US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

frankz32
8/4/16

I emailed customer support at least three times asking for a resolution to my problem, and received no response. Then, realizing I would get no satisfaction via email, I unsuccessfully scoured the website for a phone number. Even when I clicked on a FAQ that promised a phone number, I was again directed only to the customer help email - no phone number. By chance, I happened on an opportunity to opt-out of having my personal information listed on People Smart; that process required that an email be sent to me, which contained a link I had to click to confirm that I wanted my personal information removed. Only at that final step of clicking the link was a customer support phone number provided. And this was entirely by accident!
It's clear that had I not traveled that labyrinthine, time consuming, frustrating and accidental process of discovery, I never would have had my problem satisfactorily handled by a CSR.

Tip for consumers: PeopleSmart customer support phone # (as of 08-03-2016. They'll probably change it now.): 1-888-906-4278. If it changes, go through the process of opting-out.

lauram187
7/11/16

Can never log in, it always says incorrect password even though i reset it more than 5 times. They dont give you a direct number to contact them.

joshf39
7/1/16

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS WEBSITE. I found more information via Social Media than this crap website. Did not produce a phone number, location, records, email, etc.

frankk53
6/13/16

The lead page suggested the site had phone, address, email, etc for the person I was trying to locate. After a one time fee was paid, they produced NOTHING! A complete mis-representation and I would recommend you stay the heck away. They obviously are in the business of mis-representing what they can offer!

mc505
6/9/16

I was using this service in the attempt to locate a persons address and all I got was a phone number. This is the first time i use a service like this but I paid $4.95 for a phone number I didn't need and didn't get the address I was looking for. Of coarse I was told I needed to pay an extra $49.99 for a "Premium Report" that included the address, which luckily I didn't fall for. Please stay away from this site, you have been warned.

sheilam59
5/13/16

This is an awful site, they do not tell you that they will charge you monthly fee and by the time I realized they had charged 200 dollars. It is an awful experience. BeenVerified has better rates, exact info and is more honest than this company. I would expect they should return my money as I did not use the service at all anymore after the first month. However I am unsure if they will agree to do that given the way their site is set up.

ak445
3/28/16

I have never used this service. Charged my credit card! Tried to 'sell me' over the phone on the idea that this was such a current bargain and that rates had increased substantially (they haven't) since I signed up (which I didn't). Wouldn't, at least , pro-rate a refund --- it was too late for a charge back on my credit card. I think they are unethical.

seymourk7
3/10/16

Same as the "Misleading Canadian Consumer" post. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE IF YOU ARE IN CANADA.

It doesn't work, and they do not tell you it does not work, for Canadian's - and they will refuse to refund you for a service you paid for, but received no product!!!

With all the bad reviews about similar issues - maybe it's time to talk to lawyers?

ez507
3/8/16

Canadian buyers beware - This service is misleading to Canadian consumers. It is NOT disclosed the service is unusable for Canadian search's up front.
- After completing a cursory search, before looking at a membership, PeopleSmart indicated I could obtain details in Canada.
- Account purchased based on the supposed availability of these details for Canadians.
- Search completed, and the information is not available. Attempted another search, same results; not available within Canada.
- Account promptly cancelled (we're talking less than 30 minutes)

A refund was requested and they are denying the refund request, even though the service is, again; unusable in my area (this should have been disclosed by the company up front), no results were generated and membership cancelled in a very short period of time.

rons76
2/5/16

Requested a criminal history report on a person and paid $39.95 for it. It is so lacking in information so as to be worth very little. I was interested in the criminal history. Several offense categories listed with dates and cause numbers. However, the state and court information and dispositions just show N/A. I just wasted 40 bucks!

After using PeopleSmart, I am getting lots of spam to my email address. Perhaps just a coincidence but others have mentioned a similar experience.

nancyb125
2/5/16

Do not give them your information! They are a scam service! None of the information they give is correct worst 30$ I've ever wasted

kim2135
12/29/15

Kim C. at people smart admitted to illegally removing funds from my checking account AFTER CANCELLING BEFORE THE 7 DAY FREE TRIAL, PARTIALLY refunded it... Refunded the other part after i advices that the transaction was illusion...but refused to pay the overdraft fee accessed due to the company error. #scam small claims court here I come... $500 beats $15 ANY DAY!

brianc97
11/19/15

PeopleSmart is a big SCAM. I did a background investigation for $49. I got more information doing a Google search. In addition to the $49 that I paid , there were 2 more charges of $14.95 each which I did not authorize. I canceled my service the very next day. When I received my bank statement it showed that PeopleSmart had continued to bill me after I canceled. When I called PeopleSmart they claimed that I had ordered an ID theft service that I knew nothing about. When I called to cancel they said I just canceled the search services and not the ID Theft. Stay away from these crooks.

jasonc106
10/23/15

Should of checked here first. They give you the same info you can find on the internet with a Google search for the one-time fee. After you pay for same google info they blank out info and tell you, you need to upgrade your account. I paid 9.95 for info already listed on Google then they asked me to upgrade for more info>
AAAARRRGGGGG

as2767
10/13/15

Simply said, these people are crooks. Their charges mysteriously appear month after month. The phone number they provide leads you to some nutty recording that attempts to sell yet more nonsense. If you are lucky enough to reach them their promises to cancel the charge go unfulfilled.

These people should be put in jail.

micheleb39
9/23/15

This site will continue to charge you after you have requested cancellation, called their customer service line and emailed them repeatedly to refund what you were charged after YOUR request for cancellation and their clarification of cancelled service and no further charges. Their service is okay, but dealing with them afterwards is a nightmare. Only want to refund less than half of what was charged after request for cancellation.

Tip for consumers: Just don't do it.

lestherb
9/23/15

Do not even think to waste your money here. I paid 20 just for the phone numbers, and addresses that I already know, nothing else. And to make it worst they charged my 20 bucks more next month because is a membership fees wrote in small letters, when you are just looking for one time information. Please take my advise "DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE". I loss $40 for nothing, and never get a penny back.

garym88
9/10/15

Peoplesmart lowered the amount of info for the same price..... They used to included the person's age with your search.,.,,, Now they give you a "ball park" age, ie; late 20's early 40's mid 60's..etc..... They used to give the exact age but instead implemented this weak substitute.... I emailed them with this complaint & all they said was they were sorry to hear my disapproval, but never gave an explanation...... It was treated like, "So What" attitude.....I guess when you make the big money, you can turn your back & ignore the people......

lawrencet10
9/6/15

I suspect this only works for the US market ... it is not suitable (doesn't work) for the Canadian market.

unsatisfiedc3
7/22/15

No question a complaint: People's Mart did the same with me, charged me the one time low fee, and set me up for monthly payment. For which they did not send a e-mail confirmation or receipt. I tried to cancel my membership and the screen would keep trying to keep me from canceling. I had to hit cancel 6 times to get a screen that said cancel. Clearly this is a rip off company. It seems to be a scam fix on the site to get you to agree to something you have no clue you are agreeing to. He said I should have gotten a confirmation e-mail on the membership! I did not. I have all their e-mails in my e-mail system. NO confirmation e-mail. Someone needs to stop this company from scamming people.

eg226
7/13/15

The site will ask for your email address, then when you submit your information, you get a notice "The recapture has been failed". The next day you start receiving spam.
DO NOT USE THIS SITE, THEY ONLY EXIST TO COLLECT EMAIL ADDRESS TO SPAM!

annd12
7/1/15

Last July 2014, I used this service once for a $1 fee. The confirmation email containing the statement, "After your trial period, you will be charged $19.95 for your PeopleSmart membership and it will automatically renew upon expiration at the same price every month unless canceled," went to my SPAM email. After carefully reviewing my credit card statements, I discovered today that I have been charged every month for a year! Costumer service refunded only three of those payments. I feel completely abused and defrauded by PeopleSmart.

sandrab57
6/30/15

I forgot to check out the reviews BEFORE paying for a search! RIPOFF is a mild word to use. It clearly stated that satisfaction was guaranteed. BS...I knew the phone number and that it belonged to a woman but their report gave me a man. SHAME on you PeopleSmart...paybacks are hell and yours is coming one day. Shame on all of you.

annak61
6/25/15

terrible customer service - bill you regardless of impossible cancellation
If I could give them a Negative # review I would

melanyl
6/3/15

They charged me 14.95$ and 174.90$ for a years service, that I did not order. Called to cancel it and they, people check, claimed that no charges were made. But the money was taken out of my bank account. Had to get new card to stop them. SCAM artist.

6 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the PeopleSmart staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question