What I like about instagram:
- Good photo editing tools
- Large user database, with lots of interesting accounts with great photography across different genres
What I don't like about instagram:
- Your photos are often stolen by other accounts who repost it on their page.
- Glitchy app. Sometimes, functions just disappear or malfunction, especially with new updates, or you switch to another phone.
- Very inconvenient to use. You are only allowed to use it on your mobile phone. If you use any other device like your laptop or iPad to log in, the system will think you are using a third party app and flag it up as suspicious activity. My account of 4 years was disabled because I was using my laptop on top of my mobile phone.
- Instagram uses a poorly programmed bot to recognise suspicious activity and no human verifies such activity with actual logs before deciding you are guilty and disabling your account
- Instagram keeps changing its rules on what is permitted (e.g. How many likes you can give in one day or how many people you can unfollow in one hour), does not tell you what these rules are or how they have changed, and then punishes you for breaking them. It's just like spending time with a pyscho who keeps getting angry with you for doing something wrong, because he keeps changing his definition of what is unacceptable without telling you.
- Instagram does not issue actual warnings that you are doing something wrong. It just keeps prompting you to verify your identity by keying in a verification code sent to your mobile phone or email account. You are just supposed to "know* that you have done something wrong when this happens, that this verification code exercise is a warning, and what it is you are doing wrong so you can stop doing it. It's like spending time with a child who starts acting passive aggressive without admitting he is upset or telling you what it is you have done, and then flying into a rage and punishing you without any warning. It is simply impossible for Instagram to act like an adult and issue a real warning, tell you what you shouldn't be doing, and give you a few chances before disabling your account.
- Instagram disables your account for no good reason. My account was disabled for breaching Instagram's Terms & Conditions, because I was using more than one device (mobile phone and laptop) to log in. But it is never stated in its Terms & Conditions that I cannot use any device other than my mobile phone.
- Non existent customer support. If a function in your account malfunctions, or if your account was wrongly disabled, there is no person to email or talk to. You send a form and then you never hear back. Sometimes, the malfunction disappears after a few weeks. But many times, you do not. People who submit appeal forms on being wronly disabled do not hear back for months, even years. Instagram does not give a **** about customer satisfaction, and it is hell bent on driving its users away, even those who support it with advertising dollars
- The advertising sucks in reaching out to your target market. I selected a few countries that I wanted my ad to reach. But the analytics indicated that most of the people who saw my ad was from one country. Instagram has an arbitary way of deciding who your target market is, regardless of what you want
To summarize, I really wasting 4 years of my life building up an account on Instagram, including paying for advertisements here. It was like being in an abusive relationship with a crazy person who keeps malfunctioning, changing his mind on what is acceptable, acting passive aggressive non-stop, and caring nothing about your (advertising) needs. It is only happy to take your money, provide zero customer service, and then dump you by deleting your account.
My advice is - stay far far away before you get sucked in.