US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

joem1

Took to a bike shop for a tuneup too b/c gears were skipping, but minor adjustment and all good. (in 30 reviews)

johnk5

In my quest, I decided on the Motobecane Le Champ SL Titanium road bike. (in 21 reviews)

pinakim1

Thought this is a small business, they try to deliver a great customer service. (in 12 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

marks207
1/19/15

Just got my Boris X5 Fat Tire. ROCKS! If you don't want to break the bank...and yet don't want a crippled ride...buy it! Nice color. Decent specs. Rides super. I've got 7 bikes from BikesDirect...and NO I'm not family! They always provide the best deal and these days the bikes take 10 minutes to assemble...and then you're off! Isn't that what you want???

joem125
1/5/15

I decided I wanted to get a fat bike but I didn't want to spend a ton of money. I was very surprised to find a HUGE selection of fat bikes available from BikesDirect. Multiple manufactures and price ranges for everyone. I picked a bike with spec's that would have cost me 3x anywhere else. The bike shipped right away, was packed well and had not scratches or anything. I assembled it quickly and the only thing it needed was a bit more grease on the headset bearings. I took it out for it's first spin and it's awesome. I've showed the bike to many of my cycling friends and they are very impressed with it. BikesDirect has also been great to work with from a support standpoint. They quickly answered my email about which D-hanger to order to have a spare and when there was a bead issue with my tires after only 12 rides they sent me a new pair with tubes at no cost. Amazing support that I have only previously seen when working with a local bike shop.

Tip for consumers: The web site is a bit sparse when it comes to some of the bike details so you'll have to check out other sources like the manufacture web site or places like mtbr.com for more detail

paulk81
12/30/14

After deciding I wanted a cyclocross bike, I went to the bike shop I used to work for and even with my former employee discount, the price was a bit high in my opinion for what the bike level was. I bought the Motobecane Fantom CX from bikesdirect.com which had the same level of components as the other bike at the shop for $400 less! Again, I used to work at this shop and get a good discount, usually 10% above cost. The bike arrived at my door in two days after ordering and upon unboxing/building it, I was very happy with the quality of everything. While fine adjusting the rear brakes, I noticed the rear rim had a "dip" in it but it didn't bother me since it didn't cause the tire to rub against the brake pads. As a former bike shop repairman I've seen many a rim with a slight dip where the rim is welded together and it's usually not a problem. When I rode the bike, I was again very pleased with the fit and feel of the bike and function of its components. I did notice the dip in the rear wheel though when above 15mph so I contacted bikesdirect.com to inquire about warranty. I was asked to take a short video of the wheel spinning so they could see it, which I did, and they immediately responded with a tracking number of the new wheel they were sending me. That is great service! As a former bicycle shop employee/repairman of 5+ years, I can honestly say that the quality of bikesdirect.com product and service is outstanding. I read reviews for bikesdirect.com before purchasing and the ones that were negative were obviously written by people who don't know anything about bikes or by disgruntled bike shop owners. I hope this review will help to counter that.

Tip for consumers: Don't be fooled by bad reviews. Read them carefully to make sure a bad review is reasonable and not written by an idiot!

gregl27
12/29/14

I’ve been mountain biking for quite a few years. I wanted to get a FatBike, but really didn’t want to spend top dollar on a bike I may or may not like. After a little researching I came across BikeDirect.com. My wife and myself decided to both go with the Boris X7. I have to say all the great reviews I came across regarding the quality of the bikes, the great customer service are all very true. We’ve had the bikes for just about a month now and these bikes are the only bikes we are riding. Our “regular” mountain bikes are just sitting in the garage. This past weekend, I noticed a gritty noise coming from my freehub body. I sent an email to BD asking them if the rear hub is compatible with Shimano or Sram free hub body thinking replacement when this free hub body fails. Their response within 15 minutes was a new freehub body is in the mail. Amazing customer service. If anyone is looking for a great bike with amazing customer service, definitely check out Bike Direct.

srtc
12/28/14

Bought two 450HT's for the kids for christmas this year. Both arrived very rapidly and were exactly as listed on the website. Each bike had a very minor issue: One had leaking tube, other had a broken small plastic clip. After an email to BikesDirect support, replacement parts were in the mail THAT DAY and I had new ones in-hand with 3 days. No questions asked and I amazed at their response! I'm very pleased. As for bike quality, I was also impressed. I was skeptical because I bought one of the lower priced models. Quality is comparable to bike-shop bikes and MUCH better than big-box store junk. Going to order from them again, once I get some money saved. Nothing bad to say.

brandonm47
12/26/14

I ordered the Motobecane gran premio elite and couldn't be more happy. It was shipped extremely fast, and arrived in less than a week (even over the Christmas holiday rush). Bikesdirect packaged the bice nicely, it could have been hit by the UPS truck and still arrived in great condition. Nothing but positive reviews from me. Now if they could get the Montana Winter weather to be a little nicer, I would be thrilled; and pay extra for it.

Tip for consumers: Look to Bikesdirect before you look anywhere else.

steved58
12/23/14

I just bought my first bike from Bikes Direct and I'm happy with the product, shipping and service. I was mostly afraid that the bike would be damaged in shipping and I had no idea how the service would be. I ordered on a Monday morning and I got it Thursday morning (Florida to Illinois). The box was in mint condition. The bike was without blemish in the box and packed fairly well. On examination I believed I had a defective part on the bike and I emailed Bikes Direct about it. Turns out I was wrong and I figured that out before they got back to me. When I got an email back from Larry, he explained that this is how that particular part is, however, he had seen issues with this part recently so he sent out a replacement of a higher quality. I think this was a good move and showed he wanted to make sure I didn't have any trouble down the road.

I will be buying from Bikes Direct again based on my first dealing with them.

pinakim1
12/23/14

Thought this is a small business, they try to deliver a great customer service. Not only I bought a cool bike from them for a bargain price, but also when the got lost due to UPS, they created service request and finally I could get my bike. For this issue, they also sent me a surprise gift. Now they may not have a 24/7 customer service care; but they try to help with email.

pinakim
12/22/14

This site not only sells quality bikes for a bargain price but also they have a good customer service. I bought my bike and UPS kind of lost it and I picked it up after several days as they were showing incorrect delivery dates in tracking. However, upon contacting Bikesdirect they created a service request with UPS. Finally as I suffered a delay they surprised me with a great gift. Moreover they always got in touch with me. As it's a small business they may not have 24 hrs customer service phone number but they communicate with email always.

bobbyd27
12/19/14

We ordered a 24 speed Motobecane road bike. I had it assembled by a local bike shop near my job. The LBS did a great job & I purchased a nice bike lock from them as well. The LBS spoke very highly of our new Motobecane bike. I took it for a short test drive to make sure every thing was good. I loved the smooth gear changes with the Shimano system. My son is away in college and he loves it, he rides it several days a week. I will definitely purchase another bike from bikesdirect.com in the future. Delivery was fast also.

danielt47
12/15/14

Good service and grate bang for the buck!
Personal I got Boris X7 knowing that i will be upgrading some components right of the bat. Bike box arrived slightly damaged but bike itself was OK inside .
All in all positive experience from correspondence i head with Bikes Direct they seam to be genuine, helpful and upfront.
Attached image is of a bike 15 minutes after delivery

Tip for consumers: I am from Canada so my advice to fellow Canadians is to get the bike shipped to one of the UPS depo near the border and go get your bike.
I was lucky i have a friend in the stats that was willing to forward the bike to me via UPS but it would of been just slightly more expensive for me to drive and get it, and i would of head it a whole week earlier had i done that. I would not recommend using the my US address bike box is quiet large and shipping will be expensive my shipping was 110 US plus

ranchb
12/12/14

Have not received my bike as of yet but Karla with customer service is amazing. I think she should get a raise and a company car (or bike) and her own parking space. Thank you so much!

chriss218
12/11/14

Had a super experience with BD - bought a Night Train Bullet after looking at other fat bikes in my local stores. I wanted front suspension (Bluto) as well as better hydro brakes and drive train. Nothing for the price I paid would have come close in the bike store. When I first researched BD I was looking for the scam and there isn't one at all. Check around, they are legit and you will end up saving and being happy!

williamb104
12/8/14

I just purchased my 4th road bike from Bikes Direct and would like to recommend them to all. The bikes all arrived safe, quickly and final assembly was not cumbersome. Email communication was fast and very satisfactory. All internet transactions should be as enjoyable.

lancel7
12/7/14

Took delivery on my Bikes Direct "Fatbike" about a month ago and can't say enough about the quality compared to price-point! Nowhere will you find a better deal or better customer service!

Tip for consumers: Seriously consider BD whenever in the market for a new bike.

chrisp93
12/5/14

Bikes Direct has the best product and Customer Service in the business!
I love my bike and plan on purchasing all of my future bikes from BikesDirect.
It is been my experience that they sell superior products at a greatly reduced price...
If buying is believing....Than I am a firm believer!
Thank's to all at Bikes direct for your immediate attention/service and fast delivery!
Cordially, Mr. Perkins, "AKA Happy Customer"

stevec92
12/2/14

When it came to buying a new bike, I have always been someone who believed you always got the best service from your local bike shop. I need to refine that claim by adding Bikesdirect.com. I recently ordered and received my first "fat bike" from them, a Motobecane Night Train. I had originally pre-ordered a different model, but decided to switch to the Night Train when one became available. The folks at BD were extremely accommodating and quick to answer questions both via email and voicemail. The transaction transfer was seamless and the bike was delivered quickly. I had a small issue with a bent part due to shipping damage, but BD sent out a free replacement the same day I made the call. The bike functions flawlessly, is better equipped and cost less than half the price of the bike I was looking at in my local shop. I honestly couldn't be happier. Thanks BD, job well done! ...SC

Tip for consumers: Be aware that some of the bikes sell out quickly or may be available for pre-order only. Patience and timely purchasing pays off, and it's worth it!

wesw9
12/1/14

I ordered the Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro. Everything came as advertised. The only tool I needed other than Allen wrenches and a screwdriver was a set of star heads to screw on the front brake disc. I've taken the bike on several short rides (10-15mi) and raced it twice. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Tip for consumers: If you preorder a bike that is not yet in stock, be ready to practice patience.

jcr
11/6/14

BikesDirect is the real deal.

I got the 2011 Motobecane Super Strada road bike.

SRAM Apex groupset, fast shipping--signature required due to high amount.

ajj2
10/28/14

Just bought a Gravity2 29er. The shipping took 4 business days -- site indicated 3-7 days. The bike was 90% assembled as the site indicated. It took me 1 hour to fully assemble with nothing but an allen wrench (oh yeah -- the pedals required a open end wrench) , including adjusting the brakes, inflating the tires and adjusting the seats and bar. The shifters took a small adjustment on front and rear derailers. This was so easy. I had originally planned to take to a bike shop, but no need to spend the extra $70-$100. The bike is perfect for the money considering the components. Great experience.

michaelk71
10/24/14

The long story follows: but the short story is that they were fantastic. The bike arrived when it was supposed to, in perfect condition, and with all parts. Their personal services (albeit through the web as there are no telephone numbers given) was quick, respectful, and to the point. You can't ask for more.

The long story. They had a fantastic deal on a Montebecan Cafe DX 50cm which I purchased for my wife. I ordered it on line using my credit card. I received a receipt within a few hours (even though I ordered it on a Sunday), and then received several follow up email concerning the shipping and set up. The bike arrived in the manufacturer's box and in perfect condition. I laid out all of the parts and began to assemble it. Though Bikes Direct notified me in writing that the instructions in the box were generic and would not necessarily apply to the bike received (all of which was true), setting it up was easy for any person that has a little skill with tools, some experience putting a wheel on a bike, and some common sense. But there was a problem: though it was a 50cm, it fit my wife more like a 54cm. Indeed my 54cm racing bikes fit her much better than did this bike. Though the bike was ideal for (it had everything she wanted including a light weight (about 20# as opposed to the 18# that the manufacturer stated), and the components were as described, we couldn't keep it because of the fit.

I contacted the company by email and they immediately responded. Though we discussed the measurements of the bike, my wife and I decided to return the bike. Bikes Direct was understanding, kind, and helpful in arranging the return of the bike for a full refund. An overall great experience even though it did not work out. And isn't that the time that the true nature of a business comes out?

pauln41
10/23/14

One star for bad organization, I bought a road bike from this place, after two days I got an email saying that it was shipped with an actual tracking #. A day after I get another EMAIL stating that: even though there was an email saying that it was shipped, the item was not shipped after making me wait TWO DAYS!! . One star for offering $50 off on the next item, but I don't want to order something and having the same thing done again.

rodc14
10/17/14

My bike had a bent wheel during shipping. They sent me another one immediately. Latter we found out the front fork was welded wrong and they again sent me a new carbon fiber fork because they were out of standard fork they are great to work with thanks to Larry in service.

fredc33
9/13/14

I bought a Gravity Bullseye Monster from BD. I ordered it over the July 4th weekend and it arrived on Thursday the third. Right out of the box my bike worked perfectly. No complaints here. A lot of bike for the money.equal to other 'entry level' Fat Bikes at $1300 to $1400. I Use my bike daily for improving my health. I have lost 20 pounds so far riding this monster. I would recommend Bikesdirect. com to anyone looking for a quality bike at decent prices.

ismaelv1
8/8/14

So far we have no complaints, just received our bikes, Motobecane Immortal pro all carbon bike, and a Kestrel evoke 3, also an all carbon bike.
only took four days to arrive and came 80 to 90% together, as stated on the website. I did the rest, but also took them to a local bike shop just for piece of mind.
The cool part after looking at both bikes and doing a professional setup for the both of us ( setting proper saddle placement and handlebar adjustment )
He looked smiled and said "WE DID GOOD" couldn't believe the
Price we paid and the top notch parts that were on them. Totally made us feel good!!
We have only ridden twice, and so far we're loving it, 14 miles on the first ride and 24 on the second ride. Looking forward to a lot more. Planning on a 50 mile ride very soon, so will get back and post again.
We've recommended the site to several of our friends, hoping they have the same experience as we did.
Only four stars because it's still way to early.

tracid1
7/29/14

I wanted a new road bike but I didn't want to break the bank and i found the Motobecane Mirage S and I absolutely love it! The company emailed me a nice email with assembly instructions the morning after I paid and the bike arrived to me in Alabama within 2 days! Their assembly videos were pretty easy although I did have my boyfriend help me and we had it put together in about 45 minutes. I would recommend this site to anyone (any I already have:)

youngm15
7/21/14

I thought they were honest but I was wrong! I had a hard time choosing a bike and when I eventually did, they bundled a worn-out machine for me. Spokes were bad and bent with creaking sounds. Tube was punctured! Totally disappointed.

albertp23
7/10/14

So far I cannot say anything good because Bikesdirect online does not accept my Visa credit card which is in good standing. BD is supposed to have a phone order line, but I got to an answer machine that says they will call back. Called four different times for no answer. NO call back in 4 hours. Their work day ended at 4 PM EST, and I didn't hear from them. They may be a good deal. but so far I have no deal. No deal is better than a bad deal, I guess.

mikes229
6/25/14

I ordered a Fat Bike from bikesdirect. I was less than half the cost of an equal bike in a bike shop. It was shipped the day after I ordered it; arrived 3 days after that. Super quality, sweet ride, and looks fantastic. All my riding buddies think it is a great bike and deal.

ernestt9
6/24/14

I recently purchased a Motobecane Elite FS Hybrid bicycle from BikesDirect and am happy to report complete satisfaction with the bike and BikesDirect. The bike was shipped quickly, in a sturdy carton and arrived as it was shipped. I have recommend the website and will continue to do so.

ians44
6/19/14

We bought the bike from this site because it said it would be easy to put together. The handle bars were shipped put together but upside down. The instructions did not match the bike I bought. I ended up going back to the website to figure out how things fit together by the picture of the bike. The bike was supposed to be shipped with a free kickstand, but it was not included. The front wheel is completely misshapen and when we contacted customer service we were told that this is not uncommon, so we should bring the wheel to a bike shop to get it fixed.

marcr18
5/30/14

Great experience with BikesDirect!!! I placed my order Wednesday morning and the bike arrived in flawless condition Friday noon. Great bargain when compared to other bikes of similar components.

Caution if you have not done much work on bikes…it will need some tweaking to get it just right.

coline2
3/27/14

I have brought two bikes from them and they have both been great.

I recently replaced a Trek that cost $900 with a Wins Fen and it is better than the Trek in every respect - components, weight, ride and appearance. But it only cost $699 and this is 15 years after I brought the Trek!

You pay roughly half what you would at a brick and mortar store and they only take about 25 minutes to assemble.

tomc57
3/11/14

I purchased two bikes from Bikesdirect.com. The first was a Motobecane road bike. I liked it because the components where better than anything I saw at a local bike store. To me the components are the most important. Frame weight, not so much for me. I am a big guy and losing weight would do more than loosing a couple ounces on a frame.

I also purchased a Motobecane 29er Mountain Bike.

I am more than pleased with both purchases.

rubeno1
3/5/14

Just got a Kestral rt1000 sl full dura ace w/carbon wheels, bars, & seatpost 20012 for $2596.00, this is an unreal deal!!! bought an immortal ultegra/105 mix 2 yrs ago, frame broke and they replaced it asap no hassle! these guys are real pros!

rickm58
3/4/14

Ok bought my Dawes Lightning 1500 in May, it's now September. I wanted to give the bike some time and ride a bit before I submitted a Review. I run triathlons and badly needed a new bike. After visiting several local bike shops, I quickly realized that what they had to offer was way out of my price range. Somehow I stumbled upon BD. I was apprehensive about buying a bike online because I knew how important fit was. I did lots of research on the components and BD (BTW they do have a phone and they are very cooperative). I used their sizing guide and after a few Emails back and forth and yes, a phone call, I got everything fitted up and ordered my bike. After ordering the bike I got an Email that said the bike would arrive in 5-7 days, three days later my new Dawes 1500 arrived via UPS. The bike was very well packaged, and 90% assembled. honestly, it was so near assembled a trained monkey could have finished putting it together so I don't know what all the complaining is about. Anyhow, bike assembled easily and I Took it our for a spin and it was perfect. The very next week I took the Dawes out for it's very first Traithlon. Finished first in my age group (55-59), 8th overall! Person best! Not bad for a " cheap" online bike! Unfortunately, the following week I had a nasty spill on The Dawes in an incident involving a free range dog. Neither the Daws o r myself of fared very well. I took t he bruised and battered Dawes to the bike shop for repairs. The sales jerks and some of the brand snobs in t he shop dissed. The bike for being a BD bike. But when I went to pick I t up, the service tech told me confidentially that the bike was as good or better than the bikes they were selling for twice the money and in his opinion it was an excellent bike. I ride with a local bike club and I have no problems keeping up with them and as a ma Tyrrhenian of fact, the Dawes gets several comments on how great it looks and I'm constantly asked where I got it, some are surprised to learn it's a BD bike. So basically here's what I got out of the experience, (1) do your research, you're buying the bike online, you can't touch or see the bike, (2) pay close attention to the sizing guide, and ask the BD people to help, they will, (3) understand you're buying the bike online, one of the reasons it's inexpensive is there is no middle man, you are t he middle man, you're going TP receive the bike in the same condition. The LBS receives theirs, partially assembled, be prepared to do some assembly, (4) be prepared for some brand snobs to try to diss your bike, just look at them and smile and think to yourself, P T Barnum once said there is a fool born every minute and you're looking at one, (5) enjoy your née bike, and while you're in the pace line, ride with the confidence and knowledge that with every turn of the pedal you're riding on a bike equally as good as most of the bikes that coated half as much. Would I recommend BD, darn straight. As a Metternich of fact, getting ready to buy my wife a new bike. From BD and more likely my next. Bike will come from. Them as well.

garyr24
1/14/14

If you're looking for great price great service by your bike from them I have bought 2 Motobecane,a road bike and I just bought a Cyclecross with Shimono Ultegra 6800 disc brakes carbon stem fork and bars for just $1400 shipped my friends can't believe what I paid comparable to like $3000 plus bikes .

tylerb24
1/8/14

Sorry to say this, but I got shipped a bike I can't ride. The forks where chipped and the top right fork is bent. I've Hurd great things about this place and am going to review how there return policy is like. Also there costumer service. It took 7 days for it to ship. Not bad at all for how far it was shipped. Package was shipped at 8:20 and emailed bikes direct at 9:30. I'm hopping for a quick return.

johns613
12/19/13

I ordered a Motobecane Gran Turismo from bikesdirect.com and I'm more than pleased with their service and what I got for my money. The headset was over-tightened out of the box, but I adjusted it and it's no worse for the wear. The XT rear derailleur & Dura Ace bar end shifters are superb. The frame seems to be very high quality. I've ridden it over some very rough cobblestones and the frame took the beating, no problem. The wheels are heavy, but strong. They were very true out of the box and held true under the cobblestone pounding. Delivery took six days. The staff responded within a day to each of two queries I e-mailed them. This is my third steel frame bike. Unless I'm careless around thieves again, I don't expect to ever need another bike. You're required to take delivery in person. No drop-offs.

benjaminp18
12/7/13

Cheap bikes, easy to assemble, what else can you ask for. I have asked around and a lot of people get their bikes assembled in shops. It is so easy people. Just do it yourself

paull55
11/16/13

I purchased a Motobecane Fantom FS 29r XO equipped a year and half ago $2,200.
The KMC chain hollow pin broke repeatedly from the start. The shifter cables, both had to be replaced; They kinked inside and steel stranded cable unraveled inside the actual finger shifters and the tubing, within 6-8 months of ownership. The handlebar was small 550 mm. The bike purchase maybe saved you $400 over a local bike store. The bike isn't entirely XO equipped, just the shifters and derailers. The crank arm is FSA, nothing special. They ignored me when I asked for a free Jersey of Motobecane to wear at races... They need representation but they said it was a liability issue :0 and they ignored when when I told them their cables were of poor quality and I should get reimbursed. I had to fix this myself multiple times because the cable were just stretching and I didn't know why so the shifting was bad until I replace . A
Just be ready to replace a couple parts and tighten EVERYTHING because most things are pretty loosely put together. The finish is primer grey so they are saving from having fancy paint. I sprayed over the ugly decal with matte black since it's been painted over with a clear coat and I redesigned a decal and put Motobecane back on reversing the colors. hope this helps. Okay deal, okay bike. Not a steal of a deal, w/ no dealer support.

tomv10
11/15/13

I am a single speed mountain biker and was riding a custom built steel rocky mtn 29, with all the upgrades you could want.
•Tubing: Custom-drawn Reynolds 725 steel tubeset
•Fork: Fox 32 F29 RL w/100mm travel
•Drivetrain: RaceFace cranks
•Wheels: Shimano M525 hubs laced to Stans tubless Disc rims
•Brakes: Avid Juicy 3 discs (160mm f/r)

Over 2k invested and over the course of the last 5 years, I have blown out the seals in the fork 3 times, bent my front rim beyond repair, replaced with stans tubless, and have rebuilt the Juicy brakes 2 times. I am hard on my stuff, I recently cracked my frame and sent it back to Rocky Mountain for a replacement.

I ride 2-3 times a week mostly single track and was really jonzing for a ride. I just could not wait around for a month for a new frame. I started looking for a back up bike and did not want to spend a ton of money.

I was looking on Ebay for some used 29ers but I needed a small frame, wanted steel and could not really find a selection in anything decent. I started looking at some of the online bikes sites like performance and Nashbar. I had ordered a KHS solo one single speed, soft tail from Jenson too about 10yrs ago for about $400, and had a great experience so I was open minded. I did not know Bikesdirect but they had a nice single speed steel dawes for $350, nothing fancy but the price seemed too good to be true. It was, they only had a 19 and i was a 15.

So I decided to settle, since it was only a back up and start looking at aluminum frames. It came down to the BIKESDIRECT gravity and the Nashbar singlespeed 29er. The Nashbar got great reviews but it was $400 plus shipping it had an also had an aluminum frame and steel hard fork. At first, I was hestitant to buy a Gravity, I had never heard of it, but after another week of research and soul searching, and riding my wifes 26er I decided to pull the trigger on the BIKESDIRECT gravity singlespeed 29er.

I went for the flat black 15.5 with the front suspension fork. Delivered for $399. I ordered on a Tuesday and the bike showed up that Friday. I spent about an hour putting it together with some simple hand tools and had to grease and silicone the brakes, the headset and the cranks but other than that, it was set to go. The only thing that was a little tricky was getitng the mechanical disc brakes to align so they did not rub. Not a big deal, I have a stand and just had to make some minor adjustments. NOTE: . If you are not good with bike tools, probably best to go to a shop, but it is not a hard bike to work on if you have insight and tools.

I rode it around the neighborhood, jumping curbs and riding up inclines, the fork worked great and the bike was a blast. The next day, I brought over to my local single trace and put it to the test. Is the aluminum as soft as the steel on the bumps, no, but did the bike work great and was it fun to ride, oh yea. Only upgrades were shimano pedals and a bigger saddle. I am sure that I will get a lot of fun miles out of this bike. If and when stuff goes bad, I will just replace it with better stuff.

eds114
11/11/13

I got my bike in three days. It arrived in perfect condition and the assembly needed was minimal. Great deal.

lanceb8
11/2/13

1. I purchased a Motobecane CXX from Bikes direct. Steel cyclocross frame and SRAM Apex components for $800. What a bargain. This bike is very nice, nicer than the two bikes I used for years and sold last month, a 1990 Bridgestone RB-1 and a 2007 Salsa El Mariachi. Granted both of those bikes are different than the CXX. I've been commuting on it every day for four weeks now, first week 28 miles/day then 13 miles/day. This is the perfect commute bike. It might be the perfect everything bike, unless you race *competitively* or weigh your bike more than you ride it.

2. The purchase was very smooth, I appreciate that they take the extra steps to verify identity.

3. Packaging was very good, everything was secure, nothing was going to get damaged in shipping unless some there was some real abuse by the carrier.

4. Very easy to assemble, but to be fair, I've put a half dozen bikes together from parts. I think it might be a bit daunting for someone not mechanically inclined.

5. I'd bet most of the bad reviews are from competitors selling the same thing with a name brand sticker on it for a lot more.

6. The website could use a redesign. It works well, but it looks old. That's why 4 stars, really the shopping experience and bike I purchased deserve 5 stars.

justinh44
10/12/13

Great place to get a bike when orders go correctly and you know your bike size.

I purchased a high end titanium 29er from them in the past, and it was a flawless transaction at a great price. The bike has been phenomenal.

I decided to share and comment on their Facebook post in order to get on the waiting list to order one of their new fat bikes. I shared the posting on the bike group that I administer on Facebook, and at least one of the members put an order in for one. I was psyched when they sent me a Paypal invoice and paid right away. After a few weeks, others I shared the info with started to get their tracking numbers. I had to email bikesdirect to find out if mine was on the way and it was then they informed me my bike was damaged in the warehouse and I could either get my money refunded or get a smaller size in a month! I had no choice but to get my money back.

It would have been nice to have more options or at least been informed without me having to do the chasing to get the info. I most likely won't be recommending them in the future.

wesw6
9/30/13

The bikes have fake suggested retail. After I got the bike I went into a bike shop to find out thAt there bikes did not cost that much more and they come with a lot of service and advice. Also the derailer hanger was bent out of the box and when into the spokes on the first ride which was my fault for not having it tuned by a bike shop. After having the bike shop fix the bike I took the gravity full suspension out on the trail and it rode like carp. The rear suspension was popping all over the trail. I waisted a lot of money on this bike. Go to your local bike shop and buy there.

annej4
7/30/13

So far, not great. They sent the wrong bike. Not a crazy error for any company, however, you'd think that I was trying to pull a great heist with the information they want in order to return the bike. They need a photo of the label and the box to confirm that it was the wrong bike. Not that it matters, because they won't send the correct bike until there is confirmation that the incorrect bike has been shipped. I can understand a company not wanting someone to get two items for the price of one; however, I am the one with the charge on my card for the order and now have to wait an additional, oh, two weeks-ish for the correct bike to arrive, when this was strictly a failure by the seller. So yes, I am a little miffed. The bike they sent did appear to be okay quality, though it was apparent based solely on color that the wrong bike was shipped in the first place, so I have never removed it from the box in order to make an assessment of its quality.

On the re-do, the company was supposed to ship the replacement (correct) bike to a different address than the original one -- my work address, instead of my home address. I own my own business, so this is a non-issue, and I didn't want to have to take off work several hours to sit around waiting on UPS again. Bikes Direct said they would ship to the alternate address, but nope. Didn't. So I again had to take off work to wait on the second delivery of the bike.

kenh23
7/1/13

Great! I was skeptical based on the price, but it all turned out well. UPS even damaged the front tire, and after sending pics, bikesdirect sent new hires. Fantastic to do business with. I have already recommended to others and won't hesitate to buy from bikesdirect again.

michaelg63
6/15/13

I've been shopping for a new road bike for the better part of six months. Every time I go into a bike shop, they tell me to look online, figure out what I want, and they'll order it for me.

So at a friend's recommendation, I go to bikesdirect.com Lots to choose from, but not sure about the name brands on the frames. I do a bit of research, and find the bike I want. I go to order it, and they're sold out!

They tell me to check back in a month, and I do. This time they have it in stock in my size. I ordered it, and it arrived on Thursday of this week.

The bike was well packed, and in perfect condition, practically ready to ride. You do have to assemble it, but if you have ever assembled a bike from a factory shipment you won't have any problems. The wheels were trued perfectly, the bike went together easily. It may have taken me more time to unpack it than to assemble it. I took it to my local bike shop to have them do the once over on the drive train and make some minor adjustments. The guys in the bike shop were in utter shock when they saw the quality of the bike I had just purchased and how much I paid for it.

I rode it 20 miles on it's maiden voyage today, and I was thrilled with it. It is everything advertised on their site and then some.

Don't be fooled by bike shops who hot-mouth this business; the days of overpaying for a crappy bike are over thanks to bikesdirect.com

tomw32
6/10/13

Blown away! I ordered a Motobecane 29er for my daughter for her birthday. Bike came in a few business days (free shipping). It took me 20 minutes to put it together. I did a test ride and everything was perfect! We got a $600 bike for $299 and no hassles. My local snobby bike shops won't even talk to me when I walk in the door. Sorry guys; your loss.

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the BikesDirect staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Yeah, they do have really good deals. Do you know if you need to have it built or can you just do it yourself if you have enough knowledge? Just wondering how easy it is
6/21/10
bobc3
A: Bought a Road Bike for $500., paid local shop $40. to assmble and tune. Shop owner was shocked at how little I paid for the bike, thought it was a $1000. bike. Thanks bikesdirect.
6/21/10
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

8 Photos for BikesDirect