Margo B.

Contributor Level

Total Points

1 Review by Margo


Every day and week I receive e-mail after email stating they are in a blood shortage and need blood and to please come donate. I feel obligated to donate and have never had a problem donating blood in the past. In fact I have given plasma for many many years.
My last 2 experiences donating blood were horrific. The staff was very young and NOT trained professionally to deal with the public day after day. They were not prepared with enough supplies so they had to use a blood pressure cuff to tourniquet my arm. There was no tape to anchor my needle in my arm so it ended up falling out. My phlebotomist was nowhere in site at this time because he and 6 others were observing a 1st time donor that was crying and freaking out. When I finally got his attention (after a couple minutes) he hollered for someone to go and grab some gauze. He brought only had a couple of 2x2 gauze pads and told him they were all out and this was all that was left. The blood was all over the chair, my arm and my shirt and pants. He took the needle out and gave me a band-aid to put on hole. All he could keep saying is how they were out everything today. He gave me a paper telling me if I had any problems with my arm or if I couldn't get the blood out of my clothes I could call the phone number on the paper and they would help me. He assured me that they would still be able to use my blood for testing purposes but was considered "contaminated" and couldn't be used on people since the needle partially came out. I was so frustrated because I have O- blood and anyone can receive my blood. The next incident I came in for an appointment at 7pm. I arrived at 7:04pm. I arrived late because I also had a patient that left my office later than expected. When I arrived I had the rapid pass pulled up and ready for them to scan They told me I could not donate because the system shuts down at 7:05pm. It was 7:04pm. I only know because I was looking at my phone. If they had the computers up and running still they could have seen me but they were already shut down and closed. They were very rude and told me that it wasn't there problem the system shuts down at 7:05pm and they could not see me. I quickly looked up to see 4 other people still hooked up and getting their blood drawn. The impression I got was they were done with the day. I will NOT be back. I'm SUPER FRUSTRATED with how this was all handled. Young kids with no experience and no leadership/PR skills. If this is where the American Red Cross is headed I am super disappointed and will not be back to donate.


Margo hasn’t received any votes.

Margo hasn’t received any thanks yous.

Margo doesn’t have any fans yet.

Margo isn’t following anybody yet.


Similar Reviewers on Sitejabber


I've been I've been American Red Cross donor for 20 years my name is Tom Haber I live in Smyrna...


I'm not sure I would ever donate blood to ARC again. I had a 3:30 Appointment at the following...