a say over, yet are lenient on things that should not get a pass. The bottom line is they want to make money and you are the product. They even put moles in groups to see what they are doing and then steal ideas. I even had a girl from meetup HQ follow me on the bus to see what it was I was intending to do with my group. This is stalking people!!! The HQ is a joke run by teenagers who don't know the meaning of professionalism. I didn't even get a refund for my money. They laugh in your face. They use their cookies and tracking of your computer to see what sites you visit and then contact these sites to tell them not to do business with you. This is the epitome of cyber-bullying. Like I said, teenagers with a platform - only here the bullying is in cyberspace and not on the playground.

Tip for consumers: Run far, far. away from meetup.

mw40
2/21/15

I have been a member of Meetup since 2008 and have met many many friends and had many wonderful experiences as a result of it. I have lived in Los Angeles, San Diego and Orange county and have explored many different groups and met lots of great people through Meetup I seriously dont understand all the negative reviews... am thinking someone has an agenda.

pinolas
2/5/15

Joining a meetup group is a good way to meet some unfriendly people. The organisers of one group I joined were, I suspect, rather immature and certainly behaved unprofessionally in the way they removed me after I attended just one meeting. And I did suspect my face may not have fitted because the group catered for asian interests and they, perhaps, want their own 'space' in this large cosmopolitan city. Who really knows but, if I was removed for that reason, that might raise the question as to whether the group could be misusing the meetup platform and also whether they might be happier in their less tolerant countries of 'origin'. Friendly to your face, and all that. And you might hope that, if a covert discriminatory membership policy was in place, meetup HQ would take a dim view of that.

karens90
1/27/15

I have joined 6 different groups that are all based on walking and hiking. On occasion, we have gone out for breakfast or lunch after. I have met so many nice people through meetup and have discovered so many new canyons, lakes, vista points, I could go on. Now that I have a nice repor with so many different people, Its easy to find someone going to the beach, mountains, or desert in California, depending on which direction that day I want to walk/hike.
I also noticed a lot of people who have moved here from different countries or states utilize meetup for just this purpose. It's very cool to meet others from around the world!

Tip for consumers: You get what you put into it. Be nice, and others are nice to you.

susans112
1/24/15

Our Meetup has been operating for many years now. We have 700+ members on record but 100+ are active due to the nature of our group. We are a private meetup offering support therefore, our members are screened before they are accepted to ensure they are joining for the right reason and not confusing us with a singles group. We have 3 people on the leadership team and a social events organizer. We meet monthly to discuss specific topics and also try to get guest speakers. We also meet weekly in smaller groups. The feedback we get is wonderful however, we have had to deal with difficult members and have had to ban a select few but it is done after speaking with the person and giving a second chance. We cannot please everyone nor can we help everyone who comes to us.

There are many Meetups out there that anyone can start with their own agenda. I don't think Meetup overall should be blamed; it is the individual organizers who give it a bad rep.

belindal3
1/23/15

Being banned from groups is not a fun thing. I was banned three in the past few years - the first one was by a girl who bans people without notice based on her personal feelings and needs. If she suddenly doesn't like how you act or say, or if you do something to annoy her, you are gone! This person was a friend of mine too! The second group I got banned because the guy did not like that I was not interested in him. I didn't realize it was the same one I had met in another group. When he made his own group, he went all highschool popular crowd on me and decided to ban me because I didn't reflect the same feelings he had. The third group was the worst - after being on the members list for a few years and enjoying the outings, I came across an individual last year who waited until the end of the night to dance with me, hope that I was drunk, tried to get very close to me on the dance floor and then decide to go to the bathroom and not come back to meet me. I found him later and he said he was not feeling well. I understood but didn't get why he never came back to find me. One or more years later I didn't realize he was the same guy beceause he had changed his look, hair etc. and he did the exact same thing but worse including trying to get me drunk etc.. He did this on New Years and acted so close with me, opened up to me and treated me like a long term girlfriend - everyone was asking where 'my boyfriend" went once he again went to the washroom and didn't come back. This time he claimed he was drunk, tired, he needed to find his friend and I asked whether he came with someone and needed a ride home. He said no. He went up to a blond and then started talking with her. The walked around and started dancing with a group as if he I never existed and I was sitting in front of him. He then danced with another girl. He then started dancing on his own, then walked over to the same blonde right behind me so I could see and started to do the same thing he did with me, but now with her. I told her he was a player, she rejected him immediately. He flipped out, started yelling and telling me I had no right to do that! I told him he ruined my New Years and hurt me and now I didn't want her to get hurt the same way. I apologized for acting like a child and tattling on him, but he was still yelling and so I apologized a few more times (stupidly). He then said he was drunk, and then got himself a drink and said "I need to go find my other friend" and I got his number after I deleted it before. I realized he meant he was going to try to get it going with another girl and another girl and yet another through the night and play the same tricks and I told him to never talk to me or contact me ever again!!!! he later sent a text, if I left or not...and I had left. I had a horrible night. He played every trick in the book to make my defenses come down, act like he has found the one, kissing my forehead and nose, holding me hand sitting down walking, dancing etc. and then got me banned from his friends group out of spite! This site does not protect people from dangerous or violent or dr. jekyl mr. hyde personalities.. it does nothing for women who are preyed upon by sick men.
There is no customer service and no care in the world if you report someone.

Tip for consumers: Be careful who you meet at meetup. Usually you will see people who are very nice or seriously messed up or want to play out their high school fantasy of being popular or some sick perverted folk.

laurac69
1/23/15

I can't pay my organizer dues on Meetup, so I am going to lose my group. This, after I've been on automatic pay for an entire year. And they have no mechanism to take my credit card number other than by computer - and their payment screen doesn't work. Now they are asking me to clear all the cookies off my computer to see if that helps. It's so frustrating. They need some good competition. Is there another website that does the same kind of thing?

Tip for consumers: Be prepared to spend some time figuring things out...and in the end, you may not be able to resubscribe.

maddieh2
1/1/15

I initially signed up to join a Christian group for under 35s here in Melbourne, Australia. Ii have been rejected TWICE! The female group leader, I think, seemed desperately jealous and threatened by me...just by my picture (one of my daughter and myself). My personal stats did not breach the groups rules. I've never been married, divorced, engaged etc. I simply wanted to meet like minded folk...and I never imagined to be harshly judged, or rejected, by supposed loving Christians. Pfft. That woman is a joke. She wants only what SHE considers, "ugly" Christian women to join. Anyone else, get ready for rejection.

Tip for consumers: Don't bother joining this group. This woman is a fake. She clearly states that it's not a dating group, but yet she is utterly threatened by decent looking women.

janetd8
12/31/14

Wow, Meetup really sucks! High fees and NO customer service. I was having a problem contacting the owner of a group via Meetup's e-mail system. I sent a message to them (had to wait two days for a response) and then received a short message from them that accused me of being a spammer. (I was trying to contact ONE owner of ONE group). When I responded back with the facts, they never responded. What a bunch of *(&^-heads!

After looking around online, I'm going to use GroupSpaces or BigTent. Listing here in case anyone else is also looking for alternatives.

jessicab60
12/10/14

Meetup is the worst company ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried to contact them for help with stopping a payment and their response time and system was an absolute joke! it's obvious that no one works together and I kept receiving emails from different people asking me for different things and then when I would respond that person would never get back to me and then when I would write another upset email I would just get a new person asking for the same thing, it took about a month to get anywhere and then they just told me they could not help! It's ridiculous that this company is too lazy to have any type of phone service to help their members, they could not understand the situation through email but yet I could not even have the chance to explain it over the phone! And they say they have great email customer service! That could not be further from the truth, I flit like I was dealing with untrained circus monkeys instead of people! This company just wants to take all of the credit, and take your money and have absolutely no responsibility! Their departments don't communicate at all, and they literally just don't want to deal with any drama so they use the cop out that they are just the middle man!! You have seriously pissed me off and I will try to spread the word about your company anywhere I can and as often as I can! You treat your members like crap and I think other have a right to know!

Tip for consumers: DON'T USE THIS SITE, Just contact the group you like directly or find them on Facebook, meetup is one of many outlets for groups, and they usually have pages on multiple sites! and don't pay any dues through them! you can pay an organizer directly! YOU DON'T NEED MEETUP!!!!!!!

bam35
12/7/14

Wow! A lot of negative reviews on here . . . . I notice most of the naysayers tend to focus on an incident or anecdotal happening
my experiences have been pretty good especially if you link up with one that is active and has a few organizers and not just one or two. I n my homecity in Canada there is a wide selection to choose from and the larger general activities Meet-Ups have a wide following and a number of events. I've some good acquaintances and widened my social circle far more easily than striking up conversations in a bar.
I've traveled to other cities for and looked up local meet up group(s) and just show up and they've all been welcoming. Some may charge a couple dollars but I understand that there are costs associated with hosting the site and I'm fine with that.

louisea8
12/5/14

My stalker found me through Meetup.com because of their lax Privacy Policies in which case they did nothing to ban her from the site. Organizers don't want to deal with the "drama" so they ignore any requests for bans. And, because anyone can start a group with no guidelines or expectations set in place by Meetup.com for Organizers, Organizers can chose to do whatever they want without reprocutions, such as ignoring pleas for help.

FYI: If your name is used for your account or if your name is listed in any comments in any group, you will come up in any online search of your name and every single group you are a member of will show up. This is a great way for stalkers, employers, or anyone else to find you!

Mine did this, and then proceeded to sign up for every group I was a part of, then proceeded to slander me in groups, and act like she was going to show up to an event - only to never show up, but only psych me out from attending anything fearing she'd be there.

Did Meetup do anything? Nope.

Tip for consumers: In this day and age, when our information and privacy, is a thing of the past, and companies like this chose to do nothing to better protect the online identity of their patrons, I really do believe there are other, more effective ways to go out and have fun and meet new people than heavily relying on sites like this.

I can better protect myself and my information "off-line" and "in person" through other means than through online sites that don't care what victims of stalkers go through.

sheilat11
11/23/14

a haven for predatory men to go after young women, and those who are new in town. also a great way for said men to hold meetups at bars where they know the bartenders/bar owners, make commission off drinks purchased by people attending the meetup, and cover up for anyone who wishes to slip date rape drugs into the drink of any female meetup attendees.

at a meetup i went to i was roofied. it was a langauge-speaking meetup of all things, on a saturday night at a bar in a large city. it was a small group and we were in a small, uncrowded bar. i arrived alone at 9pm, and introduced myself the the organizer who smiled and welcomed me and made sure i ordered a drink. he asked if i was new in town, if i knew anyone else, and when i said no, he introduced me to the rest of the group. total at the meetup that night was: myself, the meetup organizer, two of his friends, and two men who had not come together. everyone was standing at the bar talking.

i ordered a rum and coke, which was small and not strong, and drank it as i talked with the group. half hour later, i ordered a second one. my last memory of the night is sipping on my halfway full drink, while standing at the bar. my next memory, which would be 12 hours later, was when i woke up the next day on the floor of a strange apartment, covered in vomit and dirt, and with bruises, and my whole body hurting.

i soon realized i was in the apartment of one of the men who i had been talking to at the bar, and i started to panic. i got up and found my things, which were on a table. the man said he would help me and that he had brought me there because i had been falling down "drunk" at the club the night before. i told him that i had no memory of anything. my head was pounding and i could barely form concrete sentences, so all i told him was that i wanted to go home. i was scared and wanted to get away as quickly as possible. he called a cab and i went home in the cab.

i was sick for 3 days afterwards, unable to get out of bed, my whole body hurt and i had no energy. at the time i had no medical insurance either, so i was unable to do testing to find out what i had been given. i did go to a low cost clinic and they told me i clearly was drugged with something. i tried calling to do a police report but kept on getting recorded messages, and was told that i would need to come to police station to file a report. since i had no clear evidence (like lab tests) i couldn't prove that i had been drugged. so i didn't file a report.

i later learned that the organizer frequently holds meetups at bars where he is friends with the bar owners. one bar even has a drink named after him. he has 9 different meetups which are supposed to be specific interest groups, but they always meet at bars for happy hour or club nights. i think that a friend of the organizer must have roofied me, and the organizer, seeing how incapacitated i was, got rid of me by sending me home with a strange man, rather than calling 911.

months later i worked up the courage to go to another meetup and confront the organizer about what happened. he recognized me immediately and even remembered my name. he was very apologetic from the start and asked how i was. i asked why on earth would he have put me in a cab with a strange man, when he knew i came to the meetup alone and that everyone there was a stranger to me? he said that he thought i was really drunk and that the man had offered to take care of me. he said i had been falling down on the ground. when i asked why he didn't call 911, and why he got rid of me by putting me in a cab with a stranger, all he could say to me was "sorry" and then he offered to buy me a drink to make up for it.

i could have died, if i had been given a higher dose of the roofies. as i said, i woke up covered in vomit. i am very angry that this happened to me and it was over a year ago. i think this man knew what was going on and that one of his friends drugged me, but they didn't expect me to have such a violent reaction (profuse vomiting and falling down)

stay away from meetups!

Tip for consumers: be extremely careful. meeting people this way is not much better than meeting them on craig's list. also you will get stalkers who will see your profile and stalk you when you sign up for another meetup, they will know that you're going to be there and they will show up to stalk you.

angelosc1
11/5/14

It is a very good site to organize a meeting in your city where people from different backgrounds are welcome to join. One way is to organize a facebook event but another is to use this tool to organize it for people who don't have facebook accounts and don't want to get involved too much in facebook to attend events.

My personal experience: great

newy7
10/8/14

I was an organizer of a few groups for a few years and hosted around 100 events with 95% having great reviews. When a few female members who were psychotically jealous of me because they were desperate cougars and the men were attracted to me and not them decided to start ruining my events meetup kicked me off the site (claiming that I was barred for life). After what I went through dealing with the mentally unstable and desperate people of New York City that are a part of meetup (had to call the police twice, strangers started yelling for no reason at events, adults over-drinking and puking on others, stalkers, people not paying for their meals, really sleazy and creepy men, etc. etc. you wouldn't believe what I've witnessed) there's NO WAY IN HELL that I would ever want to be a part of this site ever again. Not one employee at meetup ever asked for my side of the story- what a horrible business with extremely poor customer support. Back in the day... crazy people like this were sent to lunatic asylums... now they all belong to meetup.com.

Tip for consumers: Join meetup.com if you want to meet highly unstable New York City lunatics who are unable to meet friends in real life or are extremely cheap and won't pay for their share.

annettet5
10/1/14

I tried to organize a few meetups with no success ,so I didn't want to waste my time or money anymore and attempted to unsubscribe as an organizer and stop my cc deductions. An almost impossible feat. They charged my credit card again and once again I'm trying to stop my membership. Phone calls not accepted and emails not answered. BEWARE!

Tip for consumers: It sounds like a good idea,but I had no success.

laurah49
9/24/14

I don't get all the bad reviews? I agree when I was in Canada some of the groups charged for events, but most didn't. In Australia, none of my groups charge for events unless the event costs money, eg a ticket to something. You just get to go, meet awesome people and my social life has now expanded. In some cases we get to go and get free stuff. As a woman, you have to be careful of the weekend events that creepy older men treat as dating events though. Go to girls nights and groups for people who've just moved to the city. I've made so many friends through meetup.

12 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Meetup staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question