US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

angelop16

I've only had the movie stop maybe once or twice on me after commercials. (in 100 reviews)

marilynt6

If people are going to complain because of ads, then go pay Netflix, Amazon, etc. (in 35 reviews)

wickedt

Sure, there are a couple quick 30 second commercial breaks, but the commercials are often for other shows on Crackle. (in 56 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

bena52
5/30/16

I was a crackle fan when i first started viewing but lately the web site has gone to more comercials. You have to decide is it worth watching? I would say if you want to watch a web site that is very close to your local TV stations.
About 7 to 10 weeks ago i still thought how can they show all of these quality TV shows and Movies that Netflix or Amazon Prime does not have and make money? They are not by any means rock bottom shows or movies but i soon found out how they could afford to have the quality list of TV shows and Movies. About 8 weeks ago i did not mind the extremely short interuptions(very tolerable). The adds that came on were spred out. It was always the same comercial during the whole show and then were on for only my guess would be 15 to 30 seconds then back to your show or movie.
But now they are as freqently as on the tv maybe not quite as long but very close. I am very frustated with this new mostly local advertising
Concept that Crackle is now showing. Free yes worth watching depends how bad you want to see the TV show or Movie. A suggestion to Crackle offer the people a free version with advertizing and an upgrade without or very little advertising. Something that will work for both Crackle and there viewers??? How about it Crackle? You definetly have someone very talented that picks or buys the programing that you have.
B.Anderson
St Augustine, Fl

ericap12
5/29/16

Within 10 minutes of watching a movie, the ads come up and then the LG G5 ad just repeats, and repeats and repeats. So i have to shut it off. and you can resume. What the hell's the point?

stepheng63
5/27/16

Was watching a 1:48 movie tonight which stopped and returned to the beginning when there was about 20 minutes left. You can't fast forward and I'm not going to watch an hour over again. Most movies just freeze in the middle. What a waste!

kaseyc7
5/25/16

It's plays the same adds every five minutes. Makes you Want to shut it off. I am stubbornly watching a movie and it may be the last time I use crackle

ryank41
5/24/16

Plain awful. There is no such thing as free. Horrible streaming, movies cut out halfway through and the worst is the constant barrage of commercials, most of which are shown in duplicate or triplicate!! Plain annoying,ads are ruining tv. I'm happy to pay Netflix for a pleasant viewing experience.

lindar127
5/22/16

Crackle is rubbish. Never get answered. Never get anything fixed. Should be shut down.

tarar18
5/19/16

I was excited with some of the movies available especially the horror movies. Everytime I pick a movie to watch it keeps freezing due to some problem and I can deal w the ads,but there is no reason these movies should keep freezing and then u have to hit resume then it does it again 1 minute later. That just sucks, what's the point of free movies that u can't get to watch anyway. Please fix this issue or you'll be out if business quick

bretts32
5/13/16

I have had increasing problems in just watching any movie. It will stop within first few min & never work (network error) or I get blocked right out $#*! it I give up I'm wiping this app off never to return.
Here's something to think about is this app put out by the bigger payed apps for tv viewing just to piss us off so much we go & pay for viewing???

pault103
5/6/16

Movies are LOADED with advertisement.
its ridiculous how much there is...
Loosing interest into watching anything on Crackle.
PLUS its always jamming somewhere, have to resume the movies next hour, or sometime restart it the day after.

jenniferh180
5/6/16

why does crackle cut off in the middle of the show? Its happened for the fifth time!

rosaliek1
5/2/16

Why can you never get it right? If its not poor quality viewing( & not the content, whats on screen) it's pictures & no sound, vice versa, repeated shows, frozen screen or like today No Show at all???? Why???

franko35
4/30/16

With commercials every 5 minutes, Crackle has become excruciatingly painful to watch. Don't waste your time with it. It is terrible!

jr180
4/30/16

Crackle seems to have a list of a lot of movies that I would like to watch but every movie I start ends up with stream error or some other error and either just stops playing. The ads are annoying of course, but many times the movie playback crashes instead. I have been trying for weeks and haven't been able to completely watch a single movie. Good thing it's free or I would be demanding my money back. Crackle, will you please fix this problem? I would gladly pay a little for a movie that can play all the way through!

royo4
4/28/16

Extremely a lot of the same commercials. Old and low budget movies and shows. There are a lot of better movie apps out there. It's a waste of time with this app.

dannelleb
4/26/16

I was all excited to finally watch something for FREE. When it started with a commercial, I wasn't mad. I was 10mins into a horror film when it went to a commercial (again) yet I still wasn't mad because I thought it would be just ONE. NOPE! I had 6 or 7 commercials before it resumed! I continued to watch (more annoyed) and it goes to commercial after ANOTHER 10mins. It played a Men's Dove commercial THREE times in a row! If you choose to watch any movies, don't pick horror/suspense because it ruins the movie! Not sure how an app like this stays in business or how people can enjoy it!

mc487
4/25/16

Watched a movie, where every 10 minutes it show 5 commercials. Every time it was practically the same advertisement. I will never watch anything on this POS streamer again.

Tip for consumers: Just don't use it. Use anything else but this app.

davep84
4/25/16

Crackle rewrote their interface to force full volume autostart/autoplay of random junk show whenever you start the app. You can't stop the autoplay! I started the app with my 5 yr old daughter nearby and it started autoplayed with a violent movie FULL of cusswords, no warning, and I couldn't stop it until I forced a Roku reboot. Way to go, Sony!!! Please uninstall this worthless, crap app and send Sony Pictures (who owns Crackle) the message they deserve.

austins27
4/23/16

Terrible selections, too many ads and continuous error messages

pageb2
4/20/16

1. When I pick a program, it spins and spins and spins. Finally after 3 minutes, it loads a commercial. BUT then the program WONT LOAD AND YOU HAVE TO START OBER AND WAIT, then see the commercial. Then hope the program loadstone

2. The same commercials OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

TOUGH TO USE THIS CHANNEL!

Get it together!

sherriw11
4/17/16

I cannot stand even trying to watch a movie. The movie stops so often for so many ads that you want to shoot the television. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to use crackle is to to watch Comedians in Cars. That one show is Crackles savior. Other than that, don't bother.

davidr260
4/16/16

This app is completely broken. Movies freeze right after commercials, forcing you to relaunch the app, only to have to sit thru the same commercials all over again. Which itself is a revolutionary torture because Crackle sucks so bad that they only have 4 advertisements to show you. So a 2 hour movie becomes an arduous 4 hour test of your commitment to get to the end of the movie just so you can say you did it.

melissaj44
4/10/16

My reasoning why I find Crackle very annoying is that!

1. Same TV shows and some movies on the app and it seems as if they never switch it up or add new shows to their app but some movies.

2. Too many commercials like almost every 2 mintues you can't even watch anything.

So yes they do have some good movies on the app but you can hardly use it because it's almost the same $#*!. CRACKLE PUT MORE MOVIES AND SHOWS ON THERE AND HAVE LESS COMMERCIALS OR SOMETHING. I CAN'T STAND YOUR APP ANYMORE. SMH I wish i can give it NO ratings because of how bad I think their app is.

russs16
4/9/16

My wife and I started watching a movie and got so frustrated with ads every 2 minutes we shut it off. Deleting the channel from Roku!

ethanc19
4/6/16

People are complaining a lot about the ADs and only pointing out the bad, let's actually focus on what Crackle is, it provides you movie and tv shows at no cost, just sign up and go. I was on crackle when it first launched, video quality and ads were of poor quality, but they did have content I liked sometimes, over time the video quality has greatly improved and yes ads are a bit "irritating" but they are offering things for free, and they get paid by selling ads. They're accomplishing it, and as with anything, rome wasn't built in a day but two years ago to today, its now feeling like they're getting their model down pretty well, and I'm more and more impressed.

Good service, its free, it works and they do have content others may not and sometimes its easy to launch the app on my tv and watch something off their service.

purplem1
4/5/16

I was thinking, am I the only one this is happening too? This Crackle hijacking of my mind? The Crackle Brain Wash?

So, I opened a second browser and tuned in the same movie and just synced up the breaks and when one interrupted I started the other and just jumped ahead each time switching back and forth the Browsers.

Try that?

"Free" just comes with a little effort, and a little inconvenience and then less.... repetitive add brain washing...

lauraj48
3/27/16

I wouldn't even get on this if it wasn't for," comedians getting coffee". Love that show..hate crackle.

autumnf2
3/23/16

Found this channel on Roku when I decided to do away with Netflix due to Netflix blocking VPN's and proxy's. The shows on Crackle are older but it's SOMETHING to watch and have as background noise.
I have YET been able to watch anything to the end. Every time a break comes up...I don't get a commercials I just get "breaks" to show or movies starts at the very beginning again.

I got rid of the this channel...even at being FREE it's not worth it.
It's actually false advertising because you don't GET to watch "free movies and TV" because you can never see a show until the very end!

Tip for consumers: The tip for this site...don't waste your time.

timothyr25
3/19/16

Very annoying service. Reminds me of TV in the 80's when you had to endure ads every few minutes as you near the end of a movie you started. It will take you 3 hours to watch a 2 hour movie.

jasonh119
3/14/16

Hope you like the same three commercials a thousand times and don't even think about fast forwarding or you'll get caught in a commercial loop that literally does not end without exiting the program or turning the PS3 off. Watch list freezes the program also. Oh and a million other reasons not to use this. Really sucks that it's the only way to watch Powers. That show is screwed unless they get a different contract with another service provider.

UPDATE 4.26.16: They fixed the Watchlist so that it doesn't freeze up, but good luck adding. You have to go to their website to 'Activate' your account and yeah well... mine never activated. bahahahah

kenw61
3/11/16

Like clockwork! almost all movies I watch on crackle dump me out with 5-10 minutes until the end of the movie. Going back to the start & fast forward almost takes as long as watching the entire movie. I've tried pausing the movie a couple of times before the end comes up and it seems to work "sometimes" overall Crackle is the most frustrating user unfriendly streaming service

daltonj5
3/10/16

Sometimes I will watch a movie close to the end then shut the TV off and go to bed. But when I come back to it the next day and click resume, it goes back to near the beginning or somewhere else. And very difficult to fast forward to the point I left off.

philo25
3/10/16

goes to commercial the stearts movie from beginning again. maddening. freakem

jackm140
3/10/16

I agree with the many other complaints. This site has been around for a good while and still cannot deliver a good streaming experience. Movies often start from the beginning after an ad break as well as many other bugs to put up with. Crackle does not deserve to be on Roku and certainly not included in smart tv channel offerings.How does a service this bad continue to exist???

johnm705
3/6/16

Every time an ad comes up, the movie I'm watching starts at the beginning

zachm4
3/3/16

I cannot believe anyone advertised on this thing. Worked fine once and now I have not even been able to use it before it buffers and restarts (total garbage). Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu work great. Do the companies advertising even try out this crap? Not even worth the time to download for free.

neilf11
3/1/16

I would be more forgiving of the awful service Crackle provides if this was a start up company, new to entertainment or streaming video, but this is Sony Entertainment. They have both the ability and financial chops to hire a team which knows how to write Android apps. Many, including myself, have contacted Crackle on more than one occasion about the defects in their app. The best they can tell me is "we can't offer a solution at this time" or "you'll have to wait for the update". The app, after several "commercial breaks", almost always goes to the beginning of the movie or show and starts over again. Trying to navigate with the slide bar doesn't work. Sometimes, the video and audio get completely out of synch. Definitely don't try watching "Groundhog Day" with this app, as you could end up in a loop where you never finish the movie. In one case, a 120 minute movie I tried to watch repeated so many segments, after about 3 hours, I gave up and never did see how it ended.

And let's speak about the ads. More often than not, the same 15-30 second ad will run 3-4 times in a row during the same break, and then it will be repeated for each ad break, meaning you will see the same ad 40-60 times during a full length movie. It's either torture or brainwashing, or both, and I can guarantee the sponsor I will NEVER buy their product or go to their movie after that.

It's a darn good thing Crackle is a free service (not that I consider the time waster it is "free"), because as it currently stands (and its been like this for months) it is certainly pretty much worthless.

pauld142
2/26/16

With a user interface designed to be as repellent and frustrating as humanly possible, Crackle is probably single handedly responsible for the sale of more tranquilizers than any other Internet video channel. And if you do manage to unlock the mystery of navigating the service, be prepared to be blown out of your seat by unpredictable and dramatic increases in audio volume as you tune from one menu selection to the next. Crackle designers and engineers have zero regard for your intelligence, your comfort or your desire to visit them again.

rottenl
2/21/16

Crackle was a channel I'd go to occasionally on roku. When I started streaming Netflix on my smartphone I thought 'y not add crackle to change things up from time to time?' - think again. I start watching movies fine then after the second or third commercial it jumps back to a previous point in the movie. Commercials I'm fine with as that's the deal but y don't they just fix this issue they're clearly aware of as others have complained about it online. Do the advertisers know it's happening? I hope not.

roberta239
2/11/16

Some good shows but too many commercials. What they fail to realize is their commercials are counterproductive. I I am so sick of Jack-in-the-Box commercials but I will never try their new double jack, and I won't test drive a Prius.

quinns20
2/9/16

Does not work on PS4. Can't load without crashing, and why the hell does it start playing a show I don't even want to see when I get on? I can't think when they're blaring dubstep and moving images behind what I'm trying to select. I guess I shouldn't expect too much from a free service.

zb16
2/9/16

Never have any problems with this service on my PS4, it doesn't pause or anything, yes the amount of commercials can get annoying, but they have about the same amount as any other *free* streaming service out there, heck I think its about the same as hulu *which you have to pay for*
I watch shows on here consistently.

gregga5
2/7/16

They run commercials throughout the movie presentation.
Once was enough with this lousy service.
02/07/2016

traciek2
2/1/16

I binged watch a truly good show that was a crackle show "Chosen" until the last season of episode 6 and they cut it off half way through. That's BS! I understand this is free but WTF! Its' not the commercials that I mind so much, but when I have invested my day off to watch one of their shows and I "get fuc**d in the drive thru" that I object to. I'm going back to Hulu.

dank61
1/31/16

I sat through 3/4 of Untraceable and all the commercials just to have the movie suddenly stop streaming and tell me the movie "could not be watched at this time" or something. I would have to start it over. NEVER AGAIN !

trisho5
1/31/16

Why does Roku even offer this substandard channel? I've been trying to watch Comedians in Cars and it constantly pauses to buffer, or just completely dumps me out of the channel back to the Roku menu. No such problems with Netflix or Amazon. And I hate the way it immediately launches into some stupid show 2 seconds after you click on the channel so you have to quickly find what you're trying to watch. The overall interface on this channel is ridiculous. Jerry Seinfeld, please switch to Netflix!

johna458
1/30/16

My first review was a 2 because of really poor download. It seems in the evenings download speeds are much better. Mind you my wifi DL is 6 or better. Anyway, did a marathon of Chosen (wow) 10 episodes and only a couple of 60 second stalls. HD was not great, OK, but not really HD.

contessaj
1/27/16

I used to love crackle, because I could always go back and watch reruns of what I grew up with in an urban neighborhood. Our shows were Sanford and Son, Good Times, and The Jefferson's along with a few others. Since these shows are no longer available I do not watch crackle anymore. Just about everything other than All In The Family is for 80s generation and up. What about us older ones who enjoyed our childhood shows?

daved52
1/25/16

Twice now I am stuck in a commercial loop at the end of a movie. The movie starts at the beginning.Then when I try to find wherever the hell the movie stopped it gets stuck showing commercials over and over. It will show a couple of seconds of the movie then two or three commercials.

I get it, they need to show commercials, but this loop crap is bull$#*!. Fix it Crackle, because right now, you SUCK!

patrickh73
1/4/16

My anti-malware comes down like a falling piano on this site every time a javascript tries to run. This leads me to believe this site is a steaming pile and should be avoided at all cost. I'm going to amazon or netflix.

jennyb34
1/3/16

Why is there 7 adds in a half hour show also why is dool cutting out all the time please get rid of adds

151 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

34 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Crackle staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
See more Q&A
See more Q&A
Questions? Get answers from the Crackle staff and other customers.

Crackle?