US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

angelop16

I've only had the movie stop maybe once or twice on me after commercials. (in 93 reviews)

marilynt6

If people are going to complain because of ads, then go pay Netflix, Amazon, etc. (in 32 reviews)

wickedt

Sure, there are a couple quick 30 second commercial breaks, but the commercials are often for other shows on Crackle. (in 55 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

franko35
4/30/16

With commercials every 5 minutes, Crackle has become excruciatingly painful to watch. Don't waste your time with it. It is terrible!

jr180
4/30/16

Crackle seems to have a list of a lot of movies that I would like to watch but every movie I start ends up with stream error or some other error and either just stops playing. The ads are annoying of course, but many times the movie playback crashes instead. I have been trying for weeks and haven't been able to completely watch a single movie. Good thing it's free or I would be demanding my money back. Crackle, will you please fix this problem? I would gladly pay a little for a movie that can play all the way through!

royo4
4/28/16

Extremely a lot of the same commercials. Old and low budget movies and shows. There are a lot of better movie apps out there. It's a waste of time with this app.

dannelleb
4/26/16

I was all excited to finally watch something for FREE. When it started with a commercial, I wasn't mad. I was 10mins into a horror film when it went to a commercial (again) yet I still wasn't mad because I thought it would be just ONE. NOPE! I had 6 or 7 commercials before it resumed! I continued to watch (more annoyed) and it goes to commercial after ANOTHER 10mins. It played a Men's Dove commercial THREE times in a row! If you choose to watch any movies, don't pick horror/suspense because it ruins the movie! Not sure how an app like this stays in business or how people can enjoy it!

mc487
4/25/16

Watched a movie, where every 10 minutes it show 5 commercials. Every time it was practically the same advertisement. I will never watch anything on this POS streamer again.

Tip for consumers: Just don't use it. Use anything else but this app.

davep84
4/25/16

Crackle rewrote their interface to force full volume autostart/autoplay of random junk show whenever you start the app. You can't stop the autoplay! I started the app with my 5 yr old daughter nearby and it started autoplayed with a violent movie FULL of cusswords, no warning, and I couldn't stop it until I forced a Roku reboot. Way to go, Sony!!! Please uninstall this worthless, crap app and send Sony Pictures (who owns Crackle) the message they deserve.

austins27
4/23/16

Terrible selections, too many ads and continuous error messages

pageb2
4/20/16

1. When I pick a program, it spins and spins and spins. Finally after 3 minutes, it loads a commercial. BUT then the program WONT LOAD AND YOU HAVE TO START OBER AND WAIT, then see the commercial. Then hope the program loadstone

2. The same commercials OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

TOUGH TO USE THIS CHANNEL!

Get it together!

sherriw11
4/17/16

I cannot stand even trying to watch a movie. The movie stops so often for so many ads that you want to shoot the television. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to use crackle is to to watch Comedians in Cars. That one show is Crackles savior. Other than that, don't bother.

davidr260
4/16/16

This app is completely broken. Movies freeze right after commercials, forcing you to relaunch the app, only to have to sit thru the same commercials all over again. Which itself is a revolutionary torture because Crackle sucks so bad that they only have 4 advertisements to show you. So a 2 hour movie becomes an arduous 4 hour test of your commitment to get to the end of the movie just so you can say you did it.

melissaj44
4/10/16

My reasoning why I find Crackle very annoying is that!

1. Same TV shows and some movies on the app and it seems as if they never switch it up or add new shows to their app but some movies.

2. Too many commercials like almost every 2 mintues you can't even watch anything.

So yes they do have some good movies on the app but you can hardly use it because it's almost the same $#*!. CRACKLE PUT MORE MOVIES AND SHOWS ON THERE AND HAVE LESS COMMERCIALS OR SOMETHING. I CAN'T STAND YOUR APP ANYMORE. SMH I wish i can give it NO ratings because of how bad I think their app is.

russs16
4/9/16

My wife and I started watching a movie and got so frustrated with ads every 2 minutes we shut it off. Deleting the channel from Roku!

ethanc19
4/6/16

People are complaining a lot about the ADs and only pointing out the bad, let's actually focus on what Crackle is, it provides you movie and tv shows at no cost, just sign up and go. I was on crackle when it first launched, video quality and ads were of poor quality, but they did have content I liked sometimes, over time the video quality has greatly improved and yes ads are a bit "irritating" but they are offering things for free, and they get paid by selling ads. They're accomplishing it, and as with anything, rome wasn't built in a day but two years ago to today, its now feeling like they're getting their model down pretty well, and I'm more and more impressed.

Good service, its free, it works and they do have content others may not and sometimes its easy to launch the app on my tv and watch something off their service.

purplem1
4/5/16

I was thinking, am I the only one this is happening too? This Crackle hijacking of my mind? The Crackle Brain Wash?

So, I opened a second browser and tuned in the same movie and just synced up the breaks and when one interrupted I started the other and just jumped ahead each time switching back and forth the Browsers.

Try that?

"Free" just comes with a little effort, and a little inconvenience and then less.... repetitive add brain washing...

lauraj48
3/27/16

I wouldn't even get on this if it wasn't for," comedians getting coffee". Love that show..hate crackle.

autumnf2
3/23/16

Found this channel on Roku when I decided to do away with Netflix due to Netflix blocking VPN's and proxy's. The shows on Crackle are older but it's SOMETHING to watch and have as background noise.
I have YET been able to watch anything to the end. Every time a break comes up...I don't get a commercials I just get "breaks" to show or movies starts at the very beginning again.

I got rid of the this channel...even at being FREE it's not worth it.
It's actually false advertising because you don't GET to watch "free movies and TV" because you can never see a show until the very end!

Tip for consumers: The tip for this site...don't waste your time.

timothyr25
3/19/16

Very annoying service. Reminds me of TV in the 80's when you had to endure ads every few minutes as you near the end of a movie you started. It will take you 3 hours to watch a 2 hour movie.

jasonh119
3/14/16

Hope you like the same three commercials a thousand times and don't even think about fast forwarding or you'll get caught in a commercial loop that literally does not end without exiting the program or turning the PS3 off. Watch list freezes the program also. Oh and a million other reasons not to use this. Really sucks that it's the only way to watch Powers. That show is screwed unless they get a different contract with another service provider.

UPDATE 4.26.16: They fixed the Watchlist so that it doesn't freeze up, but good luck adding. You have to go to their website to 'Activate' your account and yeah well... mine never activated. bahahahah

kenw61
3/11/16

Like clockwork! almost all movies I watch on crackle dump me out with 5-10 minutes until the end of the movie. Going back to the start & fast forward almost takes as long as watching the entire movie. I've tried pausing the movie a couple of times before the end comes up and it seems to work "sometimes" overall Crackle is the most frustrating user unfriendly streaming service

daltonj5
3/10/16

Sometimes I will watch a movie close to the end then shut the TV off and go to bed. But when I come back to it the next day and click resume, it goes back to near the beginning or somewhere else. And very difficult to fast forward to the point I left off.

philo25
3/10/16

goes to commercial the stearts movie from beginning again. maddening. freakem

jackm140
3/10/16

I agree with the many other complaints. This site has been around for a good while and still cannot deliver a good streaming experience. Movies often start from the beginning after an ad break as well as many other bugs to put up with. Crackle does not deserve to be on Roku and certainly not included in smart tv channel offerings.How does a service this bad continue to exist???

johnm705
3/6/16

Every time an ad comes up, the movie I'm watching starts at the beginning

zachm4
3/3/16

I cannot believe anyone advertised on this thing. Worked fine once and now I have not even been able to use it before it buffers and restarts (total garbage). Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu work great. Do the companies advertising even try out this crap? Not even worth the time to download for free.

neilf11
3/1/16

I would be more forgiving of the awful service Crackle provides if this was a start up company, new to entertainment or streaming video, but this is Sony Entertainment. They have both the ability and financial chops to hire a team which knows how to write Android apps. Many, including myself, have contacted Crackle on more than one occasion about the defects in their app. The best they can tell me is "we can't offer a solution at this time" or "you'll have to wait for the update". The app, after several "commercial breaks", almost always goes to the beginning of the movie or show and starts over again. Trying to navigate with the slide bar doesn't work. Sometimes, the video and audio get completely out of synch. Definitely don't try watching "Groundhog Day" with this app, as you could end up in a loop where you never finish the movie. In one case, a 120 minute movie I tried to watch repeated so many segments, after about 3 hours, I gave up and never did see how it ended.

And let's speak about the ads. More often than not, the same 15-30 second ad will run 3-4 times in a row during the same break, and then it will be repeated for each ad break, meaning you will see the same ad 40-60 times during a full length movie. It's either torture or brainwashing, or both, and I can guarantee the sponsor I will NEVER buy their product or go to their movie after that.

It's a darn good thing Crackle is a free service (not that I consider the time waster it is "free"), because as it currently stands (and its been like this for months) it is certainly pretty much worthless.

pauld142
2/26/16

With a user interface designed to be as repellent and frustrating as humanly possible, Crackle is probably single handedly responsible for the sale of more tranquilizers than any other Internet video channel. And if you do manage to unlock the mystery of navigating the service, be prepared to be blown out of your seat by unpredictable and dramatic increases in audio volume as you tune from one menu selection to the next. Crackle designers and engineers have zero regard for your intelligence, your comfort or your desire to visit them again.

rottenl
2/21/16

Crackle was a channel I'd go to occasionally on roku. When I started streaming Netflix on my smartphone I thought 'y not add crackle to change things up from time to time?' - think again. I start watching movies fine then after the second or third commercial it jumps back to a previous point in the movie. Commercials I'm fine with as that's the deal but y don't they just fix this issue they're clearly aware of as others have complained about it online. Do the advertisers know it's happening? I hope not.

roberta239
2/11/16

Some good shows but too many commercials. What they fail to realize is their commercials are counterproductive. I I am so sick of Jack-in-the-Box commercials but I will never try their new double jack, and I won't test drive a Prius.

quinns20
2/9/16

Does not work on PS4. Can't load without crashing, and why the hell does it start playing a show I don't even want to see when I get on? I can't think when they're blaring dubstep and moving images behind what I'm trying to select. I guess I shouldn't expect too much from a free service.

zb16
2/9/16

Never have any problems with this service on my PS4, it doesn't pause or anything, yes the amount of commercials can get annoying, but they have about the same amount as any other *free* streaming service out there, heck I think its about the same as hulu *which you have to pay for*
I watch shows on here consistently.

gregga5
2/7/16

They run commercials throughout the movie presentation.
Once was enough with this lousy service.
02/07/2016

traciek2
2/1/16

I binged watch a truly good show that was a crackle show "Chosen" until the last season of episode 6 and they cut it off half way through. That's BS! I understand this is free but WTF! Its' not the commercials that I mind so much, but when I have invested my day off to watch one of their shows and I "get fuc**d in the drive thru" that I object to. I'm going back to Hulu.

dank61
1/31/16

I sat through 3/4 of Untraceable and all the commercials just to have the movie suddenly stop streaming and tell me the movie "could not be watched at this time" or something. I would have to start it over. NEVER AGAIN !

trisho5
1/31/16

Why does Roku even offer this substandard channel? I've been trying to watch Comedians in Cars and it constantly pauses to buffer, or just completely dumps me out of the channel back to the Roku menu. No such problems with Netflix or Amazon. And I hate the way it immediately launches into some stupid show 2 seconds after you click on the channel so you have to quickly find what you're trying to watch. The overall interface on this channel is ridiculous. Jerry Seinfeld, please switch to Netflix!

johna458
1/30/16

My first review was a 2 because of really poor download. It seems in the evenings download speeds are much better. Mind you my wifi DL is 6 or better. Anyway, did a marathon of Chosen (wow) 10 episodes and only a couple of 60 second stalls. HD was not great, OK, but not really HD.

contessaj
1/27/16

I used to love crackle, because I could always go back and watch reruns of what I grew up with in an urban neighborhood. Our shows were Sanford and Son, Good Times, and The Jefferson's along with a few others. Since these shows are no longer available I do not watch crackle anymore. Just about everything other than All In The Family is for 80s generation and up. What about us older ones who enjoyed our childhood shows?

daved52
1/25/16

Twice now I am stuck in a commercial loop at the end of a movie. The movie starts at the beginning.Then when I try to find wherever the hell the movie stopped it gets stuck showing commercials over and over. It will show a couple of seconds of the movie then two or three commercials.

I get it, they need to show commercials, but this loop crap is bull$#*!. Fix it Crackle, because right now, you SUCK!

patrickh73
1/4/16

My anti-malware comes down like a falling piano on this site every time a javascript tries to run. This leads me to believe this site is a steaming pile and should be avoided at all cost. I'm going to amazon or netflix.

jennyb34
1/3/16

Why is there 7 adds in a half hour show also why is dool cutting out all the time please get rid of adds

donalda29
1/3/16

Not a good chanel movies only play partial of the movies then reset to the beginning so you have to fast foward to where it cut you off to finish watching the movie

goopg
1/2/16

This viewer is impossible. Every command - move forward, move back, full-screne, pause....all cause the player to restart the clip. It's very frustrating. How to avoid?

endymionn
12/30/15

Aside from numerous, repetitive, and loud commercials, the programming is sub-par, but the real fail and sin is the Roku channel. Some geniuses at Roku decided that rather than providing you content from which to choose, the first thing you should encounter is video, chosen for you, which begins playing immediately. Worse than that is that it plays in the background while you're browsing and can't easily be stopped. Easily the worst interface created for a content channel. Thanks for choosing for me, Crackle. I really don't like to choose for myself.

Tip for consumers: Keep your volume low. Commercials will blow you away.

pamelat10
12/28/15

Able to download one night and watch a tv program but the nexy night was able to download but the program would not play Same with all the movies and other programs.

bingb9
12/28/15

Way too much buffering.
This slow buffering makes trying to watch a movie on crackle a nearly impossible endeavor.
le task
I am uninstalling crackle

molliea
12/18/15

I watch old sitcoms because they have good entertainment value and humor without the raunchy stuff. If crackle could pick up on what we watch and advertise shows that we may actually watch it would be less offensive to us viewers and more effective in accomplishing their marketing goals. One commercial for a crackle series said "I want to f#@! your face." I may be frugal, but I will not tolerate such blatant disregard for decency.

rodneyd13
12/16/15

If you don't like the commercials then go somewhere and pay.

byronv2
12/14/15

I love the Larry Sanders Show, a TV program (originally aired on HBO) about a late night TV program. The episode I just watched starts with 90 seconds of ads, the most annoying being a Red Cross ad, which is too bad because the ad starts to make the RC seem annoying. The ad is just too long. Then it repeats a number of times throughout the episode. Also, ads are not placed in a logical manner. If ads were spaced as they are on most broadcast TV shows then Crackle would be fine. But they are not. They intrude and turn a viewer against the product being advertised. Do advertisers know this? I can't watch Crackle because of this. Too bad.

jona1547
12/2/15

The content is good but the commercials are so intrusive, badly timed and relentlessly repetitive that the viewing experience is a mind numbing experience. Frequently there is 6-7 minutes of content followed by almost 4 minutes of commercials repeating the same commercial back to back and over and over and over again the same commercials.
They should follow the Plex or Playon models. This is not a viable broadcast in its current format.

patr2343
11/22/15

is microsoft paying you for the positioning of your thumb???

crackles
11/15/15

Ok. At first, I thought my Verizon FiOS 50/50 was jacking with me. But then, Task Manager showed my Network utilization was 0%, and Crackle was just showing the Crackle Wheel Of Death circle. Come One! I don't mind the ads. But at least step up on your end and deliver the content!

151 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

32 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Crackle staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Apologies in advance for the length of this, aswell as the harshness of what I have to say, but I feel it needs to be said since there doesn't seem to many avenues to get your attention any more:

Why did Crackle stop treating it's Australian customers/viewers with respect in regard to
Days Of Our Lives, and start treating us with contempt, completely failing at any form of
public customer service after July 2015 - the last time anyone got a response to comments &
questions by an actual human being with a sense of humour? Since then, multiple people have
asked for numerous technical issues plaguing your website to be fixed, with not a single
response as far as I can see on the website. Nothing new has been posted since last year,
and our pleas fall on deaf ears, with many problems regarding mixed-up episode orders,
missing episodes, a wrong (read: old & previously expired) episode in place of a correct
one, episodes being removed 1 week earlier than they should have been (happened this past
weekend when 2 weeks worth of episodes were removed instead of 1, after I only noticed on

Friday that the expiry date for the newer episodes was the same as the legitimately soon-
to-expire ones, forcing me to watch 5 episodes in one morning so I didn't miss out on them, though another viewer in my household who was away over the weekend did, much to their distress & anger), failing to make the latest episodes available on the Monday when they are supposed to be put up (happened today, and still are not available at gone midnight), not to mention the constant problems even accessing the website lately.

It's been an uphill battle just to get Crackle to load recently, with at least 3 different
error messages (Initialization Failure, Uh-oh, something went wrong, & Rats, this video is
unavailable, even when the video is actually available right after the message appears)
making it even harder to get through a week's worth of episodes in one day, not knowing if
or when they would expire as there was no indication either way in advance as to whether
the accelarated expiry date issue was intended or a mistake. Emails to customer service
via the website went unanswered as they always do, and no-one ever gets a response on
Crackle's Australian page anymore - it's like you just shut up shop and hope we'll all go
away and find something else to do - you don't seem to want us to watch Days Of Our Lives
as you make it impossible to watch anywhere else on the internet, yet can't provide us with
a functional website much of the time. Crackle used to be fairly painless to watch most of
the time, and I appreciated being able to continue watching my favourite longtime soap, but
lately it's become a massive pain in the arse, and the most frustrating thing is the people
running it don't appear to give a damn about us anymore - it's like they've fired any
competent social media staff they once had, along with a decent tech team to keep things
running smoothly and fix problems in a timely manner (considering how time sensitive DOOL
is with it's 4-now-possibly-3 week expiry dates, and replaced them all with a flawed
computer programme & a bunch of greedy lawyers who spend their days removing any
alternatives to watching the show on Crackle. We used to have a back up facebook page
where we could watch lower quality copies of the 2015 episodes we are currently viewing, in
the event of a technical stuff up on Crackle where it was impossible to watch some
episodes, but it was forcibly made to remove all episodes - thanks for nothing Sony. We
can't get them through torrents anymore as there are no seeds left, and you also took them
off YouTube, leaving us with nowhere else to see missed episodes.

Sometimes real life issues mean we end up falling behind with keeping up to date watching
them on Crackle, and it's a struggle to catch up, so if you have now, without warning,
reduced it to only 3 weeks worth of episodes at a time instead of a month, you have just
made it that much harder to keep up with a show many of us have watched for decades. All
we ask is to be treated with respect, and if things go wrong, to be kept informed about
when they will be fixed - not if - when, since it seems lately that most major problems
have not been fixed at all when it comes to episodes missing etc; they just expire and are
never seen again. If something is Crackle's fault, it should be rectified and the episodes
be made available again for a period of time. By making it all but impossible for us to
contact you about complaints and get an actual response, all you are doing is giving Crackle, and Sony, a bad name, and ensuring that people will stay away from your products and services unless they have no other choice, like DOOL fans currently, who have no-where else to go unless we want to skip 14 months worth of episodes and fork out money most of us can't afford for Foxtel, with their up to date episodes.

What's next, are we to go to the website one day soon and discover you have shut it down
without warning like in the UK, or just find that Days has been removed from the show list
for good, or at the very least, reduced to a shadow of it's former self with reduced
episodes (it used to be 7, now 5 per week) and shorter durations of availability? I wouldn't be surprised at all, since you apparently seem to think nothing of alienating an entire Australian fan base. The only way you could possibly make it up to us at this stage is to start giving a damn, answer your emails, and have an actual presence on the Australian facebook page so we can get answers, any answers, in a more timely fashion, so when there are technical issues which could result in episodes expiring without being fixed within days of expiry, we have some reassurance that you are working on the problems, not turning your backs on them...It's really not much to ask, in exchange for putting up with repetetive ads (seriously, how can you expect us to sit through the same one every single ad break? It would drive anyone crazy) and fluctuating picture and sound quality, plus the endless frustrations of a website which doesn't even load properly half the time...Most importantly, you could maintain a happy fanbase of DOOL fans who will continue to watch it as long as it's running. At the moment though, your bad practices are making that very hard to achieve, and tarnishing the Sony brand!.
3 minutes ago
I am affiliated with this business
I have no affiliation with this business
See more Q&A
See more Q&A
Questions? Get answers from the Crackle staff and other customers.

Crackle?