US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

brendam28

Have been on lumosity for a couple years and have had no problems and found their customer service to be good ... (in 25 reviews)

gbryans

If you want to join and are not sure you are going to like it, pay with a credit card. (in 13 reviews)

jeremyg

The games are fun, although there are not that many. (in 45 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

stevenm85
10/23/14

I was into using Lumosity the first moths and my family showed interest so I upgraded to the family plan. My family used it for a bit and then quit. There was no email that the auto renewal and I had stopped using it when I discovered a cc bill for $130 renewal. I contacted them to at minimum downgrade to a single membership and a pro-rated refund but they wouldn't. Even thought I had my case escalated to manager they didn't budge. Honestly the games get boring and the more you use it the better your score gets. Don't know that you get smarter, but you might feel as so. If you sign up be sure to turn off auto renewal - they will probably offer you a deal at the end of your year to stay hooked up.

Tip for consumers: turn off Auto Renewal in your member settings. If you forget about Lumosity at least you won't get dinged for another years service

daven17
10/21/14

The site seemed like a good way to help improve my memory and attentiveness, but after 6 weeks my scores on "the brain test" dropped by over 10 points. Why? because the applications are so erratic that it was impossible to navigate through them so the clock ticked away while waiting for something (anything) to happen. When I requested a refund due to this poor performance, I was told it's beyond 30 days and we don't give you anything after that. Poor applications, poor service. Stay far away.

chrisn20
10/12/14

this site is such a scam, the ads are so annoying, keep poping up in sites playing automatically. I mean the games are fun, but don't really find it that useful. stop scamming people.

kalleh
10/11/14

All of the sites negative reviews are not fair, the thing is:

Ive been on lumosity for two months, and I'm a student and I feel there's so much more I now learn, I havn't tried their custumer service, since I've had absolutely no problems with the website. But, as some reviews say it is thin on content to their mobile app. But if you feel like you want to train and get better you should absolutely sign up for their free trials.

jayj31
10/10/14

The Lumosity games are great fun. Whether they actually help keep your brain intact is probably debatable. But their customer service has got to be the WORST in the industry! Terrible! Unresponsive! Unhelpful! There is no way to reach them except by email, and they take days to respond. I can't recommend them for that reason alone.

Tip for consumers: Make sure you know what you are signing up for. Be prepared not to receive any help or assistance in any way regarding your account.

dianas29
10/9/14

I bought a year subscription, it was okay. I now have a career and don't have the time for it. I had totally forgotten about it. No courtesy email regarding my subscription being renewed, just all the sudden the money gone from my account. I called the bank in a panic. To lumosity's credit, I got the refund in five minutes, but.... really really deceptive!

lisao12
10/1/14

Only giving one star for 2 reasons:
1) The games rarely change and are boring. Playing them every day became so rote and not at all brain-building that I gave up. Bought the family plan (stupid, stupid) and each of my family members came to the same conclusion.
2) They apparently buried the auto-renewal clause DEEP in the Terms and conditions (I am the freak who reads those things start to finish) because I never found it. In July AMEX alerted me to potential CC fraud - through process, couldn't see all charges from July - mid Sept until late September and found the $130 auto-renewal posted in mid-July. Their policy is they will refund if within 30 days. I asked for the refund under special circumstances (CC fraud/identity theft) but they flatly refused, even after escalation to a "manager", sticking strictly to their refund policy without consideration for my circumstances.

Would not recommend this to anyone!

Tip for consumers: Don't do it. Games get boring, the price is WAY too high and the customer service stinks!

luanns1
9/30/14

There advertisement is not what you actually get. It's the same brain games, over and over again. It's really boring and predicable.
I paid for a one year subscription, and after 2 months got really board with it. Not a challenge for me anymore. I asked for a refund for the remainder of the subscription.

But, after 30 days they do NOT issue refunds. Not even pro-rated refunds.
They certainly didn't make that very clear. I expected the 30 day rule to apply for the month used, not for the full advanced payment.

My advice Don't purchase Lumosity! It's boring, repetitive and not customer friendly.

I will be telling everyone I can about my very bad experience with Lumosity.

lindak46
9/30/14

I am so frustrated with this program I am thinking of asking for a refund! It doesn't work only about zone third of the time. Didn't have any problems until I updated it about a week ago.

brendam28
9/18/14

I just don't understand the negative reviews ... Have been on lumosity for a couple years and have had no problems and found their customer service to be good ... Asked them a functionality question one time. I find that the site has helped me increase my ability to focus and concentrate and really use it a lot. I suspect it's also helped me recover from an auto accident concussion i suffered. No complaints - I recommend it without reservation for those interested in optimizing concentration.

davec69
9/10/14

Lumosity reminds me of the old joke about a kid eating the rabbit dung "smart pills".
He did learn something!

marlenet
9/8/14

I am an on/off user of this product, think i have purchased the first subscription in 2008, when their prices were a bit steep (i.e. Eur78pa), then again in 2012. I recently got another package at half that price and bottom line is that i have no complaint whatsoever. I was surprised to read all the negative feedback on this product; i don't play their games every day or even week as they'r tend to be a bit doll so i didn't get addicted to them; but i've definitely noticed some cognitive benefits and overall i take it that the monthly price i pay (from the41Eur pa offer) is bearly the price of 1starbucks coffee, so no real worries here!

lilb2
9/6/14

Regarding AUTOMATIC RENEWAL BILLING....you can uncheck it by reading the instructions HERE:

There's alot to read so one must be prudent and not just click anywhere.
Hope this helps alot of you!!

I am not rating this as I haven't signed up - yet!

normj
9/6/14

To be honest, I haven't tried Lumosity. I have been afraid that I would be come as smug and self important as the people in their commercials! Looks like that was a good decision!

Tip for consumers: Ugh! Who would want to be like the smug egoists in their commercials?

javierc14
8/29/14

Not worth payin. After one month you get sick of playing the same boring and probably not even effective cheap games.
Their customer service is pathetic. They just copy&paste "Unfortunately, policy, bla, bla, bullsh**" and close the ticket...

Tip for consumers: Don´t spend money on this

carolyng10
8/27/14

Buyer beware! Linosity will take extra money from your bank account! I signed up for one year and they charged me for 2! They added the charge and year when I tried to cancel my account. This is scam to take your money.

Tip for consumers: Don't sign up unless you don't mind people taking your money arbitrarily.

ryanb55
8/26/14

I looked over the reviews on this site about Lumosity and got to say. Please let me sale you a car. If you took 4 sec to read the billing statements before purchasing the product, you would have clearly seen what the billing cycles are, and the options if you choose not to enroll in the monthly or yearly subscriptions.

Has for me, I like this product, I've tried other free apps and for the most part. They tent to be the same mathematical questions, no shapes...etc.

I'm only four weeks into the service and seen improvements with my way of thinking. Now, I and hope no one expects these games to make you a genius, but should help improve daily thinking requires.

Tip for consumers: Read before you buy, if you want cheap apps, cheap apps is what you get. Life is not free, so pick wisely. But don't be upset if you're expectation are let down!

woodsieo
8/25/14

I'm giving the one star review because their auto renewal process is deceptive. No where was I told that my yearly subscription would be auto drafted from my bank account, until today I received a notice that I had approved the $74.95 annual fee. I thought that last year I had just signed up for one year. I wasn't notified in advance or sent a reminder that this was happening until after the fact. All that is beside the fact that I think it's overpriced for what you get. Lumosity, automatically making your customers always renew without reminding them before hand or giving them the option, and having us have to change that in our profile, if you're lucky enough to figure it out before getting the charge, is NOT a way to keep users happy or coming back. Also, when you call the customer service number, there is no representative, you have to leave a voicemail which says they'll get back to you in 3 days.

Tip for consumers: Be careful that your settings are set to the subscription preference that you want. You wouldn't think to do this, but you'll get surprised with charges and get upset!

peggyk
8/7/14

I signed up for an account an immediately began getting daily spam from two other sources. Its obvious to me they are selling their contact lists. Not cool.

nancyj20
8/5/14

I signed up for Lumosity in May of 2014. I thought the $14.95 was a one-time charge. In fact, it's $14.95 per month. That is not something I saw at all, and feel it's more than a little deceiving. Took me two more months to really see the charge (yes, that's my fault). Though, I also feel that it's what Lumosity counts on -- that people won't notice/investigate that small amount coming out of their bank account. Lumosity refunded ONE month of $14.95 when I complained to both PayPal and Lumosity directly. I guess the other month was the price for lesson learned. Yup, I guess you could call that Brain Training of sorts!

peggya4
8/4/14

I sure hate to be negative, but I DID like this app. I give it no stars (but have to give one) because it is way too expensive. There are free games that allow you to build neurons. The games are very limited via the app compared to a computer, it's not worth it. Yet more importantly, it gets no stars because it you sign up for a yearly subscription and do not know that you have signed up for auto-renewal this company feels that it is not important to let you know that you have. All of the auto-renewals or auto-payments that I have set up send advanced warning that your credit card/bank account is about to be charged to my email or my phone. This includes Apple, my isp, my car payment, my phone, the water softener people, Godaddy, and this list goes on. They also let you know that you account has been charged. Not Lumosity. Yes, my credit score has been damaged for because of a payment made with a credit card that I do not use and, therefore do not check it's balance. In fact the last and only time I used it was to renew my Lumosity subscription. This is one of those "There ought to be a law" situations.

toms119
7/23/14

Good mental work out, but if you use an I Pad there are very few games. They are so far behind the trend away from computers. Not worth money on an IPad!

jonathanj18
7/15/14

You cant talk to customer service...I'm on my 6th day waiting for a refund...any business that avoids their customers, I AVOID THEM.

jenniferl54
7/11/14

Games were challenging, but got a little boring after awhile. When you sign up, there is a clause that your membership will renew automaticallly in a year. I circled the date on my calendar and before my renewal date, decided to give it a rest, cancel my enrolment online.
Months later, when looking over my charge bills, there was a renewal charge for Lumosity! I had not used the site since my cancellation. They will not reimburse me because of a six month limit for renewals. Shocked and disappointed! Shady response from what I had thought was a respected company.

theog10
7/7/14

Have had an account for 2 years now, have never had issues! It's great!
They release new games, new challenges and recently launched the mobile app. My Android phone runs it perfectly. (It's the first version of the app, there will be more games added soon it says)
I've track my progress, while the numbers say I'm getting quicker with better memory, I've actually noticed a change myself. People's names, driving directions, quick math, I've impressed myself sometimes.
You have to stay at it! I do it 3-4 times a week. Lunchbreaks usually.
If you stop using it, you'll performance will decrease.
Maybe this is where all the bad reviews come from......dumb people!
It will not make you MAGICALLY smarter.
As far as the price, I used to buy video games, $29.99, $59.99, $79.99, play them for 3 weeks and shelf them. Hundreds of dollars a year.
Now that I'm not a kid anymore, $60 a year for Lumosity, is easily justifiable.
You pay for a gym membership for special machines and equipment, but you can't fork over $60/yr for your brain. Oh gosh. I fear where the world is headed!

Highly recommend it to anyone who wants to stay sharp and keep their brain active.

I don't know how it could be a scam, you pay, and you receive a service.
I got my family hooked and we pay for a Family Plan. No complaints.

ek41
7/4/14

There might be some value to this application, but their customer service is so terribly poor that it will have you wishing you could deal with a non-native-speaking, off-shore customer support person instead. If there's any possibility you might need some help with this program .... don't sign up for it!!!

belah
7/2/14

They have a promising product.
Top down non listening management
No contact between customers and staff.
Deceitful business practices.
What a pity. Frustrating
They need to make it easy to be in touch with customer experience. The do the opposit.

ginab17
7/2/14

Lumosity.com - Very good. The tests are challenging and fun. Every now and then the site apps load slowly, but overall everything works perfectly. I have it on my PCs, smartphone, iPad. No issues or troubles. It's fun challenging myself. I have increased in ability. My scores have gone up. I feel more confident and I see what my strengths and weaknesses are across the board. It's easy, simple and fun!

shahrokhf
6/23/14

Lumosity.com are bunch of thieves. they got my friend's money(took the credit card info and all other information and after transaction was done) when he started to use the software, she got an error msg saying that her device is not supported. she tried to get customer support, no body answers the customer support line.
Also my wife registered to test the software as they advertise it for a month in a free basis, she was only able to use it for one day. But after that they are doing heavy marketing to sell her the subscription.
in summary if you are interested in brain teaser software look somewhere else. Lumosity are bunch of thieves.

gailc21
6/13/14

wish it could be no stars! used it for a couple of months years ago, no benefit whatsoever - but autorenewal! and "help centre" is just a bunch of system-generated junk. stay away!

crisc5
6/3/14

I admit to being enticed by the supposed brain science and ability to improve my memory and brain function by playing games. I should have known better than to be lured by the heavy marketing and fabulous claims. I paid nearly $100 for a 2 yr subscription and was denied a refund when I realized I had been duped (not only was there no improvement in memory despite constant claims of stellar performance by the Lumosity measures, but I had become the target of a heavy handed marketing campaign designed to get me to pressure family and friends to sign up). I subscribed to this service based on the marketing claims of improved memory and brain performance. It seemed more credible coming from an educational based background and as an educator that appealed to me. I found it difficult to access the website from the foreign locations where I often work and the i-phone app was not the same quality of experience and seemed far less legitimate than the regular web page version. More importantly, I noticed no improvement in memory or any other brain function after using this consistently for over 2 months, despite the company claims my brain’s performance was miraculously improved. The rating system of where I stood with my age group was frankly suspect and seemed designed to only encourage me to continue playing games just to beat others. It became clear there was nothing credible in this data and the company had few other people in my demographic subscribed, so the performance comparisons had no solid basis. The performance numbers seemed rigged to encourage me to get friends and family to subscribe and then compete with them. I was bombarded with family and friend plan options. This service should sell itself based on its 'science-grounded' merits - not a heavy handed marketing campaign. After several months ‘playing brain games’ I realised that it is a scam, designed to squeeze money from gullible customers wanting to optimize their memory and performance. There is no discernable improvement in my mental capacity or memory since I subscribed. Now they refuse to give me a refund for the year and a half that's left of the subscription and I’ve been forced to lodge a complaint with the BBB.

rebeccab25
5/30/14

I have been a user for about six months. I really like it! In my opinion, it is most certainly NOT a scam. I have not had any issue with billing (I paid for a year after trying it for free on my iPad, and did not sign up for "automatic renewal," so I haven't yet gotten to any potential issue on that). The service is MUCH better on the computer than on the iPad. The iPad games are well-designed, but there just aren't very many of them (maybe 12 compared to around 40?). So, if you only want to use your iPad for these types of games, I wouldn't recommend signing up. There is a wide variety of games on the computer, though. They focus on five different areas of "brain power." While I don't know if it's actually building brain power, I don't think it is hurting me, and I really do enjoy a lot of the games. The "train game" is completely addictive!

vanessac8
5/5/14

This is a scam !! I only wanted to try it once and it auto-renew EVERY MONTH without notifying me and when you cancel you have several steps to actually fully cancel it. This site has taken so much of money and it's being doing it for a full year paying $14.95 /month

debrab19
4/17/14

Beware, when you try to cancel the automatic renewal....you think you have cancelled but you must go through a mulit-step process, see below, or they will charge you again and NOT give you a refund.

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. If you only clicked on the first cancel link, this did not cancel auto-renewal. In order to fully turn off auto-renewal, you have to go through a multiple step process that ends in you explaining why you are turning off auto-renewal. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like you did this. Since we cannot process your refund, the only option available to you is to dispute the charge with your credit card company. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Best,

Matt

joanb26
3/27/14

I love this site. I can really tell that my brain has improved. My memory is much better and I think I respond to everything much faster. Everyone should try this - well worth the few minutes a day I spend. I've been doing this for more than 13 months now and look forward to the daily games.

angelm26
3/25/14

BEWARE OF THIS CON
A scam and a rip off, once they get hold of credit card details it is too late.
I joined and was very unpleasantly surprised I made a complaint to Apple Apps about this scam.
Games that you get get free free on other sites.
LUMOSITY JUST A RIP OFF AND SCAM

consumery
3/25/14

Tried it. Wasn't that impressed but, I wouldn't have thought it was a scam. Just no one really used it in the house. Tried to cancel. They KEEP taking money out of my account (not just for the one month I signed up for). The latest is "we will refund you but, this is your fault because it was set up as auto pay" even though I tried to cancel on their site several times (There is no customer service line) then I finally just had to block there charges on my card.

steved43
3/23/14

Website easy to navigate, I used an iPad mini to sign up for an account. After signing up by supplying my birthdate and an email address rather than using my FB login (doing so gives them access to your friends list and google activity). I then answered a few more questions. After being redirected to the home page, I tried to access the "limited" games that are free. All of the games, tests, and other account items are all locked. It appears that if you are an iPad user the only thing free is the ability to sign up for a lumosity account, you must pay to access and use everything as an iPad or iPad mini user.

juand6
3/19/14

Great games and friendly people. I've really enjoyed my brain training exercises. I know some people have had some bad experiences but, personally, I have no complaints. On the contrary, I've received great customer support and I've seen dramatic improvement on my Brain Power!

bobm101
3/12/14

Stay away from this one.
Neat concept.
Problem is there is very little available on iPad.
They state more is coming but no action appears to be happening.
Instead of being Customer focused when I contested them they simply fell back on their "policy".
Avoid signing on with them. They are pretty lousy to deal with.
Not worth the trouble.

neils32
3/10/14

I have been using them for 3 years. I am 55 years old and found their site fantastic and has helped my brain performance incredibly. I paid monthly for 1st 2 years, now pay yearly. It fits my budget and quite affordable; have never been ripped off. Their service contact can be a little slow but they do have over 500K users.

I have tried other sites, paid and non-paid; for the moment Lumosity has my confidence.

eriky
3/9/14

its a scam
I enjoyed first two month and I stopped playing it
I paid by credit card
but they just charged me for another month without any notice or explanation!!!
yeahh i was paying auto renewal.... and i didn't know bout it
i can accept it coz its my fault to not read it
but They charge me extra two times exactly 2 days later after I made the payment!!
they charged me on 2014.02.03 and 2014.03.03 when I made two payments on 2014.01.31 and 2014.03.01!!!
I heard tat they are abusing users card information and i am not alone!!
so just keep away from this crap

lindaj27
2/24/14

I really enjoyed the games and saw good results from playing them.

Trouble started when I signed on one day to find I was locked out of all games.
Tried through their Help department and got very strange responses such as your profile shows you are under 13 years of age so we cannot help you. I clarified my age. Days later another request for credit card information etc. and still no access to games. I have been trying to make contact again but now no response.

Lumosity is spending a great deal of money on TV ads, banner ads etc. with virtually NO CUSTMER SUPPORT. If you want an exercise in frustration sign up to this sight.

kdogw
2/16/14

Well I heard about this site from a friend of mine about 6 months ago, I tried it for free because why the heck not?
At first I didn't notice much, did not do it daily and mostly just wanted the benifets of membership and the opportunity to play more games.
Now I use it everyday and am consistently remembering more, using bigger words, making decisions easier and solving math problems FAST.
I am a free member now and without charging me a single penny Luminosity has improved my mental ability on several notable points. I may make the decision to purchase a membership a little further down the line but for now I am one HAPPY guy.
I should also mention that a lot of the problems people are mentioning on this website are issues with their application/internet/money etc.. I work on computers and somehow all of mine work perfectly for this website.
Luminosity has no problems and the customer service is doing their job. Every time I read a bad review it is USER issues.
Give it a try for free don't just pay for it on the first day. I am six months in and still only considering a pay membership.

lindaj26
2/16/14

I want to use this service for one month as some game are not programmed for an IPAD..most could not be used...I made sure no credit card information was in my profile.....I quit using the service before the 30 was up....I was charged again....They said my card was on auto renew which it was not. ....So BUYER BEWARE

elaines14
2/11/14

Terrible company that doesn't give a hoot about customers. The single most reprehensible customer service I've ever experienced. I've been asking for a refund on the second year of my 2 year term because I don't have time to use their service and they just continue to refuse my request. I seriously hope that people stay away from this company and their bait and switch marketing. I'm actually shocked that their practices are in compliance with FTC rulings on direct marketing.

ahmetb8
2/8/14

Hi;

I bought one year program from Lumosity 2 weeks ago. The games are great but i don't have time for the games. So i wanted to cancel my acount. They paid back my money in 2 days. In this forum; some people says; they don't refund their money. It's a lie. Lumosity is great and has quickliy solved my problem. Thanks for that.

My best regards,

Ahmet id..

gbryans
2/1/14

I've been using Lumosity.com for several months and like it very much. I feel my brain is sharper because of this training.

As far as customer service goes, I haven't tried to contact them because I haven't any problems. I go on the site everyday, play, get my "brain score" and go on with my life.

If you want to join and are not sure you are going to like it, pay with a credit card. If you don't like it, tell your credit card company that you no longer want to pay Lumosity. It doesn't matter if you can't get a hold of Lumosity customer service. Just have your credit card company stop paying them. Your credit card company will always back you in these kinds of situations!

tracen1
2/1/14

I've been doing lumosity training for about six months. I was very consistent early on and then just stopped doing the training altogether. I have recently returned to a regular pattern. For me, I completely notice a difference! If I do the training my memory is MUCH better and I do feel much more alert during the day after I get the training done. I was shocked to read all of the negative reviews. I really think this is a legit business and I'm super glad I am part of the Lumosity Training courses.

lumou
2/1/14

There are some flaws with the games, and your BPI is drastically affected depending on which device you use. My BPI doubled once I switched to an ipad from a PC--that's because the ipad has a touchscreen, so it's easier to pick up speed with that feature. The ipad, however, offers only a subset of games that you can get on the PC. The ipad has maybe 10-12 games, while the PC version has about 40 games. I have found flaws with two games, and within a month, I am at the 96th percentile for my age group--the big leap was because I switched to the ipad. The games are interesting, but I would like more statistics/data to accompany each one. I can see how I rank in general--across the board. But I would like to see how I rank on a per-game basis. I also think the company should provide an overview of how you rank and what that means in terms of daily functioning. For example, if I rank high in <x area> at particular times of the day and lower at other times--or if it's obvious that I rank better/worse after/before meals or after/before exercise, they could provide that information. They could offer optional quick surveys after each game to pull this data and then aggregate it into something useful. I enjoy playing some of the games, but I'm not sure if it's really improving my cognition or if I am just getting better at particular games.

Sites for Brain Games – Reviewed By Consumers