Review of Southtree

Tel: (866) 645 3358
info@southtree.com

janinem20
6/4/17

I sent a VHS tape to be transferred to DVD. The DVD I received had no sound. I called and spoke to customer service and the promptly emailed me a return label. Great! The second DVD had no sound and after speaking with customer service I returned it again. Now I get the third DVD and while there is sound the picture is fuzzy and jumpy and hard to watch. AND I noticed that now there is now a sticker on my VHS tape the reads " this tape has some existing damage" There was NOTHING wrong with the tape when I sent it to Southtree and now they have possibly destroyed my original wedding video. I am sending the tape to another service and hopefully my tape is ok and I can get the job done right. And BTW, I have gotten no response from Southtree regarding the " damage".

lindag199
5/24/17

I took advantage of a deal I found for Southtree on Facebook. I sent in 10 tapes and was kept informed on each step of the process. The turnaround time was excellent. It was really great being able to see these old video but a couple had some damage that was disappointing. 4 stars is because one of my videos was labeled as a school show but only had about 45 seconds of something totally different. I wish I could have replaced that one or gotten a credit back. Seriously, it was obviously a mistake, but all mine I guess.

Tip for consumers: Be sure to review your old VHS tapes if you can because I ended up sending in one that had only about 45 seconds on it. My bad. But I was disappointed that I didn't have a chance to have sent in a replacement for that one. They don't fix anything already wrong with your video, but that is to be expected. Look for their deals.

wandar26
5/23/17

as in Barbra Streisand album.... forever on my mind. Thanks to the efficiency of Southtree I now can see family pictures right now all the way back to 1960's. I'm anxious to send some very old pictures. I trust this company completely with my treasures. The quality is just as great as the prices. Thank you Southtree.

brandys23
5/23/17

I must say my rating would be better if I was rating only my converted tapes. I have received my tapes back and so far everything seems in order.... THEN.... I received another box from them and to my surprise I received someone else order as well.. I have a box full of 8MM tapes that are not mine.. I first emailed Southtree asking for a return label as I cherish my memories and would hate to lose them but they kept telling me they were researching how to get me a return label?????? What?? I am overseas but I have access to the US Postal Service. It should not be that difficult.. I have contacted them, I have escalated to a supervisor and apparently not one of the people that works there can figure out how I can ship this via the US Post office.. Really?!? Needless to say I am still after two months of back and forth trying to get a return label to ship these tapes back to them.. I even asked them to give me the owner of the tapes email address as I am sure they would be willing to pay for the shipping themselves just to get their memories back.. DO NOT RISK YOUR MEMORIES WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

jenniferm107
4/27/17

Was a little pricey, but worth it for what they can do, IF done properly. Was impressed with the step by step emails I received, nice to get information through the process. Was EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED when I received our items back. The video was put on to DVD, however there was no sound to it. The audio we had put on CD was horrible- it reminded us of the playback you get when watching ghost hunting shows- you don't hear anything other than a faint sound in the background.

We understand that they may not have been able to do any better, however then they shouldn't have processed the order and should have notified us. SO SAD that I don't have the audio in the video of my Dad or the audio of him playing guitar and singing.

Seriously not worth the amount we paid. We thought a "professional company" would have provided better service. I really feel like I was scammed :(

ericab48
4/25/17

Please be aware, this company LOST a priceless 8mm film that I sent to them to be converted to digital format. Do not trust them with your irreplaceable memories.

I purchased a deal from Living Social for a 3-item LegacyBox conversion kit (This company Southtree operates "LegacyBox" just in case this wasn't clear from previous reviews). Despite their 'intricate' tracking system that they boast about, one 8mm film that I sent in was never logged into their system. Upon receiving an email that only 2 of my 3 items were logged in, I emailed them immediately. Customer service suggested that I sent in an incompatible film format. As I informed them that this was not the case, my order was supposed to be reviewed before it was shipped back to me. It was not reviewed, but instead simply shipped back and only 2 of the 3 items I sent in were returned to me. I have been in contact with the customer service manager numerous times, who cannot give me any kind of detail about my case but only keeps answering that there is an 'open investigation' into locating my item. It has been over two months and if my film has not been found by now I have little faith that it will ever be located.

Just to be clear, I packed the three items to be converted myself and sent them in the box that was sent to me by LegacyBox. This was not a postal service error, it was an error on their part. I wish I had read these reviews before I chose to send these films in to be transferred, as I see that I am not the only one to have their items lost.

jamesr274
4/25/17

I saw the ad pop up on Facebook. It sparked my interest and made me start thinking about changing the format of the Hi8 videos that I have detailing special events in my family for the last 17 years. I was hesitant about sending the precious memories through the mail, but I needed to do it because the tapes were starting to show degradation. I checked quite a few local places and the costs were incredible. I kept sitting on the fence and finally decided to do it. I received an email with 45% off processing that I could not pass up. I packaged the 41 - Hi8 tapes I have and padded them up in the box. I followed the instructions that I received from Southtree for shipping my precious cargo and handed them over to the people at UPS. I am not going to lie when I tell you how worried I was. I thought about it all night after I dropped them off. The next day, I received notification from UPS and Southtree that my memories had arrived and I was kept updated by Southtree through the whole process. The turnaround was pretty short and I received a quality product copied over to DVD format. I opted for the thumb drive, and I cannot tell you how great it is to have 17 years of memories available to me on just one thumb drive. The quality of the DVDs is great and I have been reviewing the files on the thumb drive for days. Great job to Southtree!! Highly recommend them to everyone.

madeleineg6
3/21/17

I have had 20 VHS tapes digitized. Great quality.I needed help and the support person was great. I love the email updates so you know when they receive the tapes, when they start digitizing, etc. I highly recommend this company.

rikj1
3/15/17

I thought about using this service, seemed like it would be nice to have digital copies of the dozens of 8mm cassettes I have from the 90s and early 00s. But after reading the experiences of others and how they were treated by this company, I'll pass. Thanks to all of you.

rachell186
2/11/17

All of my 21 Family tapes from my childhood are gone forever thanks to them. My heart is broken. From about 1989 to 2008. The day I was brought home from the hospital. My first birthday. The day I graduated highschool. Videos of my grandfather who passed away when I was 10. Gone forever. They mail their stuff back to you like it's trash apparently because it went missing in the mail and has been missing for 6 months

tomb256
2/8/17

I can't believe the wonderful job Southtree did converting my cassettes to CD. These cassettes are over 30 years old, and now on CD, they sound so clear and crisp. Thank You so much for a great job. I would recommend your company to anyone.

Tom Bomil

jbs6
1/23/17

First LegacyBox delivered my "memories" a month late. When I opened up the thumb drive I discovered that it was another family's digitized movies. When I called LegacyBox to inquire about what happened, they customer service rep was pathetic. LegacyBox had no record of where my thumb drive of my digitized movies had gone, and worse yet, no concern or acknowledgement that they had breached my and this other customer's privacy. I had to push for a reimbursement and for them to process my original order, it took the barely educated customer rep to do so. To add insult to injury, LegacyBox has still not A) delivered my original order and B) explained what happened. DO NOT INTRUST LEGACYBOX WITH ANY IMPORTANT CONTENT.

jenm58
1/4/17

If you want to lose your precious family memories and give them money, then go for it. Otherwise, use ANYONE else. They lose your stuff, then refuse to continue communicating with you and never offer a refund. They are a sham and should not be allowed to continue business. How could they possibly lose so many people's items?!?!? WTF.
Update 2/22: After I filed with the local BBB, I didn't hear anything for a while. Suddenly the date that Southtree/Legacybox was due to respond - they found my items. I have no idea where they were or how they lost them, but they were not with FedEx, they were at their facility. I received my original items back and the conversion files. I am so, so thankful to have my items back. Do not let up on them if they lose your items. They did a nice job converting the items, but the whole rigamarole of losing my items, denying knowledge of where they were, etc. I wouldn't trust them with my items in the future, but they did get my stuff back.

Tip for consumers: Make copies of your items before sending them in if at all possible. Be sure to barcode everything and keep notes of your transaction.

williamm273
12/27/16

I sent some priceless 8mm films for conversion - had a concern the first time that they were not done properly, they re- ran them and I was pleased with the results. Turnaround time was very reasonable.

jand69
12/12/16

I had many videos to convert to DVD. There was only 1 video that for some reason didn't transfer in its entirety. I called and they had me ship the VCR back to them (free of charge, I might add---nice!) for a senior tech to re-transfer. The DVD came back in no time and it was perfect. I would, and have, highly recommended their service. Thanks!!

cecilias9
12/10/16

I sent my VHS tape with memories from my childhood (my only copy). They sent my order through FedEx and I never received it. I emailed to get help and they just said "sorry for the inconvenience there's nothing we can do, contact FedEx". I contacted FedEx and they said they sent it using a 3rd party, USPS. I never could track the package and now I'm out my money as well as my family films. I will never use this service again.

rubym39
10/18/16

This is a great company i had purchased 3 coupons through groupon and they were fast, efficient, and kept me updated on the process till they were returned to me. I have also purchased additional packages and got the same great service. I would recommend to anyone. R. Mackey

franw15
10/12/16

I wanted to find a way to transfer my home movies from VHS to DVD. I came across Southtree on facebook and decided to take a chance. I was nervous at first, these are treasures of the heart. I sent in 20 tapes and with in a couple of weeks I recieved all my tapes back and all of the DVDs. Great quality, great work. I'm so happy and now gathering my next load of tapes to send in. I would recommend Southtree to anyone who wants to have their memories saved to dvd. Thank you Southtree!!

jeffh135
10/4/16

I saw their ad on Facebook and decided to give it a try. I had many family VHS tapes that I couldn't watch because I no longer have a VCR (and I wanted to get rid of the bulky tapes). I sent them to Southtree for conversion to DVD. They confirmed delivery and then sent an email every time they made progress. The original message said about 5 weeks but everything was returned in 3. The CD's were labeled the same way that I did on the VHS. And they are perfect. I am so happy I did this and do not hesitate to recommend Southtree for your precious memories.

barryt15
9/23/16

Boy, am I glad I read the reviews on your service. I have camcorder tapes of my family I wanted to have converted to dvd's. You LOST picture and video memories of family that CANNOT be replaced!! SHAME on you for continuing to advertise your services.

kristig6
8/25/16

I heard about Southtree through Groupon and jumped all over the opportunity because I had been wanting to convert our 3mm tapes for years. We could not watch any of our videos because our video recorder broke and I don't even think they make that type anymore. Using Southtree was so easy! Their website walks you clearly through all your options and makes it so easy to just package everything up and send it off. And I forgot that I get all my originals back too, which is great "just in case". I received my DVDs back sooner than I thought and just before Christmas. They look great and the cost was definitely reasonable. Years after taking these videos, this past Christmas was filled with so much laughter as we sat around watching videos of the kids when they were young!! We were in tears! So pleased!

leeh83
8/24/16

Don't hesitate to send your memories to this company . I have to admit I was. So the first time I sent only three and was very pleased . The second time I sent 10 without hesitation and again pleased. I was kept informed from the day they received them to the day they were shipped back to me.
Thank you south tree for the memories I thought were lost forever

amilynns
8/24/16

I cannot praise this company enough! I had several videos of my parents to distribute to my siblings. I tried to make copies at home, but the experience was way too painful. I wanted a company who would treat my family keepsakes like they were their own and that's what I found with Southtree. Yes, I was worried sending my videos and a audio recording and some slides that we couldn't view. I didn't want to send these precious items to different companies and then have to struggle to remember where and whom. Southtree did it all, VHS, audio, slides and more. All converted to digital on disc and a jump drive. Easy peasy.

kathym108
8/12/16

I can't say enough about this company. From the time they got my order until the time I got the finished product, they kept me informed as to the progress. It was a little scary sending all your memories across country but they kept me updated during the whole process.I dio have a potential problem which needs time to verify, but the customer service department assured me that if there is a problem, they would take care of it whenever I find the time to watch everything. My next order is already there, and I know this because they e-mailed me when they received it! Highly Recommend!!!!

johnj305
8/7/16

I am a big fan of Southtree transfer services. They have earned my confidence and respect by the way they care for their customers and the quality of the final product. I dont even mind that Im forever embarrassing myself on these old tapes; I feel good about Southtree and I do recommend them often. For comparison let me share my previous experience with a video transfer service that made me leery to repeat the process until Southtrees customer reviews convinced me to take another chance.

More than a few years back, I had one of my videos transferred onto a dvd by a service provided through a local drugstore. The process was long, and I was kept in the dark throughout the entire processI was not sure if my tape was lost or in a techs hands. My original video tape had a short blank spot followed by at least 30 minutes of additional footage. The service I used did not include this extra time on my dvd and cut the transfer as soon as it recognized a blank spot, there was no human involvement. I didnt feel this service cared one way or the other if they lost my video and didnt bother reaching out to me with my complaint.
To date I have had four orders of multi tape shipments transferred onto dvd by Southtree. First of all, they ask you to post onto their fb page what you are sending and they respond! Then every step of the way they email you about your material and inform you which part of production it is in. Then after shipment you immediately have a tracking number. They have great prices (many sales!) and they offer a variety of upgrades. Southtree amaze me on how fast they are able to process my orders. Soon I will be moving along to preserving my photographs.
As Im getting older, and there is not always a tomorrowIm happy to have found a service that I trust and finally get this long wanted process completed.

Helpful answer

I was a real customer and dealt with hundreds of companies over the years. I was EXTREMELY dissatisfied with this company to the point where I had to go through my credit card co to dispute the charge (and won, by the way). I gave them 50 tapes to convert from VHS to DVD. Each was specifically labeled and what was on each was very important to the project. I gave them more than ample time (over 2 months) to complete. After 8 weeks when I still didn't hear from them, I started contacting them and it took over a week to get a response. Within 2 weeks, they sent out the finished product just in time. Only to find out that 90% of those 50 tapes were mislabeled. I had to watch every single one and re label for the project I was working on and I had one day in which to do this. When I tried contacting them, all I was told was to send them back and they will re-label them all. After I was finished with the project I contacted them a few days later to get the mailing label to send back so at least I could have them correctly labeled on each DVD and never heard back. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere.

By Shari L. on 4/5/16
Helpful answer

Do not I repeat do not send them your precious memories Mina have yet to be returned and are most likely lost forever a lawsuit is my next option but no amount of money is going to ever replace those memories!!!

By Kim J. on 4/17/15
Helpful answer

Still waiting for my lost pictures. It's been months and they are no longer answering my emails. If your memories are important, find someplace else.

By Grace B. on 2/15/16
Helpful answer

Southtree lost most of my order once it arrived at their facility. They have yet to take any responsibility and responded to my BBB complaint with the comment that it is listed as a risk in their terms.They do not stand by their claims of safety and careful handling of media once something goes wrong. If you are not willing to lose your precious memories I would strongly suggest another company.

By Tracy M. on 12/30/15
Helpful answer

I had no problem opening. I played them on my dvd player

By Sharon P. on 8/8/15
Helpful answer

I have nothing but positives to say about Southtree. Call or email them with your concerns - they are super responsive.

By Stephany R. on 12/2/15
Helpful answer

I labeled the VHS tapes (the ones I knew). They sent back a DVD for each VHS tape.

By Jennifer M. on 8/25/16

You can copy them.

By Grace B. on 8/23/15
Helpful answer

I believe the difference is that a standard DVD plays in your DVD player and an Experience dvd csn play in a computer and you can share it online or by email with others.

By Danielle H. on 8/30/15
Helpful answer

If those are really precious, find someplace local where you can drop them off. This place has gotten too big and when they lose stuff, they initially act concerned and then if they can't find it, they stop talking to you.

By Grace B. on 8/9/15
Questions? Get answers from the Southtree staff and other customers.

3 Photos for Southtree