US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

rebekahd4
6/6/16

I can't work on a single job because I don't have the necessary qualifications, but when I request the qualifications I keep getting rejected because I don't have any work minutes built up (what do you know, because I don't have the qualifications). This is a vicious circle and a farce that I can't earn a single penny from. Avoid this website like the plague.

rachaelp10
5/14/16

Finding Speechpad has given me a chance to work from home at my own pace, on my own schedule. Day or night, long or short, transcription or review, I choose what I want to work on when and for how long. I have serious health issues that prevent me from working. With Speechpad I can work when I am able with no recriminations if I have to take a few days off or if I have to ask for a time extension because I have to go a little slower.

Of course you have jobs that are rejected, it goes with the territory. No one is perfect no matter how long they've been transcribing. But I always get a chance to rework a job, usually it's something simple. If the problem is something the reviewer can pick up, I lose a few points for that job, but I've never found the corrections to be unnecessary. Usually it's because I wasn't paying attention to speaker tokens or guideline rules (particularly the "clean verbatim"). My bad!

One last observation: you are not going to make the same amount of money you would if you had an hourly job. This type of work is based on quality and quantity. You have a certain amount of time to complete a job and a posted amount paid on approval. This is the sacrifice we make working at home. I have awesome skills (I've been work for 38 years so I've earned bragging rights!) -- but they are worth NOTHING if I can't work. Speechpad has give me that work and a chance for income where I had none.

The staff are awesome. I usually have an answer within 45 to 60 minutes. They are helpful, professional, and always friendly and there to offer help. No matter if my question is important or if I just want to whine about a particularly difficult job (admit it, we all whine occasionally!), they always answer and treat me with respect. I've worked several online transcription opportunities. Speechpad has proven to be the most professional by far.

greggg10
5/13/16

I have been working with Speechpad for a few years now and my experience with them has been entirely positive. Any issues I've ever encountered with deadlines/time limits, the rare system glitch here or there, or difficulty with files (either being more intensive than anticipated, missing portions of transcription, or format questions) have been addressed fairly and efficiently.

I've never had any problems with receiving payment. On one isolated occasion, a file I submitted somehow was also submitted by someone else...don't ask me how. I was accorded the benefit of the doubt and paid nonetheless. Similarly, on the rare jobs when my own computer problems or other personal issues have necessitated a longer-than-usual period of time in which to complete a file, I'm pleased to say the staff at Speechpad have always worked with me to enable completion of the file.

Many of these critical reviews seem like sour grapes to me. Speechpad requires accuracy and consistency. From what I have seen from a handful of the files I've reviewed, those requirements are often ignored (along with obvious instructions in the Style Guide). If the work's not up to par, obviously that's going to be reflected in a less than pleasant experience. Doing solid work, on the other hand, should result in a strong relationship with Speechpad.

My main advice: communicate. If there is an issue, email the staff at Speechpad. Jill, Krystal, and everyone else I've dealt with have always addressed my issues/problems/concerns/questions honestly and without delay. It's hard for me to believe that many of the situations described here couldn't have been resolved -- or at least improved -- by contacting the company for help and guidance.

matthewm114
5/13/16

I should start by mentioning that I had done a lot of research into the notion of working from home before finally finding Speechpad (well, before my fiance found it for me, that is - credit where credit is due, right?) I couldn't even get past the test file at Rev. Mind you, transcription is nothing new. I've been transcribing for many years and have had clients varying from doctors and lawyers right down to college professors wanting their lectures typed out. I've worked in-house, from home, as employee, as contractor, and as freelancer. Most every other site I've been to for transcription has been, at best, a poor choice to fall back on. Most either maintain an impossible expectation of an adherence to their standards (which can often be contradictive of themselves,) or simply don't pay well enough to fathom undertaking such jobs - like 7 cents an audio hour unless your grade scores at or above a level 7 on their scale, then it's 12 cents an audio hour and you get a 3% bonus if it's done in x amount of time and... wait, what? No. Speechpad is simple and straight forward - You know what the job pays and how long the audio is. And if you click on the sample audio icon, you even get a feel for what that job is going to sound like. If it ends up being too much, you return it with no penalty (other than not being able to work on it again, but someone's going to grab it before you would have been back to it anyway.)
Payment is via PayPal and is always on time (sometimes even early.) It's fair compensation for the jobs provided and often even better than fair (have seen and worked jobs at $0.60 per audio minute and $0.75 per audio minute.) Just this last weekend I pulled a job that was one hour twenty-one minutes long and paid $49.03. The audio was clean, the review was fair (below the threshold even, but I was expecting that as I was seeing double near the end - I accepted it at midnight, worked it through 5AM, requested the extension I knew I'd need, took a nap, woke up, woke up, and polished it off with time to spare.)
Regarding the complaints about reviewers I keep seeing on these review sites - Let me put it in perspective for you: They are users just like you. They strived and toiled to get and keep their rating up, worked on and with the stie for a good time, had all the same hiccups each of us have at one point or another, and then refined their skills to a point that the Speechpad team felt they were qualified. They're still human. This is still spoken word being recorded as written word. This still leaves much to interpretation. Regardless, the staff has always taken the time to address any issues I just couldn't let slide and either explained where I went wrong or explained where a reviewer might have gone wrong and then adjusted the score accordingly.
There's a "Send Feedback" button at the top of the site - use it, it is your friend.
Now, mind you, if you turn in subpar work, don't expect employment and payment on par. But this is no different than with any other employer or freelance type project out there.

helena133
5/12/16

I have found online transcribing with Speechpad to be a great way to make some extra money. The staff are friendly, helpful and extremely prompt in responding to queries or bona fide requests for support. They appreciate efforts to deliver high quality work and will give more time if the request is genuine. It is not easy in the beginning, persistance and humility are useful, as their standard is extremely high. I am happy to have found this online freelance opportunity and am working hard to meet the high expectations, which no doubt make for happy customers on the other end.

sarahc178
5/12/16

I found Speechpad at a time when I was submitting resumes and looking for supplemental work. The first month is difficult because you're basically training and learning their particular style guide. They are always available to help when you're confused. I've always been paid on time for all of my work. I look up terminology that I'm not familiar with and I run spell check when I'm done. I can make over $500 weekly. I was able to do that about three months after I started. You don't have any work requirements and you can work from anywhere.

elainef12
5/12/16

I have never had a problem with getting paid or receiving answers to any questions that I've had. I have worked as an independent transcriber for going on six years now and exclusively work with this company. Most other companies have either paid on a monthly basis or late. There is ample opportunity to work up and really start from the bottom. That takes a bit of work, but you will get feedback and answers to any questions you may have.

colettec4
5/12/16

I joined Speechpad last year while trying to find an income around my busy family's life. With having young children, especially one with special needs, it was a terrific option for me. You simply have to choose a job, when you have time available, and finish it. If you have any problems or questions, you can send an email to the support team and they are fantastic to help. They were very helpful with me in coaching and providing tips when I would reach out to them. I have been telling my other friends and family about this site because I think it's a fantastic option for freelancers.

Tip for consumers: I do advise that if you don't have a fast typing speed to brush up before starting to work, as this can be very helpful in giving you more "bang for your buck" when trying to do your jobs in a timely manner. Also, they have wonderful style guides to access while you're working if you need to refresh your memory on how the job should be done, because different jobs have different requirements sometimes, depending on the client's needs.

micahp6
3/9/16

I've been working for Speechpad for the past few months. First as a transcriber and now more as a reviewer. It is true that you occasionally get a poor quality audio file, and even poorer transcripts, but I haven't had any issues with the way I was treated. If I ever had an issue with something, they were very quick to respond and resolve anything that came up.

It sounds like the majority of people who have bad reviews about Speechpad simply are not patient enough to persevere through the rough patches. It is a little hard starting out, and sometimes the pay isn't as good as you would like, but once you get the hang of it, it's definitely worth it in the long run!

jennifert80
1/17/16

This is not a complaint about Speechpad. This is a complaint about some of the cheating clients that use Speechpad to handle transcriptions for them. So I guess this is going to be the new trend, clients speeding up the audio before handing it over to a transcription company so the client pays less for more words?
I recently did an audio for transcription on Speechpad that was so very obviously sped up to decrease the minutes of audio. The total minutes were compressed into about 30 minutes instead of probably closer to an hour or more that it was originally before being sped up. The guy sounded like a squeak toy. Well, not exactly. But I decreased the speed to about 75%, the voice and pace sounded much more normal. Decreasing the speed was the only way I could catch what this $^@^ was saying. This kind of frustrated me. As a transcriber you get paid per audio minute not by amount of words. Maybe transcription companies should start charging per word instead of per minute. I really hope someone from Speechpad reads this and starts being pro-active about this issue. For transcribers, beware and don't transcribe something that sounds like it has been sped up. This will probably be happening more and more.

josw1
12/17/15

I did a few jobs for them, using their General Transcription Guide and all were accepted with a 94-96 rating. Good deal. Then I did one where I followed the EXACT same guide.. whoever reviewed my work decided it was not right and altered small things that weren't in the guide. I received a 40 on that one job causing my overall total to drop to an 80 something. Now I am unable to qualify for any jobs to bring it up or make any money. From what I understand, they have other workers doing the reviewing. It's kind of up to whoever is doing the review. Displeased for sure and think Mturk should stop this partnership.

surajs5
3/30/15

I am into transcription for more than 15 years now. I've been associated with Speechpad for six months now. I started working as a freelancer for Speechpad 'coz I needed some extra bucks. But I loved the freedom and flexibility so much that now I've taken it up as my priority job. I really can't find words to explain how much I love it.

Transcribers, if you're looking for a flexible, rewarding job, come join Speechpad.

Thank you Speechpad for this exciting, enjoyable job opportunity.

davidm207
7/30/14

My video transcript was littered with very obvious mistakes. Clearly they just ran it though some software without any human intervention. All USA spelling despite being a uk customer too. Avoid.

gracet17
7/24/14

I have used this site to transcribe interviews for data analysis. They have been on-time and reliable. When I had questions before choosing them, the customer service replied right away and they were very helpful! I've had 13 files transcribed and one of them was supposed to have time codes, but didn't. Customer service was great and had it fixed within a day.

Super great to work with and saved me so much time.

neilt7
6/18/13

Speech Pad Review

If you are anything like me, you have finally mastered the art of creating rich, valuable videos for your site. After much effort, you have accurate, reliable information readily available for your viewers. However, you may have noticed that your traffic has not yet increased. How can you make sure the public is finding your website and watching your podcasts? The answer is simple: SEO. Now, even if you don’t fully understand SEO tactics, the most fundamental thing to know is that search engines rely on text to bring up your site and videos. So, in other words, if you only have videos and no text, no one is ever going to find you.

That is where Speechpad comes in. I have used this service more than once, and I cannot begin to tell you how much time it has saved me. Speechpad reviews material with rates as low as $1 per minute in file length, this voice transcription service definitely falls into my budget. Speechpad works with professional transcribers, both human and automated, to provide accurate transcripts of your videos so that Google and other search engines can find you. The Speechpad review is a text to speech service that provides accurate content in a timely manner; in fact, the rates are set on the time you specify. For instance, if you are in a hurry to get a piece of text up and running, the price may be a little higher but for people like me, I would rather wait an extra day or two to save a couple bucks. I don’t think the SpeechInk review offers that. Regardless of the price, you simply cannot beat Speechpad’s reliable transcription service.

In reading other Speechpad reviews and SpeechInk reviews, I’m thoroughly impressed with what I’ve gotten back from Speechpad each time and don’t think I’ll be making a change now that I have a smooth running system in place.

26 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Speechpad staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
13 hours ago
Answer
jillf13
A: Our foot pedal software is built-in. Simply download it and your foot pedal is ready to use. Be sure you do not have Word open or Express Scribe. Please email us at worker@speechpad.com if you have any questions.
9 hours ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
6 days ago
Answer
jillf13
A: You can search Google for exams for practicing transcription.
9 hours ago