US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

brendam28

Have been on lumosity for a couple years and have had no problems and found their customer service to be good ... (in 28 reviews)

theog10

They release new games, new challenges and recently launched the mobile app. (in 53 reviews)

gbryans

If you want to join and are not sure you are going to like it, pay with a credit card. (in 14 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

kristenh12
1/24/15

DO NOT USE LUMOSITY! They stink. Honestly - I signed up for one month in JULY 2014 and am still (JAN 2015!) trying to get them to stop charging me the monthly fee. Such a scam. HORRIBLE company.

elaineg15
1/21/15

I subscribed but was unable to access the games. Kept getting msg that I was not a member. However, my Discover was charged $59.95. I called the Lumosity phone listed and got an automated msg referring me to the online site. I went online and filed my complaint and got no reply. So I called again, and again, and again....automated phone msg each time referring me to the website. All of this time, months, I am unable to get into the games...getting the same message that I am not a member. Finally I email Lumosity stating that I will be appealing the charge to Disco ver. Magic......I get three replies in 2 days. The first states that I cannot be found as a paying member. I send the information to them with a copy of the Discover charge. I asked for cancellation and a refund. The reply from Lumosity was that my 30 days was up and I could not be refunded. Never mind that I had not been able to access the games!! Discover accepted the dispute and told me that they receive many complaints from Lumosity customers. Discover also suggested that I contact my attorney general and the Calif attorney general about this, which I intend to do tomorrow. This company is inaccessible because they want to be!! Some customer service, huh? No service after the sale!

vasv1
1/8/15

Doesn't get any worse than this. It's a scam in terms of payments and their refund policies. They clearly take advantage of the well intended user...stick to 2048 or any one of the thousands of free apps available online. STAY AWAY FROM LUMOSITY.

Tip for consumers: SCAM!

sams171
1/2/15

I'm doing this review because of Lumosity's unethical subscription renewal methods.
I subscribed in July for one month, and turned the Auto renewal off. Despite that, i got charged for a new month in August. I contact them, they apologize for the mistake and give me a refund.
I did another subscription in December and made SURE that the auto renewal is off. What happened at the beginning of January? I get charged for a new month anyway and now I have to contact costumor service again.
I think this is a deliberate act from Lumosity's side to trick people into new months subscriptions without their consent, under the impression that it was a mistake.
They misused my credit card info without my consent.
I'm not going to deal with them anymore.

jimb140
1/1/15

Bull$#*!. Says you get a free fit test, you fill everything out, then the only option is to pay for the full thing. What a load of crap. Only reason its 2 stars not 1 is the site is pretty nicely made and seems quality in that regard.

toml66
12/29/14

This is the message I received when I logged in. This is after 11 months of use. Glad I did not sign up for another year.

In order to use Lumosity, you must be using a current version of Adobe's Flash Player.

Download the latest version of Flash Player.

(Ipad does not support Flash Player)

richards118
12/29/14

Read a lot of negative reviews here. I just had a great experience with them. Didn't know I had signed up for automatic renewal of a family plan that only 1 person was actually using. They quickly corrected the problem and issued a refund.

karenf31
12/29/14

THIS IS A VIRUS!!!! I downloaded thought it was a free game but then they want me to pay for an account. I cannot get it off my phone or tablet and it is constantly downloading things. I've asked customer service to help me get it off but since I didn't pay for an an account I can't!!!! I am stuck with the thing forever downloading.

gerards18
12/28/14

I love this site! The games are straight out of lots of IQ, memory, neuropsych, and visual-motor integration tests that I administer. They are fun, addictive and definitely keep you on your toes. The only blatant drawback I see is that if the games are standardized (mean =10, SD=15 etc..) when comparing yourself to others practice effect would be a significant confounding variable. However, I'm sure the comparative measure is purely for entertainment purposes. So tell the budding lumogame junkies not to put MENSA on the speed dial just yet.
The graphics are retro, the response on my IPAD is awesome and I haven't had any technical problems with the site at all. Also, you can play three games a day, each as often as you like without joining and if your up late at night, sometimes you have free open access to all the games. Oops, that may not last too long.
Anyway, I really enjoy LUMOSITY, check it out, it's a bit challenging in the beginning but once you get the hang of it.....

FOR FELLOW PSYCHOMETRICIANS: It's BRIEF, STROOPISH, NEPSYISTIC, WISCTASTIC, AND WRAMLISH, and suitable for TONI, most Pearsons as well as KAUFMANIACS!

Tip for consumers: Addiction potential is very high!

annab120
12/25/14

one of my favourite mind training websites. It never gets boring! I like that I can see the progress of my training and that the variety of games is amazing. I enjoy seeing my score improving steadily. Before gving you the daily task they ask you about your mood and how much sleep did you get, it really effects the results. When I came to know about this service I bought one month full access which was not that expensive ($11). I loved how they chose taks for me and I was satisifed with my results. However, after that month I use the service for free and can also use it every day. howeve, I no longer have access to all the the games, which is sad as they are really great. Thinking of buying the full access again. Importatnt - when I made the payment, they set my account to auto renew, it meant that they were going to charge me every month. Be sure to cancel that option in your settings if you want to pay for only one month.

Tip for consumers: Importatnt - when I made the payment, they set my account to auto renew, it meant that they were going to charge me every month. Be sure to cancel that option in your settings if you want to pay for only one month.

donnas54
12/24/14

I am furious with this company. I thought the cost was a one-time fee. They auto-renewed my service during a time when I was not watching my bills closely due to my husband's health problems. When I called them to cancel, they said I was on the hook for another year. I do not believe they provided fair or adequate notice at the time of the original sale or at the time of the renewal. Someone should sue them over this as I believe it is intentional. Given the characteristics of the population to whom they are marketing, it is especially aggregious. Also, it is highly questionable whether science even supports this crap.

appys
11/20/14

WORST.CUSTOMER.SERVICE.EVER.
I enjoyed playing the games. Whether my brain improved or not, is debatable.
Trouble started when I discovered that my account was being accessed by someone else. Lumosity was of no help. Even after repeated requests, they have not suspended my account, nor provided a refund. Utterly unhelpful customer service. They're blaming me for giving out my password to someone.
They lack the basic measures of security available on ANY website these days - lock the account after 5 incorrect password attempts. They don't have device authorization like Netflix or Facebook does.
Beware of what you're getting into. There is no way to contact customer service except email. And they take DAYS to reply.
Took my money and evading a refund now.

Tip for consumers: Don't expect to get any customer service or any modern security measures on this website.

lauram68
11/19/14

This company gives you daily brain exercises. For this service they ask that you pay for a year in advance. I did pay a year in advance and after 60 days realized this was not going to be a positive thing for me. The programs would not download to my Apple and I was in a daily struggle to download. I did receive their assistance explaining what to do to enhance the download process but it was a daily event that I could no longer deal with. I requested my money back for the 10 months I will not be using this program. They refused. What can I say. They scammed me for $40.00. I would not pay for this program for a year if you have any doubts about using it for they will not refund your money.

bradleyn8
11/12/14

I used Lumosity for about 4 months. I assessed myself with tests like Quantified Mind. There was no difference. I thought I was improving but I was only getting better at the games.

rebeccad11
11/7/14

I love lumosity. My family have been using it for nearly 2 years and my mind has improved incredibly. My word recall is so much better. I've noticed dramatic improvement in my multitasking and problem solving in real life situations. I have also noticed significant improvements in my children's mental alertness (12 and 8) when they do it regularly. Only downside is that the games for mobile devices are too limited. We use the PC.

Tip for consumers: Not worthwhile if you plan to use a mobile device.

alysons1
11/7/14

I don't even have an account with these people but cannot get off of their emailing list. I've block their domain and addresses but they still get through! Anyone have an ideas?

timothys31
11/1/14

Get things right with the company is a real pain. The little test they give in a pre-test post test type situation is meaningless. Unless you are on top of what it is about you can end yp loikr me, going backwards. Their recalibration of ones scores was very odd. It seems that their statistics were way off up front, then they tried to correct them mid-flight. If one was attempting to get better at whatever it is, the recalibration changed all of that.

I think the games work on keeping your mind nimble and it forces focus. Being retired focus seems to waves a great deal. All in all enjoyable.

Tip for consumers: Keep at it. Try all of the games.

mr211
10/30/14

I need more games for IPad. I think there are just 5 or 6 BORED! Expensive! Would be best to be able to choose games that would be individualized to users' needs. In other words, if I score low in memory, then I would like more games that increase memory.

francisd13
10/29/14

As a senior I was drawn to the idea that exercising my brain would help ward off issues in old age. I tried Lumosity but cancelled membership well within the thirty day cancellation period. One year later I received a charge for a new subscription. Upon looking into it I find that they did not return my earlier fee the year before and were now charging me for a new membership. Their excuse was they did not receive my cancellation notice. They refunded my new fee but refused to refund the fee for the previous year even though they admitted they checked my account and saw that it had not been used since within the cancellation period. Bad bad business particularly when you try to draw in seniors with your product. Be ware is all I can say. This company cares nothing about the good of individuals and only about profits.

Tip for consumers: If you try it and cancel be sure you get something from them in writing that states they received your cancellation. If not you will never get your money refunded

stevenm85
10/23/14

I was into using Lumosity the first moths and my family showed interest so I upgraded to the family plan. My family used it for a bit and then quit. There was no email that the auto renewal and I had stopped using it when I discovered a cc bill for $130 renewal. I contacted them to at minimum downgrade to a single membership and a pro-rated refund but they wouldn't. Even thought I had my case escalated to manager they didn't budge. Honestly the games get boring and the more you use it the better your score gets. Don't know that you get smarter, but you might feel as so. If you sign up be sure to turn off auto renewal - they will probably offer you a deal at the end of your year to stay hooked up.

Tip for consumers: turn off Auto Renewal in your member settings. If you forget about Lumosity at least you won't get dinged for another years service

daven17
10/21/14

The site seemed like a good way to help improve my memory and attentiveness, but after 6 weeks my scores on "the brain test" dropped by over 10 points. Why? because the applications are so erratic that it was impossible to navigate through them so the clock ticked away while waiting for something (anything) to happen. When I requested a refund due to this poor performance, I was told it's beyond 30 days and we don't give you anything after that. Poor applications, poor service. Stay far away.

chrisn20
10/12/14

this site is such a scam, the ads are so annoying, keep poping up in sites playing automatically. I mean the games are fun, but don't really find it that useful. stop scamming people.

kalleh
10/11/14

All of the sites negative reviews are not fair, the thing is:

Ive been on lumosity for two months, and I'm a student and I feel there's so much more I now learn, I havn't tried their custumer service, since I've had absolutely no problems with the website. But, as some reviews say it is thin on content to their mobile app. But if you feel like you want to train and get better you should absolutely sign up for their free trials.

jayj31
10/10/14

The Lumosity games are great fun. Whether they actually help keep your brain intact is probably debatable. But their customer service has got to be the WORST in the industry! Terrible! Unresponsive! Unhelpful! There is no way to reach them except by email, and they take days to respond. I can't recommend them for that reason alone.

Tip for consumers: Make sure you know what you are signing up for. Be prepared not to receive any help or assistance in any way regarding your account.

dianas29
10/9/14

I bought a year subscription, it was okay. I now have a career and don't have the time for it. I had totally forgotten about it. No courtesy email regarding my subscription being renewed, just all the sudden the money gone from my account. I called the bank in a panic. To lumosity's credit, I got the refund in five minutes, but.... really really deceptive!

lisao12
10/1/14

Only giving one star for 2 reasons:
1) The games rarely change and are boring. Playing them every day became so rote and not at all brain-building that I gave up. Bought the family plan (stupid, stupid) and each of my family members came to the same conclusion.
2) They apparently buried the auto-renewal clause DEEP in the Terms and conditions (I am the freak who reads those things start to finish) because I never found it. In July AMEX alerted me to potential CC fraud - through process, couldn't see all charges from July - mid Sept until late September and found the $130 auto-renewal posted in mid-July. Their policy is they will refund if within 30 days. I asked for the refund under special circumstances (CC fraud/identity theft) but they flatly refused, even after escalation to a "manager", sticking strictly to their refund policy without consideration for my circumstances.

Would not recommend this to anyone!

Tip for consumers: Don't do it. Games get boring, the price is WAY too high and the customer service stinks!

luanns1
9/30/14

There advertisement is not what you actually get. It's the same brain games, over and over again. It's really boring and predicable.
I paid for a one year subscription, and after 2 months got really board with it. Not a challenge for me anymore. I asked for a refund for the remainder of the subscription.

But, after 30 days they do NOT issue refunds. Not even pro-rated refunds.
They certainly didn't make that very clear. I expected the 30 day rule to apply for the month used, not for the full advanced payment.

My advice Don't purchase Lumosity! It's boring, repetitive and not customer friendly.

I will be telling everyone I can about my very bad experience with Lumosity.

lindak46
9/30/14

I am so frustrated with this program I am thinking of asking for a refund! It doesn't work only about zone third of the time. Didn't have any problems until I updated it about a week ago.

brendam28
9/18/14

I just don't understand the negative reviews ... Have been on lumosity for a couple years and have had no problems and found their customer service to be good ... Asked them a functionality question one time. I find that the site has helped me increase my ability to focus and concentrate and really use it a lot. I suspect it's also helped me recover from an auto accident concussion i suffered. No complaints - I recommend it without reservation for those interested in optimizing concentration.

davec69
9/10/14

Lumosity reminds me of the old joke about a kid eating the rabbit dung "smart pills".
He did learn something!

marlenet
9/8/14

I am an on/off user of this product, think i have purchased the first subscription in 2008, when their prices were a bit steep (i.e. Eur78pa), then again in 2012. I recently got another package at half that price and bottom line is that i have no complaint whatsoever. I was surprised to read all the negative feedback on this product; i don't play their games every day or even week as they'r tend to be a bit doll so i didn't get addicted to them; but i've definitely noticed some cognitive benefits and overall i take it that the monthly price i pay (from the41Eur pa offer) is bearly the price of 1starbucks coffee, so no real worries here!

lilb2
9/6/14

Regarding AUTOMATIC RENEWAL BILLING....you can uncheck it by reading the instructions HERE:

There's alot to read so one must be prudent and not just click anywhere.
Hope this helps alot of you!!

I am not rating this as I haven't signed up - yet!

normj
9/6/14

To be honest, I haven't tried Lumosity. I have been afraid that I would be come as smug and self important as the people in their commercials! Looks like that was a good decision!

Tip for consumers: Ugh! Who would want to be like the smug egoists in their commercials?

javierc14
8/29/14

Not worth payin. After one month you get sick of playing the same boring and probably not even effective cheap games.
Their customer service is pathetic. They just copy&paste "Unfortunately, policy, bla, bla, bullsh**" and close the ticket...

Tip for consumers: Don´t spend money on this

carolyng10
8/27/14

Buyer beware! Linosity will take extra money from your bank account! I signed up for one year and they charged me for 2! They added the charge and year when I tried to cancel my account. This is scam to take your money.

Tip for consumers: Don't sign up unless you don't mind people taking your money arbitrarily.

ryanb55
8/26/14

I looked over the reviews on this site about Lumosity and got to say. Please let me sale you a car. If you took 4 sec to read the billing statements before purchasing the product, you would have clearly seen what the billing cycles are, and the options if you choose not to enroll in the monthly or yearly subscriptions.

Has for me, I like this product, I've tried other free apps and for the most part. They tent to be the same mathematical questions, no shapes...etc.

I'm only four weeks into the service and seen improvements with my way of thinking. Now, I and hope no one expects these games to make you a genius, but should help improve daily thinking requires.

Tip for consumers: Read before you buy, if you want cheap apps, cheap apps is what you get. Life is not free, so pick wisely. But don't be upset if you're expectation are let down!

woodsieo
8/25/14

I'm giving the one star review because their auto renewal process is deceptive. No where was I told that my yearly subscription would be auto drafted from my bank account, until today I received a notice that I had approved the $74.95 annual fee. I thought that last year I had just signed up for one year. I wasn't notified in advance or sent a reminder that this was happening until after the fact. All that is beside the fact that I think it's overpriced for what you get. Lumosity, automatically making your customers always renew without reminding them before hand or giving them the option, and having us have to change that in our profile, if you're lucky enough to figure it out before getting the charge, is NOT a way to keep users happy or coming back. Also, when you call the customer service number, there is no representative, you have to leave a voicemail which says they'll get back to you in 3 days.

Tip for consumers: Be careful that your settings are set to the subscription preference that you want. You wouldn't think to do this, but you'll get surprised with charges and get upset!

peggyk
8/7/14

I signed up for an account an immediately began getting daily spam from two other sources. Its obvious to me they are selling their contact lists. Not cool.

nancyj20
8/5/14

I signed up for Lumosity in May of 2014. I thought the $14.95 was a one-time charge. In fact, it's $14.95 per month. That is not something I saw at all, and feel it's more than a little deceiving. Took me two more months to really see the charge (yes, that's my fault). Though, I also feel that it's what Lumosity counts on -- that people won't notice/investigate that small amount coming out of their bank account. Lumosity refunded ONE month of $14.95 when I complained to both PayPal and Lumosity directly. I guess the other month was the price for lesson learned. Yup, I guess you could call that Brain Training of sorts!

peggya4
8/4/14

I sure hate to be negative, but I DID like this app. I give it no stars (but have to give one) because it is way too expensive. There are free games that allow you to build neurons. The games are very limited via the app compared to a computer, it's not worth it. Yet more importantly, it gets no stars because it you sign up for a yearly subscription and do not know that you have signed up for auto-renewal this company feels that it is not important to let you know that you have. All of the auto-renewals or auto-payments that I have set up send advanced warning that your credit card/bank account is about to be charged to my email or my phone. This includes Apple, my isp, my car payment, my phone, the water softener people, Godaddy, and this list goes on. They also let you know that you account has been charged. Not Lumosity. Yes, my credit score has been damaged for because of a payment made with a credit card that I do not use and, therefore do not check it's balance. In fact the last and only time I used it was to renew my Lumosity subscription. This is one of those "There ought to be a law" situations.

toms119
7/23/14

Good mental work out, but if you use an I Pad there are very few games. They are so far behind the trend away from computers. Not worth money on an IPad!

jonathanj18
7/15/14

You cant talk to customer service...I'm on my 6th day waiting for a refund...any business that avoids their customers, I AVOID THEM.

jenniferl54
7/11/14

Games were challenging, but got a little boring after awhile. When you sign up, there is a clause that your membership will renew automaticallly in a year. I circled the date on my calendar and before my renewal date, decided to give it a rest, cancel my enrolment online.
Months later, when looking over my charge bills, there was a renewal charge for Lumosity! I had not used the site since my cancellation. They will not reimburse me because of a six month limit for renewals. Shocked and disappointed! Shady response from what I had thought was a respected company.

theog10
7/7/14

Have had an account for 2 years now, have never had issues! It's great!
They release new games, new challenges and recently launched the mobile app. My Android phone runs it perfectly. (It's the first version of the app, there will be more games added soon it says)
I've track my progress, while the numbers say I'm getting quicker with better memory, I've actually noticed a change myself. People's names, driving directions, quick math, I've impressed myself sometimes.
You have to stay at it! I do it 3-4 times a week. Lunchbreaks usually.
If you stop using it, you'll performance will decrease.
Maybe this is where all the bad reviews come from......dumb people!
It will not make you MAGICALLY smarter.
As far as the price, I used to buy video games, $29.99, $59.99, $79.99, play them for 3 weeks and shelf them. Hundreds of dollars a year.
Now that I'm not a kid anymore, $60 a year for Lumosity, is easily justifiable.
You pay for a gym membership for special machines and equipment, but you can't fork over $60/yr for your brain. Oh gosh. I fear where the world is headed!

Highly recommend it to anyone who wants to stay sharp and keep their brain active.

I don't know how it could be a scam, you pay, and you receive a service.
I got my family hooked and we pay for a Family Plan. No complaints.

ek41
7/4/14

There might be some value to this application, but their customer service is so terribly poor that it will have you wishing you could deal with a non-native-speaking, off-shore customer support person instead. If there's any possibility you might need some help with this program .... don't sign up for it!!!

belah
7/2/14

They have a promising product.
Top down non listening management
No contact between customers and staff.
Deceitful business practices.
What a pity. Frustrating
They need to make it easy to be in touch with customer experience. The do the opposit.

ginab17
7/2/14

Lumosity.com - Very good. The tests are challenging and fun. Every now and then the site apps load slowly, but overall everything works perfectly. I have it on my PCs, smartphone, iPad. No issues or troubles. It's fun challenging myself. I have increased in ability. My scores have gone up. I feel more confident and I see what my strengths and weaknesses are across the board. It's easy, simple and fun!

shahrokhf
6/23/14

Lumosity.com are bunch of thieves. they got my friend's money(took the credit card info and all other information and after transaction was done) when he started to use the software, she got an error msg saying that her device is not supported. she tried to get customer support, no body answers the customer support line.
Also my wife registered to test the software as they advertise it for a month in a free basis, she was only able to use it for one day. But after that they are doing heavy marketing to sell her the subscription.
in summary if you are interested in brain teaser software look somewhere else. Lumosity are bunch of thieves.

gailc21
6/13/14

wish it could be no stars! used it for a couple of months years ago, no benefit whatsoever - but autorenewal! and "help centre" is just a bunch of system-generated junk. stay away!

crisc5
6/3/14

I admit to being enticed by the supposed brain science and ability to improve my memory and brain function by playing games. I should have known better than to be lured by the heavy marketing and fabulous claims. I paid nearly $100 for a 2 yr subscription and was denied a refund when I realized I had been duped (not only was there no improvement in memory despite constant claims of stellar performance by the Lumosity measures, but I had become the target of a heavy handed marketing campaign designed to get me to pressure family and friends to sign up). I subscribed to this service based on the marketing claims of improved memory and brain performance. It seemed more credible coming from an educational based background and as an educator that appealed to me. I found it difficult to access the website from the foreign locations where I often work and the i-phone app was not the same quality of experience and seemed far less legitimate than the regular web page version. More importantly, I noticed no improvement in memory or any other brain function after using this consistently for over 2 months, despite the company claims my brain’s performance was miraculously improved. The rating system of where I stood with my age group was frankly suspect and seemed designed to only encourage me to continue playing games just to beat others. It became clear there was nothing credible in this data and the company had few other people in my demographic subscribed, so the performance comparisons had no solid basis. The performance numbers seemed rigged to encourage me to get friends and family to subscribe and then compete with them. I was bombarded with family and friend plan options. This service should sell itself based on its 'science-grounded' merits - not a heavy handed marketing campaign. After several months ‘playing brain games’ I realised that it is a scam, designed to squeeze money from gullible customers wanting to optimize their memory and performance. There is no discernable improvement in my mental capacity or memory since I subscribed. Now they refuse to give me a refund for the year and a half that's left of the subscription and I’ve been forced to lodge a complaint with the BBB.

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Lumosity staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Is Lumosity good or bad?
9/10/11
laurences
A: Has this or any brain training website
ever proven to increase the IQ in adults ?
7/12/10
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the Lumosity staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

Sites for Brain Games – Reviewed By Consumers