Review of WyzAnt

support@wyzant.com

4 reviews with 3 stars

cassandras11
4/12/16

Wyzant can give you plenty of options to work with for tutors. Although some of the tutors aren't fully truthful about what they know making to process frustrating.

Also it seems that the site's communication board has good days and bad days.

suen18
10/29/15

I worked with a tutor who was wonderful and I worked with another who was not so wonderful. I only worked with the bad tutor for about 20 minutes online. Although I had explicitly stated what I needed (our correspondence is in writing), he accused me of not being upfront with him and being too low-level to help (he did not charge me, as far as I know). I called and spoke to a friendly representative who sent me a list of tutors and stated she would note the bad tutor to her supervisor. I am a "nontraditional" (aka old) student who has been out of school for a long time, so maybe I am a slower learner, but I have been working really hard to be successful (I've gotten A's on my tests). I felt insulted and humiliated by the bad tutor's comments/attitude. As I stated, the first tutor was really great (it's been a while, but I think he was from WyzAnt), so I don't think the bad tutor is representative of their tutors. Even though I had a bad experience, I would still recommend the site because there are kind people who are patient and understanding out there. Don't give up, even if you're old and slow!

voll
10/5/12

I tutored for Wyzant for a year. I think the system can work for certain people in certain areas but not for everybody. Wyzant is very much about the bottom line (money) and not its customers. A major problem is those who do not submit payment info. These people want the tutoring but for one reason or another have not/will not load payment info. You can not exchange contact info because Wyzant is afraid they woke make money off you. Not to mention that take a nice chunk out of the price you charge forcing you to charge the client more than you normally would.

jacobj1
1/28/12

It works; I got some business through the site. In fact, finding students through the site was a little easier than without it. However, I still had to work very hard for those students and only about 1 out of 14 correspondences ever lead to a lesson. Most of the students I was in contact with were not even valid because the WyzAnt system is all about students placing their credit card info on file, which they're understandably cautious about. Then the site has the nerve to ask for up to 40% of my income!

WyzAnt has a strange business model. They take a significant cut of your hourly rates, but set you up to meet in person. Considering this, I suspect tutors and students cutting the site out of the deal is a huge problem, at least in part justifying their apparent neurosis. They could make it a little better by at least offering tutors a more reasonable cut of the income they generate. To make matters worse, the vast majority of students I connected with through the site did not have billing info on file and were thus off limits. I ended up spending substantial time explaining the billing system to weary customers and easing their concerns only to find that most of those cautious customers found a tutor elsewhere.

With all these students with no billing info badgering me to meet them anyway, I had my work cut out for me just fending them off. One day a very professional and respectful young man started with his concerns about the billing system and asking me to meet him at his school and cut the site out. I tried and tried to ease his concerns but he insisted I meet him and gave me a location. I said I'd come talk with him in person about the billing system and help ease his concerns. Within hours of this, my profile was disabled. After all those countless hours laboring for the company trying to get students to do as WyzAnt wanted, put billing info on file, this one little incident got me zapped out of the system. Talk about institutional neurosis.

Based upon observations, you have to be invited after you have reached a "stable" level. I don't know if this is based 1) total number of students 2) total number of concurrent students 3) their finding out that I tutored online using other than WyzAnt tools 4) total number of hours 5) length w/WyzAnt At the time I was invited I had 1) 20 total students 2) 6 repeating students 3) used skype to tutor online local WyzAnt student 4) 100+ hours 5) more than 1 year

By Barbara W.

My experience has been they will drop you rather than address a problem. Think about what they do, make money off someones work and talent. Easier to avoid the problem completely!!

By Don P.

Hi. I followed up with Wyzant a number of times. They refused to let me speak to a supervisor and told me that there was nothing they could say about WHY they shut down my profile. I've never encountered such an unhelpful company (except for Comcast)...

By Pam P.

Yes, potential clients of mine said Wyzant hounded them over and over to give billing info. Wyzant apparently thinks it's our job to police them and be sure they do that. All we can do as tutors is echo that we cannot meet them until they do that, however some are hesitant. Not my problem anymore. Wyzant sucks.

By Pam P.

Private tutors would all be better off if Wyzant did not exist. Profit margins are thin and nobody wants somebody skimming 30 % (that is best case scenario: 20% from tutor and 10% from student. Early on the rate is 50%). But Wyzant hires a massive team of graphic designers, programmers and data experts to dominate the internet. So anybody who wants to be a local tutor absolutely must use them to survive. Wyzant provides a service to the consumer, but expects the business to pay most of the cost.

By Nancy S.

Yes, we do! WyzAnt has tutors and teachers qualified in Computer Science as well as a host of specific computer languages such as C++, Ruby, and Javascript.

By Carol E., WyzAnt Representative

Hi Susan, you can personally remove payment information at any time through our dashboard, as long as no lessons charges are pending!

By Carol E., WyzAnt Representative

Hi Jude, tutors on WyzAnt set their own hourly rate, which makes for a wide range of prices. We find most fall within the $30-60 per hour range. Some higher level subjects (eg programming) might be a little higher. It's certainly possible to work within any budget you might have.

By Carol E., WyzAnt Representative

Anna, I am a tutor with WyzAnt. While I don't advertise that I negotiate my fee, if the student has a legitimate reason for a discount, I sometimes agree or compromise. Each individual tutor is different. Therefore, you can ask. I cannot guarantee what the answer will be. -Michelle

By Michelle S.

Questions? Get answers from the WyzAnt staff and other customers.

1 Photo for WyzAnt