Review of Ixquick

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

frankb110
4/25/16

I was looking for a Google alternative, and Ixquick seemed like the best of all worlds - no tracking, privacy, and provides Google results anonymously - Wow! Well, like most things that seem too good to be true, it's very likely not true. And that's certainly the case with Ixquick, which is actually not Ixquick but Startpage.

The real problem here is that the returned search results are nothing compared to what you would get with Google. You can test it for yourself. The search results are surprisingly horrible, and in some cases unusable, e.g., getting zero results on a set of search terms with Ixquick (aka Startpage) while Google provides hundreds of matches.

Privacy on the internet, especially when doing searches, is something that cannot be overemphasized. I will not use Google because of their data mining practices. Nevertheless, a search engine must have some useful capacity comparatively speaking, and Ixquick (aka Startpage) just doesn't cut it.

I guess it's back to DuckDuckGo for me, which is not that great either but far far better than Ixquick. I'm growing more and more doubtful that it's even possible to come up with a true alternative to Google while providing the type of online privacy sorely needed today.

martinf33
3/24/15

ixquick.de, or allso known as startpage.com offers this service as a private organisation. They say that they don't save your IP-Adress and don't use tracking-cookies. They suggest your surfing is sure.
Fact is:
- There are no trackingtools recognized of any tracking blocker
- They search with google, forwarding your question.
For everithing else we only have their word not to do things with your data you don't want to. There is no transparence how they finance this page, and no transparence what pupose they have to offer this service for free.
This could be a page of any secret service or private sniffing organisation as well as someone who offers it for a good ethik pupose. Nobody knows and every one can judge to themself what is more likely.

nayad1
3/6/15

Ixquick high credibility and fast and quick searches with high security level searches are relevant to my questions and then reduces, restricts data mining.

luettal
3/2/14

I am looking for a 'Safe Search Engine and because I saw this in an article I was reading -->- > [So I Ixquicked " (Ixquick, that's my favorite search engine ("the world's most private search engine")), <-- I searched ixquick and @ this point I rated this Site JABBER Website 5 Star & want to tell the entire world!
I will come back to this Website and report my experience and pray my experience will confirm Ixquick, is the answers to my prayers. and I will tell the world. I read & like --> Read Review Guidelines. Thank you, Sincerely, for providing this safe search engine for Good people. The 'World' needs you. I will be back. I do get confused when a different name comes up from what I have searched. I will Register then tour this website.- Love. from me.

bv7
2/12/13

A great site for privacy while using a search engine to browse.....

omegar
1,562 helpful votes
11/19/11

I agree that this site is a wonderful search engine because it does not record one's IP address and that means I am able to protect myself online.

Here is the claim made by this search engine:

"Ixquick search results are more comprehensive and more accurate than other search engines. Ixquick's unique capabilities include an Advanced Search, a global search and power refinement."

I would have to agree with them personally and I intend to make them one of my regular search engines from now on.

skyk
8/7/10

Ixquick is a new search engine that respects the privacy of its users. Their results are quite accurate and the best thing is that they claim that they keep absolutely no records of ip addresses and search strings. ( as you know Google maintains a detailed user profile for everyone that uses its services )

2 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Ixquick staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
gordona13
Gordon A.
on 12/21/16
Answer
robertb175
Robert B. [Ixquick Rep]
A: Hi Gordon, whether your browser is saving or watching what you're doing online, depends on the browser you're using. Your browser may retain a history of your visits and terms entered into form fields. Unfortunately, StartPage is not in a position to give any guarantees on what browsers store. It may be helpful to visit their private browsing/ anonymous information pages, and see what exactly it is they store. It would also help to define what exactly it is you wish to protect, i.e., search history, what you type into a field, where you browse, etc. - this will help you research the best way to protect yourself using a given browser. Hope this helps!
on 12/23/16
on 12/6/15
Answer
robertb175
Robert B. [Ixquick Rep]
A: There is a recent article out that compares StartPage with DuckDuckGo that you might find helpful: http://securityspread.com/2016/10/24/duckduckgo-startpage-2016-update/ In addition, we just published an article thanking privactytools.io for naming StartPage a recommended search engine. This article lists some of the important features we offer: https://www.startpage.com/blog/our-latest-developments/privacytools-io-recommends-startpage-for-private-search/
on 12/23/16
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the Ixquick staff and other customers.

Ixquick?