Review of thredUP

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

sarar63
3/14/17

It would not be fair to share my update!!! I had problems with customer service and returns... Customer service contacted me and my stuff was on my pourch 2 days later!!! They did make it right

anonymousj7
3/14/17

I purchased my first box of clothes and can't really complain but they mixed up sizes since when is a size 3 an XL? Many items are like new and I can see myself wearing a few times. The shoes I got actually for resale were in great condition. I will order at least one more time to see if it is good.or if I just lucked out this time. I am also going to place a kids clothes order as well.

lauraf97
3/13/17

I've had a really positive experience with ThredUp so far. I've made three purchases. Although I've always sent at least one thing back, it's been because I haven't liked the way it fit or looked on me, and that's how I typically am when I shop. I think the things I've purchased have been described correctly, and the pictures are good representations of what they actually are. I also sent in a bag of clothes. I really did not expect much, I was just hoping to get a few dollars of credit because I know I'd spend it on the website. They took some things I wasn't sure if they would, and they didn't take other things I was sure they would take. So that's hit or miss, but to me, it really didn't matter. I wish I was better at knowing what they'd take so that I didn't cost them money. I'm a consignment shopper for the low prices, but also to reduce waste and consumption. ThredUp really fits my consignment shopping values, and I hope to keep supporting the company.

caitlinp9
3/13/17

I saw a lot of people complaining about pricing. This is not the good will or the thrift store, this company only accepts items in certain conditions and certain brands. I sent my mother-in-laws clothes that were in acceptable condition and with brands that are accepted that I otherwise would have donated. Of all of the bag of clothes I sent I got about $20 which I used towards a new shirt. Cant beat it!

cynthias84
3/13/17

I have purchased several dresses and I am very happy with the fit and quality /condition. I have only chosen a few items that didn't fit me and the return process was extremely easy. I am able to add clothing without spending an arm and a leg. This a great benefit! Great prices, too.

oliven3
3/12/17

I put some items in my cart and after 24 h when I went back to purchase, the items were removed. I searched them back and the prices went up radicously!! From $17.99 to $40!also they gave me a 10% coupon and to counterbalance this, they raised prices on all items I previously VIEWED ( not in cart). I asked them about it, and they admitted they do this on "high demand items".... What a SCAM!!!

laurelw6
3/11/17

But even if you buy clothing, it feels tainted because you know this company has screwed over someone else the way they did you. They gave me about two dollars for great clothing that I wish I would have never sent to them. Overall, just stay away. Not even worth rewarding a thief like app.

lorrir
3/10/17

Sent in a bag with aprox 40 itmes. They accepted 10 for which I got nothing because of the 9.99 sevice fee. They have these listed for 125.00 on their site. Had a Jean jacket from Talbots they did not accept, excellent condition. Worst experience and not worth the effort on my part. I will donate in the future.

heatherr73
3/10/17

To sell, you used to send in your bag and get hardly anything back. I could deal with that, because of the convenience of it all. Now, you have to PAY THEM 9.99 just to send your clothes in???? No thank you! This means you literally make nothing and what they don't accept, they sell to third parties. I will donate to good will and get the tax write-off.

lauraa79

SELLING (-)

It took the company over a month to process the clothes that I sent in. They were late on the initial process date they quoted. In regard to upfront payout, they accepted 7 items that they are selling for a total of ~$92 and they gave me $10 (so they're giving sellers a little over 10% based on this bag). They then deduct $9.99 for bag shipping / processing. It was pretty hilarious to see one penny credited to my account - thanks guys! This doesn't include some items that they have accepted for consignment (rather than upfront payout). There you can adjust the sale price of your item. I trust the prices they have decided on - I'm sure they are marked based on extensive data they have based on what consumers want / are willing to pay. It's just that the payouts are quite low to the seller. There is a sliding scale of 5-45% or so, but I would prefer to see a MINIMUM payout of 30% across the board. If you are willing to put in a little more work via Poshmark or a local consignment shop, you'll definitely make way more. For this reason, I won't be selling to ThredUP again.

BUYING (+)

As for buying, my experience has been way more positive. I've found some really cute things. When I return, I return and take store credit so I don't have to pay for shipping. If you know the brands you like, your size in them, and fabrics you like, there are generally no surprises if you sort by like new or new with tags (pro tip). There have been a couple instances where I have received items marked like new and disagreed with that assessment (and returned the items); but the quality control is usually pretty good.

Just my two cents! (Or one, lol - see above if you missed that one).

jessicag132
3/9/17

Clothes are often not as described, smell bad, customer service is awful, uses lots of unnecessary packing materials

jaimeeg
3/9/17

I decided to sell my gently used clothes at thredUp (we're talking J.Crew and madewell items) I sent it in September and didn't get paid out til November. Their buying process is just terrible, I've had greatly luck and turn-around with crossroads trading.

lisah263
3/8/17

Gross, these clothes are disgusting! I bought clothes that were supposed to be like new. One had deodorant stains, one a blood stain in the crotch, and the worst was stink sweater. The B.O. was so bad that it was like being punched in the face when I opened the box. It made the rest of the clothes and my house smell. Truly the worst B.O. I have ever witnessed and I've taught middle school. There was no way that this assault on the nostrils was not noticed by the vender. A $90 box of stinky garbage clothes, I couldn't even donate this stuff.

Tip for consumers: Avoid at all costs! Better off just flushing your money down the toilet.

melissac139
3/7/17

The clothes they accepted from me is being sold on their site for $144. I got $8 from it, and it costs $9.99 for the shipping.

julies159
3/7/17

I know thred up gives pennies for items but I was ok with that. I have a bunch of clothing in great condition I just don't feel like selling for $10-15 and shipping out myself. Now I see they're charging $10 for the bag too? Common guys... they openly admit to giving you 50 cents to a dollar for clothing like j crew in optimal condition so they're basically telling you now that not only are you not going to get anything but also that since they are donating the "unsellable" clothing you don't actually get to write it off on your taxes because they're either writing it off on theirs or selling the clothes by the pound to another company. I sold to them years ago and received $50 which was nowhere near great but it was worth the hassle of not dealing with it myself to make $200. Not anymore. So disappointed.

aprild34
3/4/17

Don't expect to get any money for your clothes. Not only do they charge $9.99 now to ship your clothes,
I would have gotten $4 for a huge bag and I did not did not even get that because they deduct $9.99 from your profits. So basically the 6 items they kept and sold, I saw not 1 penny for it. I wasn't expecting a lot but it would have been nice to have gotten something.

donnat79
3/4/17

You usually end up paying more than you actually make when you send clothes in despite being new with tags and designer. However, I have bought clothes for my kids and had a good experience. Husky jeans are pricey in a store and don't like to pay the money just to have holes in the knees weeks later. No worry when I pay $5.00 a pair. Bought my daughter forever 21 clothes at a big discount and she has been very pleased with the items. The descriptions are accurate and the prices are a bargain.

maureenp20
3/3/17

About a year ago I sent a 10lb bag full of ralph lauren gap gymboree tommy hilfiger and coach clothing and accesories. Most of which had never been worn. So imagine my surprise when these people not only took over 2 months to process the bag they paid me 50 dollars for the whole bag turned right around and placed my clothes on the websight for double what they paid me. Yes they need to make money off of their customers but this was a total ripoff. When I asked customer service to explain this nonense they gave me all these equations that didnt make any sense and when I asked for further explanation they just stopped answering me completely. Dont ever trust these people with anything. Go to ebay instead...

cynthiap47
3/3/17

Love ThredUp, the service is fabulous, the attention to packing/shipping detail is lovely. Seldom disappointed, always complimented on beautiful, designer finds. My experience with consigning was less gratifying, I'm afraid. Won't do that again, not much in the way of profit, AT ALL. But, the shopping, I love.

leiad1
3/2/17

I send about 25 items in good conditions and when I saw my credit I was surprised: 6,26. What? I much rather donate next time! Don't loose your time, this people are just trying to be smart but they can only ful people once!

kristac8
3/2/17

The site is easy to navigate and I appreciate the report of the condition of each piece. For the few things I've ordered it's been very accurate. Prices are very good and customer service has also been fantastic in my experience.

staciec8
3/1/17

I just sent a huge bag in yesterday well worth over $400 and now I'm very nervous that I won't get anything or the clothes back. Wish I read reviews first and hope they start doing a better service to the sellers because without us they are nothing. Period.

faya11
3/1/17

Thred up started out sending people a bag and asked that the bag be filled to the top. I requested 2 bags and sent in items I no longer had use for. I requested that the items they could find no use for be donated to a place of their choice. Thred up was able to sell some of my items and I currently have a balance that I can use to purchase from their site or request a check for the amount. I was surprised when I requested another bag and saw that there was a charge of $9.99 for processing. I understand the charge, but I don't understand thred up changing in the middle of the game. It reminds me of a drug dealer. The first couple of times, the drug is free. Then once you get hooked, then there is a charge. But it's a business and bottom line it's all about the money. So I will be taking my clothes to Goodwill from now on.

crazyk2
3/1/17

I've enjoyed both selling and buying with thredup. I'm not getting rich off of it, but it's good to get some return from clothes I shouldn't have bought to begin with.

ashleya86
3/1/17

AVOID AVOID AVOID. I tried ThredUp on a friend's recommendation and came away feeling like I'd been scammed. I sent about 40 items to them, many of them designer. They paid me $26, and then deducted $20 in fees, for a final grand total of...$5! I understand that they're a business, but how do they get away with paying people 10% of what they turn around and sell it for? They also took two months to process my bag. You are FAR better off donating to charity or friends.

118 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the thredUP staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
on 6/9/13
on 9/26/15
on 6/7/15
Answer
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other customers.

15 Photos for thredUP