US Government's NSF

Detailed Rating Summary

▼ Sort by: recent

markh133
12/11/14

I took up Digital River / Beanstream with my volusion store.
I quite like the backend which is straightforward, the support from the advisors is freely available and the integration with Volusion was easy.
However if you are a UK user forget it! Digital River are new to the UK (2014) and it shows, basically the system is a fraud waiting to happen. And it happens.
The fraud prevention advertised is virtually none existent; I personally lost over £15000 due to charge backs which appeared legitimate.
To put that into perspective the target chargeback for any business should be less than 1%, I had approximately 30% under Digital Rivers Payment Gateway.
I even called the Digital River team on one of the big orders and was assured that systems were in place to check data.
The Pre Authorisation does not however check data, it does not check name, it does not check address, it does not check which country the card was issued in, it does not check IP, it does not even check if it is a man or a woman.
The AVS – Address verification system does not work for UK users due to their banking partners! Who happen to be JP Morgan.
There is no current reason to use this system in the UK unless you want to lose your business.
Am I bitter – Oh Yes!
This has virtually shut down my business.

anthonyt26
6/25/14

I am finally fed up enough with Digital River to post a complaint and suggest that vendors should seriously consider using an alternate option.

About six months ago I received an email from Nuance promoting an introductory price for DNS. I placed the order for a download version and added backup CD. Subsequently my order was rejected for the download version, but not for the CD. Nice to have spent money on a CD without getting the license. On complaint to Nuance they said it was a problem with Nuance and could care less. I ended up purchasing DNS 12 recently through Amazon. Guess what, I used the same credit card and address!

Today I went to order an annual subscription to screencast. My order was rejected twice using the same credit card and address as for Nuance. A call to TechSmith sales and I was able to make the order without problem. Again using the same credit card and address.

I am sick and tired of Digital River and will avoid them at all cost. If a vendor does not offer an alternative to purchasing their product through DR, I will not purchase the product.

rebeccap19
6/23/14

I bought software from Digital River which did not work. Customer service is awful; you can only communicate by email. There are grammar mistakes in all of their correspondence. I have been sent back and forth between emails, each saying that the other will resolve it. They will not give me a refund and insist they have solved my problem. I still don't have working software.

lorrainew3
Veteran Reviewer
5/21/14

I recently bought a antivirus software that was less than perfect buy a long shot. When I bought the software from Office Depot the box did not say that they had no customers service support. In fact it said just the opposite. I called the number on the box when I needed help and guess who answered? To my surprise after spending almost $90.00 for the software that had a third party vendor handling there customer service. The representative told me they where Digital River. I asked her why I was not getting support from the name of the software maker? She replied saying that unless I bought the software online directly from the antivirus company I had to deal with them. Well of course I became pretty irate. I then told her where to get off at and said I would get my money back and she could stuff it. I also told her that unless they put that on the box they are selling in retail stores like Staples and Office Depot then they need to remove them from the stores all together. So beware of the Digital River corporation that does not identify themselves before you waste your money. Of course I know that Office Depot had nothing to do with this as they also where unaware of the issue until I brought it to there attention. They then swapped it out for me. How nice was that? www.digitalriver.com

johnj139
5/21/14

Digital River is awful. Avoid them if you can. I bought a Lenovo laptop from them but the laptop didn't work. Digital River tells me I have to get a refund and the process is as follows:
1. I contact Lenovo and get a return code under their warranty scheme.
2. I give the return code to Digital River.
3. Digital River confirms the return code with Lenovo and then collects the laptop from me
4. Once Digital River has collected the laptop from me they give me a refund.

Everyone is doing their part except Digital River. Lenovo gave me a return code straight away. I gave the return code to Digital River. Digital River won’t contact Lenovo to confirm the return code.
At first they tried telling me they contacted Lenovo and the delay is with Lenovo, however, Lenovo are adamant Digital River have not yet contacted them. Lenovo say all Digital River have to do is send an email and Lenovo will approve it immediately. Digital River now accepts they have not yet sent the email to Lenovo and claim they will prioritise sending the email with their supervisor. It’s been over a week now and they are still delaying sending an email to Lenovo to confirm the return code. When I asked to speak with a supervisor I was told a supervisor will phone me. I am still waiting. Its pretty obvious Digital River are delaying giving me a refund for as long as possible. My recommendation is save yourself a nightmare and do not buy from these crooks.

helent9
3/17/14

Digital River are the online seller in the UK of Lenovo computers so I ordered my computer through them. There is an initial dispatch time of 2-3 working days but I am a third year university student and called for an update on the second day because I really need a computer. These are the following lies I was told by the most useless customer service team I have ever come across:

1.) It would be ten days because it was coming from China and I would receive an email the next day.
2.) When no email arrived that it had been delayed for an extra 3 days and was coming from Europe.
3.) That it was further delayed by 2 days.
4.) That it was again delayed by a further 4 days (now due to be dispatched two weeks after the initial order.
5.) That it had been dispatched the previous Friday, the day that I was told that it would be delayed by 4 days. This included an email with tracking details for DHL which did not work. When DHL were called they said that this number was not a tracking number with them. They had no record of it at all!
6.) By this point I was more than furious and called back to ask what the hell was going on only to be told it had not been dispatched. When I asked where the tracking number came from I was told that they had no idea. I then asked to speak to a manager who would call me back within the hour. Four hours later I AGAIN called to ask about talking to a manager and was (quite rudely) told that the manager would call me tomorrow because 'they receive a lot of emails'.

Well NO WONDER they receive a lot of emails. They are officially the worst customer service team I have ever talked to. Not just oblivious but actively lying to customers. If the manager does call me back (which I doubt) I will be cancelling my order.

amyc32
2/2/14

Avoid this company. They will put you on an automatic renewal when their original product does not work (they will not answer you on that one either). I am getting charged by them when I didn't authorize a yearly charge, nor did the original product work. AVOID AVOID AVOID

mikew81
1/24/14

Digital river is a seller for third party software. I bought a mp3 player from wmatools.com because it played older mp3's. I never received the software key to unlock the program out of trial mode. Digital River/RegNow/MyCommerce and Wmatools.com have refused to answer any emails so they have essentially stolen 28+dollars from me.
Do not use this company. They are thieves.

djahmaa
12/18/13

lenovo france sell through digital river. reluctant at first, I ended up buying my lenovo laptop through digital river. What to say?
1) they are useless: they levy shipping cost in between lenovo and UPS, what for?
2) order monitoring is non-existant: it went from "being processed" to "completed" in three weeks. It's only since my shipment has been registered with UPS that I have more details. Meanwhile, I've had 1150EUR up in the air, zero info
3) their staff is stone: three full days after my order someone really weird from digital river phoned me to collect my address details...I already entered it online! The tone of his voice, and the wording of his questions did sound like the guy was stone.
4) they lie: they claimed a 1-2 weeks delivery...I'm entering week 4 and still waiting.

If you can avoid Digital River, do avoid them, they are not serious.

harryp21
12/9/13

I have been using the Digital River companies RegNow and SWreg for about 14 years. They give good service, and are fairly easy to set up. In that time I have never had any transaction from my websites compromised, their security is excellent.
The one thing that prevents a 5 star rating is their customer support. Whenever I've sent a "Contact Us" support request, I have not received an answer. They must think that if they ignore you, you'll eventually find the answer. I usually have, but after a lot of wasted time and frustration that could have been averted by the courtesy of a simple answer from them.

michaelk47
10/9/13

I didn't manage to do business with them, but their sales team has been pompous and condescending. If that is a SALES team, whose job is to promote their product, and has all the motivation to please the customer, I can't imagine how their support team would be. Not impressed at all.

wader
7/2/13

Nothing this site sells works--it's all garbage. Trying to resolve your issue through their posted solutions doesn't work either. Good luck trying to speak to someone about your problem--perhaps all the support staff has drowned in their own digital river. It's pretty simple, deliver what your selling. I'm going to my credit card company to get my money back.

petert26
7/1/13

I used to license a lot of code from vendors who used Digital River for payment processing and marketing.

The past couple of days I had been trying to license a piece of code for $14.02. The transaction kept failing whether or not I tried a credit card (!!) or PayPal.

I spoke to their customer service representative this morning who informed me that only if I reversed charges which I had disputed in 2009 for $60 (code which did not work as described) would I be permitted to make the current license purchase.

I informed the company's agent that I would not accede to waiving my rights as a consumer.

Digital River's extortionist tactics appear to have been copied from an Al Qaeda terrorist manuals. I will NEVER do business with ANY company affiliated with them.

Tangentially, prior to 2005, I used a credit card kept on file at Digital River for small software purchases from boutique, niche coders in different parts of the world. It wasn't until I rescinded my statements with purchases for taxes one year that I saw I had over a thousand dollars in "mini-charges" from companies I never heard of or had done business with.

Maybe it was a coincidence. But Digital River was the only on-line company that had my credit card information during those years.

Since that time I cancel my debit/credit cards once a year and replace them with new ones to help avoid Digital Theft.

I do know that I have not had a problem paying vendors directly using PayPal and Authorize.net, ever.

karenf7
7/1/13

Stay away from Digital River! I could have bought my software directly from the manufacturer (Nuance) and saved myself a lot of frustration and wasted time. Three days after the product was supposed to have arrived it has still not been shipped. In two hours on the phone with Digital River no one could tell me when it will be shipped or whether they even have it in stock. No one knows anything and talking to their "customer support" is an exercise in futility.

jh121
5/30/13

Yesterday these morons (myCommerce a Digital River Co.) called my mom, she's 80, and told her that her computer was at risk and needed to be updated. She is pretty sure they said they had something to do with Microsoft Security. Unfortunately, she allowed them to get into her computer. I am glad she has only basic stuff on her computer, no personal information. Since I am over three hours away I was unable to help her remove any downloaded software, I suggested she call one of her friends that are computer savy. She did not understand what she was getting into when they told her it would cost her $319.95. She said the rep barely spoke English, odd for a company based out of Minnesota. I immediately told my mom to cancel her credit card so nothing could be charged against it. Today she received an invoice for the $319.95, it showed she was buying "Twenty-user Type for Aiseesoft Blu-ray Ripper" WTF!!!! I don't know what mom would even do with this software. I called them today to say that I did not want this charge to go through (knowing it wouldn't because of the canceled cc) because my mom did not need it. The person could barely explain to me what was going on. The rep said over and over that the charge would have to go through then I could call and they could refund the charge. Again WTF!! This may be a large company but in my book they are scum because they prey on elderly people. I am finding out that this has happened more than once.

bartonk6
4/24/13

I would not hire digital river to sell a snow cone. I've had recent dealings with them related to an AutoCad purchase. No reason to go into details....but the experience was worse than awful. If you have a way to avoid this company I suggest you do so.

patricko19
3/15/13

Digital River & Dragon should give seminars on horrible customer service.

First Digital River never sent me the physical shipment. Either they (or Dragon) calls me once every couple of months to sell me what I already bought, and I tell them I never received it, and of course, they do nothing.

Then I get my new IMac, so I want to set up all the software. For regular Apple software, is amazingly easy, and took less than 10 minutes of actual work for all Apple products (although some downloads took some elapsed time).

Dragon Dictate wasted almost 90 minutes of my time on the phone, and I won't get the software for another 24 hours. Ridiculous.

They KNOW I bought it and didn't get it. They initially said they can't do a digital download, and now they said they can, but it will take 24 hours. I had to wait and wait and wait on the phone, then speak to 2 people from some foreign land who don't understand enough English to know the simple problem even when I have order numbers and emails in front of them. The indian lady at Digital River said the best she could do was to refund the sale price and charge me full price.

Worst customer experience I've had in a long, long time.

lizw7
2/16/11

I ordered Microsoft Office Prof and Academic for MAC from this co. When I downloaded it, it was for Windows! I tried to get back to the company to tell them of the error and I can find no way whatsoever to communicate this problem. If I don't get satisfaction, I will dispute this charge via my credit card company and I will lodge a complaint with the BBB. STAY AWAY. I can't believe I got caught up in this mess. The claim to be a licensed seller of Microsoft products.

tomf4
5/2/10

I have had three dealings with site in the last few years. One was Corel; another was a Microsoft product I purchased and now trying to re download a Roxio product. I have sent a series of email and received a response each time which not only did not address the problem but contained incorrect information. It is obvious that canned answewrs are sent by people who have NOT READ THE QUESTION! These are the worst people I have ever come across by far.

ronk
EXPERT
10/2/09

Small print. Beware of "terms" and "Privacy Policies". Unless you take the time to read the very, very small print - you'll have your credit card info, IP address, and other bits of personal info flipping in the breeze.

This report on *DIGITAL RIVER* is long, but being well informed can save you time and money and might be worth the read
Digital River. DR is the e-commerce arm for THOUSANDS of online business, large and small. Digital River's privacy policy begins as follows:

_"DIGITALRIVER.COM PRIVACY POLICY: _IMPORTANT: PLEASE REVIEW THIS DIGITALRIVER.COM PRIVACY POLICY BEFORE SUBMITTING ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION TO DIGITAL RIVER THROUGH THIS WEB SITE.
_BY SUBMITTING PERSONAL INFORMATION TO DIGITAL RIVER THROUGH THIS WEB SITE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO THE COLLECTION, USE, TRANSFER, AND DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION AS DESCRIBED IN THIS PRIVACY POLICY. This Privacy Policy is effective as of April 4, 2007.

_"...With Whom Do We Share Your Personal Information?
Our Partners."

_"We also pass on to our Partner the privacy preferences you have expressed on our Web site. We provide your credit card information to our Partner if you have purchased a subscription that qualifies for automatic renewal. (You will be automatically re-billed for another course of purchase)."

I love this:
_" There are circumstances in which we may share the personal information in our databases with *unrelated third parties* that may contact you and have access to your personal information shared."

_"For example, we may disclose the personal information we collect on this Site WITHOUT notifying you when *WE*, in good faith, believe disclosure it is appropriate...".

Bottom line: When you buy a product online, and as you move into the payment facet, if *Digital River* is handling the purchase - read ALL the fine print - and if time is not critical, e-mail questions prior to hitting the PURCHASE button.