US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

jz29
12/2/16

I always use Picaboo for my photobooks and have for years. I've also had good luck with using them for Christmas cards. I love how customizable it is. I love being able to put as many pictures or text where ever I want.

rosep42
2/17/16

I received an order of 156 prints and 3 8x10s, yesterday. While I waited for my order, I was interested in tracking it. However, this is the second order that I was unable to track, even when I looked at my order history.

When I received my order, I was grateful that my husband stopped our mailcarrier from bending the Picaboo envelope and pushing it in our mailbox, especially when I found that the envelope holding my order was a thin white envelope (not cardboard like other companies) and that there was only a handcut piece of cardboard, which had gotten slightly bent, itself, inside this envelope, to protect, in a minimal way, the 3 8x10s from bending. These large photos were not covered in any way or even protected from the smaller white envelope, placed on top, (which was wrinkled) holding the smaller photos. The thing that most surprised me was that the smaller photos had been trimmed. Although trimmed to the proper size, the trimmings, which were uneven sizes and lenghts, were left with the order, and were even mingled between photos. This is very unprofessional. I would have done a better job, myself, with packaging and presentation, and I'm not the owner of a large photo processing company. I will not be using Picaboo again.

kathryns26
1/18/16

Shutterfly has the worst customer service I've experienced in a long time. I ordered photo calendars for relatives last December, specified that they should begin with January, and somehow they thought that meant I wanted 2015 calendars at the end of 2015. Their website should not be set up to allow for such a stupid default. It is sloppy, and worse, they blamed me for the mistake and refused to replace the calendars. They have lost my custom forever.

michaeln69
1/13/16

We tried to use software to put together photobooks. Not only was it cumbersome to use, there was no way to sort pictures or an autofill feature (after the initial option). Stay away from Picaboo

jenniferf56
12/30/15

I made photo books for my mom and siblings for Christmas and they were a HIT! The printing was very crisp and vivid -- and the web application was easy to use. I love the redesign of the app! I also printed my Christmas cards through Picaboo this year. There were tons of great designs to choose from.

summerh9
12/21/15

Ordered my Christmas cards on 12/6 with expediting shipping preference (which I paid for). They were scheduled to be delivered between 12/11 & 12/16. On the 16th I called because they never arrived and my shipping tracking information was never updated. They agreed to reprint, expedite the processing and send next day air. It is 12/21 and I still have not receive them. My Christmas cards will now officially not make it out in time for Christmas even though I originally placed my order on the 6th. No offer to refund or credit me anything and believe me, I asked. I am shouting it from the virtual rooftops! Do not use Picaboo for your printing needs. I get that mistakes happen, but companies need to provide a better customer experience when they do. Never again, Picaboo!

tehsingn
12/20/15

i designed my Xmas cards and had a difficult time ordering the card. Customer service was very helpful but it took awhile. Because of the difficulty in submitting my order I checked it carefully to no avail it seems. Received my card where picture orientation was incorrect and I received someone else's envelopes with addresses on it.

nicolep50
12/13/15

They have horrible customer service and wouldn't let me edit my order 45 minutes after placing it! Ridiculous shipping fees as well!

joanneb38
12/7/15

I have used Picaboo for every photo book I have made. I travelled extensively for a year, and created books for all of my trips. I did read the reviews about the images appearing dark in the final product, so I lightened the pictures before printing to avoid that problem. The lay flat books are expensive, but I love the one that I made. I love their unlimited pages deals, as I have created a couple of these for my more extensive trips. As for the shipping costs and product arrival dates that people have complained about, if you look on the website, the costs and dates of product arrival are clearly indicated, so even though it might stink to pay for those costs (which aren't unreasonable), you can order or not with full information. Picaboo is easy to use, the options for page layout are as simple or as complicated as you wish for them to be, and the uploading of images takes a reasonable length of time (never hours!). My feeling is that the angry, dissatisfied customers have been enraged enough to write reviews, but happy customers that will continue to order fabulous Picaboo products have just neglected to post their stories of satisfaction.

mikel218
11/28/15

these guys are the kings of coupon discount scams! they offer great value coupons until you place an order and find out that you'll pay shipping, shipping surcharges in some cases and only one coupon per order--at the end you pay more than most other sites. what good is a free shipping coupon or offer if they won't let you combine it with another voucher you bought? Be careful in buying their coupons!

kas372
11/7/15

Horrible experience. Bought groupon (which does not accurately reflect the fact that the value in parenthesis is the discounted amount not the value of the photo book), so what I thought was a good deal really wasn't. Next I went online to make the book only to have problems. I tried over and over to upload images and when I reached out to the chat line they stated I needed to use a different browser. Used different browser which helped the time frame of uploading but when I went to save my project it kept saying it couldn't save because my internet was down. I wasn't having any problems with my internet and tried for over an hour to keep trying to save. I wouldn't have tried that long but I already put hours into making the book and wasn't going to waste even more time trying to re-create again. Plus I had the groupon I needed to use. Ended up opening up another tab on browser only to find out that it actually saved....ugh!!! Then to find out that I still had to pay $35.00. Needless to say, I should have looked up reviews and I'll never use Picaboo again. Wasn't worth my time nor money. Now let's just hope the book actually turns out nice.

bethp26
11/5/15

I purchased a voucher to use on my Christmas cards. I've been trying to construct the card for the last two hours, and I can't get anything to load. Picaboo is the most user-unfriendly site I have ever experienced. So disappointed...in 2010, my photographer made us a family photo book which is absolutely gorgeous. Now, with what is happening, I may just forfeit my voucher and go with another site. Angry, frustrated, defeated. I will not be back to Picaboo.

amyh79
10/16/15

I have used Picaboo in the past and not had any issues, but when I recently tried to place a large print order everything kept crashing. When I called they said my project was too big, break it up. I did. Still crashed. Called again 45 minutes later after telling me to connect to a landline - super inconvenient, even though we tested my internet speed and they decided it was more than adequate. If I didn't have vouchers that I needed to use I would've already gone elsewhere. I requested to talk to a manager... more than one person told me, "The managers don't talk to customers." Are you kidding me? Apparently they are too busy to talk to customers but will email me. This is an ongoing problem. I've spent hours working on adjusting my prints and none of my work will save and I can't even get into my cart. Customer service can't either. I asked for a refund on my vouchers and was simply told, they are past the 30 days that they will refund them. So what am I to do? SO DISAPPOINTED! This is absolutely ridiculous!

st10171
9/14/15

I used this company for the first time about 3 years ago. Recently I decided to start printing my photos again in book format and used them again. I didn't have the same results as most of these reviews.
The quality of the book the first time around was exact to my screen. The second time around I decided to use the layflat paper. This options resulted in fantastic results. It was a book of sunsets for my mother. She was pleased as I also was over the color rendition. I printed a b/w photo book with images that range from contrasty or deep dark tones and yet the details within still held up. I had two issues with the book - I could slightly see the image of the back side of the page. If I went layflat, this wouldn't have been an issue. However with the layout of the book it would have been unnecessary for the extra expense and other book companies have to same paper weight for paperstock. My second issue was the book came in bent. I called the customer service. My response was very different then what is posted here. They told me to take a photo of the book and send it to them for their records. They had no problem replacing it. In fact, minutes later after sending the images I wanted to check the status of another book I had in production and notice that the bent on was already reordered by them. They overnighted the book once it was printed.
The last book I made in color came in last week. The print quality was good. Things were the same as usual. Nothing out of the ordinary. Colors were very close to accurate. A slight drop in vividness but essentially the same as the computer.
After reading some of these reviews I can't help but wonder if some take into account that user errors isn't a fault of a company. I'm not trying to bash anyone because these are things I have and could easily do too. But having spend money I make sure to double check things.
Like for example the yellow crop lines that say that they image 'may' be cropped is a rough estimate. So yes, the image past that point may show up. If you stop the image right at the line, you run the risk of the white of the paper showing up. Or leaving blank pages. I've done it but caught in when I looked through what I was getting printed. After all that effort why not take 5 more minutes? Again these are mistakes I've caught myself making too. These were my thoughts with some of what I was reading.
Anyways, overall I'm happy with what I'm receiving. I have 4 more books to print so hopefully all stays this way. I've never tried another company as I've had no need to this point.

dianeb54
9/14/15

last year, I got sucked into a bogus scheme with a price reduction on yearbooks that you refused to honor. The books were late for reunion. Worse they were shipped from Canada and went thr customs for the full amt, not the discounted amount. We had Visa correct the flaw and got near the promised price. Lo and behold, over a year later, I get a State tax on a $3000. " import." The cost was $1200. And it was not a business import. I paid the $200 to be rid of you once and for all. You have fraudulent business practices, and an irresponsible service Department. do not do business with this company. Ok for 1 book perhaps but NEVER order multiples!!!!! Terrible.

patriciae10
8/21/15

This has to be one of the most user un-friendly sites on the internet. The Amazonlocal vouchers are rejected, customer "service" is a joke and you will lose hours of your life trying to put your photo book together and check out. A nightmare! I've been burned 3 times now so I will probably remember to stay away from them. Use Photobin or Adorama or Costco--anything but this miserable company.

herbf1
6/17/15

I just received books that I ordered only a week ago and they are beautiful!!!
Just wanted everyone to know that though there are many complaints from
people out there..... I had a great experience and can't wait to hand my books out to family and friends!!!

HCF

sergeym11
6/1/15

I ordered a custom photo-book from Picaboo. It arrived today.
The print quality is terrible. It looks like someone did a draft print-out and sold it instead of the quality product.
Every page in photobook product contains clearly visible grid-like pattern.
This is terrible even compared to results of one-hour photo service prints.
It looks like a bad Chinese quality, but for an exorbitant price.

Costco has less scrapbooking options, but their print quality is very good compared to that scrap.

I am completely dissatisfied with their product. It isn't worth even the shipping costs.
Their customer phone support service is also horrible and rude.

Tip for consumers: run away!

jennifert47
4/1/15

For a $35 coupon for $100, you end up paying $20 (Tax and shipping). It will end up costing $55 for the book. Expensive, not worth it. I give them 5 star when they offer free shipping at the beginning.

darab13
12/31/14

I have used Picaboo for several years to produce calendars for my parents and my in-laws for Christmas. Additionally, I had produced a photobook of our wedding. I have been happy with all these purchases.

I was worried this Christmas (2014), as I saw many negative reviews about the quality decreasing over past years. The calendars that arrived were wonderful, as always. Very happy with the continued quality. In fact, my mother commented on a couple of the images that were old slides we've had converted...that they looked better and brighter than they ever have printed anywhere else. As well, I ordered the calendars on the last day that they guaranteed Christmas delivery and was pleasantly surprised that they arrived with at least a week to spare.

I can't really comment on customer service as I haven't had to deal with any unfortunate issues.

Something new I did learn this year. though.... if you have a Groupon/deal/etc and the expiry date passes, you do still have the purchase amount as credit, but you can't combine it with any other discount offers that might be happening. It seems you must use it for regular priced product. I'm not necessarily thrilled with that, but a)it's my own fault that I couldn't finish a project in the 6 months before expiry and b) there's enough special offers and sales out there that next time, I'll finish a project first and then wait for the deal to print it with. It seems to be an issue with the fact that that you can only use 1 code per order, so after you use your gift certificate code, you can't put in the code for the deal/sale pricing

aliciap7
12/23/14

Absolutely terrible costumer service!! I bought photo albums of my wedding for my family and my in-laws. They were not shipped in time to meet the deadline the company claimed they would meet (that the packages would arrive before the holiday season). One of the package's shipping got completely screwed up, Picaboo would not acknowledge the situation at all. The costumer service representative was rude and so unhelpful (I was being very kind and patient despite being very frustrated but she was still very rude). If I could put less than a star I would - DO NOT use this site for any cherished projects - I will most certainly not be using them again.

sarab28
12/7/14

Save your money and go elsewhere! We used a high-resolution image taken by a professional photographer, and it came out looking dark, so much that if we didn't need to send the photo cards out I would pay money to get them done elsewhere. In addition to the photo being very dark, the card itself was not aligned before it was cut, and part of a letter from the heading of the card on the left is cut off while on the right a small strip of white paper appears. Unacceptable! The actual process of designing the cards was annoying--every time you clicked on something, an image of a wood board would process before your eyes until the next screen was ready. Then, lots of unnecessary steps (to align the side of the card, which should just be a template), yet not enough flexibility in centering the actual picture. Horrible, horrible product and experience!

custor
11/21/14

Very poor quality printing. Horrible quality by pro standards, unacceptable quality by amateur standards. Customer service tried to blame my monitor (It's profiled) my cameras (Nikon 5100) and my photos. The color and brightness of the book did not match at all the photos on my profiled IMac, not even close. My pics look fine on many computers, but look like total crap on my Picaboo photo-book. Using this company is like burning money.

stevek48
11/1/14

Found this site while looking to see if anyone had written a review of the canvas prints they offer, but was surprised to see all the negative reviews here on their photo books.

I have made 3 different photo books, one for my wedding, honeymoon, and my son's first year. For the last one I even splurged for a Madison book (their really expensive option).

We have been really happy with the quality of the books.
I enjoyed the software here over some of the other sites that I gave up on. It is frustrating how long it takes photos to upload, but once they are loaded there are a lot of options that I didn't find on other sites.

I did not require much help customer service wise until my most recent order. A single photo was in two places on the same page instead of what I had thought it should have been based upon my layout. The company replaced my book for free

elizabethl29
10/20/14

I had the same problem as a previous reviewer. My photobook looked fine on three different computer monitors. Two PCs and one Apple macbook. When it arrived the pictures were darker and one picture that was taken in bright sunshine was very dark. I called customer service and sure enough they told me that my computer monitor settings were bright and because of the backlight all pictures appeared brighter than they would in print.

My brightness on 3 different computers was set to middle brightness. I took a picture of the book and they said yes it did print dark, but that's because the photo itself is dark. I told them it was not dark on the display of my DSLR and it was not dark on my computer. Yet they continued to tell me it was my fault. They told me to make the picture brighter on my computer and resubmit the book for a new order. However, I would have to pay shipping and taxes amounting to around $20! I told them I shouldn't have to pay for their error. And why should I need to brighten a picture that is fine.

I have had no problems with Shutterfly or My Publisher. It can't be a coincidence that other people have this problem. And also customer service was terrible. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told he wasn't there, but would call me back within 72 hours. I never received a phone call.

6 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Picaboo staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question