US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

joem1

Took to a bike shop for a tuneup too b/c gears were skipping, but minor adjustment and all good. (in 32 reviews)

benjaminh26

Oh, and excellent customer service and communication through email. (in 16 reviews)

johnk5

In my quest, I decided on the Motobecane Le Champ SL Titanium road bike. (in 21 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

joaom2
2/27/15

I’m a 50 year old Brazilian guy, and a experienced cyclist with 15 years of competitions when I was young. I purchased two Gravity 27,5 during my vacations last year in USA. The first for my wife, in May, and the second to my daughter, in December, this last with hydraulic brakes. Spending U$1.000 for both, they were a great bought. The delivery was on time, the bikes in perfect state, and until now they are working perfectly. My with, that suffers with back pain, saw her pains disappear with the new bike. Scaling about 13 kg, they are not too light as announced, but I can say that is the best weight and components we can buy for the value. In my next travel I will by a speed bike, to alternate the use with my old Stumpjumper.

jamesd130
2/16/15

I purchased a Gravity 29Point3 18 months ago. I am 230lbs so the bike supports quite the load, and last year, I rode every month (some were cold rides) and other than the chain break, which was replaced by Bikes Direct without issue, the bike has been great. Small adjustments here and there that come with using a bike but I love it. I have had at least 2 friends that have since purchase Bikes Direct bikes and I am eyeballing a full suspension upgrade. I just wanted to say thanks and I love my bike.

Tip for consumers: Best deals I could find anywhere component for component.

benjaminh26
2/10/15

Got a 2015 Boris the Brute fat bike delivered last week. What an awesome bike. Super fun to ride in the snow and slush around here right now. It has the Rockshox Bluto fork, which makes it ride and feel perfect and very comfortable. The hydraulic brakes are fantastic, the seat comfortable. It took me about 1/2 hour to put together without instructions (check Youtube for the front brake adjustment - nothing rubs on mine, and everything is perfect and smooth as silk, shifting, etc.) I'm grateful for Bikesdirect, as I would not have bought a fat bike if I had to get it from my local bike shop, as they were out of my price range. Even this was a stretch, but ... I'm stoked on the bike, and highly recommend spending the extra money on a little more high end components, that come on the Boris the Brute. You may never go back to any other bike. I believe in supporting your local bike shop, which I did when purchasing my mountain bike (2014 Trek Fuel ex7 w/ icespiker tires - yes! winter riding!) but wouldn't have been able to afford a fat bike if it wasn't for Bikesdirect.com (maybe the local bike shop prices will be dropping now that these bikes are available?). If you need a bike right away, go to the local bike shop, but if you don't mind waiting a few months, and easy assembly, definitely don't hesitate to buy from Bikesdirect. I'm not a bike mechanic, and just had standard tools (no pedal wrench, etc. - but I did happen to have a Torx T25 for the front disk, because I work on my chainsaw). If you have a few allan wrenches and that Torx T25, you should have your bike together and smooth easy in less than an hour. By the way, the Boris the Brute kicks asssss!!!!!!! Super fun to ride! Oh, and excellent customer service and communication through email. Thanks everyone at Bikesdirect.com!

johnz30
2/9/15

I purchased a 2013 Motobecane Fantom Trail Ultra Fly 1•32 early in the spring of 2014. I did so because I was returning to mountain biking after a nearly 15 year absence and wanted the best bike I could get, but I couldn't see dumping 5 grand into one if I couldn't actually hack riding after so long.

The components list (I went for the SRAM package- always loved them) and Kinesis frame (I'd never stopped keeping up with the sport, and was well aware that Kinesis makes EVERYONE'S frames-Trek, GT, etc.) made my decision for me. And I have ridden it to a pulp in all four seasons every year here in North Eastern Pennsylvania continually since. This bike is virtually bombproof.

Bikes Direct provides an exceptional value and fantastic service in that they allow those of us on a tighter budget who have been in love with the sport since it's inception the ability to continue riding.

If I hit the lottery tomorrow, I won't be blowing it on a couple Treks or Cannondales, I'll be blowing in on TONS OF BIKES DIRECT BIKES.

I will never buy from another manufacturer as long as Bikes Direct exists. My five year old son is rapidly becoming a fan of riding and I always teach him the value of a dollar, so next generation is a lock.

I will continue to convert Brand name snobs by extolling the virtues of Bike Direct. Let the name brand snobs pay more than they have to on bikes, then spend valuable riding time working extra hours to pay off the debt. Me? I'll be riding my Bikes Direct Motobecane well into the next decade.

Tip for consumers: If you don't know what size bike you need, or how to figure out what size bike you need, contact Bikes Direct. They will help you through the process.
Here's the link to their sizing tips page.

scottw52
2/9/15

This review is based entirely on my personal experience with the whole process of obtaining a bike from Bikes Direct.
First the Bad:
I ordered a 29ER 4BY4 SRAM X9 30 speed full suspension bike and was able to finally ride it exactly 3 months later. This was not all Bikes Direct's fault since the dockworkers union and management were moving like molasses (right during Christmas rush) on shipments coming in. I received the bike a full 2 months after ordering. Another reason for the delay was I had to take it to a bike shop because neither front nor rear shock would "lock out" as advertised. I was never able to talk directly with a bikes Direct tech person, I had to communicate with email only and it sounded like the general response for faulty equipment is it take it to your local bike shop instead of providing some basic troubleshooting on your own. The front shock was low on oil and the shop corrected that by filling with the correct amount (but it still never locked out fully like my old Suntour did). The rear shock, I was told by the local bike guy (as he was evaluating the Monarch RT3 and simultaneously conversing on the phone with the Rockshox rep) that this was a custom shock built for this particular Motobecane model and they could not just ship me a replacement; the original one (that had a manufacturing date of 1 month prior to my order, according to the shock's serial #) had to be shipped back to the factory and examined/rebuilt at their discretion. When I finally got word from the local shop that my bike was ready, neither front nor rear shock completely locked out and they were not supposed to, as implied in the description of the bike on Bikes Direct that said both front and rear shocks had "turnkey lockout".
The Good/Not so Bad:
I finally picked up the bike yesterday as soon as it was ready and got to ride the bike yesterday, a full 3 months after ordering. I think I will like the bike and consider it a good value but I will have to put in several days of riding to see how I like a full-suspension bike that will not completely lock-out. The delays were not all Bikes Direct fault, I am sure. The shop told me that UPS had shipped the shock to the wrong place and that cost 3 or 4 days as well. I may order from them again, but only if I am willing to deal with assembly myself or take to the local shop (but I am a pretty decent mechanic), resolve most problems myself and not in a hurry. The sales people were very friendly and helpful. The tech rep. via email was polite but of little help other than to tell me to take it to the local bike shop for evaluation/repair, but they said they would help cover the cost of the labor for the shocks. Rockshox covered the cost of shipment and rebuild of the original rear shock by changing the ports to make a stiffer shock.
My opinion is the description of the bike's features was misleading as far as the shock's lockout feature. It should not be called "turnkey lockout" if their is still significant movement after it is locked out.

Tip for consumers: Do not be in a rush to get a bike that is not ready for shipping right away.

carlb40
2/6/15

The full carbon Motobecane Le Champion CF Elite is the third bike I have purchased from BikesDirect. You can read the specs on their website. The frame is the newest type of all carbon with larger tubes for reduced flex. Yet, it is smooth as butter to ride. The Mavic wheels get very good reviews and the tires are hard in road contact and softer on the sides for vibration absorption. Tom Ritchey seat, comfortable, stem, bar, seat tube are first class. The Ultegra shifters a famous and fine. The Tektro brakes stop well even with given pads. Will probably put KoolStop pads on soon. KoolStop gets top recommendations.

Must now go for a ride................C. B.

Tip for consumers: Looks like a fine site. Will return. C. B.

victord15
2/3/15

I gotta say I love my new Boris X5. A beautiful bike, rides smoothly and shifts like a dream. Won't be my last bike from bikes direct. E mails are returned quickly. I'm very pleased

davidh201
2/3/15

I have tried to order a mountain bike,but they were out of stock. second different bike was out of stock. third and still different bike was out of stock. do they keep anything in stock or how does this work? I am ready to buy.

joa1238
2/3/15

Bought 3 bikes from them In less than a year! Had a minor problem with one but customer service resolved it really quickly. Lots of bikes to choose from and the popular ones gets sold out pretty fast. Had to pre order one but it arrived as expected. Thanks BD!

deanah2
1/30/15

What amazing customer service! "Karla" is the best there is. She walked me through the entire return process like I was the only customer in the world. You don't find that very often anymore. I will never buy a bike anywhere else. BikesDirect is the BEST! Thank you so much, Karla!!

jamesd129
1/30/15

I bought a wheelset, advertised to be 130mm rear spacing. I received them very quickly, nicely packed.

However, upon measuring, the rear wheel spacing was 135mm and not usable on my bike.

One email to their service people resulted in a return email with a UPS shipping label to put on the box for return.

I will not hesitate to shop here again for bikes or parts

williamf43
1/29/15

This is my third commentary..BD was great in every aspect of purchase. And my wife purchased a new bike at the LBS (local bike store), she was pleased as well. The told expense exceeded $1400. What you really don't realize during either purchase process is a "happy bike owner" is all about the "FINAL" FIT (and this where EVERYONE errors). No matter where you get bike, this fit is critical, since "fine tune" fit adjustments are required to get the bike where it needs to be to maximize your bike riding comfort, and those adjustments occurs after purchase. Further making those adjustments may required additional (UNEXPECTED) dollars...and that's the rub! So what do you need to aware of: (1) Legs almost fully extended on pedals when riding [how high can seat post; stem & handlebars be raised (adjusted) to meet your longterm needs (there is a point where cables have to be replaced or stems or handlebars or seat posts, additional costs around $125 or more)]; (2) arms parallel to ground when grabbing handlebars [if not you may have hand, neck or back issues develop (same fixes as #1 but add "ergo" grips, another $30)]; (3) seat [continual issues, never properly fit, yet easily solved; everyone has "sitz" bones; those bones are the determining factor in fit; seat size & hardness is not relevant; to determine location & proper fit, you sit in special cushion which helps identify bone location/size which provides seat recommendations)]; (4) correct bicycle start position [feet over bar, push forward to start with one foot on ground one foot on pedal, rise up to sit on seat other foot on pedal, when you stop your balls of feet touch ground, you "DO NOT" sit on bicycle seat flat footed at start-up]. FINALLY REMEMBER THAT ALL THESE ADJUSTMENTS ARE MADE AFTER PURCHASE WHEN YOU THOUGHT YOU HAD PURCHASED A PROPERLY FIT BIKE!

nathang28
1/29/15

Bought my first new bike from the Guys/Gals (Boris X5) and it has been years (I'm 46) since I have had customer service this good! A real person contacted me (Larry-awesome dude) asap and once I didn't even have time to fix a cup of coffee-really! I had a minor issue that was caused by shipping and not on them and they took care of it within minutes-I am not a person to write a review-my first ever actually, but this company does business like I remember as a youngster here in the great USA and I will continue to support them! thanks so much if any of you from "BikesDirect" reads this -YOU guys Rock!!!

Tip for consumers: Remember-the price you see is what you pay-no hidden cost and that is awesome!!! These guys put it straight and that is what this Country needs more of. Keep on blazing the trail BikesDirect and maybe more will follow!

marks207
1/19/15

Just got my Boris X5 Fat Tire. ROCKS! If you don't want to break the bank...and yet don't want a crippled ride...buy it! Nice color. Decent specs. Rides super. I've got 7 bikes from BikesDirect...and NO I'm not family! They always provide the best deal and these days the bikes take 10 minutes to assemble...and then you're off! Isn't that what you want???

joem125
1/5/15

I decided I wanted to get a fat bike but I didn't want to spend a ton of money. I was very surprised to find a HUGE selection of fat bikes available from BikesDirect. Multiple manufactures and price ranges for everyone. I picked a bike with spec's that would have cost me 3x anywhere else. The bike shipped right away, was packed well and had not scratches or anything. I assembled it quickly and the only thing it needed was a bit more grease on the headset bearings. I took it out for it's first spin and it's awesome. I've showed the bike to many of my cycling friends and they are very impressed with it. BikesDirect has also been great to work with from a support standpoint. They quickly answered my email about which D-hanger to order to have a spare and when there was a bead issue with my tires after only 12 rides they sent me a new pair with tubes at no cost. Amazing support that I have only previously seen when working with a local bike shop.

Tip for consumers: The web site is a bit sparse when it comes to some of the bike details so you'll have to check out other sources like the manufacture web site or places like mtbr.com for more detail

paulk81
12/30/14

After deciding I wanted a cyclocross bike, I went to the bike shop I used to work for and even with my former employee discount, the price was a bit high in my opinion for what the bike level was. I bought the Motobecane Fantom CX from bikesdirect.com which had the same level of components as the other bike at the shop for $400 less! Again, I used to work at this shop and get a good discount, usually 10% above cost. The bike arrived at my door in two days after ordering and upon unboxing/building it, I was very happy with the quality of everything. While fine adjusting the rear brakes, I noticed the rear rim had a "dip" in it but it didn't bother me since it didn't cause the tire to rub against the brake pads. As a former bike shop repairman I've seen many a rim with a slight dip where the rim is welded together and it's usually not a problem. When I rode the bike, I was again very pleased with the fit and feel of the bike and function of its components. I did notice the dip in the rear wheel though when above 15mph so I contacted bikesdirect.com to inquire about warranty. I was asked to take a short video of the wheel spinning so they could see it, which I did, and they immediately responded with a tracking number of the new wheel they were sending me. That is great service! As a former bicycle shop employee/repairman of 5+ years, I can honestly say that the quality of bikesdirect.com product and service is outstanding. I read reviews for bikesdirect.com before purchasing and the ones that were negative were obviously written by people who don't know anything about bikes or by disgruntled bike shop owners. I hope this review will help to counter that.

Tip for consumers: Don't be fooled by bad reviews. Read them carefully to make sure a bad review is reasonable and not written by an idiot!

gregl27
12/29/14

I’ve been mountain biking for quite a few years. I wanted to get a FatBike, but really didn’t want to spend top dollar on a bike I may or may not like. After a little researching I came across BikeDirect.com. My wife and myself decided to both go with the Boris X7. I have to say all the great reviews I came across regarding the quality of the bikes, the great customer service are all very true. We’ve had the bikes for just about a month now and these bikes are the only bikes we are riding. Our “regular” mountain bikes are just sitting in the garage. This past weekend, I noticed a gritty noise coming from my freehub body. I sent an email to BD asking them if the rear hub is compatible with Shimano or Sram free hub body thinking replacement when this free hub body fails. Their response within 15 minutes was a new freehub body is in the mail. Amazing customer service. If anyone is looking for a great bike with amazing customer service, definitely check out Bike Direct.

srtc
12/28/14

Bought two 450HT's for the kids for christmas this year. Both arrived very rapidly and were exactly as listed on the website. Each bike had a very minor issue: One had leaking tube, other had a broken small plastic clip. After an email to BikesDirect support, replacement parts were in the mail THAT DAY and I had new ones in-hand with 3 days. No questions asked and I amazed at their response! I'm very pleased. As for bike quality, I was also impressed. I was skeptical because I bought one of the lower priced models. Quality is comparable to bike-shop bikes and MUCH better than big-box store junk. Going to order from them again, once I get some money saved. Nothing bad to say.

brandonm47
12/26/14

I ordered the Motobecane gran premio elite and couldn't be more happy. It was shipped extremely fast, and arrived in less than a week (even over the Christmas holiday rush). Bikesdirect packaged the bice nicely, it could have been hit by the UPS truck and still arrived in great condition. Nothing but positive reviews from me. Now if they could get the Montana Winter weather to be a little nicer, I would be thrilled; and pay extra for it.

Tip for consumers: Look to Bikesdirect before you look anywhere else.

steved58
12/23/14

I just bought my first bike from Bikes Direct and I'm happy with the product, shipping and service. I was mostly afraid that the bike would be damaged in shipping and I had no idea how the service would be. I ordered on a Monday morning and I got it Thursday morning (Florida to Illinois). The box was in mint condition. The bike was without blemish in the box and packed fairly well. On examination I believed I had a defective part on the bike and I emailed Bikes Direct about it. Turns out I was wrong and I figured that out before they got back to me. When I got an email back from Larry, he explained that this is how that particular part is, however, he had seen issues with this part recently so he sent out a replacement of a higher quality. I think this was a good move and showed he wanted to make sure I didn't have any trouble down the road.

I will be buying from Bikes Direct again based on my first dealing with them.

pinakim1
12/23/14

Thought this is a small business, they try to deliver a great customer service. Not only I bought a cool bike from them for a bargain price, but also when the got lost due to UPS, they created service request and finally I could get my bike. For this issue, they also sent me a surprise gift. Now they may not have a 24/7 customer service care; but they try to help with email.

pinakim
12/22/14

This site not only sells quality bikes for a bargain price but also they have a good customer service. I bought my bike and UPS kind of lost it and I picked it up after several days as they were showing incorrect delivery dates in tracking. However, upon contacting Bikesdirect they created a service request with UPS. Finally as I suffered a delay they surprised me with a great gift. Moreover they always got in touch with me. As it's a small business they may not have 24 hrs customer service phone number but they communicate with email always.

bobbyd27
12/19/14

We ordered a 24 speed Motobecane road bike. I had it assembled by a local bike shop near my job. The LBS did a great job & I purchased a nice bike lock from them as well. The LBS spoke very highly of our new Motobecane bike. I took it for a short test drive to make sure every thing was good. I loved the smooth gear changes with the Shimano system. My son is away in college and he loves it, he rides it several days a week. I will definitely purchase another bike from bikesdirect.com in the future. Delivery was fast also.

danielt47
12/15/14

Good service and grate bang for the buck!
Personal I got Boris X7 knowing that i will be upgrading some components right of the bat. Bike box arrived slightly damaged but bike itself was OK inside .
All in all positive experience from correspondence i head with Bikes Direct they seam to be genuine, helpful and upfront.
Attached image is of a bike 15 minutes after delivery

Tip for consumers: I am from Canada so my advice to fellow Canadians is to get the bike shipped to one of the UPS depo near the border and go get your bike.
I was lucky i have a friend in the stats that was willing to forward the bike to me via UPS but it would of been just slightly more expensive for me to drive and get it, and i would of head it a whole week earlier had i done that. I would not recommend using the my US address bike box is quiet large and shipping will be expensive my shipping was 110 US plus

ranchb
12/12/14

Have not received my bike as of yet but Karla with customer service is amazing. I think she should get a raise and a company car (or bike) and her own parking space. Thank you so much!

chriss218
12/11/14

Had a super experience with BD - bought a Night Train Bullet after looking at other fat bikes in my local stores. I wanted front suspension (Bluto) as well as better hydro brakes and drive train. Nothing for the price I paid would have come close in the bike store. When I first researched BD I was looking for the scam and there isn't one at all. Check around, they are legit and you will end up saving and being happy!

williamb104
12/8/14

I just purchased my 4th road bike from Bikes Direct and would like to recommend them to all. The bikes all arrived safe, quickly and final assembly was not cumbersome. Email communication was fast and very satisfactory. All internet transactions should be as enjoyable.

lancel7
12/7/14

Took delivery on my Bikes Direct "Fatbike" about a month ago and can't say enough about the quality compared to price-point! Nowhere will you find a better deal or better customer service!

Tip for consumers: Seriously consider BD whenever in the market for a new bike.

chrisp93
12/5/14

Bikes Direct has the best product and Customer Service in the business!
I love my bike and plan on purchasing all of my future bikes from BikesDirect.
It is been my experience that they sell superior products at a greatly reduced price...
If buying is believing....Than I am a firm believer!
Thank's to all at Bikes direct for your immediate attention/service and fast delivery!
Cordially, Mr. Perkins, "AKA Happy Customer"

stevec92
12/2/14

When it came to buying a new bike, I have always been someone who believed you always got the best service from your local bike shop. I need to refine that claim by adding Bikesdirect.com. I recently ordered and received my first "fat bike" from them, a Motobecane Night Train. I had originally pre-ordered a different model, but decided to switch to the Night Train when one became available. The folks at BD were extremely accommodating and quick to answer questions both via email and voicemail. The transaction transfer was seamless and the bike was delivered quickly. I had a small issue with a bent part due to shipping damage, but BD sent out a free replacement the same day I made the call. The bike functions flawlessly, is better equipped and cost less than half the price of the bike I was looking at in my local shop. I honestly couldn't be happier. Thanks BD, job well done! ...SC

Tip for consumers: Be aware that some of the bikes sell out quickly or may be available for pre-order only. Patience and timely purchasing pays off, and it's worth it!

wesw9
12/1/14

I ordered the Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro. Everything came as advertised. The only tool I needed other than Allen wrenches and a screwdriver was a set of star heads to screw on the front brake disc. I've taken the bike on several short rides (10-15mi) and raced it twice. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Tip for consumers: If you preorder a bike that is not yet in stock, be ready to practice patience.

jcr
11/6/14

BikesDirect is the real deal.

I got the 2011 Motobecane Super Strada road bike.

SRAM Apex groupset, fast shipping--signature required due to high amount.

ajj2
10/28/14

Just bought a Gravity2 29er. The shipping took 4 business days -- site indicated 3-7 days. The bike was 90% assembled as the site indicated. It took me 1 hour to fully assemble with nothing but an allen wrench (oh yeah -- the pedals required a open end wrench) , including adjusting the brakes, inflating the tires and adjusting the seats and bar. The shifters took a small adjustment on front and rear derailers. This was so easy. I had originally planned to take to a bike shop, but no need to spend the extra $70-$100. The bike is perfect for the money considering the components. Great experience.

michaelk71
10/24/14

The long story follows: but the short story is that they were fantastic. The bike arrived when it was supposed to, in perfect condition, and with all parts. Their personal services (albeit through the web as there are no telephone numbers given) was quick, respectful, and to the point. You can't ask for more.

The long story. They had a fantastic deal on a Montebecan Cafe DX 50cm which I purchased for my wife. I ordered it on line using my credit card. I received a receipt within a few hours (even though I ordered it on a Sunday), and then received several follow up email concerning the shipping and set up. The bike arrived in the manufacturer's box and in perfect condition. I laid out all of the parts and began to assemble it. Though Bikes Direct notified me in writing that the instructions in the box were generic and would not necessarily apply to the bike received (all of which was true), setting it up was easy for any person that has a little skill with tools, some experience putting a wheel on a bike, and some common sense. But there was a problem: though it was a 50cm, it fit my wife more like a 54cm. Indeed my 54cm racing bikes fit her much better than did this bike. Though the bike was ideal for (it had everything she wanted including a light weight (about 20# as opposed to the 18# that the manufacturer stated), and the components were as described, we couldn't keep it because of the fit.

I contacted the company by email and they immediately responded. Though we discussed the measurements of the bike, my wife and I decided to return the bike. Bikes Direct was understanding, kind, and helpful in arranging the return of the bike for a full refund. An overall great experience even though it did not work out. And isn't that the time that the true nature of a business comes out?

pauln41
10/23/14

One star for bad organization, I bought a road bike from this place, after two days I got an email saying that it was shipped with an actual tracking #. A day after I get another EMAIL stating that: even though there was an email saying that it was shipped, the item was not shipped after making me wait TWO DAYS!! . One star for offering $50 off on the next item, but I don't want to order something and having the same thing done again.

rodc14
10/17/14

My bike had a bent wheel during shipping. They sent me another one immediately. Latter we found out the front fork was welded wrong and they again sent me a new carbon fiber fork because they were out of standard fork they are great to work with thanks to Larry in service.

fredc33
9/13/14

I bought a Gravity Bullseye Monster from BD. I ordered it over the July 4th weekend and it arrived on Thursday the third. Right out of the box my bike worked perfectly. No complaints here. A lot of bike for the money.equal to other 'entry level' Fat Bikes at $1300 to $1400. I Use my bike daily for improving my health. I have lost 20 pounds so far riding this monster. I would recommend Bikesdirect. com to anyone looking for a quality bike at decent prices.

ismaelv1
8/8/14

So far we have no complaints, just received our bikes, Motobecane Immortal pro all carbon bike, and a Kestrel evoke 3, also an all carbon bike.
only took four days to arrive and came 80 to 90% together, as stated on the website. I did the rest, but also took them to a local bike shop just for piece of mind.
The cool part after looking at both bikes and doing a professional setup for the both of us ( setting proper saddle placement and handlebar adjustment )
He looked smiled and said "WE DID GOOD" couldn't believe the
Price we paid and the top notch parts that were on them. Totally made us feel good!!
We have only ridden twice, and so far we're loving it, 14 miles on the first ride and 24 on the second ride. Looking forward to a lot more. Planning on a 50 mile ride very soon, so will get back and post again.
We've recommended the site to several of our friends, hoping they have the same experience as we did.
Only four stars because it's still way to early.

tracid1
7/29/14

I wanted a new road bike but I didn't want to break the bank and i found the Motobecane Mirage S and I absolutely love it! The company emailed me a nice email with assembly instructions the morning after I paid and the bike arrived to me in Alabama within 2 days! Their assembly videos were pretty easy although I did have my boyfriend help me and we had it put together in about 45 minutes. I would recommend this site to anyone (any I already have:)

youngm15
7/21/14

I thought they were honest but I was wrong! I had a hard time choosing a bike and when I eventually did, they bundled a worn-out machine for me. Spokes were bad and bent with creaking sounds. Tube was punctured! Totally disappointed.

albertp23
7/10/14

So far I cannot say anything good because Bikesdirect online does not accept my Visa credit card which is in good standing. BD is supposed to have a phone order line, but I got to an answer machine that says they will call back. Called four different times for no answer. NO call back in 4 hours. Their work day ended at 4 PM EST, and I didn't hear from them. They may be a good deal. but so far I have no deal. No deal is better than a bad deal, I guess.

mikes229
6/25/14

I ordered a Fat Bike from bikesdirect. I was less than half the cost of an equal bike in a bike shop. It was shipped the day after I ordered it; arrived 3 days after that. Super quality, sweet ride, and looks fantastic. All my riding buddies think it is a great bike and deal.

ernestt9
6/24/14

I recently purchased a Motobecane Elite FS Hybrid bicycle from BikesDirect and am happy to report complete satisfaction with the bike and BikesDirect. The bike was shipped quickly, in a sturdy carton and arrived as it was shipped. I have recommend the website and will continue to do so.

ians44
6/19/14

We bought the bike from this site because it said it would be easy to put together. The handle bars were shipped put together but upside down. The instructions did not match the bike I bought. I ended up going back to the website to figure out how things fit together by the picture of the bike. The bike was supposed to be shipped with a free kickstand, but it was not included. The front wheel is completely misshapen and when we contacted customer service we were told that this is not uncommon, so we should bring the wheel to a bike shop to get it fixed.

marcr18
5/30/14

Great experience with BikesDirect!!! I placed my order Wednesday morning and the bike arrived in flawless condition Friday noon. Great bargain when compared to other bikes of similar components.

Caution if you have not done much work on bikes…it will need some tweaking to get it just right.

coline2
3/27/14

I have brought two bikes from them and they have both been great.

I recently replaced a Trek that cost $900 with a Wins Fen and it is better than the Trek in every respect - components, weight, ride and appearance. But it only cost $699 and this is 15 years after I brought the Trek!

You pay roughly half what you would at a brick and mortar store and they only take about 25 minutes to assemble.

tomc57
3/11/14

I purchased two bikes from Bikesdirect.com. The first was a Motobecane road bike. I liked it because the components where better than anything I saw at a local bike store. To me the components are the most important. Frame weight, not so much for me. I am a big guy and losing weight would do more than loosing a couple ounces on a frame.

I also purchased a Motobecane 29er Mountain Bike.

I am more than pleased with both purchases.

rubeno1
3/5/14

Just got a Kestral rt1000 sl full dura ace w/carbon wheels, bars, & seatpost 20012 for $2596.00, this is an unreal deal!!! bought an immortal ultegra/105 mix 2 yrs ago, frame broke and they replaced it asap no hassle! these guys are real pros!

rickm58
3/4/14

Ok bought my Dawes Lightning 1500 in May, it's now September. I wanted to give the bike some time and ride a bit before I submitted a Review. I run triathlons and badly needed a new bike. After visiting several local bike shops, I quickly realized that what they had to offer was way out of my price range. Somehow I stumbled upon BD. I was apprehensive about buying a bike online because I knew how important fit was. I did lots of research on the components and BD (BTW they do have a phone and they are very cooperative). I used their sizing guide and after a few Emails back and forth and yes, a phone call, I got everything fitted up and ordered my bike. After ordering the bike I got an Email that said the bike would arrive in 5-7 days, three days later my new Dawes 1500 arrived via UPS. The bike was very well packaged, and 90% assembled. honestly, it was so near assembled a trained monkey could have finished putting it together so I don't know what all the complaining is about. Anyhow, bike assembled easily and I Took it our for a spin and it was perfect. The very next week I took the Dawes out for it's very first Traithlon. Finished first in my age group (55-59), 8th overall! Person best! Not bad for a " cheap" online bike! Unfortunately, the following week I had a nasty spill on The Dawes in an incident involving a free range dog. Neither the Daws o r myself of fared very well. I took t he bruised and battered Dawes to the bike shop for repairs. The sales jerks and some of the brand snobs in t he shop dissed. The bike for being a BD bike. But when I went to pick I t up, the service tech told me confidentially that the bike was as good or better than the bikes they were selling for twice the money and in his opinion it was an excellent bike. I ride with a local bike club and I have no problems keeping up with them and as a ma Tyrrhenian of fact, the Dawes gets several comments on how great it looks and I'm constantly asked where I got it, some are surprised to learn it's a BD bike. So basically here's what I got out of the experience, (1) do your research, you're buying the bike online, you can't touch or see the bike, (2) pay close attention to the sizing guide, and ask the BD people to help, they will, (3) understand you're buying the bike online, one of the reasons it's inexpensive is there is no middle man, you are t he middle man, you're going TP receive the bike in the same condition. The LBS receives theirs, partially assembled, be prepared to do some assembly, (4) be prepared for some brand snobs to try to diss your bike, just look at them and smile and think to yourself, P T Barnum once said there is a fool born every minute and you're looking at one, (5) enjoy your née bike, and while you're in the pace line, ride with the confidence and knowledge that with every turn of the pedal you're riding on a bike equally as good as most of the bikes that coated half as much. Would I recommend BD, darn straight. As a Metternich of fact, getting ready to buy my wife a new bike. From BD and more likely my next. Bike will come from. Them as well.

garyr24
1/14/14

If you're looking for great price great service by your bike from them I have bought 2 Motobecane,a road bike and I just bought a Cyclecross with Shimono Ultegra 6800 disc brakes carbon stem fork and bars for just $1400 shipped my friends can't believe what I paid comparable to like $3000 plus bikes .

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the BikesDirect staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Yeah, they do have really good deals. Do you know if you need to have it built or can you just do it yourself if you have enough knowledge? Just wondering how easy it is
6/21/10
bobc3
A: Bought a Road Bike for $500., paid local shop $40. to assmble and tune. Shop owner was shocked at how little I paid for the bike, thought it was a $1000. bike. Thanks bikesdirect.
6/21/10
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

12 Photos for BikesDirect