• Updated review
I had initially provided a negative review based on first shipment of the parts. However, I notified clockworks.com about my review and they immediately responded... on a holiday (1/1/21). They shipped out a couple of replacement parts for the parts I mentioned would not work and added a free hangar component. Overall, they were very responsive, communicated multiple times to keep me in the...
“Part ordered works / incomplete shipment / low quality”
• Previous review
I replaced a very simple clock mechanism on a ceramic disk we got overseas. I got the mechanism to work with the following issues:
The mechanism I ordered had the following issues:
1. There is no hangar included in the standard clock kit... the picture I looked at when ordering had a hangar. None included and no indicator of which hangar type will work with the mechanism ordered (in looking at it in hindsight on the website... my existing hangar is of a different type than the mechanism I got!)
2. The main nut supplied in the hardware pack is cross-threaded. Fortunately I could use the nut off of the old mechanism. Worked fine but the nut included is crap.
3. The closed cap nut (goes on the end of the clock hands to give a finished look) is also cross threaded! I could not get it to go onto the end of the mechanism. They provide a "ring nut" which also fits the end of the clock mechanism. This immediately screwed on without issue *BUT* it leaves the mechanism's shaft exposed on the face of the clock and looks unfinished!
4. The plastic fittings for the hands are super cheap and it's up to the user to bend the hands in such a way that the hands don't cross each other after mounting (e.g. The minute hand falls lower than the hour hand and will drag the hour hand along with it!). This is one reason the nut in #3 is so important... it does help the hands stay apart but it is not the only solution and, as mentioned, this is not indicated in the directions at all... speaking of directions...
5. No assembly instructions were included in the packaging. Found them on the website but they are unclear on the last step because they are generic to all mechanisms of this type. They should have one set of directions for hour/minute hand only and one set of directions to install a sweep hand (for seconds). This is specific to the movement so you need to look carefully at the website to get the right instructions: https://www.clockparts.com/info/inst/miniMovements.jpg
6. Have to agree with other reviewers - shipping charge is *ridiculous* (USD 10.47 as of this writing on 1/1/2021)