SpeedDater

SpeedDater has a consumer rating of 2.16 stars from 48 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. SpeedDater also ranks 143rd among Dating sites. The most common issues with SpeedDater are around customer service, which is not as good as expected by some customers.

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 66.7%

No positive highlights yet

• in three weeks time, there was the mention "Hurry, there are 3 people
  • Paid for a singles party with Speeddater in London and a speed dating event.
How would you rate SpeedDater?

“Top Quality Events”

Bruce C.
7/12/19

I went because I wanted to have a fun experience and was ready to start dating again. There are several different services offered and I found that the quality of people, the venues, and the hosts for the SpeedDater.co.uk events have always been tops. Ultimately it's still dating so the nights are never perfect; but I've always felt comfortable, had a great time, and I've made some great friends. Show up planning on having a good time and you will.

“Appalling”

Sara C.
3/11/20

I attended a speed dating evening event tonight only to find nobody else there. Nobody bothered to phone, text, email, WhatsApp, messenger, write, or FB me to let me know. Furious. When I phoned to find out what was going on, I was told I wasn't on the list and had been taken off it. I hadn't asked to be taken off and had already received confirmation I was on the list. I am left £120 out of pocket for the work I cancelled to make myself free for the evening and arrive on time; I also cancelled my regular sports session for this evening. Reading is just over half an hour's drive from my home and it takes a while to park there. If you also consider reaching the venue from the parking spot, you will appreciate an hour and a half to two hours tonight were spent getting to and from on an event that didn't happen. On the chat facility online, Nicole was pretty useless, simply refunding me the amount paid and was completely disinterested in giving me any compensation: she simply kept asking what else she could do for me. Some compassion, intelligence and suitable offer was expected but apparently too much to ask. I understand that if I do not attend an event, I forfeit the amount paid, yet this company do not reciprocate if they make an error. Scandalous. Do not use this company: they are disorganised and apathetic to the customers they are supposed to be helping. 'Slow dating' are better.

people (24) event (39) customer service (7)
brucec310
July 12th, 2019
stuartr21
October 29th, 2017
Met some fantastic people at the Bristol event last month, matched with a couple of them, all fine. A lot of people on here complaining about fake people turning up to events but everyone seemed genuine and friendly.

The website, however, is a shambles. Full of bots, scammers and randoms, it's basically unusable.
lukel55
August 17th, 2019
The event was well-organized. Speeddater was a great way to meet new people. There were 2 girls I liked a lot and I matched with 1 of them, so I'm pretty excited because we have our first date tonight. I hope it works out. If not, I will definitely do it again.
ericac103
July 27th, 2019
I wasn't sure initially about how I felt about the whole speed dating thing but had decided to give it a try. I found myself looking forward to trying it out. Well I'm glad I went. I had the chance to meet a number of different people. I may not have met my prince charming this time but I will definitely do this again at another events. It's definitely beats the online thing hands down!
laurab863
July 18th, 2019
They have really fun events where you can meet people in a very organic manner. The people at the events are really interesting and they are looking to meet someone which is way better than just going to a bar or club. The events are well organized and generally creatively done. There are always new people to meet at each event, so the singles do vary from event to event.
christief12
August 23rd, 2019
They makes sure to introduce you to others and makes you feel comfortable, especially if you go on your own, which I always do. The events are very well organized, and even if I don't find my match, I always have an enjoyable time meeting new people. I highly recommend giving it a try!
sarac285
March 11th, 2020
christopherp301
July 5th, 2019
I have been to one event so far and it was the most fun had in a very long time! The people at the party were funny and interesting. If you want to expand your social circle, meet attractive individuals, and possibly spark a connection, I suggest you give Speeddater a try.
andyb67
August 31st, 2015
The actual speeddating night was ok and to be expected, but when you get a match and you submit your ticks, you have to carry on messaging your matches through the website? Why cant you just get a mobile number of your matches, i know, so they can grab more money off you!

Its a con because if your 1 month subscription runs out before you get to the point of asking for a phone number, you cant carry on messaging your match unless you pay for another month? I also don't like the fact that you have to sign up to internet dating when you've signed up for speed dating?

It just feels very messy, i wont use them again.
nathaniels18
July 20th, 2015
Went to an event in Reading last month, and...

Positives:
1. Some really nice people there, had a fun evening and several of us found a date
2. The host was a lovely chap and made a clear effort to ensure we all had a good time
3. Had a customer service issue with Speed Dater (for another event), got in touch via email and social media, and was impressed by how quickly and satisfactorily it was resolved

Negatives:
1. £20 feels quite pricy for what it is, considering all that happens is that you're sat at a table for three minutes with your date and rotate round. That's it - no ice breakers or anything to make the mood more romantic etc.
2. The follow up process was a bit confusing - you need to log in the following day to tick who you want to see again from the event. This was mentioned during the event but with all the people you meet gets a little lost. Several of us who went together didn't receive the follow up prompt email for some reason.
3. The website is fairly basic (and you need to use this for the post-event follow up)

Verdict: Worth giving it a go, just remember to log in the day after your event and post your ticks...!
sharonc450
September 15th, 2019
SpeedDater provides excellent speed dating services and parties for single people. I've been to a few of the events. It's perfect for busy professionals who have a tougher time meeting people because of their busy schedules.
joannw64
October 2nd, 2019
I was worried it was going to be really awkward but the hosts made sure everyone was at ease. The icebreakers did exactly what they should have and everyone was really friendly. I would definitely recommend speed dater events to any singles looking to meet others.
mickeyw28
August 11th, 2019
I thought this was a very well organized and put together speed dating event. The location was very nice and upscale and the quality of the matches was very good. I would recommend Speeddater to other single friends. It was overall a very pleasant experience.
alisonf37
October 10th, 2018
Awful awful .. take ur money ... hardly any guys there amidst too many women ... ages not properly given and after service crap ... can never get put through to customer services it plays crap music and then eventually just cuts you off !! I would honestly find a better dating company vis these are thieves .. wouldn't have given 1 star if didn't have to
taynord
July 15th, 2019
It's probably legal and in their terms and conditions, but if you go to a single event, they will actually sign you up for a recurring monthly bill of £24.99. They are a disgustingly sneaky in this and you probably wont get your money back, but definitely drop them immediately.

samanthac9
November 20th, 2013
Attended the London singles party on Saturday. I went along with my 3 friends and we had great fun, it was well organised and very busy. Really loved the venue and the hosts were friendly and helpful! The normal speed dating sessions were a bit loud but there was like 300 people there so i guess that was to be expected. Highly recommend!
helenw19
September 24th, 2013
I can't believe these bad reviews! I have been to 3 different companies and by far these guys are the best, which explains why they hold the most events and busy ones too. Good quality of people, good venues. The last London party I went to was absolutely packed - hunderds of people. Definitely not a scam, definitely give them a go.
keithw264
May 3rd, 2019
I paid for speedating in liverpool in april it got moved to july??
Then i get subscription of 24.99 do i have basically paid 50 pounds and not even been to one event, total rip off, now i have hassle to unsubscribe, but i lost 50 pounds.
So if they doing this to everyone they making lots money for doing nothing.
graisonh
August 29th, 2019
You sign up for one event and then you automatically become a member. This means in one month you are charged £25. So one speed dating event cost me £45 !
peymana2
April 11th, 2017
I signed up and thankfully didn't pay a penny. Immediately I started receiving messages about gorgeous women who had "winked" at me. Oddly enough they were all from the same town: Gosport. Now, either the ration of females to males in Gosport is so uneven or this is a scam. Having read some reviews about Speeddater, it all made sense. I am staying well away.
michaelf157
May 26th, 2016
I went to a speed dating event recently in central London and left after an hour. Really disappointed with it. Half the women didn't even live in London (one was actually on holiday from America), most were overweight, and very few were professionals (one woman talked non stop about nandos). The rounds to chat to people are only 3 minutes which is far too short.

The bar itself is dire (its changed its name to Forge but used to be Apt). It was an utter waste of time.
miket549
August 28th, 2019
Went to an event that i paid £9 for. Lovely attendees but host was awful. I never liked anybody there enough to "tick" so that meant i got a free follow on event. The follow on event wasn't listed on their website yet so i had to wait until it was listed as when closing account, got message to say wont be able to use the credit.

Then a month later i get bank notification to say £25 taken from my account for a subscription to their awful dating site fo a month. Now the membership on their site had around 40 people on it. I wouldn't even call it a dating site! Contacted customer service who basically laughed in my face and emaile dme screen shots of where i had agreed to their T&Cs (which in small print say i also agree to subscribe to their rip-off dating site! On auto-renew!)

Dishonest firm - and like others have said, they don't have a conscience!

If you go to a single event, they will actually sign you up for a recurring monthly bill of £24.99. They are a disgustingly sneaky in this and you probably wont get your money back, but definitely drop them immediately.

Tip for consumers: Tip for consumers: Log in to your account and make sure you are not signed up for a recurring membership charge. It is NOT explicit... If you have a 'platinum' membership, then you WILL be charged after the 'free' trail month.

sharonl262
November 22nd, 2018
where is my refund I was told I would get back from the host as the event I attended did not have enough people turn up to make up equal numbers, every time I try ringing the number in Edinburgh no one answers, If I do not get my refund I will so shame SpeedDater.co.uk on every media website there is
ianj29
March 18th, 2018
The speed dating events themselves are fine but the website is designed purely to con you. It automatically enrolls you to the website at £25 per month. To stop subscribing you have to go through several layers on the site to find the button which then sends you a code. Previously this worked fine but recently that code then cant be input anywhere so the only options are to delete your account or phone them.

If you are not signed up to the website you get constant messages, pokes, winks etc from people wanting to talk etc from fake profiles. As soon as you are signed up you do not receive a single one.

Each time you go to a speed dating event it resigns you up for the website even if you unsubscribed previously. I had a long argument with the staff about this and thankfully did get a refund but I would not recommend this site to anyone. Sure go speed dating but never accept the "free" month.
davids1893
October 30th, 2018
My event was in Manchester and it was overall a pretty poor event. For £20 I expect tables that don't wobble and chairs that are of a similar height! It was just so shoddily put together. The host herself was fine but she could have at least made the room comfortable. Some people were cramped in a corner and some were sat on the edge of a small wall table.

The website is horrible. They make it so hard to cancel your membership to their terrible dating service:

You need to go to the bottom of your account page, click on a small, hard to read bit of text, then click cancel membership, then you receive an email code that 'you need to enter next time you log into the site'! well I couldn't find anywhere to put this cancellation code! And I wasn't asked for it.

Eventually I just had to delete my account.

Besides all this the people participating in the event, both men and women, were very friendly, but I don't need to pay £20 to meet friendly people in a clumsy, cramped, uncomfortable environment.

Questions? Get answers from the SpeedDater staff and other customers.

No 1 UK dating site for the best speed dating & singles parties. Success guaranteed or next event is FREE! Busiest events, most eligible singles, free online dating trial.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SpeedDater?

Have a question about SpeedDater?