US Government's NSF

81%
9848 Robin Hill Ln
Dallas, TX 75238, US
bd4salesteam@aol.com

People interested in BikesDirect are also interested in:

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

joem125

Amazing support that I have only previously seen when working with a local bike shop. (in 38 reviews)

benjaminh26

Oh, and excellent customer service and communication through email. (in 23 reviews)

williamb104

I just purchased my 4th road bike from Bikes Direct and would like to recommend them to all. (in 25 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

georgew52
8/31/15

I've bought 6 different bikes from BikesDirect. Road, Hybrid and comfort bikes. Ive also suggested them to several friends. EVERY bike has been an excellent bike for the money, and shipping is lightening fast. If you are just a little handy with tools, there are great assembly videos on YouTube that will help you fine tune your assembly for more advanced bikes. If you need a little help, your local bike shop will assemble and tune for 40-80 bucks. Either way... you will get a lot more bike for the money.
Note that they are low a overhead M-F business. It may take a bit of time for them to return your voice mail or respond to your email, but that is part of what keeps the price down. If you need more hands on service, there is nothing wrong with going to a LBS.

samb123
8/31/15

I was so hyped up when I found BD that I just couldn't wait for the bike to arrive. A few days later, my new motobecane arrived and I had it slapped together and road-worthy in under an hour!
Bikesdirect is awesome and you won't find a better bike for the money. It also helps me practice my mechanic skills at the same time.

Tip for consumers: Make sure you are aware of how to get the bike put together. It's simple, but daunting if you go in blind. Youtube/Google is a friend!!

judithm24
8/30/15

My husband and I both have been wanting to get bikes. We have researched and looked online as well as gone to some local bike stores. We both need to get in better shape but I'm not sure how much I will be able to ride because of foot surgery I had recently. Unfortunately, we just don't have the money to buy bikes and then never use them. So, my husband was thrilled when he found the Mango Macaw bikes. We wanted simple bikes to start with and these seemed perfect for us...even the price was good! So we both picked out the colors we wanted and started saving our money. For our 29th anniversary in July, I told him the bike would be his present from me, to go ahead and order it and I would get mine next. He was very disappointed and unhappy when he found out you didn't have the color he had decided on, which was tangerine. He was going to call and see if you would be getting more in but after looking all over the website, he only found instructions saying you couldn't call and had to email. He did, immediately, and we are still waiting to hear from someone. He tried to make excuses for your lack of response but he finally gave up and decided you just don't care about your customers...or maybe it's just the ones who are only buying a $200.00 bike. :(

sabirb
8/26/15

I ordered a Dawes Bullseye fat tire from bikesdirect after searching for a budget fat bike. Despite being such a large item, it showed up as promptly as it could. I'll say it was TOTALLY worth the wait! I've had a blast with the bike so far, especially when I remember how little I paid for it.
If you want to avoid the hassle of salesfolks trying to upsell you (I know I can't stand it..) and impairing prices, definitely consider giving bikesdirect a try.

chuongm
8/26/15

Once I got my bike put together, I replied to bikesdirectbikes@aol.com shipping email with the following message:

Hi,

I got the bike is great shape. Had it put together and it's been performing great, except for one thing that really bothers me. Please see the attached photo. Instead of a Motobecane logo on the the head stock, I see a Gravity logo. What's going on here?

This the the response I got from bd4servicecenter@aol.com:

Hello,
I am so sorry to see that, luckily the bike is a motobecane and since the motobecanes and gravity's are made in the same factory (4 factories make 99% of all bikes on the market) it looks like it was just a small mix up on there part.
The good news is you have a one of a kind bike and will not see another one like it.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.
Best regards,
Larry @ Bikes Direct

Well it is obvious that my Motobecane frame came from the same factory that puts stickers on the Gravity frames, but is my Motobecane Fantom29 Expert really one of a kind because someone was out of his/her mind the day stickers and frames were passed out at the factory? You be the judge, see attached pic.

I am proud of my Motobecane, but now I have to explain to others about the damn Gravity logo. AND, if I remove it, then that would void the warranty (http://motobecane.com/warranty/). Then on second thought, I don't believe that anyone will warranty the bike purchased at BikesDirect.

I would give the bike a 3 for the one of a kind Gravity logo on a Motobacne, and BikesDirect a 2 for an assinine response.

danteu
8/26/15

I decided to buy a Gravity FXD road bike from Bikes Direct because the price was very attractive and it is my first serious bicycle I have purchased. Unfortunately when the package arrived I found the bike stuffed into the box with no protection except thin foam sheets. Ended up with a bent brake disk, bent spoke, and multiple scratches and gouges. Larry wouldn't even send me some touch up paint. Pretty sure I will never do business with them again. You will be much better off to buy a better quality bike from a known bike shop and cut your best deal or get it on sale. These bikes are not the best quality but it is my first I and will deal with it.

jeremyc36
8/23/15

I bought a Gravity bike from them a couple of months ago. The first front tire I got seemed to have some wobble in it, then I realized that the tire had actually split along the center in certain spots. So wide, in fact, that you could see the tube. I sent them a message and asked that they replace the tire. They sent me another tire which ended up having the exact same problem. Now, initially I thought it could be from over inflation, but the back tire I have has held up fine.

UPDATE: The people at Bikesdirect did everything the could to resolve the issue. Their customer service has been well handled so I upped my rating to 4 stars. I am still undecided if I would still pass over a local shop to buy from them again, but that's more of a personal interaction preference.

danaf18
8/20/15

I recently purchased a bicycle online via their website. There is zero support during weekends and after work hours and they only communicate via email which makes communication that much harder. They claimed the bicycle will come 90% assembled and this was not the case. It was more like 70%. Had to pay to get this assembled. Given the lack of specs during purchase, only after assembling the bike did i realize this bike was not suitable for me. The support team were super unhelpful after I asked them to contact me via phone and get help on returning the bike. I would have to pay a bike shop to disassemble the bike and package it and understand there is an additional cost for the UPS return shipping label and cost if you do not return it in the original box - mine was damaged and hence cannot be used for returns. I absolutely do not recommend purchase from this site given all the hidden costs associated with it and the complete lack of support/ service they offer

brianl59
8/19/15

I ordered the MER Galaxy SC3. The bike came on time, everything was neatly packaged. However my rear wheel was bent, So I asked customer service for help. Larry replied back to immediately and helped me by sending a replacement wheel, no question asked. Excellent customer service. I would've given 5 stars if it wasn't for the faulty wheel. Nonetheless, great experience.
-Brian L.

joshk42
8/18/15

I ordered a Motobecane Fantom 29 Trail from Bikes Direct and could not be happier with my purchase. The bike itself has far superior components to any equal priced bike on the market. Unfortunately the color I wanted was no longer available when I ordered the bike but Bikes Direct reached out to me very promptly and were more than accommodating in helping resolve the issue. The service was very personal and pleasant. I would recommend BikesDirect.com to anyone. I already have one friend who is about to order a bike from there himself after my raving reviews!

scotts124
8/17/15

Just purchased a Motobecane Mirage Pro bike from bikesdirect.com. It was received timely and was relatively easy to put together. However, with only 15 miles on the 2nd ride, a pedal came loose and stripped the crank. They disclaimed all warranties, made me pay for replacement of defective parts and further claimed that the pedals were not installed properly when that is probably the easiest thing to install. In short, DO NOT EVER BUY A MOTOBECANE AND DO NOT EVER BUY FROM BIKESDIRECT.COM. I would give them zero starts if I could. Be forwarned.

rickw35
8/12/15

I have to say that my first purchase 5 years ago was real good and smooth. But maybe I was either lucky in my choice or just new to their game. You should definitely heed a lot of the negative informed talk you hear of the modus operandi of this business. They do save you money. However any business that is not brick and mortar should save you money over the many that are. So saving money is a given.

tw218
8/7/15

I bought the Motobecane Fathom HT Comp and it's awesome. I had no problem with the ordering process, and the ship time was very reasonable. The assembly out of the box is not complicated if you have any experience with tools. Even if taken to a bike shop still a great deal. I did see the components on it are models that are 2 years old, but they are new and for the price I'm not going to complain. I'm looking to buy a road bike and I will definitely be getting it from bikes direct.

tomd73
8/4/15

I just bought my second bike from Bikes Direct. The first was a road bike about four years ago; I have had no issues with the order or my bike. This time I chose a mountain bike. Four days after my PayPal payment went through I had not received shipping notification. I contacted customer support and they found the problem right away. PayPal had not sent them payment confirmation. No sweat I thought, mistakes happen. Bikes Direct promptly shipped my bike, along with a complimentary tool kit and a $25 refund. My next bike will definitely be from Bikes Direct!

brians148
7/27/15

First off, I agree with most of the price comments here. You CAN save hundreds but the reason you do is that these bikes are drop shipped from overseas. They are nowhere near ready to ride out of the box. If you are already spending hundreds but also saving hundreds, why not spend the $50-100 that your LBS will charge to build the bike right? For the under $300 fixies and coffee bikes? Maybe not, but you are talking about top of the line and very high end components on these bikes that require fine tuning. If you don't know how, disregard that video on the website site about assembly and go to your LBS. Don't be ashamed, tell them you have a boxed bike that needs building and tuning and if they give you crap about buying online tell them that this bike came out of the same (or better) overseas factory that their Treks, Giants, and Specialized did. You just saved several hundred bucks. The best case is that you develop a rapport with your LBS and they help you down the road. Personally, I am a Performance Buyers Club member and all my labor is half off, so building the bike didn't even cost me that much.
Hope this helps.

scottt38
7/20/15

I'm so happy BikesDirect exists! Having bicycle shop experience lets me buy at a much reduced price, and get a great value.
Note: anyone buying a bike-in-a-box should know that it should be PROPERLY ASSEMBLED by a professional. NO-BIKE is properly adjusted at the factory, not even $500-$700-Treks/Giants/Specialized ETC...It takes skill & special tools for the hub bearings alone. It's worth the extra~$50-$75 to have it assembled Properly. The first thing to check after [or at any LBS], is the fr. & rear hub bearings, if they grind at-all, WAY too tight, especially on quick-release wheels, due-to closing the skewer, actually makes the adjustment tighter, which causes bearing/race/cup damage. If you watch a video on assembly, and they don't include r.hub adj.[including removal of the freewheel/cassette to get that-sides locknut], trueing wheels, toeing brake pads. removing & cleaning of crank-arms & spindle, or suggests an assembly should only take 45-60 minutes IS NOT WORTH WATCHING!!
Thank You BikesDirect for allowing folks to puchase superior products at very-reasonable prices.

alanf34
7/13/15

2014 Motobecane Mirage
Butted CrMoly 4130

I wanted to wait until I had the bike awhile to write a review. I've had the bike a year and have had no problems. I chose the ChroMolly 4130 because I like the ride of a steel bike.
This was my first order with Bikes Direct. There was no problem with the shipping, box arrived fine. I was informed every step of the way. The bike was packed very very well. There was no dings on it at all. Assembly was no problem and anyone with reasonable mechanical knowledge can put this together. I's not a big deal. I had some parts I didn't know what they were to so I emailed customer service and they shot an answer right back with pictures ! I did some tweaks here & there on my own. A few fine tune adjustments, nothing big. I was really surprised to find break handles in the middle of the handle bars. I like that. I put my favorite seat on it, that's the only thing I changed. As soon as it was assembled the tires were kissing blacktop. Very nice ride.
Overall I am very satisfied. For a China build everything was perfect. The welds were clean, Shifting was smooth, paint job is excellent, packing was terrific, customer service was right on it. Would I deal with Bikes Direct again? Absolutely.
I got a great deal and a great bike.
BRAVO !!
Alan F.

christyh20
7/10/15

I ordered my bike July 3rd. Received a UPS label July 6th. It is now July 10th and no movement has been shown for shipping. I emailed the company two days ago...no response. I have called the company 6 times, with no answer. I finally left a voice mail....hoping to get a response soon! My friend ordered her bike from this company the day before me...and received it on Wednesday. We were hoping to go for a ride this weekend....apparently thats not going to happen. Very unsatisfied with the lack of customer service. No one should have this much trouble contacting a seller about a product they have already paid for, but not received!

debbyb6
7/1/15

Both my husband and I ordered Mango Macaw cruiser bikes. Initially they did not have a copy of my online order. I emailed them and they responded. I paid through pay pal glad I did. She contacted them, gave pertinent info. Both bikes were delivered the NEXT DAY! Great service and wonderful bike.

bruceg23
6/21/15

Bought a Gravity Monster Got It On Time Easy Assembly Fun To Ride No Problems Going To Buy From Them Again

joeg67
6/15/15

I purchased a Motobecane Titanium LeChampion from BikesDirect
on the recommendation of a local competetive rider.
It arrived one day early, in perfect condition and was easy to assemble.
The email communication from BikesDirect has been comprehensive and timely.
The value was spectacular and I would highly recommend them and would definitely use them again - but I think this bike is " the end of the rainbow " for me :-)
Thanks BikesDirect. you made it easy ... and you got it right.
This was a very big purchase for me, Thank You again for making it go so well

Joe Gadoury

jimmythesaintr
6/8/15

I have been searching for an affordable single speed 29er for a year, and I finally found one. The Gravity G29 is a great bike, very affordable, large, stable front forks, dual disc brakes, all I've ever wanted in a bike. Shipping was 2-3 days, assembly was simple, runs like a charm. I may buy another one and put street tires on it to get around town as a commuter bike. The tires on it are the best mountain bike tires I've ever seen. I got the Size 21, because I am 6/3, 200 lbs. Fits perfect. Recommend this to anybody who doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg on a bike and still get first class quality!

ingridp4
6/5/15

BIKES DIRECT IS TOTALLY EVASIVE AND REFUSES TO ANSWER PRE-PURCHASE QUESTIONS ABOUT THEIR BIKES. ALL COMMUNICATION WITH THEM MUST BE DONE BY E-MAIL-- THEY HAVE NO PHONE.
SO AFTER A POTENTIAL BUYER GOES THROUGH ALL THE TIME AND TROUBLE OF WRITING TO THEM-- WHAT DOES BIKES DIRECT SEND BACK BUT A NON-SPECIFIC CUT&PASTE FROM ONE BIKE MAGAZINE OR ANOTHER. THEY REFUSE TO ANSWER ANY DIRECT QUESTIONS ABOUT WHAT THEIR BIKE SPECS MEAN AND IF YOU PRESS THEM THEY QUIT ANSWERING E-MAILS.
BIKES DIRECT IS A TRUE SET-UP FOR THE CLASSIC-BAIT & SWITCH. THE ONLY WAY TO BEAT THEIR SYSTEM IS TO BE A BIKE-SPEC EXPERT.
WITH ALL THIS SHADY-DEALING ON THE PRE-PURCHASE SIDE I CAN IMAGINE THE NIGHTMARE RIP-OFF IF A BUYER HAS COMPLAINTS.

donv8
6/3/15

Bought a Motobecane road bike from BikesDirect about 2 years ago. Customer service was good, they arranged for a specific delivery date for the bike. Arrived packaged well and in perfect condition. I am middling handy and completed final assembly in about an hour and was up and riding. Bike dimensions and specs were exactly as advertised. Bike was about a 50% discount compared with a similar bike from LBS. The wheels were slightly in need of truing, which is something that the BD website clearly indicated would likely be the case. Would buy again from them in a heartbeat. The bike is at my vacation home so I ride it only a few weeks per year, but have put about 1500 miles on it with no issues. Would buy again from them in a heartbeat.

cathyk10
6/1/15

I purchased the Motobecane Cafe Latte. It shipped on May 25th and I received it on May 28th I took it to a great bike shop here in Houston and had it assembled professionally. The shop said I had purchased a great bike. I took it out for a ride and it was smooth and handled and shifted well!! I could not be any happier!! Why break the bank when there is Bikes Direct!! You get a great quality bike for a lot less money!!

jeffreyh32
6/1/15

Ordered a Motobecane X5 29+ on 5/23 (holiday weekend) The bike shipped on 5/26 & I received it on 5/29... In the morning! 3 days from Texas to N.J.! Nice bike for the money. Great service, nice people! If you want to try something new without getting a second mortgage on your house try Bikes Direct. I did it with my fatty (night train bull it) & now with my 29+ no complaints. Miracle Man

williamd59
5/23/15

I purchased the Fantom Pro TI 29er. It took 4 working days to arrive, which I thought was very reasonable. The only reason I didn't give 5stars is in my opinion there was more than 90% assembly. Besides seat, disk and wheels the front caliper and rear deraileur also required assembly. The rr deraileur high and low stops were adjusted. It took some time to get the proper cable setting and B tension setting, but there are good videos on YouTube. It took about 45 minutes to assemble and 1.5hrs to tune everything to my liking. The shock needs to be set to your weight and the Rock Shock pamlet that was provided does not give any PSI recommendations. Rock Shock's website has recommendations. Took it out on the trail and the bike is very fast. It carries speed much better than my 26 Stump Jumper FSR. I am glad I purchased from Bikes Direct. I saved money and learned how to tune the gears. Now as the cables and chain start to stretch, I am confident I will be able to adjust them on my own saving more money and time.

davidw216
5/18/15

I have purchased two fatbikes from BikesDirect in the last year, and I cant say enough good things about either the bikes or the company.

The bikes are a great value, and are high quality. The service from the company has been good, I have communicated with their staff on a number of occasions and they are always able to help and in a timely manner.

I would not hesitate to purchase from this company again. I plan to purchase a fatbike for my wife from BikesDirect in the next year.

Tip for consumers: The website looks dated, but the values are real.

dionc3
5/13/15

The Boris X7 is my 6th bike from Bikesdirect and they just keep getting better. I bought the bike to counter all the potholes we have here in NYC and wow, I've gone from avoiding potholes, to trying to find them. as usual everything about the parts and build on the bike are above and beyond anything you will find anywhere else for the price. Highly suggested to buy this bike without hesitation.

billr46
5/13/15

Buying a bike without riding it? Are you crazy? Well yes and I'm also thrifty! I'll gladly deal with assembly and fitting to save $500.00 Yes....$500.00 under the same bike my local bike shop was trying to charge for the same components. I like my local shop and I'll still buy small stuff for more but when we're talking enough for airfare to Vegas, I'm buying on line.

rigobertoc16
5/11/15

I bought a full suspension gravity mountain bike. All came as espected. I recommend gravity bikes to everyone who wants a good bike for a reasonable price.

timr41
5/10/15

I have 2 awesome bikes from Bikesdirect!
I have a Dawes SST Al. and a Gravity Point2 29er.
I am now looking to add a 27.5 Gravity 27FIVE singlespeed, or a Gravity Deadeye 26+ non monster. Do I want 2.2 Racing Ralphs, or surly 3" Knards? tough choice!

What most might not like about BikesDirect, I LOVE!!

we get a great bike for a great price, and the stuff that we all swap out anyways saddles seatpost, handlebars.... Is lower end, thus the lower prices. However that lower end stuff is actually nice and very function-able.
My Dawes, I dropped a parts bin seatpost/saddle on it and changed nothing else for 2,000 miles. Eventually I tried a 46 chainring then went back to the 48 that came with it. I did change tires t a red tire, but the tires that came with the Dawes are better! and because I had bars in my parts bin I swapped them.. honestly that was probably a waste of time and bar tape. but I like to tinker, I like to make Bicycles mine. I'll add a photo of how my Dawes sits now.

My Gravity Point2 great bike out of the box! On it I changed saddle, I changed the bars to a flat sweep (user preference). I took off the 2.1 mtb tires and put on 700cx40 for commuting, and then I put the 2.1 mtb back on.

I think it is great place for bike for those who like to tinker, and there is also nothing wrong with Bikedirect bikes for riding them how they come!

Edit: I really don't have the details on shipping, other than I shipped one to Ohio. One to Florida. Both shipped in very reasonable time. the only hitch was on the Gravity I used Paypal. That in an of itself wasn't a bad thing... Except my CC had expired. I hadn't updated it. so I had to wait on Paypal to clear payment. which speaking of I should go review Paypal on here, they deserve a negative-10!!!!!! Multiple times they have done more harm than good.

Oh and I tossed the Gravity Point2 up against some Giants today on a Giant demo. XTC, Trance, Anthem, Stance. The price point of a Talon3 27.5 might give a Gravity 27FIVE G2 27.5 run for its money. I wasn't that impressed with high dollar bikes today!
Most of us are not racing, and even if we are it not sponsored Pro racing.... thus a Bikesdirect bike. Doesn't really change anything except doing less damage to the bank account. For that they deserve more stars!!!

matthiasj4
5/1/15

I bought a bike for my wife. The saddle post will not fit into the frame because the frame itself is bent. Called and write BK 4X and never got a live person or a reply. Son't believe the sales pitch of a $800 bike for $399. You are getting a $200 bike for 2X the price with ZERO support.

johnd363
4/22/15

Its amazing these guys are in business with such poor customer service! I followed THEIR guidelines for customer interaction over THEIR phone. I was going to buy their bike but I had one question which I could not find an answer to on their website concerning shipping. I called and left a message expecting a next day response. I called the next day informing them again that I was a ready buyer, still no response. Finally I called 9 times in a row and guess what they were there the whole time and sounded irritated they had to answer! (I was going to stop at 25. lol!) Needless to say, I paid $100 more at a local store and got a fully assembled bike the same day with a full year of tune ups and supported my local community!

jasonk50
4/16/15

Hi,
Ordered a Motobecane 2015 Sturgis fat bike in orange back in March. Paid a slight discount to receive the bike at a later date. Date of delivery was May 15- May 25. In April I get an email that reads "Update on your order -

We have good news and bad news... Good news is that by placing your order early, you have beat the price increase! Bad news is that the factory is running a month behind on these so the arrival date has been pushed back by a month. We are now excpecting them late June/early July.

We appreciate your prolonged patience and will ship theses bikes as soon as they unload! If we get any new updates in the mean time, we be sure to notify you right away.

Thanks again for being a smart cyclist and saving hundreds off your new Fat Bike. If you have any questions or concerns, please reply to this email.

Best regards,

The Friendly Folks at Bikesdirect.com "

After reading this, I called and expressed how disappointed I was with the fact that I would have to wait an additional month to month and a half. I asked if there is anything they can do to make this situation better. I suggested maybe upgrading me to a slightly better model that would be available sooner and they flat right refused. Said my options are that I could wait or get a refund. I took the refund.

Will never do business with them, and will share my experience with the many folks that I ride with. DO NOT USE BIKES DIRECT, ZERO CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!
JayK

garyy4
4/15/15

I just purchased the Gravity FX1 & let me tell u, this bike is awesome.I took it out just on regular back mountain roads but this bike shifted great even under pressure going up.I had 2 do some fine tuning 2 the front & rear gear units.the brakes stop on a dime, I ddefinitively would say this bike will hold up 2 a much more expensive bike.after you adjust the front & mid shock this bikes smooth.so dont waste your money on $200.00 bikes at department stores, if you have the extra cash spend it.you will not regret it.

reym3
4/9/15

I ordered a Windsor Clockwork Plus from bikes direct, it was delivered today 4/9/15 everything looked ok upon inspection (no damages) until I started the assembly process to find out the forks don't fit on the wheel screws, either the screw is to wide or the forks are to narrow it appears to be a factory defect, when I contacted them with the problem they quickly told me how to fix it, I just had to use a tool to open the fork drop out and it worked perfectly..of course with some help from youtube here is the video on how to fix a pinched fork drop out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sTVng_JrQQ
Bike directs reimburse me $40 dollar for fixing the item myself. that was great!.
Now I am enjoying my bike, it is a great bike, thou I am worry for the wheels they are too thin and my city street are in bad shape.
a tip to Bikes Direct, add a page on your site and title it how to fix common problems on your bikes and look for youtube videos and attached the links. Customers will thank you a lot.
I am thinking in getting a cyclecross bike and for sure I will get it brom BD.

lawrencec6
4/9/15

I ordered a Moto full carbon Immortal bike with SRAM force components.
Had the bike for 3 years now and absolutely no problems! Like the way it rides ....not crazy
about SRAM shifting but that's a personal preference (I wanted to try it out).
At the time one could not touch a bike spec'ed like that for $1000 more than I paid for it.

joshn13
4/8/15

I was very excited when the UPS man came to my door. But comes to find out..BD only delivered just the frame...Where are the rest of the bike? wheels, tires, seat, handle bars, etc.... And worst yet, there is no phone number to call, only phone number if you want to order... email only. This is BS as i already signed up for a race this Saturday. Major disappointment !!! Never Again !!!

stevens80
3/30/15

I got the Night Train Bullet 2015. I basically pulled it out of the box, (packaged great by the way), and assembled it. Perfect out of the box aside from a tighten here and there. Headset was a tiny bit loose but nothing a hex wrench couldn't fix in about 30 seconds. Took less than a half hour to put together and tighten everything. Took longer to remove the packaging than it did to put it together, that being a good thing! Checked the tire pressure, and have been riding it ever since. Great top of the line parts and even a Bluto fork! This same bike in a shop near my house was $3500. Bikes direct was awesome and good with communication. Emails are answered within a day or two, most. I have heard from other riders about several bikes they sell and they were also very satisfied. If you don't mind assembly and doing your own maintenance you can't go wrong. Assembly is a piece of cake and you can always bring it to a shop for service if your uncomfortable doing your own. I got the same bike for $2000 less than my local shop. If you want to save a chunk of change go with Bikesdirect.com!

dwightw10
3/26/15

3 weeks ago I bought this bike. All I can say for now that it has been a good bike and have rode many times. I read some of the other reviews stating how difficult it was to put the bike together, don't believe it. I had the bike in rideable condition in 30 minutes or so. The only change that I made to this bike was to add the following parts.

1 Shimano pedals because I ride most of the time with my feet in the cleated to the pedals.
2 Water bottle rack
3 Battery operated lighting system.

I will be adding a rack to the back sometime in the future.

The things that I liked the most about this bike are the Disc brakes and the red wheels. It shift well right out of the box. Also the finish on this bike was very good. I didn't notice any blemishes on the finish.

I have owned many different types of bikes, road, mountain. I can honestly say that this bike may not be in the same quality as a custom made bike but on the whole this bike is very good and a good bargain.

reneew17
3/24/15

The free shipping was incredibly Fast! ordered on Thurs, arrived on Sat. Everything was packed great! Everything arrived in perfect condition. We had our bike together and were riding in less than an hour. No surprises. Everything was exactly as pictured, except the color was SOOOOO much prettier! The whole bike was better than pictured. We bought a Gravity full suspension mountain bike. We will not buy from a reg. store again.

scottg49
3/22/15

I knew what I wanted. Found it here for a great price.

gregoryn6
3/17/15

I had my doubts. I hoped it would be acceptable. But it is so much more. This bike is awesome and I saved $1,000 over what people here wanted me to pay. O got a gorgeous Motobecane Sturgis Bullet. She's a fatty that rolls over everything. And she is my pride and joy. Bikes Direct is the real deal, friends. They are working for you. They did for me. The bike is better than promised. This bike kicks ass!

anneb33
3/12/15

everyone I dealt with was so helpful and friendly, besides knowing their stuff, which made it go smoothly, can't wait til the next time.

markw119
3/11/15

I bought a Fantom 29er at the beginning of last summer. I went for 3 rides, and my derailer hanger broke. I ordered another one, fixed it, and it broke again after 3 more rides. Same thing again. i have never ever had a hanger break, and all of the sudden I broke 3 on one bike in 9 rides. Don't buy one of these unless you want to do a hanger repleacement or hike your bike back mid-ride every third ride.

joaom2
2/27/15

I’m a 50 year old Brazilian guy, and a experienced cyclist with 15 years of competitions when I was young. I purchased two Gravity 27,5 during my vacations last year in USA. The first for my wife, in May, and the second to my daughter, in December, this last with hydraulic brakes. Spending U$1.000 for both, they were a great bought. The delivery was on time, the bikes in perfect state, and until now they are working perfectly. My with, that suffers with back pain, saw her pains disappear with the new bike. Scaling about 13 kg, they are not too light as announced, but I can say that is the best weight and components we can buy for the value. In my next travel I will by a speed bike, to alternate the use with my old Stumpjumper.

jamesd130
2/16/15

I purchased a Gravity 29Point3 18 months ago. I am 230lbs so the bike supports quite the load, and last year, I rode every month (some were cold rides) and other than the chain break, which was replaced by Bikes Direct without issue, the bike has been great. Small adjustments here and there that come with using a bike but I love it. I have had at least 2 friends that have since purchase Bikes Direct bikes and I am eyeballing a full suspension upgrade. I just wanted to say thanks and I love my bike.

Tip for consumers: Best deals I could find anywhere component for component.

benjaminh26
2/10/15

Got a 2015 Boris the Brute fat bike delivered last week. What an awesome bike. Super fun to ride in the snow and slush around here right now. It has the Rockshox Bluto fork, which makes it ride and feel perfect and very comfortable. The hydraulic brakes are fantastic, the seat comfortable. It took me about 1/2 hour to put together without instructions (check Youtube for the front brake adjustment - nothing rubs on mine, and everything is perfect and smooth as silk, shifting, etc.) I'm grateful for Bikesdirect, as I would not have bought a fat bike if I had to get it from my local bike shop, as they were out of my price range. Even this was a stretch, but ... I'm stoked on the bike, and highly recommend spending the extra money on a little more high end components, that come on the Boris the Brute. You may never go back to any other bike. I believe in supporting your local bike shop, which I did when purchasing my mountain bike (2014 Trek Fuel ex7 w/ icespiker tires - yes! winter riding!) but wouldn't have been able to afford a fat bike if it wasn't for Bikesdirect.com (maybe the local bike shop prices will be dropping now that these bikes are available?). If you need a bike right away, go to the local bike shop, but if you don't mind waiting a few months, and easy assembly, definitely don't hesitate to buy from Bikesdirect. I'm not a bike mechanic, and just had standard tools (no pedal wrench, etc. - but I did happen to have a Torx T25 for the front disk, because I work on my chainsaw). If you have a few allan wrenches and that Torx T25, you should have your bike together and smooth easy in less than an hour. By the way, the Boris the Brute kicks asssss!!!!!!! Super fun to ride! Oh, and excellent customer service and communication through email. Thanks everyone at Bikesdirect.com!

johnz30
2/9/15

I purchased a 2013 Motobecane Fantom Trail Ultra Fly 1•32 early in the spring of 2014. I did so because I was returning to mountain biking after a nearly 15 year absence and wanted the best bike I could get, but I couldn't see dumping 5 grand into one if I couldn't actually hack riding after so long.

The components list (I went for the SRAM package- always loved them) and Kinesis frame (I'd never stopped keeping up with the sport, and was well aware that Kinesis makes EVERYONE'S frames-Trek, GT, etc.) made my decision for me. And I have ridden it to a pulp in all four seasons every year here in North Eastern Pennsylvania continually since. This bike is virtually bombproof.

Bikes Direct provides an exceptional value and fantastic service in that they allow those of us on a tighter budget who have been in love with the sport since it's inception the ability to continue riding.

If I hit the lottery tomorrow, I won't be blowing it on a couple Treks or Cannondales, I'll be blowing in on TONS OF BIKES DIRECT BIKES.

I will never buy from another manufacturer as long as Bikes Direct exists. My five year old son is rapidly becoming a fan of riding and I always teach him the value of a dollar, so next generation is a lock.

I will continue to convert Brand name snobs by extolling the virtues of Bike Direct. Let the name brand snobs pay more than they have to on bikes, then spend valuable riding time working extra hours to pay off the debt. Me? I'll be riding my Bikes Direct Motobecane well into the next decade.

Tip for consumers: If you don't know what size bike you need, or how to figure out what size bike you need, contact Bikes Direct. They will help you through the process.
Here's the link to their sizing tips page.

17 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the BikesDirect staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Yeah, they do have really good deals. Do you know if you need to have it built or can you just do it yourself if you have enough knowledge? Just wondering how easy it is
6/21/10
Answer
mikes244
A: Here are some good assembly videos showing a mountain bike and a road bike. It's pretty easy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPLfsDliEk
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Q: How much can you get a shop to assemble the bikes for you if I do not want to do it myself? Are they as light as they claim?
4/4/15
Answer
chrisp93
A: Shop costs vary...50 - $100 for assembly...... Yes, I have found my bike to be right on the numbers as far as weight....
4 weeks ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

25 Photos for BikesDirect