US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

calvinr8

About 90% of the projects that were backed have been fulfilled in the time frame that the project promised. (in 64 reviews)

jjammerd

If your goal is not matched by the due date (you set) then no money exchanges hands between you and your many backers. (in 37 reviews)

veronicas39

Also way too many people trying to fund little homemade candle operations. (in 29 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

sharonl61
3/17/16

Like most people out there, I thought Kickstarter had such a noble agenda and what a cool platform that helps making ideas happen. Last August I found two campaigns and I really liked their products. So I pledged. I spent $268 to buy two jackets from Baubax and $40 on 4 small devices from AwareCar. They both claimed to arrive in November. Guess what? Both projects delayed their production and shipment time. Ok, I get it, those are entrepreneurs who make their products for the first time. So I was being very patient. I waited and waited, received a series of announcement and emails from the project owners that the products were coming together. Last month I finally received the 4 devices from AwareCar with joy, and immediately tried it. Whoops, it only worked for 3 days. Two devices died, simply didn't get turned on. With great disappointment I reached out to the project owner, he asked me to replace the battery. I'm like what?? I need to buy new battery for a product I barely used. I won't spend a dime on this stupid product. And so for the Baubax jackets, it's been 6 months now, PRODUCTS NEVER ARRIVE. My patience has it limit. Here I am, wasted $300+ on Kickstarter where they absolutely do nothing to help backers.

Besides being a victim myself, I also heard so many bad experiences from other people. The site is full of crappy products/projects, or campaigns that seem so cool but product delays or never arrive. You end up losing money and Kickstarter takes their commission. Stay away folks!

ralpha16
3/10/16

you contribute and are told you will get the product at a certain time frame...but then there are issues...months go by. communications are lacking....nothing. contact kickstarter to complain about the product being late, no comm and then you find out the product is being sold online for the same price you contributed.. promised incentives of being a contributor is zilch. except the waste of time of writing and waiting to get your promised product. kickstarter responded with an email for me to rate the service...yep. that is all i got from them. they don't care. another product i got broke when i tried to use, and promised a replacement...never came. and the final one i contributed, has not shipped yet although others have the product. communications are poor. i feel why bother with this, the incentives are not worth it. save your money, purchase the item when it is really available.

teed14
2/10/16

SUCK - DON'T WAST YOUR ON TIME ON KICKSTARTER IF YOU DON'T HAVE A BIG HUGH FOLLOWING ALREADY.

What I means is, if you think your just going to place your Idea on KS and think people are going to back you (that a big mistake), if you think KS is going to promote you (that a big mistake), so way do you think you need KS - YOU DON'T!

KS wants 3% of your founding but does nothing for it, you do all the work 100%, you would be better off just making a website and having your fan base or your following just go there to invest.

You will see like i did , once you place your ad on KS you we be overwhelmed with Spamming emails asking for money, money,money,money, not wanting to invest but asking for money, money,money,money, telling you that they can help found your project up to 80% from anywhere from $99.99 to $1500. then some of them wont 7% of the top of your founding, scammer all of them trying to suck your money out of your pocket.

I got about 70 email all from different companies, saying the same exact thing on their website, say the same exact thing in their emails, Charging high rate's for placing paid ads a google and Facebook in your behalf, NOTE: just do it your self if your going to spend the money you don't need them at all.

Just like the promotion companies did when the SEO bull $#*! hot ( be at the top of google) bra bra bra bla take it from me I run a full business on the Internet and I have heard and see it all.

I hope this help !

raymontm
2/2/16

When people hear the word "crowdfunding", the first thing they think of is Kickstarter. They do a good job screening the submissions in making sure the quality of project on their platform at a higher standard. While there has been users who’s projects are often rejected, they have been very effective overall as they are the clear leader in both artistic and tech projects. They helped my Raytoons project get off the ground.

Tip for consumers: Make sure to include plenty of videos, pictures, and information about your project. My examples are here: https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/raytoons

tinan12
1/27/16

I have at present (jan 2016) a KS project, which started out ok, but after a few days, I got no pledges, and am way too far from my goal which is heart breaking. I have worked so hard on my artwork and writing for my own tarot deck. That's 78 pieces of art! I looked at other tarot projects that have raised dollars, that is to say American, but I am in UK and feel the other side of the pond has more backers for locals. Disapppointed, but will get it published, even if I have to save up for one single deck for meeee.

maxr23
1/24/16

KS's main goal is to connect people with ideas with people who got money and can support the realization of such ideas. It's a noble agenda. So why am I giving it such a poor rating. Well, to make long story short, most of the projects are not backed up by investors, not even projects with great ideas. That's because people, true people, behind KS are actually only fishing for ideas. Most businesses are losing in today's state of the global economy, so new ideas are needed to make everything move again, products that people really want to buy, even people with less deep pockets. Whoever achieves to come up with such products and services first, will gain top positions. If your idea is great, but you don't have the money, your project won't get support on KS or any similar service, it will be stolen as you will see companies being opened in the US doing what you wanted to do. That's the whole point of KS.

EDIT: of course to sell it like the real service with true agenda, they pick some silly projects and make them funded, make things happen and then they advertise those silly projects as great KS successes so real targets (the rest of us) would take the bait.

veronicas39
12/29/15

I've backed 2 projects: one went off without a hitch, came on time and everything worked out spectacularly. The other was delayed about a year, had no communication (aside from telling us about more delays and product issues) and pretty much killed the brand.
That being said, that's all the start ups and not Kickstarter itself. I can't speak for the site, but as a consumer just know what you're backing and understand that there is some risk involved. But yea, most of the stuff is either insanely expensive, very niche or crap. Also way too many people trying to fund little homemade candle operations.

Tip for consumers: Don't back anything insanely pricey. Yes, you want a product and not just a thank you card, but don't invest more than you're willing to lose.

jimmyb34
12/6/15

Recently, about a year ago, like many aspiring filmmakers, I went onto Kickstarter to help fund one of my film projects. But unlike the other hopefuls, I chose not to campaign for my project. Needless to say, I failed to receive any funding. I was by no ways shocked at the results; I expected those results. I wanted to prove a point. I went on Kickstarter once more, this time it was for a safety product I had created to save abandoned children. Once again, I refused to campaign myself. And, once again, I failed to receive any funding. And now I will reveal why I refused to campaign for myself--I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO!
Let's take a look at this objectively. Kickstarter's concept asks it's consumers to place their projects on their site. They then offer a slew of suggestions on how to go about campaigning to raise funds for your product. And when, on that magical day, you reach your financial goal, you are given the funds to launch your project minus their COMMISSION, and minus Amazon's commission. If you fail to reach your EXACT financial objective, you get NOTHING.
Think about this for a minute. You are asked to come up with a product, tweak the product, campaign to raise funds for YOUR product, and in the end Kickstarter and Amazon get a cut of what you have earned. What's the point in that? Our nation is inundated with MIDDLEMEN; Kickstarter fits that mold to a T. They're nothing more than pimps. They make money off your hard work. What's the point of these websites like Kickstarter if they do absolutely nothing to help you with the collecting of the funds, but draw their financial share provided by your hard work?
And yes, I also placed my safety product on Indiegogo, and as you may have guessed, the results, or lack of, were identical.
Let's stop supporting these PIMPS OF THE INTERNET.

andrewp50
12/3/15

The only thing that ever seems to make it out are music albums and board games for me. Everything else is just a waste of time, even board games can be hit or miss and it really comes down to backing only people you know will be successful. Too many failed projects or projects that go on for years after their expected ship date. I still do the occasional small one here or there but really I try to avoid it.

pinkp13
11/28/15

Kickstarter gets 5% of every transaction on the site, so they (and those who reached their funding goals) are probably the only ones happy.

This video from The Onion (news parody site) hits the nail on the head:

It is in the best interest of those raising funds to have a great looking page and words to entice investment. Once the funds are raised, Kickstarter considers the project a "success" and YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN if you are dealing with someone dishonest! Legal recourse is hard because it is difficult to prove intent.

The good news is, the FTC is coming after Kickstarter scammers, as evidenced by this article:

Stay away!

yvettep5
11/25/15

If the company goes belly up, you lose your money! And Kickstarter won't help you.

manniep9
11/23/15

I was filling out my form and there is this live chat window. I simply ask why are they asking for my credit card for the second time. The lady on the other end used vulgar language on me and informing me that I am giving them a hard time. Immediately offered me a refund. I fine and ask of my email address.

I am not sure if this is a scam. I don't know if I will have my refund back or not or how long will it take.

Be careful people. I will not advice you to sign up on their investment offer.

suzanc2
11/20/15

I've been waiting a year to be refunded on an investment I made through Kickstarter. The project went belly-up and Kickstarter did nothing to help the investors to be refunded.
I'm disappointed in Kickstarter and wish I'd never trusted them.

mks2
11/18/15

I was very moved by this project and am disgusted about the way Kickstarter ignored it on their spotlight and films we love pages. I truly believe this company practices cronyism and favoritism. Typical Hollywood wannabes. If I were a filmmaker I'd really support the films you are moved by, such as Peter Ertel's, and not fall in kickstarters' phoniness for a lot of the films "they love" which are so amateurish and teach us absolutely nothing.

noxk1
11/12/15

the truth is: it depends on if you are lucky and the project you are backing up is produced or if the project owner/company just runs of with the money.
No matter what, if kickstarter gets its 5% for successful funding, they don't give a sh*t.
So keep in mind, kickstarter is neither responsible nor willing to help you in case of problems or if your money is gone.
Conculsion: kickstarter is like gambling,but the odds are worse.

andyl55
10/4/15

I have always been hesitant to just "donate" my hard earned money to help fund a startup project, and Kolstom eyewear helped me to confirm that hesitation. This was my first and last contribution ever to ANY Kickstarter program. After a $200 "investment", the program not only ran out of money, it was also "forced to abandon the project". So after waiting 2 years, I received nothing except an email from the company stating that there was no money left and the project would not be completed. Save your hard earned $$$$ people... Biggest waste of money EVER!!

chriss311
9/30/15

Twice I have funded a successful project, zero times the project has shipped to anyone on the list.

Kickstarter offers no accountability or help, despite the projects each stealing over $10,000 from the contributors. Their help desk just says that it is on us as backers to decide whether or not to commit the money.

I have now personally paid $500, and recieved nothing for it.

mh88
9/19/15

There is no delete button. If not successful, it will be on the internet permanently as a failed fund raising effort, so I recommend keeping your donation amount low. We received a private donor shortly after we put our Kickstarter site and did not pursue or advertise Kickstarter because we no longer needed to raise funds, but we could not delete the Kickstarter page. Now it is a permanent search engine find when Googling our name showing that we only raised $1 for our Kickstarter Fund Raiser effort. That $1 was from a solicitor wanting services. I would not recommend the site.

randallm19
8/27/15

Way back in the first week of April, I made a 'pledge' to a company advertising a way to stop internet ads. Recently (08/27/15) I went back to kickstarter to follow up on my pledge. To my surprise, they had no record of it!!! I have disputed the charge with my CC company, because I WAS CHARGED, and hopefully this will be the end of it. I thought kickstarter would be more consumer friendly than I have found. As far as I'm concerned, this is nothing more than a complete RIPOFF !!! Also, there is apparently no way to contact the company (or person) you pledged to after the funding is completed. Kickstarter says they do not keep those records.

saschah
8/2/15

My pledge was taxed by 20% because the vendor is in France even though I'm in Australia.
While the vendor was kind enough to refund my pledge, it was minus the 8% Kickstarter fee and 20% VAT. After foreign transaction fees and exchange rates I lost $250 of a $600 pledge. Ouch.
Lesson hard learned, just not worth it for bigger backings overseas. Stay under $100 and stay local.

mikeb184
6/5/15

I can not believe what I found out today. If you do not the goal that you set, Kickstarter will send the mone back to people and then tell you oh well to bad you deal is done. And now all that time is gone, and have you ever tryed to get a email or phone number for them, and lets even take this one more stem here. Once your deal is posted, about a week or two b4 your listing is done, You will get an email from someone blowing smoke up you well you get it. And they can help you, and think for a day and they will get back to you, but pay attention they are asking if you spend money they will help you get things done on this,By law they can't ask for money but if you state you are doing this cuz you do not have money well they just got the work you are looking for free help and it will not come from them, because you will not get email from them again, and if you mail thm they still do not get back to you. I know I had this happen 4 times and got $00.00 cus I did not pay....My Job was Hooked On Sport Fishing

herbdink
6/5/15

My horrible experience with Kickstarter​. This is a great and powerful tool, don't get me wrong, but there is a lot more to know about it. They will promote the things that they want. There were things that they constantly put above others. No matter the design, practicality, or use, they will make sure that funding happens for only the things they want to by promoting it in different ways like "staff picks" "New but worthy" and etc. Also they keep piling on their favorites on top of the list, and by default, when you do look at a specific category, the projects are sorted by "MAGIC!" ??? seriously? the magic of, "we think you should fund these and not those"? While I appreciate the website and allowing opportunity, I was less than thrilled by the way things were handled. Good luck to everyone else and your Ideas. But I'll tell you this much, that it is very hard to get your project, great Idea, and unique designs noticed, when they keep putting projects that are 1700% funded on the top page, and your project somewhere on page 175!

hajea
3/6/15

Nice idea. It sadly has been adopted by SCAM merchants. Lack of support from kickstarter means merchants have free hand to do whatever they want. You have no recourse and no support from Kickstarter itself.

Tip for consumers: Avoid like the plague!

justint32
3/2/15

Great idea, poor execution. If a project gets "funded" then later fails before you ever receive your product, theres nothing you can do about it and you are out the money. I funded a project for $240, never got my product, and after the company abandoned it, I was only able to get a 20% refund on it (which that isn't even guaranteed... the company says I will get it in 90 days.)

Tip for consumers: If you back something, make sure you are willing to lose that money for chance for nothing in return.

johna352
2/2/15

Kickstarter is just short of an out and out scam. You put your money in and if the people who raised the money through Kickstarter fail to deliver for whatever reason, even when they actually admit that they never planned to deliver on parts of what was promised during fundraising, Kickstarter just throws their hands up in the air and does nothing. I've had extensive emails back and forth with their customer support over one such project, and they essentially told me that my only option was to contact the project creators for redress, which I did to no avail, and, if they didn't work, sue, which the average person isn't going to do. I'd have more protection if I bought something on eBay through PayPal from a random person. Eventually they just stop responding to emails.

Quite honestly, I don't think this company should be allowed to operate this way. At some point, a company that takes on projects knowing that some portion will turn out to be fraudulent, takes a percentage of the funds raised, and then stonewalls and keeps their cut is participating in the fraud.

Steer clear. If the product is good, it or something like it will find a market and you can buy it from a retail outlet you trust when its ready. Kickstarters often offer what they say is a discount relative to the retail price, but you've got to weigh that against the knowledge that there's a chance people will just keep your money and essentially flip you off, and also that there may be a sale later that is even better than the "price" kick starter is offering things for.

I backed a project from a musician who's work I loved who's been making music since the 60s. He screwed us all over, even wrote an update quoting me personally and flaming me. Now I have trouble listening to some of my favorite songs without thinking of that experience and how unscrupulous the guy is. I also wound up having a falling out with an online community of fans who I knew for a long time and who felt it was an honor just to give this guy money and anything we got back was a bonus. So, the cost can be more than just financial.

Crowd sourcing wasn't a bad idea in theory, but it requires a site that can exercise contractual rights that allow it to garnish the money from the person running an individual project that goes rogue to refund the backers and that is willing to do that. Kickstarter isn't a site that can or will do that, so unless you're willing to sue, anyone can screw you on there and leave you with little recourse.

I wish we had stronger consumer protection laws that would force these companies to take some responsibility or shut the down.

kentm14
12/29/14

I have backed 3 Kick starter projects that have simply evaporated. The one I backed most, buying 3 units, had a prototype on their campaign. All of these had regular updates... At first. Then, complete and total black out of correspondence and updates. Even if the entrepreneurs start in earnest, they flee like scammers. The minimum etiquette would be to admit they did not budget correctly, the tech was not viable... The truth. If that is the truth. I think when I lose $500 to a fledgling company, who enticed me with promises of product, I have earned the expectation of some notice of their failure. Jorno, for example, posts nothing to any site. They had a prototype. What happened? CST had a thin watch where batteries and the band became an issue. That wasn't so clear when they had campaigned for money... It was worse that they contacted me to clarify payment when online fraud kicked in on my card! I guess my credit card knew I was getting greased! Shame on all of them! No matter what the fine print says: we all paid to see product. We all expected regular updates. A minimum expectation would be to notify investors that they would never see goods! Kickstarter is to blame as well. If they get their cut of our investment, they should be obliged to refund their brokerage/commission when it falls through. I actually think Kick starter has the real grift. They get paid as soon as reserves are met... And feign neutrality and claim immunity. Kick starter needs to feel some hurt for these losses too!

Tip for consumers: Buy technology you have seen working from reputable firms and vendors... With warranties and returns.

fm12
12/8/14

I have been a backer for several Kickstarter projects and would like to share a word of caution for those contemplating being a Kickstarter backer. My recommendation is to first read the Kickstarter's "rules" so that you know what you're getting into when you back a project. If something goes wrong and the backer doesn't deliver or doesn't fully deliver what they promise, you are on your own. Kickstarter does not intervene nor will they even attempt to push the developer to comply. From my experience, I would say that the general tone from Kickstarter is to take the developer's side ("things happen", "developer is solely responsible", "be patient and understanding") versus a more balanced, business like position. Yes, you have the option of legal recourse against the developer but good luck with that approach.
Word to the wise - don't count on Kickstarter to stand up for you as a backer.

lorens20
12/1/14

Below is what I posted on my Kickstarter project page. I did not let the project run its course, but instead stopped after the first week into the 37 day project term. A worthy project titled "Reserve" In memory of Kennedy" (The project is continuing without kickstart.)

Project link for kickstart;

Project link for project continuation;
www.lorensalazar.com

___________________________________________________

THIS WILL BE THE FIRST & LAST UPDATE TO THIS PROJECT.

PLEASE DO NOT CONTRIBUTE TO FUND THIS PROJECT, IT HAS BEEN CANCELED BY THE AUTHOR FOR REASONS BELOW.

____________________________________________________

I have been completely disappointed in the reality of Kickstarter compared to the image they give to the public and contributors.

The public is mislead to believe that the hard earned money they support a project with goes to that project.

That's not correct.

When we launched this project, on the anniversary of John F. Kennedy's death, Nov. 22, 2014, we were not contacted by supporters. We were instead contacted over and over by a flock of independent hucksters, salesmen, carnival barkers, fast talking sales personnel. Their messages were all the same;

"Pay us and we will promote you project. Do not pay us, and you will fail."

They agreed in phone conversations that their motives were borderline questionable and stated that the public is best not aware of this matter.

This is a bit of a scam that is defrauding the public trust. I simply do not feel comfortable participating.

Kickstarter needs to come clean to the pubic about the secondary business that have grown up around this mess and that Kickstarter actually does nothing to connect the supporters to the projects. It is done by secondary, unconnected hanger-on's, pitchmen with out whom Kickstarter would fail.

A little misleading.

Sincerely, Loren Salazar WWW.LORENSALAZAR.COM

BELOW IS A PARTIAL LIST OF THE BUSINESS MEN , PITCHMEN, SCAMERS, AND "CARNIVAL BARKERS" WANTING MONEY ;

. Nick at Kickstartmyads (Nick@Kickstartmyads.com)

. Funding Successful (sales@fundingsuccessful.co)

. SMT Agency - Crowdfunding (contact@smt-agency.com)

. Eran Back (back.eran@gmail.com)

. Don White (don.w@pressreleasegorilla.com)

. Crowdfunding Services - The Road to Success (contact@crowdfunding-services.com)

https://www.fiverr.com/thevoiceisback/donate-to-your-crowd-funding- campaign-under-2-names-and-tweet-about-it

. Harry Hillstrong says: Hey Loren , I wanted to connect early on in your Kickstarter campaign. I may be of some assistance in helping you drive more potential backers.

________________________________________________

These are just a sample of the contacts through Kickstart, I have already deleted dozens more.

Over all, I am disappointed with Kickstarter and will have nothing further to do with them. They are misleading the public and those who post projects on Kickstarter.

Kickstartes policy states the they OWN this information, photos, and project and it will remain online even after I have stopped it.

_______________________________________________

NOTE; THIS PROJECT WILL CONTINUE WITH OUT FUNDING, THE PAINTING WILL BE COMPLETED AND POSTED ON FACEBOOK AND ON MY WEB SITE;

Web site; www.lorensalazar.com

Facebook; https://www.facebook.com/loren.salazarpainting

LorenSalazarArtist@facebook.com

_________________________________________________

FOR ANYONE INTERESTED IN OTHER EXPERIENCES WITH KICKSTARTER, HERE IS A WEB SITE WITH ACTUAL USER REVIEWS;

_________________________________________________

Tip for consumers: Don't bother unless you do not mind taking money from contributors that do not know where the funding is really going to and feel good about paying off unaffiliated people to be successful.
This was more misleading then I could consider continuing with.

gilesc4
10/29/14

I guess the site has done good things but my experience was pretty negative. I was setting up a photo studio which was going to use a vintage method of photography. In my presentation I included that the kickstarter would help to rent the space. Seems like a studio would need a space to work out of.

Three days after submitting I got a denial email saying that my project went against their policies due to the funds being used "to acquire real estate".

I emailed back twice explaining that the space was essential to the project and that I'd already paid for it out of pocket but would definitely reimburse myself if the project was successful and sent in an appeal letter which they suggested.

I never heard anything back from them so went with indiegogo and got my project financed with only 4% fees instead of the 12% that KS charges.

$#*!ty service.

lw17
10/27/14

I would NEVER put money in a Kickstarter project again. Scott Crider of Watchdogs scammed everyone who gave him money and Kickstarter's response is "oh, well, you got scammed, not our problem." No accountability. I would have been better off throwing my money in the toilet. Then I would know where it went.

jasonp42
10/23/14

Ridiculous. Go to Indeogogo or somehwere else, but not here. I proposed a project that was unique in re purposing used paper for notepads and stationary, yet was rejected with no reason(s) provided even after numerous emails to their corporate office. Yet, I see other projects that simply don't make sense and have smaller impacts, such as funding a icecream truck being approved; WTF.

tammyf9
10/7/14

It's really hard to get your product noticed when you launch and products that have funded over 100% are still up front. Rotate items from newest to oldest!!

donalds32
9/26/14

See that sewer across the street there??? Ok, take the $200 in your pocket and throw it down the sewer. That way you'll avoid all the hassle of trying to contact Kickstarter or their partner is the scam, Frank Anthony Shorts, and all that wondering if you'll ever see your money again. There, I saved you a lot of time and a lot of trouble.....NO CHARGE.

DO NOT EVER USE KICKSTARTER.....EVER.

Tip for consumers: ok, here's my tip....DO NOT USE KICKSTARTER OR FRANK ANTHONY SHORTS.....EVER!

thea94
8/2/14

Completely unethical business that will not act against even the most dishonest/deceitful project creators. The only things that ever do get pulled are ones that cause a PR $#*!storm - irrespective of whether the project actually violates ToS. Otherwise, they refuse to act even in case of clear ToS violations.

Will not censure project even creators that have repeatedly scammed backers by delivering product not of the promised quality and way late.

Would deserve a -5 star rating.

katrinaj3
7/31/14

This site depends on you being popular or having money to make money. I have 7 failed kickstarters. I have 1 successful one - and I didn't even claim credit for the book I wrote in that one. I gave my husband the credit. If your campaign isn't showing success, the system buries it so it's not easily found. If it's successful it's all on their front page, which is kind of retarded if you're counting on Kickstarter to "promote hope" because it's very hopeless. With my last two campaigns I was flooded with spam from companies what wanted me to give them money to get my campaign funded (which makes no sense, if I had that kind of money I wouldn't have started the campaign) and one person wanted to know if I had hundreds of dollars to buy their stupid domain name. Meanwhile superstars who don't even need the funding get people to fund them by the hundreds of thousands... and I'm out $250 with bounced checks because I fell for the hype. I was stupid. I won't be stupid again. If I could see Kickstarter shut down, I most certainly would.

dg41
6/21/14

I love the concept of crowdfunding and have pledged money on several projects. BUT, I've now been scammed on two Kickstarter projects I've backed losing about $100 in the process. Kickstarter actively promotes projects with "staff picks" which would lead you to believe they've properly vetted the project and creator. Kickstarter is more than happy to collect their fees, which are never refunded, despite no product ever being delivered. If you have a concern all you'll get from Kickstarter is some legalese which states that the dispute is between you and the creator. Interestingly, Kickstarter won't divulge any information regarding any creator so you can't get ahold of them. Stay away from Kickstarter!

kevinn19
5/20/14

The requirement they have on the website to start a project is misleading. I tried to run a software project on their website and they kept asking for more information. I needed money to run the project to attract customers and run an alpha site at a company. I already had a working prototype. If they need excessive amount of information on the project such as a video of the project or how many years of experience someone has doing a particular type of a job then why not put that on the website and make it a requirement? By the way if I need to jump over so many hoops to get the project approved on their website I would rather go to traditional investors and demo my product! It was a total waste of an afternoon!

earlw6
5/3/14

Lost $600 backing a project with a company with a proven history. After delays for over a year, the manager discontinued the project promising refunds that never materialized. Kickstarter was very complacent.

rickw16
4/25/14

Great idea! I personally funded a couple of startups. I think that crowdfunidng could replace tradiotoinal angels. However, since more and more projects appear, it becomes hard to filter out the good fines. Besides, I have no clue how their 'featured" system works. It is obvious that featured projects always get funded, but who is there to judge which one is to get all the attention? I really think the guys should make their project curration more starightforward and open.

nikitap
4/20/14

I backed a project that seemed completely legitimate as the creator is big in the media (Scott Crider btw as I am trying to get his attention then maybe he will care). He had it posted on his twitter, facebook, facebook pages, websites etc. I backed him with 125 dollars because the reward for that was to have my dog remembered in the book with half a page photo and writing. I backed this project a year ago. It was supposed to sent by Christmas. It was delayed, but he hasn't said anything since February. I'm not the only one trying to communicate with him so I reached out to Kickstart. He is even ignoring them but Kickstart doesn't care. They keep saying delays happen. Yes they do, but we should be told about it and the creator shouldn't have seemed to drop off the planet (not to mention a few months after the funding ending he bought a new car)! I will NEVER back anything again, let alone use Kickstart. They don't care, they don't help. They deliver to scammer needs. A few of us will be taking legal action as there is no reason for us to believe this project is legitimate or that any book will be delivered. I am not going to let someone just take 125 from me. That's a lot of money and I saved up to back the project and I will not stop until I either get the book or my money back.

ericam12
2/24/14

fun site, I have good times betting on random projects however I must admit that a lot of them are BS.

hawkc1
2/7/14

Kickstarter pretend it had enhanced his code of conducts and policy but in fact it s just a smoke screen as nothing is done to prevent scams

corneliusa9
1/5/14

I've had my account permanently banned on a whim by a mean Kickstarter employee. Despite being a regular and active customer on Kickstarter, you can have your rights revoked in a moments notice with no way to get them back beyond pleading with whomever is working the customer service email. You can find that you lose access to all the content you backed because once an account is blocked, you cannot contact anyone through KS, or ask for a refund on their comments section. The KS staff are a close knit group of miserable trolls who enjoy rewarding loyalty with a banned account. Before you give these people money, be warned. They have even banned people for being the victims of harassment and stalking. They are a terrible, wretched group of unprofessional children in control of a multimillion dollar website.

em3570
1/4/14

Kickstarter is a good fundraising platform. However it offers no protection and no guarantees that projects will be finished and delivered. This created a good opportunity for Kickstarter scams, when people raise money for projects that were never planned to be completed, or projects that lie about the quality and basically resell low quality Chinese stuff 40 times the bulk price.
Thus if you really want to get what you back for, you need to be sure in the project you back in and in the person/people behind this project. But if you know the people already why share with amazon/kickstarter 10% of all pledges? Why not have all the money go directly to project creators, who need them.

calvinr8
1/1/14

Personally I have backed 26 projects as of this review. About 90% of the projects that were backed have been fulfilled in the time frame that the project promised. I have not had a bad experience yet. A couple projects that I have backed were pulled, but I have not paid into a project that has stole my money. I am personally on this website daily and love all of the new projects. It so exciting to see what people come up with, and even more exciting when you a able to open up a personal reward that you made happen. This is a truly rewarding website.

beckyt6
12/18/13

It's great when the project I help fund actually happens. I've help fund 24 projects. All of the projects I've helped fund have taken my money. Only one of those projects actually moved forward and delivered the reward. Like everything else, buyer beware.

jenniferh35
11/8/13

Why do sites exist? As a purely charitable act of kindness, sprung from the spirit of love and giving that's solely for you and your needs or- for a profitable gain? Before doing business with any site/person/company, 1st ask yourself- What do they gain? In the case of kickstarter.com, the gain is your idea, your invention.

jamesb121
11/7/13

A good idea that works for the most part - I've never had a bad experience, but there does seem to be a lack of protection for when projects do go south.

nathans27
11/6/13

There are very many great projects that I would never have been able to learn of and help support if not for the site, or "crowd funding" type sites. Kickstarter, though, has some very awful people working in customer service. I'm one of the more active members, having backed well over 100+ projects yet am treated very poorly by the staff. I have faced regular harassment and had outright lies told about me in order to justify suspending my account (suspending means that, despite the fact you backed projects, you are not allowed to communicate with the projects owners or post on the comments section of backed projects). I've witnessed them allow projects that outright break their TOS , but when this is pointed out not only do they ignore you and everyone (and there were many) else, they suspend those that complain. They act like small time dictators now that KS is a practical monopoly (Indiegogo being so far behind and servicing a different form of crowdfunding). Overall, if there was any other choice, I would use it and not feed the egos of these terrible individuals, but no such option exists.

henrya13
10/27/13

Great site, lots of potential, lots of risks but if you wait it out and you pledge smartly, you won't regret it

8 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Kickstarter staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
6 days ago
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
12/7/15
Answer
jimmyb34
A: Avoid them like the plague. In theory, kickstarter and indiegogo seem like a great idea but if you think about what is actually transpiring, you're better off creating your own website for your particular project.
12/7/15