Review of thredUP

San Francisco, CA 94104, United States
support@thredup.com

melissav35
7/3/17

I started shopping on Thredup about 7 months a go. I loved the items I purchased- great condition & price! I then began cleaning out my closet & sent in many high end clothing items- the first few bags I sent in the payout was ok, not great but tolerable. But within the past 3-4 months Thredup started charging $9.99 per bag & the payouts were literally nothing- I'm talking like $1.23 for 10 or more New or like New items! Thredup has since lowered the price to submit a bag to $4.99, but that is still ridiculous when you see how much your items end up selling for on their website. I have gone back to donating most of my stuff to the Salvation Army, which is a completely transparent and legitimate organization not out to make millions off your donations.

emilyf6
7/2/17

It used to be free to send in clothes. about 2 months ago I sent in over 20 of my son's high end items. Most were Polos that I checked over very carefully..no stains, no signs of wear, nearly new. All of them. Not only did they take TWO MONTHS to get to my bag, I get an email saying that NONE of them were accepted! THEN....I see that my account balance had gone down. When I write to inquire, they inform me that they CHARGED me $5 to SEND IN OVER 20 EXPENSIVE ITEMS IN GREAT SHAPE!! I am so pissed. I could have sold them locally for at least a few dollars a piece which is what I should have done :( LESSON LEARNED! beware of this SCAM unless you enjoy flushing money down the toilet!!

kathleent28
7/2/17

When I started with thredUp it was a great resource to get a little back on items I would donate normally. The last 6 months it has not been this way. They are charging fees . My guess is they were doing well when they started and have just had to adjust due to cost of running the operation. It appears they got flooded with used items. Nice idea but I do not see them the same.

jn78
7/1/17

Total rip off. Do not send anything to them because they will take only 2/3 items that they will value at around $5 less shipping $4.99 and you get $0. Give it to charity you will feel better.

brookes35
6/30/17

Send in over 20 items, they only took 8...all nice and branded clothes and shoes. They gave me only $5.80!!! BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! They deduct a $4.99 "shipping and handling fee" which they don't tell you about up front, so really I am only left with $0.81..... I knew I wouldn't get what I paid for my items originally, I understood it would be less. But those items were easily over $200 and they give me less than $1... Which I CAN'T EVEN CASH OUT because you need to have at least $1 to cash out.

Plus it took them 6-7 weeks to finally inform me of my payout. A payout I can't even cash out...

jilla29
6/30/17

Sent 11 new, tagged designer clothes, and had 9 rejected. Wrong brands. I was supposed to go through their list of 25,000 acceptable brands, according to ThredUp, my fault. I received $1.10. One dress I sent was a GatsbyLady, costing $165. COMPLETE RIP OFF. NEVER, ever do business here. Sell it yourself.

daniellew53
6/29/17

I haven't sold anything and it looks like that's where all the neg reviews come , but I've learned you never get any $ from consignment. BUT.... I've bought two Kors, Dansco, Uggs (all shoes), a Kors blouse, and a couple other designer shoes, ALL, under $30. They were better than advertised. I gave a little leeway thinking the pics might be doctored. Nope. Product was as is or really better. I'll alway buy my shoes from here (or tops if abs sure they would be ok and it was)!!!!! LOVE!!!!!

pissedo75
6/29/17

I sent these people almost $250 in NEW WITH TAGS clothes and accessories. They give me a "Payout" of $37 and deduct $5 for the "free bag including shipping" they sent me to put all of my nice things in. All in all I end up with $32. SUCH. A. SCAM. Next time I will donate to the Goodwill for free like I always have. The only one benefiting here is ThredUp!!! (insert 2 thumbs down Emoji)

latoyal5
6/29/17

Yes they stole a pair of my chartreuse color pumps and they had to pay for them too....I guess they forgot that I of I order for the bag to come back everything needs to come back that they did not post.. smh

celiad5
6/28/17

Sold everything (not high end) right away. Some of the clothing I sent (which were in great condition ) not shown. Lord and Taylor shirt missing, many shorts, etc. Sketcher sneakers. One pair of shorts sold, what happened to the exact same ones, in the same condition? $1.71 is my payment. Going to consignment shop for 40% not 15%. Don't waste your time!

dawnr50
6/27/17

As far as pay out one star I feel so let down I sent a lot of nice items that were name brands and high ends and only received $11 minus the 4.99, which left me with $6.39 I was expecting a lot more and have tons of stuff to send but not going to waste my time I will probably still shop on their site but as far as selling definitely a big let-down

kendrad9
6/27/17

My frustrations are the same as all the other reviews. I didn't expect to receive a significant payout like on some other 'designer' consignment websites where you get to name your own price for the item(s) you sell/post, but their payouts are absolutely ridiculous. Name brand, gently used, CURRENT/TRENDY, items you receive pocket change for. Its absolutely absurd. They charge you to ship, charge you to return which is conveniently ALWAYS more than any payout amount you will ever receive.
Consign locally or take your clothes to some retail stores to get % of items you buy from that store. I really think this company should NOT be in business with their current business model. If people STOP SELLING, there inventory will dwindle and they will be forced to refine their policies that benefit all parties instead of just THEM.

jackieb91
6/26/17

Sent in things worth over $1000 and payout was $6.50. Because the shipping was also about $6.50 they magically reduced my overall payout to $0. You tell me if it's a scam or not.

aspenm
6/25/17

I donated more than 20 articles of clothing, nice clothing, and received $7.13 for all of it. They are listing my clothing online for more than I purchased it for in the first place. It's a scam. I'll never use this sight again. Better off having a garage sale or selling it yourself on eBay.

julial16
6/24/17

Do NOT send your clothes/items. This is a total scam operation. I believe they started out as a legit business but soon realized they couldn't make a profit or enough profit. They began charging for their clean out bag and declined at ton of clothes. They say they donate the unwanted items but what they do is they sell mostly to companies that take cotton/terry cloth/acrylic clothes and turn them into rags. I have worked in the metal industry and have seen these rags. Depending on what you order it can be new wipe down rags or literally cut up t-shirts, towels, dresses. It was pretty eye opening. Of course ThredUp isn't the only company/charity doing this. Many charities, even Goodwill, can and will only keep a fraction to be sold. However, ThredUp tells us to send our best, almost new, up to date fashions, then rejects most of it or give us pennies and turns around sells them and "donates" the rest for money. That's my friends is a scam.

lesliek39
6/24/17

When I heard about Thred Up, I thought, "Finally! Somewhere to sell clothing that takes a multitude of brands." They are NOT what they claim just like many of the other reviews here. They charge $10 to ship your items to them, which you are inclined to pay because you think you will be making money on your items, especially the new ones...not so. Thred Up donated hundreds of dollars worth of new items of mine claiming things that were impossible, like they were faded. What it comes down to is their inventory and preference, but you would have to pay another $10 for the to send them back and must indicate that you want that before sending your items in...so let me get this straight, Thred Up wants me to PAY them to donate my clothes, what an awesome scam for them! The items they do pay you on are mere pennies, I would love to see them shut down and would never buy from them or send the clothes again. I can certainly donate my clothes myself for free.

kerrya30

Maurices Cardigan 14 (0) listed for $10.99 with 5% payout of $0.55
Mossimo Jacket XL listed for $10.99 with 5% payout of $0.55

ginap35
6/23/17

Let me preface this by saying I sent in a bag of clothes last year and had a great experience - processed quickly - the clean out bag was free to send in - and I ended up making about $300 for 24 pieces - some being upfront payouts and others being consignment pieces.

I didn't hesitate sending in more clothes a few months ago --- without realizing they'd changed their "payout system" - and now the company I once recommended to everyone I could, is one I can't encourage people to run far away from as fast as they can.

First they charge you to send in your clothes (which can be 4.99 - 5.99 - 9.99 or 10.99 - it seems to fluctuate) -- then you wait - and wait - and wait - for them to even get to your bag -- unfortunately I sent in multiple bags at once -- with an estimated processing of a month...which came and went. Finally they got to my bags 2 weeks later. Then bam - you get hit with the insulting figure they tell you your bag of clothes is supposedly worth. Here's where I feel they mess people over......

They need to fix their "estimated payout calculator" - which they furnish and encourage you to use / you put in the brand name and type of item and it shoes you what you can expect to receive for a similar piece. For example - you type in Ann Taylor and choose dress - and it comes up with several dresses, indicating a payout would be $9.25.

it's a scam to have people using it prior to sending in items thinking they'll be receiving in the neighborhood of $9.25 for a brand new with tags Ann Taylor dress -- so you send in a whole bag of clothes...thinking "well according to their calculator - all these clothes I'm sending in should fetch around $166 ----- so of course it's a pure shock when you end up clearing $13!! <--- cause don't forget you have to pay a $10.99 fee for the privilege of them stealing your clothes! Have I mentioned you then have to wait 14 days to be able to "cash out"?

Then they say "the payout calculator may not reflect our new payout system" - yeah I'd say. They're a scam and I'll continue to shout it until they're honest up front about payouts to people. Leading people to believe and make a decision to send in clothes based on an estimate calculator - they provide - that they know isn't correct - is bait and switch. Cause they know no one would bother sending in clothes if they saw $.60 pop up (that's two quarters and a dime) .....so they conveniently don't fix/update that calculator to reflect their greedy new business plan and continue to stiff those providing their inventory every day. Making matters worse, they send you random "good news!" emails when an item you sent in is sold --- so you get to not only see that the item they paid you $.60 for was sold for $22 --- they remind you that you've already been paid for the item and won't be receiving more money. So why send that email? To let us see the profit you've made??? They're ridiculous.

Then - to add insult - if you go to complain on social media, they give a canned "oh no - sorry you're sad..." response....then they'll offer to have you contact CS so they can tell you what was wrong with your clothes to only pay you $.60.....the clothes that were apparently so crappy that you received two quarters and a dime for.....that they'll go sell for $22. That makes a lot of sense. So what's the deal - the clothes are soooo bad --- yet they sell them? They're either shafting the sellers by saying their clothes are so flawed they're only worth pennies --- or they're selling these flawed clothes to the public.....which doesn't seem to be the case since the buying experience seems to be relatively positive from what I've seen.

I only wish people would read the seller reviews/comments on here and other places before sending in their items.

Their business plan must include "If we can get people to just send in one bag each - even if they never use us again because of our shoddy business practices - we still have that inventory!!"

Give your clothes to a local charity & take the write off --- you'll make a heck of a lor more and feel better about yourself at the end of the day.

ThredUP? More like GreedUP --- I'll look forward to the day they're out of business - which will be sooner rather than later if they don't get it together.

karenb49
6/23/17

Do not sell to these people. My total was 75 cents too.lol A real nice Catalina bathing suit in a plus size. They used to be very good to deal with untill they had TV commercials.

barbarag105
6/23/17

I ordered an item that was listed on their website as my correct size. When I received it, the size was actually an XS. I returned the item and requested that they refund the cost of the item as well as my return postage and the postage I paid when I ordered the item. Since the wrong size was listed, the mistake was theirs. They refunded the price I paid for the item but refused refund the postage I paid. The item I purchased costs $7.80. I paid $8.75 in postage. So now, I am out $8.75 and have nothing!

My advice to anyone thinking about ordering from them to please read these reviews first. I really, really wish I had!!!

jenniferb310
6/23/17

Next time I'll give my clothes away. It took over 6 weeks to get my quote back . Than I sent 14 items and I got 10$ some of the items were brand new and brand name! Not even a dollar an item is bull.. wouldn't be sending anymore items

deborahg65
6/23/17

The only good reviews I found on this company were from people who purchased from them but... on the other side of the coin, if you send them your clothes (expensive clothes) you get nothing for them.

tinaa54
6/23/17

Wow! This is a scam! I sent in hundreds of new and washed like new baby clothes (3 bags stuffed full!) They keep what they want (which is fine) but pay out for upfront items (at who knows what rate). They then consign others (maybe). Problem is, they keep $9.99 off the top of your "upfront" payout (which is probably giving less than 10% of their list price). Okay, so $9.99 off the top seems okay. Except then they consign your items for WAY too much, and you can't edit the price lower on most so they don't sell (and they already kept your high price items for themselves). Then they give it 90 days I believe, at which time you can reclaim (25 pieces at a time) while paying for return shipping. If you don't want to pay, "it will become property of thredUP and will be responsibly recycled or sold at a later date." Therefore, they likely keep and sell your items at a discounted price. These are the items they actually tell you they consign. Who knows how much they keep that they don't tell you about! So, you end up doing tons of work sorting, washing, folding, and shipping your clothes in to make nothing for yourself but profit for a greedy company. Please donate your clothes to someone in need instead. Trust me you'll feel much better about it!! (And by the way, I had items with tags still attached that they supposedly didn't keep. In fact, they supposedly didn't keep anything from that ENTIRE bag. I call bull).

bg62
6/23/17

After waiting an inordinarily amount of time to have my clothing assessed, I was extremely disappointed. My clothes are all very expensive, gently worn clothes . Most are top designer brands. Out of 20 items only one was accepted for $30, if it sells. I asked for the items to be returned and they said I did not sign the initial agreement to send them back.They did not honor the time frame to assess the clothes. Do Not use this website. Give your unwanted clothes to a worthy cause ,not this money making phony operation. FED UP

tonyap10
6/22/17

I sent very high end clothing. Huge bag. Ralph Lauren with tags, Calvin Kline etc plus size clothing as I had lost weight. Truly nice items. After 2 months of wait time...38.00 received. I could have made that with one down vest I had sent in with tags...190.00 tag still on item. A rip off. I will never EVER send Thread up a thing.

Helpful answer

Do NOT do NOT do NOT give them your nice clothing. They will STEAL it from you. Things that warrant a good price tag should go to a consignment shop. Those you're willing to sell, use eBay, those you just want to "off load", donate to consignment yourself. You will feel better about it, I promise.

By C F. on 11/10/15
Helpful answer

I'd love to see a class action suit build against this company. I'm a young professional -- a lawyer, actually (unrelated practice area) -- who is shocked and disappointed by this company's conduct. They're taking advantage of a demographic they think won't speak up. Young women: raise your voices! After having my like-new Diane Von Furstenberg weekender bag disappear into this company, never to be seen again, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. One small step, but it's something! It takes 5 minutes. USE YOUR VOICE!

By Amy S. on 10/5/15
Helpful answer

Hi Wendy, If you have any specific items in mind it is best to contact support@thredup.com to get an estimate however we have this information posted in the link below: http://support.thredup.com/hc/en-us/articles/203415086-CONSIGNMENT-Everything-you-need-to-know- Essentially, items with a higher MSRP will offer a higher payout on resale. We are always happy to answer any questions that you may have if you reach out to support. We look forward to assisting you.

By James R. [thredUP Rep] on 10/15/15
Helpful answer

They sent me an email and put the money on my thred up account so I can buy something. I was do disgusted I gave up on the whole thing

By Lynne R. on 9/4/15
Helpful answer

Honestly this company is not choosing to accept a lot of product that could easily be listed. I have sent bags and bags, including valuable pieces.... cashmere sweaters, high end items of considerable retail cost and relatively recently produced. When questioned I am given the response that the items were not in as good a shape as they wanted them to be.. that their buyers should be able to buy perfect product. My take on this is ..... if it's a 200 dollar cashmere sweater and the purchase price is under 10 dollars, a few pills on the fabric should be a non issue!!!! Period. I question what is going on, frankly, as many do. Too much disappears with no explanation, many bags go into complete reject status. I genuinely am concerned that there is a story here and may become apparent after a while. Only time will tell.

By caroline g. on 9/26/15
Helpful answer

Not worth it unless you have stuff priced over $40 and can get 40%. There percentages are ridiculous for lower priced clothes. You can order return assurance for about $12 but be prepared to get a bag back with your items stuffed in like garbage. They do not even take the time to fold things nicely even though you pay for this service.

By Susan W. on 11/3/15
Helpful answer

Of course buyers are satisfied. They are getting other peoples' brand-name, like-new clothes that has been stolen by ThredUp. Buying from ThredUp just supports their dishonest and shady business practice.

By Allison F. on 5/20/15
Helpful answer

This company cannot be trusted...stay away. They are bad news.

By Suzanne S. on 6/9/13
Helpful answer

I almost always sell on eBay first. Then when I don't feel like hanging on to the clothes any more and just want my closet space back and they have been on eBay for months, I will send to thredUP. I don't even send in that high end of items and I will usually get $16 and up per bag. So to me, it's a last resort, but I usually can expect something even if it's a little. I LOVE thredUP for buying. Use their upfront calculator to see what items they take. They will say 50 cents to 1.00 per item so it is not hidden info. There is always the return option where you can get your entire bag back for $12.99 as well. Everyone who has nice stuff they'd want back should opt for this method always.

By S S. on 10/27/15
Helpful answer

Ditto above contact company direct, more than likely you will end up feeling ripped off. I stick with likewice.com for selling

By Shanda D. on 4/14/15
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other customers.

18 Photos for thredUP