US Government's NSF

San Francisco, CA 94105

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

With 62 million books currently in their library database, this is a site to visit if you can't actually afford a book. (in 32 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

my teacher want me to submit my book review on your site. where do i submit it.

Sarah McCoy has successfully blended history and present day in an engaging and absorbing story of two women dealing with love and family; conflict and war. She builds a foundation for an emotional and heartwarming conclusion. A very good read.

Loved the book the author has a great gift. I loved the story about her faith and the ability to forgive which is not easy to do. The book takes place in south which is where I live. It held my interest well, I read it in 2 nights. I hope to purchase some as gifts.

This site helps manage, catalog, and rate books. You can organize them by ones you have read, want to read, own, and so on. They also offer giveaways of books not yet released that authors will give for free in addition for an honest rating (which isn't required just encouraged). TRY THE GIVEAWAYS. So far, in the past year i have won almost 40 books (want proof, I would be happy to show you my many emails and exploding bookshelf haha!). To those saying this site only reviews top books and publishers, that is false. The site itself reviews nothing, its the users that review. And thanks to programs like the new book giveaways, obscure books are getting ratings! I also love that authors themselves use this site and often interact with readers!

Love the characters and story line. Easy read.

Next to this may be the best site on the internet. Here you can keep track of what you read and write reviews about your favorite (or not so favorite) books. It also logs stats about your past reading history. I always come here when I want to find interesting books and it never disappoints me. Highly recommended for keeping a book journal.

I recently purchased and read Seraphympire Garduans of the Gateway by Renee Spyrou. This was an awesome read, i thoroughly enjoyed the book especially if you like Vampires and super natural fantasy but this book has a brilliant twist which makes it unique.. I highly recommend it.

I must say i love this particular website. Great neighborhood associated with visitors putting up thoughtful feedback. Looking at the buying price of books these days, it is worth purchasing a book from this site. In addition, you receive announcement and also ads through experts or maybe submitting brands you are interested in.

The site doesn't function well, so expect trouble. I had a link take me to the wrong location on the site. Customer support is just PR without any technical help for site problems. Customer support doesn't even know you are registered and have a book on their site. The free giveaway program is determined by them and not you. So, its a bias program. But, the worse is that there are many fake reviews according to many other reviewers.

"HONOR AND POLYGAMY" a novel by Omar Farhad.

A fascinating look at an alien culture told in the form of a gripping novel. It is told with a depth of understanding only possible by someone with intimate knowledge of the society, it's customs and mores. This first work by the author gives promise of many exciting future works. It is a quick read and highly recommended.

It's clearly best/biggest of type, hence i was highly motivated. That didn't last long. It's a very typical kind of website: looks slick but has a clunky interface and worse 'help'. I waded through its ratings process [rate 20 books or die!], when i didn't need GR recommendations.
I was there to meet people. I gathered the only way to do that is to join a "discussion group". But i couldn't even find any, much less join one. I'm tired of fighting interfaces [of apps too] so i gave up. I should've had more patience? Funny, that's what they all say.

I recommend book likes over goodreads. Here is why. If I'm looking for chapter books for my 5-7 year old, what your looking for is a book that's around 4,000 to 16,000 words. Most of the books tagged on the website as chapter books, largely tend to fall under middle grade reading.

While if your kid is a advanced reader, this may not be disastrous, this can hurt the motivation to read for kids that are not ready for books that are not chapter books yet. Why is this going on? It's because users (that's non-inhouse readers) get to give tags of the books.

A casual reader is not going to be able to tell the difference between an 80 page book with 4,000 words. And a middle grade that's also 80 pages buy around 20,000 words. They'll put just about anything that's a short book in the category of chapter books, simply because it's short.

That's aside from the review madness.

I like this site. Quotes are well structured. You can always find quote in category you are interested and also read about author of quotes. If you like books and quotes - this place is for you.

I don't find any usefulness on this website, I was searching for free books download, i found this website and it asked me to rate the book before downloading any book, it asked me to rate around 20, i did it still i was not able to download. Finally i thought i wasted a lot of time rating and going into this website. i dont recommend it

this site reviews ONLY big publisher books. . BORING!

This is my number one "go to" app on my iPad. I read a ton of books and I love to share my thoughts on each book with others. This site allows me to do so! I also love reading others reviews before purchasing my next ebook.
This site is tons of fun, you also get to update with comments or page number your on and share it with others as well. I love to go back on a book I've ad and read my updates on how I was feeling throughout the book so ill know if I want to re read it or not!

Permits authors to network and swap reviews, falsely inflating the perceived value of their work. Scam all the way. The site is set up to encourage scams like this, and they ban anyone who protests. Keeping unscrupulous authors happy is Goodreads' bread-and-butter. I like keeping track of my books there and sharing my opinion, but I would never buy a book based on the reviews I read there, and I stay far, far away if something was self-published. Too bad the scammers ruin it for everyone else!

I've been a member for a while. They WILL send you unwanted and unsolicited emails. For example advertising events even after you unsubscribe 4x from ALL emails. I just got one that says

You are receiving this message because you've read a book by Anne Rice. We have some exciting news for you!

Um. Yeah and I rated that book I read 1 star. They don't care what your opinion of a writer is. They just push them on you.

My recommendations were broken for a year and a half. They fixed them the week before they sold the site to Amazon.

Facts on books are often wrong. Help is not helpful. It's a fairly bad site that Amazon bought when Goodreads was looking into selling books. Expect it to get swallowed at some point by Amazon who didn't want it for the community but was preventing competition..

Do NOT trust reviews on Goodreads. Between author shills, troll wars and the staff deleting good reviews for books by authors that are attacked by their pet trolls, there is no credibility in a large number of the so called reviews. They do not require a 'reviewer' to read a book to review it.

Approach with caution, and depend on reading samples as the review section has become like a high school in bad neighborhood.

Goodreads is the WORST place for authors to promote their books. It is a site that is VERY hostile to authors. There is a gang of roaming trolls that plague the site and attack them. I recommend staying far away from Goodreads and using other online tools for book promotion and social networking.

If you are an author, I would not suggest listing your book on this site. Once it is listed, you can never sever the link. The rules of this site are not enforced by the site managers. It is easy to become a target and become a magnet for inappropriate shelving and reviews. As a library source for a reader, it is easy to use, but it is not geared to be supportive of authors.

If you are careful, and know who to avoid, you can do some valuable networking on Goodreads, finding some great new books and meeting some great new friends. But you have to approach this site with extreme caution, because there is a small group of people, supported by a number of the employees and volunteer librarians on the site, who do their best to run off and destroy the careers of any Indie authors that come to their attention. Authors, take EXTREME care on this site. Readers, take many reviews with a grain of salt - a lot of them are fake. Usually it is easy enough to tell, but not always. If the site would more carefully enforce its Terms of Service regarding personal attacks on fellow Goodreads members and authors, it would make a huge difference; as it is, they seem to be rather selective about it.

goodreads hosts a gang of serial stalkers and bullies. They defend and protect these criminals. If an author is attacked and complains gooreads bans them. The author guidelines threatens authors that if they defend them self against vicious personal attack their reputation will be destroyed.
Goodreads also thinks if your book shows up on their site they own and refuse remove them. They steal intellectual property with some flimsy story about being a book catalog as an excuse. They refuse to honor DMCA take down orders and the wishes of the copyright holders. A corrupt site designed to persecute indie writers Avoid it like the plague.

Great site, I always check their lists before going to the bookstore or library. I particularly like the reviews and how they categorize new releases. It makes selecting a book so much easier.

I love this website! I can share opinions of what I'm reading and what I have read with people who have the same appreciation for these books as I do (the only people reading the reviews would be those who search for such reviews). It also works as a social networking site, so you can add friends who can see your activity on their feed. You can also add your favorite quotes, have discussions on the message board, follow your favorite authors, etc. I am subscribed to their Quote of the Day email, which I really enjoy.

perfect way to track what you have read, what you are currently reading, what page you have reached on current book as well as be introduced to other reads through the network. Everything organised on the screen. Easy navigation. A bookworm's heaven!

This service has opened many new and interesting books for me. I never taught that I could find a place such this where people share good stuff. This is wonderful website!

Being a book worm disycovering this site for me was like a new treasure. I recommend you check it out.

Thanks for creating that kind of service. I enjoy reading a lot and often it requires first to know what people say about the book. Thank God for finding good resource such this. It opens many thoughts about any interesting or upcoming book

This is one of the best book libraries on the planet!!!

I really enjoy this site. Good community of readers posting thoughtful comments that give you a good idea about whether to give a book a read or not. Given the price of books these days, it's worth a visit. You also get news and promos from authors or publishing labels you are interested in. I'm all for something that gets people interested in - and buying - books.

I've heard that publishing and/or PR companies send unsolicited ads trying to get you to try their authors but I haven't received any.

I am an avid user of this site and I love it!

I have found this to be a really good websites. You have a good group of people who actually still read books. I find most of the reviews pretty open and honest and people's opinions are not overly criticized if someone disagrees. It is a good, honest place to discuss books.

After reading reviews of Goodread on SiteJabber, I paid a visit to the website. It is indeed a very good website for book lovers. It is going to be my preference for books now.

I pick my books after reviewing them on this website. It helps me a lot as I am very specific about my books.

I like this website. It helps me pick the best of the books.

I just jumped on this site and loving it! This is a must to check out, I am very happy to have found it!

This is the premier site for book lovers. I use this site to get recommendations for books and to keep track of the books I've read. Usually, the book recommendations are right on, I've found so many books this way that I now read over and over again.

Amazing, I got what I was looking for. Awesome experience, I shared some of my favorite books with my friends too. I have suggested this website to them. I am sure that they will like it

Anyone who reads can benefit from this site. After reviewing a few titles you are given personalized recommendations for books to read. It is a social atmosphere where you can add friends from Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter and Friends of friends.

There are a couple of ads here and there, but none so bad as to take away from the quality of the site. Great place to explore literature!

[1] You enjoy reading
[2] You would like recommendations on good books to read
[3] Minimal ads

[1] You don't know how to read

i just like it.its sooo cool

I've been using Goodreads for a few months, I encouraged family members to join giving us a venue to see what each is reading and how we like it. Far better than discussing who is the family black sheep of the month.

:::singsongy voice::: loooove it!!!! OMGosh!! I can keep track of the books I've read, what I want to read, what I thought of it and it recommends books for me based on what I like.. ::sigh:: I'm in love.. lol.. a book worm like me loves to have her sorting easy. The only down-side? (and it's prolly cuz of my pc or maybe the site is uber-large) it takes a bit to load pages. Anyhoo, I give it 5 stars!

I've been reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer and decided to see what others might have to say about the book online. I came across in my search and found it to be a great resource. Good to see that other sitejabber reviewers have also found it to be valuable.

If you love books - you will love Goodreads. It is designed to let you see what your friends are reading - and their friends too. Great -safe social network with very intelligent people and an intelligent design too.

Now this is a fantastic site. Thoughtful people frequent this site and you can align yourself easily with people who have similar taste in books as you do. It's the best site I know of to get honest feedback about books that you might be interested in reading. And they don't have that awful competitive aura around them like Amazon does. Amazon will do a face off with "the most helpful" review for a positive review of a book VS "the most helpful" review for a negative review. Except they never highlight an actual completely negative review....cuz they want you to buy the they highlight a 3 star review.

GoodReads is just inhabited by better reviewers than Amazon because they aren't selling anything. However... they do give you a button to press if you read a review that you just cannot wait to order it...but they give you options of who currently has the book, which is particularly helpful if yu want to compare prices right then and there.

I would also say that GoodReads has the highest ratio of published authors making insightful comments about books than anywhere else I have been. No pretenders there. It's easy to make friends and then follow their likes and dislikes. Plus there is an option to copare books side by side which you have read with anyone on the site....and that is one of the features I like best.

All art is subjective...and what is a book if not a form of art. GoodReads is the best site for me for making informed decisions about what I want to read next.

So little time, so many great books! GoodReads makes it easier.

Now that I have the kindle I am always looking for reviews of new books to download and found this site has the best reviews and is not full of spammers. The secret is to follow reviewers who have the same taste as you. Think sitejabber but for books

what a find! It is like a virtual book club. I used to belong to a local book club but had to quit because I could not keep up with the reading and felt bad everyone read the book but me. This site is like a book club because you can discuss a book and finish it when you have time to finish it. For those of you who do not understand why you would want to discuss a book after reading it then this site probably is not for you.

2,963 helpful votes

With 62 million books currently in their library database, this is a site to visit if you can't actually afford a book. This'll keep you busy reading until you can. And if you're already a reader, you'll be stunned by the sheer volume of material here and the range of activities available.

The concept is simple: sign up (it's free) then fill a few virtual shelves with books you've read, or are reading, or want to read, or categorize them in other ways you find appropriate (my favorite just now has to be "overrated drivel"). The busy librarians will add any new books you've discovered to their ever-expanding lists, and you're free to review your books and read some of the other members' reviews too - sometimes there are literally thousands of reviews for just one book. Whew. If you've got a whole library at home, you can go right ahead and add the lot. But even if you've only got "Bill Gates: The Road Ahead" there's a niche for you too. Maybe not such a big one.

Obviously if books aren't your thing, and sadly it seems that less people read books as time goes by, then you might still find yourself drawn in by other peoples' reviews and inspired to go read a book yourself and see what the experience does for you. Even for non-members, the amount of data here is astonishing; one book I picked at random had been rated more than 65,000 times and had more than 4000 reviews.

There is the now-obligatory social networking element too, of course, with interest groups and the opportunity to see what your friends are reading and recommending and have them peer over your shoulder as well. It's a pleasant enough break from YouTube, viral videos, and the more popular visual entertainments that web 2.0 has to offer. You might even be tempted to grab a book and actually go offline for a while. Scary, huh?

Like your personal book club - I really like this site. It's been a great way to see what my friend's are reading and get some insight into a book before I purchase it. So far, it's helped me make smarter purchase choices, and I haven't regretted the books I've bought after reading the reviews on goodreads. Plus, you can add friends and read their reviews, so if you trust their taste, it helps you out too. You can also search for reviews of books that you may be considering, or search by genre.

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Goodreads staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the Goodreads staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?