US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

solb1

They have a nice selection of TV shows to watch, and to a lesser extent movies. (in 18 reviews)

angelaw

it has just about every popular tv show out there and is great for when you miss your show or forgot to tivo it. (in 20 reviews)

petej

There are some ads before shows, but they're not bad. (in 15 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

shannonw17
3/31/15

It is a waste of time and money, what they present is great, but never expect to see it. You will end up seeing a frozen screen, more than the show, and still paying for it.

ihateh
3/26/15

I was on Hulu a second ago and was watching a really good show where a girl was about to die, and a fking stupid ad about daipers poped up and ruins everything!! Not just this time, but 500 TIMES!! It feels like I'm watching really boring uninteresting ads over and over and over more than I'm watching my show!! I can't take it anymoree!!! Hulu has more interesting shows and varieties than Netflix does, but what's the point if the varieties are messed up by horrible ads?!! I'm changing to netflix once I'm done watching this last episode, and hopefully NO ADS RUIN IT!!

Tip for consumers: Do you like watching cheesy, stupid ads 50 times till your brain pop? Then subscribe to Hulu! They have special features that'll piss you off so much that you will be forced to leave a review like mine about their ADS!

mollyg3
3/7/15

I absolutely do NOT recommend wasting your time or money on Hulu! This website and their streaming features suck! Videos either won't play, rewind while you're in the middle of a show, the show will freeze on a frame but the show will continue or it will just stop and say loading! I have high speed internet and have no other issues with different sites I go on to watch other things! Not only that but you pay money and you still get a ridiculous amount of ads you have to watch! Don't ever pay money for this cheap website!

bradb41
3/7/15

Hulu is a joke. It has commercials, yes you can watch "some" of your shows but if you missed half the season its not available for play back. It stops randomly half way through an episode and starts replaying from the beginning. Hulu is just really really $#*!ing horrible. There business idea is spend no $ for rights to play full seasons like Netflix does. But add commercials which pays hulu. Then hulu charges us the consumer the same price as netfix. Hulu you are a joke. Do the world a favor and shut down

danm97
3/1/15

It happens and it's dropping the ball. Many shows that used to be free are now premium member only. We had a Hulu Plus membership for a while but figured it's not worth the cost if you still have to sit through advertisements during your shows. Another thing that is making Hulu less-attractive is the fact that you have to wait a week or more after the original air date to see some of the more popular shows.

brinnj
2/18/15

When it comes to following our favorite TV shows, we want what we want on demand, when we want it. Hulu gets used as much if not more than our DVR. For under $10/month, we have access to a huge selection including interesting content from overseas. The library satisfies needs for every family member regardless of age or taste. They have even added their own original shows. Hulu continues to keep their user interface very fresh and intuitive. Over the years, we have rarely experienced down time from the site. There are commercials, however spot breaks are under 90seconds. Content doesn't stay around forever. Some shows do expire. However, you can add your faves to your cue & receive updates about the status. Hulu isn't the only service we use, but with the MASSIVE amount of free content, it's a great bang for under $10/month! (*they do offer a selection of movies, but it is so poor, we rarely watch them)

alanad3
2/14/15

Very close to canceling. Show stops to load constantly, plus repetitive and super annoying commercials (ex - daily burn) commercials, and even stops completely mid-show and starts another show entirely. One extra star for the fact that I can watch a show after it airs and can watch a cable show. Can't wait to switch to their competition!

sethd14
2/14/15

Having been a member of Netflix for a couple of years now and being happy with that service, I thought I would give Hulu a try. I had been very happy with Hulu up until yesterday. During one of the commercial breaks while watching a half hour comedy, I was shown a very lewd trailer for an R-rated movie. I do not recall the movie name. I thought it was some kind of sick joke. The movie trailer featured male and female nudity (breasts and butt), along with such expletives as "$#*!" and "$#*!" repeated several times throughout the trailer. I was absolutely mortified! Thankfully no children were present. Extremely distasteful! This ad was completely out of place and over the line.

Tip for consumers: Apparently Hulu has very low standards for the types of advertising it allows to its consumers. If you would be remotely offended by the type of ad described above, I recommend highly that you do not subscribe for Hulu plus service.

vincej6
2/11/15

if I wanted to watch commercials and pay for them I would order cable TV or satellite TV I pay for my subscriptions to Netflix Hulu Amazon so that I don't have to watch ads, I cancel my subscription with anybody who shows ads during my shows I do the Internet TV so that I don't have to watch ads remove the ads and I renew my subscription I'm not paying for commercials Hulu sucks

lauriep11
1/26/15

Hulu is the worst! Shows just stop for no reason. You have to watch as many ads as you would on TV, but worse than TV because the same ad is repeated over and over, every few minutes. To get away from the ads, I subscribed to Hulu Plus. Huge mistake! Still a horrible ad to content ratio and random stops. And, because I've lost my password, I can't un-subscribe (or use the site) in spite of spending hours trying to navigate their impenetrable system, which inexplicably won't send me a password reset or let me email the company. Because I made (another) mistake of auto pay on my credit card, I'll have to cancel this card to get away from them. Bad, bad, bad.

marileneb
1/24/15

Hulu is pretty good. They would be better if they could cut down on the commercialism. Especially for a paying customer. I like the ability to watch a program I have missed 24 hours later. That is a brilliant idea. However, the downside are the commercials.

amandar37
1/23/15

I really like Hulu. I would rather pay for this then hos much cable cost. People have become very selfish about a couple commercials.

rachelc33
1/10/15

Why am I PAYING to watch ads, frequently wait for loading, and not be able to share. I understand the not wanting to give out the password to 30 friends and have so many people abusing the system. But literally two of us in the same household cannot us hulu at the same time.
So, what? we have to have 4 different hulu subscriptions for the household. I feel extremely taken advantage of. It is ludicrous.

Tip for consumers: Just don't.

hollyj13
1/6/15

Hulu is alright. The constand commercial breaks do get old. If I pause it and go back to my show, only SOMETIMES it will resume at my exact spot I left at. And there are plenty of times where the screen just pauses so that it can buffer. Get your $#*! together Hulu - never experienced these issues with Netflix.

kaylah11
1/5/15

Literally the worst movie site I have EVER experienced. First off, there are WAY TOO MANY commercials. The commercials last from anywhere between 3-5 minutes (might as well watch actual TV). Second, half the shows fail at streaming and consistently pause or disconnect in the middle. Third, buying HuluPlus is the biggest scam. It has no benefits over the free version other than access to a FEW more shows. For the same price you pay for Netflix or Amazon, HuluPlus still streams commercials and has access to barely anything. Additionally, there's no point in buying it if you plan to stream from a smart device because the technology doesn't even work on them. Stay away from this site. You are better off using Netflix, Amazon, or any other website.

Tip for consumers: DON'T USE IT! Use Netflix or Amazon instead.

bobs144
1/4/15

Frequently freezes and has to be reloaded. Way too many commercials. Not worth the money...go with Netflix.

angelat17
12/22/14

I really enjoy Hulu but there are extremely too many commercials. It really takes away from the enjoyment. Netflix has definitely got them beat.

gamingg
12/21/14

Hulu is... meh. People have already said everything that is wrong with it and I don't mind the commercials but, when your paying for premium you shouldn't have to watch ads. Hulu is greedy gets paid for every premium customer and for the ads that u have to watch... (the premium user)

Tip for consumers: I'd say get Netflix. They aren't greedy and haven't had a problem. They also have amazing Netflix orginal shows.

sarahg52
12/16/14

I've had Hulu a few months now and at the beginning i loved it. But then thing after thing started annoying me, and i don't mean the commercials i don't mind those. First why would you put a show on their that you cannot watch? They shouldn't have things that just send you to a site that wont let you watch. Also why have so many different movie trailers and like no Movies, and i'm talking about older ones not ones that just came out this year, if we just wanted to watch the trailer theirs always Youtube. And then last the reason i decided to write this review today was me and my son have been watching the voice, He's a year and a half so obviously we don't on my laptop we do on my ps3. Well today's episode will not show up and the ps3 it says it can every time i look online and their is no helpful info to show me how to watch it and if they just decided to not let you watch one on the ps3 its BS.

ralphr15
11/29/14

Hulu charges for the illusion of MUST pay for TV. You pay Hulu for NOTHING but the links to other websites. If other websites charge you, you still have to pay the same price. If the other websites are free, than you PAID hulu for something that is FREE. Paying hulu does not get you any free tv shows EVER. You simply pay for the illusion of getting the free tv for the paid hulu prices. PLEASE go read what hulu states what you get for the paid subscription. They NEVER EVER list out what you get. IMPRESSIVE - Right?

Tip for consumers: NEVER buy hulu TV service.

rinas1
11/23/14

hulu is ok .. nothing great .. if you don't have hulu don't worry you're not missing out on anything. Their customer service on the other hand is terrible.

clarissab2
10/17/14

The website freezes, the commercials are tedious and are the same every time. It restarts the episode in the middle of playing for no reason which is terrible. The only good thing about it is the fact that it updates its shows regularly, other than that it is definitely not worth 8 dollars a month. The glitches are just too much for it to be worth it.

jeffw42
10/10/14

Why are people giving this site 5 stars?? You are paying to watch nearly 10 minutes of commercials. And it's getting worst... Descent selection of shows, but most of the shows are intertwined with other streaming websites. So save your money

Tip for consumers: Pick amazon prime

joeys29
10/8/14

Selection and General Experience:
*Movie choices are abysmal. Their movies are either really old or low budget things you’ve never heard of. There are some decent documentaries, but no better than what you could get from Netflix.
*Though Hulu Plus requires a monthly fee, you still have to sit through commercials. Frequently, especially if you’re watching multiple episodes of the same show, you’ll have to watch the same commercial repeatedly. It’s maddening.
*They list some shows as if they have them to draw people in, but then it turns out they really don't. Sometimes you go to the page for the show and it states straight out they don't actually have it, though I guess they leave it there so it will show up in search results as if they do. Other times, they're just carrying a link to the network site.
*Then there's all of the stuff that they can only provide if you have a TV provider to connect. So, you have to be paying a TV provider, paying for Hulu Plus, and still watch the repetitive commercials. If I had a TV provider, wouldn't I just be watching it on TV that way?

Hulu TV app:
*There’s regular stuttering. I’m afraid to pause, rewind, or fast-forward because, if it’s not already doing it, this seems to trigger it. Sometimes it's so bad that, not only is it unwatchable, but I have to turn the TV off to get it to stop because it won't respond to normal attempts to stop the video. It can't be blamed on issues with the internet connection since 1 episode can play perfectly smooth and the very next one is stuttering to the point of being virtually unwatchable right from the beginning, not to mention that the Netflix app isn’t having this problem.
*Sometimes it freezes in the middle of the episode altogether. When I restart it, it reverts back either to the beginning of the last chapter or even loses the place completely and starts again from the beginning. If usually forces me to sit through the previous commercials all over again.
*There’s often an excessive loading time before resuming the episode after commercials but, funnily enough, commercials never seem to have a problem.

Queue:
*Online and TV app queues are not fully synced. Shows in my queue online often don’t show up in my queue on the app even for shows that are available there if I search for them.
*Often, new episodes of shows that I have a subscription for aren’t showing up in my queue and I have to find them and put them there manually. At other times, it puts episodes I’ve already watched and removed from my queue back in again, sometimes days later.
*The order of the queue and subscriptions in the TV app makes no sense. It's not alphabetical, it's not the order they were originally put on, it's not the order I have them in my queue online; it's just a mess.

Customer support:
*Hulu’s system couldn't validate my credit card during the sign up for the 2-week trial. Hulu’s website will only provide a phone number to their Hulu Plus subscribers which, obviously, you can’t become if you can’t sign up. So, I had no other alternative than to send a message to support.
*Long response times: Days passed with no response. I sent a second message and it still took days to get a response.
*Canned responses: Eventually, both messages were responded to with the exact same canned response, saying that my card must have restrictions placed on it that prevented online recurring payments.
*Either don’t fully read messages or ignore information contained in them: They continued to insist the problem was due to card restrictions even after I told them the card had no problems being used with anything else, including online recurring payments for Netflix.
*No resolution: Ultimately, there was no resolution from Hulu support and I had to find my own workaround (used PayPal with the same card). I enjoyed responding to their survey about how my customer service experience had been.

All and all, while Netflix & Hulu Plus don’t offer quite the same thing, it’s sad that Hulu Plus charges roughly the same as Netflix while providing a far more shoddy and inferior service.

brittanym16
9/28/14

It would be nice if they didn't skip seasons of shows.. Like greys anatomy, they deleted season 10 and goes straight to season 11.. And I wouldn't mind the commercials if they weren't repetitive..

fishem-b
9/21/14

Hulu is cool, like just cool. They have shows but not every episode. Then when they do have the episode for example " dragon ball " doesn't have English version of shows. However they do have a wide variety of shows.

mistyg2
9/19/14

Hulu is by far the worst. I cant even watch a episode of anything without it pausing from anywhere to 10-20 minutes. I have to restart it to finish watching anything I try to watch. My husband and I have been trying to watch the same episode for over an hour. And it doesn't help that thier are advertisements. I dont wanna pay to see advertisements. There is no way im going to continue to pay for hulu when netflix is 100 times better.

andreac42
9/8/14

Paying money to watch commercials just sounds like a bad idea! Its crazy that you have to watch 3 or 4 commercials per break and then they play them over and over!

lunar1
9/7/14

No one wants to pay and still have to watch commercial after commercial. I click the not interested button but I always end up with the same commercials anyways. Netflix is WAY better, you get what you pay for.

Tip for consumers: Don't

dominiqueh10
9/2/14

I started using Hulu to watch my favorite shows a few years ago. I have really enjoyed being able to keep up with my shows until lately when Hulu decided to only let you watch shows if you connect to your tv provider? I don't think that's ok. I don't have tv...ergo the internet. I vote hulu gets rid of this permanently. Seriously, ruined one of my down time activities. I can't watch my favorite shows anymore. Thanks, hulu.

mattm59
8/10/14

Don't waste your freaken time with this stupid thing called Hulu. Who the Hell wants to pay to see the same three damn commercials three to four times per episode you watch. I have never took the time to right a review but In this case I can't stress enough to any readers to not waste your time with this $#*!. Not worth it!!!

robynj1
8/10/14

I've had Hulu for about 6 weeks. I like the selections that they have but absolutely HATE all of the commercials. I don't see or like paying for this service and then have to watch stupid commercials at every interval. They have it rigged so that you can't even fast forward through them. They run the same commercials over and over again. I'm considering canceling my subscription. I'd rather buy a smart TV and stream from the select website I'm interested in viewing.

amandar29
8/1/14

I have Hulu plus on my phone and on my TV. Hulu on my phone is ok, I'm not a fan of the commercials. As for hulu on my TV, it's awful!!! We also have Netflix, it constantly freezes and get blurry on hulu. Netflix we have zero problems with anything downloading, even during a storm. On Hulu, at the moment with no clouds and full wifi it STILL freezes during my show. HUGE negative!! I would not recommend hulu to anyone, paying for a season on DVD is cheaper that paying for a years worth of Hulu. Due to the fact it will take you a month to watch one episode.

lisam109
7/29/14

I just started an account on hulu and do like some of the choices.. was very unhappy to have the adam and eve commercial come on in the middle of watching a show with my kids. I dont think this is really appropriate advertising in the category we were watching. I think that it should be in the adult category or gay and lesbian or something that is more sexual in nature.. That alone is almost enough to make me cancel before I have even been on for a month. Then after that is was for call in dating services not really happy with that..

jeffreyb34
7/25/14

I don't really want to spend my time and money on watching commercials. If I did, however, I would pay monthly for Hulu.

The only reason Hulu can double charge (via advertising revenue and monthly recurring revenue) its users is because Hulu has effectively monopolized internet streaming for a large amount of popular shows.

Hulu has demonstrated in every possible way (through product bugs, horrible customer service, and shameless price gauging) that it doesn't care about its users whatsoever. I believe this company should be avoided.

juliek17
7/14/14

Well, it started out good but now for the past 4 months almost EVERY thing I watch stops constantly to load . It s' so irritating and i have to turn it off. I would keep it if the loading problem was corrected.

jesseh30
7/7/14

Terrible service, I am trying it for the 2nd time in 2 years. I signed up for 1 day 2 years ago on a week trial and noticed it sucked. I tried it again this week because my wife got into a tv shown but the programming freezes, it skips, and yes it does play the same commercials over and over again. Don't sign up it sucks. This makes me want to break my tv because I am so Flippin angry at hulu! Don't try it, it's a waste of time.

darrinn
7/6/14

I tried the month free decided less than a week into that month I didn't want it. Cancelled it this was three months ago and I just noticed they are charging $7.** a month for never watcbing their stuff what gives I know it's not a lot of money but I don't owe them $#*! I am being ripped off I want this to stop at least and my money back as well if this bappens again next month I will take legal action

ethanm29
6/20/14

The idea is great, but the ads, OMG I HATE THE ADS! The ads just create more annoyances, when the days over you just want to sit back and relax, but they want to make you watch repeating ads time and time again

jamaw
5/29/14

Hulu enables me to knock out my favorite shows or series in a matter of days. I hate getting into a series a couple seasons in, so before I start to watch them on TV I use hulu to catch up to the current show so I'm not lost.

aaronk32
5/6/14

Great site, almost every TV show from the network channels is available. The only disappointment is that when you pay the monthly fee you still have to watch a TON of commercials.

amyw45
4/22/14

I just hate the commercials when you are paying for the service. Besides that it would be five stars.

caitieh
3/10/14

I agree with other reviews that hulu plus is great in theory but ads are aweful. We watch it on the Wii and every time the ads start they don't play. You have to click the "a" button without it pointing at the screen for it to play and then you have to do it for all 4 commercials every time! I had also hoped for more networks to be on it. I wish you could find out what shows are on hulu before purchasing it.

kristink9
1/19/14

The only reason I still use Hulu is because there are no good alternatives. Hulu is the $#*!tiest website/app. It has consistent bugs that are never fixed. Even worse, it plays the same commercials over and over. And over. Until you'd rather poke your own eyes out with a spoon than watch the same commercial for the 50th time in a row. Even worse than the fact that they have a total of 5 commercials they play at any given time is the absolutely idiotic commercials they choose to feature. I despise Hulu.

danar16
1/17/14

Hulu Plus is great in theory. You pay a monthly fee and you get to watch past and current TV episodes. The only problem is the ads. I understand having ads to pay for free content but the fact I am already paying for access just pisses me off. I would gladly pay a higher monthly fee to not have to see ads. I greatly dislike the fact that if I sit through 2 or 3 ads then I pause the show for 30 seconds and when I resume, I have to watch more ads. I will stick with netflix and my xfinity apps. They may not be as up to date with current seasons but I much prefer not having to sit through the same 5 commercials up to 5 times in one television episode.

jennye3
12/4/13

This site rocked when it was 100% free until they added hulu plus which made hardly anything free...now it is OK as they have some shows free but it was much better when everything was completely free though.

justinw18
8/4/13

I like the concept of watching tv shows online, but its pretty sad that there are more commercials on hulu than what is actually on TV. DVR at least allows you to fast forward through commercials.

stephanien3
7/16/13

I love Hulu. Great shows. Low monthly price. Although, sadly, I have noticed that some of my favorite shows are being taken off hulu and on to their own network apps, i.e. Downtown Abby. Only downside is that you can't use it internationally.

nancys26
7/15/13

I love hulu.com! Even though it doesn't show every episode of certain show, you can pay to get everything, or get tons of cool stuff for free!

stephenh45
7/2/13

the service and all of the other features are top notch but if I wanted to have a bottom level experience I would have asked Moses to turn my staff into a serpent. f*** that s***. Content is all this has ti keep it above a 1.

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Hulu staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: How do you stream it to your TV what equipment do you need to do it and what kind of cable package do you need to use it??? Cannot find any answers for the electronically challenged anywhere.
6/29/13
edwardf4
A: Is There a Site to Make a Playlist,That Works ??
12/3/11
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the Hulu staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?