US Government's NSF

25%
140 New Montgomery Street, Floor 19
San Francisco, CA 94105
info@lumosity.com

People interested in Lumosity are also interested in:

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

brendam28

Have been on lumosity for a couple years and have had no problems and found their customer service to be good ... (in 31 reviews)

theog10

They release new games, new challenges and recently launched the mobile app. (in 64 reviews)

gbryans

If you want to join and are not sure you are going to like it, pay with a credit card. (in 17 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

cs104
8/23/15

I set up the train game only to have the trains redirected. Similar problems with a few other games. The problem started win I changed "automatic renewal" to do not renew and I completed a test once and wouldn't do it a second time. Reverse billing is illegal in Canada.

stevej88
7/31/15

Waste of time.

brianf56
7/11/15

I seldom offer an unsolicited opinion but when I saw the reviews posted on your site I decided I would. First, 50,000,000 people use it.That is an incredible number and the quality of Lumosity's program based on this alone speaks so loudly I can't hear what the naysayers are saying. 2nd, Since the beginning of time the almost urgent recommendation from the medical community has been to continue to use your brain for something besides tv or the latest spy novel. Crosswords Soduko, brain teasers are all helpful.But Lumosity offers so much more. Structure, accountability, challenge, and fun. And I've never had any problems with the service. Zero, it's always been 100%

dickm17
6/3/15

Just measures how much faster you can play the same old games. Only thing I use it for is to see how focused I am on a particular day or time of day. Mind game? Mindless fun is more like it.

Ask $#*! about Lumosity
judiths28
6/1/15

I have been using Lumosity regularly for a couple years after receiving chemo and radiation. When I first started I could not remember 3 numbers in sequence, people's names, passwords and some words.
When I use it regularly I notice a huge improvement. I'm up to remembering 18 numbers, 80% of my passwords (if I have not used them in a long time than retreaval is still hard) but the results pay off every day for me. If I take an extended leave from practice I notice this in my daily work. This program has been a godsend.

Tip for consumers: If you don't practice regularly, 3-4 x week, you may not notice any change. It takes time and practice to retrain the brain.

thomasp43
5/31/15

They draw you in and then start trying to sell you a million things.

melindas9
5/28/15

I paid for a family membership but only one person was able to play even thou I played family membership. They charged my American Express twice in one month. Can not reach human at this so called company.
I called American Express and had the charges removed and talked with soemone at the fraud dept and they have blocked them from charging my account.

They claimed if you joined you would have access to other games which was also a lie!

carolinem19
5/19/15

Some of their games need calibrating properly, e.g. 'Train of Thought'. I have told them that when level 13 is reached, their calibration makes it impossible to go up to the last level. I have tried so many times I have lost count. If they were calibrating train lines in real life, then there would be multiple crashes, people unable to get on the trains because they whizz past stations etc. etc. They need to experience the real world when devising these games, then they would know how to set up a game properly. I have complained several times now, and to be honest, they just suck as they assure me of this that and the other, but never make the necessary changes. Yet want me to give them the thumbs up for their customer service!!

mickeyp3
5/6/15

This company is the pits. I have a brain tumor with increasing vision problems. I tried to close out my account. When I went through the process of ending one's subscription I had no luck following their instructions, so I sent them a note telling them I wanted to drop my account. No response, and it just happened again. My second year in a row. Trying to leave this scam of a company just feels like I'm going nowhere fast. I will persist and be a real pain in the derriere till I get some response from this company

christinas30
4/24/15

Lumosity urges people to Log in to see what it's about. When you log in, they say they need us to set up an account. Then, as another reviewer says, after a few games, you discover that you have to purchase a plan to use it. This is HIGHLY DECEPTIVE. Next come the email messages asking if we forgot something and "to FINISH" the purchase of a premium plan when there WAS NO attempt to purchase anything. Again, at least one reviewer has reported the same problem.
If you just checked it out and found yourself purchasing a plan OR being CHARGED illegally for something you didn't purchase, I URGE YOU TO CONTACT YOUR STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL OFFICE. If enough people report this HIGHLY deceptive advertisement practice and possibly illegal practice, they may be forced to stop.
Christina

maryb167
4/18/15

I am stuck with playing only a few of the games because the instructions/demos for the new games are confusing or missing key elements. Whoever devises these games needs to learn HOW TO EXPLAIN them and/or DEMONSTRATE clearly! I realize communication is not the forte of gamers, but the company needs to rethink their personnel choices and have several different type thinkers on staff to troubleshoot games before they send them out to subscribers.

morgaineg
4/12/15

I signed up, but all the games were locked for me unless I bought the premium package. I am sure they need income for their efforts, but I never saw or heard in the commercial that I would need to pay to play. Misleading to me.

donnam61
3/31/15

My account was charged $80 without my authorization. When I found out, I contacted their customer service about the unauthorized charge. They responded by email saying the best they can do is not to charge me again next year!! I am very disappointed. I thought they are a reputable company. I should not have trusted them.

dn19
3/22/15

I saw the ads so I went to the website. I had to sign up for "free access" and then sent immediately to the subscription page. There was not even a sample page. I'd never buy anything sight unseen so this was a fail.

lilan1
3/2/15

Honestly, they probably deserve around 4 stars, but since this site seems to be filled with people who don't understand basic concepts- like how to contact a business, how a subscription works, how to use an app-- or even how to write... I want to help them balance these idiotic reviews....

Look, I've used the site for a little bit- I pay for a monthly subscription and have had NO ISSUE bouncing between multiple computers as well as my iPad. Every time I sign in as me- it counts me as me and I can access the full catalog. Do I know for certain that it's helping my brain? Meh, maybe not as much as they say- but certainly as much as Brain Age on my DS did. The games are fun and quick. If you want something to play that may or may not help your brain but will always be working to challenge you- it's a decent product (not a scam... seriously? Do you honestly not know how to delete an app??)

If I had one issue it's that the whole set of games should be available on your iPad- especially for the price which leans towards expensive in my opinion. But other than that I'm entirely satisfied. I genuinely think at least some of the reviews on here are people who the app couldn't help if it wanted to.

People- if a company is legitimately charging you without your consent- file a claim with your credit card, it's not rocket science.

kt34
2/19/15

I could go on but it will waste my time. Do UR research. Really it was a waste of time.

jnettc
2/15/15

Some of these games were obviously made up by men, especially the spatial details games which give you very little info & NOT ENOUGH TUTORIAL on how to play B4 testing you. Very frustrating! Hope you get more women developers on board soon. Also I'm guessing ur comparative results r NOT very accurate since ur not showing results of men & women separately. NEWSFLASH: womens brains are different than men's and we learn and think differently.

kathleenm34
2/9/15

Paid for yearly subscription. Used it for 1 month, then got a new computer. Logged in to game and to my surprise some games were locked. Said I had to pay for new subscription again. Rip off.

brians123
2/2/15

My wife was a subscriber to lumosity, she passed away over 2 yrs ago, i unsubscribed from them about 2yrs ago or so i thought?
I had not heard from them for 2yrs then on my last credit card statement they have taken $98Aus out, NOT HAPPY!!! sent them emails etc no response!!! had to cancel my card, what a pain in the arse!!!
I will be telling anyone who talks to me about them about my disgraceful experience with them!!!

Tip for consumers: DO NOT sign up unless you want to have to cancel your credit card!!!

kristenh12
1/24/15

DO NOT USE LUMOSITY! They stink. Honestly - I signed up for one month in JULY 2014 and am still (JAN 2015!) trying to get them to stop charging me the monthly fee. Such a scam. HORRIBLE company.

elaineg15
1/21/15

I subscribed but was unable to access the games. Kept getting msg that I was not a member. However, my Discover was charged $59.95. I called the Lumosity phone listed and got an automated msg referring me to the online site. I went online and filed my complaint and got no reply. So I called again, and again, and again....automated phone msg each time referring me to the website. All of this time, months, I am unable to get into the games...getting the same message that I am not a member. Finally I email Lumosity stating that I will be appealing the charge to Disco ver. Magic......I get three replies in 2 days. The first states that I cannot be found as a paying member. I send the information to them with a copy of the Discover charge. I asked for cancellation and a refund. The reply from Lumosity was that my 30 days was up and I could not be refunded. Never mind that I had not been able to access the games!! Discover accepted the dispute and told me that they receive many complaints from Lumosity customers. Discover also suggested that I contact my attorney general and the Calif attorney general about this, which I intend to do tomorrow. This company is inaccessible because they want to be!! Some customer service, huh? No service after the sale!

vasv1
1/8/15

Doesn't get any worse than this. It's a scam in terms of payments and their refund policies. They clearly take advantage of the well intended user...stick to 2048 or any one of the thousands of free apps available online. STAY AWAY FROM LUMOSITY.

Tip for consumers: SCAM!

sams171
1/2/15

I'm doing this review because of Lumosity's unethical subscription renewal methods.
I subscribed in July for one month, and turned the Auto renewal off. Despite that, i got charged for a new month in August. I contact them, they apologize for the mistake and give me a refund.
I did another subscription in December and made SURE that the auto renewal is off. What happened at the beginning of January? I get charged for a new month anyway and now I have to contact costumor service again.
I think this is a deliberate act from Lumosity's side to trick people into new months subscriptions without their consent, under the impression that it was a mistake.
They misused my credit card info without my consent.
I'm not going to deal with them anymore.

jimb140
1/1/15

Bull$#*!. Says you get a free fit test, you fill everything out, then the only option is to pay for the full thing. What a load of crap. Only reason its 2 stars not 1 is the site is pretty nicely made and seems quality in that regard.

toml66
12/29/14

This is the message I received when I logged in. This is after 11 months of use. Glad I did not sign up for another year.

In order to use Lumosity, you must be using a current version of Adobe's Flash Player.

Download the latest version of Flash Player.

(Ipad does not support Flash Player)

richards118
12/29/14

Read a lot of negative reviews here. I just had a great experience with them. Didn't know I had signed up for automatic renewal of a family plan that only 1 person was actually using. They quickly corrected the problem and issued a refund.

karenf31
12/29/14

THIS IS A VIRUS!!!! I downloaded thought it was a free game but then they want me to pay for an account. I cannot get it off my phone or tablet and it is constantly downloading things. I've asked customer service to help me get it off but since I didn't pay for an an account I can't!!!! I am stuck with the thing forever downloading.

gerards18
12/28/14

I love this site! The games are straight out of lots of IQ, memory, neuropsych, and visual-motor integration tests that I administer. They are fun, addictive and definitely keep you on your toes. The only blatant drawback I see is that if the games are standardized (mean =10, SD=15 etc..) when comparing yourself to others practice effect would be a significant confounding variable. However, I'm sure the comparative measure is purely for entertainment purposes. So tell the budding lumogame junkies not to put MENSA on the speed dial just yet.
The graphics are retro, the response on my IPAD is awesome and I haven't had any technical problems with the site at all. Also, you can play three games a day, each as often as you like without joining and if your up late at night, sometimes you have free open access to all the games. Oops, that may not last too long.
Anyway, I really enjoy LUMOSITY, check it out, it's a bit challenging in the beginning but once you get the hang of it.....

FOR FELLOW PSYCHOMETRICIANS: It's BRIEF, STROOPISH, NEPSYISTIC, WISCTASTIC, AND WRAMLISH, and suitable for TONI, most Pearsons as well as KAUFMANIACS!

Tip for consumers: Addiction potential is very high!

annab120
12/25/14

one of my favourite mind training websites. It never gets boring! I like that I can see the progress of my training and that the variety of games is amazing. I enjoy seeing my score improving steadily. Before gving you the daily task they ask you about your mood and how much sleep did you get, it really effects the results. When I came to know about this service I bought one month full access which was not that expensive ($11). I loved how they chose taks for me and I was satisifed with my results. However, after that month I use the service for free and can also use it every day. howeve, I no longer have access to all the the games, which is sad as they are really great. Thinking of buying the full access again. Importatnt - when I made the payment, they set my account to auto renew, it meant that they were going to charge me every month. Be sure to cancel that option in your settings if you want to pay for only one month.

Tip for consumers: Importatnt - when I made the payment, they set my account to auto renew, it meant that they were going to charge me every month. Be sure to cancel that option in your settings if you want to pay for only one month.

donnas54
12/24/14

I am furious with this company. I thought the cost was a one-time fee. They auto-renewed my service during a time when I was not watching my bills closely due to my husband's health problems. When I called them to cancel, they said I was on the hook for another year. I do not believe they provided fair or adequate notice at the time of the original sale or at the time of the renewal. Someone should sue them over this as I believe it is intentional. Given the characteristics of the population to whom they are marketing, it is especially aggregious. Also, it is highly questionable whether science even supports this crap.

appys
11/20/14

WORST.CUSTOMER.SERVICE.EVER.
I enjoyed playing the games. Whether my brain improved or not, is debatable.
Trouble started when I discovered that my account was being accessed by someone else. Lumosity was of no help. Even after repeated requests, they have not suspended my account, nor provided a refund. Utterly unhelpful customer service. They're blaming me for giving out my password to someone.
They lack the basic measures of security available on ANY website these days - lock the account after 5 incorrect password attempts. They don't have device authorization like Netflix or Facebook does.
Beware of what you're getting into. There is no way to contact customer service except email. And they take DAYS to reply.
Took my money and evading a refund now.

Tip for consumers: Don't expect to get any customer service or any modern security measures on this website.

lauram68
11/19/14

This company gives you daily brain exercises. For this service they ask that you pay for a year in advance. I did pay a year in advance and after 60 days realized this was not going to be a positive thing for me. The programs would not download to my Apple and I was in a daily struggle to download. I did receive their assistance explaining what to do to enhance the download process but it was a daily event that I could no longer deal with. I requested my money back for the 10 months I will not be using this program. They refused. What can I say. They scammed me for $40.00. I would not pay for this program for a year if you have any doubts about using it for they will not refund your money.

bubblyb
11/17/14

impossible to contact a person. Don't let them get any of your information. Rip off

Tip for consumers: Don't

bradleyn8
11/12/14

I used Lumosity for about 4 months. I assessed myself with tests like Quantified Mind. There was no difference. I thought I was improving but I was only getting better at the games.

rebeccad11
11/7/14

I love lumosity. My family have been using it for nearly 2 years and my mind has improved incredibly. My word recall is so much better. I've noticed dramatic improvement in my multitasking and problem solving in real life situations. I have also noticed significant improvements in my children's mental alertness (12 and 8) when they do it regularly. Only downside is that the games for mobile devices are too limited. We use the PC.

Tip for consumers: Not worthwhile if you plan to use a mobile device.

alysons1
11/7/14

I don't even have an account with these people but cannot get off of their emailing list. I've block their domain and addresses but they still get through! Anyone have an ideas?

timothys31
11/1/14

Get things right with the company is a real pain. The little test they give in a pre-test post test type situation is meaningless. Unless you are on top of what it is about you can end yp loikr me, going backwards. Their recalibration of ones scores was very odd. It seems that their statistics were way off up front, then they tried to correct them mid-flight. If one was attempting to get better at whatever it is, the recalibration changed all of that.

I think the games work on keeping your mind nimble and it forces focus. Being retired focus seems to waves a great deal. All in all enjoyable.

Tip for consumers: Keep at it. Try all of the games.

mr211
10/30/14

I need more games for IPad. I think there are just 5 or 6 BORED! Expensive! Would be best to be able to choose games that would be individualized to users' needs. In other words, if I score low in memory, then I would like more games that increase memory.

francisd13
10/29/14

As a senior I was drawn to the idea that exercising my brain would help ward off issues in old age. I tried Lumosity but cancelled membership well within the thirty day cancellation period. One year later I received a charge for a new subscription. Upon looking into it I find that they did not return my earlier fee the year before and were now charging me for a new membership. Their excuse was they did not receive my cancellation notice. They refunded my new fee but refused to refund the fee for the previous year even though they admitted they checked my account and saw that it had not been used since within the cancellation period. Bad bad business particularly when you try to draw in seniors with your product. Be ware is all I can say. This company cares nothing about the good of individuals and only about profits.

Tip for consumers: If you try it and cancel be sure you get something from them in writing that states they received your cancellation. If not you will never get your money refunded

stevenm85
10/23/14

I was into using Lumosity the first moths and my family showed interest so I upgraded to the family plan. My family used it for a bit and then quit. There was no email that the auto renewal and I had stopped using it when I discovered a cc bill for $130 renewal. I contacted them to at minimum downgrade to a single membership and a pro-rated refund but they wouldn't. Even thought I had my case escalated to manager they didn't budge. Honestly the games get boring and the more you use it the better your score gets. Don't know that you get smarter, but you might feel as so. If you sign up be sure to turn off auto renewal - they will probably offer you a deal at the end of your year to stay hooked up.

Tip for consumers: turn off Auto Renewal in your member settings. If you forget about Lumosity at least you won't get dinged for another years service

daven17
10/21/14

The site seemed like a good way to help improve my memory and attentiveness, but after 6 weeks my scores on "the brain test" dropped by over 10 points. Why? because the applications are so erratic that it was impossible to navigate through them so the clock ticked away while waiting for something (anything) to happen. When I requested a refund due to this poor performance, I was told it's beyond 30 days and we don't give you anything after that. Poor applications, poor service. Stay far away.

jonn161
10/13/14

SCAM Read the rest of the reviews SCAM

Tip for consumers: It's a SCAM

chrisn20
10/12/14

this site is such a scam, the ads are so annoying, keep poping up in sites playing automatically. I mean the games are fun, but don't really find it that useful. stop scamming people.

kalleh
10/11/14

All of the sites negative reviews are not fair, the thing is:

Ive been on lumosity for two months, and I'm a student and I feel there's so much more I now learn, I havn't tried their custumer service, since I've had absolutely no problems with the website. But, as some reviews say it is thin on content to their mobile app. But if you feel like you want to train and get better you should absolutely sign up for their free trials.

jayj31
10/10/14

The Lumosity games are great fun. Whether they actually help keep your brain intact is probably debatable. But their customer service has got to be the WORST in the industry! Terrible! Unresponsive! Unhelpful! There is no way to reach them except by email, and they take days to respond. I can't recommend them for that reason alone.

Tip for consumers: Make sure you know what you are signing up for. Be prepared not to receive any help or assistance in any way regarding your account.

dianas29
10/9/14

I bought a year subscription, it was okay. I now have a career and don't have the time for it. I had totally forgotten about it. No courtesy email regarding my subscription being renewed, just all the sudden the money gone from my account. I called the bank in a panic. To lumosity's credit, I got the refund in five minutes, but.... really really deceptive!

lisao12
10/1/14

Only giving one star for 2 reasons:
1) The games rarely change and are boring. Playing them every day became so rote and not at all brain-building that I gave up. Bought the family plan (stupid, stupid) and each of my family members came to the same conclusion.
2) They apparently buried the auto-renewal clause DEEP in the Terms and conditions (I am the freak who reads those things start to finish) because I never found it. In July AMEX alerted me to potential CC fraud - through process, couldn't see all charges from July - mid Sept until late September and found the $130 auto-renewal posted in mid-July. Their policy is they will refund if within 30 days. I asked for the refund under special circumstances (CC fraud/identity theft) but they flatly refused, even after escalation to a "manager", sticking strictly to their refund policy without consideration for my circumstances.

Would not recommend this to anyone!

Tip for consumers: Don't do it. Games get boring, the price is WAY too high and the customer service stinks!

luanns1
9/30/14

There advertisement is not what you actually get. It's the same brain games, over and over again. It's really boring and predicable.
I paid for a one year subscription, and after 2 months got really board with it. Not a challenge for me anymore. I asked for a refund for the remainder of the subscription.

But, after 30 days they do NOT issue refunds. Not even pro-rated refunds.
They certainly didn't make that very clear. I expected the 30 day rule to apply for the month used, not for the full advanced payment.

My advice Don't purchase Lumosity! It's boring, repetitive and not customer friendly.

I will be telling everyone I can about my very bad experience with Lumosity.

lindak46
9/30/14

I am so frustrated with this program I am thinking of asking for a refund! It doesn't work only about zone third of the time. Didn't have any problems until I updated it about a week ago.

brendam28
9/18/14

I just don't understand the negative reviews ... Have been on lumosity for a couple years and have had no problems and found their customer service to be good ... Asked them a functionality question one time. I find that the site has helped me increase my ability to focus and concentrate and really use it a lot. I suspect it's also helped me recover from an auto accident concussion i suffered. No complaints - I recommend it without reservation for those interested in optimizing concentration.

6 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Lumosity staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Is Lumosity good or bad?
9/10/11
Answer
judiths28
A: It is neither good or bad. Your intention for using it and frequency of practice determine if it will help you in a positive way. Some people will not be very challenged because their mental function is already very high. But for those who are having cognitive challenges it can be a huge help. I have read many articles that show that improving memory, task handling. Etc. help people who are starting to decline. You can do a web search for info. But for me the best proof has been in improvement of my mental functions post chemo.
3 weeks ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Q: If you play the games you choose yourself and not the allocated games can you still improve your scores. Also are self chosen games added on to the amount of days played in a month?
Answer
kalleh
A: Yes and yes!
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the Lumosity staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

Sites for Brain Games – Reviewed By Consumers