Review of thredUP

San Francisco, CA 94104, United States
support@thredup.com

melindaw22
8/6/17

I ordered my clean out kit and I paid extra for them to send back my items that didnt make the cut. (Which they did send a few things back, though I'm unclear what was wrong with them?) Anyhow, I was pretty excited, thinking I would at least make some decent $$ for my clothing and shoes! WRONG!!! (I sent in all name brand, trendy, boutique quality clothing & shoes, some of which were brand new or barely worn. No walmart or Pennys stuff!)
Let's just say I was pissed when I only recieved a credit for around $37!(one pair of handmade, name brand sandals were sold for over $100 on the site not sure how much$ I was given for them?)
I will never again, sell anything to them....I'd make more at a yard sale!
I did purchase a sweet pair of Frye boots and was given my 40% 1st time order discount. That was my only posetive with Thred Up.
Not pleased at all.
I GIVE THEM LESS THAN 1 STAR

eulinej
8/6/17

..have tried to get on this site twice today. it keeps saying i have an incorrect e-mail, and password.never been on here before. EULINE J

tinaw97
8/5/17

I am SO disappointed with my experience. I received my clean out bag and stuffed it to the max with almost new clothing, a lot still with tags even! After waiting 8 weeks for the bag to process, I found out they only kept 12 of my items to sell and I only got $14 for it! I totaled up how much they were selling all my items for at it was well over $140. I then received an e-mail from someone at the company claiming to be a real person, not a robot, who wanted to know how I enjoyed my experience whether good, bad or indifferent. This guy, Anthony, claimed he responds to every e-mail personally. Well, I wrote an e-mail explaining my frustrations and ended by asking to know where the clothes that were not kept were donated to. I have yet to receive a response over a month later. Thanks Anthony. Do yourself a favor, stay away!

patricial105
8/5/17

DON'T DO IT!! DON'T DO IT!! DON'T DO IT!! DON'T DO IT!! DON'T DO IT!! DON'T DO IT!! DON'T DO IT!! DON'T DO IT!! DON'T DO IT!!

krism62
8/5/17

Please do not send in your clothes ...it's a total scam. I was told the exact same thing (too many bags, 2 to 3 more weeks etc). Update ... I got a whole $12.20 for my 50 pds of clothes . They said they accepted 7 pieces. Some of the items I never heard of .
Please Please do NOT send your clothes .

dianes192
8/4/17

It is a scam! They will steal your clothes! I sent in my clothes and shoes (couture items and brand new shoes, Laurel, Escada, Sam Edelman) over two months ago and was supposed to receive a LATE payout yesterday and they just told me that they will start processing my bag in 10 to 14 days from today. There are hundreds of reviews of people never receicing any money and I am another case! DON'T DO IT!!! It is a SCAM!!! They are selling things for $3. How do they make money? They don't pay the people sending in the clothes!!!!!

wandam37
8/3/17

This really sounded wonderful when I first found it and I have gotten a few pieces that were nice. However, most things I've ordered I've had to return because the measurements on the site were off. In addition, I too, sent a large bag of mostly designer labels to them and have not heard one word. I'll be deleting this app and won't recommend to anyone.

keshanam
8/3/17

Selling my clothes there had me furious of the outcome. They take your clothes and don't even give you 5% of what the sell if for. Also as I tried to cash out the $4.81 they gave me plus PayPal takes 2% of my total (okay thats fine) but it shows it took more than the 2% papypal takes away! And it even shows you the math!!! Really wish I could post a picture of this !

cathyl60
8/3/17

I am extremely disappointed with this company. I sent in a 50 pound bag of like new name brand clothes and received $9.91...Shipping charges assessed by the company $9.99. So for all of my effort and clothes I actually owed them .08 cents....

kellye43
8/2/17

I sent in a bag full of very nice clothes and some that were just meh..okay, mostly from anthropologie, j.crew, etc. Somehow, they took only a small amount of the items, and what they took weren't even the nicest things in the bag...everything else was "unacceptable" and donated. Why would they take the stuff that isn't the best, and donate ALL of the pristine, highest end stuff that I had? I used to work at a high end consignment shop and I don't understand. However, I'm an avid ebay user, and I came across listings advertised under thredup with the same logo and everything...so is that where my nice stuff went? Who knows. But 1 star for being shady, because I highly doubt any of that stuff was donated.

paulab73
8/2/17

my last clean out bag took and additional month to process, and then the payout was ZERO! charged me $9.95 to send them the bag. I have been a customer for 2 years. But never ever again. Horrible.

sammiec14
8/1/17

I ordered a clean out kit back in early June, and took around 2 weeks to reach them and then was notified that my bag would not even begin processing until JULY 26th. Contacted customer service, they told me they were receiving a large number of bags. I let it go and waited, July 26th comes around and nothing. Sent customer service a message again and told me it would be processed within the next 3 weeks. Thankfully, my bag was finally processed on August 1st. But when I saw thag my payout was 41 CENTS, I was so shocked, furious actually. I sent in a pair of brand new good-quality wedges, another pair of heels, jeans, and about 4 nice tops. This company will STEAL your clothes. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME. Donate your clothes to goodwill or sell them on eBay. Thred up sounds like such a good idea but it's a shame they are taking advantage of people.

nicolec139
8/1/17

I got a skirt that is adorable but unfortunately a little tight/strange in the hip area... for an item that cost me $12 it would be $8.99 to ship back and return... I would get $3 back. So I would be pretty much be paying this company money to try on a used skirt... thrifty? I think not.

aprilh58
8/1/17

Like others who have posted their experience with Thredup, I had a similar thing happened to me. I sent in 13 pieces of maternity clothing....really not much I know.....but they were clothes I was definitely not going to use again so I figured why not. I saw a couple of YouTube reviews that weren't bad so I gave it a shot. ALL my items were accepted which I thought was surprising. 6 out of 13 were categorized as excellent condition/ mistaken for "brand new". My payout minus bag fee was $2!!!!
I am not too concerned with the money but I will agree that this company is a major SCAM and Rip off. U will literally get .50-.75 cents per item. I wish I would have donated my clothes to someone in need ;( instead of using this horrible site. Or if u really need cash for your clothes use Ebay!

danaw43
8/1/17

I sent in a bag of really nice and almost new clothing. One shirt was from Sundance Catalog and was worth over $100.00. I got $12.00 for the whole bag! I thought I would get about 30% of what my clothing was worth. More like 2%! If you want to donate your clothing then this is the place to go but don't be mistaken that you will get a fair share because my experience is you will not. I will not be sending any more in. I am sorely disappointed in thredUP

valeries62
8/1/17

I sent high end nearly new some new items close to 80 items and received $5.99 - I still cannot get that that $5.99 due to their email system errors. I have yet to receive the code to cash out. I have emailed and heard back with we're sorry we'll look into 6 times... it's 5 bucks guys you've already made almost $200 on what you kept of mine and there are still items left to sell.....freaking joke

maryb477
7/31/17

I sent a bag of designer clothes to thredup and received zero dollars. Twenty items and the gave me credit if 9.50 and bag fee $9.99. These items were new or worn once. This is an absolute scam. If you are trying to make extra cash DO NOT GIVE THEM ANYTHING.Just donate or give to some one else. AWFUL COMPANY!!!

susans368
7/31/17

The clothes were pricey for resale and one of the shirts described by the site in "excellent" condition had a hole in it.

johannad6
7/31/17

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, send your clothing to this company reimbursement. They prey upon people who are looking for an honest and easy way to trade used clothing for credit or money. The first two times I sent clothing in I received a reasonable exchange but the third time I was surprised by the outcome. I took advantage of their "donation service" which they charge a fee for if they don't use your clothing and if you want your unused clothing back they also charge you a fee. It wasn't until the 4th time I sent a bag in that I truly realized what an absolute flat out scam artist this company is running. I sent in bag full of Gymboree clothing that was brand new without tags. My child was not able to wear them as we had most of our house packed up in storage. When we got out of temporary housing I sent an ENTIRE WARDROBE in. After 6 weeks I was sent an email that concluded that my bag was worth. $4.99. YES, $4.99. As a bag processing fee is also $4.99 I officially earned $0.00. Just let that sink in. As a bargain shopper I pride myself on getting good deals but even a good deal at Gymboree is costly. At this point in the process there was nothing I could do to change the outcome. I had already "paid" to donate the unused clothing. NEVER AGAIN. BEWARE of business. If you would normally donate your items and do not care about receiving compensation for them, go for it but do not expect any fair dealings with ThredUp.

catherineo26
7/30/17
• Updated review

My bag was finally processed after about 60 days. As others have said the pay is nothing and will most likely cost you to send them clothes. They will make at 50% profit minimum if you consider labor cost. Which I really don't have an issue with if you are paying fair prices for the clothes in the first place. While Thredup is very up front now with the "hey send us your clothes so we can cheat you." We are all to blame for helping them to stay in business. As we send our clothes in and complain about their practices they get product to sell Frankly, I will not send them another stitch of clothing and I am seriously considering closing my account and letting them keep the .85 cents. I certainly will not be purchasing anything else from them. I do feel the CEO and upper management for THredup are somewhere laughing at the consumers gullibility. So are they scam, no they say right up front you will not get anything for what you send and we will charge you to send ti to us. Do they cheat you nope they said we are going to pay you nothing up front. My take away is give your clothes to a local charity or consign local. Much better investment. Purchasing from Thredup, as tempting as it is you are only helping thredup perpetuate this vicious cycle.

“I'm still waiting”
7/21/17
• Previous review

I have purchased several items and have been reasonably pleased. Though I will mention if you go by the measurements given on the website DO NOT! Only buy brands you know what size you wear.

I sent in a clean out bag and got caught between policy changes and I am still waiting on my bag to get checked in, if it ever does. It took 21 days to get to Thredup and if they check it in as they have posted it will be 36 days to check in. Again I managed to send in my bag as they were changing policy. I was expecting one thing and after finally reaching out told oh no here is the new policy we are using to check in your bag. Personally as a business woman if you change your policies there are grandfather clauses to transition. Also, I think what has really made me concerned is I got a survey asking for my experience in selling. Hard to honestly answer since my transaction is not complete. So I came to read the reviews and boy no wonder they sent out a survey. I am guessing I should just write this all off as a bad experience and warn off the friends I had already recommended Thredup Sure hope Thredup proves these reviews wrong.

danaa31
7/30/17

I sent an overstuffed clean out bag of quality, name brand dresses, some of which have never been worn, After responding two weeks later than they said they would, they gave me a total pay off of $2.21. Please learn from my mistake and don't send your clothes to ThredUp. I would rather have my clothes back to donate to a worthy cause then have them stolen from me by ThredUp.

morganb51
7/30/17

I sent two bags of quality clothes most had never been worn and got next to nothing for them. One dress I sent in from jcrew was brand new and never worn and they claimed it had signs of wear. I spent 15 minutes arguing with them and they did nothing but tell me that their inspectors see things that the we the people that actually bought the item brand new don't see. I call bs. The only reason I didn't return the dress to jcrew was it was a final sale. Will never sell or buy anything from them again and will make sure everyone I know doesn't either.

caitlynt2
7/29/17

Sent 14 item brand new tags. Got credit for 1% out of the whole things.Yet they have the nerve to listed at the price it actually is. Can request for items back. Seem like they do ris regularly! Their business motto must be rip people off to get their items and turn around to sell at regular price. That how they got all their listing. So sad this this business still exist with such unethical, deceptive and scamming way to practice their business!! I hope and heart break for all those people that we t through the same thing and can't do anything to get their items back. Be smart buy and sell from EBay, at least the seller there can be checked through feedback, unlike this company with pretty logo advertisements yet can't wait for their next victim!

annag102
7/28/17

Really? I sent 20 items, the payout was about $2.00 per item, less $4.99 for other charges. Many of the items still had on the tags, or had only been worn once or twice. I checked on the items selling and they averaged $20 apiece. I feel like I wasn't paid enough. It was way more trouble than it was worth. I will use Craig's List or my local Buy & Sell next time.

claudiner2
7/28/17

As the same as others, I made very little after sending in 2 bags filled with quality items, I used to use another website "Twice" who is no longer in business (maybe I know why now) and would get approx. $45 per bag for my items, now Im getting $4.50ish, and thats not including now, what seems to be double shipping charges. Thats crazy! Its not even the .45 cents they are valuing and item at 5% given for it, which is insane, I can sell it for $1.00 to $3.00 at my garage sales, but its the items they are not taking! It cant be, there is no way that they didnt accept certain items that I know were of value and on trend, so seriously, they are donating them? I dont think so, maybe packing them up and reselling wholesale to someone!
Sell your own stuff on letgo or donate. Ebay is a hassle to list and it seemed great to be able to use Thredup to get cash for your items without that hassle for less, but for pennies? come on!!! Their items are way too much too if your a buyer, free shipping if you spend $75? on used clothes? Shipping has become expensive so I understand that they just cant ship everything free, including their kits, BUT maybe make your clean out kits less of the BS pamphlet book that is included, totally unnecessary! and obviously costly! and your killing a lot of trees for it!

Dont sell, you will be so dissapointed! Thred Up, you need to find another way, this is making a lot of people Pissed OFF!!! No Stars!!

Do NOT do NOT do NOT give them your nice clothing. They will STEAL it from you. Things that warrant a good price tag should go to a consignment shop. Those you're willing to sell, use eBay, those you just want to "off load", donate to consignment yourself. You will feel better about it, I promise.

By C F.

I'd love to see a class action suit build against this company. I'm a young professional -- a lawyer, actually (unrelated practice area) -- who is shocked and disappointed by this company's conduct. They're taking advantage of a demographic they think won't speak up. Young women: raise your voices! After having my like-new Diane Von Furstenberg weekender bag disappear into this company, never to be seen again, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. One small step, but it's something! It takes 5 minutes. USE YOUR VOICE!

By Amy S.

Hi Wendy, If you have any specific items in mind it is best to contact support@thredup.com to get an estimate however we have this information posted in the link below: http://support.thredup.com/hc/en-us/articles/203415086-CONSIGNMENT-Everything-you-need-to-know- Essentially, items with a higher MSRP will offer a higher payout on resale. We are always happy to answer any questions that you may have if you reach out to support. We look forward to assisting you.

By James R. [thredUP Rep]

I almost always sell on eBay first. Then when I don't feel like hanging on to the clothes any more and just want my closet space back and they have been on eBay for months, I will send to thredUP. I don't even send in that high end of items and I will usually get $16 and up per bag. So to me, it's a last resort, but I usually can expect something even if it's a little. I LOVE thredUP for buying. Use their upfront calculator to see what items they take. They will say 50 cents to 1.00 per item so it is not hidden info. There is always the return option where you can get your entire bag back for $12.99 as well. Everyone who has nice stuff they'd want back should opt for this method always.

By S S.

They sent me an email and put the money on my thred up account so I can buy something. I was do disgusted I gave up on the whole thing

By Lynne R.

Honestly this company is not choosing to accept a lot of product that could easily be listed. I have sent bags and bags, including valuable pieces.... cashmere sweaters, high end items of considerable retail cost and relatively recently produced. When questioned I am given the response that the items were not in as good a shape as they wanted them to be.. that their buyers should be able to buy perfect product. My take on this is ..... if it's a 200 dollar cashmere sweater and the purchase price is under 10 dollars, a few pills on the fabric should be a non issue!!!! Period. I question what is going on, frankly, as many do. Too much disappears with no explanation, many bags go into complete reject status. I genuinely am concerned that there is a story here and may become apparent after a while. Only time will tell.

By caroline g.

Not worth it unless you have stuff priced over $40 and can get 40%. There percentages are ridiculous for lower priced clothes. You can order return assurance for about $12 but be prepared to get a bag back with your items stuffed in like garbage. They do not even take the time to fold things nicely even though you pay for this service.

By Susan W.

Of course buyers are satisfied. They are getting other peoples' brand-name, like-new clothes that has been stolen by ThredUp. Buying from ThredUp just supports their dishonest and shady business practice.

By Allison F.

Ditto above contact company direct, more than likely you will end up feeling ripped off. I stick with likewice.com for selling

By Shanda D.
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other customers.

18 Photos for thredUP