US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

barryt15
9/23/16

Boy, am I glad I read the reviews on your service. I have camcorder tapes of my family I wanted to have converted to dvd's. You LOST picture and video memories of family that CANNOT be replaced!! SHAME on you for continuing to advertise your services.

kristig6
8/25/16

I heard about Southtree through Groupon and jumped all over the opportunity because I had been wanting to convert our 3mm tapes for years. We could not watch any of our videos because our video recorder broke and I don't even think they make that type anymore. Using Southtree was so easy! Their website walks you clearly through all your options and makes it so easy to just package everything up and send it off. And I forgot that I get all my originals back too, which is great "just in case". I received my DVDs back sooner than I thought and just before Christmas. They look great and the cost was definitely reasonable. Years after taking these videos, this past Christmas was filled with so much laughter as we sat around watching videos of the kids when they were young!! We were in tears! So pleased!

leeh83
8/24/16

Don't hesitate to send your memories to this company . I have to admit I was. So the first time I sent only three and was very pleased . The second time I sent 10 without hesitation and again pleased. I was kept informed from the day they received them to the day they were shipped back to me.
Thank you south tree for the memories I thought were lost forever

amilynns
8/24/16

I cannot praise this company enough! I had several videos of my parents to distribute to my siblings. I tried to make copies at home, but the experience was way too painful. I wanted a company who would treat my family keepsakes like they were their own and that's what I found with Southtree. Yes, I was worried sending my videos and a audio recording and some slides that we couldn't view. I didn't want to send these precious items to different companies and then have to struggle to remember where and whom. Southtree did it all, VHS, audio, slides and more. All converted to digital on disc and a jump drive. Easy peasy.

kathym108
8/12/16

I can't say enough about this company. From the time they got my order until the time I got the finished product, they kept me informed as to the progress. It was a little scary sending all your memories across country but they kept me updated during the whole process.I dio have a potential problem which needs time to verify, but the customer service department assured me that if there is a problem, they would take care of it whenever I find the time to watch everything. My next order is already there, and I know this because they e-mailed me when they received it! Highly Recommend!!!!

johnj305
8/7/16

I am a big fan of Southtree transfer services. They have earned my confidence and respect by the way they care for their customers and the quality of the final product. I dont even mind that Im forever embarrassing myself on these old tapes; I feel good about Southtree and I do recommend them often. For comparison let me share my previous experience with a video transfer service that made me leery to repeat the process until Southtrees customer reviews convinced me to take another chance.

More than a few years back, I had one of my videos transferred onto a dvd by a service provided through a local drugstore. The process was long, and I was kept in the dark throughout the entire processI was not sure if my tape was lost or in a techs hands. My original video tape had a short blank spot followed by at least 30 minutes of additional footage. The service I used did not include this extra time on my dvd and cut the transfer as soon as it recognized a blank spot, there was no human involvement. I didnt feel this service cared one way or the other if they lost my video and didnt bother reaching out to me with my complaint.
To date I have had four orders of multi tape shipments transferred onto dvd by Southtree. First of all, they ask you to post onto their fb page what you are sending and they respond! Then every step of the way they email you about your material and inform you which part of production it is in. Then after shipment you immediately have a tracking number. They have great prices (many sales!) and they offer a variety of upgrades. Southtree amaze me on how fast they are able to process my orders. Soon I will be moving along to preserving my photographs.
As Im getting older, and there is not always a tomorrowIm happy to have found a service that I trust and finally get this long wanted process completed.

debbiem92
8/2/16

Was hesitant to ship all my unreplaceable VHS tapes but knew would have to have converted to DVD. Southtree was in touch via email from the day they received them. Kept us in the loop all the way thru the process. We got the DVD's back sooner than expected. Great job. Would recommend them to anyone in need of this type of service. Getting more VHS stuff together to send off. You won't regret using their services.

nancys164
8/2/16

I am very satisfied with the DVD's made from old VHS tapes. Southtree kept me updated on the status from their receiving the VHS tapes to shipping and all steps in between. Peace of mind. Highly recommend Southtree.

mikek115
7/24/16

I recently bought some groupons for Southtree. They save about 70% over retail Southtree prices. Their service and shipping was excellent and fast. I had the dvds and original films back in less than 3 weeks. I had about 1200' of 8mm and 120 35mm slides converted to DVD. When I first viewed the DVD I thought Southtree had neglected to properly focus their equipment. BUT, I was viewing it on a 4k 65" Samsung. I was so convinced it was not focused right, I got out my old projector and then played the original 8mm film. Turns out it was focused properly, but you just can't get that much data onto 8mm film. When I was watching on TV it was being enlarge at about 200x. The 35mm slides were pretty good, but I didn't think they were as good as what I can do with my Minolta Dimage IV slide scanner. I was correct. .I rescanned 4 of the 35mm slides I sent to them, and my images came out sharper and with better color than what Southtree delivered. But for someone that doesn't have a $600 slide scanner, southtree is a very good value (if using groupon). There are other companies that might produce a slightly better scan, but you will probably pay twice as much. BTW- I had southtree scan the slides because after I had all of my 8mm scanned, I still had value left on the groupon. I will scan the rest of my slides myself. In a nutshell, Southtree is a very good value if you have old films or slides and don't have the equipment or expertise to do it yourself. I have included 2 images. The more yellowish one is a full res closeup from Southtree. The other is a full res from my scanner. Even though southtree scanns at a higher resolution, my scan came out more clear.

Tip for consumers: look for groupon coupons.

walterz
7/19/16

They had one mistake on a transfer to DVD by not rewinding the tape before copying.but they were quick to resolve the issue and did an extra tape free of charge and waiving the shipping charges. They were quick to respond and I would recommend them without reserve.

crystalr26
7/17/16

I trusted them with the most precious videos I had. I laughed, cried and laughed even more! I watched people who are no longer with us and relived memories from 19 years ago. I can't thank you enough!

queens11
6/15/16

Kelly, the supervisor does not like African American or black people! I was laid off for no reason at all! I was on time from breaks and on time to work everyday. Kelly told the temp service I worked for that I was not a "team player!" If you are looking for employment there, you must look like you are an ad for ambercrombie and Fitch or gap. If not, you will be judged by your appearance and she will fire you for he say/she say. What a terrible experience!

jenniferm227
6/14/16

I was extremely pleased with my order. They are very good at emailing updates on every step of the procedure. Which I appreciated. We have been watching our DVDs with joy! Weddings, baptism, Christmas, our son's sporting events of hockey, going away party. These are our memories that were lost to us. I'm very happy with Southtree's work. There is one thing I would have done differently. I wish we could have reviewed to VHS tapes to know exactly what was there. But we couldn't. Southtree did excellent work with what hey were given.

peterj113
6/10/16

Photos and videos are priceless memories of our lives. Southtree made it possible not only to relive those memories but preserve them very well as well. The conversions from VHS to digital and audio cassette tape to digital were high quality; the videos did not show the usual signs of aging, and the music were as crisp as yesteryears'. They also keep you up to date as to the progress of your project and they do so interestingly, humorously and consistently. Southtree actually missed to convert two of the most important VHS tapes so I sent them back for conversion and they did so with no additional fee including shipping back and forth. I am very pleased with Southtree's service and will definitely strongly consider Southtree again once I have my hands on my trunkload of old photos, videos and music.

normh3
6/2/16

I was very pleased with the results I received from Southtree. I had about 40 old tapes of various formats. I was expecting 40 seperate CDs but was pleasantely surprised when they were delivered to me on one thumb drive. Awesome !!!!!!!!!! I am sending more to be digitized. It is the only way to go.

ninjl
6/1/16

Very disappointed to learn ... too late ... that the ONLY CD size they have is 30 mins. They put one 45-minute lecture on 2 CDs ... Ridiculous. I sent a letter to Nick Macco, the owner/president and received a reply back how happy they all were to hear how pleased I was with Southtree!!! Even tho' I gave them a list of the titles for the CDs (at their suggestion), they ignored it.

In their favor, the $5 fee was great and I received the CDs back in only 10 days, so my overall rating is 2 stars.

I discovered that some camera shops do the same service... and some will negotiate the price if you have multiple tapes.

dh253
5/23/16

Have only watched a few of discs but was very happy to watch and reminisce. Have recommended to a few others. Thanks again.

nicoleh62
5/10/16

After reading the negative reviews, I was scared to send my tapes to them, but I had no issues at all and my tapes all came back. The discs are perfect and I am very pleased.

louanng
5/5/16

I only gave them 1 star because that was the lowest I could select! I sent in 19 tapes. I got 15 back. One CD was so bad I couldn't watch it, the even cut out most of the music that was on it. Other CD's were duplicates. They also had some video that was copied over other video. They were grainy, and poorly copied. Its not as if these were 20 years old or more. Some were only 5 years old. They also sent me back VHS tapes that they claimed were blank when I know for a fact that I did not send them blank tapes. I am assuming they erased them by mistake. I filed a dispute with my credit card company for the full amount. Please don't fall for their special offers of $5.00 a tape...its not worth a penny! I am now out $82.00 as well as video they erased! I sent them to the company via USPS and they got them in 3 days. They shipped them back to me via Fed ex which was then transferred to USPS, It took over a week for me to get them back once they were sent.

laurap90
4/12/16

I had about 4-5 VHS tapes converted to DVD. They came back labeled and dated and they also returned my original materials, though it was not expected. They also sent me emails along the way to let me know how it was progressing. If I ever have to use them again, I would be happy to.

marthac50
4/12/16

Great service. Keeps you up to date on progress. Good quality. Had pictures converted to digital, movies to digital and cassette tapes recorded to digital. Thank you Southtree for allowing me to keep those memories.

lainew1
4/11/16

I sent in tapes from our once in a lifetime trip, an African Safari. I got updates by tracking my package. They were sent to me by FD EX and then turned over to the US postal service. When reading policy, it says that they will be sent to me by their choice of delivery. I'm not sure why it didn't come to the house by FD EX. They got lost once they were turned over to the postal service. This happened in January and are just now offering to refund me...we will see. VERY poor customer service!!

jimp86
3/23/16

I had less than 5" reels / tapes of recordings that went back to 1967. I was on the DMZ in Korea and my parents talked to me via the recording and my Father sang a song. I was very impressed at the quality of the CD provided by Southtree. I appreciate the memories. J

sallym46
3/22/16

I was kept informed of each step in the process. Any questions were promptly answered. They cleaned slides that had been in storage for over thirty years

dickieb1
3/20/16

The quality was awful. Most of the film is so dark you can't tell who it is. It's like they used vcr's from the 80's to copy the tapes.
Communication was not the best.
Not recommended.

Ask $#*!ie about Southtree

30 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Southtree staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question