US Government's NSF

Lumosity reviews

71 Reviews for Lumosity.com

▼ Sort by: recent

7/23/14

Good mental work out, but if you use an I Pad there are very few games. They are so far behind the trend away from computers. Not worth money on an IPad!

7/15/14

You cant talk to customer service...I'm on my 6th day waiting for a refund...any business that avoids their customers, I AVOID THEM.

7/11/14

Games were challenging, but got a little boring after awhile. When you sign up, there is a clause that your membership will renew automaticallly in a year. I circled the date on my calendar and before my renewal date, decided to give it a rest, cancel my enrolment online.
Months later, when looking over my charge bills, there was a renewal charge for Lumosity! I had not used the site since my cancellation. They will not reimburse me because of a six month limit for renewals. Shocked and disappointed! Shady response from what I had thought was a respected company.

7/4/14

There might be some value to this application, but their customer service is so terribly poor that it will have you wishing you could deal with a non-native-speaking, off-shore customer support person instead. If there's any possibility you might need some help with this program .... don't sign up for it!!!

7/2/14

They have a promising product.
Top down non listening management
No contact between customers and staff.
Deceitful business practices.
What a pity. Frustrating
They need to make it easy to be in touch with customer experience. The do the opposit.

7/2/14

Lumosity.com - Very good. The tests are challenging and fun. Every now and then the site apps load slowly, but overall everything works perfectly. I have it on my PCs, smartphone, iPad. No issues or troubles. It's fun challenging myself. I have increased in ability. My scores have gone up. I feel more confident and I see what my strengths and weaknesses are across the board. It's easy, simple and fun!

6/23/14

Lumosity.com are bunch of thieves. they got my friend's money(took the credit card info and all other information and after transaction was done) when he started to use the software, she got an error msg saying that her device is not supported. she tried to get customer support, no body answers the customer support line.
Also my wife registered to test the software as they advertise it for a month in a free basis, she was only able to use it for one day. But after that they are doing heavy marketing to sell her the subscription.
in summary if you are interested in brain teaser software look somewhere else. Lumosity are bunch of thieves.

6/13/14

wish it could be no stars! used it for a couple of months years ago, no benefit whatsoever - but autorenewal! and "help centre" is just a bunch of system-generated junk. stay away!

6/3/14

I admit to being enticed by the supposed brain science and ability to improve my memory and brain function by playing games. I should have known better than to be lured by the heavy marketing and fabulous claims. I paid nearly $100 for a 2 yr subscription and was denied a refund when I realized I had been duped (not only was there no improvement in memory despite constant claims of stellar performance by the Lumosity measures, but I had become the target of a heavy handed marketing campaign designed to get me to pressure family and friends to sign up). I subscribed to this service based on the marketing claims of improved memory and brain performance. It seemed more credible coming from an educational based background and as an educator that appealed to me. I found it difficult to access the website from the foreign locations where I often work and the i-phone app was not the same quality of experience and seemed far less legitimate than the regular web page version. More importantly, I noticed no improvement in memory or any other brain function after using this consistently for over 2 months, despite the company claims my brain’s performance was miraculously improved. The rating system of where I stood with my age group was frankly suspect and seemed designed to only encourage me to continue playing games just to beat others. It became clear there was nothing credible in this data and the company had few other people in my demographic subscribed, so the performance comparisons had no solid basis. The performance numbers seemed rigged to encourage me to get friends and family to subscribe and then compete with them. I was bombarded with family and friend plan options. This service should sell itself based on its 'science-grounded' merits - not a heavy handed marketing campaign. After several months ‘playing brain games’ I realised that it is a scam, designed to squeeze money from gullible customers wanting to optimize their memory and performance. There is no discernable improvement in my mental capacity or memory since I subscribed. Now they refuse to give me a refund for the year and a half that's left of the subscription and I’ve been forced to lodge a complaint with the BBB.

5/30/14

I have been a user for about six months. I really like it! In my opinion, it is most certainly NOT a scam. I have not had any issue with billing (I paid for a year after trying it for free on my iPad, and did not sign up for "automatic renewal," so I haven't yet gotten to any potential issue on that). The service is MUCH better on the computer than on the iPad. The iPad games are well-designed, but there just aren't very many of them (maybe 12 compared to around 40?). So, if you only want to use your iPad for these types of games, I wouldn't recommend signing up. There is a wide variety of games on the computer, though. They focus on five different areas of "brain power." While I don't know if it's actually building brain power, I don't think it is hurting me, and I really do enjoy a lot of the games. The "train game" is completely addictive!

5/5/14

This is a scam !! I only wanted to try it once and it auto-renew EVERY MONTH without notifying me and when you cancel you have several steps to actually fully cancel it. This site has taken so much of money and it's being doing it for a full year paying $14.95 /month

4/17/14

Beware, when you try to cancel the automatic renewal....you think you have cancelled but you must go through a mulit-step process, see below, or they will charge you again and NOT give you a refund.

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. If you only clicked on the first cancel link, this did not cancel auto-renewal. In order to fully turn off auto-renewal, you have to go through a multiple step process that ends in you explaining why you are turning off auto-renewal. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like you did this. Since we cannot process your refund, the only option available to you is to dispute the charge with your credit card company. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Best,

Matt

3/25/14

BEWARE OF THIS CON
A scam and a rip off, once they get hold of credit card details it is too late.
I joined and was very unpleasantly surprised I made a complaint to Apple Apps about this scam.
Games that you get get free free on other sites.
LUMOSITY JUST A RIP OFF AND SCAM

3/25/14

Tried it. Wasn't that impressed but, I wouldn't have thought it was a scam. Just no one really used it in the house. Tried to cancel. They KEEP taking money out of my account (not just for the one month I signed up for). The latest is "we will refund you but, this is your fault because it was set up as auto pay" even though I tried to cancel on their site several times (There is no customer service line) then I finally just had to block there charges on my card.

3/23/14

Website easy to navigate, I used an iPad mini to sign up for an account. After signing up by supplying my birthdate and an email address rather than using my FB login (doing so gives them access to your friends list and google activity). I then answered a few more questions. After being redirected to the home page, I tried to access the "limited" games that are free. All of the games, tests, and other account items are all locked. It appears that if you are an iPad user the only thing free is the ability to sign up for a lumosity account, you must pay to access and use everything as an iPad or iPad mini user.

3/12/14

Stay away from this one.
Neat concept.
Problem is there is very little available on iPad.
They state more is coming but no action appears to be happening.
Instead of being Customer focused when I contested them they simply fell back on their "policy".
Avoid signing on with them. They are pretty lousy to deal with.
Not worth the trouble.

3/10/14

I have been using them for 3 years. I am 55 years old and found their site fantastic and has helped my brain performance incredibly. I paid monthly for 1st 2 years, now pay yearly. It fits my budget and quite affordable; have never been ripped off. Their service contact can be a little slow but they do have over 500K users.

I have tried other sites, paid and non-paid; for the moment Lumosity has my confidence.

3/9/14

its a scam
I enjoyed first two month and I stopped playing it
I paid by credit card
but they just charged me for another month without any notice or explanation!!!
yeahh i was paying auto renewal.... and i didn't know bout it
i can accept it coz its my fault to not read it
but They charge me extra two times exactly 2 days later after I made the payment!!
they charged me on 2014.02.03 and 2014.03.03 when I made two payments on 2014.01.31 and 2014.03.01!!!
I heard tat they are abusing users card information and i am not alone!!
so just keep away from this crap

2/24/14

I really enjoyed the games and saw good results from playing them.

Trouble started when I signed on one day to find I was locked out of all games.
Tried through their Help department and got very strange responses such as your profile shows you are under 13 years of age so we cannot help you. I clarified my age. Days later another request for credit card information etc. and still no access to games. I have been trying to make contact again but now no response.

Lumosity is spending a great deal of money on TV ads, banner ads etc. with virtually NO CUSTMER SUPPORT. If you want an exercise in frustration sign up to this sight.

2/16/14

I want to use this service for one month as some game are not programmed for an IPAD..most could not be used...I made sure no credit card information was in my profile.....I quit using the service before the 30 was up....I was charged again....They said my card was on auto renew which it was not. ....So BUYER BEWARE

2/11/14

Terrible company that doesn't give a hoot about customers. The single most reprehensible customer service I've ever experienced. I've been asking for a refund on the second year of my 2 year term because I don't have time to use their service and they just continue to refuse my request. I seriously hope that people stay away from this company and their bait and switch marketing. I'm actually shocked that their practices are in compliance with FTC rulings on direct marketing.

2/1/14

I've been doing lumosity training for about six months. I was very consistent early on and then just stopped doing the training altogether. I have recently returned to a regular pattern. For me, I completely notice a difference! If I do the training my memory is MUCH better and I do feel much more alert during the day after I get the training done. I was shocked to read all of the negative reviews. I really think this is a legit business and I'm super glad I am part of the Lumosity Training courses.

2/1/14

There are some flaws with the games, and your BPI is drastically affected depending on which device you use. My BPI doubled once I switched to an ipad from a PC--that's because the ipad has a touchscreen, so it's easier to pick up speed with that feature. The ipad, however, offers only a subset of games that you can get on the PC. The ipad has maybe 10-12 games, while the PC version has about 40 games. I have found flaws with two games, and within a month, I am at the 96th percentile for my age group--the big leap was because I switched to the ipad. The games are interesting, but I would like more statistics/data to accompany each one. I can see how I rank in general--across the board. But I would like to see how I rank on a per-game basis. I also think the company should provide an overview of how you rank and what that means in terms of daily functioning. For example, if I rank high in <x area> at particular times of the day and lower at other times--or if it's obvious that I rank better/worse after/before meals or after/before exercise, they could provide that information. They could offer optional quick surveys after each game to pull this data and then aggregate it into something useful. I enjoy playing some of the games, but I'm not sure if it's really improving my cognition or if I am just getting better at particular games.

1/30/14

I really notice when I've gone a week without doing my lumosity training... I'm slower with my reaction time and less able to formulate solutions to problems. I don't compare my Brain Performance Index (BPI) to others and I try not to marathon-train or cheat. I notice that meeting participation improves (maybe that's due to confidence, because the night prior I was able to memorize so many names I am still in shock) and I'm able to recommend creative solutions to systemic problems in the organization. Love this site!

1/30/14

I tried this crap and now they send me emails every single day. this is the stupidest thing i ever tried. dont waste your time or money on it.

1/27/14

Like many others who have written here, I can only reiterate: STAY AWAY from these
con artists!! Customer service is a joke! Payment information for those who already have an account is a lesson in futility. DON'T BOTHER!!!

1/26/14

I've been using this site for a little over a year. I still question whether it helps or if it is only turning someone into a robot. I totally believe in exercising the brain, but that can be done in many ways and most likely for free. I was stupid enough to join, because I thought it would be easy and then I would do it. This turned out to be true, I was using it at least 6 days a week for about a year. Sometimes it just seemed repetitious. There was one game which I reached their top level and I would lose points for playing it as it was part of my training course for the day, which were many - I sent in a question on it and several days later received a response which pretty much said nothing. Hmm,,,, I guess they aren't really studying their stats.
Well, the real turn off is the customer service. You open a request, they hope you forget about it or it gets resolved on it's own, you then comment on the open request asking if anyone works there and finally an answer comes that provides absolutely nothing.

1/18/14

The training games often do not work lately. When you finish a game, it often doesn't give you a result or let you carry on to the next training game. Some games quit right in the middle without giving a result. Others seem to end ok, but the "continue" button doesn't work. I've complained about this numerous times, with no satisfaction. I'm ready to demand my money back.

1/14/14

POOREST CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE UNIVERSE! Don't try to cancel an auto renew that THEY sign you up for. It will take more than I accomplished giving birth 3 times! I am still trying to get a decent answer from an online person because the phone messages I left have not been returned. Do NOT waste your time, your money, your brain on this company.

1/4/14

Worst customer service I have ever seen. No response for 8 days. Stay away from a subscription to this site.

1/4/14

I kinda knew @ the start it was gonna cost me & I took a few " hits" lol until the I had to pay. Then I read some reviews about poor support. I hope they don't prey on "pay for a yr " bullibites....anyway,,,w/ poor service on a mo to mo basis of payment. I'll usually call the cc co and call it in as lost and have the #'s changed to prevent more billing,,,F the webiste

1/1/14

I subscribed for a year, and actually thought the product was good. However, when I tried to find out what the prices were for continued subscription, I found that: 1. I could not find out what those costs were; 2. There was NO oontact numbers that actually let you talk to a person who MIGHT be able to address my questions.

12/27/13

worked great until 30 day money back guarantee expired, then game stopped almost completely, contacted support many times, and they blame flash, even though i have tried several versions, several browsers, and 2 operating systems. No satisfaction with support at all.

12/25/13

A thinly disquised scam operation. Signed up for a year's subscription and continued to get charged 2 years after the year had finished. Was only partially reimboursed and am not at all confident that Lumosity's greedy minions might not continue to use my bank details to take out money without my permission. AND you cannot phone and talk to anyone of authority. You must send "Requests" and get limp preconstructed responses from a series of dishonest who-knows-whats.

12/7/13

Customer service is terrible. Don't pay for a full year by credit card as I did. You might be very sorry. I cannot login to my site. I'm routed to FaceBook for a sign in and cannot do this as I have no intention of belonging to FB.

11/21/13

Do not pay Lumonsity any money. They promise a full refund if you are not satisfied, I have been trying for a week to get a refund. Their customer service is awful!!!!! Do not pay for this product. You do not need to pay, just do the free stuff.

11/12/13

Lumosity customer service is pathetic! Some of the games are interesting, but forget it if you expect scoring that makes any sense. I don't think even they know how it works. When I ask they say scores are based on an algorithm and they cannot reveal the algorithm. Hmmm. I usually don't buy anything online from a site that does not have a customer service phone number or chat line. Made a mistake this time. Emails take days to respond to, and usually are unresponsive to the question asked. Training reminders work sometimes, sometimes not. They need to address their problems, but they will have to do it without me when my subscription runs out. Waste of time and money. I give it two stars only because I enjoy a limited number of their games.

11/7/13

They ripped me off. No easy way to cancel and they auto-renew without notifying you. Many people have reported similar problems. I would not recommend this company.

10/28/13

I actually enjoy Lumosity games. I don't know if they make me smarter but it was a nice, fun present for my son to get me.

10/28/13

Don't waste your money. Support is horrible, the games don't work well consistently, and there's no proof that spending the money and playing these help anyway

Email notifications haven't worked correctly for many months and support has been horrible! Now, they won't help because they say the email address I was using wasn't the same as the one on file even though I was just replying to an earlier email thread where the helpdesk and I were corresponding.

Also, the games have been messing up (especially the 'rules' game).

10/28/13

They continued to charge my credit card for months after I cancelled my account. Refused to refund the money taken after I had cancelled even though they confirmed the account was closed. Stay away, buy a book instead.

10/27/13

The work in and of itself is great, but do not bother buying this service. If you have a problem with anything that Lumosity has, they will not even attempt to give you a helpful solution. Lumosity will only tell you to stay at their website longer and play more games.

TL:DR - Do NOT purchase a subscription, the free version is just as sufficient.

10/24/13

I like the games but had some technical problems with the site. There wasn't a phone number where I could reach them for immediate help so I submitted a help request online. My problem was time urgent and they didn't get back to me for 5 days - and even after they got back to me it was another 2 days before the problem was solved. By then I was steamed and pretty demanding.

It was hard to get their attention, but once I was on their radar screen the customer service was excellent. They called me on the old fashioned telephone several times to resolve my issues and also to follow up and make sure everything was resolved.

During that week before they replied to my help request, it seemed like they didn't care and I was pretty convinced that I had fallen victim to an internet scam. The issue had to do with a software malfunction during payment, and the flub had cost me a considerable sum of money. But in the end, I was surprised how eager they were to resolve the issue and provided me with a settlement that was more than fair.

I give the brain training program 5 stars

I give the customer service 5 stars - if you can get their attention.

I GIVE THEM JUST ONE STAR FOR THE TIME THEY TOOK TO CONTACT ME AFTER I SUBMITTED A HELP REQUEST - it was great once they became aware of the problem but it took exactly one week to get everything straightened out. Lumosity desperately needs a live phone line (not a voice mail) for people who have time urgent issues. If I am locked out of my account, I do not want to wait a week before training again.

Perhaps it is OK to restrict free members to online only help request, but paying members have a right to expect prompt service when there is an issue. I was very surprised to find that after spending more than $200.00, I was stuck with a help request that floated around in cyberspace until they "got around" to it. In that time, my paypal account had been overcharged and I couldn't even get full access to my paid account!

So, now that I have been satisfied, I will give the whole experience 3 stars - Good Content, Good Customer Service, but lousy wait time. And for the wait time I will take away 2 stars. Most of the complaints about this site are related to lack of communication. I hope they pay heed, because the idea behind Lumosity is good and I would like to see them succeed. However the wait time is unacceptable and is giving them a bad reputation. It could be their undoing if they are not careful. There are a myriad of technical glitches on this site and to take money for paid memberships and then set people adrift with no easily tech support is really bad business. They need to provide a reliable software experience AND the need to provide immediate, live tech support for paying members.

As of today, my financial issues with Lumosity have been resolved, but there is still one member of my family plan that cannot log onto the site because of tech issues. There is no telling how long it will take to get him the access that I paid for.

P.S. I have seen several reviewers complain about automatic billing. If you go into your account settings, you can disable auto-billing from your own computer. Just a tip - this isn't an issue that should require people to cancel their credit cards. after my experience, I am convinced that these folks don't want to cheat anyone, but they have some issues knowing how to run a first rate business. Fortunately, some things are within the customer's control. Just disable auto-pay and you can resolve this one quickly and easily.

10/14/13

Total scam, another webpage to steal your money, starts with a so called free trial, then they just charge you forever until you realize you are getting robbed, games are trash, and not helpful at all.

10/10/13

It's a scam. Don't waste your money. I got hooked by the promotional and signed up for1 year, primarily in the hopes of improving my memory. I played the games every day for 90 days and of course my scores improved. However I didn't see any of that translate into real live. I didn't notice any improvement in memory, peripharal vision and the other skills they supposedly can improve. If I could get my money back I would.

10/10/13

Thought I had cancelled, I was pretty certain I had. But somehow the "auto-renew" feature was on. No problem, I thought, I would just contact them. I was looking for a one month refund. I hadn't logged into the site or anything in the month since I had cancelled. No can do said the customer service agent, I had auto renewed. He wasn't budging. So rather than me walking away happy, I walked away annoyed that they kept $15 because I supposedly "auto renewed". We didn't see any brain improvement either which is why we cancelled. AVOID.

10/5/13

I tried Lumosity for a month and decided to go ahead and get a year subscription. I was under the impression that I was going to be paying 5.22 per month. When I looked on my bank statement, Lumosity had taken out the full year price! I have tried to contact them by phone (the phone # is:877-777-0502), but I get nothing but a voice message saying that they will get back to me within 3 days.....nothing! I have attempted to contact them through their website, and hit a dead end. What kind of customer service is this?? Where is the respect and loyalty any decent company would extend to it's customers? I want nothing more than to get free from these people! They are disreputable, and creepy.

9/25/13

I would definitely say the Lumosity is worthwhile because of the mental stimulation it provides through training is really effective. I paid for lumosity for one year and played over 1000games. The results I got were quite amazing my bpi went up by 1000 and I noticed a significant improvement in memory/attention after I stopped paying for it. Since it targets all 5 mental areas I could see improvement in those areas too such as speed and flexibility. It boosted my confidence because when I had to remember things and answer questions I would get it right quite often. In terms of attention span I can pay attention for longer periods of time while retaining information from what I learned. Also the results come after training I didn't train too much I just played the games I liked but training will increase brain power since it includes a variety of different games based on your training priorities. All it takes is training to condition your mind. Further, my verbal fluency improved because I played those word games such as word bubbles rising. The games have a great design and really fun to play you, just have to be motivated enough to play the games. All in all its a great site if your willing to commit the time and effort for training. The time is takes to reap the benefits of training is around 15minutes daily.

9/20/13

I started using Lomosity for myself, liked it and paid extra for the family plan to include the rest of my family. The games are fun and challenging at the higher levels - we liked playing them and were seeing improvements.

HOWEVER, when we recently logged in to play the games again, we found that all of the games were locked and the only wayto play them was to upgrade our accounts. We already paid and our subscription time had not yet expired. Basically, this is a breach of contract since they cancelled our existing subscription without refund and force us to sign up and pay a higher fee.

I have no problem with Lumosity changing their program and fee structure for new member subscriptions, but for those of us that already have accounts with time remaining on our active subscriptions, we should be allowed to use up the remainder of our subscription with the same access to the games, history data, and comparison profiles that we have always had. AFTER our subscription runs out, THEN and only then should Lumosity request thay we pay the higher fees to continue.

I have requested from Lumosity to unlock my account(s) for the remainder of my subscription or issue a refund, but I have not heard anything from them yet.

The terms of service agreement has changed from the original when I created my account. Now they are saying we cannot file a class-action lawsuit, but that clause is not enforceable in the case of breach of contract or fraud (which is certainly arguable in court) Therefore, If enough of us have not received satisfactory resolution of our concerns, a class-action suit may be warranted.

9/14/13

They took money from my credit card without asking. It was supposed to be some "auto reneval" of my subscription which I did not intend to extend. Stay away from this site!

The Best Brain Game Sites Reviewed by Consumers on SiteJabber