Review of Material World

info@materialworld.co

57 reviews with 1 star

gemmac41
10/31/19
Don't fall for their $1 promo. Worst part of material world was the following month when I got a message saying my next box was ready. I was given NO chance/warning to cancel before they charged again. They also have really bad customer service. They place all burden on us, the customers, to be able to track down one of their difficult-to-reach customer reps to be able to cancel your subscription. The way they function is crooked. DO NOT try material world. They're horrible.
gretcheni2
10/19/19
They charged me for a dress I returned. The only way to contact them is via email, of which they do NOT respond!!!

I will be contacting the BBB. Such a shame because it is an excellent idea.
kellys508
9/20/19
I had sold some items to them on consignment and my first set of clothing I felt was fair not the best but fair. I sent in a second amount and it was less than fair but I still took it they were items that I was trying to clear out my inventory. Apparently when I hit that I wanted a credit I assumed it was the credit to my stripe account only to find out later that I had inadvertently pressed a credit for purchases. So I sent a note asking them to reverse it explaining to them the situation and they came back and said no once it was defined as a credit they could not reverse it. I have never heard anything so asinine in my life. I will certainly not send any of my items to them again.
gracem182
9/10/19
Paid the styling fee then changed my mind so emailed them within the hour asking to cancel, then they didn't get back for a few days and said it's too late to cancel and I'm getting my box regardless. Box comes in and it's very old clothing that I would never wear so I packed it all back up and took it to USPS. Then got an email a few days later saying I'm being charged for everything since they haven't been notified by FedEx that it's been sent back. So upset that I signed up
ashleyf140
8/16/19
I have NEVER wrote a review in my life and I feel its absolutely necessary for me to say something about how terrible this company is.

To summarize it for you:
*They don't send you designer clothing
*What they do send you, are clothes that smell, have stains and are very worn in
*They WILL NOT cancel your account and will continue to keep sending you items
*There is NO way to delete your credit card information
*They WILL charge you for items you did NOT keep or want
*Their customer service lies to you and are incompetent

I received one box and I didn't like any of the clothes - they were not cute and smelled/had stains. So, I called and emailed customer service to cancel my account and I returned all the items. Well, they charge me for some and are continuing to send me boxes.

This service isn't worth wasting your time on.
lanar39
8/14/19
I was so excited and regardless of the reviews I wanted to love it. I received my first box and it was okay and then my second box I got one of the same items I returned. Then I tried to cancel my subscription because I was paying for a styling fee that was subpar. Then they said they would send me a waived fee for the box and I said okay I'll give it one more shot and then they canceled my box without notifying me. I had to reach out for it's status and they said they would send me one at a later date but I was moving so it would not work.
therezas
8/13/19
I paid $29 and got absolutely nothing for my money. The clothes that came was not even close to anything in my profile or what I explained to them. I have been writing several emails and they don't even offer the money back or nothing. Such a shame I had so high hopes and totally got scammed.
nedyf1
8/2/19
I can't say enough bad things about this company. I sent 10 items to trade in. All high end designer labels barely worn. They made ridiculously low offers for 2 items and they gave me the choice of donating the other items to charity or paying $2.00 for each item to be returned. This company should be reported to the better business bureau and put out of business. How many bad reviews do they need to receive for this to happen?
They should be ashamed of themselves. Stay away!!
gesaj
8/1/19
I only ever received two boxes, and both were meh. I don't know if they use some sort of algorithm or random chance or what, but I don't think they actually read my requests and/or feedback.
I also got charged for unwanted items of my second box which I returned two days before the deadline.
Finally, customer service is slow, unhelpful and unprofessional. Would definitely not recommend.
katym50
7/31/19
I decided to purchase a membership after being convinced Material World had nice clothing. First of all my stylist "Tammy" finished by box about 30 minutes after I completed my style questionnaire. It was filled with absolutely nothing that I said I was drawn to. I asked for things more trendy and they filled my box with things that I would wear if I worked in finance (very conservative dresses, wrinkly button up shirts, long boring black skirts). I reached out via the live chat requesting to cancel my membership and nobody responded. I sent an email and not a single person has yet to respond. This place is a TOTAL scam. They also won't let you write comments on any of their social media sites (it's quite clear why). If I could give those place a 0 for my review I would. Beware!

Tip for consumers: Make sure you follow the policy exactly or they won’t refund you the money.

aimeew35
7/17/19
I have been trying to cancel my membership for SIX months and keep getting new boxes!!!!!! I respond to every email asking for my feedback telling them to cancel my membership. I email them telling them to cancel my membership!!! No response whatsoever. I just received another email that my new box was on it's way! Of course there is no phone number on their website...UGH
hannahb197
7/14/19
Trade in my Self Portrait dress that had only worn once and they did not accept it because they said there were stains on which there isn't. Also, their box is horrible. The stylist clearly had bad taste and the price is too expensive for preowned. Don't waste your money.
lear30
7/9/19
Cancelled it and they refused to refund the "styling fee" which consisted of what looked like randomly selecting things that aren't selling from their ebay shop.

Issued a chargeback with Chase and took care of it.

Use trunk club or stitch fix instead - this company is horribly run
celc2
7/5/19
They keep sending you packages without any consent. The survey is so ridiculous, they send you the clothing you do not want or would wear. They would charge your card if you did not return the items in 4 days. The package needs to be returned in UPS. They simply want your MONEY. Be careful, not to fall this trap. Never sign up for this website.
By the way, you received your package on Friday. You easily forget to return the package in 4 days!
ontayaw
6/20/19
WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH! They keep charging my card, I canceled multiple times and they keep charging me. LOST MY silk Vince skirt, never paid me. I have reached out multiple times with no response. I have to report them to my bank to stop their payment.
DO NOT EVERY SIGN UP WITH THEM!
hannahc104
6/17/19
I have reached out twice with no response. I notified them that I have not received my box when I got a notification that it had been delivered. Still, I am getting emails that I will be charged for all items if I don't make my selection in the next "11 hours" and then make a return. It's one thing to have a product that is mediocre, but if your customer service is bad (or nonexistent like this one appears to be) that is just unacceptable. I have even tried to DM them on Instagram at this point because I just can't get a hold of them. DO NOT DO IT.
marissab18
6/17/19
-5 star if i could -- i just dont get it, does anyone read my style profile? I had heard bad reviews about this before but i decided to try it because i did not have the time to go shopping but definitely do not recommend. I was sent a preview of items and was so eager to see but sadly they were all for the winter when I live in Texas and its over 100 degrees, no thanks!! I understand its all preowned items but maybe they should make it a priority to have relative items available for the stylists to use. I even contacted the CEO, her email is accessible via linkedin, expressing how unhappy I was but never heard back from her. This company is a fraud. do not use.
wendyb309
6/12/19
I sent in 14 item, two months had pasted and I had yet to receive and offer. So after many run around a and me offering to pay to get my items shipped back to me, they tell me they had sent my items through the mail and gave me a tracking number. When my package returned I see that it had been opened and tapped back up but I was missing three items. They took my Prada saffiano Lux bag, and two other item that where brand new. When I contact them and show the my item list. The customer service representative told me he would investigate and it's been more than a month and I have gotten no offer for these items and I have yet to get a reply after multiple emails they have not replied ever since!! Terrible terrible terrible. I cannot believe this happened ! Do not trust this company for nothing!
danac149
6/7/19
Simply not worth the rates asking for. Styling services seem lax and much prefer thredup, therealreal and poshmark.
rebeccat150
5/30/19
Hi it's my opinion that this company operates as a scam. At least this is what it feels like to me. Do NOT use them. They have charged me for a box that never arrived, in which they are documented saying that I wouldn't be. I was charged for all of the items in full, today. Literally the subject header of my last email with them was, "you will not be charged". This is the second time they have charged me for things that are not in my possession. The first time, they almost didn't refund me until I threatened to report them! I have reported them to my bank as fraud as well as to the Better Business Bureau. Do NOT use them!! After looking at Sitejabber, comments on here and on the BBB site, it looks like my opinions are not unfounded, and I'm not alone.
graceanneh
5/29/19
Didn't like many of the pieces picked- recently got a lot of jackets/winter clothing and I live in Texas and it's summer! Also have tried 3 times to cancel and still haven't heard back from their customer service to confirm.
cf117
5/24/19
Literally the worst of the subscription boxes. I've tried numerous services and have always been satisfied with the clothing. Material World is quite the opposite. I received clothes that was completely the wrong size (I went back and verified that I had entered the correct information on my profile, I had. The stylist just put clothes that were the wrong size in the box.) and that were completely out of season. I reached out for support several times before I actually heard anything back from them. Overall, this was an incredibly disappointing experience - from the clothes to the customer service, overall it's just bad.
mandyg37
5/8/19
I really wanted to like this company. I gave it two boxes before giving up. The first box was filled with items that were BLATANTLY NOT in line with what I told them my style was: statement pieces, bright colors, no sleeveless items. I received drab neutral basics, tanks, and dresses my grandma would wear.
For the second box, I spoke with my "stylist" and made my wants clear. The pieces initially picked for me ALSO DID NOT align with any of my requests: more tanks, strappy dresses, etc. Being horribly disappointed, I selected 5 mystery items per the recommendation from their online support team. What I received was AGAIN drab basics, more t-shirts, and sunglasses that looked horrible with my face type. Needless to say I canceled my subscription after opening the second box.
iveliessem
5/7/19
Please do not engage in this service. They charged my credit card two charges that I did not authorized. In addition, I sent two pieces of clothing which I never received any payment for. It's a scam.
kimv125
4/27/19
I signed up for the first box just to try it out and got a box of stuffs that weren't my style and extremely bad conditions (old/worn out stuffs). But hey, whatever, at least I tried. Returned the box and decided to cancel the account. I put the account on hold for two months before the next payment was supposed to come out while I tried emailing them to cancel the subscription. Well, almost 10 days later, and NO RESPONSE! And guess what, they took my account off the hold and charged me for the next box!!! Must've seen that email so decided to try to scam whatever charges they can put through to see if they would be able to get away with it. Emailed them twice again and have yet to hear from them so now I have to dispute it with my bank. DON'T BOTHER TO EVEN SIGN UP OR YOU'LL GET SCREWED!!

I liked that it was designer clothing. I had read a good review in a fashion magazine of good repute.

By Gretchen I.

I've been waiting since October 18 for an offer. Two months, minimum.

By Mary K.

REAL REAL - MUCH BETTER!! It's consignment which begins at 50% but increases with price and usage.

By Mary K.

Questions? Get answers from the Material World staff and other customers.

9 Photos for Material World