US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

elleng14

I was very pleased with the dvd's they created from my vhs tapes of my son's childhood . (in 30 reviews)

edb21

I was most impressed by the customer service whereby they let me know what they were doing each step of the way. (in 21 reviews)

georgiap4

I got a Groupon for Southtree and decided it was time to make this happen. (in 42 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

mikek115
7/24/16

I recently bought some groupons for Southtree. They save about 70% over retail Southtree prices. Their service and shipping was excellent and fast. I had the dvds and original films back in less than 3 weeks. I had about 1200' of 8mm and 120 35mm slides converted to DVD. When I first viewed the DVD I thought Southtree had neglected to properly focus their equipment. BUT, I was viewing it on a 4k 65" Samsung. I was so convinced it was not focused right, I got out my old projector and then played the original 8mm film. Turns out it was focused properly, but you just can't get that much data onto 8mm film. When I was watching on TV it was being enlarge at about 200x. The 35mm slides were pretty good, but I didn't think they were as good as what I can do with my Minolta Dimage IV slide scanner. I was correct. .I rescanned 4 of the 35mm slides I sent to them, and my images came out sharper and with better color than what Southtree delivered. But for someone that doesn't have a $600 slide scanner, southtree is a very good value (if using groupon). There are other companies that might produce a slightly better scan, but you will probably pay twice as much. BTW- I had southtree scan the slides because after I had all of my 8mm scanned, I still had value left on the groupon. I will scan the rest of my slides myself. In a nutshell, Southtree is a very good value if you have old films or slides and don't have the equipment or expertise to do it yourself. I have included 2 images. The more yellowish one is a full res closeup from Southtree. The other is a full res from my scanner. Even though southtree scanns at a higher resolution, my scan came out more clear.

Tip for consumers: look for groupon coupons.

walterz
7/19/16

They had one mistake on a transfer to DVD by not rewinding the tape before copying.but they were quick to resolve the issue and did an extra tape free of charge and waiving the shipping charges. They were quick to respond and I would recommend them without reserve.

crystalr26
7/17/16

I trusted them with the most precious videos I had. I laughed, cried and laughed even more! I watched people who are no longer with us and relived memories from 19 years ago. I can't thank you enough!

queens11
6/15/16

Kelly, the supervisor does not like African American or black people! I was laid off for no reason at all! I was on time from breaks and on time to work everyday. Kelly told the temp service I worked for that I was not a "team player!" If you are looking for employment there, you must look like you are an ad for ambercrombie and Fitch or gap. If not, you will be judged by your appearance and she will fire you for he say/she say. What a terrible experience!

jenniferm227
6/14/16

I was extremely pleased with my order. They are very good at emailing updates on every step of the procedure. Which I appreciated. We have been watching our DVDs with joy! Weddings, baptism, Christmas, our son's sporting events of hockey, going away party. These are our memories that were lost to us. I'm very happy with Southtree's work. There is one thing I would have done differently. I wish we could have reviewed to VHS tapes to know exactly what was there. But we couldn't. Southtree did excellent work with what hey were given.

peterj113
6/10/16

Photos and videos are priceless memories of our lives. Southtree made it possible not only to relive those memories but preserve them very well as well. The conversions from VHS to digital and audio cassette tape to digital were high quality; the videos did not show the usual signs of aging, and the music were as crisp as yesteryears'. They also keep you up to date as to the progress of your project and they do so interestingly, humorously and consistently. Southtree actually missed to convert two of the most important VHS tapes so I sent them back for conversion and they did so with no additional fee including shipping back and forth. I am very pleased with Southtree's service and will definitely strongly consider Southtree again once I have my hands on my trunkload of old photos, videos and music.

normh3
6/2/16

I was very pleased with the results I received from Southtree. I had about 40 old tapes of various formats. I was expecting 40 seperate CDs but was pleasantely surprised when they were delivered to me on one thumb drive. Awesome !!!!!!!!!! I am sending more to be digitized. It is the only way to go.

ninjl
6/1/16

Very disappointed to learn ... too late ... that the ONLY CD size they have is 30 mins. They put one 45-minute lecture on 2 CDs ... Ridiculous. I sent a letter to Nick Macco, the owner/president and received a reply back how happy they all were to hear how pleased I was with Southtree!!! Even tho' I gave them a list of the titles for the CDs (at their suggestion), they ignored it.

In their favor, the $5 fee was great and I received the CDs back in only 10 days, so my overall rating is 2 stars.

I discovered that some camera shops do the same service... and some will negotiate the price if you have multiple tapes.

dh253
5/23/16

Have only watched a few of discs but was very happy to watch and reminisce. Have recommended to a few others. Thanks again.

nicoleh62
5/10/16

After reading the negative reviews, I was scared to send my tapes to them, but I had no issues at all and my tapes all came back. The discs are perfect and I am very pleased.

louanng
5/5/16

I only gave them 1 star because that was the lowest I could select! I sent in 19 tapes. I got 15 back. One CD was so bad I couldn't watch it, the even cut out most of the music that was on it. Other CD's were duplicates. They also had some video that was copied over other video. They were grainy, and poorly copied. Its not as if these were 20 years old or more. Some were only 5 years old. They also sent me back VHS tapes that they claimed were blank when I know for a fact that I did not send them blank tapes. I am assuming they erased them by mistake. I filed a dispute with my credit card company for the full amount. Please don't fall for their special offers of $5.00 a tape...its not worth a penny! I am now out $82.00 as well as video they erased! I sent them to the company via USPS and they got them in 3 days. They shipped them back to me via Fed ex which was then transferred to USPS, It took over a week for me to get them back once they were sent.

laurap90
4/12/16

I had about 4-5 VHS tapes converted to DVD. They came back labeled and dated and they also returned my original materials, though it was not expected. They also sent me emails along the way to let me know how it was progressing. If I ever have to use them again, I would be happy to.

marthac50
4/12/16

Great service. Keeps you up to date on progress. Good quality. Had pictures converted to digital, movies to digital and cassette tapes recorded to digital. Thank you Southtree for allowing me to keep those memories.

lainew1
4/11/16

I sent in tapes from our once in a lifetime trip, an African Safari. I got updates by tracking my package. They were sent to me by FD EX and then turned over to the US postal service. When reading policy, it says that they will be sent to me by their choice of delivery. I'm not sure why it didn't come to the house by FD EX. They got lost once they were turned over to the postal service. This happened in January and are just now offering to refund me...we will see. VERY poor customer service!!

jimp86
3/23/16

I had less than 5" reels / tapes of recordings that went back to 1967. I was on the DMZ in Korea and my parents talked to me via the recording and my Father sang a song. I was very impressed at the quality of the CD provided by Southtree. I appreciate the memories. J

sallym46
3/22/16

I was kept informed of each step in the process. Any questions were promptly answered. They cleaned slides that had been in storage for over thirty years

dickieb1
3/20/16

The quality was awful. Most of the film is so dark you can't tell who it is. It's like they used vcr's from the 80's to copy the tapes.
Communication was not the best.
Not recommended.

Ask $#*!ie about Southtree
kathrynk16
3/10/16

While the work was adequate, their information is terrible. I had Super 8 movies that I wanted on dvd. I never imagined that they wouldn't add the sound! It was only after I got the dvd and found no sound that I went searching on the help site. They answer one question "Can you capture sound from film?" Since I KNOW you can I never read that question. Shame on me. Here's their answer:
Sound on film reels are rare and at this time, we are no longer able to process the audio line with film reels. Less than 1% of film reels had a sound line, even fewer movie cameras recorded on this line, and at this time we are no longer able to source a film unit from our vendors that can digitize this part. We are able to digitize film reels and create great video files for you to enjoy.
If I had seen this I never would have used this company and would have gone to one of the MANY companies that do digitize the sound. I will now have to purchase the same service from a competent company and be forced to pay for the service twice. This is not good business!!

krisk32
3/4/16

This company promised to handle my media with care and professionalism. I sent them more than 500 slides and after a surprisingly short time, my slides were returned to me with an enclosed cd supposedly containing my converted media. I placed the cd in my laptop and discovered that they had sent me the converted pictures of someone else's media. This means that they are processing the media of more than one client in a common area. I contacted them via "chat" (the only offered option other than email) and they refused to talk to me on the phone, claiming their phone lines were down. They offered me no restitution other than "send your slides back and we will process them again in two weeks. It has been well over two weeks now and still no slides.... I am very dissatisfied with the lack of professionalism demonstrated by this company. I trusted them with decades of memories and they have acted irresponsibly. I have yet to receive my converted media and original slides.

lyndab14
3/4/16

I responded to a facebook post with a "deal" about getting videotapes transferred to disk.

Gather a bunch of ten to send in at Christmas and shipped ... got confirmation on January 2nd that they had been received, then another update and then an update on January 25th that my items were being "sorted" ... and then the updates stopped and I contacted via chat today Southtree (because they were not taking customer phone calls) to get an update since it has been over two months. I was first told that my videotapes had been converted and were being uploaded to thumb drives. Ay nd we went back and forth and I was told that the original estimate of 6-8 weeks is just that an estimate and that they would see what they could do to get me out of production sooner. And that there was an update posted to my account yesterday (but I got no email) ... with a status. I have no idea when I will be getting my items but I feel like I have just gotten a heapload of bs ... here's hoping that the quality is at least reasonable. I'm feeling really dumb for having trusted this vendor!

Tip for consumers: WATCH OUT!!

martinac2
3/1/16

I have only good things to say about Southtree. They have excellent customer service and they produce a great product.

100% recommend!

susanh155
2/25/16

I ordered the collection package through a Living Social deal. Received the box to send my tapes to be converted within tge two weeks as promosed. Put the labels on each movie as instructed and carefully packaged them in the box. Put the return label on the box and gave it to my post office. This was on December 14. The post office gave it to FedEx smartpost on December 16 and my package has disappeared. These were my grandfather's home movies from the 1960s that were kept in climate controlled safe condition for iver 50 years. Now they are gone.

dianeb79
2/23/16

My order took 2 months to arrive. One of the 3 VHS tapes of my 3 children's weddings was missing. No DVD for it or the thumb drive that I had paid for. No invoice!!! I so wish I had read other reviews before hand. I've been told by Southtree that they are looking for my lost tape, but they have so many others that they've lost of others......this is just so wrong! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO ANYONE!!!

jonis8
2/22/16

I'm so happy with Southtree's service of converting my treasured VHS library to DVDs and flash drive. They communicated with me every step of the way and they delivered exactly as promised. It's a relief to have this taken care of and to know our memories are safely preserved!

ellenm36
2/16/16

They lost a bunch of my pictures and after a few emails, they are no longer replying. If you value your photos, take them somewhere else.

Tip for consumers: Do not use this site!

25 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Southtree staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question