Review of thredUP

San Francisco, CA 94104, United States
support@thredup.com

marym504
5/12/17

I use thredUP all the time to buy clothes. I think it is crazy how expensive clothes are these days ($70 for a pair of jeans?!?!?) and thredUP has been a great alternative. There are A LOT of options and if you are trying to be REALLY thrifty, the basement is a great place too. Shopping, ordering AND returning are all extremely easy.

My only complaint would be the payout for cleanout bags. After the fees etc. it barely amounts to anything. I have sent in several bags (i think about 4 at this point) and in all I've probably gotten about $40. My advice: Buy from here and don't spend ridiculous retail prices, and donate your used clothes - it's free and an easy way to unload a lot of goods!

carlaa21
5/12/17

This is my first and last time buying from thredup What a total rip off .Over priced items not worth the $$$ .Anyone reading this review stay away from thredup.

teresaw70
5/10/17

I ordered 88.00 in clothes from Thredup. I'm disabled and don't have much extra money. On top of it they were clothes for my nine year old son. I was a first time buyer so I received the 40% off. So I was able to get a lot of things. I was so happy. But for some reason my clothes keep getting sent to the wrong address. Not one address, but three wrong addresses. They split my order up into 5 shipments. One has gotten here. One pair of jeans. I'm in Winter Garden, FL. Two packages were sent to Davenport FL. Another to Pennsylvania. And another to California. They were rejected as wrong address and returned only to be sent out to the wrong address again! I've checked and rechecked and the address on my account is correct. I've emailed and all I get is the runaround. One said they would send the packages back out but they still went to the wrong address again!!! Customer service just repeats what I told them in my emails then tell me to contact them if I need anything. Again and again!!!. Fedex says they can't help me because the shipper has to fix the addresses. Thredup doesn't do anything. I've sent dozens of emails about this and haven't even gotten an apology! I found their number and called but you get an answering machine and they never call you back! I'm so frustrated I want to cry at this point!

latoyaw14
5/10/17

Thred up is a complete rip off I sent in 26 items of which 20 was accepted high quality item some of which still had tags and got referred as to being used we with some signs of wear which was never used or worn and their payout is horrible example my payout after paying to ship back 6 items was 47.25 minus the ship fee they sold 1 of my items for 40.99 they are a complete rip off I don't recommend sending them anything they don't even give you the option to accept or decline their buy they need to be stopped from being able to get peoples items and not pay them for it.. This is nothing less than online shoplifting

edinad
5/9/17

I used to be a huge fan of ThredUp and used it all the time.... Well that stopped after I got pennies for my last cleanout bag that contained skinny (not the bell bottom that thredup has so many of...) AG and Abercrombie jeans, CK dress.... good stuff but a size too big on me. And then I get e-mail after e-mail saying that my item has sold... Of course it was sold, it was amazing, except I feel like I've got cheated out of my clothes and got the middle finger in return as a payment. I just went to tjmaxx for the shopping trip I would have done at thredup, and the prices are better for NEW clothes! Whatever happened to this company? I will rather dump my stuff in a clothing donation container than fuel this nasty enterprise. I don't even want my stupid little 'balance', use it for a new CEO who can get you out of this mess.

ank229
5/8/17

A TOTAL RIP OFF. I SENT A BAG FULL OF CLOTHING, ALL IN EXCELLENT CONDITION, SOME WITH PRICE TAGS. THE TOTAL PAYOUT -$24, WHILE THEY SET RESALE PRICE OF $20-40 FOR EACH ITEM. SOME PIECES IN THE CONSIGNMENT EARN ONLY 5% IN CONSIGNMENT FEE! LOCAL STORES PAY 50-70%. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND USE EBAY AND GOODWILL. AVOID SCAM.

sarahb301
5/8/17

I love the ease of ordering but best of all I love that the selection constantly changes. I have found the staff to be quick to respond to inquiries and help when needed. I have been using Thredup for a few years now and can't imagine ever getting tired of it!

marsr
5/8/17

This site is horrible. I sold them my clothes, they took 4 items. Designer shoes, 2 pairs of Ann Taylor shorts, and a tank top from forever 21 with tags. All of the items sold for over $20 each within 15 days. They gave me a $2.63 payout, but ended up being $0.00 because of shipping costs. Soooooo dumb.

heatherf60
5/8/17

Bad experiences repeatedly, will never buy from again.

Inaccurate descriptions, with minimal details. I've received items that have been completely altered and nowhere in the description does it mention this. I've also received the wrong item, and extremely worn and old looking items that I overpaid for. The description claimed the articles were in better condition.

Also, don't sell to them. They pay a pittance to you.

allisong38
5/7/17

I don't use as often as I used to because they payout isn't as good and for purchases the prices are a bit high. I make out a lot better at the local semi annual consignment sale but at least Thread Up is convenient. I can get a little cash for clothes without a lot of effort on my part.

robinm125
5/7/17

I fully agree with the lady below ...on prices ..this has become overated and over priced for 2nd hand clothing.

They need to remember the PEOPLE WHO HAVE KEPT THERE SITE UP AND RUNNING !!! THE BUYERS & SELLERS
THREAD UP HAS BECOME SELFISH...

graziellab
5/6/17

I still buy from them frequently as I do find really good buys. But, lately the payout for the items I send in haven't been as much as they used to be. I still send in the same name-brand items, but like other reviewers have said, pay out has become pretty minimal. Pretty disappointed. I've been using them since 2014.

lesliel54
5/6/17

Worst on-line purchasing idea I've ever experienced. Prices for cruddy clothes are outrageous: I can find similar items at retailers for almost to the same price--or at Goodwill for 1/10 the price. Clothing overall is uninteresting, off-trend, poorly made, cheap, and low-end.
In addition, I tried the clean-out bag. My payout was $17.00 for a whole bag of top quality items. When I sold an item it was absolutely ludicrous. First, the amount they were charging was way too high for a used item. But more importantly, the consignment amount for me was insulting. For a scarf they sold for $12.96, I made $0.65. Come on people, don't insult my intelligence or wallet.
If you are interested in finding fun, interesting and well-priced items, take an hour or two out of your day (that you probably spent trying to find something worthwhile on thredup) and go to your local Goodwill--prices are fair and it supports a great cause.

Tip for consumers: Stay away and don't even think you'll get enough consignment to buy anything worthwhile.

susanj122
5/5/17

I ordered a pair of boots posted as size 8 1/2. When the boots arrived they were actually size 6 1/2. I chatted with a representative online and he said he would waive the $8.99 handling and processing fee they charge for returns. BUT he didn't waive it. This company has no phone number listed so a customer can phone and work out these issues. It appears this company is making money off of their mistakes. I was a first time shopper ....I won't be a second time shopper.
In the same order, I also received a very uncomfortable pair of shoes which will cost me to much money to return. I will take them to Goodwill instead and never trust Thread-up again.

giad18
Gia D.
5/5/17

I just signed up to check for women's clothes and shoes and to be honest, most of the stuff were not that cute and prices were not as inexpensive considering you still have to pay 5.99 for shipping unless you spend 79 dollars. I can shop at target, marshals, tj maxx or old navy and find better deals and new clothes and if i shop at target online i only need to spend 25 dollars to get free shipping. And I would definitely not send my used clothes to them. If anything I'd take them to my local consignment shop or give them to someone.

coletter2
5/5/17

Someone has gotten greedy! Started selling in 2014 through this site and I used to get $30-75 per bag. Awesome! The last 2 bags I sent them I got less than $5 per bag. Also, the bags used to be free and now they charge $10 per bag...you do the math. They will buy some items straight-out and credit your account (usually <$1.50 per item if you are lucky). The better items they sell on "Consignment" which means they DON'T credit your account until the item sells. So, what they are doing is hiking the price up (where no one wants to buy it) then they say that if the item doesn't sell in a certain amount of time they will keep the item and sell it at a later date. This means you get $0 for the item and they end-up getting money for it themselves when they take it off consignment. Shady-shady. Absolutely do not recommend this site. I would get a higher tax write-off by donating.

sarahb300
5/4/17

I waited over 2 months for them to look through my bag, and out of the hundreds of dollars worth of things, they offered me $43.00. Then, I had to wait 2 weeks for those items to sell! Total scam.

tinah87
5/4/17

I have been happy with everything I have purchased from Thred up. I don't have time to sell my used clothing nor do I want to. They are willing to go through my clothes, advertise my clothes and sell my clothes... yes, they deserve to be paid for that. I was just donating my items because I didn't want or have the time to sort it all. I am happy with anything I get.

ab4375
5/4/17

I tried Thredup recently because I had a friend who tried it and liked it. So I thought, well let's try it out. I make my first purchase and everything is great. It seems like I'm getting a good deal. Then I make a 2nd purchase, still seeming great. Then one day I'm on eBay and looking for a particular dress I wanted that I saw on ThredUp and wondered if I could find it cheaper (They were charging $30.00). Ebay had the same dress by a seller and they were selling it for $20.00. What kills me about this site is the comparison price. They are SO off! They claim this Lululemon bra that I wanted (charging $33.99) was originally $71.00 (we should all know comparison prices don't really matter on clothes because the second they're worn, the original value is gone, unless they're new and not 20 years old). This bra actually was only $58.00 when it was new. That's a difference of $13.00. They claimed it was 65% off of retail prices, which is not true. This is my biggest problem with ThredUp. The prices are false and they claim to be taking a percentage off of retail, but the original prices are skewed and some of the products are from the 90s. Thus leaving the buyer feeling like they received a good deal, but your not. My main point is check other websites before making a purchase with this site because you may find a better deal.

havaa
5/4/17

I sent a bag of mainly brand new never worn clothes that included some mid level brands like Talbots, Banana Republic etc and higher levels like Burberry, BCBG Max Azria, Miu Miu etc. Altogether about 30 items. I received $26.00 for some 16 items from the first grpup. None of the higher end brand new things were on the list of the accepted clothes. I find it very bizarre that the most valuable pieces would be discarded for donations?
I think it would be better to simply donate to the Salvation army for a tax credit
Never again

noellef3
5/4/17

I sent in 3 large bags of clothes full of Gymboree and Gap for kids, Banana Republic, Nordstroms, Gap etc. for women in good shape. I have received a payout of $10.83 on one, then subtract the $9.99 for the bag so a total of .83 cents! The second bag they paid out $5 and deducted the bag fee so for me $0.00, the third bag is still processing and not to be done until after June 1st, it was received around May 20th. They are not very smart in tracking your bag and what sells for what amount! From the $15.00 (initial payout) $0.00 out of pocket for them since they deducted the bag fee they have sold 4 items for over $40?????
They are SLOW and CHEAP! We have 8 kids so I have bought and sold at second hand stores for over 20 years I go to a local kids consignment store and because I have Gap and Gymboree I never walk away with less then $50 to spend at the store. This is a total scam! I would not recommend this to anyone! Find a local store, support a local person and AVOID THRED UP!

barbaraw137
5/3/17

I sent in a large bag of clothes and only 11 items were accepted. I know without a doubt in my mind that there were several items in the bag that were either brand new or almost new.

gretchenh9
5/3/17

Customer service is horrid!!! I placed an order for an item, was sent someone else's order. I returned it with the label they provided me but never received the item I ordered. ThredUp received the item I ordered back but instead of sending it to me they refunded the price I paid less shipping!! I wanted the item and I certainly do not want to pay shipping for something I never received! A nightmare trying to communicate through email and it has now been a month of emails with absolutely no satisfactory result!!

lindas402
5/2/17

I ordered 3 pairs of jeans. I paid $5.99 to order them, and $9.45 to return them because none of them fit. So I am out over $15 for nothing.

jodeer
5/1/17

If you only prefer to shop consignment online, this site is great. I prefer to try items on and see them in person. The pictures on this site are not that great, and not helpful for me...I have had to return several items that did not appear like the pictures. I also feel shipping is expensive and slow. I have always had good customer service, I also appreciate the honesty in item descriptions and you can often find a good deal.

Helpful answer

Do NOT do NOT do NOT give them your nice clothing. They will STEAL it from you. Things that warrant a good price tag should go to a consignment shop. Those you're willing to sell, use eBay, those you just want to "off load", donate to consignment yourself. You will feel better about it, I promise.

By C F. on 11/10/15
Helpful answer

I'd love to see a class action suit build against this company. I'm a young professional -- a lawyer, actually (unrelated practice area) -- who is shocked and disappointed by this company's conduct. They're taking advantage of a demographic they think won't speak up. Young women: raise your voices! After having my like-new Diane Von Furstenberg weekender bag disappear into this company, never to be seen again, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. One small step, but it's something! It takes 5 minutes. USE YOUR VOICE!

By Amy S. on 10/5/15
Helpful answer

Hi Wendy, If you have any specific items in mind it is best to contact support@thredup.com to get an estimate however we have this information posted in the link below: http://support.thredup.com/hc/en-us/articles/203415086-CONSIGNMENT-Everything-you-need-to-know- Essentially, items with a higher MSRP will offer a higher payout on resale. We are always happy to answer any questions that you may have if you reach out to support. We look forward to assisting you.

By James R. [thredUP Rep] on 10/15/15
Helpful answer

They sent me an email and put the money on my thred up account so I can buy something. I was do disgusted I gave up on the whole thing

By Lynne R. on 9/4/15
Helpful answer

Honestly this company is not choosing to accept a lot of product that could easily be listed. I have sent bags and bags, including valuable pieces.... cashmere sweaters, high end items of considerable retail cost and relatively recently produced. When questioned I am given the response that the items were not in as good a shape as they wanted them to be.. that their buyers should be able to buy perfect product. My take on this is ..... if it's a 200 dollar cashmere sweater and the purchase price is under 10 dollars, a few pills on the fabric should be a non issue!!!! Period. I question what is going on, frankly, as many do. Too much disappears with no explanation, many bags go into complete reject status. I genuinely am concerned that there is a story here and may become apparent after a while. Only time will tell.

By caroline g. on 9/26/15
Helpful answer

Not worth it unless you have stuff priced over $40 and can get 40%. There percentages are ridiculous for lower priced clothes. You can order return assurance for about $12 but be prepared to get a bag back with your items stuffed in like garbage. They do not even take the time to fold things nicely even though you pay for this service.

By Susan W. on 11/3/15
Helpful answer

Of course buyers are satisfied. They are getting other peoples' brand-name, like-new clothes that has been stolen by ThredUp. Buying from ThredUp just supports their dishonest and shady business practice.

By Allison F. on 5/20/15
Helpful answer

This company cannot be trusted...stay away. They are bad news.

By Suzanne S. on 6/9/13
Helpful answer

I almost always sell on eBay first. Then when I don't feel like hanging on to the clothes any more and just want my closet space back and they have been on eBay for months, I will send to thredUP. I don't even send in that high end of items and I will usually get $16 and up per bag. So to me, it's a last resort, but I usually can expect something even if it's a little. I LOVE thredUP for buying. Use their upfront calculator to see what items they take. They will say 50 cents to 1.00 per item so it is not hidden info. There is always the return option where you can get your entire bag back for $12.99 as well. Everyone who has nice stuff they'd want back should opt for this method always.

By S S. on 10/27/15
Helpful answer

Ditto above contact company direct, more than likely you will end up feeling ripped off. I stick with likewice.com for selling

By Shanda D. on 4/14/15
Questions? Get answers from the thredUP staff and other customers.

18 Photos for thredUP