US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

rickieo2
1/16/17

Me thinks they sold me a refurbished piece o crap chair. Too many pops and clicks with lateral movement. Very annoying. New chair should not do this.

jd201
1/10/17

I work from, sitting straight for periods of 10-14 hours a day. I need a good chair and these are the best, however pricey. I decided to go with the Aeron by Herman Miller and chose Madison Seating for a refurb and I couldn't be happier. The chair came well insulated in a big box my children later turned into a playhouse. The chair parts are like new, you can't tell it's refurbed, one bit. That was my main concern because I've used these chairs at previous offices and you can tell when they have been used, but not this one. They carefully inspected and cleaned all parts. From the time I ordered it, my chair arrive in about 10 days. I love it.

jacobo12
1/6/17

I needed 3 chairs for my home office. To be on the safe side I decided to start with buying just one and get the other two at later date. I bought Herman Miller Aeron from Madison Seating.

After the chair had arrived I noticed that it had few defects.

One was a minor defect. Right armrest would not swing out at first and then swing too out very loosely. The other one was more serious. The chair was losing height. I prefer to sit high so I noticed this after just few days of using it. After a full day the chair would be down by an inch or so.

After I returned the chair to Madison Seating I noticed that they deducted $50 from my refund for restocking fee.

I wrote to them and asked to have the fee waived. Since the product had defects I should not have been penalized with restocking fee. The rep told me that they had examined the chair and didn't find any issues. They also "strongly" suggested that I got a larger chair to better support my weight. They had one in stock. So, in a single e-mail they implied that: a) I lied about the defects; b) I was too fat and needed bigger chair. Not too subtle.

I wrote back to them and I said that I weigh 200 pounds I that I already use regular Herman Miller Aeron chair at work and it supports my weight just fine. At that point I was told to speak to the supervisor.

All the following attempts to reach the supervisor were not successful. I wrote and nobody responded. I called and didnt get meaningful responses. At this point, it is very clear that Madison Seating does not intend to give me a full refund.

I am posting this as a warning to other buyers. Dont be fooled by super low prices from Madison Seating. You will pay for it in the end. I am going to spend a little bit more money and buy my 3 chairs from a reputable company, like Wayfair, Overstock, or Amazon.

daveh117
12/21/16

Ordered counter stools, but they were out of stock. Said they would ship as soon as back in stock. True to their word, they shipped them promptly--on Wed, received on Fri. Free shipping! Totally unexpected to get them that quickly--though for sure it would be at least a week, if not more. Way to go!

karag10
12/20/16

The first time they shipped the chair it had a back that was larger than the seat. They would not send a return until after they received the wrong merchandise. They sent the replacement and you still cant get the back to install. You would think they would check merchandise to ensure it works correctly, especially when it was already returned because it did not work!

Tip for consumers: Buy local, where you can make sure the product you buy can actually be assembled.

karenc184
12/19/16

Excellent place to get good quality at cheap prices. The website was easy to use and the customer service excellent. Even though you don't get to see the furniture before you buy the fact that it's free delivery and free return makes it a worry free experience. The dining table set we bought is awesome. Furniture is sturdy, good looking and comfortable.

conradh20
12/12/16

Their "satisfaction guarantee" is false advertising and worthless. Even though they say you have 30 days to return an item and they will pay the return shipping, this is a lie. Hidden in their terms and conditions, they state that not only is the customer liable to pay return shipping, they also charge a $50 restocking fee. The Aeron chair we ordered was too small, and between shipping and restocking fee, it is costing $216 to return the chair.

As for the chair itself, they do indicate that they are open box. This is true, but a bit deceptive. They are essentially used chairs that Madison Seating refurbishes. They claim they provide a 10-year warranty for their Aeron chairs, but given how untrustworthy their "satisfaction guarantee" is, I wouldn't trust this one bit. The chair I got was in good condition, and did look practically new, so if you can be sure you're getting what you want the first time, it can still be a good deal.

Also, their shipping was VERY SLOW. Estimated arrival was 8-10 business days from the date it was ordered, well, it was over 2 weeks before they even made a shipping order, and then another 3 days before they finally shipped it.

In conclusion, if you are sure you know exactly what you want, and you can't find a better price for a nearly-new chair, Madison may still be your best option. Just be aware of what you're getting into.

Update 12/14/2016: Madison is now threatening legal action because of my reviews pointing out their dishonesty. At this point, I cannot recommend this company under any circumstances.

I have photo proof of the purchase, screenshot proof of their lies on their website, which at this point, anyone can still see for themselves, and if they change it, I'm quite certain Google cache will still reveal the truth to anyone who cares.

DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY.

Tip for consumers: This company cannot be trusted, period.

timothyr28
9/20/16

Overall very impressed with MadisonSeating. Saw a very nice table and chairs on the webiste and glad i order them from the Madison-Seating website. The price was very competitive and the two times I rang them they were friendly and helpful. The table arrived on the day they promised by a hard working team. The table arrived in good condition and looks fantastic. Glad I made the right choice and would recommend.Thanks Racek

sarahk94
9/8/16

Very happy with my new dining table and chairs, looks like a more expensive set than what I paid. Had my grandson to help with the fixing together, needed a little more strength than I have, but easy enough for him. Delivery men phoned when en route. An easy experience all round and wouldn't hesitate dealing with Madison seating again if the need should arise. Thank You

justinc73
9/6/16

Lovely chair and comfortable and has lumbar support which helps the bad back.

juanelll
9/6/16

Fantastic mattress will buy more in a few years when we hopefully move to our bigger house

maldoniag
9/6/16

We have brought lots of furniture from MadisonSeating furniture store over the years and found them to be very friendly and helpful

johnj296
6/29/16

Extremely happy with my purchase, the service team promptly responded my questions, order status were timely communicated, and super fast shipping, item was properly packaged arrived intact

mikeb262
5/14/16

Read lots of good, and lots of bad reviews about Madison after I placed my order and I almost tried to cancel it because I was kind of worried. My chair arrived within the time window they said it would, the box was a little beat up, but the chair was packed pretty well so it didnt suffer any damage. The chair looks VERY close to new, a light scratch on one of the arms and some dust..easy to overlook for the huge price savings..the important parts of the chair look brand new. Very glad I decided to give them a try..if I need anything else I'll certainly check with them again!

jacobs81
4/13/16

I think Madisoneating.com is has the best prices and customer service around. Ordered several different brand name chairs to outfit my new office space. The sales agent helped me select the right ones and the prices were incredible. The open box chairs came in perfect condition. Will most certainly be back to buy again!!

kenj108
3/24/16

I ordered a Herman Miller Aeron and paid extra for the larger C size. I am not an exert on these chairs and assumed that they had sent me the correct size. About 22 months later, another vender (selling headrests) asked me to check the size of the chair based on the number of small bumps on the back - lo and behold, they had sent me a smaller "B" sized chair.

When I tried to switch out the chair I was simply told there is a 30 day warranty. The extra $49 I paid for the larger chair I never received was not refunded and I am stuck with the wrong sized chair for my frame. I am extremely disapointed.

anitav6
3/15/16

I love my new chair. My favorite part about the chair is that the arms move in and out so I can get closer to my desk and key board.

julissav
2/18/16

I was determined to purchase a Herman Miller chair without spending over $1000. Low and behold Madisonseating provided the perfect price for exactly what I was looking for.

I suffer from extreme lower back pain.I called in regards to this particular product line and the representative took his time going over all of the details and features that would suit my particular needs. With his help Finalizing my purchase for the Aeron highly adjustable chair with the posture fit was a no brainer. It arrived within the 10-14 business day delivery time frame as promised and I honestly couldn't have been more excited. Although its advertised as an open box special, my chair arrived in MINT condition. The representatives are always a pleasure to speak with and they always respond to all of my emails almost immediately.

Bottom line, if you're looking for a great office chair at an amazing price Madisonseating is the place to go.

dinag5
1/26/16

I think Madisonseating.com is an awesome company. Im glad I didnt base my purchase on the last few reviews posted.

As far as their open box specials are concerned, I have been placing orders for my company with Madisonseating.com since 2012. We have never had an issue with the quality of the chairs. We saved thousands of dollars and received nothing less than top notch chairs. We requested warranty service on a few arms, as many of our employees tend to push the chair under the desk. The warranty service was seamless and interacting with the customer service staff was great.

If you are looking to receive quality brand name chairs at the lowest prices around, this is the website for you.

chanam2
1/26/16

I recently received a large shipment of ergonomic office chairs from Madisonseating.com. I am not only impressed with the excellent condition of the chairs but the crazy savings I received on my purchase. Being a start up company, I am extremely conscious of every dollar I spend. I stumbled onto Madisonseating.coms website while searching on Amazon for some good deals on brand name chairs. I saw they had excellent reviews so I decided to contact them directly regarding any additional discounts they can afford me if I ordered a large quantity. I was transferred to their corporate sales department and spoke to a nice young lady who was extremely knowledgeable on the chairs and did infact award me a special volume discount rate. The chairs arrived with Fedex and required just a simple assembly. I am hoping to do more hires before the summer and will most definitely come back to Madisonseating.com for additional chairs. Their prices are the lowest and they had terrific service to boot!!"

gr4699
1/26/16

Sent what looked like a refurbished chair, with no notice of that on the site when I ordered. Pieces were scratched, and generally looked to be in "used" condition. The cost to send it back is so prohibitive, its not worth it (assuming thats what they bank on). Beyond this, I received a bill for advancement fees and duty from fedex (this is fine, I accept this, and paid it in full) but then two months later, I received another unauthorized charge from madison seating for over 60$. They said that FedEx told them to charge me that fee for additional customs entrance.

Talked to customer service a few times over the phone and email, and they did nothing for me.

miket113
1/17/16

Very disappointed. Ordered from another country, when the chair came, I find that this is not a new chair leap and refurbished. Painting of the back is made not qualitatively, also cheaper fabric is not pleasant to the touch. At that nowhere on the website do not specify that the chair is not new.

daves157
1/12/16

They sell 10 year old rusty products as new,

stevenw72
1/11/16

I previously had posted about not receiving a refund for a returned chair. I posted a very negative review. I then received an email from Madison Seating saying they mailed the check about 45 days earlier to my address except there was no suite number. I will have to take their word for it. They are sending me a check to my complete address, suite number included. So I had the following issues:
1. Chair advertised was black. Once added to cart it was sahire. I did not re-check the color in the cart hence the return.
2. Return received by Madison Seating was never processed to refund me.
3. I called and emailed many times and could speak with nobody who could resolve my issue.
4. They said they mailed me a check 45 days earlier but nobody told me this.

The mitigating circumstances to all this is the amount of time that had passed. Approximately a year and a half had past before I discovered I had not been reimbursed on my Mastercard. I had furnished an office and did not discover the missing reimbursement until I was doing my taxes. Per their office they cannot research back that long over the phone. In all fairness, assuming I receive my replacement check, I cannot say they did not make things right. I can say I did not speak with anybody to help me until after I posted my previous really bad review.

cg57
12/16/15

I ordered a Steelcase Criterion char from Madison Seating and learned some hard lessons when attempting to get replacement parts (wheels).

Per the policy page, http://www.madisonseating.com/terms-of-use.html, "Open Box" simply means that the item has been removed from its original packaging. The chair was returned, refurbished, reconditioned, or the price has been reduced due to an overstock of open box inventory.

But, what they do not tell you is that the serial/model number tag will also be removed from the char. Per email interchange "again, the serial number must be removed as the chairs are not covered by the Steelcase warranty". Without this information it is very difficult to get replacement parts. It is also very difficult to determine what chair was actually purchased. Although a current Criterion chair sells for ~800 and Madison Seating sells their open box version for ~150, Steelcase (based on photo) estimate that my chair was made in the 2000s based on pin configuration in the base.

Bottom line, I would not use Madison Seating again for any 'open box' item or any other chair that is not covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

3 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the MadisonSeating staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
sm959
S M.
on 11/26/16
Answer
madisons20
madison s. [MadisonSeating Rep]
A: Thank you for your interest in Madison Seating, currently the largest retailer in North America for brand name office chairs at the lowest prices possible!

The "Open Box Specials" featured on our website are a great way to save money on the best selling chairs on the market today.

"Open Box" simply means, the item is out of the original packaging. The chair was either, returned, refurbished, on display or has been in inventory for awhile and since been placed on a clearance.

The merchandise is in perfect working condition and 100% authentic.

In addition, you will be provided with a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee and 10-year Madison Seating warranty.

We are so confident that our prices are currently the lowest on the internet we are willing to not only match but beat anyone selling these item(s) at a lower cost.
on 11/30/16
on 2/14/16
Answer
sheilal22
Sheila L.
A: My chair appears to be refurbished from 2007! I bought it "brand new" in 2012, turns out it was not. Read my review about Human Scale chairs (dated 10/18/2016).
on 10/18/16