University of Phoenix reviews

Tempe, AZ 85282-2371
Tel: 866.766.0766

ashleyr136
9/17/17

I began the program and within two days, I made the decision to withdraw. They charged me $500 to do so and refuse to pay as I never made "attendance" that week. Absolute scam. You can tell that the classes and professors just assign busy work to make it seem intensive. PLEASE read reviews and stay away, I thought it was just all lies from disgruntled students, but it is the truth!

jenniferr214
8/29/17

University of Phoenix Online classes are a joke. I graduated with a 3.95 which I was very proud of, but after thing about it, I am not really that proud. The classes were not challenging in any way. All discussions with my classmates were minimal at best. Many people were getting credit for making the most ignorant statements and not giving the rest of us anything to work off of to make our daily comments. I did not learn a thing from any of my classes. With that being said, I am held monthly to extreme loan payments, which started out around $22,000 and have now ballooned up to over $45,000 now even with regular payments. When I signed up for school, I was not helped as I should have been with the process. I went to one of the campuses, set up with an "advisor" who did not ask me much at all...just pushed me to sign the papers for the loans. It is all about the money for them. No best interest of the student at all. The school is not worth anywhere near the original $22,000 I got loans on. When I tell people I got a degree from UoP, they laugh and ask why the heck I went that route. The school advertises their "education" on people who do not have another option...single parents, people who cannot get loans to attend other schools, etc. This is a bad practice and they should be ashamed to call themselves accredited. Taking my money to pay joke "professors" who I found out are just students themselves a lot of times. After I received an associate's degree, I was never even contacted to either move forward with my bachelors, or on how satisfied I was with the classes. I would not have moved ahead with them anyway, but that is what should have happened. I should have had some support. DO NOT ATTEND UoP Online. You will be very disappointed.

Tip for consumers: Run away quickly!

nicih
3/9/17

Worst school ever i ended up withdrawing and i enrolled in a different school. They just want your money and send you to collections do not waste your money and time or your creditscore for this big SCAM school. Trust me if you end up enrolling good luck you will need it!

toddo7
9/3/16

Only 7% of students graduate from this fictional college. Listing this "university" on your resume' will bring laughter from every employer. Do NOT waste your money on this scam like many others have.

tylerf16
7/10/16

Easy to take classes online, very happy.

advanz
5/15/16

Excellent!

lesliec42
4/1/16

I was enrolled the new emergency management program. I found that most of the students were unable to put two words together to make a coherent sentence. During one class, a student attempted to submit plagiarized work for a group project on more than one occasion. I appealed to the instructor three times and nothing was ever done. As the team leader, I made the appropriate changes to the work. The student filed a student code of conduct complaint against me. The school found that I was guilty of violating that students rights. REALLY??? She attempted to submit plagiarized work, and I got in trouble?! When the student threatened to "come find me and my family" I filed a complaint against her. What did the UOP do??? NOTHING! Don't waste your money. They'll accept anyone as long as you can pay. No wonder they're in financial trouble.

carad7
9/6/15

I think that most of the negativity about this school comes from people who are lazy and dont finish, or they quit going to class and have to pay for that class. Sure, anybody can get into this school, but who stays? The people that can actually handle the hard curriculum. I spend hours on my homework every week and i learn so much more than i did in brick and mortar schooling. This school is great. I haven't finished completely yet i am almost there and i have already found a job! Employers do not think negatively about this school, but you have to represent this school and show them what you have learned and how it applies to the job. You should also keep a high gpa. Don't listen to this negativity! I love this school, and i love being a phoenix.

gregy
5/6/13

My wife took some courses at the University of Phoenix and I can safely say it was a very poor investment. I am very skeptical that any of these online schools provide very much value. I don't if employers care about the degree, but there are enough free classes out there online I think that would be better and then if you want to go get a degree it can be from a real school.

phoenixr
6/9/12

I worked at UOP for over 2 years. I took advantage of the tuition assistance and earned my MBA. The MBA program was time consuming but not challenging. The work environment at UOP is dysfunctional and the management is completely incompetent. That translated into disrespect towards the employees. The attrition rate is very high. Over a year ago following awful press releases, UOP transitioned from a sales environment to a customer service business model. No one talks about number of enrollments anymore but there is still an underlying force to produce. To make matters worse the quarterly earnings reports for the past year have been dismal. Sometimes I hear comments about my degree not being accepted or recognized. I'm not sure if the rumors are true but it's very pervasive. UOP may have more MBA students enrolled than any other university and the numbers aren't even close but it doesn't mean it's a best school. I still depend on my bachelor degree from another university and my work experience to get me through. Going back to school is a big decision and it takes a lot of time and money. Choose wisely and buyer beware of UOP.

joshuak4
2/1/12

Horrible school, horrible customer service. I started one class and I tried to withdraw from the class because I had just started a new job and I was living in a hotel room for two weeks. In that time I fell behind. When I approached my instructor, she gave me pointers on how to try for a D. When the class was over I was told that if I had sought help to leave the class sooner they could have helped me. Because I didn't pass the class financial aid didn't cover it and I couldn't continue the class until I paid the $1700 for one class. They are over priced for such horrible customer service. They wont help in any way and they will mess up your credit. They also have no fear of the Better Business Bereau. Save yourself the effort and just register for online classes with a community college or your local state college.

timd6
3/19/11

The University of Phoenix is engaged in all sorts of shady marketing practices which include affiliate programs that will do anything to get prospective students to sign up. I almost fell for it. I wouldn't trust any company which condones these kinds of business practices.

crystalt
3/18/11

I WENT TO UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX AND THEY SENT ME SOME MONEY THEN THEY CAME BACK AND SAID THAT I WAS SUPOSE TO SEND THE MONEY BACK FOR A CLASS AND THEY WANT ME TO CHANGE MY AUTHORIZATION BACK TO THEM HANDLING MY FUNDS SO THE LAST CONVERSATION WE HAD THEY TOLD ME I MIGHT NOT GET MY STUDENT LOANS OR MY PELL BECAUSE I OWE A SOME MONEY DO ANYONE KNOW IF I WILL RECIEVE THE MONEY THAT I ALREADY WAS APPROVED FOR OR WILL THEY KEEP IT

richardl10
3/16/11

I was highly looking at this school but after reading these reviews I am reconsidering. I do think many people have heard about them so perhaps they are well recognized by companies...thoughts?

rossy
2/23/11

My son enrolled and went through one semester. He applied for a Pell grant and they got the money, but rather then use the Federal Pell Grant money, they used a bank loan and sent the Pell money back to the Government. They have been pursuing him for years trying to collect on that loan. Tell me, am I nuts or should they not have used the Pell instead of using a bank loan? I would not recommend this place to anyone.

williamh8
2/20/11

I took some accounting classes at the University of Pheonix and was disappointed by the quality of the courses and the response I received from employers after I graduated. In retrospect, I wish I would have saved my money or gone to a local college instead.

evans3
2/14/11

Like everyone else looking for a job I keep thinking that if I had more education or training or something I would get hired for a job. I don't have the time or money to go to a 4 year school. I can't even go part time to a local community college. I see everywhere they advertise online education at university of phoenix and they have the degrees I want to get. They have great loans and I was looking at their degree in information systems. If I am going to take out huge loans to do an online degree then I would hope that I could use it to get a job afterwards. I did some research online and what I found somewhat scared me. First everyone seems to say that a degree from this online school doesn't mean anything and second many call it a scam. They even have an entire website dedicated to this so called scam.

I understand that with any education it does not guarentee a job or a career and that it is only a stepping stone in that direction.

then I saw this video by the huffington post

The sad thing is that I really want to believe that if I can get an online education I can get a high paying job. Not sure I can risk this type of money. I read on the above report that only 2 percent of people enrolling graduate and that many defaut on their student loans at university of phoenix. I can't afford to go bankrupt again and my credit will be ruined.

If anyone has actually got a job after going to the university of phoenix I would like to know about that. I am sure some have and I know the people who complain make the most noise. Or are there other online schools that are more reputable?

brianw
3/16/09

schooling - Do you think you are to old for college? At 41 I am going back to college to get my degree. Now a days, there are grants out there to back to college and payed to do it, plus get money back every semster. Online college is not easy, but anything worth it , should be hard.

Helpful answer

Questions? Get answers from the University of Phoenix staff and other customers.

University of Phoenix?