US Government's NSF
SiteJabber for Companies

13 Reviews for Hover.com

▼ Sort by: recent

6/26/14

Tucows is in the process of cannibalizing Hover's assets by selling off domain names. Other former customers claim Hover provided between 10 and 45 days notice of termination of their email contracts. In my case the email address I had for 16 years suddenly stopped working and I only found out they had discontinued my service and deleted all my files after calling customer support. They agreed to refund the money I paid them for the remainder of my lease, but steadfastly refused to compensate me for actual damages. Do not do business with Hover!

10/28/13

The email "forward-only" service is now spam filtering an cannot be turned off. It marked Amazon and many other obvious sites as spam. I need to constantly log into hover just to un-mark spam. A forwarding service that spam filters is worthless.

10/8/13

"It better represents you. It's easier to communicate. You never need to change it. Plus, you can use it with whatever email program you prefer. We can help."

What a bold, misleading and inaccurate statement found on hover web site.

I have used an email account for me and my family for nearly 15 years. Out of nowhere email telling me no longer available and in 9 weeks you will not be able to use the domain. Tough 5hit basically. Read our t&cs . You have no rights we can terminate the contract when we want nothing you can do about it.

Each subsequent provider Mailbank, Netidentity, Tucows and now Hover have been less and less competent but I still renew every year.

Today I receive an email telling me I have 63 days to leave as my email addresses are going to be cancelled.  A joke I thought or maybe a fishing email scam trying to get me to reveal personal details. Are you having a ¿@#%ing laugh? What is occurring here? Hace you sold off the domain to a large company?
After the unacceptably short notice period given to migrate and multiply and having been treated this way would you really expect me to transfer to another name only for the same to happen again?
Am happy now as have got own address and am in control of domain not just renting it. Also cheaper as I get 5 emails for the same price as 2 from another website hosting company.
Avoid hover / Tucows see other reviews for reasons and ignore the positive review written by the company themselves.

7/15/13

i would give ZERO STAR if i could. they automatically renew your domain even if you have cancelled it. i CANNOT believe it! and i called customer service to complain, but the representative on the phone was like "at this point, i cannot do anything about it." he repeated that statement 3 times! it was not pleasant talking to him on monday morning. DO NOT SIGN UP!

5/21/13

I've been a longtime customer, since they were MailBank in 1998. At the time they offered email forwarding service for a very reasonable price, and I got locked in to using a nice email address that they provided. Over the years the prices have gone from reasonable to downright robbery!
DO NOT SIGN UP WITH HOVER! You will get locked in to an email address and they jack the prices when you become reliant on it.

5/13/13

I'm another one who's used it for years but only under sufferance. Customer service/support has been woeful since hover took over NetIdentity.
Use another provider if you can...

11/5/12

Stay away from this vendor. Little or no value other than hijacking your family's name.

Started off as Nameplanet, respectable organization committed to protecting peoples rights to their on-line presence. Since with Hover, tons of spam, lots of down time and poor service with barely more than automated responses to requests... all while they increase the price. I have a very uncommon family name and they own it. They won't say how many users are signed on for it... just that they own it.

5/25/12

Terrible services. The downtime % of my site. is ridiculous. Stay away if you need a reliable hosting service!

5/22/12

I was a user when the company still called itself NetIdentity.com. Actually since before that when it was called Mailbank.com. The original service plan was 9.95 for 1 real POP email account, which was advertised as for life.
Since then, company names changed probably with different owners and management. After a few price hikes I've left feeling disappointed by the new pricing and service plans.
From a support standpoint, the company was responsive and responsible and reliable.
For users that want a easy one-stop provider of high-demand custom domains Hover may be for you.
I would suggest however puchasing your own .com/.net/.org domain and buying a hosting service instead for more flexibility. $35/year for a single email may be OK. But I'm certain you can get much more paying just a little more.

1/8/12

Hover is absolutely fantastic!!!

I am totally against SOPA, the Stop Online Piracy Act. The bottom line is, Go Daddy supported it... until they got grilled by the Internet for doing so. GoDaddy's SOPA support lost them a ton of customers apparently, myself and my friends included, not to mention Wikipedia... This negative response led Go Daddy to eventually take its hat out of the ring, so to speak, choose a position of neutrality, and then do a total reversal. Now, GoDaddy claims they no longer support SOPA. LIES!!! Hover, on the other hand, never supported SOPA and came out against it before it was cool to do so. Hover is built on OpenSRS and owned by Tucows. Sure, they offer great service at an affordable price. However, what perhaps matters most is they are trustworthy! Even though there are cheaper alternatives out there, you definitely get your money's worth with Hover.

Their DNS management interface is really sweet. Basically, you can edit multiple domains in bulk, or only certain types of entries. Domain privacy is included. Their surname email service is the bomb.

Highly recommend this company and I'm not sure what the negative reviews are about.

A++++!!!!

2/4/11

I had a Hover account for years. Then one day they send me an email and say that its too bad but I can't keep it, go somewhere else. We'll give you 45 days to get lost. Sleazebag company.

11/22/10

very poor service, very fast (but very BAD) customer service.

Don't use

Unreliable

5/12/10

Hover is an amazing, ethical, cheap domain name registration service. Their prices are realistic and fair, their services are easy to use and understand, and customer service is amazing. In my experience, they're the best out of all domain name registration services. I couldn't be happier! I love the way they handle domains!

I switched over last month from my old registrar who did things like put 60-day locks on my domain names or spammed me with advertisements constantly. For example, the prices at my old registrar seemed low but all of the hidden fees kept stacking up. For example, their .coms were really cheap, but private registration was an extra $9.99 yearly, making the total costs to me around $20. Hover's .coms are only $15 and private registration is included free. It can easily be turned on and off via Hover's intuitive GUI.

Hover's website is easy to use and free of annoying, flashy, spammy advertisements unlike the big, popular, misleading registrar. Hover's checkout process is simple and easy and they don't try to constantly push additional products along the way.

Hover is amazing. The prices are realistic, fair, and direct. There are no hidden fees. Also, for those who are curious, people may often ask how to buy a domain name through Tucows. To buy a Tucows domain, go through Hover.com since Hover is Tucows' personal front. It's all OpenSRS anyway.

I discovered Hover from a Yahoo! answers post linking to http://www.hovercoupon.com/ which had a 10% off hover.com coupon code, HONEST, and a lot of really useful information.

Switching was really easy but remember to disable private registration at your previous registrar first or all sorts of Hell can break loose. =/

GREAT COMPANY!