Review of Camp America

Tel: 0845 606 1234
enquiries@campamerica.co.uk

joellenv
5/9/16
I'd avoid Arbutus Hayowentha if I were you. One of my friends had a minor problem with drinking at a campfire, WHILE ON HER TIME OFF She was legal to drink in her home country and didn't expect any problems in the US. She got a ticket for underage drinking in US. No big deal, but the camp director fired her immediately, despite the fact that she wasn't on camp time!!! No help was offered, she was basically just dismissed in a rural area in northern michigan.

By the way, others at the same campfire did not get dismissed. There are clearly favorites from the camp director, and if you end up on her bad side, good luck to you.
sarap38
11/25/15
Earlier this year I spent the best 3 months of my life at Camp Louemma in New Jersey through the Camp America Program. I was incredibly nervous at first and wasn't entirely sure that summer camp was for me, but the Camp America staff were constantly on hand to help giving you great advice and tips on how to sell yourself and achieve a great placement for the summer!
I am now half way through my application to spend a second summer in the USA - and I can't thank Camp America enough for the opportunity.
katiew31
11/25/15
I spent summer 2015 working at a Girl Scout camp in Upstate new York. I did this through Camp America who supported me the whole time. I found that if I have any questions, no matter how silly or small, they would always be there to help and always provided lots of support while completing my application and the whole time I was in the USA. Camp America are the only organisation who sponsor the J1 visa and I found this really process really easy and camp America made everything so simple and uncomplicated. This organisation allowed me to go and experience working on a summer camp and then I got the opportunity to travel after. Camp allowed me to gain confidence, independence and learn who I am and I cannot thank camp america enough for allowing me to have the best summer ever and I can't wait to go back for Summer 2016!!
charlotteg12
11/24/15
I did Camp America in summer 2015 working at a camp for disadvantaged children. The staff at the Camp America were extremely helpful along the whole application process and whilst I was out in America. It was the best summer of my life, I made so many great friends and it's something I'll never forget!
megans36
11/24/15
I had an amazing summer and it's all thanks to Camp America!
stephr7
11/24/15
I spent the summer of 2013 in Pennsylvania teaching children how to horse ride and I can genuinely say I had the summer of a lifetime. It's a great insight into the travelling world and looks great on my CV, I couldn't recommend it more.
nateg3
11/24/15
I've had a fantastic time going to summer camp in America through Camp America. They've made the whole process really easy with fantastic support, help and guidance. I would definitely recommend anybody out there to go with Camp America, you won't regret it!
ciaram6
11/24/15
Camp America has given me an amazing opportunity to see so many wonderful things and participate in so many different opportunities I never thought I would be able to do. It will never forgot everything I have been able to do through camp America.
ariannaw2
11/24/15
I always wanted to do camp America and was forever counting down the days until I was 18 so I could apply. Applications opened for summer 2015 and I started straight away; I wouldn't even look back now. It was definitely the best decision I ever made and I can't thank the Camp America team enough. Yes, there's going over the US and having a blast for 9 weeks, but I couldn't have done it if it wasn't for the consistent support of the CA team in London; they work their butts off to find you that placement of a lifetime.
Summer 2015 was a summer of lifelong memories and friendships and I can't wait to do it all again for summer 2016! YAY CAMP!
emmac60
11/24/15
Love working with children, have a passion for a skill and the love and ambition to travel. Camp America has given me all those things! I have been a life guard for the past 3 summers in the USA! The friends you meet, the children you teach and the environment you live in are a mixture of wonderful things during your time as a camp counsellor! Now on my 3rd year as a Brand Manager and 2nd year as a interviewer. Camp America has changed my life! 5* :D
huww
11/24/15
After 3 years working at Camp Hayowentha, Camp America have been great! I was placed at the London recruitment fair in 2013, I didn't have many skills, but past child care experience and a persistent attitude got me placed. Visas, flights and insurance was all made easy thanks to the CA staff. Not only was their support team great in the UK, but in America too. In three years, I have had friends who have had family emergencies, needed to move to another camp or just needed help and advice, Camp America has always delivered. If you want the best chance at getting hired and have the security in knowing you're not alone, choose Camp America.
jessicas119
11/24/15
Camp America has changed my life, I have spent 3 summers working on a summer camp in Massachusetts and I'm heading out for my 4th summer in May. It has given me so much more confidence in my own skills and abilities. I've made the most amazing friends and memories, nothing will ever come close to the experience I've had, I am so thankful to be given this opportunity.
chanellec2
11/24/15
After being unsuccessful at 2 recruitment fairs at the start of 2015, I was feeling extremely disheartened and really did not think that I would be placed! I waited and waited then received the ready steady go offer so I was able to get my visa sorted (which is one of the reasons that Camp America are a great company)! I ended up being placed at the end of April! I would definitely say that even if you are unsuccessful at the recruitment fairs, never give up hope because camp has changed my life! I had the best summer, met so many amazing people are changed the lives of so many children. Camp America are great because they offer you so much support in getting you placed and getting you to camp! I would definitely recommend them as an organisation!
rachela27
11/23/15
Could not fault the office or the service in any way, the guys and girls in the office do so so much for each applicant and have always helped me out. They care and want you to have an awesome summer! After being hired at one of their super recruitment fairs and becoming a two time returner I absolutely love CA and cannot thank and praise them enough. If you want to go to camp for summer you shouldn't be using any other organisation, the original and the best. CA!
lauras124
11/23/15
I remember when I was considering applying to Camp America, I was reading reviews like this one you are reading now. I was really just looking for somebody to shout out at me 'stop being a chicken, go on and do it!'' So I am going to do the same for you, whoever is reading this, this is my experience of Camp America. The things going through your head are probably 'ooh it's so scary flying off somewhere alone''. So my first answer to you is - you will have a harder job trying to avoid people wearing the same T-shirt as you in the airport. It's also highly likely that you will meet people from your camp in the airport on the same flight, as I did.
Secondly, you are probably looking for somebody to tell you exactly what you will be doing with yourself for nine weeks on a camp, full of kids! Like the anxious person I am, I tried to build up an exact image in my mind of what my camp will be like and what type of campers I want and what state I want to go to You get my point. Be open minded, my actual camp experience could not be further from my expectations.. it was way better!
So I was a General Counsellor on an underprivileged camp in Upstate New York. Most of my kids came from the homeless shelter system in New York City and until coming to camp had never left the city. I remember being told during orientation that a shocking thirteen thousand people sleep rough in New York City every night and eighty per cent of these guys such as my campers, have witnessed at least one violent event by age twelve. Both my coworkers and the children I worked with on this camp were truly inspiring, and it made my Camp America experience all the more special and unique! I would urge anybody applying to take that chance, be open minded and say yes to underprivileged camps, I wouldn't have had it any other way looking back now.
I decided to do Camp America because I was desperate to travel somewhere. Having explored a few other options Camp America seemed the perfect opportunity for a newbie to travelling. It offers you the freedom of travel with the security of Camp America supporting you all the way; and at the same time you're earning money, fully immersing into a culture and making life long friends who you will go off and find your travelling feet with after camp!
My ten weeks were filled by three action packed two-week sessions of camp. During this time I had taken care of fourteen girls in our little rustic cabin. Typical activities included swimming in the lake, most of our kids learnt to swim with us over the summer which was such a special moment in their lives to be a part of! Other activities included wild camp outs, campfires, hikes, sports, and I led a photography class with some campers which was so much fun! Although, I did have to apply a no taking mug shots of your counsellor' rule.. What I love about these kids is that despite their circumstances, like any other children they just enjoy the simplicities of running around and letting loose and having some fun with their friends. And knowing how much they appreciated their two weeks with you made you want to go out of your way and make it all the more special for them! One of my favourite days was our 'Christmas in July'' day. It was a bizarre experience hanging Christmas decorations in the woods at the height of summer but the kids got so excited, it just made you excited and there was such an amazing atmosphere on camp!
Between each session we had a weekend break and I would say the first break was the best! Traditionally on our camp we have a staff trip for the first weekend break, and so we organized a party bus to take all of us three hours down to Atlantic City in New Jersey for some Sun, Sea, and all the junk food we could eat! The best thing in America is that hotel rooms are booked by the number of beds not by the number of people, so we crammed the entire staff into three hotel rooms, which wasn't so nice when all the Brits got struck by severe sunburn (myself included), and sleeping in those beds that night was like trying to avoid the metal edges in a game of Operation'.
For my second weekend break, myself and some friends stayed on camp to save money and took a day trip to New York City where we successfully hit every tourist spot on Manhattan in a day! After camp, I became very good friends with a girl from New Hampshire, who kindly put me and another friend up for a few days. It was a beautiful place! I truly think NH is a state that belongs in the south, it's what I consider some 'proper America''. With only a week of travelling time before heading back to start University, my friend and I headed back to New York for our remaining few days. We met up with some local staff from camp who showed us off the beaten track. We went to Chinatown, walked the Brooklyn Bridge, went shopping and even met another friend who lived on Long Island. Unfortunately, (or, just to make sure I lived up to the tanning expectations of somebody who has spent two months in the States), I got full body sunburn for the second time the day before we flew home.. not recommended!
So here it is, STOP BEING A CHICKEN, GO AND DO IT!! Camp America gave me so much, and I have never looked back! I wouldn't be a second year Brand Manager if I really didn't believe in this amazing experience, and all you will get from it! Get out there and go and have the summer of your life!
gabriellak
11/23/15
Amazing support from beginning until the end! Lots of help available during the application and placement stages. Always quick replies and easy to contact when I had queries. Great to see the office staff when they visited camp too! Looking forward to next summer already :)
benjaminb44
11/23/15
The Camp America program is absolutely extraordinary. In one summer spent on an American Summer Camp, I made lifelong friends, I grew exponentially as a person, and I had the best time of my life. Camp America made the entire process exceptionally easy. Their customer service is unparalleled, their support from before application to arrival back in the UK is excellent. This is by far the best agency, and the only one I would ever use!

Tip for consumers: Add a video to your application!

harryk32
11/23/15
Camp America was such abs amazing summer. It's now almost December and I didn't expect to still be singing camp songs and messaging friends I made over the summer. Why would you not want to spend all day in the sun in America? I also went travelling after to New York and California which was amazing as I went with the friends I made from camp
frans40
11/23/15
I have been going to camp for 3 summers now and it was the best decision of my life, I have met the most amazing people and had incredible experiences. Camp America are a great organisation for securing placements for applicants and are always at the end of the phone or quickly responding to emails for support on anything from visas to interviews.
hannahs39
11/23/15
Camp America - 2 words that will change your life. Doing Camp America was honestly the best thing I could've done. Waiting anxiously at Heathrow airport, I began to question why I was doing this. But it was honestly so worth it. From day 1 of the application process, Camp America were extremely helpful and made the process so simple. This feeling of reassurance continued throughout the application process and even whilst being in America. The summer will be amazing, and camp will make you a more independent person. Trust me when I say you'll be talking about camp for months afterwards. If you're thinking about doing Camp America, do it. It will be the best decision you ever make.
sophiec14
11/23/15
Thanks to Camp America I had the most stress free and secure experience before I even travelled across the pond! I had the best summer ever working as a lifeguard in New Jersey, then travelling to the West coast with other CA staff. Even while I was out in America the 24/7 support that CA provided was brilliant, we even had a member of the CA staff come visit us on camp! BEST SUMMER EVER!
jenniferm154
11/23/15
This summer was the best one I have ever had, and I know when I return next summer it will be even better. What people don't realise is how much of an impact your time at camp will have on you and your life. Camp doesn't just go away come September, it is always there in your head and everyday you will hear yourself saying, 'I remember....' or 'This summer was so great because....' Camp is a place to learn new skills, have fun and be yourself, and because of this you will make the best friends you could ever imaging. These friendships have been built on a strong foundation of camp and will grow and last forever. These are the people you will speak to every day and cherish the memories. Camp is a place to laugh, grow and make a difference, why wouldn't you want to do that? Is it even really a question?
hamishl
11/23/15
Camp America's website is very easy to navigate and use, for first timers as well as returners. The payment system is very clear and it is easy to track your progress. They are quick at responding to emails and are very helpful.
suneelm
11/23/15
I worked at a Private camp for girls in Vermont (Fairlee) and was a chef or 'kitchen assistant' at Aloha Hive, The Aloha Foundation.. Was majorly out my comfort zone and wanted to go home as soon as I saw the camp and got there but I actually had one of the best times of my life... Great organisation, has 6 camps in it and the 3 main camps would meet up for socials, American colleagues and public were friendly, learned how to deal with different characters and whole experience was a massive challenge for me. Went travelling after for 3 days with a friend from the US who was my neighbour in our halls flat at Uni - went to Boston and NYC... Awesome end to a once in a lifetime opportunity. Of course there are going to be good and bad things from experiences, you appreciate the good things more after bad things and bad people and whole thing builds you more as a person. There were mostly great people though :) Recommend it once but wouldn't do it again, I'm a family person and got things to do, but great opportunity to have and pretty much the only time in my life I could do it :)
abbieb2
11/23/15
I can honestly say getting involved with camp America has been my best decision to date. 2 years ago I never thought by signing up I would get to experience the opportunities of a life time. Summer 2015 saw me return to Arbutus Hayo-went-ha in Michigan, a place that is as full of love as it is full of pine trees. It's there at camp where I can be my best self surrounded by people from all types of backgrounds working together to create the best summer for kids. I've canoe, biked, hiked and am nowhere near done with my time there. If I can sum up 'The camp america experience' in one sentence it would be, it lead me to find my people. I wholeheartedly recommend camp America to anyone and everyone, no actually, maybe not anyone and everyone. I recommend camp America to anyone who feels they have that much more to give, to anyone who is seeking new heights, to anyone who is optimistic, hardworking and wants to have fun! I've never been rewarded more than when kids are collected by their parents who wholeheartedly thank you for having an impact of their kid. If that sounds like something you want to do this summer then camp America is for you! If you can't tell I think the camp America experience is pretty special!

Questions? Get answers from the Camp America staff and other customers.

15 Photos for Camp America