US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

angelaw

it has just about every popular tv show out there and is great for when you miss your show or forgot to tivo it. (in 29 reviews)

petej

There are some ads before shows, but they're not bad. (in 40 reviews)

solb1

They have a nice selection of TV shows to watch, and to a lesser extent movies. (in 31 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

rosannel2
5/2/16

I have canceled cable and am now using Hulu for majority of my TV viewing. I do wish, however, that it would make a deal for more stations, such as BBC, AMC, etc.

bobj102
4/30/16

I use the service, but the amount of political ads are to much. They only portray a single opinion and seem overly targeted. This could be because only one group is purchasing ads for political use but they appear more often then any other any other ad and I have yet to see a way to disable these ads. I'm planing to continue using the service but if I find out that these ads were not purchased or are being over represented by Hulu in an attempt to manipulate political views then I will be dropping the service and will endeavor to convince my friends to do the same.

rebeccae26
4/22/16

I have been watching programs on Hulu plus for 2 months now. The program selections are amazing, I can not believe I am able to watch so many popular shows without the annoying commercials. The series episodes come on one after the other barely skipping a beat..it's such an enjoyable experience. Thank you Hulu for all of the exciting programs..

robertc237
4/21/16

Lets get right into it, i dont mind adds at all. What i mind is them only having the last 5 episodes of the most popular series on the app. I get it, partnerships and content owners and all that but REALLY? I pay good money every month for hulu plus and i only get the 5 latest episodes of my favorite shows. Thats not good buisiness. Thats a scam. Im switching over to netflix ASAP. If youre thinking of watching Gotham, or the new flash just buy them. You cant watch the first seasons or even the begining to the second. And shows like archer are waaay behind. Dont wasye your money.

jimmym63
4/16/16

You get what you pay for! If you`re looking through the movies,tv,etcYou find one and decide not to watch it,you click back and are directed to the first one! You have to navigate ahead and find were you left off......inconvenient-frustrating.All of the commercials,so repetitive.If HuLu raises their price,I will cancel,out.Netflix is so much better

franciscof18
4/10/16

I had no issues canceling my service and they even provided a refund. Great ethics for a company. Are a company that I would do business with again in the future

shemg
4/4/16

I have Hulu and every time I am watching a show it stops or goes mute. I heard a few good things about Hulu and it seems they were all lies because I am very unsatisfied with the streaming ability or the way it goes mute, freezes, stops. I can never watch anything on it and I would like a refund honestly

elizabetha64
4/3/16

I was scrolling through a way to get good shows and I find Hulu which said they have your first month free and then later on you will have to pay its regular fee. So I was like okay let's do this. I filled out all the information and then start watching some shows. Later, I get an email from Pay-Pal, the way I said WOULD pay later on, and it said "You have just paid $7.99 to Hulu." and I was like woah... hold up. So, I figured out that they even though it said the first month was free, they still took my money.:(

garya34
4/3/16

I did like Hulu until they took off a tv show before i could see how the last season ended.If they are going to take off a tv show they should give people a notice so you could make some time to watch them all in a week or two! Some one is not very bright at Hulu!!!

robw53
3/30/16

I signed up for HULU because their website shows you can stream all of their content now seamlessly onto PS#, and they now have the first 2 episodes of the Americans, Season 4. I subscribe and all they have is clips of the show on PS#. I read online that you must use your computer for a lot of Network shows (i.e. It is not at all seamless.) I take my PC down and set it up to the TV to watch it, log on, and it says that in order to watch The Americans I have to authenticate with the Network I am a paid subscriber. (I am thinking paid subscriber to HULU.) I go to authenticate and it is asking me what cable provider I have. If HULU's website said they were offering seamless integration on SOME of their shows onto PS3 AND they have the first two episodes of The Americans, ONLY on computer, and ONLY if you already have a cable subscription where you could already have watched it I would not have subscribed. Of course, they directly lie and say sign up today to watch the new episodes seamlessly on the PS#. BLATANT false advertising. A large amount of the shows I wanted to watch, that were supposed to be available, all I can see is a summary of the show and watch a few clips. What a RIPOFF!!! Also not a very good way to get repeat business. I have had PRIME and NETFLIX, and neither advertise shows that need a separate subscription, like needing Showtime to watch HOMELAND on PRIME. It is very obvious before you subscribe that is an extra paid service that does not come with the subscription. It is totally JERK move on HULU's part.

NOTE: I just noticed, and posted below, that there is a little bitty square at the top of the episodes it says are available for streaming that, if you hover over the square, a pop-up comes up saying the show really isn't available unless you have a paid subscription to another service. That might be some technically way they can trick consumers and not get sued, but it is still DESPICABLE. Why would I hover over little squares on an advertisement for these shows being available on HULU. It is an advertisement. I took it at face value-there is no fine print. I did not know I had to dig for Easter Eggs to learn the whole page is a PURPOSELY deceptive trick to get people to subscribe.

michaelj152
3/11/16

Still has some free shows too

jenn3745
3/10/16

I got the 7.99 subscription, and most of the commercials skip and stall for minutes. Are they trying to get me to buy the higher end subscription? The episodes don't skip at all, and my internet connection is super strong. Netflix never gives me any issues.

alans91
3/9/16

The only reason they get 3 stars is because 11.22.63 is a pretty darn good show. Given this is only my first week but it's already extremely aggravating. The commercials aren't the end of the world. But if I have to rewind I'm forced to watch them over again. The system should know better. If I pause it and come back, all the sudden the episode forwards to the end. So now I have to watch the beginning commercials all over and fast forward but then I have to watch the mid show ones as well. And for some reason if the PlayStation controller is within 3 feet it will just start rewinding out of nowhere. I know I know something is wrong with my system. Ok. Netflix doesn't do this. I've had that for years. But it must be my connection, right? Please. Hulu has been around way too long to deliver such a poor interface. In this day and age the aggravation alone won't be worth keeping this for too long. Too many other sources for content to deal with this regularly.

pennyw6
3/7/16

Use Hulu with my Roku .Lots of movies and tv shows.Cheaper than cable

susanr67
2/23/16

Hulu is not horrible but free offerings are slim pickings. Crackle has original programming and more. Go Crackle!

theoap
2/21/16

Who ever came up with the concept of 5 episodes at a time should be fired. I hope your stock prices dropped (If you have any). In a competitive market of binge watchers and this is what you come up with for a very busy American society who can't wait and watch every episode because we work!!!! Especially with an appetite for the availability to have what we want to watch at our command. You are out of touch with the needs of your customers.....

rechellet
2/17/16

Every show we watch freezes.....Its very Annoying. I may not renew my account

teluf
2/15/16

This is getting RIDICULOUS! I have done everything that online sources have told me to do to end the chopping on hulu and NOTHING is working. I am frustrated because I am PAYING to watch my t.v. shows and I am missing half of the episode with all the chopped up scenes added up. I am seriously considering canceling my membership and just going back to hulu where I don't have to pay anything. I just have to wait till it comes onto the free side of this website because if it is choppy there, at least it was FREE. I've been putting up with this for a while, but ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

danis29
2/15/16

Honestly, people are a little crazy to complain about Hulu's service, especially if they've delt with cable companies!!!

If you want something more like regular TV, with the newest episodes coming out each week I would definitely recommend Hulu Plus. You can get two weeks free if you sign up here: http://hulu.com/r/ocjVSA

That's what I did and if you don't like it you can cancel before the two weeks are up and wont owe anything, but its really cheap anyways at only $7.99 a month.

Netflix it great for older seasons of shows and all kinds of interesting movies. It's great cause you can just sit for hours on a lazy day and watch a whole season if you want to. You can sign up here for a month free, $7.99 a month, and cancel at any time as well: https://signup.netflix.com/

I personally have both and love them a lot. I don't have cable, which is four times more expensive than both of these. Plus nothing is ever on TV, but with Hulu and Netflix you can always find something.

If your getting rid of cable, I would get both, or at least start with Hulu because it's the most similar to regular TV.

I would not at all recommend paying like $13 a month for HBO! Unless watching just game of Thrones is worth it to you. I just log into my friends HBO and get Amazon free though, I dont use it. Get Amazon if you already are getting prime.

Hope it works out!

Tip for consumers: Sign up for two weeks free: http://hulu.com/r/ocjVSA
Cancel if you don't like it, if you do it's only 7.99$ / Mo — barely a Starbucks drink.

cheekeem
2/15/16

I tried it and without notice they just shut it off not giving you notice of your billing date.
absolute ghetto

alexisb41
2/14/16

$#*! Hulu. Seriously. Paying 11.99 for half seasons and laggy shows. Don't waste your money on this garbage it is well worth it to buy Netflix and wait for the seasons to come out. Hulu is trash and will just aggravate and piss you off.

jerryw55
2/13/16

hulu is bad service and they want you to pay more to get rid of them netflex is awesome and great service I wouldn't have hulu ever for these reasons of commercials in there shows I wouldn't pay them more or subscribe to them at all...

janetc15
2/9/16

I am on the computer a lot and watch South Park on the side. The Hulu web player is complete trash. Today, I have seen the Kung Fu Panda (Wix.com) advertisement so many times that I wanted to punch my computer screen. It plays that same commercial clipped in the beginning, then 5 seconds later, plays the whole 30 second commercial.

The web player bugs out and the navigation/slider/skip disappears. The only way to fix that is to refresh the page, and if you do that, the player forces you to start from the beginning and watch the same commercials again even if you JUST saw them!

The player uses Flash which is beyond frustrating. It heats up the Macbook Pro Retina like crazy. And on full screen, it freezes up the browser. On top of that, the navigation on the pages are poor. It's so difficult to to browse episodes.. they're in that slide menu, so tiny, it's impossible to pick episodes comfortably.

The player on the web and on the iPad refuses to play the next episode for any show, and sometimes if I hit "next episode", it plays an episode of a totally different show. Sometimes, it won't remember where I last left off in an episode and would replay the whole thing which requires me to re-watch ads and then skip credits, etc.

Also, I haven't found an option that leads you automatically skip opening and ending credits. It makes absolutely no sense for an ad to play, then opening credits, then another ad and finally the show. At the end of the show, another ad plays then the ending credits. Really?!

Honestly, with frustrations like the ones mentioned above, and the fact that sometimes the player refuses to load (which then you have to close and restart the player, watch the same ads again), you wonder why people pirate all these shows to watch. Because no one wants to PAY and deal with stuff like this!

lm70
2/6/16

Hulu is OK, and I'm saying this because my account is free, and sometimes I get to see really excellent things. I got a chance to see the first episode of WayWard Pines before it aired. Yes my account was free at that time. The Hulu site is so much easier to navigate than Netflix. On Hulu if you are having trouble locating movies, type in for example Lionsgate and up will pop all the movies associated with it. These are the movies you will not find on the surface of Hulu but still available through it.

scottb131
1/26/16

Hulu and Netflix, maybe GOHBO, stream over the internet, dump the cable company. Cable companies are horrible, and why watch programming on their schedule anyway? On-demand programming is the future. Scheduled programming is so over.

savannah55
1/26/16

Hulu was intriguing to my family because we love TV without having all of the ridiculous channels at the ridiculous price, so instead we went on demand with Hulu which is SUPER frustrating at times because it only has half seasons, it is UNGODLEY slow at getting the new episodes of previous seasons they air and if they do show them it could be online only so if you have a tablet you're royally screwed. The commercials have gotten increasingly annoying since they now give you the option to go commercial free and if you choose to stick with the commercials...trust that in a few days they will push you into the extra cash. Hulu just get your $#*! together.

arthurb58
1/24/16

I enjoy Hulu and use it more frequently than any other video website, however I would like to see them update their content a little more often and quicker. I've watched the entire second season of Homicide Hunter (A show I've gotten addicted to) but they do not have season one or any other season available to watch. And I know so far, that show has about 5 seasons.

christiel3
1/21/16

on 12/9/15 i signed for the free trial but cancelled the service. They billed my credit card on 12/18/15 and on 1/18/16 even though it was cancelled. I emailed them for a refund stating that I obviously cancelled and havent used their service. I also asked them to look at the history to confirm that i am not using their service. They were only able to refund 1 of the two month they charged me. Whats the point of trial when you guys charge even after i cancel

davidt161
1/17/16

I just tried to watch Mr. Robot on Hulu , for which I have an account.
However, after literally 15 minutes of having to fill out "surveys' ranging from Kohls to Cars to other mindless products, each of which asked for more and more personal information and never ended, I finally realized that Hulu had become what South Park in it's latest Politically Correct Whole Foods Fiasco season warned us about, which was mainly.. ADS become self aware and taking over the whole Internet, and eventually managing our lives.
Well friends, it seems like Hulu is already there. So as much as I loved Mr. Robot, it's obvious that The Borg like entity that controls Hulu is not going to allow anyone to watch Mr. Robot on their website, at least not until they surrender every little drop of data about them, their families etc, to th ruling elite masters of the Ads.. I guess I'll just have to pass.
If I could give a negative infinity rating I would

blainef9
1/15/16

Constantly buffering and i pay for 5.0 high speed internet. Hulus end

kenj104
1/12/16

Man, what's up with those commercials all the time?! It's unbearable! Had all the best intentions to stick with them but I gave up after watching 2 episodes of Scandal where i waisted most of my time on watching something i don't give an F about! You could do better, Hulu!

maryg127
1/11/16

I will just say as a past Hulu customer, that I enjoyed Hulu much better than Netflix. Everyone has their favorites, it was just more satisfying to me because of the pre-recorded programs from the day before, and they had added the opportunity to add HBO or Showtime. I would have enjoyed it more if they would have had more shows from different channels.

pascalm10
1/7/16

I have Netflix and Hulu subscription. Loving both services ! Use this link to get 2 weeks free at Hulu. Give it a try ! http://www.hulu.com/r/0Mc4SQ

jennym45
1/4/16

Too many connection issues. I seldom have problems with any Netflix or Amazon or any other service. I won't even comment on the commercials. The only reason I have Hulu is for South Park .

tammyb41
1/3/16

I have enjoyed the variety on Hulu, but it has always been lacking previous seasons for the shows I like and now it seems the commercials are overwhelming. There are so many commercials I'm not enjoying the programs I do like to watch. It's to the point I'm ready to cancel. I'm going to suffer through the last few episodes of the show I'm watching now and be done with it. I have seen quite a few similar complaints and it's obvious Hulu isn't paying attention, so I will find my programs elsewhere and not deal with the dreadful repetitive commericis every two min.

huluhateri
1/2/16

First, you pay every month, and they still have ads almost every 2 minutes, I would say I watch more ads than the actual show. Also, its the same ad, o repeat every freaking time. It sucks and it makes me crazy.Second of all, I tried calling about an issue I was having, and I have been sick, which makes my voice sound quite odd, and the lady working for hulu said and I quote "We don't have time for stupid prank calls" and hung up! I am paying for this dumb subscription and hulu's workers are treating customers like such.

chrisr136
1/1/16

My experience with Hulu was good for about the first year. Then, in October 2015, they charged me twice, upping me from my normal agreed-to rate of $7.99 to $11.99 without even giving me notice or choice in them doing this. Then, at the beginning of December, I go to watch movies and there are ads all over them, and a "Start Your Free Trial" green bar , when I had been on a paid plan sans ads. Then, they effectively locked me out of my own account and tried to blame it on me, at first trying to tell me someone stole my card number (other than them, no!), and then, after many back and forths with them, more recently, after I said, "I've had enough of your chicanery. Please credit me back for December and cancel my account" what did they do? They DEBIT me a further $12, so now they owe me $23.98, and I will likely have to replace my card due to their incredible greed and ignorance, stemming, likely, from a recent attempt to ramp themselves up to compete with Netflix, but which I predict will completely backfire in their faces. Steer clear of these pickpocketing goons and stick with Netflix, or better yet find your favorite movies on Amazon or YouTube or DVD and stay away from these video streaming scam-artists altogether!

laurier17
12/28/15

If I am paying for a service, why do I have to watch commercials? Sure, I get to watch the shows the day after they air (which is nice), but I don't like paying for something and being subjected to advertisements

alyg
12/26/15

I love Hulu Plus. It has tons of options for entertainment and it's fantastic. The problem I have is that it will not stop buffering. I would get halfway through an episode and it will start to buffer every 10 seconds. I've tried rewinding it a bit, pausing it and just simply waiting and nothing helps. If I had known i would be spending an hour watching a 24 minute episode, I wouldn't have spent money on Hulu and quite honestly just watched a sped up version on YouTube. Very upset.

luh4
12/15/15

I was charged a day early for my service which created a nightmare with my bank account since I was in the process of closing it. I was charged a fee from my bank who would not return the fee because my account had been closed right after Hulu charged me a day early. I was literally cancelling my subscription when I was charged. They returned the fee but did not do anything about me incurring an extra $25 fee due to their mistake. Be warned! The fee is not always for a full month and you can't trust them to have your account page correct. Their excuse was about time zones but no where on their site do they say anything about which time zone they use.

leahm28
12/7/15

I don't mind the commercials but every two minutes of watching a show it constantly freezes and is "loading." I know for a fact it isn't my devices because Netflix and every other thing we use for streaming shows and movies works perfectly fine! Fix your junk if you are going to charge people outrageous prices!!!!! This is freaking ridiculous!!! It is junk! End of story! Don't bother wasting your time unless you like the shows/movies you watch to constantly freeze every two minutes and you have to go back and reload it! Horrible service and will be discontinuing! Not worth my time at all!!!! Hulu sucks!!!!

danielaa4
12/2/15

I have been trying Hulu for 2 days (thankfully for free) and I gave up. Here is my experience:
1. Commercials, commercials, commercials! Why pay good money for commercials? That's the main reason I gave up cable TV in the first place! No commercials on Netflix for the same money. Or Amazon if you prefer.
2. Streaming crashed 1-4 times per 50 minutes episode! Never crashed during a commercial and every time without fail when restarting, it goes to... guess what, commercials!!! Either the same or new.
3. On my Samsung wifi bluray the app would not display my Queue or Favorites and it wouldn't even remember what I was watching! So every time it crashed I had to do a search for the title.
So I won't even use my free month subscription, my blood pressure can't handle it.

saram72
11/22/15

I use Hulu for all my current TV shows (never Cable TV again!). Plus it has tons of genre's in movies and TV, documentaries, originals, and more. Try it commercial free. It's the BEST!!

sharonl51
11/19/15

If I am paying of the service, I do not expect to have to also sit through commercials. Either I'm sponsoring the programming and get it commercial free, or advertisers are sponsoring the programming and I get it with commercials at no cost. Hulu is double-dipping, and it's unpleasant.

amandac88
11/17/15

PRETTY GOOD MOVIES!

mp62
11/14/15

Got the 1 month free, The typical come-on i.e. NOTHING IS FOR FREE. couldn't access Hulu after the month BUT WAS CHARGED! Called, asked for the refund and to check that I CANCELLED THE SUBSCRIPTION. Refused to give me the month that I did not use. Asked for supervisor, put on hold for 25 minutes, hung up after I remembered that American Express will dispute the charge. Sure enough...GOT CREDIT immediately from AE! AGAIN...NOTHING IS FREE...I kept thinking of the many people that do not check/reconcile their statements and would not catch the error.

crystald19
11/14/15

So, now you have no cable.... you have Hulu... your favorite TV show is on, your excited to watch it.... you get on the couch, all ready... and Hulu won't work !! it won't stay on, it keep kicking you out. you try it over and over and over, but nothing, the service keeps kicking you out. You contact Customer Service, they give you some lip service about your connection... however, Netflix and Amazon Prim still work, just fine - if only they had current TV shows, I would not have to deal with Hulu. my service hardly EVER WORKS - if I'm lucky to get through a complete show without the service going out, it's rare ! this service is NOT worth cutting your cable off for, because it works so sparsley.

joeyh23
11/10/15

I love Hulu. the only thing that I have a problem with well two things are bill Carey more than one season but then they cut part of the season off and you can't go back and rewatch it also if you going to only supply half of season then don't supply the last half and leave the first half gone. I prefer it supply the whole season rather than anything at all personally. but if I have to choose I'd rather watch the first half of the season at least then I know whats going on. other than that I love the line up!

alysonp1
11/10/15

So since I didn't buy the add free hulu it's absolutely horrible freezes on movies and I can't watch any episodes at all because when a marine add comes on it freezes the last second before starting family guy or any show for that matter absolutely ridiculous I want my money back

jasminec14
11/10/15

I like being able to watch the shows I want to Watch without having to pay for cable or satellite. However, as a paying customer of Hulu I have experienced several problems. Sometimes when I watch Hulu and it comes back from commercial it will have the audio but no video. Additionally, sometimes it won't play the episode for a very long, time there's just a ridiculous loading period in which I am worried that it won't work at all. These problems happen often enough that I felt the need to write a review about it. I considered that it might just be my Internet that is the problem, but I also have Netflix and I do not experience the same problems with that. I sincerely hope that these bugs can be fixed.

224 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

15 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Hulu staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question