This is an update to my experience with Shedix, the makers of Site Search Pro:
I was contacted on March 13, 2012 by Melissa Perrys who is part of a new team that is now running the company that makes Site Search Pro. She expressed genuine regret that I had had such a poor experience with her company's product and that her team was willing to do whatever it took to make things right concerning this matter.
Considering the number of months that had elapsed since my experience with Site Search Pro she could have easily chalked my experience up as an unfortunate incident and not contacted me at all. Instead, she did the right thing by following up with me to see if there was something she could do.
In the end her company did make things right with me and as a result I am persuaded that the new Shedix team is indeed committed to making every customer happy. Besides, what other software company would go to this much trouble to turn a bad customer experience around -- even for a small company like mine? Not many, that's for sure.
I can now confidently say that Site Search Pro deserves to be on anyone's "short list" of document search engines to test drive considering the much improved customer support from the new Shedix team.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I was looking for a document search engine that I could integrate into a client's website. After careful consideration (well, not careful enough as it turned out) I spent almost $150 for "Site Search Pro Gold".
Had LOTS of problems getting the software properly configured, but kept getting fatal errors when attempting to index the documents on the site. There's no phone number for Support; only email. I received a reply in a day or so asking for details of my project including the exact error messages. I replied with exactly the information requested, but never heard back from the Support person.
I sent another email explaining the same problem and got the exactly same reply email -- almost as if it were a boiler plate email. I sent the details about my problem again, but never received another reply or resolution to my problem.
Turns out, the company is based in the Ukraine. I'm a reasonably smart guy when handing over my hard earned money to a company that I've never done business with and should have seen some of the subtle red flags (no phone, website not updated since 2010, home base in Ukraine). Anyway, lesson learned, but these freakin' thieves stole my $150. May they suffer from the worst kind of bad karma!
Stay far away from this company!!