US Government's NSF

1st Review:
kristinas

657 Reviews for LivingSocial

Review Highlights

I have been calling all day & the phone rings off the hook.

I bought an Amazon gift card and it was easy to use and a great discount.

If you are a business owner, be prepared to experience a loss per customer.

1 star
Rating Distribution

▼ Sort by: recent

11/25/13

Living Social Ripped Me Off ! Took my money for a " Service " . The contractor refused to perform the service and Living Social refused to return my money. Living Social is a scam. Do NOT use them. Be Warned , Steer Clear.

11/19/13

Livingsocial.com is one of the worst ways to discover a new business I am finding based on a few experiences. The businesses you get a coupon for always hate on the customers when they use the deal that they offered. However, it should be the businesses time to show off what a great business they are, but instead fail miserably by hating on customers using coupons that they themselves offer up. If you don't like customers using them, don't offer them. Poor experiences with the businesses makes you not want to go back.

Also, they have fine print that is very misleading and conflicting. In one area it says that the "Paid Value Does Not Expire", however, they say in the Fine Print it says " voucher subject to forfeiture".

11/19/13

Just terrible customer service. They will repeatedly cut and paste generic responses to any emails. Good luck ever getting in touch on the phone.
They will not accept returns, no matter what the reason. Product arrived damaged or didn't arrive at all? Tough luck, you paid for it.

11/18/13

Do not ever buy off this site unless you want to give away your money. Bought world sim cards. When entered the voucher numbers they said that it had been used. No help when I rang up. So I guess thats my money down the drain. Deleting their app!!

11/18/13

I bought a voucher for a restaurant in toronto and planned to use it for my birthday..It expired Nov. 11th as per voucher...When I called on the 9th to make a reservation a tape kept coming on asking the customer to make the reservation..I wanted to talk to a real live person to indicate that I had a voucher as the small print in the voucher says I should do...I called on Sunday and continuously got the tape again and again...It turns out that the restaurant is closed every Sunday and Monday and has been so for a very long time...When I called LivingSocial and asked why they would make the expiration date on a day that the restaurant was closed, they told me that I had the voucher since July and should have known and furthermore even if the restaurant were open, there is no guarantee that there was availability..To which I said, 'fine and that would make it my fault', but that opportunity was not even given to me as the restaurant was closed for the two days that the voucher implies it to be open...Out of the 99 dollars that I paid they were prepared to give me a 30 dollar credit..They also said that it was the merchant's problem for not being open and they could do nothing about that...well yes they could..they could have made the expiration day two days earlier and I could live with that...

11/16/13

My kids gave me a Living Social voucher for a company called "Racing Box" last Christmas. Racing Box is a company that sells laps in a Ferrari at a race track. I tried for over a month to schedule a time to take advantage of the offer and the website would not work. Phone calls and emails to Racing Box went unanswered. At this point I started checking the internet for reviews on Racing Box and there were hundreds all calling the company a scam. People either were not able to schedule a time and others who did showed up at the track only to find nobody there. Living Social has stated that they will refund the money to my son. We'll see.

11/14/13

Don't want to know once you've bought. My purchase was faulty and didn't work. Emailed LS. Told me to get in touch with merchant. Emailed merchant. Nothing. Emailed LS, said give them longer! Been over a week and nothing. Emailed LS again they said if nothing by 12th Nov get back in touch. Emailed LS on 12th still waiting for reply. Not going to hold my breath. Don't bother. No such problem with Wowcher, Groupon etc. STAY CLEAR!

11/14/13

i am not sure why so many people complaining me personally i love livingsoical.com i always find great deals and prices last weekends i found some great prices for Broadway show %50 off regular price.

11/12/13

I have a coupon for proplants from Living Social. I get a message that the redemption code is expired or invalid when I try to use it. I have emailed 2x to living social and they have not replied or refunded my account.

11/12/13

Two of their venders did not honor the vouchers as advertised. One played phone tag with me for weeks and didn't return emails. After months of this LS finally refunded my money. This was after I contacted the BBB and also told LS I was closing my account. The other didn't honor the "paid voucher amount." When I emailed LS about this latter one they contacted the business who agreed to honor the next time I came in. Why exactly would I go back and spend more money at a restaurant that was supposed to have honored the paid voucher amount. I too would give LS a rating of 0 stars if there were one to give. The only reason I haven't closed the account already is I had some vouchers to spend.

11/10/13

I have used this site several times without issue. Until now. I bought a "racing experience" for Racingbox. It ended up being a scam. Living Social DID refund my money, but not until I called them on my way back from the race track. They offered me 10 living social bucks...I felt that 75 was appropriate for 5 hours of babysitting and a half tank of gas...but they wouldn't go above 35. They said they did notify me with an email, however my voucher was still available and my money was still gone until I gave them a phone call. The email itself must have gone to my junk box. When you have a customer that is out $350 because your business invested in a scam, you should make every effort to contact them ASAP! I will be sticking with Groupon from here on out.

11/7/13

It's ok if all goes well. However as soon as a merchant doesn't honor the deal they don't want to know and are very unhelpful.
It's difficult to claim money back as living social says to get it off the merchant and the merchant says to get it from Living social.
I've just lost £80 on a course that I bought that was later cancelled.

11/3/13

Purchased Nifty Spots. Had trouble processing coupon. Color received was different from ordered. Then they tacked on shipping charges that were not mentioned or included in the ad. When I contacted Living Social they said they would pass the news on - no effort on their part at all to help. Now Living Social doesn't even send emails here any more. Guess they didn't like the remarks I left about questioning why wouldn't they help me. .

10/31/13

I have been buying deals from Living Social since they first came out. I have had very few problems with businesses honoring the deals, and if I do, Living Social has given me a refund or Living Social deal bucks to use on a future purchase. All purchases of goods from businesses have also carried Living Social's backing. I have been able to return items that did not meet up to the quality standards I expected. Because of Living Socials deals I have been able to try things I never would have in any other situation. Hang gliding was the most exciting deal I bought, along with my 80 year old mother and two of my sisters, because of the great bargain we got. It is important that anyone buying a voucher read the fine print. You need to be aware of any rules that apply to the deal you are purchasing. I recommend Living Social wholeheartedly!

10/30/13

I was given a Living Social coupon as a gift. I tried to use it 2 weeks before its expiration date and the shop wouldn't honor it because they had no more open appointments. Living Social was impossible to get help from. I had 4 long phone calls, after getting disconnected from the first. Each person on the phone gave me different information on how to resolve the issue of getting credit for my gift. I wound up having to contact the gift-giver 3 times, following the advice I'd gotten from Living Social. It was frustrating, disconcerting, and disappointing. I have unsubscribed and recommend you do the same!

10/28/13

They have lots of problems.
Be careful!
1. They charged me twice with some error message. They will not refund after 7 days even though it is their error. There is no confirmation button or page to review or check what you buy what so ever.

2. They don't have review about product. Be careful! They don't care to sell scam product.
I bought something cost around $60 and it said original price is $300. But actual market price is $60 not $300. They lie about original price. It is complaining about vendor. but LivingSocial need to be responsible if vendors have issue.

10/28/13

Horrible experience, dishonest merchants, City Girl Handyman voucher was purchased they lied about coming out or calling and living social refused to refund.

10/17/13

I had an issue with a Night of Mystery murder mystery party I purchased. I could not get ahold of the Night of Mystery company easily, but Living Social took care of my problem for me and the customer service staff were really helpful. They also answered the phone after one ring, so maybe they have more customer service staff now?

10/16/13

living doing a good job in partnering with scammers like epic laser & spa they kept my $125 & never get a refund..they are scammers beware!!. shame on you

10/15/13

CROOKS with the worst customer service! Just bought a deal for a 3 nights stay in a hotel in vegas for $501, the price dropped right after to $183 for the same dates. After 3 days of back and forth with their awful custumer service, we got zero refund and they simply took the deal off their website.. What a scam! will never be using them again..

10/14/13

Had a voucher for King Richards faire that wouldn't print. The Faire told me it's living socials problem, living social said Eventbrite's problem and Eventbrite couldn't help. Living social refused to give my money back and of course the vouchers expire with no use in 1 more week. GUESS THAT WAS $68 DOWN THE TOLIET.

10/10/13

Read their fine print, people! Come on, if you're going to be ordering something online and putting your credit card on a site, the least you can do is read the fine print. The deals are cheap and they cater to mom and pop places which is why you pay the low prices that you pay.

10/2/13

I ordered the "Google Tablet" retail value $340 for $59 because I thought it was a "Google" tablet and the actual retail value was $340. Not even close. This thing is not a "Google" brand at all. It gets so hot it could burn your hands, the screen quality is terrible and gets worse in the dark. It's not worth $20, never mind $340... it's junk. I will be returning it, if the return policy isn't as big of a joke as their false advertising.

10/1/13

My partner purchased a deal for me, but hen I went to redeem it, I was told by the merchant I was not eligible as I had bought the deal before for myself. The small print read: "One voucher per customer, additional valid as gifts". We naturally assumed this meant that if I was gifted a voucher I could use it. In fact it meant that I could buy one for someone else as a gift.

Trying to contact Living Social was a nightmare - when I emailed them, I was told my partner must contact them as he was the one who bought the deal. When he emailed them, he was told they would only speak to me as the deal had been gifted to me! A total of over 30 emails went back and forth containing conflicting information and stock responses. They refused to acknowledge or accept responsibility for the fact that their small print was misleading, nor would they give us a refund. We were unable to phone customer services as we live in the UK and no UK phone number was provided on the site.

We are now £200 out of pocket and all they could offer us was a voucher credit. It's once in a blue moon that I find anything on Living Social that would make me want to part with my money - I'd literally looked out for the deal I wanted for over a year before it came up again.

This company has absolutely appalling customer service - by the time I find anything I want to redeem the credit for, they will probably be bankrupt.

9/30/13

I bought a voucher for a bouncy house for my son's first birthday. I called the company to book the bouncy house 3 weeks in advance of the party and they were completely booked. The only reason I bought it was for his party and now I'm out $80 and I still have to book and pay for another vendor. Living Social offered me deal buck which is fine, but now I've ended up paying $200 for something that should have cost me $80. I'll never book a living social deal again...not worth it.

9/26/13

I had a coupon for $25 for Michael Todd Organics. The ad was very confusing and i thought the $150 product was for $25. it was not. Only to use $25 towards $150. I asked for a refund and they wouldn't give me one. Had sent an email and never saw one in return. When I called I got the run around by three 20 somethings who knew nothing about customer service. (No offense to anyone that age). They are very inexperienced company with young management and don't know how to negotiate with anyone keep customers. I won't use another deal from them. They won't survive.

9/26/13

BUYER BEWARE! We bought a Cape Cod escape on Living Social looking forward to spending a couple of days away. However every time we went to book a room, the hotel said that "1 room" allocated the voucher was booked, however they would be happy to sell us another room for an additional $132- $164 a night! This hotel also has a 14 day cancellation policy so if you book in advance and have to cancel - you loose the voucher completely! Try to resolve this with Living Social - the broker of the deal and they tell you to work with the merchant. Call the merchant and they say it was part of the deal they made with Living Social. Living Social is deceptive at best as to how they present these deals to their customers - while all along protecting the merchants. We are now out our $384 and cannot find a way to resolve this.

9/25/13

I order a 4 piece Microfiber sheet set on 8-28-2013, today 9-25-2013 I am still waiting for my order. No resolution to my case very bad customer service.

Silvia Lopez

9/22/13

Multiple issues with multiple vouchers. Initially livingsocial assisted in resolution. However, now, they just tell you to contact the company, and "good luck with that" kind of service. Avoid them. They have been exhibiting less and less admirable customer service. I predict failure.

9/18/13

Crap service and they stole my money with pest control voucher which merchant can't validate and can't refund...waste website do not recommend to anyone...

9/18/13

We used livingsocial to purchase vouchers for West Coast Basketball clinic back in August limited time and space available! The clinic started September 16th outside at a Middle School blacktop,they had over 290 kids (ages 6-16) and only 12 High School kids to teach. Our 6 year old was upset since he could not shoot a basket- ball in to a regulation height basketball hoop. My older child 10 years old just stood in long lines to do a few drills. Needless to say we wanted a refund from Livingsocial! Their response is; "sorry your purchase did not work out, our refund policy is within 7 days of the purchase not when you receive your purchase." That's ok, we tried livingsocial we lost $200.00 but we hope to help other families understand how livingsocial does business!! Do Not Buy Anything from this company if you will not use it in 6 days from the purchase date!!

9/18/13

Terrible. The IPhone App works one minute then not the next. The company does not back up the deals that they put forth. Buyer Beware!

9/16/13

Early last week I purchased a 4 night package at the Christinia hotel in Vail, Colorado through Living Social during the Christmas 2013 holidays. My credit card was charged for the entire amount upfront. All flights were made and we were looking forward to the experience. On Friday evening I received an email message saying that Living Social appreciates me contacting them to cancel the reservation and that my money has been refunded. Since I didn't contact them I immediately called them to see what the problem was with the email that I received. When I called them back they said that there had been a "technical issue" and that they had refunded my money due to the hotel not having any availability. When I looked on other hotel sites there is a lot of availability but the price of the hotel is significantly higher than what I booked through Living Social. First of all they sent me a standard form email and didn't have the decency to apologize for my inconvenience. When I talked to Customer Support they immediately said that the fine print on their main website allows them to CANCEL any package at anytime. This is a major double standard since if I were to cancel I would have lost all my money that I paid upfront. I'm currently in the process of fighting this decision and plan to fight this to the finish. I'm tired of fraudlent companies taking advantage of consumers. I promise I will educate the rest of the Living Social community.
Case Number 11055

9/14/13

I bought a voucher that the merchant would not honor and Living Social would be refund or even give me deal bucks. Never buy anything from them. They stole my money

9/11/13

like most people, living social has known bad vendors, will not refund money for known bad vendors. one example is Leila's house cleaning service. Pretty much everyone got duped, just looked at her reviews. called living social was lied to by rep chris that I was the only complaint. I guess they would go out of business if they actually refunded money by bad vendors. Well one of a few that will not use their services again.

9/10/13

Do not buy services from these people. I bought a car detail and the company wouldn't honor my coupon and told me to go get a refund. No refund available unless I wanted "deal bucks" for what will likely be another bad service provider. This is just a wholesaler who provides offers from companies who can't earn business in other ways. Uhg does not describe how stupid I feel for having bought something from them.

9/7/13

Bought a LivingSocial deal for $75 for 2 hours of handyman service. The handyman came out and we showed him what we wanted done (it was more than 2 hours worth but willing to pay their going rate). The handyman then emailed me and said a quote was on its way. After not hearing anything for other a month and no response to my emails, I contacted LivingSocial. They said that I was out of luck and that they wouldn't issue a refund as it wasn't their fault that the handyman wasn't contacting me. LivingSocial doesn't screen the companies they do business with and won't back up any of their deals if they go south (unlike Groupon who will offer a refund if the offer isn't honored by the business who offers it). Stay far away from LivingSocial!

8/31/13

They advertise, sold and charged me for a kayak experience, but the kayak company was all booked, over a month out. The Kayak company told us the "deal had been too popular" (over selling) and that they would extend the deal through labor day. We go to book later in the summer and the company has a message saying they are booked through the end of the season. No way to leave a message. No response to e-mails. I have tried to book all summer with no luck. When I approached Living Social, they keep sending me form letters and take no responsibility to charging for a deal that there wasn't enough availability, even mid-day on week days, to actually provide the services. I'm guessing this is a major part their business model. All the costumer care representatives were unsympathetic and unwilling to address this issue. I received a series of form e-mails in response to my many contacts.

8/30/13

after dealing with these people, I feel quite scammed. Although it's not a lot of money (less than $60) it's my money, I think they just try and wear you down so you'll give up, and they try to come of something so cool. All they do is answer your email for a time

8/27/13

Merchants beware! Living Social does not actually enforce the exclusions or "rules" of the deal you post. For example - a 2 per person maximum on purchase of vouchers: people will buy more then 2 and Living Social accepts no responsibility as they feel they can't possibly keep track of who is buying what, they will also refund vouchers that have been redeemed and put the loss on the merchant then allow the same customer to purchase more vouchers and leave it up to merchant to refuse to accept additional vouchers. Basically you can expect Living Social to not adhere to any of the terms listed in the merchant/Living Social contract - and threaten to charge you commission on all unpurchased vouchers if you want to end your deal early for breach of contract (which you can do, regardless of what their reps tell you). Hold them accountable to the terms of the agreement and expect to babysit this absurdly unprofessional company

8/27/13

If there was a way not to give a star I would. I ordered 3 face brushes from Vitiagoods. I received 3 vouchers and 1 of them is invalid. I tried to contact Vitagoods to no avail. I contacted LlvingSocial within the 7 day refund window. It took LivingSocial 10 days to respond. Naturally it is out of the 7 day window of refunds. There have been multiple emails sent back and forth between LivingSocial and myself. The outcome I got ripped off.

8/26/13

I bought a voucher and everything was good, then I mistakenly bought a 7 piece comforter and emailed them right after to cancel, they said they couldn't find it even though I got a confirmation email. Then a day later I try again, they tell me it's too late, no refunds when the fine prints said refunds within 7 days and they cancel my voucher too. Save yourself a headache

8/25/13

I have had great luck and have bought great deals through livingsocial. But then I bought the voucher for two hours with a contractor. The contractor's website showed that he is offers full service remodeling. So I bought it for $69. I knew I needed to have wallpaper hung. When the time came for the work to be done, he called and said that he doesn't do wallpapering. So I asked for a refund or credit, and was told to give it away as a gift, because the fact that he couldn't do the job wasn't a good enough reason for them to refund my money. Then I posted the issue on their page. They came onto the post and asked me to message them so they could help me. That was last Thursday, and I never heard from them again, though I've written them twice more. So they basically took $69 from me and intend to keep it and give me nothing in return. I would suggest that if anyone is looking for a personal service being offered by livingsocial, they should beware.

8/24/13

Couldn't use the restaurant voucher, because the restaurant couldn't accommodate another customer with a voucher. Made reservation for next week same time online, and restaurant called to inform it's gonna be closed until the date voucher expire.
Living social refuse to refund, and claim that the first and last week of the voucher period are usually their busiest time.
Beware of their refund policy!

8/23/13

I'm hoping people read these review before purchasing a livingsocial, I sure wish I did. I have had no issues with the gift certificates because you can click on ANY living social email you get, go to "My Vouchers" it's located at the very top right side of the page. Click on that, it will list your recent vouchers (if not, click on purchase history) then select the voucher you want to print. They are usually ready within seconds.

The major problem is when you purchase merchandise that gets shipped from the company itself, not livingsocial. I have been waiting 50 days for a hammock I purchased and never received from the company. So read the fine print, if it's merchandise that will ship from the company directly, living social can't promise you will get it. I have been waiting over 7 days to hear back from living social about this deal and they haven't been able to help me. The company Cautivadora has sent me several excuses & told me it was shipped but it never came. Their company is in NY & I am in DE so it shouldn't take more than a few days to get. Now they are ignoring all my emails & don't answer their phone.

I'm convinced this is a scam & blame livingsocial because they need to do a better job screening the companies they do business with. I trusted them & got ripped off. They were not able to help me get this resolved therefore I feel they left me hi & dry. I will not be purchasing another livingsocial & am doing my best to prevent anyone else from ending up in my same boat. I'm out over $80. The worse part was that this was a birthday gift for a big camping trip we were taking & I had to run out last minute & grab whatever I could find on the shelves. Very sad.

Livingsocial, thanks for the worse online experience I've ever had.

8/22/13

Purchased voucher for Stride Stand up paddleboarding, booked lesson well in advance with a friend so we could coordinate schedules/babysitters, received confirmation 3 days prior to lesson. We showed up to location early as instructed and no one was there. Finally left about 10 minutes after lesson was supposed to start and called vendor. He returned call the next day saying he had sent an email changing the location. My friend and I never received that change and that is because he typed the email address wrong. We asked him for a refund and he said okay we'd have to go through Livingsocial. We applied for refund through LivingSocial and they denied saying we were outside of the window. We called and explained that this was the vendor's fault and not ours and we shouldn't have to book another lesson again and waste more of our time. LivingSocial hasn't returned our phone calls/emails since then. Shady operation at best. Yes, they're hooking you up with deals, but beware if anything goes wrong they will NOT have your back. We're currently processing refund through our credit cards!

8/21/13

I purchased tickets for a show and they advertise that if 3 people purchase the same deal through your "special link" then your ticket is free. I received the e-mail from Living Social indicating that my money would be refunded since 3 people bought the deal through my link. I have been trying for over a month to get my money back and they keep telling me that the 3 purchases didn't qualify. How is that possible when all of us attended the event together and EVERYTIME someone made a purchase I received an e-mail telling me I was a step closer to a free deal. These people are full of crap!

8/19/13

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!! The customer service is just awful!! I was tossed around to multiple different people between emails and phone calls and given the run around. I asked for a refund because the company I had a deal with was no longer running the route that my deal was good for because the city of Chicago would not allow it. I asked for a refund and was basically told that the company could get the route back sometime before 2017 when the paid amount of the deal expires. I said that was unlikely and that I wanted my money back and they were going to do me a "favor" by giving me $159 in deal bucks! Why would I want deal bucks that I have to spend with their company when they have such horrible service??! I reluctantly took the money but let them know I would never use their services again and I would spread how horrible the company is. I got an automated response that didn't address any of my issues and basically said we are glad we could help! When they didn't even help! A couple days later I got the same exact response but from a different customer service rep, really?

I recently went to use these deal bucks on a product that they were selling for $14 (regularly $29) and shipping not included... when I went to the product site which is where you would redeem the voucher, the product was selling on the site for $10!!! $4 less then what I was going to pay for it! What a joke! I would much rather buy directly from the consumer and save 4 dollars, not to mention give the consumer their full amount of money since living social also rips them off with the deals.

All in all do not use this awful piece of crap company that has no manners and doesn't know how to talk to and handle their customers. You think a customer service based company would know what customer service is. If anything check out groupon which I have never had any issues with especially when I needed a refund.

8/16/13

This is the WORST site ever !!!! This business does not care at all about their customers. They continue to give excuses about their unlawful business practices, absolutely refuse to refund money that was paid to them by customers when they to not fulfill orders. They will be out of business SOON. Groupon is rated much higher, have superb customer service and understand that the customer is always right !!! A philosophy livingsocial.com needs to incorporate !! Dont waste your money with livingsocial.com, Amazon, Groupon ect ...so much better !!!

8/15/13

I have bought quit a few items from this website. And resonantly had to go to customer service for help on an item I never receive. HORRIBLE customer service. Will not be purchasing any more items from this website!!!!

About LivingSocial
Specialties & Business Description
LivingSocial is a leading "daily deal" site that sells discounted experiences and local services--restaurants, spa trips, home services, travel, etc.--via voucher. The consumer must pay for the voucher upfront, and the voucher generally must be used within a specified time period or it cannot be redeemed. To make these deals possible, LivingSocial sells merchants on its ability to help "find and keep more customers". LivingSocial is a private company based in Washington DC and its shareholders include Amazon.com.
Meet the Business Representative