Mercari is a decent app, I had it since the beta stage (which, by the way, was a complete disaster) I think there is a lot they need to fix but for a fairly new app it's so-so for selling.
Just a few things you should know about selling on this app:
1. Keep reposting. There is no way to update your items to bring it back to the top of the list for more buyer potential. If you don't keep reposting, and your item is never purchased within about the first week, it will end up sitting there until the dawn of time.
2. I wish you good luck selling contemporary brands. I've never had much luck selling clothes on Mercari unless it's brands everyone knows (Victoria's Secret, Adidas, etc.) leave the rest for Poshmark.
3. They only take 10% commission! Yay! Priority mail labels are very expensive for some reason. It's $8 for 3 lbs compared to Posh's $6.49 for 5 lbs, not sure why they ever increased the postage as it was once $6 with no issues.
Now for buying on the app:
1. Please stop rating your buyer if you want a return! There is no way for you to get one after rating (which completes the order) Contact Mercari instead!
2. Check the last time the seller you're interested in buying from has posted a new listing. If it's been a couple months, message them first asking if it's still available before buying it. This is because Mercari has an insanely long refund processing time. (and while you're at it, please don't message me asking if it's still available when I posted it yesterday!)
3. If it's listed under "Good" condition, it could have a flaw. It has always bugged me they never made a between for "Like New" and "Good" (maybe something that's been used but has no flaws (Great?)) Read the description.
4. STOP RATING SELLERS "GOOD" WITHOUT A REASON! And contact the seller before you do! We strive for good feedback, and it's very haphazard to get a "good" rating before contacting the seller. Rate 5 stars if you love your order!
Don't get me wrong, I've had a lot of sales gone through swiftly with this app, no customer service issues, but it's not the greatest for selling. It still has countless bugs and overpriced items, but I still believe with enough customer feedback it has potential to be better. Transferring your money to the bank takes a few days but they're getting better at this (used to be over a week sometimes...)