I finally got to talk to my mother yesterday after 1 try. I upped the rating to a 3 star for now. We'll see.
“Grand Oaks Nursing Facility - Baldwin, Michigan”
• Previous review
Complaint filed online to ratings and BBB? + Sitejabber.
This is basically what I've found happens with my mother in the home from my experience with Grand Oaks Nursing Home in Baldwin, Mi. Over the past year.
1. I have to re-call them 2-3 times just to talk to my mom because of this phone tag game they play almost everytime. After numerous phone calls, it's a miracle if you can get someone to transfer the call a lot or answer the main phone line. Transfers just keeps ringing. (Any time of daylight hours or day)
2. I called them again (after complaining to the Administrator last week) to talk to my mother who's (95) and was transferred 2 different times to nowhere and the 3rd time it just kept ringing. Then I tried again and let it ring and no one answered the phone at the reception desk after letting it ring for 5 mins. Each time, two times in 1/2 hour today at 6/7/20 around 2:30 pm. I couldn't talk to my mom 2 times this week because of this. "That's just the way they function" according to the conservator in charge of my Mother. Pathetic. One time I called the home and a patient answered the Home's phone from his room. He didn't know me and I didn't know him. At least he was a nice guy and I did get to talk to someone. Not a joke. Again, pathetic.
3. After talking to the Administrator in charge last week, she said this would all be taken care of since I've had nothing but problems with their miscommunications or no communications. It actually got worse since that call and now they don't even bother to pick up the phone when I called after trying to talk to my mother today 6/7. Pathetic.
4. They allowed my sister to actually burst down the halls (after being banned for other reasons) (in their words), past everyone and then found her on top of my Mom, doing unspeakable things in the bed in her room. 'They say' that they, had to break in the room and physically remove her from the building and then Police came to usher my sister out. (Male Admin then 2019) (No charges filed as far as I know.) My sister tells my mom (sneaks calls with the aid of someone in the home) that the conservator did it to her but the Home said they have witnesses. (2 nurses and 1 admin). I know, because I found out later that day when I went to visit. My sister was supposed to be banned from even calling. I feel The Grand Oaks Facility in Baldwin should be investigated for allowing this to happen and who knows what else.
5. Care seems to be ok but who knows what's really going on in there during this Covid19 crisis. I have not been able to visit, because of Covid19 shutdown and have rarely talked to my mom because they either won't or don't answer their phones. Some of them don't even know where my mother's room is half the time. My sister was banned from calling or visiting the home after she broke so many rules and they filed NO charges against her as far as I know. They even let her start calling and lying to my mother again which I found out, that, they say, has been stopped. Who knows? Pathetic! My suggestion to those who are thinking about putting their family member in this place should think about what has been mentioned and make sure you have them set up with a cell phone to keep with them or in their room. This cannot be done for obvious reasons with my mother.
6. After all this, someone began to let my banned sister to continue to sneak calls, with aid of patients and a nurse (or so called friend of sister) or nurses, according to my mother's conservator. Allowing my sister's calls and lies, only creates chaos by telling her she's going to get her out of there and will take her back to my mother's house which is unsafe. I've been told she is not allowed on the property or to visit our mother because she just makes things worse by lying to her. That probably isn't sorted out yet either. They couldn't keep anything straight. Incompetence and defying policy is what's happening in there.
7. They are on their 2nd Administrator within a year since my mother was admitted around Aug. 2019. I've been told a few times I couldn't talk to her which I finally got straightened out as far as I know because of my sisters same last name. It sure would be nice to know if your family member is really OK. My sister should have NOTHING to do with me calling our mother. I hope this has not happened to others in the home. I'm a laid back person and it takes a lot to make me angry. I'm now angry and will not stop pursuing this until it is fixed. This is truth supported by evidence and witnesses, and court hearings. Maybe someone will finally contact me and/or get this fixed, maybe not.
This is basically what I've found happens in the home from my experience with Grand Oaks Nursing Home in Baldwin.
Grand Oaks | The Peplinski Group, Inc.