US Government’s NSF

Suite 200 67 E Evelyn Avenue
Mountain View, CA 94041

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Just signed up for Pro Account. Seems like the learning curve for site will take a long time. Some of the basic things I needed I had to contact support. So far support has been fast and able to resolve problems I had. They even went into the site and cleaned up a mess I had made. We used a great site (Eventpix) that is no longer in business and allowed self fulfillment for orders that was perfect for the event photography we do. For now hopefully we will be able to steer customers to the Smugmug site to view photos then back to us to order. We tried Smugmug for a year a few years ago and it was more user friendly then now. With any luck they will streamline their business for event photographers who need to get pictures up the same or next day easily. I also noticed that at certain times the site seems slow or not responsive to changes and need to do over.

Last year this company automatically renewed my account, causing over draft fees from my bank out the butt. At this time of year I haven't started work for the summer and generally don't have money in my bank account. There was nothing my bank could do. I talked to the company and was ensured that my automatic renewal was turned off after being walked through how to turn off automatic renewals.
He said after the end of the year my account would expire. End of story.
But not really. I recently accrued even more over draft fees again. This time the bank is disputing it because of my previous experience. I logged in for the first time in months to find that now there isn't an option of manual renewal so they just decided to switch me back and renew me. They sent me an email on my old email account, one I don't check, because I didn't think this was an issue anymore.
I just pray I can get my 100 plus dollars back because otherwise my first paycheck is down the toobs. If I were you I would not sign up for this service unless you have a steady cash flow. I may change my opinion if they cooperate with my bank.

Just had the most horrible experience with this God awful company, the support staff and admin I encountered and were arrogant, rude and shockingly ignorant, underhanded and plain dishonest. I would not recommend any serious photographer to out their eggs in Smugmugs basket or you could seriously end up regretting it. Worst company I have had to deal with in 10 years in the industry. Their conduct is shameful.

It's the classic case of a company that over-promises and under delivers. Their site makes the service looks pretty awesome. However--
1. The product is surprising hard to navigate for all but the most basic functions
2. The support for use of the site is pathetic (how hard it is really to do good quality videos to clearly explain the product you make?)
3. If you ever have to call technical support there is no #800 and I'm sure it's because they can't afford to take calls with all the issues this product has
4. When you email Tech Support they simply deny there's an issue. See attached.

Tip for consumers: Find a site that has good product and tech support reviews.

SmugMug refuses to have a phone number to contact in case of an incident or need of their customer. Any business that will not talk to you on the phone is pathetic.

Also, they do nothing to explain what any of their photo buying options are. They simply allow people to pay for a large number of low-quality photos without explaining the process or options to non-professional customers.

Poor service ....had a photo sent three times to two different addresses never ever recieved one yet but on last attempt can confirm it delivered ....TO WHERE??? Will never ever use again!!!!! Not worth it

Love the photos by Peter Matthess, just bought one. Great service.

I decided to stop to paid for this services, so for close my account i start to get back my photos, before i deleted on the site and close the account.
The surprise there is no software to bulk download your photos, all the software in the support area are out to date and doesn't work
The solution ????? go folder by folder click to zip and get a link from amazon to download your files ( the folder have no the same name as the source so you have to match the download to control that you have all the files)
Send your a link our user for a FTP transfer ? forgetter ! no way you need to do so the hard way.
I also have problem with a big folder, i spend more than a week to get the files in segment of course, now one file doesn't work so the supper tech support send me a new set of files, and start all over again .
If you can stay away from this company is a really bad choice !
Today there is a lot of offers to keep your files secure and even free

Pics take forever to upload. And I have 6Mbps up and 34Mbps down.

I hate this company. My college's alumnae network uses it to send out photos, and whenever I forgetfully click on a photo, the winding gyre of death starts and does not stop until thousands of photos are on my poor phone. I am unable to close the window or use my phone's browser. Don't ever click on a photo if you think it might be SmugMug. If you make the mistake of opening it, shut off your phone, and when you reopen your browser IMMEDIATELY close the site. You will have less than a second to do so. Fun stuff.
PS I have iPhone 5

Smugmug appears to have all the bells and whistles of a top-notch site. Beautiful photography, well designed pages, and 23/7/365 customer support. Well, not really. You can email them, but I have only ever had one response. People stole pictures from my site for Christmas presents, but the water marks would not apply, and the no right click does not apply for every device, apparently. You are not secure. I purchased pictures with a printmark, received them without the printmark. What the heck am I paying for. Prints were awful with the wallet sized for one of my clients, color was different top to bottom and some of the prints were off-center, but nothing was done, I was told that sometimes happens. You can pay a lot of money for bells and whistles, only to find that it is smoke and mirrors. So sad.

If You decide that You want to call Smugmug directly, here is their info:

3347 Shady Spring Lane
Mountain View, Ca

(650) 641-3119
(650) 265-0400

Senior Account Specialist - Customer Service - John Polanek - (815) 372-3946

I ordered two photos from for a gift. The website said I could receive them in two business days for an extra $10.99 for "2 Day UPS Air", so I paid the extra to get it in time for our Christmas get together. The gift was for my mother, and it was a picture of her great grandbaby. When it didn't arrive as promised, I tracked the package on the Fedex website, which stated the package would arrive two days late. The Fed Ex rep said it would have come sooner if the shipper had checked the box for Saturday shipping (Apparently Smug Mug can choose a different shipper than what you ordered and paid for). Since my mother did not receive her Christmas gift as a result, I requested a refund fromSmugmug for the $10.99 2 day "expedited" shipping. The Smugmug representatives are aptly named, as they smugly told me I didnt pay enough attention to the fine print (untrue), and didnt even deign to offer an apology for the "misunderstanding". Needless to say, I will not be using their services again , nor will I recommend them to anyone. Very appalling customer service and disreputable company!!

I have been a loyal SM customer for many years. Their hosting was great until the new version came out. I call it the "New Coke". New look (worse) and leaves you craving the Classic Coke. Converting to it takes months of hard work - which they demand you do for them.

Then they started e-mailing photos of themselves with every support e-mail. NOt just photos of themselves. No, they are so ashamed of how they look, that they paint their faces with religious imagery. I don't appreciate them sending these into my home. I pay them for hosting my photos, not promoting their religion at my expense.

Their support used to be excellent. Their hosting used to be excellent. They used to operate in a professional manner. Those days are gone. Too bad they are wanting to self-destruct.

They need to go on some serious customer support training courses, and learn what corporate professionalism looks like.

I have been a Smugmug customer for a while and have generally liked the site. But then suddenly, they went to a new version of their photosharing site and that is when the troubles started. The problems with Smugmug are twofold:

A horrible, utterly counter-intuitive user interface that makes you waste time doing simple tasks. For instance, sharing photos is a common basic operation that one would presume be prominent on the site. On Smugmug, that does not happen. You need to click on "ORGANISE", the choose the gallery, then a specific photo, look for the tiny rectangle with the arrow, click it and then choose different sharing choices. Convoluted & Confusing in other words. More than anything else, it is the user interface that sucks. The wording of many tabs is mis-leading, it is hard to find features hidden away in the menus, there is no help available upon hovering above a menu item etc. etc.

The software is buggy, behaves differently on different browsers, the online photo editing module PicMonkey is erratic etc.

I made the terrible mistake of recommending the product to several colleagues and friends based on a more positive experience on the previous version of the software. And now I am stuck with giving them tech support on behalf of Smugmug.

Pathetic that in 2016 firms do not give priority to the user experience and UX.

What they don't explicitly tell you...
If you are a non US based business selling in your own currency - they convert your profit to US dollars and back again on payment. This reduces your profit in addition to their % sales cut.

They didn't make it clear that they would delete my photos unless I purchased within 14 days. When I asked where all my photos were that I worked so hard to upload, I was told that they had been deleted. Not even NICE! Had I gone to the BBB Online first and seen the many complaints, I wouldn't have bothered at all with them. LIVE & LEARN.
By the way.. the person I was dealing with, Shay Nicholson , even had the nerve after telling me my photos were deleted... to say, HAVE A GREAT DAY. Like "... in your face." Nice.

I have been a SmugMug user for several years. I was very excited about the new look and migrated over. I was impressed by the new design layouts and asthetics.....until, I had a problem.
I would send customer support an email with 2-3 questions. The response time was usually 12+ hours. And when they respond, they would only address 1 question out of 2 or 3. I would need to send it again and wait another 12+ hours for another response. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS AWFUL.
I "upgraded" for the ability to be able to sell my prints. Turns out that unless you upgrade to their business top tier option, you can only use one price list thru out your entire site.
Bottom line, I started looking at their competitor site and signed up for a trial. Customer service returned emails within minutes in most cases, maybe 15 minutes at most. (not 12 hours!)
The comp also had lower pricing and allows multiple Price Lists and options. (I can price every photo within a gallery at different prices if I wanted to)

I was really happy with the I started to get nervous about making the switch. Tons of photos to reload, create new galleries, keywords, etc...
GREAT NEWS - I learned that upload junctions migrates everything from SmugMug to the new site in one click!

I even went to the PDN Photo Expo and stopped by SmugMug's booth to tell them about my experience. The "superhero" that I spoke to showed real concern and wanted to discuss my experience further. She took my business card and info and said she would call me back.

Yep, still holding my breath for that call. Meanwhile, switched sites, moved my domain name to the new site and waiting for Smugmug membership to expire.

SmugMug just went to a new design, if you are thinking about using it, don't! The new SmugMug is full of bugs and getting any meaningful help is useless. The help techs don't seem to know the system, there is no continuity, you get a different tech each time and you have to re-explain the problems over and over. The techs don't answer you specific questions but just tell you to do either stuff you have already done or they blame it on you browser or computer or domain server etc. There is no phone number so you can't talk to anyone and they don't seem to have the ability to screen share to help you with your problems. I say problems because there are many of them with new ones popping up everyday. The new site looks slick but when you try to do something you have already done with no problems, like create a page, all of a sudden it won't work, or it works while you are logged in but when you go out to see your site like a common viewer, what you have created will not be there or will only partially be there. Some of you images will not render in your galleries and you have to go off site and back on and then maybe they will render. There are far too many problems with SmugMug!

Smugmug - a culture of sorcery.

I love SmugMug ... or did. I have been a Pro customer there for many years. The features of the site up until now have been excellent. (the jury is still out on the "new" format) I have been advertising for them since day 1. On photography sites, forums, and blogs, I have been encouraging people to try them out. I was spending a lot of time promoting their site - and expecting nothing in return.

I have been having an on-going issue with the so-called "sorcerers" at SmugMug. For those unfamiliar with SmugMug, they dress up like sorcerers, paint their faces like demonic junkies, and then send the photos to you whenever you submit a service ticket. For what purpose - I have no idea. I don't want to see their religious imagery, and it adds nothing to their service - in fact it demeans people of Godly faith.

When I asked nicely that they not send the inappropriate photos, they literally laugh, and flat out refuse. They say that it is their "culture" there. A culture of sorcery. Which is fine - they can do whatever they want in their own time - but they should not be forcing their chosen culture on their customers. Especially when it is demonic in nature. They should be respecting other people, and other cultures, not forcing theirs on people who don't worship evil.

I sent a letter to the management, begging them to stop sending the inappropriate photos, and even they didn't care. Their "culture" is also one of arrogance and apathy. They honestly don't care at all about who they offend. This must be a highly valued religion for them, to demand to force these photos on people.

For those who have had real life experiences with the occult and the principalities and powers of darkness - you would question the wisdom of creating a culture of the occult to operate a business from. But amazingly - that is what they have chosen to do. They have no respect for anyone with values contrary to their own. They don't care how many people are harmed by the occult, they just want to force it on everyone.

You can only imagine that the leadership is very immature and totally ignorant of the very occult that they embrace and promote. They claim to be focused on the customer, when in fact they ignore and mock them.

There are some very nice support people there who do respect us when they e-mail, but they are very rare. They were able to provide excellent service for years without this nonsense. Perhaps they are too big now to care about their customers.

So I will be leaving ... no matter what the new system looks like. For every person that complains about something - there are many more that will say nothing.

It is very unfortunate that people there just don't care about others. Selfishness is such a pitiful thing. They would otherwise be a fabulous site. As they were in the past. I don't want to fund their culture of hatred and disrespect for others.

First, I been with Smugmug for two years. Initially, I had trouble creating a design that I like, you just need to be a website designer to be able to do it. But they have plenty options already pre-made. However, after everything was set and go, I just do my job, upload my pictures, and they do the rest saving me money and time by not needing to contract an employee to manage, sell, accounting, for the pictures I sell. They have great professional printing with many options; I would like more options on professional art paper, but 90% of my business printing is done through them. Because their cost on printing, my personal printing is mostly done with other companies.

SmugMug's customer support is AWFUL. If there is a problem with their software, they would rather blame their customers and tell them they're "doing it wrong" than offer to have a SmugMug engineer troubleshoot an issue (which is not at all user error). To make matters worse, just try contacting customer support by phone. They do not have a phone number for their customers to call!! At all. It's email-only customer support. If you have an issue with a support rep, good luck getting a response from a supervisor. They do not believe in speaking with human beings by phone. As for their software, their "Download All" link is supposed to result in an email being sent to your email address with a link to a zip file of your photos. What has been happening, repeatedly, is that when clicking this link one time (and one time only), SmugMug begins to download all of your gallery photos. If you have hundreds of images in a given gallery, we're talking over 1 GB of images easily. When you have a client who wants to download their images, they need the link to the zip file. SmugMug is awful, unprofessional, and their customer support stinks. Give your money to another business that has more respect for its clientele.

I signed up for the "all features included" free trial. Not to test their storage features, but to actually sell something and see how smooth this goes.

My first visual impression wasn't really good. Everything looked somewhat amateurish and navigating through the page was way less intuitive than I know it from other similar websites. I would describe the look and feel of the page as outdated, but I guess one can get used to it.
After setting up a gallery and sharing the link with my buyer, she placed an order and everything went it's way: my buyer ordered and payed, As usual SmugMug subtracted the printing costs as well as their own processing fees from the amount she payed. So I went ahead and filled in my information so I can get my share. However, I never received a payment. No money, no note from SmugMug, nothing, just silence.

I contacted SmugMug support to notify them about the missing payment. Here is the answer I got:

"...Let me explain: your account is a trial account that has never been paid for. In order to get paid, you need to sign up and pay for your account so we can then send you your profit..."

I went back to the Terms of Use to read them again and see what I've missed before signing up, but couldn't find anything about that. I signed up for an "all featured included" trial during which I was able to sell and was able to fill in my payment information. I earned money during the trial, and now SmugMug is sitting on my money unwilling to give it to me unless I give them $20 or whatever such a pro account costs. However, during my trial I decided that I don't like it, so why should I sign up?

I strongly disagreed with them and started a longer email discussion during which they defended themselves by telling me that the information about the required pro account is given on their help page. While trying to explain to them that

- it is not okay to hide costs on a help page and not mention it in the Terms of Use,
- they should disable the sales features for trial members,
- they could at least implement a warning on their website, letting a user know when leaving the free trial area,
I kept getting arrogant lines like this:

"Please be sure to check out the complete Pro section of our Help section. It is loaded with easy to understand information."

How do you dare doing this while sitting on someone else's money?
After spending hours writing emails to SmugMug and defending my point, they told me that I would receive my money after waiting for it for 4 months.

My common sense tells me to stay away from anyone who acts like this, and I recommend you to do the same. It just leads to trouble sooner or later. This was a very insightful trial.

Smugmug is the best online sharing photo tool I ever used.

Smugmug is the best online sharing photo tool I ever used.
Beside the fact that it stores your photos in full size and that it offers really unlimited storage, it can be upgraded with tons of community tools (upload from right click, ).
It starts at 40$/year for non professional accounts, but even at that price it is really unlimited storage.
Living 6000km from my family, smugmug is a must have to share moments in pictures, also as a part time professional photographer smugmug has been very useful sharing and promoting my work.
You can even use this coupon on the smugmug coupon field in the sign up form to get 5$ off the price : 7Ppmk1PbRiBVQ ( )
- Full size pictures
- Really unlimited storage
- Great themes
- Easy to use
- Great interface, easy to customize per gallery :)
- Community creating addons (lightroom plugin, upload from right click, screensavers)
- It is not a photo backup tool as you cannot bulk restore photos from galleries, you have to order DVDs from smugmug.

5 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the SmugMug staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
3 weeks, 3 days ago
Add your answer
on 5/2/16
A: I've had similar issues. I've simply been told which browsers work better.
3 weeks, 2 days ago