Review of Raise.com

Tel: 888-578-8422

20 reviews with 2 stars

robertw364
7/8/17

I bought a Starbucks gift card through the Raise app and attempted to transfer the balance to my personal Starbucks account. No dice: the Sbux gift card was registered to someone else. I called Raise and was told that the Raise website recommends against doing transfers. I didn't use the website, I said, I used the app. I asked them to refund my order. Nope. The fine print is on the website. Buyer beware, especially if you use the Raise app.

bobj134
5/14/17

I would be a solid and continue shopper on Raise but having to manage and maintain a balances thatmight or might not be there is unacceptable as they sometimes seem to completely disappear from one day to the other. So I can give them as gifts and I'm not always sure that is a balance left so I always have to bring extra credit cards or cash to cover just in case . The raise support team has been great at refunding me my missing $$ but it is something I just don't want to even consider being a possibility when purchasing gift cards .

gregoryb53
3/6/17

I have been using Raise.com for more than 1 year. I would NOT recommend this site to anyone. The cards just don't work. Save your self the embarrassment at the store or restaurant. Please beware.

crystald34
1/10/17

Spent 45 dollars on a 50 dollar gift card, thought it would be a good deal. Now it's showing 0 doillars balance. I know they have a guarantee but it's just a waste of time...

jojob4
12/25/16

Bought my 1st voucher from Raise on Tuesday; took the $50 Cheesecake Factory voucher to the restaurant on Thursday; was told there was a $0 balance. The voucher had never been used. Forced to use a legit Visa Gift Card that someone else had given me & it worked perfectly. I would not rely on Raise for actual gifts to people, but rather buy a gift card directly from the establishment for them. If it's for yourself & you're ready to cover the amount if you're told it's a Zero Balance at the retailer/restaurant, maybe give it a try. Spent 15 minutes on hold/talking to Raise Customer Support at the restaurant. The Raise rep was calm & efficient, saying the amount would be credited to my account "if I qualified" (per a follow-up email that I received). Kudos to the rep; thumbs down to my Raise restaurant experience during the holidays.

kimj71
8/15/16

In the past year I have been embarrassed trying to use a gift card purchased from RAISE not once but FIVE times. Each time I had checked the balance on the card when it arrived. Two of the cards were new & denied & the others I had used once or twice no problem & then 0 balance when there should have been one. What is going on here? Being with friends or family, paying with a gift card & being told you have 0 balance is no fun. I'm just glad I had extra cash with me! Each time resulted in a very long wait on the phone trying to reach RAISE customer service and then the hassle begins...you may get your balance back, you may end up with a credit towards future purchases. Future purchases from a company THAT HAS NO REAL QUALITY CONTROL. I EXPECT TO GET WHAT I PAY FOR!! Happened again today, now SIX times...$50 gift card received with $0 balance!!!!! RAISE offers nothing for my time or inconvenience!

vivieni
4/18/16

My account was suspended due to an error, they detected my IP address was from Canada, I live in Texas! They detected that when I was purchasing an order, they canceled my order only saying due to an issue the order was canceled (I figured someone might have just beat me by a second with that offer). Nowhere was I notified that my account was suspended, I was ABLE to login to the website and browse and change setting in my account. I was UNABLE to login through my mobile app, but it was due to an connectivity issue, not because my account was suspended, it so happen right when they upgraded the app, so I figure it was an issue with the app since I can login with my phone browser.
UNTIL I try to make a order with a good deal and that when I realized it was suspended! I was extremely upset that I wasn't notified, and because it was after hour, I have to let the deal slide. It was a double %off than what it usually is, who want to let such good deal slide!
ANYWAY, horrible on their side for not keeping the client inform as to what happened to their account, at least show somewhere that the account was suspended when they login! If I would've known it was suspended, I would have have it resolve on that day!

Tip for consumers: Call it in as soon as something went wrong, they won't tell you anything until you ask

mariey5
4/4/16

Waste of time, found a $100 JCPenney eGift Card for $81, checked back in a few minutes to find the order was canceled without an explanation. Money was withdrawn from my account and then reversed, which means it will take at least a few days to be returned. Why on earth would I be charged in the first place if the order was just going to be canceled on me??? Won't try this again.

amyr61
3/18/16

Raise.com indicated it was a Brighton "gift card" but it was actually a merchandise return card which states on the back that it can NOT be sold and its nontransferable. It was signed by the previous owner. When I called Raise.com they said they verified that it can be used and to call a local store to see if they will accept it before I make a trip to the store. Well.... I tried using it online, Brighton said it can NOT be used online, AND the local store said they can NOT accept it as they could get in trouble because I was NOT the person who signed the card! So I had no choice but to return the card. I told Raise that they should not allow a card that stated it can not be sold or transferred! Raise claimed that I really didn't buy the card from them but from the person selling! What?! I bought the card on the Raise.com website!!!!!! I got my refund BUT I really wanted the gift card that I though I was buying! Beware, you might get a merchandise return card NOT an actual gift card!

drewc11
3/15/16

I bought a Chili's $50 voucher for $37 and it had no balance. They refunded me promptly. Had to complain more to give me $5 credit to buy more gift cards. :/

susanl113
3/14/16

Gave 2 vouchers to Ruth Christs for xmas. They used the first one on Superbiwl Sunday and everything went fine. A couple months later they tried to use the second one and was told it had already been used. After several calls to Ruth Christs, no history pertaining to the usage of that card could be found. My parents, embarrassed to have to call me, told me what had happened.

I called customer support who were great. She confirmed there was no info on that voucher and immediately refunded my money.

Unfortunately, a couple things are 'sticking' with me;
1) I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a gift from the site again although I would consider buying for myself; and
2) it bothered me that this "100 day guarantee", wasn't emphasized upon sale....if the guarantee they offer only goes out 100 days then wouldn't it follow that all gift cards should be used within 100 days? Furthermore,
3) Although they say 100 day guarantee, in reality if you bought your gift card using a credit card, this is an immediate chargeback, for a period more than 100 days, under the chargeback reason: NON RECEIPT OF GOODS OR SERVICES

xiaohuiz
2/25/16

I bought many macy's voucher. Initially these card worked, later macy's website can't recognized them. I have more than $1,000 macy's card. When I contacted raise, they said because of out of 3 months, they couldn't refund me. I still couldn't figure out what's happened.

oiy1
2/12/16

I have been purchasing gift card through your company and now i feel uneasy due to my $300 petco gift card received through mail was a fake. Customer service should at least compensate for what has happen and figure ways to verify seller information before selling it online. I feel customer service is nice but should make buyer happy.

kyled28
1/30/16

It's a pain to get payment from you, takes weeks to get 30 bucks on my third card sale.

ts144
1/14/16

I purchased a gift card that didn't work. After over a month's time and contacting them, many, many times, I was finally able to get my money back. Pretty worthless 100% Money Back Guarantee if you ask me.

anf7
11/11/15

Bought an AVEDA gift card through Raise.com and tried to use it at an aveda spa. The card did not register any funds even though when I first received it in the mail and checked the balance on the phone, the automated service told me it did have the full balance I paid for.

The manager and several employees of the spa got involved over several days to help me and get my card to work. Turns out the Corporate office identified the card as COUNTERFEIT and unloaded the balance! They said the "customer was informed".. Well no one told me.. so was there another customer? Perhaps the one who sold it or maybe being counterfeit, there were multiple card sold? Whoever is counterfeiting these cards is very crafty. That is why I'm posting this.. to help warn others.

Anyways tried to contact Raise and had to leave a message on their site since no one was available. EVEN if they do refund me... there is no way it can make up for the embarrassment, hassle and awkward situation this put me in. Now I have to wonder what the employees are thinking in the back of their heads every time they see me at the salon/spa. How awful!

Update: 4/28/16
Was able to resolve with Raise customer service. They requested I mail back the card with a pre-paid shipping label I had to print out and tape to the envelope. It took almost 2 weeks to get an answer from them and they finally said they will refund me the discounted amount I paid for the card. Not sure how long that will take, probably another 2 weeks. So assuming the refund will go through.. I'll add a star.

Every time I go back to that salon, I apologize for the card fiasco ... knowing how much the employees there went out of their way to try and help me... only to find out it was a counterfeit card. By the way ...the employees at the New Beginnings Aveda Spa are fantastic!

kk57
9/15/14

Super slow delivery for electronic cards. Other gift card resellers deliver much faster.

marys133
7/8/14

I bought a $50 Starbucks e-card for $41. When it arrived in my account I tried to transfer the balance to my gold card and it was not a good card. They then gave me another $50 gift card and this time I kept the rep on the phone while I tried to transfer it again. Again, this card was declined saying it was registered to someone else. They are giving me refund. The also gave me a $5.00 promo code for being a first (and now last) time customer. I am not buying anymore from this company. I am just glad I didn't give it as gift.

crystald8
7/3/14

Well, after purchasing several gift cards and not using one after a few months I go to use it and to my surprise the number is invalid and raise will,not help me because its over 60days. It would have been nice if they could look up,this info and accommodate me in some way. I will never use this company again and I would suggest anyone not to use it unless its for an immediate purchase. It just doesn't feel like a safe purchase.

mn20
2/5/14

If you had asked me 6 months ago what I thought of Raise I would've given it 5+ stars. It was a great place to sell my unwanted gift cards, rarely had any issues with buyers, and got paid in a somewhat timely manner. That's all changed lately though. Now they're asking for very personal information including my Social Security, and holding my money hostage until I give it to them. I'm sorry, but I don't just give out my SSN number to websites.

Raise it probably a safe place to buy gift cards. I was a very reputable seller, and would never try to rip off a buyer. But I wouldn't recommend selling there. If u do sell there take your money out as soon as possible and don't trust them to hold your funds. They're liable to make you choose between your money or the risk of identity theft.

Helpful answer

I had a problem with the lowes gift cards i purchased from Raise as they did not work at lowes. It took upwards of 10 calls and over 3 months before I received my over $700 back. I will never buy anything on Raise again

By Gideon D. on 3/11/16
Helpful answer

The usual issue is that someone will buy a gift card with a stolen credit card and then sell it to Raise (or others) for cash. Usually within 100 days the gift card issuer will find out when they have been charged back for the stolen card purchase, at which point they invalidate the card and zero the balance. Raise.com will refund you the unused balance on the card prior to it being zeroed out, but only within 60 days of your order. Their short protection policy limits their exposure if a high value card is invalidated and you come looking for a refund three months after you bought it. Every gift card reseller has a different policy for refunds. Some are as short as a few weeks, others last 100 days or more. Raise.com's 60 day policy is shorter than many of their competitors, which is why I don't use them much anymore. The lessons I have learned is only order cards you will use entirely within the next month, never gift them to others, and keep a spreadsheet if you order a lot of cards so you can keep track of balances. In all, I've had about 3% of the 200 cards I've ordered suddenly zeroed out. The majority were for improbably large amounts, which is why I now try and order lower value cards. One site suddenly listed 10 $100 gift cards for Jimmy Johns, a sub shop. One has to wonder who would order gift cards like this in the first place, only to put up for resale. It turned out the original buyer used a stolen credit card to buy them all and turned the proceeds into cash. The cards were all zeroed out. I have learned to be suspicious when a large number of high $ value cards in the same amount suddenly go up for sale. So while it may make sense to buy a $100 gift card for Sears, it usually isn't to buy a $100 gift card for Dunkin Donuts.

By Phillip D. on 4/12/15
Helpful answer
Since so many people complain about the gift card balance all gone after 100 days and raise doesn't bother and sorry u are screwed I cannot help haha kinda thing. While I am one of the victims, there is something painful I learnt from the 10 hrs of panic and anger on phone calls to raise, to Wholefood and TJMaxx store managers and customer services. Meanwhile, I am a mother of a crying 10 months old baby who I was carrying him at the TJMaxx store trying to resolved the 0 balance giftcard (I purchased from raise) problem with no results and no help. I learnt this lesson the most painful way. I cannot believe I let myself go through such terrible experience because of a mistake of buying their giftcards on raise. I learnt This is how unsafe it is about giftcard is that, because we don't have the original purchase receipt!! I thought the TJMaxx physical giftcard was safer but not really. The person who sold us the card report lost or stolen card and get his card replaced and zero out our balance. Because TJMaxx will only ask for the original receipt and credit card proof of payment, if u can tell them the purchase date they can help you. But of course we Will never know that piece of information. And the store asked where u got the gift card from, once they know it's from raise they said sorry we cannot help u at all. Anyways, we better not buy anymore gift cards unless u use it right away. Or prepare to cry and panic at the store when u wanna use it to make a few purchases for your baby and family. That's the only suggestions most people will tell me. Do u guys have any "buyer be aware" experience to share or any painful stories like mine to share?

people should unite and file a class action lawsuit against these guys, any attorneys reading this???

By karen l. on 3/12/16
Helpful answer

You check the balance on the business' website. For instance, if you have a McDonald's gift card, go to McDonald's website to check the card balance.

By G H. on 2/29/16
Helpful answer

I'm a new member and I don't know much. I do know they buy and sell gift cards but, I don't know the commission rates. Sorry I couldn't be more help. The customer service staff is very friendly and helpful if you call them.

By Stephen D. on 12/31/15
Helpful answer

I was a 1st time raise user 08/15 & got my Home Depot ecard immediately! My review here gives them 4 out of 5 stars from my 1 experience.

By Rachel B. on 8/27/15
Helpful answer

Christy, Raise is not a bank and has not established an escrow account. The buyer shoulders the financial liability. Check their terms and conditions

By Dave F. on 4/16/15
Helpful answer

Hi Gunjeet, in an effort to verify your seller account, we do ask for a valid credit card to be used in order to sell cards! This is to increase the security of our marketplace and to help our sellers get paid quicker, and allow our buyers to receive their cards in a timely manner as well! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to reach out!

By Juan H. [Raise.com Rep] on 5/2/17
Helpful answer

Hi Ali! You can purchase a gift card through Raise and apply to that to your online Dell order. Please note only 1 card may be used per online transaction. Please ask away if you have any further questions!

By Juan H. [Raise.com Rep] on 3/29/17
Helpful answer

Hi TJ! All you need to sell a card on Raise is a credit card for verification. You upload the card information, we verify it, and it gets listed! Once a card has officially been sold, you'll be notified via email and you can get paid via check, ACH Direct Deposit, or PayPal. Physical checks will take 3-14 business days for you to receive while ACH/PayPal will take 1-3 business days.

By Juan H. [Raise.com Rep] on 3/26/17
Questions? Get answers from the Raise.com staff and other customers.

10 Photos for Raise.com