US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

tablef

I never though I would see the day that I would leave Google Search Engine. (in 13 reviews)

davidb158

Google is too ad oriented these days and has lost sight of good solid search results. (in 6 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

andrewc18
6/3/15

Two main reasons I love DuckDuckGo:

1. Bang shortcuts - for example, typing "!images ducks" directs you to a Google Image Search for ducks; "!yt ducks" gives you YouTube results, "!wiki" gives you a Wikipedia page, etc. It saves you from having to navigate to a website, load its homepage, and type in the search bar.

2. No tracking - Google, Yahoo! and Bing track you all the time to give you "personalized" search results, not to mention using your IP address to generate results based on your location. DuckDuckGo gives you results relevant only to the keywords you search for.

Granted their search algorithm isn't as advanced as Google for complex queries.

Tip for consumers: If you want Google results without being tracked:
Try doing a Startpage search. Startpage essentially searches Google for you, without giving Google your information, and returns the results to you. You can go to startpage.com, OR if you use DuckDuckGo as your default search engine, use their !bang shortcut "!sp" - for example, "!sp ducks" gives you Google results for ducks on Startpage.com.

Malicious Ads:
Sure the ads can lead to malicious sites, but search engines like Google aren't compl

garyl44
5/29/15

I use DDG on firefox, and have for about 5 years. I uninstalled it for a day, just to see if the complaints about uninstalling were real, but I had no problems.Is there possibly a download site putting out a bad version or something? I decided to do a review because Avast keeps trying to get me to uninstall it - ever since they partnered with Yahoo. So now I guess I have to start looking for a new anti-virus provider...

gloriap8
5/23/15

Within 24 hours of switching my browser, scam email was sent from a very (formerly) pristine gmail account. This gmail account even had a new, very challenging password combination.

echosyne
12/9/14

My Mac desktop with Mavericks has two accounts, Admin and Secondary. I found DuckDuckGo at Apple's extensions page, installed DuckDuck Go in the Admin account and it duplicated itself in the secondary account. Search results are commercialized and simplistic. It hides from all computer searches and I cannot uninstall it. All instructions for removal that I found, even at DuckDuckGo site, do not work. I must conclude from this that Apple and DuckDuckGo are both criminal.

jackw66
11/24/14

i love this places privacy but google is better when it comes to searches.

karenk37
10/4/14

On Sept. 29,2014 I searched DuckDuckGo for Duke Energy. The first site on the list was for My.Check.Me/DukeEnergy.com. This site ripped me off for $212.10. They took the money and did not pay Duke Energy.
Right! It's not DuckDuckGo's fault because I didn't see the word AD.
However DuckDuckGo got a cut of that theft by taking a fee from check.me and promoting them to top of the list.

joec81
8/28/14

Did a test search for "least expensive voice over programs." DuckDuckGo went straight to "cell phones". A quick comparison with Google confirmed that DuckDuckGo is a waste of time.

Tip for consumers: Don't bother. It is glaringly inadequate.

johnj145
6/19/14

DuckDuckGo promote Scam websites to the top of their search lists, just like the others! I thought they were an ethical business, but found out to my loss (when I trusted their link) to buy a Rod Licence. They promoted a direct link into this scam website, which had the Environment Agency name on it, without any mention of additional fees etc.
Is there ANY search engines you can trust, now? I think not, they are all morally corrupt.

charlesn14
5/10/14

As search engines go it is good. My biggest peave is I continue to get Russian web sites suggested when I search. I have set, checked and re-checked my settings, they are still where I set them originally and still the Russian sites show up. Wish I could just block anything outside the USA!!

fuzzbusters
4/21/14

Duckduckgo has been my default browser for over 1 year now. I hardly ever use Google, which is just a backup for Duckduckgo. I read some reviews that said something about duckduckgo making itself your default browser, but I have no idea what they are talking about.

johnm297
4/5/14

This is about duckduckgo.com's ability to find and rank websites. Our site ranks on page 1 of 14 of the top 15 search engines, the exception beingduckduckgo. So just how relevant are duckduckgo's results to the search term? If this is not an anomaly then not good at all.

bobk38
2/18/14

As a professional writer sometimes using the Internet for research, I find duckduckgo produces the most harmonious search outcome. You get a variety of results. There is no spinning of findings according to your past searches. If you enter an ambiguous term, it lists multiple definitions for your selection before completing its work. It is fast. It is definitely supported—but not consumed—by advertising. This is a preliminary review, but so far it earns *****.

antoniom31
2/7/14

I recommend this search engine who unlike many others like google, focuses on real results (not commercial links) and privacy for the user

maxr23
12/2/13

Best search engine right now, as of this writing. I'm not sure how they manage to do such a great job of providing fair results not cluttered with ads (is their bandwidth free, do they not have bills to pay?), but if they manage to stay that way I will continue to use them daily. I used to use other search engine, one beginning with a letter G, but not anymore. I would out that the G engine prefers whoever pays them the most, so you end up with not fair results as non-paying websites get pushed to the bottom. There is no such discrimination with duckduckgo.com I just hope they stay that way. I love how more results get fetched when you scroll to the end of the page, there's no need to click anything.

ericl38
11/30/13

DuckDuckGo provides great results in an easy to search site. I've found things on here that I didn't find elsewhere, and it's service is quick and easy to use! Highly recommended!

tonyb60
11/20/13

duckduckgo receives my praise in no small part due to their devotion to protecting the privacy of the user. The search engine itself works very good.

davidb158
8/27/13

Good alternative search engine to some of the more well known. Google is too ad oriented these days and has lost sight of good solid search results. Duck Duck Go and others (prefer BING to Google) are more on target for what this user wants in results.

Also they are anonymous search queries if that is something anyone is concerned about.

stever39
8/26/13

It is like a virus. Once in your computer you cannot get rid of it. Email them asking how, and no reply.

it might be the best search engine out there but when it acts like a virus, and keeps taking over my browser, I do not want it.

Wonder how many of the 5* reviews are just their spam. They are good at that

wardb17
8/18/13

UGH!!!! Very difficult to remove and automatically becomes your default Web Browser in FireFox no matter what you do .... Had to work very hard to remove. I would have been happy to keep it and use it if it didn't take over my browser... Be careful installing this because it makes itself almost impossible to remove!!!!

george---h
7/1/13

unable to remove, no way to remove it be sure you want it gives you no out. I don't like anything that takes control of my pc.

duckf
11/30/12

you only receive 1 page of search results

doesnt record your IP

no filter bubbling

lots of plugins to help you out (goodies)

benk3
5/18/12

By now all of us know that Google tracks you, and also owns Yahoo. Its like finding a clingy person you don't know, trailing after you all over town and making notes on everything you do. WOW !! George Orwell just winked at me! Well now, we don't have to worry anymore about this creepy problem . Duck Duck Go.com is a new browser that gives you complete privacy. It does not track or bubble its clients, and says this, right up front, in writing. Duck Duck Go serves up tons of concise info in response to your search. They even personally acknowledge you for using " the Duck" by email. So next time someone tells you to DUCK IT, you don't have to run for cover.

bobj21
1/13/12

I have no reason to dislike this site. I recently switched my default search engine to duckduckgo.

When searching for something you get a little snippit of information about it at the top (whether it is a definition, or just an interesting fact). Below you are shown one page of results (quite honestly you don't want to have to look through 14 pages to find what you're looking for anyway). By clicking on "more links" at the bottom you see all the other things the engine found not displayed on the top of the list.

REASONS TO USE:
[1] Tired of google
[2] ad-free
[3] "DuckDuckGo does not collect or share personal information."

REASONS TO LOSE:
[1] Doesn't have "image search" capability yet

kylej4
10/13/11

Love the idea behind this: a simple, clean, privacy-driven search engine. Basically what Google USED to be. I hope this takes off.

tablef
7/25/11

DuckDuckGo has been reviewed a couple times already, but I feel it is worth mentioning again.

I never though I would see the day that I would leave Google Search Engine. I really never had a reason to until I read a review of how great it was. So I tried it out. Two things struck me.

1. I only received 1 page of search results.
2. The results I wanted were on the first line of the results.

I ran a number of comparison queries and noticed that, although Google always returned more results, DuckDuckGo always provided more relevant results. The reason behind this, according to DuckDuckGo's website is that Google uses some sort of "bubble" querying technique or algorithm that builds results based on your querying and clicking history. DuckDuckGo also bans ads and spam sites. DuckDuckGo does not log or track your querying. With DuckDuckGo you have a lot of control over how your queries are displayed. And you can also elect to have them sent via SSL.

I use Google for looking up spelling & definitions. It is usually a couple click process. With DuckDuckGo, the results contain the definitions. I like to use Google because it has a suggestion feature ("Google Suggest"). One of the settings for DuckDuckGo is where it asks you if you want to use Google Suggest. So that reason is no longer valid.

DuckDuckGo has an extension or plugin for IE, FireFox, Opera, Safari and Chrome. So, I keep my homepage set to Google, but my search box is set to DuckDuckGo. When I search DuckDuckGo and the result list is short, it displays a link to both Bing and Google that can be clicked to rerun the query using those search engines.

One last thing about DuckDuckGo that interests me is that it incorporates a !bang syntax. It recognizes hundreds of keywords or abbreviations that, when prefaced by the "!" (bang) symbol, provide query results specific to the website referenced. For example: "!video" or "!yt" will give you results from youtube.com. Hmm, how does this help? I am working on that. But some network tools are available, such as Domaintools.com utilities like whois, traceroute and dnslookup. This syntax saves many clicks and new browser tabs. And to check which hp laptops Walmart, Target and NewEgg have, just type in "!target hp laptop" or "!walmart hp laptop" or "!newegg hp laptop."

CONCLUSION:

Will DuckDuckGo replace Google? No. It does have its place though. Over the past 2 weeks of using DuckDuckGo, I run about 85% of my queries through DuckDuckGo first. The main reason people flock to DuckDuckGo is for privacy. But I enjoy the control over my results interface, the relevance of the results and the fact that the results display the information I need without having to click on the link provided. This is called their Redbox feature. Enable it and DuckDuckGo provides the spelling and definition of your query term, along with a couple more links it thinks you are interested in contained in a expanded red box at the top of the result page.

If you try DuckDuckGo, just remember that "Google Suggest" only works when you have the Search Bar configured. You will not get Google Suggest by going to DuckDuckGo.com and using their search page.

I highly recommend trying this search engine.

ianm11
6/21/11

I have been trying to find a more private and secure engine to Google Search for some time now. What I find worrying is the fact that Google traces all your moves, logs your computer details, your IP address, you location and so much more! I then came across Google SSL, more secure against outside tracking, but still doesn't stop Google from tracking you.

I then found https://www.ixquick.com, which has a great engine. It comes with SSL and doesn't even log your IP address or your search terms. But then - the problem with Ixquick.com is that it doesn't turn up very relevant search results. Its now about a month later and I have found the best one yet. DuckDuckGo! It supports both HTTP and HTTPS which is good. It also doesn't log your search terms or even your IP address.

I compared Google's search results on my name to DuckDuckGo search results. Funnily enough, I found DuckDuckGo to come up more relevant than Google. I managed to find some old profiles and some press releases that I never thought were published on the net!!

This isn't all though. The SSL version located here: https://duckduckgo.com/ has a Firefox addon called "HTTPS Everywhere". Thus, when entering sites like Facebook, Wikipedia, etc that support HTTPS connection, you can click to enter SSL mode. Finally - DuckDuckGo.com also works with the TOR Network. You can run this search engine through their proxy to get ultimate privacy.

ronk
5/2/10

Hardly. And Bing works with very respectable algorithms.

But DuckDuckGo is a feature-rich semantic search engine, that gives you countless reasons to leave Google behind. Searches are divided into a classic search, information search, shopping and their own spin-off from Google, "I'm feeling ducky." ::cough::

If you search for a term that has more than one meaning, it will give you the chance to choose what you were originally looking for, with its disambiguation results. For example, searching for the term Apple will give you a long list of the possible meanings – including the fruit, the computer company, the bank and many others.

Happy Ducking?
Ron.

3 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the DuckDuckGo staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Display query suggestions in the search box. Why doesn't Duck display this??
9/12/13
Answer
carols33
A: I am considering a download of DuckDuckGo but have read one comment that says once downloaded it cannot be removed. Is this true? How is this program deleted if it is not as portrayed?
7/6/13
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Q: I use Duck Duckgo on several computers and love it. On all win 7 and 8 systems I cannot save selected themes and region settings. After save settings and a restart all is erased and back to default. Please help. Thank you in advance.
6/27/15
Answer
joec81
A: I found the site very lacking in it's responses in comparison to Goggle and no longer use it. Even Yahoo is better.
6/29/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
Questions? Get answers from the DuckDuckGo staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

DuckDuckGo?