US Government's NSF

Detailed Rating Summary

▼ Sort by: recent

marsham2
10/1/14

I agree entirely with Chris O. review of GOG. Cheap, reliable, DRM free and a really great community and customer support to boot. I highly recommend them.

One word of caution, the reviews on the site often tend to rate games much more highly than they deserve, so take that with a grain of salt.

jackc57
3/31/14

Good website. There's a lot of old but cool games you can buy and play on.

emmaj10
3/26/14

I love this site, it's easy to use and I found a lot of games I haven't played for a looong time! Very fun and the games are at the right price. I'm really glad to have found this site. ^^

chancep3
11/2/13

Been wanting to buy something off GOG for a few years and finally a Dungeon Keeper 2 promo came along where it was like $2.50. I couldn't pass it up. Well not only did the site actually do what it was supposed to, but the game was fully patched AND actually plays properly!!!! And on top of that I got Witcher for free which I wasn't expecting and didn't even know about that promo. Maybe my expectations are really low and I'm used to things never, ever working, but GOG did come through seamlessly.

So... obviously you need Steam due to some games ONLY being on Steam (and some content being workshop-only also), but whenever possible get your stuff DRM-free from GOG.

dannys22
10/26/13

1 of the best site i found really enjoy with it! love!

nealb22
9/9/13

FANTASTIC SITE! Great bargains on great games, always doing special deals, and entirely trustworthy. I've bought loads of games from them with not a single problem so far.

Can't recommend GOG enough.

harolds26
6/18/13

Love the site. Good deals on games, delivery is quick. Never had an issue with them.

michaelp69
Veteran Reviewer
5/3/13

I agree with Chris O. Ive bought Ultima 4,5,6,7, Carmageddon, Master of orion 1,2 wing commander 4, privateer, and some others . All works like they should. Had to download glide drivers for carmageddon on different web site for the 3dfx fix. Other than that perfection!! they give you a handful of free games for signing up at no cost. (this way you can see for yourself how well it works at no cost.)

marleya2
4/3/13

Great website for your old school games. Every game comes with it's own installer from GOG that works on all operating systems. Great prices and special deals are always running for many different games. I recommend this to anyone who is looking for classic games of any kind.

marsc
Apprentice Reviewer
8/14/10

chriso1
EXPERT
5/2/10

If you keep DOS mouse drivers on a floppy, remember the correct IRQ for a Soundblaster 16, and instinctively reach for the soundcard instead of the USB socket when you plug in a joystick, this is likely to be right up your street. And If the mere whisper of "3D Realms" brings a wistful tear to your eye, you'll be at home here. Because GOG stands for Good Old Games, and it's achieved (more or less) the classic PC gamer's equivalent of discovering the Holy Grail: making a whole swathe of the best classic DOS and Windows95/98 games run in Windows XP or Vista. No more emulations, no more DOSBox, and no need to keep a creaky old 386 machine in the garage for the purpose.

If you have absolutely no idea what any of that meant, this is not for you. But for those of us who blasted our way through Duke Nukem 3D or drove across the desert in Interstate76, and for anyone who wants to discover playability that doesn't depend on 21st century graphics, GOG has put together a collection of games which some of us never expected to see again and which newcomers to early PC gaming should find a refreshing change.

Amazingly, the games are also available at classic prices too, with most being in the $5.99 to $9.99 range. And as GOG has acquired international licences, they're able to supply the games for download at the same price to anyone, anywhere, legally. And there's more, in the form of free manuals, or strategy guides, wallpapers and other free goodies to be downloaded after you've purchased a game.

GOG games are "DRM-free", meaning that there is no copy protection involved. Once you own a copy, you are free to load it up on as many computers as you like, as often as you like. And if you run into troubles, there's an active community ready to help.

So that's the PR, and it seems from reading customer experiences that while it's broadly true, not every game runs as smoothly as intended. I took a look at the reviews of Interstate'76, a 1998 game which I recall fairly fondly . For five or six bucks, or the equivalent, it would be fun to see it again. But apparently this version, though claimed to run on XP, is still terribly buggy and crash-prone and there are some unhappy purchasers out there. I gather at least some of the issues are fixable - anyone who remembers Glide and the Voodoo Banshee card will know that back in the day, compatibility with your video card was by no means guaranteed and sometimes you had to go hunt for drivers. This appears to still be the case, at least with this game, which seems to have shipped with the Glide files missing. But it's the exception rather than the rule, as far as I can see, because reviews for the random choice of other games I looked at were much more favorable. I guess the later games may be easier to 'port' to XP, and as they are supplied fully pre-patched to the latest versions, any bugs inherent in the originals should be long gone. Still, check the reviews before buying, as you would do anywhere else.

The team behind the site has a nice sense of humor, as evidenced by this comment about being in "beta":

"As with every self-respecting website in the Web 2.0 era, we figure we have to keep the site in beta for at least a year before we can launch it. So be warned: if you don't sign up quickly and send us your feedback ASAP, we might think of launching it earlier."

Classic gaming (OK, playing old games) isn't going to be for everyone. I doubt anyone who's shelled out the big bucks for a top-of-the-line gaming machine is planning on running any DOS games, but maybe this will encourage them to experiment. After all, you can buy as many as ten of these games for the price of one modern game, and some of them are good enough to be fondly remembered and replayed ten or twelve years on. I wonder how many of this year's games we will be able to say that about?