US Government’s NSF

4/26/16

Nice

charlened1
3/18/16

I wanted this product to work. I installed it three times and uninstalled it all three times. I got disgusted with not only the errors in its "advice", but in the aggravation it caused me by putting corrections right on top of the error nd refusing to move the balloons until I addressed the issue, I couldn't address the issue because the balloon covered it. I couldn't even see it to determine if I needed to correct something, much less to fix it if I found it was an error. The main thing it did for me was to point out typos. While that's a good thing, it's not what was promised. If your main problem is typos, go for it. Otherwise, just use a dictionary.

edwarde20
3/5/16

We signed up for Grammarly for 1 year for my daughters MBA dissertation. A year later and after she graduated my credit card was billed again without prior email or announcement.

It's a business practice that is unacceptable. I reported it to AMEX as a fraudulent charge and was issued a new credit card.

There is no reachable customer service and all I have read here by Ann E. are lies. This company is unwilling to return fraudulent changes and will just ignore you.

If they ever charged your card, replace that card because otherwise they will charge you forever.

Tip for consumers: DO NOT FALL FOR THE SITE THERE ARE MUCH BETTER ONES

mattp53
2/22/16

Grammarly's business model in a nutshell, like many other scams nowadays:
1. Hire a programmer or two for a week or two.
2. Build a rudimentary web-based word processor
3. Offer free trials of course, but subscription plans must be no less than $30 a month.
4. Advertise your crap like crazy.
5. Hope for people to forget canceling their subscription at the end of the free trial (chances are some will).
6. No need for providing customer service for those whose credit card has been charged at the end of the free trial.

davido75
2/20/16

has not caught a single punctuation error even if I use none at all why is it so hard to find a bad review are they hiding them with all of their own stuff people need to know the truth before they buy this program if you need something like this Grammarly will not help you oh and this post was proofread by Grammarly it only caught speeling

roseb62
2/15/16

I have problems with sentence structure and grammar. This was the best investment I ever made because it has helped me to write better papers. Whether it is an email, essay, research paper, or annotated bibliography grammarly does help.

monikal5
2/2/16

I love to write and was looking forward to having this mentor by my side to edit as I typed. it was like a really mean teacher that kept ripping up my work and saying "do over" it kept erasing what I had written and now it seems to be haunting me like the word stalker . . I can't get rid of it!!! see it's even at the right hand corner at the bottom... see it?? oh now it wants to correct my two "?"s....

philv1
1/27/16

While Grammarly software begins to address the deficiencies in Win-365 spelling and grammar checker, from a professional perspective, this product is not ready for prime time and should not be released as a production software product. I have been waiting for two weeks for the company to respond to my request for an uninstall fix. My request was posted to the company's support site on 1/15/16. Two week's later, still no fix.

jimn41
1/22/16

I found it annoying, all it does is give false positives and occasional typos or spelling errors.

gramh
1/11/16

Actually, there are much better services. I don't like the way they use my uploaded papers. Better use www.Plagramme.com or plagiarism-detect.com

jj190
1/5/16

Grammarly is okay. Not great though.

mellodies
12/19/15

im learning to write all over again. and i like it

karenj59
12/6/15

First the product - it helped me a lot although it has a few problems. I can work around them (I have an editor which helps.) My main issue is with the lack of support. I thought I was the only one having a problem with Grammarly and then I find this site. I was so happy. I'm not alone - everyone else is as miserable as me. I've been having password issues since the 23rd of November 15 and I can't login to my account. Grammarly has debited funds from my bank account and I don't even know what for. They seem to ignore my issues. However they are taking funds from my bank account. How do they continue to operate is beyond me. There business practices seem to be fraudulent. Thanks for listening.

claudiob18
11/30/15

I saw a lot of complaints, but seriously I can't understand why people bash this software.
I am a professional writer, but I'm not a native English speaker, so I find it incredibly useful and also quite cheap.

caroleb20
10/18/15

I want to know how to get rid of this annoying crap. Someone loaded part of it
't on my computer and it's like having a nag, nag, nag that I can"t get rid of plus it blocks what I'm writing and wastes my valuable time and aggravates the heck out of me. How do I get it gone?

jacoba22
10/6/15

Not often but use it. An indispensable assistant.

stephj3
9/2/15

Grammarly regularly creates phoney manufactured news and publishes it on the Wall Street journal and Forbes by paid employees. Affiliate papers than grab the news and publish it. This is an advertising scam covered as a news story. Search Google "grammarly wsj"

The latest are:

Wall Street Journal
Aug. 31, 2015 Auburn Trounces Alabama in Iron Bowl—of Grammar WSJ
Jun 22, 2015 Mets Fans: Not So Amazin' at Spelling and Grammar - WSJ
Apr 28, 2015 Washington Redskins: Bad at Football, Worse at Spelling - WSJ

valeriel11
8/24/15

I am working on my MPH, and decided to use Grammarly to assist with my papers. Six months in I suffered a shoulder issue and needed to take a several months off to recover. When I tried to cancel the subscription, Grammarly would not refund me MY money for the months I would not be able to use their service. They will not provide me with a number to speak to a human being. I am completely disgusted with them. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THEIR SERVICE!!! There are other reputable programs to use that will let you talk to a human being!!

michaelb219
6/6/15

This add-in for Word 2010 popped up in my email and I thought, Why not? So I downloaded it, only to find it won't do bupkis unless I subscribe. But in setting up an account, it asked me my purpose: student. I get that software costs a lot to develop. Same time, I kind of expected (erroneously, it turns out) a bit of a break on the cost as I'm a STUDENT, which means I'm friggin' poor! Oh, well. Don't need it. But for kicks, I plugged Hemingway's "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" into Grammarly... I think I prefer Papa's ability to the program's. I don't know, but dry, mechanical, sanitary prose doesn't sound like a great goal. One of the errors (it found 27) in his story, according to Grammarly, is wordiness. Hardly a Hemingway trait. Pass.

amyk29
3/27/15

When I purchased Grammarly, it worked great for about two weeks. All I get now is a screen that says that it's loading. I emailed them and Kasey has asked me to take a screen shot by pressing F12 (I don't have an F12 on my Chromebook...which I told them I am using) then got a reply several days later to ask me what system I'm using. I told them in my first email...Using a Chromebook and it runs on Chrome. Told them AGAIN what I am using...still no fix for my issue. After reading these comments, I am definitely canceling, It works on my typing other places but, I can't get to my papers already on it or type any new ones!!

amym65
3/25/15

agreed to purchase a trial period subscription this morning and used it to write a paper, Grammarly indicated that my paper was great, very few mistakes and I corrected those few things. I went ahead and submitted to my instructor. Then I decided to play with the program and uploaded my paper on the grammarly site and all sorts of errors popped up. I can’t believe one portion of the program said everything was correct and then a second part of the programs said I had countless errors. I am livid not only did I get charge 30 dollars for a program that did not work, my grade in the class is now jeopardized. My second complaint is that I was told I was signing up for a 7 day trial period but I was charge before I could even decide if I liked the program, which I don’t. I want my money back, this was a total waste of time and money! Don’t be fool by their offer of a trial period, you will be charged right away!

tianah
2/1/15

this website is dumb I did the free trial then I canceled it now they charged me for a whole year I want my money back now also it says that I did it on the second and today is the first I don't give a $#*! I want my money back NOWWWW!!!!!!

anthonya34
1/28/15

I would not give it 1 star if I didn't have to. I did this for my doctoral thesis and thought that was it, then I got another charge to my credit card and can't get in contact with anyone. It did the job, but I would not ever recommend this company. It is bad business, and bad business' don't stay in business.

edn219
1/12/15

My complaint is less about the product than the service.

First, the product--To construct a writing checker is a monumentally complex task, so I do expect it to offer many awkward comments and corrections that are meaningless. Awkward though it is, I find it useful. I do like that it marks errors rather than tries to correct them, and I like the downloadable PDF it provides. Although it is far from elegant, it saves me work and catches things that I likely would not. The Plagiarism Check should default to being on. The manual controls on the older version seemed more intuitive but the newer ones are probably just as good after one learns where they are. Downloading the PDF report is now harder tfor a new user to find. The product seems to be improving with time, so I added one more star.

On the Service--YECCHH! That is where most complaints are going to come from, especially around the business issues of billing. Try to find the name of the officers or owners and connect by phone to speak with a live person. You cannot connect. Hundreds, maybe thousands, of people who enrolled for their software service found the same thing. Complaints are rampant all over the web.

I am surprised that the California Attorney General allows such a spooky business to operate from within that state. This company needs to make responsible communication available.

jimmyb34
1/9/15

If you conduct enough tests on this website, you will discover just how fraudulent this site is. I dare you to check a section composed of five pages. If you make the corrections as advised by grammarly.com, and then check it, the site will indicate there are 0 mistakes, or 100 percent accurate. However, you may check that same 5-page passage a week later, without further revisions, only to find that grammarly.com has found 4 to 8 mistakes in it. You may make the corrections after that, and then find out weeks later there are additional mistakes. See a pattern? A viscous cycle... recycle? If they keep finding mistakes that weren't there days, weeks earlier, you will never cancel your membership.

kristenr5
11/19/14

I mistakenly signed up for the free trial, thinking it may be a useful site. While it did find a few errors, I found that it was flagging items that were correct. As I wanted to get the full use from my trial, I looked at the email I was provided that stated it lasted till November 19th. At the bottom, it listed the address for the company as California so I assumed the company was PST based. I'm EST and I cancelled my subscription at 11:23pm EST on November 18th. I then received an email stating my subscription would end on November 19th. At 11:24pm EST on November 18th (1 minute later), I received an email informing me I had been charged for the service. I checked my credit card and sure enough, I had been. I thought this had to be an accidental error. It was too big of a coincidence for me to cancel and then immediately be charged. Unfortunately for me, their customer service is currently telling me no, they didn't charge me till November 19th though I have emails showing the date received as the 18th. I assume they are going by a different time zone than my EST or their PST. If that is the case, the email stating I was responsible till November 19th should have been explicit with that information unless their intention is to dupe customers all along. I am waiting for a response to my email that included a picture of them saying I had cancelled and my current billing period ended on November 19th. If the company still ignores this, I will then take the advice of one of the reviewers above and contact the Better Business Bureau. Please do not get tempted by the free trial. It's not worth it.

angelaw32
11/16/14

Grammarly is a waste of money and has pitiful customer service. They spent 4 years in their forum avoiding the question of language settings and then deleted the whole thread when I pointed out how ridiculous it was that they took so long to address it. Google 'Grammarly reviews' for evidence of how the service doesn't work.

tonys71
8/13/14

Grammarly billed me twice for the same subscription - cannot communicate with them

franks62
8/4/14

Great product! Does not pick up all mistakes, but does a great job with grammar a punctuation. Recommended!

robertg75
8/3/14

I tried Grammarly for the test period and it seemed to work well for my needs. I received an e-mail offering me a special discounted monthly rate to continue which I decided to use. Instead, when I tried to sign up, they gave me no option to choose the monthly charge and they hit my bank for the full annual charge. I cancelled immediately, but am now in dispute with the company for a refund. I am having to go through the bank to dispute the charge as there is nowhere that I can find a phone number to contact Grammarly directly. Their product works fairly well, but their business practices stink.Watch out.

adnanh1
8/3/14

I tested the trial of grammarly program. Used my email (paypal account) to log in, and unregistered a few minutes later because I did not like it.
Have not signed any agreement, and not used the program since that.
Do not have usernaname to login.5 months later I realised that they took Money 5 times from my account (5 x 29,95).
That is insane. I did not use their program and their service.
Wanted my Money back! Did not get any help from grammarly.com. Get back Money from paypal for last 2 monts (2x29,95)
GRAMMARLY ARE CRIMINALS!

juank4
8/2/14

I was just wondering about the pricing of Grammarly.

Monthly $29.95 | Quarterly $59.95 | Annual $139.95

Now, for a monthly plan, it will cost me $359.40 for the entire year. For the Quarterly plan, it will cost me $119.90 for the entire year. Moreover, for the Annual plan, it will cost me $139.95 for the entire year.

So, it is cheaper if I acquire the Quarterly plan instead of the Annual plan?

Reference: http://www.grammarly.com/pricing

miriamc3
3/12/14

It will not help you to contact Grammarly directly, they will not give you a refund unless you contact the BBB. They give refunds immediately when you notify the BBB.

madelynm2
2/18/14

This site engages in theft. I used the site two years ago and cancelled when my class ended. Many months later they billed me again. I was able to get te charge reversed. (back when they had a working phone number) When reviewing my bank account I noticed they have been charging me $19.99 for the past three months. They bill around the middle of the month. I contacted them by e-mail and they informed me that they could not refund more than two months. I do t know why they have not been shut down or a class action suit has not be filled against them. It is nothing more than simple theft.

janetp11
2/16/14

I paid the $139, six months ago. Today, I tried to use it and there is a big banner across the site that won't go away for me to upgrade for a free trial. I still have 6 months! I am not paying them more money when I haven't even received what I have already paid for!!! This should be illegal!!!

samh56
2/12/14

Grammarly.com is an utter scam....pure and simple. And, if you make the fatal mistake of giving out CC info, then they will bill you every month until the cows come home....canceling is next to impossible. There is Zero customer support. Their toll-free number doesn't work. BEWARE, BEWAR, BEWARE!!!! Do not use or fool with Grammarly.com!!!!!!!!!

deef10
10/14/13

Thankfully, I never tried to be part of this website, but I received an email telling me that they loved one of my reviews and that they were offering bloggers a $10 Amazon gift card in exchanged for advertising. Doesn't sound shady, right? Well...I've never written a review of the book they've mentioned I reviewed. I'm a paranoid person with the internet because of all the scams, so I'm glad I did some research first!

janvig
8/13/13

I cancelled my 7 day trial period and that same day they charged me 139$ on my Amex. What kind of a service is this? I subscribed to it because of at least two articles spoke of its merits. I should have known better. What kind of a website keeps their trial period as 7 days and charges $13 dollars for it. I will ask my bank to reimburse me. Lets see.

donam3
7/4/13

Much like the other complaints - after repeated requests turn off auto pay and no reply. Phone number does not go to a live person. I issued a complaint to PayPal to no avail as well. I will file a better Better Business bureau complaint.

robinm35
3/30/13

I paid for the subscription and never got the product. I was never allowed full access into the site. When I complained to PayPal that I wanted my money back, they said they could get out of it because it is a digital product. Unbelievable. I'm thinking about suing PayPal over it if they don't do something. Maybe then they will shut them down. Horrible.

korinl
3/7/13

This website is a scam. Stay away from this website if you don't want to waste money!!!!

taylorb29
2/1/13

With English being a core class a person would expect that a few websites are available to help write better. Well, upon finishing my first English essay, I wanted to check for grammar errors. I thought it would be a walk in the park to find a great checker. Google helped me find the “free” site grammarly.com. Grammarly was advertised as a free grammar checker, so I quickly decided to try it out. Quickly I realized that I was wrong with choosing Grammarly.com. So I did the unthinkable and actually subscribed to the website for a seven day paid trial. The website didn’t help with anything grammar or spelling related, and I felt like I had wasted a lot time and effort trying to get the website to work. Even after closing the website tab, I cannot escape their ads and their emails that they are constantly sending me. This website in just a few days topped my least favorite website list.
My first English essay of the semester was due a few days after the first class. So due to the rush I knew that I would not have enough time to properly revise the essay. So I did what most lazy college students would do. I opened a google.com tab and searched up, “Free grammar checkers” and a list of about seven or eight potential websites popped up. Grammarly.com was the first link on the page. Naturally this caused my curiosity to peak and I wanted to try it out. At first glance the front page seems very short since the text box takes up 60 percent of it along the top it boasts being, “The World’s Best Grammar Checker”. However, if the browser starts to scroll down then there is a list of reasons that you should trust Grammarly.com. As well as seeing different companies that endorses it. The businesses that endorse it aren’t really something you would see on a serviceable website. McAfee endorses it, which is normally used for downloading something since it deters phishing, and other online dangers. As I got closer to the end of the page I kept seeing “Try Grammarly Now!” This would normally raise flags since most legit businesses don’t need to repeat themselves over and over.
Well I decided to click the very last button. I was surprised that instead of taking me to a different page of the website the link took me right back to the top of the homepage. So with what little faith I had left, I inserted my essay into the text box. It took around two minutes to read my essay. I took this as a sign that it was doing a quality job. The page refreshed and I was hit with eleven grammar issues, six punctuation issues, four style and word choice issues, and a plagiarism warning. The only thing that came back all clear was the section for contextual spelling. The hope that I once had for a quality job was thrown out a window. I thought long and hard about how I could plagiarize an opinion based paper that had no research involved with it. I figured that since it advertised as a free service I would be able to see the errors that I made and hopefully receive feedback that would help me edit it. Well I was wrong about it being free; however, right after you get your results a “free” seven-day trial is available.
I decided that receiving feedback right away is worth signing up. Right after all the details were filled in, I was hit by a payment selection screen. The website wouldn’t let me use the trial until I paid for a month. The month costs 30.00, 60.00 gets you four months, and 140.00 gets a year. I was going to be charged 30 dollars a month for something that accused me of plagiarizing. I closed out thinking that it would be the end of Grammarly. I didn’t count on the endless supply of emails that I am now receiving from them. All of them end with, “To begin your free 7-day trial of Grammarly, complete your registration here.” Even when I go onto websites like YouTube, I am bombarded with ads for Grammarly.
With all this said the product was advertised as free, and the product was anything but. The product wasted time and effort. The worst part is that anywhere I look online I see advertisements for Gramamrly.com. There is a silver lining; however, I learned to look at all the alternatives before deciding on one product. I found a few other sites that give feedback for grammar and spelling all for free! Now I normally will go to both Paperrater.com and Grammarbase.com for help with my essays since both are free and actually work well.

ec56
12/3/12

Somehow Grammarly seemed to work fine on my Mac when I was testing out the free service. As soon as I paid I was unable to access the edit screen after log in, regardless of which browser I tried.
It's also shady that they do not tell you up front that the Word plug in does not work on Macs, which makes this service pretty worthless.

eddiel9
8/25/12

I cancelled my subscription within the free trial period. They then proceeded to charge my account anyway. Now my account is overdrawn and I have to pay the fees. Thanks Grammarly...now I will be walking to and from work. No money for gas this week.

mrn1
6/30/12

I guess many other people have done a similar test, but I tried throwing some classic text at grammarly.com to find what they thought of it.

The results:
George Orwell: 1984 - Grammarly gave it 56%.
John Steinbeck: The Grapes of Wrath: 59%
JRR Tolkein: Lord of the Rings: 68%
A. Lincoln: The Gettysburg Address: 12% with 22 critical writing issues.

I wonder whose writing would earn 100%... Oprah's maybe?

The Lovely Samantha

veronicai1
7/29/11

As many others have announced, this website steals your information and then refuses to contact you when you have a complaint. Every phone number is an answering machine. Check with BBB and they will show how many complaints that grammarly has gotten. Unfortunatly, I was not one to look this up and have had trouble ever since.

dans10
10/4/10

Avoid using this site. The free 7 day trial is a scam to get your credit card information. Once the have it, they lose all knowledge of you or your account so you are unable to log onto the site to use their service (beyond the initial sign up) or cancel your account before your credit card is charged. "Customer service" is via email only and they will play dumb and be as unhelpful as they can, if you even get a reply, so they can stall long enough to charge your card. Absolute scam!

11 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Grammarly staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question