US Government's NSF

1st Review:
johnm

338 Reviews for eBay

Review Highlights

been using it for almost 10 years now with absolutely no problems.

If they can find a way to charge you a fee for it, they will.

Ebay is by far the best auction site for many items on the web.

1 star
Rating Distribution

▼ Sort by: recent

4/20/14

I have well over 500 purchases on ebay and have sold 2 items. I have only had one or two purchases that weren't completely satisfactory - better odds than I get at the grocery store. I have purchased quite a few items from Hong Kong and China and have yet to be disappointed with those purchases - as long as I'm not in a hurry. They are a good bargain store most of the time. You have to know your prices and comparison shop.

4/13/14

Horrible Horrible. Wouldn't let me sell and never gave me a reason. Customer service is completely rude and interrupt you.

4/13/14

I have been receiving occasional invites to the fairly new Coach online store located inside the Ebay web site. You do have to have an invite to get on the website, which I can't figure out. But when I have shopped on there, I have gotten really good deals on all kinds of Coach purses, cosmetic bags, wallets, key rings, lanyards, etc. etc. And they are the real deal. Most of their bags, even when heavily discounted, run about $90 and up, unless you get a swingpack purse (little tiny purse). I have purchased probably 10 handbags on there, both for myself and gifts, and only had to return two, as one was too big and one was too small. No problem with the returns, either. The quality is there, and there is a multitude of choices from sunglasses to jewelry to clothes. I have to restrain myself every time I get one of these invitations because I love my Coach handbags so much - and I want MORE! Items are paid for securely, shipped promptly from Coach, and are packed carefully, complete with the Coach care cards and the little tags that set off the alarm systems in stores if you don't get all of them out of your new Coach item! I love Coach Outlet!

4/9/14

Ebay is a smokin hot website. From clips to big ticket items, I can purchase anything. The search function is brilliant. The feedback structure made me as a buyer to be confident when buying and helps in avoiding scams. The layout format is what I am most comfortable about this online store, it's very easy on the eyes. The functions of the cart and exciting bidding process is amazing. I have won items that I wanted so much because of the fast bid function.

4/9/14

We've been with ebay for 15 years now, thru the growing pains and built a viable business that employees 5 people. If ebay is consistent with anything, it's disappointing sellers.
We are top rated, have been for years, yet every year ebay insists on adding another hoop we must jump thru to keep that status. This year it's the detailed ratings. Last year it was tracking uploads.
We lost our top rated seller status this month because we were closed (and so was our post office) for 2 days due to the ice storm that hit our southern state. Ebay said they would handle it, yet we lost our top rated by .01% (that was 2 tracking numbers).
Did you know if a buyer returns a brick to you instead of a pair of shoes, you will have to refund them for the brick? Yep, that's what a rep told me last week. We all know the buyer wins, but why bother with the reporting abuse of return feature if it doesn't really matter?
Ebay is a great place to buy, but I tell anyone who asks me about selling to go with Amazon.
We can deal with ebay being probuyer

4/5/14

I used to be a fan of ebay, but not anymore. They not only charge a % of the final value, they now charge a % of shipping. Not to mention that they are in kahoots with paypal. Ebay charges you, paypal charges for the same transaction & there is not even an option to pay by check or money order. They're customer service absolutely sucks, as well. I'll sell on Pennswoods from now on.

4/4/14

This places an important tool to market my products. I do not have a product, but I was able to market the products of my friends, to establish sillaturrahim with my friends, then everybody can be happy.

I have a friend who has a product but can not way to market, some are not but could have a product and are able to market it. Everything became mutually helping each other. This is what I love about my friends.

4/1/14

Rated OK, but going downhill as long as they have paypal hanging around its neck. I have been a ebay user over 12 years, 100% feedbck rating. Everything was ok untill my last purchase in March. Went through ebay checkout to pay with paypal (have bank account and two cedit cards on file,verified and in good standing) and my payment was declined,tried several times but no luck. Called paypal customer service it did not offer specific help and hard to understand(believed it is outsourced ,India?) Next I tried email them, got response pretty fast compared to the time it took to explain the problem to them. I was told they would fix it,tryed to use the checkout process again but was declined. Emailed again, same response or told to call giving me the same number i called before,just a big run around. I went through that several times, before i gave up. Their response was the same thing, it was automated web forms with a different name on it. I had to remove my bank account and my credit cards from paypal to keep them from getting ruined. Made payment for my purchase by good ole American Mother Lovin cashiers check. Now i have no confidence in their payment process or customer support, now will ask sellers if they will accept chashiers check or usps money order to pay for a purchase, if not I won't bid. I thought I might sell items myself , i would hate to be on sellers side that kind of problem. To this day was not told what went wrong or if really really fixed. Now just hanging out in space. I could tell everybody to be very carefull using ebay/paypal, but if you follow the guidelines and a good person you could end up like me.

3/31/14

I'm not a big fan of ebay anymore - they charge too many fees for the service they're providing. Additionally, I think there are too many cheap and bad quality products from professional sellers that just destroy the whole idea of ebay.

3/31/14

It's the best site for shopping online. the best customer service I ever know. I'm so happy with shopping online. Thanks ebay

3/31/14

I have had fun purchasing on eBay for the last 2 years and have sold 2 items successfully. I have recently listed an Hermes wallet only to have the listing pulled because they claim it is fake. I bought it on eBay and have since found a color I like better. I shop Hermes and I know it is authentic. I am redoing the sale site with better photos and am willing to pay to have it authenticated by a reputable online site. No problem. The problem I have is that there are several obviously fake wallets listed in my category and eBay will do nothing about them. Reporting the listing does no good. Even with the good experiences I have had I will sell this item and say farewell to eBay. Save some money!

3/31/14

Ebay is a good company but they need to be stricter with resellers. I bought a product on Ebay and what I got is an immitated product. Ebay should have kicked the seller out from selling stuff on Ebay but they did not

3/24/14

Its a really great site...

I always use this one for electronics items. Here easily find out many of deals on products and i which we can choose best offers.

3/20/14

Your ebay experience obviously depends on the seller. I've been using them for about 10 years, and this is the advice that I'd give:

Only buy from someone with 100% positive feedback. The best ones have between 50-1000 reviews, because they will bend over backwards to protect their rep. You may think your safe buying from someone with 99.8 positive feedback with 50,000 reviews, but your negative is just a drop in the bucket to them.
Use paypal, but also use a credit card with a customer friendly charge back policy. If something goes wrong, you have multiple options for disputing the charge.

3/17/14

E-bay and pay pal allow uninformed buyers to pay without being invoiced or billed for a product they can not possibly pick up or take possession of thus causing days and days of hassle. The pay pal foreign representatives do not always have the language skills to deal with hearing impaired people. Included in my torture was a foreign rep. that could not deal with an apple computer running safari. When told to respond by e-mail they just ignore me. I have had more satisfactory dealings than bad ones.

3/13/14

Can be useful, but they are tied to paypal which is sucky as a payment provider, and they keep changing the back end rules for sellers which makes it hard to run a store, i pulled my store off ebay and put it up on amazon which seems for now to be more fruitful

3/13/14

Used as a buyer for over 10 years with no problems. Started selling last year and had a customer decide not to pay for their item. eBay charged me the seller fees, over $10 and I had to jump brought a bunch of hoops before I could get the charges reversed and resist my item. Seller wouldn't respond or anything so I could relist. I had to wait until ebay said i could close the case. To top it off, eBay does not take action on the buyer and they don't allow sellers to provide negative feedback on buyers who don't pay. They should provide sellers with equal review ability and protections as buyers. I am sure that bad buyers lead to future bad sellers. Hopefully I will find a better auction site on sitejabber; I am no longer an eBay fan.

3/11/14

Very expensive to use. Fees altogether total more than 15% of sale price, this for the few pennies of support that they provide. Horrible. I am looking for an alternative.

3/10/14

MOST CORRUPT COMPANY IN THE WORLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EBAY has been involed with crimes online, and it is on record, also ebay has lost multiple lawsuits ! !Now ebayi is spending money fake reviews against webstore, because they fear no fees, and they met their match, ebay is trying to quickly block new members from joining webstore with false acusations, all the things they are saying, are the things ebay themselves are responsible for, these bastards need to lose all business, please make you're own decision, watch this youtube video to understand ebay: Ebay The World's biggest online Crime Ring : By Bugsy Cline

3/9/14

This is the poorest excuse for a bit site on the plannet. Take my word for it i am a seller. Ebay is a great platform for people in other countries to rip you off. Ebay even rips off its own sellers wich blows me away considering the sellers are who pay ebay. Stay away from ebay save yourself the trouble.

3/6/14

Sold my college textbooks last semester in 5 days! Fst payment and no problem from provider. Woud sell again w them.

3/6/14

I ordered a new screen replacement(zebra patterned) for my iPhone 4, and they sent the wrong one, and when after I had installed it, I realized that the digitizer was slightly broken, and now there are dead zones on my phone, it's very difficult to use, and I can't press some letters while typing.

3/5/14

Gotta love eBay, but there's a bit of a learning curve. "Best Offers" can really pigeon hole buyers, since sellers have 48 hours before the offer expires. You can find some really, really cool stuff on eBay at a great price, though. A lot of great things you can't find elsewhere.

3/3/14

I love ebay I buy and sell on ebay all the time . I especially love the fact that if anything happends with a faulty buyer or seller ebay will handle the matter

3/3/14

- 1 star from me! Ever since John Donahoe joined eBay as their CEO and said "We had to create a vision of the future so people could let go of a very successful past." the site was doomed for the small, honest and exceptional seller. They now want to be Amazon, but the share price is evidence this will never happen.

3/1/14

of course it depends on the ebay seller, where you are buying from but ebay is doing a great job regarding customer support. the help quickly and are very efficient when you have a problem

2/28/14

I am giving it an OK. Why? Because eBay has been making it harder for sellers to even last on there, I am not sure how many times I have been suspended due to odd reasons. I sold a couple of dollar store type items and I get a message saying something about not liking my business practices? Like really? What does that mean?

So getting back on has been a pain, luckily I ran across a website that a friend referred to me called www.auctionessistance.com
Based off talking to one of their associates, they really know their stuff just off one conversation, so I have been working with them just recently which is helping me tremendously.

But as far as selling & all the fiasco that is going down, I give it a 3 star since they are the only game in town for bringing loads of traffic.

2/27/14

Thank you, eBay, for facilitating the damage of my property. For allowing a buyer to misuse the return policy. For allowing a buyer to file "item not as described" because they changed their mind. For ignoring the partial refund the buyer and I agreed to before the item was returned damaged which, in effect, means I paid shipping for someone to damage my property, and YOU facilitated that damage. Thank you for showing me what an irresponsible and buyer-centric company you have become. Thank you for not responding to the three claims I filed trying to get a response so a different refund amount could be decided, but instead forcing a refund. That is NOT seller protection. Your ever so helpful customer support informed me the protection I got was to issue the agreed upon refund so I didn't get a negative rating even though the buyer used and damaged the item before returning it. Why, if that is the case, does it state in the resolution center to not issue a refund until the item arrives and can be examined? Rest assured I will be posting this on every eBay forum I can find.

2/24/14

I used to buy & sell a lot of items on ebay, although I did more buying than selling. I rarely use the site anymore. The fees rose to the point where it was no longer practical for a "small" seller such as myself to sell on ebay because I was nearly giving the item away after ebay & paypal fees and shipping. I do not buy much any more from ebay because the vast majority of the items are "Buy it Now", which means in most cases it is not really an auction site; this took the fun out of it for me and made it more challenging to get a good deal. I rarely see a "buy it now" price that beats the price I can find elsewhere.

Apprentice Reviewer
2/24/14

ebay is a good way to shop used and/or cheap items. as long as you stick to a reputable seller. ebays insurance policy makes it a safe way to shop. when im looking for a specialty item, this is the place to go.

2/19/14

I love ebay... I can find pretty much anything I want to buy at a good price on ebay. I have never had a problem with my buying experience there, except only once but I have bought many many things, and if you do have a problem you can resolve it through the website or return the item which I didn't care to do because it was only 6$.

2/11/14

XOOX to Ebay!!

What can I say about a business that is its own country? with its own banking institution LOL

Best of the Best has been supporting my family for many years w no issues at all.

Play by the book and you will get everything you need and more!

All I can say is..
'Honk, if you got 'IT' on Ebay' LOL

2/10/14

An eBay seller "nyfashionexpert".
Incredibly RUDE and LACK of customer service to a first time customer. She sells Hermes on eBay. I read her so called blog and boasts highly of her amazing customer service. I'm interested in one of her Hermes bags. It cost quite a lot for that bag. So I asked her to see additional pictured of the bag. Since in her listing, she only have pictures of front,bag,side views. No interior picture,no date code, no nothing! It is such an incomplete listing so I asked her that I need additional pictures to make decision. That should be no problem. Everything should go smoothly.
But she replied me with a whole paragraph of insults! I have never ever seen any business does that to a customer. To insult a customer!
But this woman does it. I still am in total shock. I have met with not so good customer service such as slow shipment, incomplete information, and product not so good.
But NEVER EVER meet with a customer service who INSULTS A CUSTOMER!

Oh my god, if she is an employee, she will be fired right away for this lunatic act. But she is the owner. From now on, no new customer will buy from her anymore. She is just a rude b**tch who insults a new customer!

2/10/14

I have proof that the item I bought on Ebay was returned to sender (the tracking number was given by Seller showing the item returned to their address) and the Seller and Ebay refused to give my money back. Wow..... unbelievable. They basically just steal my money like that. I will never buy anything on Ebay again. Don't trust them no more.

2/10/14

eBay is safe as long as you read the seller's reviews whom you are buying from and make sure they have a good rating as well as a long time selling on eBay. If you've been scammed you can contact eBay and or PayPal.

2/10/14

I would have rated it a 5+ star site for sure. No doubt about it. The good old days sure were good! But seeing I am no longer allowed to use the site in any fashion although I have sold over 1,000 items and always treated the customer right (even the ones that ripped me off) how can I rate it more than 1 star? Disappointing. Can we add a 0 star rating option to jabber? A life time ban for people that were making a living by running a fun and successful business seems kinda rude. I hope that ebay is not intentionally doing this and it is merely a by product of a good intentioned idea gone seriously amuck. By the way, I was banned back in 2011. I tried to make another account on ebay a few days ago with no success and am just now looking around and hearing the stories. I hope the miniscule amount of power my review has can help ebay look around too because I sure do miss it.

2/9/14

It would be difficult to recommend EBay to anyone. In the past year the site has become even more anti-seller than before (and I think they often don't support the good buyers who are not scammers but honestly trying to resolve issues). If a site is anti seller it is also anti buyer. EBay customer service is a joke...they're in some -istan nation and often do not speak English as a first or even second language. EBay employs all these people...overseas, for pennies. At the same time, EBay has become very inhospitable to small sellers by limiting views of their items so that even though sellers pay to list things, EBay's most recent user agreement states they "may not" show in searches! That has to be fraud! Not to mention Paypal, owned by EBay, which freezes people's funds not only in Paypal accounts but in bank accounts linked to Paypal, for 21 days and longer. That has to be against the law! In a stunning purge of small sellers last year, EBay with no notice at all closed the accounts of over 15,000 small sellers. This is outrageous. This is during a recession, when so many depend on the business they do on EBay to pay for groceries. Apparently this was the result of a computer program designed to clean house but as is often the case, many who had done nothing to deserve this were swept up in the mess. EBay remains completely unaccountable and people had no appeal or recourse. They could not complete sales which were made, they couldn't tie up loose ends...they went from heroes to bad people in one fell swoop. EBay has made it clear that it has an agenda to support big box sellers and Chinese manufacturers (who do not compete fairly because of cheaper postage rates and other trade agreement benefits). EBay no longer wants small sellers. They have treated them with disdain. EBay is no longer a good place to do business. Sales are down for most small sellers because EBay limits the search views to favoured (big box) sellers. EBay also in a cheap move stopped paying Google for as much access, cutting their sellers off at the knees (while charging them more). Because of the flawed Detailed Seller Rating system, sellers are often victimised by unscrupulous buyers who have become savvy in the ways of EBunk ... they know that EBay will side with them against sellers every time. Sellers who want to maintain their high feedback (without which they too will be purged) must often knuckle under to sellers who demand "partial refunds" (i.e., discounts) and who rant against an item (often before it has been delivered) and then when offered "return for refund" do not take it (all they wanted was a bribe). To be fair, most buyers on EBay are good ....it's just that the scammers have been enabled by EBay and now are rife there. EBay was once a wonderful place but since it was taken over by John Donahoe (formerly of Bain Capital) it has been turned into something different....and is no longer friendly and hospitable terrain. I'm saddened to have to be less than optimistic but the changes especially in the past year leave EBay watchers dismayed and do not hold out much hope for a good future there. Look for it to be another place to buy whatever they sell at Walmart and not much else. Don't get used to caring, nice small sellers...their days are numbered.

2/9/14

Long time eBay car dealer from 1999. eBay has killed the Trust and Community needed to sell quality automobiles online. It was Trust that made these kind of long distance deals work.

Now eBay is giving long time eBay core sellers the permanent boot for the slightest petty violation. It's sickening how they toss money in the dumpster! Small sellers and trust and community made eBay into what John Donahoe is disrupting.

If you are an eBay stock holder I advise not depending on the eBay kool-aid pr and taking a look at the eBay critic websites on the net to see what's really going on behind the scenes. It's not as good as the eBay spin department says!

2/9/14

Ebay is great for a buyer. I love buying on ebay.

It is bad for small sellers. I've sold on ebay myself since 1999 and I find the friendly atmosphere and feeling of community you used to feel there has been on a rapid decline since about 2008.

My biggest beef is that there is no more authentic feedback system. A positive feedback left for a seller may not even be positive due to the detailed seller ratings star system. Most buyers probably do not know how much damage they are causing to a sellers account when leaving these 1 and 2 stars, and probably do it unwittingly. They don't MEAN to cause damage, but they do.

After three 1 or 2 star ratings, a seller can and probably will be banned, even with a 100% positive feedback rating.

Sellers are not allowed to leave anything but a positive feedback for a buyer, even if a buyer was difficult, abusive, unreasonable or did not pay, so there's no warnings for other sellers to heed. If you leave a message about the buyer in feedback that is less than glowing, ebay will sometimes remove it and warn you.

The last line of defense for a seller these days is to ban certain buyers manually, problem is, when you figure out who to ban, it's usually too late - they've already ruined your DSR or cost you in fees when you have to re-list what they didn't pay for.

2/9/14

For small sellers, eBay has become extremely unpleasant. Ebay favors the big box retailers and has engaged in mass purges of thousands of small sellers starting back in August (you can Google all of this). These weren't "bad sellers", these were good decent small "mom and pop" sellers who were suspended from selling. The Guardrail or Quick Decline and "trending" hang like a Sword of Damocles over small seller's heads. A couple of low DSR (Detailed Seller Ratings, BUYER OPINIONS) can derial a 14-year selling career on eBay no matter if you have 5,000 positive feedback. Ebay slaps 21-day holds (illegal in most states) on sellers' PayPal accounts (sellers have to pay for the hipping of items out of their own pockets while waiting for their payments from buyers to be released). Ebay granted itself permission in the October 26th User Agreement to no longer make a seller's items visible on the site based on hidden "criteria". Yes you read that right and can Google it. This is just the tip of the iceberg here, there is much, much more...

2/9/14

I'm not sure how anyone could ever rate this site lower than 5 stars. Obviously new users who have no idea how to use the site. You can find everything on the site, and if the seller screws something up or lies about something, eBay will cover you and get your money refunded. No complaints in over 10 years of use.

2/7/14

I'm shocked at how ebay treats sellers that have been with ebay for 15 years or more. Also, when you speak to representatives (none of them from the U.S.), they are rude and seem to not understand English well enough to explain what is going on. I first got suspended in Jan. for having one jerk leave lower seller ratings over a $10 book because the post office delivered it late!!! Even after I gave hi a refund. This is after being a Power SEller for decades. ebay is horrible now. stay clear

2/7/14

I love ordering from here! Trustworthy. I always get some awesome finds for cheap1 Ebay is the $#*!. No joke!

2/6/14

I've been buying and selling on eBay since 1999. The site is so much easier to use now! The biggest purchase I made was a car and it was the easier and best car-buying experience. As eBay has grown, they've made smart investments in technology, especially in information security. Yes, there are scams from time to time, but this is the real world and dishonesty can never be 100% eliminated. eBay is a great place to find whatever it is you're looking for from global sellers.

2/6/14

I've bought lots of stuff from ebay. Everything came in 1 piece and exactly like it was described. Maybe it was just me buying stuff from people with high reviews. I really like the bidding system offered by eBay and the fact that I can negotiate prices with the seller. I will continue to buy more stuff, but just from people with high reviews, to avoid any possible problems. In my opinion, judging by its history, ebay revolutionized the global market and helped millions of people buy whatever they were looking for. Same happened with me.

2/3/14

worst website ever! expensive ! threatening tactics, overseas owner, money laundering company! avoid it and do not let scammers takes american hard working small retailers money overseas! they suspended my account 99% for past 4 years 25k feedbacks for no reason! this is real threating discrimination company!

2/2/14

Overall, my experience has been good, but their policies are very confusing-- so confusing their own representatives have difficulty understanding them.

If you have real trouble with feedback or a bad transaction, you have to keep calling until you get someone from the Midwest because the people in Asia are not very understanding and just read off if a screen.

1/28/14

Ebay is surprisingly a good place to buy textbooks-- if you can plan ahead. Think about it, students all over the country use the same book, and when they're done they want to sell it. The school store never offers enough, so students naturally gravitate back to selling it online. What's the most well-known place to buy and sell from others? Ebay! Overall, very happy with it. :)

1/26/14

Ebay only cares about 1 thing.. Them getting PAID!. I had an item that I ordered never arrive... Shipping said it did.. But it didn't. UPS "was investigating, and took my phone number" Since then... I lost my case on ebay and UPS now requires a signature for all my packages.. I am out my money and have to drive to pick up my packages now.. So to you i say NEVER USE EBAY OR UPS!

1/26/14

Never had a problem and had a lot of great deals over the years. Some people have commented on issues with PayPal but I guess I've been lucky.

About eBay