US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

angelaw

it has just about every popular tv show out there and is great for when you miss your show or forgot to tivo it. (in 27 reviews)

petej

There are some ads before shows, but they're not bad. (in 38 reviews)

solb1

They have a nice selection of TV shows to watch, and to a lesser extent movies. (in 28 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

lm70
2/6/16

Hulu is OK, and I'm saying this because my account it free, and sometimes I get to see really excellent things. I got a chance to see the first episode of WayWard Pines before it aired. Yes my account was free at that time. The Hulu site is so much easier to navigate than Netflix. On Hulu if you are having trouble locating movies, type in for example Lionsgate and up will pop all the movies associated with it. These are the movies you will not find on the surface of Hulu but still available through it.

scottb131
1/26/16

Hulu and Netflix, maybe GOHBO, stream over the internet, dump the cable company. Cable companies are horrible, and why watch programming on their schedule anyway? On-demand programming is the future. Scheduled programming is so over.

savannah55
1/26/16

Hulu was intriguing to my family because we love TV without having all of the ridiculous channels at the ridiculous price, so instead we went on demand with Hulu which is SUPER frustrating at times because it only has half seasons, it is UNGODLEY slow at getting the new episodes of previous seasons they air and if they do show them it could be online only so if you have a tablet you're royally screwed. The commercials have gotten increasingly annoying since they now give you the option to go commercial free and if you choose to stick with the commercials...trust that in a few days they will push you into the extra cash. Hulu just get your $#*! together.

arthurb58
1/24/16

I enjoy Hulu and use it more frequently than any other video website, however I would like to see them update their content a little more often and quicker. I've watched the entire second season of Homicide Hunter (A show I've gotten addicted to) but they do not have season one or any other season available to watch. And I know so far, that show has about 5 seasons.

christiel3
1/21/16

on 12/9/15 i signed for the free trial but cancelled the service. They billed my credit card on 12/18/15 and on 1/18/16 even though it was cancelled. I emailed them for a refund stating that I obviously cancelled and havent used their service. I also asked them to look at the history to confirm that i am not using their service. They were only able to refund 1 of the two month they charged me. Whats the point of trial when you guys charge even after i cancel

davidt161
1/17/16

I just tried to watch Mr. Robot on Hulu , for which I have an account.
However, after literally 15 minutes of having to fill out "surveys' ranging from Kohls to Cars to other mindless products, each of which asked for more and more personal information and never ended, I finally realized that Hulu had become what South Park in it's latest Politically Correct Whole Foods Fiasco season warned us about, which was mainly.. ADS become self aware and taking over the whole Internet, and eventually managing our lives.
Well friends, it seems like Hulu is already there. So as much as I loved Mr. Robot, it's obvious that The Borg like entity that controls Hulu is not going to allow anyone to watch Mr. Robot on their website, at least not until they surrender every little drop of data about them, their families etc, to th ruling elite masters of the Ads.. I guess I'll just have to pass.
If I could give a negative infinity rating I would

blainef9
1/15/16

Constantly buffering and i pay for 5.0 high speed internet. Hulus end

kenj104
1/12/16

Man, what's up with those commercials all the time?! It's unbearable! Had all the best intentions to stick with them but I gave up after watching 2 episodes of Scandal where i waisted most of my time on watching something i don't give an F about! You could do better, Hulu!

maryg127
1/11/16

I will just say as a past Hulu customer, that I enjoyed Hulu much better than Netflix. Everyone has their favorites, it was just more satisfying to me because of the pre-recorded programs from the day before, and they had added the opportunity to add HBO or Showtime. I would have enjoyed it more if they would have had more shows from different channels.

pascalm10
1/7/16

I have Netflix and Hulu subscription. Loving both services ! Use this link to get 2 weeks free at Hulu. Give it a try ! http://www.hulu.com/r/0Mc4SQ

jennym45
1/4/16

Too many connection issues. I seldom have problems with any Netflix or Amazon or any other service. I won't even comment on the commercials. The only reason I have Hulu is for South Park .

tammyb41
1/3/16

I have enjoyed the variety on Hulu, but it has always been lacking previous seasons for the shows I like and now it seems the commercials are overwhelming. There are so many commercials I'm not enjoying the programs I do like to watch. It's to the point I'm ready to cancel. I'm going to suffer through the last few episodes of the show I'm watching now and be done with it. I have seen quite a few similar complaints and it's obvious Hulu isn't paying attention, so I will find my programs elsewhere and not deal with the dreadful repetitive commericis every two min.

huluhateri
1/2/16

First, you pay every month, and they still have ads almost every 2 minutes, I would say I watch more ads than the actual show. Also, its the same ad, o repeat every freaking time. It sucks and it makes me crazy.Second of all, I tried calling about an issue I was having, and I have been sick, which makes my voice sound quite odd, and the lady working for hulu said and I quote "We don't have time for stupid prank calls" and hung up! I am paying for this dumb subscription and hulu's workers are treating customers like such.

chrisr136
1/1/16

My experience with Hulu was good for about the first year. Then, in October 2015, they charged me twice, upping me from my normal agreed-to rate of $7.99 to $11.99 without even giving me notice or choice in them doing this. Then, at the beginning of December, I go to watch movies and there are ads all over them, and a "Start Your Free Trial" green bar , when I had been on a paid plan sans ads. Then, they effectively locked me out of my own account and tried to blame it on me, at first trying to tell me someone stole my card number (other than them, no!), and then, after many back and forths with them, more recently, after I said, "I've had enough of your chicanery. Please credit me back for December and cancel my account" what did they do? They DEBIT me a further $12, so now they owe me $23.98, and I will likely have to replace my card due to their incredible greed and ignorance, stemming, likely, from a recent attempt to ramp themselves up to compete with Netflix, but which I predict will completely backfire in their faces. Steer clear of these pickpocketing goons and stick with Netflix, or better yet find your favorite movies on Amazon or YouTube or DVD and stay away from these video streaming scam-artists altogether!

laurier17
12/28/15

If I am paying for a service, why do I have to watch commercials? Sure, I get to watch the shows the day after they air (which is nice), but I don't like paying for something and being subjected to advertisements

alyg
12/26/15

I love Hulu Plus. It has tons of options for entertainment and it's fantastic. The problem I have is that it will not stop buffering. I would get halfway through an episode and it will start to buffer every 10 seconds. I've tried rewinding it a bit, pausing it and just simply waiting and nothing helps. If I had known i would be spending an hour watching a 24 minute episode, I wouldn't have spent money on Hulu and quite honestly just watched a sped up version on YouTube. Very upset.

luh4
12/15/15

I was charged a day early for my service which created a nightmare with my bank account since I was in the process of closing it. I was charged a fee from my bank who would not return the fee because my account had been closed right after Hulu charged me a day early. I was literally cancelling my subscription when I was charged. They returned the fee but did not do anything about me incurring an extra $25 fee due to their mistake. Be warned! The fee is not always for a full month and you can't trust them to have your account page correct. Their excuse was about time zones but no where on their site do they say anything about which time zone they use.

leahm28
12/7/15

I don't mind the commercials but every two minutes of watching a show it constantly freezes and is "loading." I know for a fact it isn't my devices because Netflix and every other thing we use for streaming shows and movies works perfectly fine! Fix your junk if you are going to charge people outrageous prices!!!!! This is freaking ridiculous!!! It is junk! End of story! Don't bother wasting your time unless you like the shows/movies you watch to constantly freeze every two minutes and you have to go back and reload it! Horrible service and will be discontinuing! Not worth my time at all!!!! Hulu sucks!!!!

danielaa4
12/2/15

I have been trying Hulu for 2 days (thankfully for free) and I gave up. Here is my experience:
1. Commercials, commercials, commercials! Why pay good money for commercials? That's the main reason I gave up cable TV in the first place! No commercials on Netflix for the same money. Or Amazon if you prefer.
2. Streaming crashed 1-4 times per 50 minutes episode! Never crashed during a commercial and every time without fail when restarting, it goes to... guess what, commercials!!! Either the same or new.
3. On my Samsung wifi bluray the app would not display my Queue or Favorites and it wouldn't even remember what I was watching! So every time it crashed I had to do a search for the title.
So I won't even use my free month subscription, my blood pressure can't handle it.

saram72
11/22/15

I use Hulu for all my current TV shows (never Cable TV again!). Plus it has tons of genre's in movies and TV, documentaries, originals, and more. Try it commercial free. It's the BEST!!

sharonl51
11/19/15

If I am paying of the service, I do not expect to have to also sit through commercials. Either I'm sponsoring the programming and get it commercial free, or advertisers are sponsoring the programming and I get it with commercials at no cost. Hulu is double-dipping, and it's unpleasant.

amandac88
11/17/15

PRETTY GOOD MOVIES!

mp62
11/14/15

Got the 1 month free, The typical come-on i.e. NOTHING IS FOR FREE. couldn't access Hulu after the month BUT WAS CHARGED! Called, asked for the refund and to check that I CANCELLED THE SUBSCRIPTION. Refused to give me the month that I did not use. Asked for supervisor, put on hold for 25 minutes, hung up after I remembered that American Express will dispute the charge. Sure enough...GOT CREDIT immediately from AE! AGAIN...NOTHING IS FREE...I kept thinking of the many people that do not check/reconcile their statements and would not catch the error.

crystald19
11/14/15

So, now you have no cable.... you have Hulu... your favorite TV show is on, your excited to watch it.... you get on the couch, all ready... and Hulu won't work !! it won't stay on, it keep kicking you out. you try it over and over and over, but nothing, the service keeps kicking you out. You contact Customer Service, they give you some lip service about your connection... however, Netflix and Amazon Prim still work, just fine - if only they had current TV shows, I would not have to deal with Hulu. my service hardly EVER WORKS - if I'm lucky to get through a complete show without the service going out, it's rare ! this service is NOT worth cutting your cable off for, because it works so sparsley.

joeyh23
11/10/15

I love Hulu. the only thing that I have a problem with well two things are bill Carey more than one season but then they cut part of the season off and you can't go back and rewatch it also if you going to only supply half of season then don't supply the last half and leave the first half gone. I prefer it supply the whole season rather than anything at all personally. but if I have to choose I'd rather watch the first half of the season at least then I know whats going on. other than that I love the line up!

alysonp1
11/10/15

So since I didn't buy the add free hulu it's absolutely horrible freezes on movies and I can't watch any episodes at all because when a marine add comes on it freezes the last second before starting family guy or any show for that matter absolutely ridiculous I want my money back

jasminec14
11/10/15

I like being able to watch the shows I want to Watch without having to pay for cable or satellite. However, as a paying customer of Hulu I have experienced several problems. Sometimes when I watch Hulu and it comes back from commercial it will have the audio but no video. Additionally, sometimes it won't play the episode for a very long, time there's just a ridiculous loading period in which I am worried that it won't work at all. These problems happen often enough that I felt the need to write a review about it. I considered that it might just be my Internet that is the problem, but I also have Netflix and I do not experience the same problems with that. I sincerely hope that these bugs can be fixed.

christinew45
11/4/15

I'm a second time user of Hulu bcuz it reloads every few minutes nonstop. I signed up for Hulu a few yrs ago which then I was having this problem also so I gotten rid of it. It took me 1 hr or longer just to watch a 30 min show. So now I decided to reactivate it again to see if this still happens and still not happy with this. I know it's not the Internet connection bcuz this doesn't happen with Netflix. So...again I'm deactivating this cuz I'm not paying 7.99 for something that I'm not going to watch....if there's something you want to watch on Hulu that's not on Netflix wait til it gets on there or find a different way!!! Not worth it!

Tip for consumers: Not worth it!

shirrellj
11/1/15

best thing to having cable

jeanl37
10/28/15

I went ahead and try Hulu "free trial" becauss I've been hearing good comments about it. From what I know is the free trial was suppose to last up to 30 days. 1 week later, we were already charged. Then it also indicated the next payment that will be billed. Ain't free trial suppose to last up to 30 days? I cancelled my subscription due to the issue. Can't keep their words like Netflix.

ashleym107
10/27/15

We've been trying Hulu for a little while now, and I think it's ridiculous that we pay for commercials. On top of that, the playback is awful. I know it's not our internet service because everything else works just fine. Hulu needs to get it together because their competition is crushing them. I will no longer be a part of this service.

kevins119
10/27/15

Of all the pay to watch services hulu is the worst. Why would you pay for a service that then makes you watch commercial after commercial. Literally every few minutes you have to watch the same commercials over and over. Do yourself a favor stick with Netflix or Amazon Prime where you don't have to deal with stuff like that.

peterk75
10/26/15

For what they charge a month, the consumer should never see "Playback Failure The selected video could not be played. Sorry for the inconvenience"

This is 2015 and the state of the art in streaming ought to be running at a higher caliber. There is no acceptable excuse for poor performance. ShowTime and Commercial Free services that bump up the cost but not the capacity to stream effectively is specious.

jonathanj25
10/25/15

You pay $8.00 a month and they still make you watch commercials!! What's the point when you have on demand? Netflix doesn't make you watch commercials. Hulu is greedy. If it wasn't for commercials it wouldn't be bad.

markl147
10/23/15

does not have complete seasons of old tv shows i.e voyage to the bottom of the sea, night gallery etc.

amandaa42
10/20/15

Hulu has impeccable service. I was billed in error but they handled this within MINUTES. I will definitely keep them in mind for my future needs.

maryg107
10/16/15

I kept getting billed, for two months in a row, after cancelling Hulu on their website. It even showed me as cancelled when I tried to log in. I tried looking up my account using the credit card number , which the Hulu site allows you to do,and it said no active account was associated with that credit card number. In spite of the fact they continued to bill that credit card! I had a hard time finding out how to dispute the charges, because the website makes it hard to find that info. I finally did, and they have a link to request a phone call from them. I did that and a rep called me back immediately. She was nice and promised to cancel the billimg and give me a two month refund. I will have to keep checking my statement to make sure that happens.

melvins22
10/15/15

I been a Hulu subscriber for over five years and I have never had an issue with connecting to the Hulu service in the past.

But recently, I connected to Hulu and received a message which not only made no technical sense but made me angry. Perhaps some of you who use this service also received a similar message and I strongly recommend you 'go public' about it when you do so Hulu can stop jerking us around.

The message I have been receiving from Hulu tells me that unless I drop my 'anonymous' VPN connection based on my " non-US IP address", I cannot access Hulu. Their FAQ on this issue explains the use of a VPN prevents them from 'protecting' their stream content from being accessed from outside the US.

This explanation is not just laughable, it's an insult to your intelligence for the following reasons. First, I use a US based VPN service to connect to Hulu. I am a US subscriber, using a CC issued by a US bank to pay for my service. My identity and that of my VPN provider is both known to Hulu.

Second, when a subscriber establishes an account with Hulu they have to authorized their account using a CC issued by a bank who can easily provide them the 'identity' and geographic location (your cc billing address) of the account holder.

Third, Hulu issues identity and access credentials to each subscriber that must be provided every time the service is accessed. So there is no ANONYMITY in connecting for Hulu when you sign in to their services and Hulu logs in only the verified subscriber. Further, your address information provided to them by their payment processor comes to them from their billing every month.

Those three obvious facts make any representation by Hulu that using a VPN to connect to their service is 'anonymous' not only false but completely nonsensical.

What makes this message from Hulu an insult to anyone's intelligence is the real reason Hulu wants a subscriber to not use a VPN. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the connection being anonymous. Unlike Amazon Prime streaming, Hulu sells ads with their service and their ad cards and pricing is based upon their being able to 'geolocate' and identify the subscriber using the IP address.

So forgetting entirely this 'fiction' about the anonymity of the VPN being the problem, what Hulu is actually doing by refusing to allow a US subscriber to access their content violating that subscriber's privacy.

Hulu's 'VPN policy' is simply to make false and ridiculous claims about a VPN connection preventing them from limiting the streaming of content to the US by a subscriber anonymous so they can make more ad revenues.

What Hulu won't tell you they use your IP address to 'geolocate' you and then to sell you as a geographic viewer audience to an advertiser. This explains why you keep getting ads for products you aren't interested in despite your telling them the ad doesn't apply to you. If you are in some geographically defined region, then you get the ad regardless of your stated preferences.

Also using a VPN is not about being anonymous, it's about privacy and security. You sign it to Hulu, so how can they claim they don't know who you are or that you reside in the US?

If you want to watch Hulu from a public WiFi hotspot, first connecting to your VPN prevents the hotspot provider from knowing your username, password or what service or content you are connecting to. It also ensures no nerd with a laptop nearby isn't poaching your credentials and using them to use your Hulu account from their Wifi hotspot.

So in effect, Hulu's 'no VPN' policy want to force you to deny you your privacy and forde you to potentially compromise your Hulu account and share your service with anyone thru whom you make your Internet connection.

Next, there is nothing, absolutely nothing Hulu can do to prevent a non-US person from using a US-based VPN to connect to Hulu. Hulu has no legal right, and is prevented from doing so in several states, by using your IP address to "locate" you. It's called 'cyber stalking'. You provided Hulu a US billing address to use to authorize their payment by credit/.debit card and the bank verified you as a a US based subscriber. If Hulu wants to 'protect' content from being accessed by someone outside the US, they don't have to rely on your IP address to do that.

So Hulu's stated reason to restrict streaming content to US subscribers is pure BS. Therefore Hulu's claim their VPN policy is for 'content restriction' is a good sounding reason, but not the real one. A bright 'foreign' person could highjack the wireless modem and Internet connection of a US subscriber, and then use it to connect to Hulu.

aaronf29
10/2/15

not so good service....

heatherg27
10/1/15

No user profiles/lists. Just a queue and history for everyone. Gets tedious. I used it for 1 month and it had nothing else to offer. OLD OLD OLD movies. Commercials. Can now pause & return, but it two people watch the show, you are always losing your place in the series or in each show.

momm10
9/23/15

MIGHT AS WELL GET NETFLIX! I HATE THAT MY SON AND I CAN NOT WATCH SOMETHING AT THE SAME TIME ON DIFFERENT DEVICES YOU ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO STREAM ON ONE DEVICE AT A TIME AND WAS TOLD BY CUSTOMER SERVICE MY ONLY SOLUTION IS TO CREATE ANOTHER ACCOUNT TO PAY ANOTHER DAMN BILL HELL NO! THEY ARE F'N CRAZY! I AM A BIT UPSET & DON'T WANT TO JUST SAY WHAT I HATE I LIKE HULU BETTER BUT IF THEY CAN JUST FIX THAT I MIGHT SAY IT DESERVE 5 STARS IN MY OPINION OTHER THEN THAT I LOVE THAT WE CAN WATCH OUR FAVORITE T.V SHOWS ANYWHERE AT ANYTIME FOR A GREAT PRICE.

tammyr17
9/15/15

Hulu lets you watch series for free, so you get hooked on them. Then halfway through the season, usually the second season - so you're really, truly, deeply hooked, they make you buy the subscription to watch the rest of the season. Now, excuse me while I pay this male escort, snort some coke and watch Hulu.

andyp17
9/15/15

I love Hulu, it gives you a lot of different shows/series/movies etc. to choose from and to watch BUT commercials are killing me! Repeating all the time same stuff over and over and over again. Not to mention frequency. Sometimes I think I'd rather stick with the TV programm.

timp39
9/10/15

As good as Netfllix is, Hulu, which once at least decent, is useless. They skip seasons, episodes, have commercials, and heaven help you, if you give them your credit card info. Horrible, horrible site, customer service people, if you can Ever get one, is rude, incompetent, and, not interested in helping you with any concern you have.
Vudu is MUCH better. Stay away from Hulu.

huluh
9/7/15

Without a doubt, worst company I've dealt with. Terrible quality. Continuously buffers. Video plays for 30 seconds and the goes into "buffering" stage for up to 2 mins. Very frustrating, people tend to watch tv to kick back, relax, and unwind...the buffering just pisses me off, not relaxing at all. So I decided to write Hulu, I even recorded a video of the excessive buffering, Hulu (Fabiola R.) wrote back apologizing for AD LENGTH and explained the business model and why ads are included?! I never even mentioned the word "ad" I typically don't leave negative reviews because I feel it is only fair to address the company director lay instead of publically calling them out, However, there is nothing more frustrating than spending the time to directly address a company with an email (not nearly as long as this review lol) and they can't even spend a minute to read it. It is embarrassing. I then responded to Fabiola R by saying I didn't complain about the ads and you didn't read my email, then asked her to call me to set up cancellation of my service. She says "sorry we don't make outbound calls". I couldn't believe this, she didn't even respond to anything else I said. I also can't stand when companies say they can't make outbound calls. Seriously? Has anyone ever been in an office that has no phone anywhere? You just don't care! Your too busy buffering. No surprise that no one from Hulu has responded to this review page. Do not get Hulu! Even the free 7 days is a joke. DONT DO IT!!!

lauraw65
9/6/15

We signed up for the one week trial. Billing continued. They stated there was history of us watching shows. We looked at the history, there are only two us, and we had never watched any of these shows. Many of the watch times were for less than one minute.

arlenek4
8/30/15

Don't waste your time with HULU!!!! You will regret it. the customer service is the worst as there is no phone number for you to call in. You are FORCED to provide your phone number in and they then will call you back. Like Dude, really?!?!? Also, the service is horrible. It is consistently buffering and you are constantly getting error codes, which means that you CAN NOT watch the show that you are paying for. It took me over a week to get through ONE episode of a show because it kept buffering and locking up. Very frustrating as this is a service that you are paying for. Take my advice and STAY AWAY FROM HULU!!!

lorrainel12
8/29/15

Constant clock error code, restarting my DVR because it freezes up after every episodes. Commercial etc. No more $7.99 out of my pocket. I will stick to Netflix, since got no cables, maybe when Empire episode 2 starts Sep.2015 since I'm in be by 8pm. Bye! !!

curledc
8/28/15

like I said. This is ridiculous.

bills136
8/23/15

I am about ready to throw a shoe through the tv. Trying to watch a series on Hulu today and every episode I have to restart because Hulu can't figure out how to achieve proper downloads. The last episode I never even got to finish. After the episode restarted from the beginning 5 times I had to give up. Hulu wants to blame it on your tv or internet provider but it is truly a Hulu problem. My internet service is downloading at 50mps and Hulu requires 1-3mps. I also have no problem with Netflix or Amazon. Hulu has a great selection, if they could only figure out how to let us watch it.

10 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Hulu staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Answer
stevenh77
A: I have Hulu+, Amazon and Netflix and if you only use one then Netflix is far and away the best choice. There is very little upside to the other services, and there many shows and movies which are included in the Netflix lineup, but pay to view on Amazon. Hulu's lineup isn't as large either.
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
12/28/15
Answer
sharonl51
A: Because they're a rip-off with misleading marketing.
Helpful answer