US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

sanjeevs

They send a notification every year just to remind me, it time to file your next tax return. (in 12 reviews)

stephanies66

I also paid this company to file my state return instead of going straight to the state website like I normally did. (in 6 reviews)

georgem79

We have used this site for approximately 8 years now. (in 4 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

lizg22
4/27/16

Its kind of strange that I filed my ex husbands tax return with turbo tax and his was a 1040A his was accepted and has already gotten his refund. I filed mine the same day with free tax usa and mine was a simple 1040 and it is still processing. Just kind of makes me wonder! Can't call the IRS for 21 days which sucks. Is it 21 days from the date you filed or 21 business days?

sunbursts
4/13/16

Like many people here, I was a devoted TaxAct customer. How nice to have them let me go through the ENTIRE process, only to then say, "oh, and surprise, since you're a small business, you'll now need to pay us $39.95 to process your Federal Return! Ha Ha! ". I then went to Turbo who also says the Federal is free -- exact same rotten trick and shame on these companies. I was then going to go through the agony of doing the paperwork myself and mailing in a check to the IRS. I did one last desperation search and saw Freetaxusa.com and then came here to read the reviews. The only folks who were displeased were the ones who had not received their REFUNDS as fast as they'd like to have them. As the company keeps trying to tell people -- it's the IRS who dictates when the money is released, not Freetaxusa. Anyway, long story short: I was expecting a bare bones sort of software system when I did my Federal with them -- but it's not, it's top notch and it walks you through the steps JUST LIKE the crooks at the top companies USED to do. I just filed my Federal this morning and it went like a breeze. They also show you the companies who will do the electronic payment with your cc -- and I did. It's done. I wanted to come back and do this review because of the great people who took the time to do THEIRS and they encouraged me to try it. A big thank you to the folks who reviewed the site here, and thank you Freetaxusa, because your calculation system saved me $130. I know where to go next year.

stevep109
4/13/16

I've been using them for 8 years and have never had a problem. They actually were more accurate then when I went to an H & R Block. The comments on here are so strange.

jonathanh63
3/30/16

I've been using FreeTaxUSA for 4 years now and love how easy and streamlined they've made the process. Prompt screens are clear and concise. If I'm not understanding something they have info bubbles on each item to give a little more background information.

Unfortunately, FreeTaxUSA is being given negative reviews based on the time it's taking people to get their refunds, which has nothing to do with them! So please people, pay attention to the reason why your return has not come yet. This service is just the mailman delivering your package to the IRS. Well, your package was delivered, so why are you getting mad at the mailman after he did his job? Simplified analogy, but you get my point.

bernadettef2
3/25/16

yes! you are refusing to recognize or help me even though I paid extra for assistance. I cannot believe what a bad service you are. I am still waiting for my tax refund or even for SOME INFORMATION as to what the status is! The Facebook rep for your company knew nothing and when I try to access your main site, you make it so complicated i cannot get through. You should not be allowed to have such a service and cheat and lie to your customers

tinac55
3/24/16

I haven't received my refund its been almost a month

debbiew59
3/17/16

I filed taxes in February and I am still waiting on my Federal return, still in processing status. It has been a month, don't understand the issue, they accepted and now I am still waiting.

roberto371
3/16/16

my taxes say I was accepted from irs but now it's saying waiting to be processed, what do I do???? some one please help me it's horrible

lashekar
3/14/16

Filed my taxes and I haven't received my return yet it has been a month and a half I'm very upset

leighannn
3/11/16

This year is my first time using FreeTaxUSA. I thought it was fantastic. Easy to use...and free for federal even with business income.

micheler25
3/10/16

Fairly easy to follow, good directions

syrenaw
3/4/16

When do people typically receive their federal tax return when they've chosen direct deposit? It's not even that much only like $100, why does it take so damn long?

antonioa30
3/2/16

This was my first year using free tax USA, Advil not entirely disappointed. The walkthrough was simple and my federal return got to my door quickly. However, as of today i have been waiting two weeks for my state return. I understand that the website is not responsible for how long the IRS takes to deliver the return. Though i cannot help but but worry that a calculation went wrong and i will be fined. If possible i will update this review in the future.

samm587
2/28/16

I just filed my 2012 return with FreeTaxUSA and was just informed that i cannot efile 2012 tax return. Also i was just informed that i will get no refund. Was i charged the $12.95 for nothing? The irs is holding my 2015 refund due to not filing for 2012. As this is an urgent situation, any information will be appreciated.

lawrencem34
2/26/16

This year is my 10th year using FreeTaxUSA. I got an on line coupon code for 10% off so I paid only $11.66 for my Federal and VA State returns to be prepared and efiled. I had my Virginia tax refund directly deposited into my checking account after only two and a half days. In the past I have gotten the Federal refunds in 7 to 10 days. Best of all, I am confident that were I to be audited I would come out clean. Because I have my old returns on file the soft ware automatically did a carry over stock loss from a previous year which saved me a pile this year. Works for me. I have always found the site soft ware user friendly.

annec60
2/22/16

I met the criteria for a free file for federal which I did. They said state was 12.95. After I completed all the required information including my credit card info, they informed me that my state wouldn't accept my return and would have to file a paper copy. They went ahead and charged my credit card for the 12.95 anyway. Thanks for nothing. Next year I am going back to filing paper taxes. It gets worse every year. This is the worse e-filing company yet and should NOT be recommended on the IRS web site.

keishag8
2/21/16

I have used thus site for the last 4 years and u have never had an issue I submit it gets accepted and u get my money normally within 7 to 8 days and its true once it is accepted by the IRS it up to them to pay you not the site you can have this issue with any if the sites ultimately the IRS IS IN CONTROL OF YOUR RETURN NOT THE SITE. I LOVE TGE SITE I ALSI DI OTHERS TAXES ON TGE SITE TGEY HAVE NIT HAD ANY ISSUES EITHER.

tiarab4
2/19/16

Freetax claims its up to the IRS once the return has been accepted: but I highly disagree because if that was the case ; there are TURBO TAX users who has gotten their money within 4 days and they're linked to the IRS as well. So this site is complete bull$#*!. I filed feb 4rth we are two weeks later & I haven't gotten my money back YET. I'm pissed I normally do h&r block & ive neverrrrr had an issue. But me trusting someone who uses this site frequently. I will never NEVER use freetax again. Turbo tax for me next year.

- sincerely, a pissed off woman

danield90
2/19/16

has anyone received their returns yet??? see alot of people talking about how long its taking

sj258
2/19/16

I have used this site for 3 year with no problems. This year I ca file my state taxes it keep saying credit card decline on all 10 of my cards. I have entered all the info correct & all card have cash on them. I can't file my Louisiana state with another software due to the federal was filed with freetaxusa. Freetaxusa customer service haven't tried to resolve this issue with their software so many people are having the same problem it needs to be repairs asap. Or tell us how to go about filing our state tax.

Tip for consumers: Don't use this site you will not be able to file your state tax with them. Taxact is a good site that allow you to make payments with no problem.

thomashiam
2/16/16

They $#*!ing.sucks and liar's talking about I had no account with them I just filed my taxes no more with them bad business.

laquitaj1
2/14/16

I filed for my tax return on the 29 or the 30 either way I'm still I'm still waiting for it to come. Here it is the middle of February and I'm still waiting. Easy was easy to do but I definitely will be using turbo tax next year. This matter have put things on hold for me.

courtj
2/12/16

How are you complaining freetaxusa is one of the best and if you have not got your money that on the irs, not freetaxusa idiots

tyh17
2/12/16

I'm pissed cause my taxes said refund sentinel the 10th but it's nothing in my account and it's the 12th.Where is my money?

mikes358
2/11/16

Over the years, I have used TaxAct until last year, 2015 filing, TaxAct charged me for filing federal tax return using its s/w. I don't mind paying but TaxAct did not forthright telling users that they have to pay until the end when they are ready to file, then they got hooked. This year TaxAct said upfront in fine print that only 1040EZ and 1040A are free.

I just finished filing my 2015 Fed. Tax Return with FreeTaxUSA and I noticed that the time for me to get it done about less than half of using TaxAct. At the end, when I am ready to file and to my surprise it's actually free not trying to hook me at the end. I file the 1040 with itemized deductions, Schedule D (capitial gains/losses), charities, Student Credit (8863).

It does require a little bit of tax knowledge to know what is the correct form to edit. But overall, it's very easy and a great tax s/w. I am the first time user and will use the FreeTaxUSA s/w again for my next year tax return. Highly recommended!!

Update - 02/19/2016, I received my Fed's refund back, e-filed on the 02/10/2016...without any hiccups.

gracem60
2/11/16

For years i always got my taxes on the first irs release date this year 2016 I filed January 18 it was accepted the 19 of January but I have still yet to be approve from the IRS it never have took them this long next Wednesday make the 21st day I been waiting for my tax refund . Why with this system it's taking them so long ? Even my husband fill with you guys he haven't even been approved by the irs , I just think you guys have been flag by fraudulent returns so irs is making the legit customer wait also

deangeloh
2/10/16

Been waiting going on 3 weeks in a few days do workers filed same day turbo tax got their stuff already I will never again use this

jenniferj81
2/8/16

Preparing my taxes with Freetax usa was easy, but it seems like anyone who used them for 2015 taxes, are waiting a lot longer to receive their refund from the IRS. I filed on January 19 2016, along with several of my coworkers and friends, and still have yet to get any refund, or accepted by the IRS. Rhe people that i recommended, also have not received anything yet, but anyone that used turbo tax or H&R block and even filed later than i did, have received their taxes. This is just crazy..

debbieb76
2/7/16

I have been using Free Tax USA since 2012. Would recommend them to anyone. Easy to navigate.

anac46
2/5/16

I've been using them for 3 years no and no problems. This year it's taking a bit longer and that's fine :-) hehe it happens!!! I tell all my friends about it. Will continue to use it!!! Super easy and they check to make sure there aren't errors as you go along. Highly recommended

anglear
1/27/16

I've used FreeTaxUSA for many years and never had a problem. I now work for one of the major tax prep companies filing other people's taxes for money, but I still used FreeTaxUSA to complete my personal tax return. It works great for the vast majority of people. But if you have a complex return or an unusual situation, you might want to hire a real person to file your taxes for you.

One year I worked a temporary job in the summer and the company erroneously withheld taxes for the wrong state. Using FreeTaxUSA I wasn't able to figure out how to file a nonresident return to West Virginia to get back the money erroneously paid to them. That was an unusual situation, and the software couldn't handle it. But other than that, it's always worked just fine. I don't mind paying $12.95 for the state return because it's still a lot cheaper than any of the commercial tax prep stores.

charliew33
1/27/16

Been filing 11 years and never had a problem. Started using free tax usa in 2014, that's when it seems like I started having problems. 2014 got code 1121, 2015 code 570. I have filed the same for 8 years and always have gotten return within 10 days, but now since 2014 I have been getting codes and it's taking alot longer.

katrinag6
1/26/16

I've had no issues. Its been about 5 or 6 years now. I use to give a way money using Jackson Hewitt. It matters when you are a single mother now I get ALL my money back. Simole user friendly its thorough and my information is still in the system for a smoother transition the next year.

terrim31
1/23/16

Last year I even won $300 in their giveaway contest. I love FreeTaxUSA and tell everyone I know about them. Easy to use, easy to access years later; never had any problem. I have no state tax, so yay for me, but I'm so glad I found this company through the IRS website. They don't hound me like TurboTax does with spam galore, and I find this site much easier to navigate as far as special circumstances. Thank you FreeTaxUSA!

johnm655
1/20/16

I sold my business. How and where do I enter the sales amount as income?

rebeccah47
1/13/16

I've been using them for years....never have a problem...highly recommend!!!

inzeh
12/22/15

These jokers charged me TWICE for the 12.95 and THEN a message popped up saying "The e-file system is unavailable!" There is no phone number for them so I had to call my bank to have them dispute BOTH charges.

The process is easy but a scammer can never be trusted. I'm not saying don't use them, but please check your bank account afterwards and if they charge you for something you didn't receive, dispute it!

debras54
11/5/15

I have used them all and this one not only is my favorite but the most intuitive software I have used. I switched a few years ago. It doesn't consist of endless pop up upgrade to $$$ every few min. It asks once if I want to upgrade to priority support. I didn't select it and continued on. It didn't keep popping up unlike the big filing companies always did. Also it doesn't cost more to fill out my Sch C or Rental income. Even with all my forms I still finish my return in under 30 min. The Customer Support people are helpful and I don't have to wait forever for an answer to my questions. I would suggest not racing through the screens as I did almost mess up once when filing because I was not reading the screen fully and missed selecting something. I would have had to amend my return had I submitted. Thankfully I caught my mistake before filing. So read each screen and you won't go wrong.

vivianc30
10/22/15

I have filed my taxes and my husband for years. Never a problem, but now the state is after me and my husband for 2012, 2013,2014. I enter what is on our W'2's and they calculate the rest including my state. Has anyone else had this problem? Were talking thousands of dollars.

adams156
10/7/15

I would give ZERO stars if it was an option. Filed a return in 2013, I now need access to the file but their system keeps kicking me out even though I have entered ALL the correct info. I have gone back and worth via e-mail and they STILL will not let me access MY information(I doubt their server was big enough, so they did a dump). They do not have a telephone number. This kind of activity doesn't seems legit and I am reporting them to the attorney general, BBB, and news outlets.,

susanjaea
9/16/15

I keep sending them emails and they can't telephone you. They are jerks. They don't help you when there is an error. They keep making more errors. I think this company is lame.

dorians10
5/28/15

Yes I can't gain access to the site from my home computers only my cellphone. Am I blocked from the site?? Doesn't make since been using this site for years an always received great service.

lindab124
4/23/15

We have had filing refused. I don't know if it is id theft. I had put my name first instead of my husband, so I amended form now I cannot log in. It asks questions I don't think was part of my profile. I have tried login in with my ss and then my husbands. I can't get anywhere. I can't log into the site.

I can't log in using where I lived at 12 and my #'s nor can my husband. I need someone to change the where we lived at 12. I am sure I was asked other questions too.

It keeps sending a temporary password but it will not take any of the information like SS or security questions. I would like to simply know if it was filed refused or what and get a refund if not

Tip for consumers: pray

jeaw
4/14/15

I completed my federal tax, but after I paid to have state taxes filed, an error pops up stating I can not efile...but it only happened after I paid. It seems that once they get your money, then you're off looking for stamps and envelope. It totally defeated the purpose. Forget calling, I couldn't even get through. Since they can't keep their end of the bargain, why don't they put your money back on your card, since you didn't get the service you were promised.

keithk25
4/10/15

Well everything seemed to be going smoothly but have an issue with my return and need some help, I paid extra for priority support only to find out that means that your issue will be dealt with by email with in 24 hours. I can see now this was a big mistake to even consider doing a tax return with an online company that provides absolutely no quick answer to even the simplest question by phone support. I will never use them again.

claudej5
4/1/15

Federal Taxes went fine. Wouldn't let me e-file State taxes until paying first (no prob there), After paying, it said there was an error on the W-2 (a box that should have a ZERO instead of being blank). Since I had already filed Federal, it wouldnt let me change that box! Said I would have to mail instead. Cust service refused to refund, saying I paid for the service they offered! So tell me all is good, pay them, then tell me there's a problem?!?! Scammed me outta 13 bucks. Went and e-filed on the state site for free..took 10 minutes. What a rip off...

virginiab9
4/1/15

I have used this site to do all my
family for 5 years but this year they would charge me sometimes twice for one return.

jeannieo1
2/27/15

Free Tax USA is great. I believe I've been using this for approx 10 years for myself as well as filing it for six other family members. I just helped my daughter with hers & I was so amazed that both State & Federal were accepted within 30 minutes. That was the 1st time ever that acceptance was received that quickly. Hers was not a simple situation, with many dependents as well deductions. Also within a week both State & Federal refunds were deposited. It is 14.95 or so for the state only. One still needs to learn about the process a bit & not just depend on the website to walk you through it. I have never used the deluxe edition which is only $5.95...that's a great price for those who don't have much experience with filing their own taxes.

johnw268
2/24/15

It says "File Free Federal Income Tax!" and under it says "State Income Tax Only $12.95!". So I fully intend to file a free federal tax and no state tax. But, after you finish typing in all the info from the W-2 forms and give them all your information for federal tax, they start asking questions about your federal tax. Then you go to support and THEN they inform you that you MUST file a state tax to file your "free" federal tax. They make no mention of this before you start inputting the data. They figure that you will just fork over the $12.95 in order to avoid going to a REAL e-file site and entering it all over again. Well I will be entering all the info again on another site, I refuse to pay them as this is false advertising. I will be reporting this to the IRS and Better Business Bureau and I encourage others to do the same thing.

jimg48
2/18/15

Turbo Tax 2014 is not what 2013 was. I have been reviewing complaints on the major services (?) prior to selecting this one (re: "turbo tax complaints" as search line). All of the problems of each are significant if you're the one in pain. Been there with turbo for 2012. Each company has huge numbers of returns processed with insignificant numbers of complaints online.

The type of complaints have taken me to select freetaxusa for 2014.

CT and Federal return e-filing can be confirmed and refund processing can be tracked online. You may not immediately see that success has been achieved as daily computer files need to be merged with the main files first. This prev took about two days.

CT maintains a wonderful telephone help service during the day in the boiler (type) room of their tax bldg. I do not believe there has ever been a wait time. US SERVICE PERSONNEL are encouraged to call so as to get all their credits.

Tell em Jim says Hi!

85 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the FreeTaxUSA staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
1 week ago
Add your answer
1 week ago
Add your answer
See more Q&A
See more Q&A
Questions? Get answers from the FreeTaxUSA staff and other customers.
FreeTaxUSA?