US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

arnoldd1

I found this site and thought it might be a good way to get feedback from other writers. (in 59 reviews)

adanl

So if you write a poem and share it on FanStory.com you will get feedback from other writers. (in 57 reviews)

janetm9

Members take the time to read the work and write thoughtful comments both plus and minus. (in 39 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

taylorm62
4/11/15

I heartily nominate FanStory as the most helpful website for writers. It truly delivers what it promises. Not only is it a forum in which your poetry, stories and essays are reviewed by other aspiring writers (I had 80 reviews of my latest poem!), but you can develop your skills by reading other members' works, as well. There are also contests to enter, daily, with generous payouts.

karens89
1/24/15

Like so many of the writers and reviewers here, I have found this writing community to be a great source of encouragement. The reviewers have exhibited honest and caring interest in helping me to improve my writing skills.

samt38
1/22/15

This is a great place to write and to express yourself through writing. It is also a good place for support and to learn how to become a better writer. The reviewers are terrific! Without these reviews, we cannot learn from our mistakes and improve. Fan story has a lot to offer. The feedback is just the start. The contests are fun. The daily challenges keep you active.

abelaf
1/20/15

Just in the short time I've been here, I've learned so much. I learn from every review - good or bad . You can always learn, always improve, and always get better. This site offers you that opportunity. I am just getting started as a writer and am finding it very helpful. There are experienced authors looking to give that help.

dorothys17
1/19/15

I am a "fan". If you enjoy writing poetry, stories or are working on a book this is an excellent site for you. I've always felt something deep within me to write. I was embarrassed to reveal it. Because of my experience here that has changed. I've overcome my fears. The feedback I have received has been very positive. There are things I need to work on and the reviewers (many published authors) have shown me where I can improve my writing.

zachm2
1/19/15

For me the best part of the site is the feedback I receive. It's often quite helpful. I tried other sites before finding this one and I found the reviews at other sites pretty useless (often one or two words). Here I get detailed help that is greatly appreciated. The contests (there are new ones every day) are fun. They challenge me to try new things (I never wrote poetry before I came here). I'm becoming a getter writer thanks to the experience I receive here.

sandys43
1/19/15

I just wanted to say that I think this site is wonderful. I have met so many truly talented and friendly people on here and the works they all share are terrific, especially the comments they all leave. The feedback I receive are often inspiring and supportive. I'm glad I joined. I recommend it to anyone that is interesting in sharing what they write.

jeffb102
1/13/15

A complete and total joke. I have to think that the ballot box was stuffed considering all the favorable reviews (C'mon, 5 stars that often??) As others have stated, it is not cost effective to belong to this site if you want constructive feedback....way too expensive.

By the way, I signed up -- and paid for -- for two years (as it was cheaper). When I reached my one year anniversary, Fanstory told me it was time to renew my membership. When I told them I had paid for two years (check their records) good old Tom basically told me to "prove it." Can you imagine that...they supposedly DON'T have the records of member transactions??? I think it was simply a ploy to get me to pay again, if I couldn't provide proof that I had indeed paid for two years. I was able to prove I had paid for the second year, which really didn't matter at that point because I told them what they could do with their con-game disguised as a writing site.

There are many sites far more worthy of your hard earned dollars (and they will require far less of them too). Try writing.com, scribophile, and others. Just stay away from Fanstory. Your best interests are the LAST thing on their collective little minds!

barryj13
1/13/15

I recommend Fanstory. I'm so glad I made the decision to join, for if I hadn't, I would have never experienced such friendship, encouragement and helpful criticism. There are some great authors on FanStory, and it has been pleasure to read their work. I have learned a lot from the feedback I received from them too!

kathr140
1/13/15

I just have to say that this site has really been a wonderful blessing to me. I've gotten some great feedback and found other writers to "talk" with. It's easy to use. The contests are challenging. I like that there are new contests every day. I am so thankful that I found it. I've been out of writing for a very long time and this site has motivated me.

bevc5
1/12/15

I have been a member of Fanstory for just over a year. I recommend it because by sharing my work here I have improved my writing. It's important to receive unbiased feedback and suggestions. Through both posting and reviewing the work of others, I've learned what works and what doesn't.

josephc54
1/12/15

I owe a lot to FanStory.com. FanStory.com made me a better writer. When I first joined this site I didn't fully understand how to write a good poem. However, through reviews I learned more about what poetry is all about and really worked hard to improve. Had it not been for FanStory.com and the wonderful people I have met on this site, I would have not have improved. I would have never been able to create something that a publication company would actually want to put into print.

anthonys77
12/22/14

I was a member of FanStory for 3 years and have now joined the All Poetry website.
I found FanStory to be filled with cronyism and vote buying. They repeat the same contests over and over again, and the same people keep winning all the time. I won 16 contests during my time at Fanstory, all of which were blind i.e no one knows whose poem is being displayed, but as soon as the poets names were displayed against the poems I did not receive one single vote in 3 years. Poems which came last in FanStory have won gold medals in All Poetry, which is free to join and all postings are free. They also have a far greater variety of contests to choose from.

amaret
11/18/14

I'm so glad I found Fanstory. When I discovered this site, I was looking for contests where I could enter my writing. This site offers all kinds of interesting contests every month. So I became a member, entered a few and won some too! But that's not all I found here. The writers that participate on this site are fantastic. I have received good feedback and support from so many reviewers that have given me confidence. Most importantly, I've met lots of wonderful people from all around the world and read some great stories and poems that I may never have heard if I hadn't joined this awesome site.

micheller37
10/15/14

I stumbled onto this site last April. I thought I would give it a try. I'm glad I did! It has helped me improve my writing. The talent of writers and poets on the site is absolutely amazing! I've learned of the different forms and type of poetry that you can write (usually because I was challenged in a contest). This is truly a great place to share with like-minded people and I've made some wonderful friends! Such sharing is also nice because we can each other in our prayers.

randyg14
9/2/14

If you write poetry, stories or are working on a book Fanstory is a terrific resource. You get feedback for everything you write. I'm working on a book and after I complete a chapter I can't wait to post it on fan story. My last chapter got 55 reviews! Many of the reviews offer suggestions I on how I can improve it. I'm also developing a fan base which I plan to tap into when I publish my book. Highly recommended!

jasonm107
8/11/14

I think Fanstory is a terrific website. I highly recommend it. You can enter writing contests and you can post your writing for feedback. The feedback has helped me. Reviewers read my work and provide suggestions on how it can improve. I also write poetry and enjoy sharing my poetry with others. What's great is everything you post gets feedback. I don't know how they do it but it's a great website for writers.

trs
7/17/14

Many published writers have used Fanstory. So I joined to see if the reviewers could help me. I'm glad I joined. I have met so many truly talented and wonderful people. There are so many writers that are willing to take the time to offer support when I post something. Since I joined I've become a fan of over 25 writers. I look forward to the notifications I receive when they post. It's great to post my writing and read the comments they all leave. They are encouraging, supportive and uplifting. This is a wonderful avenue for people to share their writing, to learn, and to grow.

brians98
4/21/14

I highly recommend Fanstory to anyone that is looking to share poetry, stories or that is working on a book. I joined several years ago when looking for a place to share my poems. I was very nervous about sharing them! What did I know about poetry? But I was very pleased with the response I received. It encouraged me to write more and I did. I am now a published author! I have the reviewers at Fanstory to thank for that.

mattj28
4/21/14

I recommend fanstory to anyone that is looking to share their writing and enter writing contests. The feedback I receive for my writing is very helpful. The reviewers really seem to be interested in helping me improve. The reviews are usually detailed and helpful. There are over 50 writing contests that you can enter every month. I like the contests not just because of the prizes but because it gives me new ideas of what to write about. Great site for writers or someone looking to become a better writer!

edwardb46
4/7/14

There are good writers and reviewers on the site. If, through the "fan" function, you build a community of your own with other writers who agree to seriously critique each others' work, it can be a good resource.

Other than that, the reviewing system encourages perfunctory and unhelpful reviews -- which you have to pay for. Here's why.

A decent review of an average story takes ten to twenty minutes. Each review awards, on average, a dollar in member bucks. So, a decent reviewer makes about four to five dollars an hour in member bucks.

In order to get your work reviewed, you have to pay at minimum $60 in member bucks, and often much more. So, back of the envelope, you need to do 60 reviews for a dollar each; you can do five of them an hour; so that's 60/5 = 12 hours of reviewing you need to do to pay for your own story to be reviewed.

That's clearly not practical.

So site members have a choice: Either churn out dozens of perfunctory and unhelpful reviews, or pay cash money, and lots of it, to get your own work (shoddily) reviewed. Doesn't sound like such a good deal now, does it?

I get that FanStory is a for-profit business, but in the balance between making money and serving writers, it clearly skews toward making money.

randys18
1/24/14

I recommend FanStory. FanStory provides such a needed service for writers. The feedback is so helpful. I was recently published and I feel certain I would not have come so far without the support of of the reviewers. It's so good to be able to get helpful feedback for everything I write. The community is wonderful.

chrism119
1/24/14

Before joining FanStory I looked at this site; it was an eye opener. I have to admit that I was tempted to join, but after reading all the negative reviews first I have come to the conclusion that it is just a money making mill for FanStory. I agree with the person who said that a writer should’t have to pay for his or her writing. Thinking you are a writer and being a writer are two different matters; one you pay the other pays you.

aidanz2
11/19/13

I just want to say how happy I am to have found this site. I've always enjoyed writing but at the same time had struggled with confidence and actually getting things finished. Since joining last month I have written (and finished!) 7 stories. The feedback I received from other writers on Fanstory has helped me. The site encourages you to write and share your writing. Reviewers on the site are wonderful about helping you. It's a great idea and it WORKS.

dannyj9
11/6/13

Fanstory is a site I highly recommend as a writer. If you enjoy writing you really must participate on this website. You get feedback for everything you write. So if you write a poem you can share it on Fanstory (and Fanstory will copyright it when you post it!) and you will get feedback for it. I have learned so much from the authors on this website. I enjoy the writing classes, the community, and the contests too.

tinar15
11/3/13

Fanstory has helped me become a much better and more confident writer. When I first joined Fanstory, I wrote but I had little confidence in what I was writing. I didn't know where to go to get honest feedback. After joining, the feedback I received from Fanstory was invaluable in turning me from a writer for my own pleasure into a published writer. Other authors took time out from their own work to comment on my writing, and my writing improved. Reviewers have commented that the stories I write seem to get better as I progress. For that I thank the reviewers. The feedback I received from reviewers, many of whom were published authors themselves, has helped me greatly.

marjoriej
11/1/13

Fanstory is fantastic. I highly recommend it. I found Fanstory.com on Facebook. I saw an advertisement and I clicked on it. I thought I'd try it and see how it worked. It was the best thing I ever did for my writing. After being on this website for just a few short months I have learned so much. I enjoy sharing my writing and learning from the feedback that more experienced writers offer. The reviews are kind and supportive (I was worried I would get crushed). Everyone is so supportive. It's an amazing community of writers.

ryanc29
10/31/13

I enjoy sharing what I write on fanstory. I'm amazed at how posting my work here has improved my writing. It's great to receive unbiased feedback, corrections and suggestion from published authors. I've made some great friendships along the way as well. Through both posting and reviewing the work of others, I've learned what works and what doesn't.

karls29
10/30/13

Three years ago I joined Fanstory. Every writer that reviewed my writing offered me useful help in their critics, and I learned from it. The benefits of being in a community are amazing. I learned so much. Mostly I learned of humility and acceptance. I want say to Fanstory, "Thank you".

jerryc37
10/30/13

The feedback I receive at is excellent. It's so nice to see how well my writing is doing in every category. Your ranking system is fantastic! Each day I can see how I stand on the ranking of writers. The review system is great. It encourages me to write reviews, allowing to understand better others work and, eventually - mine. I know I have a lot to improve and I found here quite a few writers willing to help me. Which never happened before on any other site. I can see from one glimpse everything I need, there is always so much to explore and I have never been bored being on Fanstory.

I learned on Fanstory that feedback is always required for improving quality. But more than that, I understood that the answers to the feedback also matter. And this was an important lesson for me. Thank you very much for everything! I will give FanStory.com five stars anytime.

justint21
10/30/13

I read recently that Fanstory can be a teacher, a mentor and a motivator. I agree! It is a teacher because you get reviews for everything you write. These reviews often point out areas where you can improve your writing. There are published authors looking for writers to mentor. And it's very nice to get immediate feedback for something you write. The motivation part comes in play by being part of a community writers.

Fanstory provides an outlet for the self-doubting writer, an outlet that keeps you anonymous (if you want) so you can have the courage to post your writing. And don't worry about sharing your writing online. Your can copyright your writing at the time you post it.

ephraimc13
10/30/13

the site is run by a megalomaniac and, unless you're ga-ga, wealthy or have oodles of time to spare (mayhaps doing porridge) or all three, is to be avoided!
referring to a post by Aaron F earlier in this thread, regarding 'eats, shoots and leaves', i was banned for two days for bringing this blatant plagiarism to the attention of the aforementioned megalomaniac, Tom Ens, and, as Indie S. said in a previous post, the little hitlerite makes the rules as he goes along, wringing his hands all the way to the bank. it is obvious to an amoeba's braincell he has no interest in poetry and writing. he's a moneygrabbing egoist. but, if you simply want a good ego trip and have the money but no talent, then, go for it!
mind, having now dredged several writing sites, they're all pretty much the same, and should be avoided if you wish to improve as a writer.
instead, why not send me £20! it'll save you lots of money and you'll be able to write like what i do and be as good as i do in know thyme a tall! whoop-whoop!

indies
10/30/13

Fanstory is fine if you keep your mouth shut regarding sexual predators and contest cheats soliciting votes. When I tried to bring this to the attention of the site owner Tom Ens, I was treated with contempt, had my work consigned to the fanstorian crematorium and my account suspended numerous times. He reactivated my account after supportive poems from other members. Today he finally deactivated my account permanently because I had once again written a cryptic poem regarding a cheat who had procured votes and won the month of the poetry contest. The contest cheat identified himself in a review of an open letter to Tom Ens from another fanstorian poet who had written a letter in my defence,. The result was; her account 'temporarily' suspended and as I have already said, mine being deactivated permanently. The ratings system is a con. All you have to do is look at the poor quality of poets in the top 10. In particular - Mrs Happy at no 7 and Righteous Riter at no 4. Righteous Riter posts homophobic posts, such as The Writing on The Wall and shows no poetic skill. Despite protest from a 'minority', Tom Ens refused to condemn the post, Sadly, the majority supported his homosexual rant. He recently wrote another purporting to be Jesus Christ himself! Barely one objection out of over 100 reviews. There are many members on this site who are genuinely lovely people, have integrity and are talented writers, but they are not given the recognition they deserve. When disgusting sexually offensive remarks were made by one, Tom Ens refused to suspend this member's account. He is one who purports to be a Rabbi, but is not even Jewish. Tom Ens simply deleted his offensive remarks, although I had asked them to stand so others could be warned. The owner of this site has two years membership paid by me, but of course will not refund my money. He makes the rules up as he goes along and has his favourites, i.e., the members who pay the most money to promote their inadequate works. BE WARY!

ryanj11
9/7/13

I recommend fanstory because I have learned so much from the other members. I joined last year. I posted my first poem and have to admit I was very nervous! But the feedback was wonderful. People really were interested in helping me improve. I enjoy sharing my poetry for the feedback that I receive. The contests are fun too! I have won a few and that is always a good feeling! There are new contests every day.

donalda16
7/20/13

Fanstory is a great writing site that has helped me greatly. My writing skills and dream of publication has come true thanks to Fanstory. The friendly and competitive writing community has become a place I visit daily in my pursuit to become a better writer. My online family and has fostered deep friendships. The reviews from published writers has helped me grow as a writer and lead to the publication of my first book.

brianl28
7/20/13

I'd like to express my thanks to Fanstory for all that I've learned in the 3 years. I highly recommend Fanstory to anyone that is looking to improve their writing skills. Since joining I have found that I am much more serious about writing. I attribute that to the reviewers on Fanstory that are helping me improve. Since joining I have been improving. There are many excellent writers and reviewers that are available to help writers improve.

vincek7
7/20/13

Fanstory is a website where you can get feedback for your stories and poetry. Other writers read your writing and give you feedback on what you can do to improve it. There are also (many) writing contests with cash prizes. It is a popular writing site and is also a writing community. I have been a member for about one year now. I enjoy it greatly.

bruceb43
7/18/13

I have been on Fan Story for only six weeks and love it. It is a great way to express yourself and improves skills. As for the negative reviews, member can either be reviews either by purchasing member dollars or earn them by doing reviews. Like life it is full of choices. It is not a "magic pill" to a Pulitzer. It is what it claims to be. As for all member's being older, untrue. One thing I admire about it is that it is an artistic forum where people of all ages can participate. If you try it and do not like it - go away and do your own thing.

Fan Story is everything it says it is - nothing more - nothing less.

randyv3
7/13/13

Fanstory provides a place for a writer to share their writing anonymously for critique. You share your writing and have it reviewed. Other writers, many of great ability, read your writing and offer advice. The site has a large number of poets and novelist. That includes a surprising number of published authors.

FanStory can teach and also be a tool to get motivated. I have met some fantastic writers and look forward to their feedback. I have received over 100 reviews on poetry I shared at Fanstory. I have over 30 fans. This has opened doors for me - doors that would be closed without Fanstory.

chasea5
7/13/13

For poets and writers of stories or books, I think Fanstory is a must. This website is a place for writers to help each other improve. It is very useful to get feedback and, yes, encouragement from other authors. I found found that writer's with more experience are ineresting in helping me. Joining Fanstory, was the best thing I could have done for my writing career. I am now looking at getting published while before I was struggling to get motivated.

karenh24
7/13/13

I just want to share how glad I am that I found Fanstory. It has helped me greatly. I've always wanted to write, but have always struggled finishing what I started. The feedback that I have received has helped my writing improve. I have fans since I have started that provide me the motivation to continue my book and finish my book chapters Yes, I actually finished them and received good feedback. This has boosted my confidence. My writing has improved too. Fanstory is a fantastic website that helps writers because of a community atmosphere of writers helping writers.

joannab3
7/13/13

I enjoy FanStory. It provides poets, short story writers and writers of novels a place to get feedback for what they write. I find the site to be very easy to use. The support staff very helpful and friendly. It's easy to understand how to post your work and get feedback. I enjoy the daily writing prompt challenges. Each day they challenge me to write something different. The people that participate are primarily adult writers that write for enjoyment. Some are looking to be published (and many have). The site does a great job of helping author's improve. Try it - you won't be disappointed.

schulangc
7/12/13

FanStory is a large and popular writing site. At Fanstory you can share your poetry or stories with other writers. It's sort of the Facebook of the writing world. But with many more features geared towards the more professional minded writer. You can also enter writing contests with cash prizes. You also get an online profile that you can use to connect with other writers, publishers, and individuals. I know Fanstory has a lot of writers that have gone on to be published traditionally through connections made not his site.

brucek14
7/12/13

I love writing. Sharing my writing with friends and family was not something I felt comfortable doing. FanStory gave me the opportunity to create a pen name, share my writing with strangers, and get honest feedback. I have found the feedback very helpful. Sometimes reviewers are a little too brief. But generally I find that the reviewers are professional, courteous, and often very helpful. They generally seem interested in providing me with help and give me thoughtful feedback. It's a very valuable tool for any writer to have. And it's available on the internet. Highly recommended.

martyg5
7/12/13

I recommend this webiste. Fanstory is hypnotizing. I find myself obsessed as I spend my free time, even late at night, reviewing poems and stories. I've never read so many creative people in my life. I enjoy reviewing greatly. And what is nice is in return, I get feedback. The more time you spend on Fanstory the more you get out of it. It's wonderful to write a poem and get 50+ readers that will tell you what they think of it. It's a unique experience. I highly recommend this website. What a wonderful group of people.

janetf6
7/12/13

I just LOVE Fan Story. The website has really boosted my self-esteem, my pride, and joy. I have learned how to become a better writer by reviewing the writings of my fellow poets. Joining contests, pulls out my gift of writing from inside me, and lets me express my joys and pain. FanStory is such a beautiful place. I finally get to meet people who think like me, literary people who relate to me, understand me, and are poets like me. It has helped me improve greatly.

jordanm39
7/5/13

I have come away feeling incredibly disillusioned with this website, and would warn anybody who thinks that they will 'improve' their writing and meet serious, professional people on this website to enrol in a writing course at an institute or university instead. I was primarily attracted to this website for its writing contests and the hope of encountering some good writing, but soon discovered its ugly side. Although the site claims that contests can be entered "for free", this is false and misleading. The site runs on a little capitalist system, where its members each have an account made up of a virtual currency - called "member dollars". These dollars can be earned by writing reviews on newly-posted stories or poems from other users, with new content paying a larger amount of currency to the reviewer (as an incentive for their input) in comparison to an older poem, which pays almost nothing and is thus pointless to review. This is how the 'five-minute feedback' promise by the website is achieved, but I find it utterly exploitative - reviewers of new content are motivated by the amount of currency they will be paid, and will hastily write a comment, often vague, positive and offering no real criticism, in order to earn the proffered amount of currency so they can pay the fees required to submit entries to contests or 'promote' their writing on the website. Thus, they are not actually reviewing the material for its merit, but for the virtual money it pays. The amount earned by a user in reviewing a piece, whether old or new, is disproportionately low in comparison to the fees required to enter a contest - a review will pay around 40-70 member cents, for example, but an entry fee for a contest will typically be around 5.00 member dollars for more. This means that you'll be reviewing other people's work more than what you'd paid your membership fee to do - writing and sharing your own work, and thus the membership becomes more of a job or responsibility than a source of fun or satisfaction. The only alternative to reviewing is to buy virtual currency over PayPal with real money, which should ring alarm bells about the nature this website.
The content I was made to review to earn a decent amount of currency was almost always poor or downright atrocious, and I often felt embarrassed and slightly sickened to be reading it. Many poems I read that had won contests were often clichéd and lame, and would not merit publication or praise in any decent or professional literary circle. The website also appeared largely composed of retirees or housewives who wanted to dabble in writing, rather than improve their craft or write on serious subjects, producing repetitive and boring poetry preoccupied with subjects such as fields of flowers, the ocean, loving embraces, ad infinitum... it is definitely not a place that will produce the next Sylvia Plath or Robert Frost! I made a comment on my profile complaining of the poor quality of the writing on the website and the positive reviews it got, only to be firmly reproved by one user who invoked the example of Dan Brown as proof that "one man's trash can be another's treasure". Be that as it may, it still provided no excuse as to why many writers on the website were using improper grammar and clichéd, sentimental themes. Other users agreed with thIS user's claims of the subjectivity of writing. However, I still think my concerns were founded and well-evidenced and that Dan Brown is complete rubbish, not serious literature.
To conclude, I must say that this website completely violates the creative spirit of writing - it will try to claim a profit from its users regardless of the quality or merit of their work. While FanStory sounds like a nice idea, it still has all the faults of a business firm - exploitation of its members (who effectively get sucked in to become workers), those who are willing to spend money have the most power and benefits etc. Even though you will pay quite a hefty membership fee considering what you get out of the website, it requires you to give back time and effort in doing something you didn't pay to do. As an example, it's like if YouTube suddenly required its users to review random videos from others, in order for us to be allowed to post our own videos. Wouldn't that encourage people to leave vacuous and pointless comments when reviewing, such as "This is good", as they are forced to watch content they are not interested in in order to make a personal gain? This is exactly what happens on FanStory - things are reviewed for the profit, not because a user likes a poem and wants to review it on its own merit.
All in all, it is a business designed to extract maximum profit from its users with little concern for creative merit or quality of writing. It's features may sound attractive and it may sound like a website genuinely interested in helping writers and making a collaborative community, but it completely hides the fact that it is a profit-making scheme.

alexl36
7/4/13

Before signing up, I had a serious look at this site and was frankly horrified. I came away thinking there had to be some reason this guy is still in business. After a quick look at Alexa, I see that the majority of members are older people who have somehow been tricked into thinking writers should pay to publish their work. No, no, no. Sites like this are using people. They are NOT doing you a favor by publishing your work. If you want to learn how to write, you shouldn't be listening to reviews from others with no idea. If you want to be a writer, take a real course, learn your craft, and get paid for your work. If you don't care about quality and want people to stroke your ego for bad work, then maybe this is the site for you but it's going to cost you plenty in time and dollars.

aaronf15
7/4/13

This is an example of the kind of writing that gets all time best rating:

It is from an author defending himself about not copying a joke that he called an original piece.

In a "ten word story" he used 6 of the following words: Panda Bear Eats shoots and leaves
If you Google those 6 words you will find thousands of jokes using those words.
Well, that top-ranked Fanstory writer tried to pull off that joke as his own original work.
This joker had a "story" that has the same setting, same character, same conflict and actions, same theme. Yet dares to call it original. I would more likely question if it is downright plagiarism.
The site owner made a big deal about it not being a violation of a copyright. That's true because jokes are public domain. However, what about a violation of ethics, integrity, originality? Those things don't seem to matter to the site owner. If a person went on FanStory and posted a jokes every day, they could become a top ranked author in a hurry. There are a few reviewers with integrity that would question that practice, but unfortunately not enough. Then guess what, if you start to question it, the site owner will punish you.
If you think the FanStory is honest competition, think again. That almost incoherent essay above earned an award as one of the sites All Time Best. What's worse is that author is the one of the site's highest authors.
The way to "earn" your way to the top is to give everything you read 5 stars, so everyone else you read gives you 5 stars. It has nothing to quality of writing (as the above example shows) it has more to do with quantity of reviewing and writing that you do. More 5 stars given, the more 5 stars received because you will be able to buy your way to the top of the ratings.
Reviewers are peer pressured into to giving 5 stars to everything. There are very few honest reviewers on the site.
Also, a review is not like a movie review where you can tell that you didn't like the movie because it was boring. Say that and you will get punished because honesty will not be tolerated by the site owner. No, a review must always be a sugar coated pat on the back, or else the site members or even the site owner will attack you.
If you like a tribe of average writers that will give you a pat on the back then it might be the place for you. It is a very difficult place to rise above being average. It is not a good place for above average writers, which is too bad because it has the potential to be. However, an above average writer will get discouraged to see their piece get all 5 stars, but it will be along side the tale with a punctuation error every paragraph and tells (not even shows) a boring story also getting 5 stars.

vincentm27
7/4/13

I came here placed some of my work, and to find that the only way to move up your work is to pay for it with Member dollars or CASH, this poet will not pay to have his poetry read.

I've removed my work and I'm done here. Waste of my time and membership fee! I should have read more of the Negative reviews about this site before I dropped my dollars here, but lesson learned. I couldn't believe that one has to build up member dollars, which can take ages and to read lots of poorly written poetry. Now of course they are hoping that you will be bored with that so you can pay REAL CASH dollars to buy what they call member dollars to pump your views up on their ladder, I wonder how much REAL CASH had to be paid to be in the top 10 on their list. After reading much of their top ten poets?? I found much of the poetry substandard to say the least. I've asked for a refund and would caution everyone to read about them first, they say FREE, yes FREE TO REGISTER only then you have to pay their monthly membership fee. Very misleading indeed. Stay away REAL WRITERS.

2 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the FanStory staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: I want to use my pen name which is Jimmie Blakesong in my submissions but I want my real name used in my copyright. Is this possible? How?
5/25/15
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Q: When filling out my profile It says Jimmie Blakesong as my user name. Then it has signature spots. I believe there are two lines for this. Should I use Jimmie Blakesong in the first one, Then Jim Williams, my real name in the second one? I know this information is posted, and I want to do it right!
5/25/15
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the FanStory staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

FanStory?