Material World

Material World has a consumer rating of 4.53 stars from 839 reviews indicating that most consumers are generally satisfied with their purchases. Material World also ranks 2nd among Used Clothing sites.

This company responds to reviews on average within 2 days

Positive reviews (last 12 months): 91.6%

• Thankfully your wonderful customer service worked with my schedule to give me extra time.
  • I have been subscribing to Material Box for the past year or so and have really enjoyed my experience so far.

• I thought this would be an easy alternative to selling a bunch of individual items on Poshmark.
  • Of course there is no phone number on their website...
How would you rate Material World?

“Love my Material Boxes!”

Dora S.
4/24/19

I have been subscribing to Material Box for the past year or so and have really enjoyed my experience so far. I have rejected a few items for fit or style, my stylist always takes my feedback into account for my next box. I have been able to get several NWT or like new dresses from Reformation, A. L. C., and Parker in the $70 - $110 range. I recently splurged and got an amazing suede Burberry Brit moto jacket for $320. The original value would have been well over $1000, so $320 was actually a steal. I have also been trying to send in a few items to trade in every time I receive a box. The payout hasn't been that high for clothing, but it's convenient. I have also been using my trade-in credit towards my box purchases whenever possible. I get additional credit for shopping with my trade-in credit so all-in-all it's very convenient and a smart way to shop for designer pieces. A fun way to continually refresh my closet!

“A MASSIVE waste of time”

Jessica A.
1/3/19

I thought this would be an easy alternative to selling a bunch of individual items on Poshmark. I was so wrong. It took months to get my offer after sending in my clothes, the offers were ridiculously low ($23 for a pristine Valentino dress? $9 for a nearly-new, once-worn Ted Baker skirt?), and worst of all, they charge a $2 return fee to ship things back that you don't want to donate or for them to buy. Unfortunately I sent them a ton of stuff in my first shipment so it would have actually cost me $36 to have it all shipped back. I ended up just cashing out the very little they offered me and decided to spend the time writing reviews on as many websites as possible. Seriously, don't even waste your time.

customer service (19) material box (11) items (62) style quiz (7) phone number (5) promo code (6) styling fee (5) better business bureau (6) 2 months (4) 4 days (4) style profile (5) 3 items (3)
carolinel124
March 26th, 2020
I sent in a trade-in and over the course of 2 weeks, I emailed the company multiple times about my offer not being ready yet and the automated emails kept coming back to me saying "your offer will be ready in 3-5 days". I have not heard anything from the office yet nor have I received my package back. I am outraged by their horrible level of customer service.
carlag118
June 19th, 2020
I sent my trade 4 weeks ago and I keep emailing and calling a number I found online, the receptionist says that all she can do is relay the message to costumer service team and they don't do nothing, this company is very unprofessional and this is basically stealing. I file a formal complaint to the Better Business Bureau I hope I get my money or my bag back to me, don't make business with them.
They will rip you off.
I just wanted to update my review and the message they sent me, this people has no shame. Unbelievable!
katem519
February 1st, 2020
I asked for not boring office attire and specified in my disliked only two things: flower prints and ruffles. One week! Later I received suggestion of brands that I never wear, flower prints dresses and ruffle blouses ;) I pinged my stylist and asked for new box, but she just shipped all the clothes that I DON'T WANT! Now I have to waste my time on return...

Material World attempted to help this customer through the Sitejabber Resolution Center, but the customer did not respond

samw314
February 6th, 2020
Horrible experience, the box included items such as jeans that I specifically told the stylist that I did not wear - they should not bother to ask for preferences if they ignore them completely. I've tried to cancel my subscription 3 times and no one has responded to my emails from the company - my card continues to be charged

lises4
February 7th, 2020
I sent them a bunch of clothes for trade in. They offered me $19 for a Trina Turk dress with a $350 price tag still attached and almost nothing for a Theory silk blouse in perfect condition. As per their policy, I refused to offers and paid to have those items returned to me. The box took weeks to come. Inside, there was a label listing both items. The problem? No Theory blouse! I have contacted them multiple times and they ignore me. There is no phone # to call. I will never do business with this company again and have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.
evak66
June 12th, 2020
After receiving my first box and hated it I cancelled my subscription but they still have been charging me for boxes. I got a email confirming the account was not going to be charged anymore but after checking my credit card bill it turns out they were still changing me but not sending emails or notifying me so I had no idea. Since my account was cancelled there is no way to unsubscribe so they stop charging me, I emailed them several times but they still have not replied. I am very disappointed and do not recommend them. Please save yourself and do not purchase a style box from material world.

jessicam1430
June 12th, 2020
I received my first box and kept ONE item. They charged me over $350 for the FULL box saying I mailed it back late... Knowing the penalty for late returns, I returned the box the next day. THEY STILL CHARGED ME the FULL AMOUNT and refused to give me my money back for Items I do not have! I have disputed it with my bank.

Material Word is a SCAM! Do not sign up for this subscription box!
leas46
March 29th, 2020
I signed up for material world from an add via Facebook that showed many designer items to which you could purchase after receiving the box. I received my box and it was nothing along the lines of the style I was interested in and was no longer interested in receiving boxes. I emailed their email and informed them I would like to close my account so I did not receive any msc. Charges. They responded asking if their lead stylist could take over and i politely declined and stated I would like to close my account and have my billing information removed. They did not listen and then charged my card for $30 and sent me another box! I returned it immedietly and have sent MULTIPLE emails to get absolutely no response. If i could rate this a 0 I would as that is HORRIBLE customer service.

kellig35
December 24th, 2019
Doesn't fit my style, the prices/brands are not what they show in an example box. Ridiculously short time to return your items or you get charged 30%. And didn't realize it was a subscription so got charged again the next month.
geiselleg
January 20th, 2020
All the clothes were so out dated. This was a waste of every resource. Customer service was not helpful at all. I would not recommend this service.
janee150
April 9th, 2020
I wanted to like this company. Received one box, kept one item. So far so good. I then decided to send in for trade consideration 3 HIGH END ITEMS (over $1500 retail value) it has been over a month and they have yet to send me an offer. I requested they RETURN MY ITEMS and they have ignored my emails.
Let's see how this ends up...
Update 4/10/20
After posting my review, my items were returned. Seems a shame that it would take a bad review to get them to do what they should have IN THE FIRST PLACE..
sydneyh45
January 16th, 2020
Don't do it. Dear god dont do it. This company is unreachable (no phone number and hardly responds to emails). They hold you and your credit card hostage. You can not cancel online. You email them ten times to cancel and when they finally respond they tell you that you have cancelled... then continue to send you items and charge you. I have been dealing with this nightmare for months. SHUT THIS BUSINESS DOWN!
corrieb12
April 2nd, 2020
Verified purchase
The site has some technical issues. I was unable to click "yes" for shoes and accessories, otherwise the "next" button would disappear. By the time I figured this out, my promo code expired and I had to pay the ufll $29.
Reason I chose this business: I am still intrigued by the concept and clothing sustainability.

gemmac41
October 31st, 2019
Don't fall for their $1 promo. Worst part of material world was the following month when I got a message saying my next box was ready. I was given NO chance/warning to cancel before they charged again. They also have really bad customer service. They place all burden on us, the customers, to be able to track down one of their difficult-to-reach customer reps to be able to cancel your subscription. The way they function is crooked. DO NOT try material world. They're horrible.
shailaj
July 11th, 2020

charlottet53
January 4th, 2020
Reason I chose this business: I wanted designer items
gesaj
August 1st, 2019
I only ever received two boxes, and both were meh. I don't know if they use some sort of algorithm or random chance or what, but I don't think they actually read my requests and/or feedback.
I also got charged for unwanted items of my second box which I returned two days before the deadline.
Finally, customer service is slow, unhelpful and unprofessional. Would definitely not recommend.
fumagallia
March 6th, 2019
1. On items worth retail $5,000 or $3,000 on sale or $1,000 pre owned they will offer $200.

2. Takes one month for them to go through your few little items (I sent 7)

3. You have to pay 2$ per item to shoot them back to you.

4. Customer service is unavailable over the phone and takes about 48-72 hours to get a response
gracem182
September 10th, 2019
Paid the styling fee then changed my mind so emailed them within the hour asking to cancel, then they didn't get back for a few days and said it's too late to cancel and I'm getting my box regardless. Box comes in and it's very old clothing that I would never wear so I packed it all back up and took it to USPS. Then got an email a few days later saying I'm being charged for everything since they haven't been notified by FedEx that it's been sent back. So upset that I signed up
rivkaj
February 3rd, 2019
They take forever (literally over 2 months) to "make an offer" and it will be obscenely low, even if you have the most perfect clothes from top brands. The offers were so terrible that I ended up having to pay them just to get my clothes back. Simply awful and deceitful practices. Wish I had seen some of these reviews first! I plan to report them to the better business bureau when I have time. I encourage everyone else to do the same!
jessicar377
February 21st, 2019
I spent a long time filling out my profile on sizing, what I was looking for, etc. and it was ignored. I sent this feedback in the comments and didn't select anything to be shipped. I think I should be able to see a second selection if my information was blatantly ignored -items 4 sizes (!) too big were put in my selection. But now I'm being sent a box which I have no idea what's in it. What a waste of time.
bethanyg27
December 27th, 2019
Verified purchase
The quality of the items sent in the last 3 boxes have not met expectations. Things are stained, have hair on them, and haven't met my style profile. The only reason I am ordering another box is because I have a credit balance to get use.
Reason I chose this business: To use my credit balance

nedyf1
August 2nd, 2019
I can't say enough bad things about this company. I sent 10 items to trade in. All high end designer labels barely worn. They made ridiculously low offers for 2 items and they gave me the choice of donating the other items to charity or paying $2.00 for each item to be returned. This company should be reported to the better business bureau and put out of business. How many bad reviews do they need to receive for this to happen?
They should be ashamed of themselves. Stay away!
xiangyuc
January 11th, 2019
I used it 2 years ago, and it was good, quick turnaround. But this time, after they received my bag in Nov, now 2 months passed, I got nothing. I emailed and checking the status, they replied back and says there's some delay, and the time it takes to offer is about 30 business days. Even with holidays in between, how many business days are there in 2 months? I'm still waiting for my offer, will keep update this.
nataliyaz
March 13th, 2019
The box you will receive is nothing like they advertise. I was expecting to see some designer items - what was the point of this extensive questionaire/ I indicated the items I clerly NEVER wanted to receive - the preview showed at least three items from my "no way" list. I emailed right away asking to stop the shipment and 12 hours later I got a reply 'sorry you did not like your box" with an offer to change the stylist and "pause" for a month and the next email was 'your box is on the way". I am so pissed. It's impossible to cancel!

They accepted brands that no one else accepted. However, they are very slow and unresponsive. Bad customer service.

By Mary K.
See more answers (2)

They received my box end of August. It is now 10/9 and still no offer. Called and they said they are running behind. Wish I never sent anything in.

By Sunny H.
See more answers (2)

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I just did.

By Lise S.

REAL REAL - MUCH BETTER! It's consignment which begins at 50% but increases with price and usage.

By Mary K.

Can’t see your question? Ask to get answers from the Material World staff and other customers.

jonathanl188
Adam G.
COO
Typically responds within 2 days

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Material World?

Have a question about Material World?