US Government's NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

joem125

Amazing support that I have only previously seen when working with a local bike shop. (in 33 reviews)

benjaminh26

Oh, and excellent customer service and communication through email. (in 18 reviews)

williamb104

I just purchased my 4th road bike from Bikes Direct and would like to recommend them to all. (in 21 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

williamd59
5/23/15

I purchased the Fantom Pro TI 29er. It took 4 working days to arrive, which I thought was very reasonable. The only reason I didn't give 5stars is in my opinion there was more than 90% assembly. Besides seat, disk and wheels the front caliper and rear deraileur also required assembly. The rr deraileur high and low stops were adjusted. It took some time to get the proper cable setting and B tension setting, but there are good videos on YouTube. It took about 45 minutes to assemble and 1.5hrs to tune everything to my liking. The shock needs to be set to your weight and the Rock Shock pamlet that was provided does not give any PSI recommendations. Rock Shock's website has recommendations. Took it out on the trail and the bike is very fast. It carries speed much better than my 26 Stump Jumper FSR. I am glad I purchased from Bikes Direct. I saved money and learned how to tune the gears. Now as the cables and chain start to stretch, I am confident I will be able to adjust them on my own saving more money and time.

davidw216
5/18/15

I have purchased two fatbikes from BikesDirect in the last year, and I cant say enough good things about either the bikes or the company.

The bikes are a great value, and are high quality. The service from the company has been good, I have communicated with their staff on a number of occasions and they are always able to help and in a timely manner.

I would not hesitate to purchase from this company again. I plan to purchase a fatbike for my wife from BikesDirect in the next year.

Tip for consumers: The website looks dated, but the values are real.

dionc3
5/13/15

The Boris X7 is my 6th bike from Bikesdirect and they just keep getting better. I bought the bike to counter all the potholes we have here in NYC and wow, I've gone from avoiding potholes, to trying to find them. as usual everything about the parts and build on the bike are above and beyond anything you will find anywhere else for the price. Highly suggested to buy this bike without hesitation.

billr46
5/13/15

Buying a bike without riding it? Are you crazy? Well yes and I'm also thrifty! I'll gladly deal with assembly and fitting to save $500.00 Yes....$500.00 under the same bike my local bike shop was trying to charge for the same components. I like my local shop and I'll still buy small stuff for more but when we're talking enough for airfare to Vegas, I'm buying on line.

rigobertoc16
5/11/15

I bought a full suspension gravity mountain bike. All came as espected. I recommend gravity bikes to everyone who wants a good bike for a reasonable price.

timr41
5/10/15

I have 2 awesome bikes from Bikesdirect!
I have a Dawes SST Al. and a Gravity Point2 29er.
I am now looking to add a 27.5 Gravity 27FIVE singlespeed, or a Gravity Deadeye 26+ non monster. Do I want 2.2 Racing Ralphs, or surly 3" Knards? tough choice!

What most might not like about BikesDirect, I LOVE!!

we get a great bike for a great price, and the stuff that we all swap out anyways saddles seatpost, handlebars.... Is lower end, thus the lower prices. However that lower end stuff is actually nice and very function-able.
My Dawes, I dropped a parts bin seatpost/saddle on it and changed nothing else for 2,000 miles. Eventually I tried a 46 chainring then went back to the 48 that came with it. I did change tires t a red tire, but the tires that came with the Dawes are better! and because I had bars in my parts bin I swapped them.. honestly that was probably a waste of time and bar tape. but I like to tinker, I like to make Bicycles mine. I'll add a photo of how my Dawes sits now.

My Gravity Point2 great bike out of the box! On it I changed saddle, I changed the bars to a flat sweep (user preference). I took off the 2.1 mtb tires and put on 700cx40 for commuting, and then I put the 2.1 mtb back on.

I think it is great place for bike for those who like to tinker, and there is also nothing wrong with Bikedirect bikes for riding them how they come!

Edit: I really don't have the details on shipping, other than I shipped one to Ohio. One to Florida. Both shipped in very reasonable time. the only hitch was on the Gravity I used Paypal. That in an of itself wasn't a bad thing... Except my CC had expired. I hadn't updated it. so I had to wait on Paypal to clear payment. which speaking of I should go review Paypal on here, they deserve a negative-10!!!!!! Multiple times they have done more harm than good.

Oh and I tossed the Gravity Point2 up against some Giants today on a Giant demo. XTC, Trance, Anthem, Stance. The price point of a Talon3 27.5 might give a Gravity 27FIVE G2 27.5 run for its money. I wasn't that impressed with high dollar bikes today!
Most of us are not racing, and even if we are it not sponsored Pro racing.... thus a Bikesdirect bike. Doesn't really change anything except doing less damage to the bank account. For that they deserve more stars!!!

matthiasj4
5/1/15

I bought a bike for my wife. The saddle post will not fit into the frame because the frame itself is bent. Called and write BK 4X and never got a live person or a reply. Son't believe the sales pitch of a $800 bike for $399. You are getting a $200 bike for 2X the price with ZERO support.

johnd363
4/22/15

Its amazing these guys are in business with such poor customer service! I followed THEIR guidelines for customer interaction over THEIR phone. I was going to buy their bike but I had one question which I could not find an answer to on their website concerning shipping. I called and left a message expecting a next day response. I called the next day informing them again that I was a ready buyer, still no response. Finally I called 9 times in a row and guess what they were there the whole time and sounded irritated they had to answer! (I was going to stop at 25. lol!) Needless to say, I paid $100 more at a local store and got a fully assembled bike the same day with a full year of tune ups and supported my local community!

jasonk50
4/16/15

Hi,
Ordered a Motobecane 2015 Sturgis fat bike in orange back in March. Paid a slight discount to receive the bike at a later date. Date of delivery was May 15- May 25. In April I get an email that reads "Update on your order -

We have good news and bad news... Good news is that by placing your order early, you have beat the price increase! Bad news is that the factory is running a month behind on these so the arrival date has been pushed back by a month. We are now excpecting them late June/early July.

We appreciate your prolonged patience and will ship theses bikes as soon as they unload! If we get any new updates in the mean time, we be sure to notify you right away.

Thanks again for being a smart cyclist and saving hundreds off your new Fat Bike. If you have any questions or concerns, please reply to this email.

Best regards,

The Friendly Folks at Bikesdirect.com "

After reading this, I called and expressed how disappointed I was with the fact that I would have to wait an additional month to month and a half. I asked if there is anything they can do to make this situation better. I suggested maybe upgrading me to a slightly better model that would be available sooner and they flat right refused. Said my options are that I could wait or get a refund. I took the refund.

Will never do business with them, and will share my experience with the many folks that I ride with. DO NOT USE BIKES DIRECT, ZERO CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!
JayK

garyy4
4/15/15

I just purchased the Gravity FX1 & let me tell u, this bike is awesome.I took it out just on regular back mountain roads but this bike shifted great even under pressure going up.I had 2 do some fine tuning 2 the front & rear gear units.the brakes stop on a dime, I ddefinitively would say this bike will hold up 2 a much more expensive bike.after you adjust the front & mid shock this bikes smooth.so dont waste your money on $200.00 bikes at department stores, if you have the extra cash spend it.you will not regret it.

reym3
4/9/15

I ordered a Windsor Clockwork Plus from bikes direct, it was delivered today 4/9/15 everything looked ok upon inspection (no damages) until I started the assembly process to find out the forks don't fit on the wheel screws, either the screw is to wide or the forks are to narrow it appears to be a factory defect, when I contacted them with the problem they quickly told me how to fix it, I just had to use a tool to open the fork drop out and it worked perfectly..of course with some help from youtube here is the video on how to fix a pinched fork drop out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sTVng_JrQQ
Bike directs reimburse me $40 dollar for fixing the item myself. that was great!.
Now I am enjoying my bike, it is a great bike, thou I am worry for the wheels they are too thin and my city street are in bad shape.
a tip to Bikes Direct, add a page on your site and title it how to fix common problems on your bikes and look for youtube videos and attached the links. Customers will thank you a lot.
I am thinking in getting a cyclecross bike and for sure I will get it brom BD.

lawrencec6
4/9/15

I ordered a Moto full carbon Immortal bike with SRAM force components.
Had the bike for 3 years now and absolutely no problems! Like the way it rides ....not crazy
about SRAM shifting but that's a personal preference (I wanted to try it out).
At the time one could not touch a bike spec'ed like that for $1000 more than I paid for it.

joshn13
4/8/15

I was very excited when the UPS man came to my door. But comes to find out..BD only delivered just the frame...Where are the rest of the bike? wheels, tires, seat, handle bars, etc.... And worst yet, there is no phone number to call, only phone number if you want to order... email only. This is BS as i already signed up for a race this Saturday. Major disappointment !!! Never Again !!!

stevens80
3/30/15

I got the Night Train Bullet 2015. I basically pulled it out of the box, (packaged great by the way), and assembled it. Perfect out of the box aside from a tighten here and there. Headset was a tiny bit loose but nothing a hex wrench couldn't fix in about 30 seconds. Took less than a half hour to put together and tighten everything. Took longer to remove the packaging than it did to put it together, that being a good thing! Checked the tire pressure, and have been riding it ever since. Great top of the line parts and even a Bluto fork! This same bike in a shop near my house was $3500. Bikes direct was awesome and good with communication. Emails are answered within a day or two, most. I have heard from other riders about several bikes they sell and they were also very satisfied. If you don't mind assembly and doing your own maintenance you can't go wrong. Assembly is a piece of cake and you can always bring it to a shop for service if your uncomfortable doing your own. I got the same bike for $2000 less than my local shop. If you want to save a chunk of change go with Bikesdirect.com!

dwightw10
3/26/15

3 weeks ago I bought this bike. All I can say for now that it has been a good bike and have rode many times. I read some of the other reviews stating how difficult it was to put the bike together, don't believe it. I had the bike in rideable condition in 30 minutes or so. The only change that I made to this bike was to add the following parts.

1 Shimano pedals because I ride most of the time with my feet in the cleated to the pedals.
2 Water bottle rack
3 Battery operated lighting system.

I will be adding a rack to the back sometime in the future.

The things that I liked the most about this bike are the Disc brakes and the red wheels. It shift well right out of the box. Also the finish on this bike was very good. I didn't notice any blemishes on the finish.

I have owned many different types of bikes, road, mountain. I can honestly say that this bike may not be in the same quality as a custom made bike but on the whole this bike is very good and a good bargain.

reneew17
3/24/15

The free shipping was incredibly Fast! ordered on Thurs, arrived on Sat. Everything was packed great! Everything arrived in perfect condition. We had our bike together and were riding in less than an hour. No surprises. Everything was exactly as pictured, except the color was SOOOOO much prettier! The whole bike was better than pictured. We bought a Gravity full suspension mountain bike. We will not buy from a reg. store again.

scottg49
3/22/15

I knew what I wanted. Found it here for a great price.

gregoryn6
3/17/15

I had my doubts. I hoped it would be acceptable. But it is so much more. This bike is awesome and I saved $1,000 over what people here wanted me to pay. O got a gorgeous Motobecane Sturgis Bullet. She's a fatty that rolls over everything. And she is my pride and joy. Bikes Direct is the real deal, friends. They are working for you. They did for me. The bike is better than promised. This bike kicks ass!

anneb33
3/12/15

everyone I dealt with was so helpful and friendly, besides knowing their stuff, which made it go smoothly, can't wait til the next time.

markw119
3/11/15

I bought a Fantom 29er at the beginning of last summer. I went for 3 rides, and my derailer hanger broke. I ordered another one, fixed it, and it broke again after 3 more rides. Same thing again. i have never ever had a hanger break, and all of the sudden I broke 3 on one bike in 9 rides. Don't buy one of these unless you want to do a hanger repleacement or hike your bike back mid-ride every third ride.

joaom2
2/27/15

I’m a 50 year old Brazilian guy, and a experienced cyclist with 15 years of competitions when I was young. I purchased two Gravity 27,5 during my vacations last year in USA. The first for my wife, in May, and the second to my daughter, in December, this last with hydraulic brakes. Spending U$1.000 for both, they were a great bought. The delivery was on time, the bikes in perfect state, and until now they are working perfectly. My with, that suffers with back pain, saw her pains disappear with the new bike. Scaling about 13 kg, they are not too light as announced, but I can say that is the best weight and components we can buy for the value. In my next travel I will by a speed bike, to alternate the use with my old Stumpjumper.

jamesd130
2/16/15

I purchased a Gravity 29Point3 18 months ago. I am 230lbs so the bike supports quite the load, and last year, I rode every month (some were cold rides) and other than the chain break, which was replaced by Bikes Direct without issue, the bike has been great. Small adjustments here and there that come with using a bike but I love it. I have had at least 2 friends that have since purchase Bikes Direct bikes and I am eyeballing a full suspension upgrade. I just wanted to say thanks and I love my bike.

Tip for consumers: Best deals I could find anywhere component for component.

benjaminh26
2/10/15

Got a 2015 Boris the Brute fat bike delivered last week. What an awesome bike. Super fun to ride in the snow and slush around here right now. It has the Rockshox Bluto fork, which makes it ride and feel perfect and very comfortable. The hydraulic brakes are fantastic, the seat comfortable. It took me about 1/2 hour to put together without instructions (check Youtube for the front brake adjustment - nothing rubs on mine, and everything is perfect and smooth as silk, shifting, etc.) I'm grateful for Bikesdirect, as I would not have bought a fat bike if I had to get it from my local bike shop, as they were out of my price range. Even this was a stretch, but ... I'm stoked on the bike, and highly recommend spending the extra money on a little more high end components, that come on the Boris the Brute. You may never go back to any other bike. I believe in supporting your local bike shop, which I did when purchasing my mountain bike (2014 Trek Fuel ex7 w/ icespiker tires - yes! winter riding!) but wouldn't have been able to afford a fat bike if it wasn't for Bikesdirect.com (maybe the local bike shop prices will be dropping now that these bikes are available?). If you need a bike right away, go to the local bike shop, but if you don't mind waiting a few months, and easy assembly, definitely don't hesitate to buy from Bikesdirect. I'm not a bike mechanic, and just had standard tools (no pedal wrench, etc. - but I did happen to have a Torx T25 for the front disk, because I work on my chainsaw). If you have a few allan wrenches and that Torx T25, you should have your bike together and smooth easy in less than an hour. By the way, the Boris the Brute kicks asssss!!!!!!! Super fun to ride! Oh, and excellent customer service and communication through email. Thanks everyone at Bikesdirect.com!

johnz30
2/9/15

I purchased a 2013 Motobecane Fantom Trail Ultra Fly 1•32 early in the spring of 2014. I did so because I was returning to mountain biking after a nearly 15 year absence and wanted the best bike I could get, but I couldn't see dumping 5 grand into one if I couldn't actually hack riding after so long.

The components list (I went for the SRAM package- always loved them) and Kinesis frame (I'd never stopped keeping up with the sport, and was well aware that Kinesis makes EVERYONE'S frames-Trek, GT, etc.) made my decision for me. And I have ridden it to a pulp in all four seasons every year here in North Eastern Pennsylvania continually since. This bike is virtually bombproof.

Bikes Direct provides an exceptional value and fantastic service in that they allow those of us on a tighter budget who have been in love with the sport since it's inception the ability to continue riding.

If I hit the lottery tomorrow, I won't be blowing it on a couple Treks or Cannondales, I'll be blowing in on TONS OF BIKES DIRECT BIKES.

I will never buy from another manufacturer as long as Bikes Direct exists. My five year old son is rapidly becoming a fan of riding and I always teach him the value of a dollar, so next generation is a lock.

I will continue to convert Brand name snobs by extolling the virtues of Bike Direct. Let the name brand snobs pay more than they have to on bikes, then spend valuable riding time working extra hours to pay off the debt. Me? I'll be riding my Bikes Direct Motobecane well into the next decade.

Tip for consumers: If you don't know what size bike you need, or how to figure out what size bike you need, contact Bikes Direct. They will help you through the process.
Here's the link to their sizing tips page.

scottw52
2/9/15

This review is based entirely on my personal experience with the whole process of obtaining a bike from Bikes Direct.
First the Bad:
I ordered a 29ER 4BY4 SRAM X9 30 speed full suspension bike and was able to finally ride it exactly 3 months later. This was not all Bikes Direct's fault since the dockworkers union and management were moving like molasses (right during Christmas rush) on shipments coming in. I received the bike a full 2 months after ordering. Another reason for the delay was I had to take it to a bike shop because neither front nor rear shock would "lock out" as advertised. I was never able to talk directly with a bikes Direct tech person, I had to communicate with email only and it sounded like the general response for faulty equipment is it take it to your local bike shop instead of providing some basic troubleshooting on your own. The front shock was low on oil and the shop corrected that by filling with the correct amount (but it still never locked out fully like my old Suntour did). The rear shock, I was told by the local bike guy (as he was evaluating the Monarch RT3 and simultaneously conversing on the phone with the Rockshox rep) that this was a custom shock built for this particular Motobecane model and they could not just ship me a replacement; the original one (that had a manufacturing date of 1 month prior to my order, according to the shock's serial #) had to be shipped back to the factory and examined/rebuilt at their discretion. When I finally got word from the local shop that my bike was ready, neither front nor rear shock completely locked out and they were not supposed to, as implied in the description of the bike on Bikes Direct that said both front and rear shocks had "turnkey lockout".
The Good/Not so Bad:
I finally picked up the bike yesterday as soon as it was ready and got to ride the bike yesterday, a full 3 months after ordering. I think I will like the bike and consider it a good value but I will have to put in several days of riding to see how I like a full-suspension bike that will not completely lock-out. The delays were not all Bikes Direct fault, I am sure. The shop told me that UPS had shipped the shock to the wrong place and that cost 3 or 4 days as well. I may order from them again, but only if I am willing to deal with assembly myself or take to the local shop (but I am a pretty decent mechanic), resolve most problems myself and not in a hurry. The sales people were very friendly and helpful. The tech rep. via email was polite but of little help other than to tell me to take it to the local bike shop for evaluation/repair, but they said they would help cover the cost of the labor for the shocks. Rockshox covered the cost of shipment and rebuild of the original rear shock by changing the ports to make a stiffer shock.
My opinion is the description of the bike's features was misleading as far as the shock's lockout feature. It should not be called "turnkey lockout" if their is still significant movement after it is locked out.

Tip for consumers: Do not be in a rush to get a bike that is not ready for shipping right away.

carlb40
2/6/15

The full carbon Motobecane Le Champion CF Elite is the third bike I have purchased from BikesDirect. You can read the specs on their website. The frame is the newest type of all carbon with larger tubes for reduced flex. Yet, it is smooth as butter to ride. The Mavic wheels get very good reviews and the tires are hard in road contact and softer on the sides for vibration absorption. Tom Ritchey seat, comfortable, stem, bar, seat tube are first class. The Ultegra shifters a famous and fine. The Tektro brakes stop well even with given pads. Will probably put KoolStop pads on soon. KoolStop gets top recommendations.

Must now go for a ride................C. B.

Tip for consumers: Looks like a fine site. Will return. C. B.

victord15
2/3/15

I gotta say I love my new Boris X5. A beautiful bike, rides smoothly and shifts like a dream. Won't be my last bike from bikes direct. E mails are returned quickly. I'm very pleased

davidh201
2/3/15

I have tried to order a mountain bike,but they were out of stock. second different bike was out of stock. third and still different bike was out of stock. do they keep anything in stock or how does this work? I am ready to buy.

joa1238
2/3/15

Bought 3 bikes from them In less than a year! Had a minor problem with one but customer service resolved it really quickly. Lots of bikes to choose from and the popular ones gets sold out pretty fast. Had to pre order one but it arrived as expected. Thanks BD!

deanah2
1/30/15

What amazing customer service! "Karla" is the best there is. She walked me through the entire return process like I was the only customer in the world. You don't find that very often anymore. I will never buy a bike anywhere else. BikesDirect is the BEST! Thank you so much, Karla!!

jamesd129
1/30/15

I bought a wheelset, advertised to be 130mm rear spacing. I received them very quickly, nicely packed.

However, upon measuring, the rear wheel spacing was 135mm and not usable on my bike.

One email to their service people resulted in a return email with a UPS shipping label to put on the box for return.

I will not hesitate to shop here again for bikes or parts

williamf43
1/29/15

This is my third commentary..BD was great in every aspect of purchase. And my wife purchased a new bike at the LBS (local bike store), she was pleased as well. The told expense exceeded $1400. What you really don't realize during either purchase process is a "happy bike owner" is all about the "FINAL" FIT (and this where EVERYONE errors). No matter where you get bike, this fit is critical, since "fine tune" fit adjustments are required to get the bike where it needs to be to maximize your bike riding comfort, and those adjustments occurs after purchase. Further making those adjustments may required additional (UNEXPECTED) dollars...and that's the rub! So what do you need to aware of: (1) Legs almost fully extended on pedals when riding [how high can seat post; stem & handlebars be raised (adjusted) to meet your longterm needs (there is a point where cables have to be replaced or stems or handlebars or seat posts, additional costs around $125 or more)]; (2) arms parallel to ground when grabbing handlebars [if not you may have hand, neck or back issues develop (same fixes as #1 but add "ergo" grips, another $30)]; (3) seat [continual issues, never properly fit, yet easily solved; everyone has "sitz" bones; those bones are the determining factor in fit; seat size & hardness is not relevant; to determine location & proper fit, you sit in special cushion which helps identify bone location/size which provides seat recommendations)]; (4) correct bicycle start position [feet over bar, push forward to start with one foot on ground one foot on pedal, rise up to sit on seat other foot on pedal, when you stop your balls of feet touch ground, you "DO NOT" sit on bicycle seat flat footed at start-up]. FINALLY REMEMBER THAT ALL THESE ADJUSTMENTS ARE MADE AFTER PURCHASE WHEN YOU THOUGHT YOU HAD PURCHASED A PROPERLY FIT BIKE!

nathang28
1/29/15

Bought my first new bike from the Guys/Gals (Boris X5) and it has been years (I'm 46) since I have had customer service this good! A real person contacted me (Larry-awesome dude) asap and once I didn't even have time to fix a cup of coffee-really! I had a minor issue that was caused by shipping and not on them and they took care of it within minutes-I am not a person to write a review-my first ever actually, but this company does business like I remember as a youngster here in the great USA and I will continue to support them! thanks so much if any of you from "BikesDirect" reads this -YOU guys Rock!!!

Tip for consumers: Remember-the price you see is what you pay-no hidden cost and that is awesome!!! These guys put it straight and that is what this Country needs more of. Keep on blazing the trail BikesDirect and maybe more will follow!

marks207
1/19/15

Just got my Boris X5 Fat Tire. ROCKS! If you don't want to break the bank...and yet don't want a crippled ride...buy it! Nice color. Decent specs. Rides super. I've got 7 bikes from BikesDirect...and NO I'm not family! They always provide the best deal and these days the bikes take 10 minutes to assemble...and then you're off! Isn't that what you want???

joem125
1/5/15

I decided I wanted to get a fat bike but I didn't want to spend a ton of money. I was very surprised to find a HUGE selection of fat bikes available from BikesDirect. Multiple manufactures and price ranges for everyone. I picked a bike with spec's that would have cost me 3x anywhere else. The bike shipped right away, was packed well and had not scratches or anything. I assembled it quickly and the only thing it needed was a bit more grease on the headset bearings. I took it out for it's first spin and it's awesome. I've showed the bike to many of my cycling friends and they are very impressed with it. BikesDirect has also been great to work with from a support standpoint. They quickly answered my email about which D-hanger to order to have a spare and when there was a bead issue with my tires after only 12 rides they sent me a new pair with tubes at no cost. Amazing support that I have only previously seen when working with a local bike shop.

Tip for consumers: The web site is a bit sparse when it comes to some of the bike details so you'll have to check out other sources like the manufacture web site or places like mtbr.com for more detail

paulk81
12/30/14

After deciding I wanted a cyclocross bike, I went to the bike shop I used to work for and even with my former employee discount, the price was a bit high in my opinion for what the bike level was. I bought the Motobecane Fantom CX from bikesdirect.com which had the same level of components as the other bike at the shop for $400 less! Again, I used to work at this shop and get a good discount, usually 10% above cost. The bike arrived at my door in two days after ordering and upon unboxing/building it, I was very happy with the quality of everything. While fine adjusting the rear brakes, I noticed the rear rim had a "dip" in it but it didn't bother me since it didn't cause the tire to rub against the brake pads. As a former bike shop repairman I've seen many a rim with a slight dip where the rim is welded together and it's usually not a problem. When I rode the bike, I was again very pleased with the fit and feel of the bike and function of its components. I did notice the dip in the rear wheel though when above 15mph so I contacted bikesdirect.com to inquire about warranty. I was asked to take a short video of the wheel spinning so they could see it, which I did, and they immediately responded with a tracking number of the new wheel they were sending me. That is great service! As a former bicycle shop employee/repairman of 5+ years, I can honestly say that the quality of bikesdirect.com product and service is outstanding. I read reviews for bikesdirect.com before purchasing and the ones that were negative were obviously written by people who don't know anything about bikes or by disgruntled bike shop owners. I hope this review will help to counter that.

Tip for consumers: Don't be fooled by bad reviews. Read them carefully to make sure a bad review is reasonable and not written by an idiot!

gregl27
12/29/14

I’ve been mountain biking for quite a few years. I wanted to get a FatBike, but really didn’t want to spend top dollar on a bike I may or may not like. After a little researching I came across BikeDirect.com. My wife and myself decided to both go with the Boris X7. I have to say all the great reviews I came across regarding the quality of the bikes, the great customer service are all very true. We’ve had the bikes for just about a month now and these bikes are the only bikes we are riding. Our “regular” mountain bikes are just sitting in the garage. This past weekend, I noticed a gritty noise coming from my freehub body. I sent an email to BD asking them if the rear hub is compatible with Shimano or Sram free hub body thinking replacement when this free hub body fails. Their response within 15 minutes was a new freehub body is in the mail. Amazing customer service. If anyone is looking for a great bike with amazing customer service, definitely check out Bike Direct.

srtc
12/28/14

Bought two 450HT's for the kids for christmas this year. Both arrived very rapidly and were exactly as listed on the website. Each bike had a very minor issue: One had leaking tube, other had a broken small plastic clip. After an email to BikesDirect support, replacement parts were in the mail THAT DAY and I had new ones in-hand with 3 days. No questions asked and I amazed at their response! I'm very pleased. As for bike quality, I was also impressed. I was skeptical because I bought one of the lower priced models. Quality is comparable to bike-shop bikes and MUCH better than big-box store junk. Going to order from them again, once I get some money saved. Nothing bad to say.

brandonm47
12/26/14

I ordered the Motobecane gran premio elite and couldn't be more happy. It was shipped extremely fast, and arrived in less than a week (even over the Christmas holiday rush). Bikesdirect packaged the bice nicely, it could have been hit by the UPS truck and still arrived in great condition. Nothing but positive reviews from me. Now if they could get the Montana Winter weather to be a little nicer, I would be thrilled; and pay extra for it.

Tip for consumers: Look to Bikesdirect before you look anywhere else.

steved58
12/23/14

I just bought my first bike from Bikes Direct and I'm happy with the product, shipping and service. I was mostly afraid that the bike would be damaged in shipping and I had no idea how the service would be. I ordered on a Monday morning and I got it Thursday morning (Florida to Illinois). The box was in mint condition. The bike was without blemish in the box and packed fairly well. On examination I believed I had a defective part on the bike and I emailed Bikes Direct about it. Turns out I was wrong and I figured that out before they got back to me. When I got an email back from Larry, he explained that this is how that particular part is, however, he had seen issues with this part recently so he sent out a replacement of a higher quality. I think this was a good move and showed he wanted to make sure I didn't have any trouble down the road.

I will be buying from Bikes Direct again based on my first dealing with them.

pinakim1
12/23/14

Thought this is a small business, they try to deliver a great customer service. Not only I bought a cool bike from them for a bargain price, but also when the got lost due to UPS, they created service request and finally I could get my bike. For this issue, they also sent me a surprise gift. Now they may not have a 24/7 customer service care; but they try to help with email.

pinakim
12/22/14

This site not only sells quality bikes for a bargain price but also they have a good customer service. I bought my bike and UPS kind of lost it and I picked it up after several days as they were showing incorrect delivery dates in tracking. However, upon contacting Bikesdirect they created a service request with UPS. Finally as I suffered a delay they surprised me with a great gift. Moreover they always got in touch with me. As it's a small business they may not have 24 hrs customer service phone number but they communicate with email always.

bobbyd27
12/19/14

We ordered a 24 speed Motobecane road bike. I had it assembled by a local bike shop near my job. The LBS did a great job & I purchased a nice bike lock from them as well. The LBS spoke very highly of our new Motobecane bike. I took it for a short test drive to make sure every thing was good. I loved the smooth gear changes with the Shimano system. My son is away in college and he loves it, he rides it several days a week. I will definitely purchase another bike from bikesdirect.com in the future. Delivery was fast also.

danielt47
12/15/14

Good service and grate bang for the buck!
Personal I got Boris X7 knowing that i will be upgrading some components right of the bat. Bike box arrived slightly damaged but bike itself was OK inside .
All in all positive experience from correspondence i head with Bikes Direct they seam to be genuine, helpful and upfront.
Attached image is of a bike 15 minutes after delivery

Tip for consumers: I am from Canada so my advice to fellow Canadians is to get the bike shipped to one of the UPS depo near the border and go get your bike.
I was lucky i have a friend in the stats that was willing to forward the bike to me via UPS but it would of been just slightly more expensive for me to drive and get it, and i would of head it a whole week earlier had i done that. I would not recommend using the my US address bike box is quiet large and shipping will be expensive my shipping was 110 US plus

ranchb
12/12/14

Have not received my bike as of yet but Karla with customer service is amazing. I think she should get a raise and a company car (or bike) and her own parking space. Thank you so much!

chriss218
12/11/14

Had a super experience with BD - bought a Night Train Bullet after looking at other fat bikes in my local stores. I wanted front suspension (Bluto) as well as better hydro brakes and drive train. Nothing for the price I paid would have come close in the bike store. When I first researched BD I was looking for the scam and there isn't one at all. Check around, they are legit and you will end up saving and being happy!

williamb104
12/8/14

I just purchased my 4th road bike from Bikes Direct and would like to recommend them to all. The bikes all arrived safe, quickly and final assembly was not cumbersome. Email communication was fast and very satisfactory. All internet transactions should be as enjoyable.

lancel7
12/7/14

Took delivery on my Bikes Direct "Fatbike" about a month ago and can't say enough about the quality compared to price-point! Nowhere will you find a better deal or better customer service!

Tip for consumers: Seriously consider BD whenever in the market for a new bike.

chrisp93
12/5/14

Bikes Direct has the best product and Customer Service in the business!
I love my bike and plan on purchasing all of my future bikes from BikesDirect.
It is been my experience that they sell superior products at a greatly reduced price...
If buying is believing....Than I am a firm believer!
Thank's to all at Bikes direct for your immediate attention/service and fast delivery!
Cordially, Mr. Perkins, "AKA Happy Customer"

stevec92
12/2/14

When it came to buying a new bike, I have always been someone who believed you always got the best service from your local bike shop. I need to refine that claim by adding Bikesdirect.com. I recently ordered and received my first "fat bike" from them, a Motobecane Night Train. I had originally pre-ordered a different model, but decided to switch to the Night Train when one became available. The folks at BD were extremely accommodating and quick to answer questions both via email and voicemail. The transaction transfer was seamless and the bike was delivered quickly. I had a small issue with a bent part due to shipping damage, but BD sent out a free replacement the same day I made the call. The bike functions flawlessly, is better equipped and cost less than half the price of the bike I was looking at in my local shop. I honestly couldn't be happier. Thanks BD, job well done! ...SC

Tip for consumers: Be aware that some of the bikes sell out quickly or may be available for pre-order only. Patience and timely purchasing pays off, and it's worth it!

5 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the BikesDirect staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
Q: Yeah, they do have really good deals. Do you know if you need to have it built or can you just do it yourself if you have enough knowledge? Just wondering how easy it is
6/21/10
Answer
nathang28
A: Hi Todd, Yes you can do it yourself if you can install the front tire, attach the handlebars straight and put your helmet on without assistance...it's really that easy but it took me 1.5 hrs to do as I double checked everything and tuned it to my spec's. Go For it man!!! keep the box if you ever need to ship it somewhere.
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Q: How much can you get a shop to assemble the bikes for you if I do not want to do it myself? Are they as light as they claim?
4/4/15
Answer
pinakim
A: You need an assembly by shop. It costed me 90 bucks. But it was great. The bike is light.
4/5/15
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the BikesDirect staff and other consumers.
  • From where do products ship?

24 Photos for BikesDirect