Review of Hoveround

Sarasota, FL 34232, US
Tel: 1-800-542-7236

kenc89
7/31/17

Chair is falling apart in 2 years. We think we were given a used chair, for a new one. When we checked the batteries after 3 months, one was disconnected. The controls have gone bad, and a motor is going out. No help from the company. Go elsewhere.

bobm239
7/31/17

My father purchased a hover round in 2016. The chair is supposed to be warranted for a year but as we found out after waiting on hold for an hour this does not include the battery. This is on top of the questionable practice of leading him to believe that the chair would be covered by Medicare when it was not.

cindyp81
7/26/17

My dad has 2 Hoverounds because they are so un-reliable, he switches them out. I called to get the recliner chair for the Hoveround to help him take naps in it. I placed an order having being on hold forever. Called yesterday to check on the order and was transferred 3 times after they told me the order # they gave me belonged to someone else, then placed in queue and was #20 in queue. Called back today and waited 1/2 hr again.Talked to a rude person that said they are waiting for insurance approval and then will ship. I asked if they would notify me when it shipped and he said no. I just have to call back and wait in queue again if I want status. Horrible customer service that does not care what so ever. I believe they are ripping off insurance companies and customers with their high prices and horrible service.

marlar1
7/7/17

I got my chair in 2006. I need sercice on the chair and it has been 4 months now!!! I cannot go from the bedroom to the kitchen without it dying!! They get a 1 because 0 is not an option!!!!!!

patricab
6/30/17

5 months 4 sets of defective batteries china made 1 set motors wiring harness same problem within 3 weeks cant make it to the mailbox and back called co rep said made in usa repairman says made in china that's whats labled on batteries good service defective product first hoveround no complaint you cant cure china crap

samueld30
5/27/17

My Hoveround started acting the first day I got it. And when you call for a repair man .You never get one. I had to get set of battery s 3 times in a year. And had to replace the wheels 2 times with in a year. And you had to change the wheels your self the repairman are not responsible for changing tires or batterys so I had to pay someone to do those things. And had to replace joy stick controller and this was in the 1st year. And when you call to get parts they treat you like you don't know what you are talking about. For every parts you need they got to get the doctor approval. And that takes a week to get the paper work. And you can't do anything because your stranded at home because your waiting on parts.

markc292
5/18/17

Junk company,another company that screw over the medicare system,anything for a buck!chair sucks ,no adjustable seats unless you pay extra,freaking retards think people with bad backs can sit on this uncomfortable chair all day wrong

johnr468
5/5/17

Worst service ever. 30 minute hold them hangs up on me. 30 more minutes. Then tells a Parylyzed person to Chang a battery

andreas369
4/15/17

How come your batteries never last anymore. My wife first got your chair in 2005 and it lasted very well for 7 years. Then she received your new chair mpv5 and the batteries are absolute junk. They never last they have had to be replaced 3 times which takes you weeks to come out and replace. I am going to use our FSA to buy a brand new chair from someone NOT hoveround. Also I promise I am not the only customer you will lose. It's just a given with shoddy materials and awful customer service. I complained and asked about the batteries not lasting and the man on the phone just replied in a non empathic way that batteries sometimes are bad. Yeah several times. You lost us. Thanks for the time we had but now I must dump you.

marilynt25
3/30/17

When my husband went from strait medicare to Humana, Hoveround refused to send Humana the paperwork which they had from the doctor which they submitted to get the chair approved to begin with. I called and asked them to do this every week for months. Finally, Humana denied the claim for the rest of the chair because Hoveround would not provide them with the paperwork. We were told we had to make the rest of what was owed (over $1200) in three payments or they were coming out to take back the chair. I was able to borrow the money for 2 months of it. We are on the final month, there is approximately $500 owed and we cannot pay it. They are now going to take back the chair from a totally disabled man that cannot walk at all. Now he will have to crawl on the floor to even go to the toilet.

brandym21
3/20/17

This place absolutely sucks....Do not buy from them, I'd rather crawl everywhere then sit in one of their chairs ever again..Wish I didn't have to give one star

jacklynk
2/27/17

I've had my Hoveround for 3-1/2 yrs. Original batteries lasted 3 yrs. Bought new batteries from Hoveround & technician came out & installed. Batteries went out in 3 months & then Hoveround sent replacement batteries as the batteries are warranted for 6 months. These replacement batteries went out after 2 months & then Hoveround said they only warrant batteries 1 time & after 1st time of sending replacement batteries for a bad set THEY sent, the replacement batteries are not warranted at all. So for 3rd batteries I bought from Amazon - 1/2 price, no shipping cost & 1 yrs warranty. However these still won't hold charge & my son took apart Hoveround & found 1 rear tire had worn out inside & "might" be causing enough drag to cause batteries to discharge when using. Bought new tire on Amazon for 1/2 what Hoveround charges, but didn't help as I still have to charge it every time I use it, after about 10 minutes run time. Very comfortable chair, but their service is almost nonexistent & I would not buy another one. Had to pay entire cost of chair myself as they said Medicare wouldn't cover even tho dr. & 2 different P.T. said I needed it. For it to last only 3-1/2 yrs for what I pd for it is highway robbery. When Sr. home I live in said I needed tie downs, I called Hoveround & they did put metal rods on chair underneath the seat for tie down & much better than cloth tie downs, but had to pay labor & cost of metal tie down rods. These should be on chair before they ever deliver it originally. Still don't know why batteries keep having to be recharged after 10 min of use & don't believe Hoveround will help.

julieb191
2/10/17

My mom has had her power hoveround wheelchair for approximately 2 years now. After 1 year, already had to have a new battery. Now another year later (2 years of owning chair), it now needs a "power stick" to the tune of $900!! This chair is mainly used indoors, so is not exposed to the outdoors much. Expensive and inconvenient ride!!

phoebem7
1/19/17

I transport many people in many different chairs. There are 4 tiedowns to hook to the chair and tighten. A passenger got on with a Hoveround Mpv5, and there was nothing to hook the tiedowns on. Anyone in a chair sees Doctors regularly, how are they supposed to get there, drive their chair 5 miles in traffic? I called Hoveround to find out how to tie the chair down, they told me you cant, it's not built with tiedowns because the insurance won't pay for that. The tiedowns should be standard, like the footrest(??or does Hoveround charge for that also?). Putting hookups for tiedowns would cost the company at the MOST, $10, and I believe in actuality it would be under $5. I'm waiting to talk to the ADA, there's no excuse for this.

And to the lady that said she didn't have the money to sue for the problems with her Moms chair. Talk to a lawyer they usually don't get paid till you win, and it's a percentage of what you win. Good luck, these people need to be shut down.

susany23
12/9/16

I have a jazzy also and I haven't scooter now but I should have gotten to begin with that's what I want it but they decided to send me a crap as chair are we have a chair it's a jazzy it goes everywhere and anywhere you can go in the same can go in the mud go anywhere and it doesn't get stuck they're a bunch of $#*!s they think that there's any good plus what you get flat tires because they couldn't put good tires on there like that that's where all the way through that's what we need we need a flat tire out someplace idiots

charlesb151
10/7/16

Buy from anyone but them, you call for service and your 27 in line, finality get them and they say Charlie will call you... he never do. My lift license light went out in May 16 and i have yet top get them to fix it and its October 16 and they quoted me a price of $630 to fix it.

bernadettem5
10/3/16

I wanted to get this chair for my mother as she is 89 years old and keeps falling. I scheduled an appointment for her only which we kept, notified Hoveround that she kept it and waited.
Finally after 45 days, I received a call that they had not received the paperwork. I again scheduled another appointment and 4 days later received a phone call that the paperwork was not complete. Prior to being a full time caregiver for my mother, I spent 30 years in the health insurance industry. I cannot believe that they expect their customer(disabled or elderly) to contact the doctor. In my experience with medical providers, THEY contact the doctor and the insurance company. To expect the patient to contact the doctor is pure laziness on the company's part. When a form is not complete it is their responsibility to contact the doctor. Hoveround is making the profit, they should not rely on the customer to be the mediator between them and the doctor. It is poor company practice and I would advise everyone this is not customary to have the patient contact the doctor. It just makes for frustration and confusion.

megp6
8/15/16

The chair is okay. The support after sale does NOT exist. They are happy to send you parts and pray that solves your problem. If not, you're stuck with that expense and still no technician to come help you. I'm 64 years old. It was suggested that I lift the front wheels up and run the motor to see if I could give them more info. Excuse me? I'm supposed to lift the chair? I'm supposed to buy $145 of parts and pray that works? If you don't have a tech living with you, fixing a Hoveround is up to you. Stay away from these people like the plague. If you buy one of their chairs, you are buying into being a wheelchair technician. They do not care once the sale is made.

coralg
8/11/16

THESE PEOPLE HAVE NO CARES FOR THEIR PATIENTS. I WORK AT A DOCTORS OFFICE AND IT TOOK 3 MONTHS FOR THEM TO FINALLY ACCEPT THE PAPERWORK AFTER THE DOCTOR HAD ORDERED THE WHEELCHAIR. ONCE THE PRODUCE WAS DELIVERED IT WAS SO UNSAFE FOR THE PATIENT THAT EVEN THE TECH THAT DELIVERED IT SAID IT WAS UNSAFE. AS A NURSE AT A DOCTORS OFFICE I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THESE PEOPLE TO ANYONE. EVER.

terryb106
7/8/16

My Hoveround MPV5 chair bought through Medicare will shut off very unexpectedly. I have been tossed on the ground about 5 times. Hoveround maintenance man said it can't be fixed. The problem is built in. I would like to trade it for a Jazzy. I don't recommend anyone buying a Hoveround unless they don't mind being thrown to the ground.It also has sharp edges that stick out and damage walls, doorways and furniture.. Call me and i will tell you more. tb

gracejm
6/27/16

We got my mom a Hoveraround MPV5 after her last chair no longer worked. She had one from the Scooter Store a Jazzy that lasted 7 years. She got the Hoveraround in Feb of 2015. Biggest piece of junk that I have ever seen that she is now stuck with. 1st problem.. arms are too high and power joystick is not adjustable, 2nd..flat tires... 3rd battery life sucks and now am having to go thru them for replacement batteries. Chair charges overnight to get maybe 5 to 10 mins of use before having to be charged again. I wish I would have know that Medicare would work with other companies before she went with Hoveraround. She paid her part for 13 months and now customer service is rude, does not want to hear complaints and will do nothing for us. They hassel the dr office for paperwork. Often saying it is not complete. Last time to get her approved for the chair it was every day for 3 weeks that the dr spent filling out various forms sometimes 4 and 5 times with the same information , providing x-rays and medical proof only to get another form back to be filed. They do not have this problem with other companies. I think they use sub standard parts so that they break and the batteries are horrible. All I know is my mom used her Jazzy for 7 years and only had to have it fixed once. It was easier to manuver and more comfortable for her. I really think that Hoveround should be held accountable for their crappy product, but I don't have the money to pursue it in a court or I would have. Now I am stuck with a sub standard chair that my mom relies on for another 4 and a half years until she can get a new one thru insurance and at that time I will make sure to find a company that has a good reputation and tack record to make sure she gets what she needs. It is an unfair abuse, and unfair to seniors that cannot walk and have to rely on these chairs to get around. Buyer beware. Extremely unhappy in NY.....

Just wanted to add the following as of 9/9/16... Mom got her replacement batteries in the mail. This must be a joke. They do not send a technician out to replace batteries under any circumstances. Here is the bad part. In order to replace the batteries in the chair it requires you to remove the joystick controller with an allen wrench, which is not included in the replacement kit and it also requires you to remove the seat portion of the chair as well. Now, my mom is lucky enough to have me living with her, but how in the earth is a person that is handicapped and cannot walk supposed to remove the joystick and seat and replace these batteries themselves? Another complaint that has had me hung up on and been rude to by customer service and I even got from one of them well you own it now it is your problem. For those of you that are looking... DO NOT BUY!!!!!

winnw
6/11/16

I live in the country drive is sand and dirt. The MPV5 Was recommended. Have been stuck several times. The last time I was stuck I set for 3 hours before I was found . Had to move mailbox, because I got stuck out there 10 times in the road. The last time I rode it it ran out of juice with 3 bars showing. Went itack to my Pronto.

howardb48
6/6/16

On 6/2/2016 a Hoveround repair person named Hank came to my apartment building to repair my Hoverlift. The Hoverlift shorted out due to an electrical problem with the controller on my NEW Hoveround.MPV5.

The controller started smoking when the hoverlift was connected to it and a pin in the hoverlift connector melted as a result.

Hank replaced the power chair controller under warranty and he had to install a new wiring harness on the Hoverlift that was shorted out due to the problem with the Controller. Hoveround refused to cover the short in the Hoverlift and charged me $490.13 (parts and labor.

I paid this with my Target credit card after conversing with Hank and a very rude woman who was his supervisor. I told her I objected to being charged for something caused by my controller on my brand new Hoverround,and her response was that if I did not pay immediately, Hoveround would not supply any more service to me.

As a result, I paid the bill with my Target credit card, which Hoveround charged to my card 3 times (see below charges). I reported them to the better business bureau BBB Case# 67340373 and requested a full refund for all parts and labor.

Charged my target card 3x for same repair:

$490.13

About a month prior to this I complained to Hoveround that the bracket that attaches to the bottom of the power chair seat to allow the chair to be secured to the Hoverlift was not aligned properly, and to date this had not been resolved properly.

My experiences with Tech support at Hoveround has been unsatisfactory on all occasions.

Howard
Hoveround Owner in Alameda County, California

ginp1
6/4/16

First, on Medicare I received a NEW Jazzy from Scooter Store and went through a lengthy eval by PT and Dr. before getting it. Loved it! Five years later and time for a new chair, Scooter Store was gone. I got in touch with Hoveround and they were so friendly that they actually hounded my Dr. to get the paperwork, etc. The 1st chair arrived with tears in the seat. The delivery guy wanted me to sign for acceptance but I didn't and he had to take it away. A couple weeks later the replacement came dirty on the bottom. I expected a new chair but it was USED! He told me in a rude way that I couldn't afford a new chair and this was all I could get. He said it had been new a couple weeks ago but the guy that had it only used it once before dying! Multiple calls to them resulted in being hung up on, rude or uncaring responses, OR multiple transfers to retell the problem that ultimately resulted in a 'dropped' call. Now 18 mo. later and bottom breakdown, Dr. orders a Roho cushion. He did his part to for prior auth. Cushion wasn't approved because Medicare paid Hoveround for a 'Captain's Chair'. I have a short backed standard seat. Their website only shows Captain's chairs on scooters! Now I have to contact Medicare to deal with potential fraud all while needing to get a hold of the company for a repair! Also, the chair is slower than the Jazzy and is NOT as maneuverable.

Tip for consumers: Do your best to get your chair from anywhere else but Hoveround. Highest speed is not as fast as Jazzy making upward inclines more treacherous. The drive stick lacks sensitivity. That means when you move the stick there is a longer time gap before the chair responds. This is the reason that (for the first time EVER) the chair went half way over the side of a ramp. Fortunately, two people there helped me get out of the chair safely before they worked to remove it.

daveg63
3/21/16

In months charger went bad. Told will send replacement right away. Just informed needed drs. Approval for what? It's a bad charger. Their product didn't hold up. Rude customer service and still no charger. Will not recommend!

Helpful answer
Well Nancy, Lets say a person goes to the doctor, gets a prescription and goes to pick it up. Unfortunately, the Pharmacist says your insurance provider cannot cover your prescription at the time, yet if you wait, then later you come back after insurance is cleared or you can pay $200 right now to get it, if it is an emergency and hopefully the insurance can reimburse you in due time. Well Hoveround is equal to the Pharmacist! PERIOD!!! It is out of the doctors hands once the order is complete...CORRECT??? The order moves to your facility, and you all have the product to then verify through insurance and call the CONSUMER IF the insurance doesn't go through, the product is on back order, you have to order a different product instead. You NEVER as the product handler give or take away from the order, first with out the customer's consent, 2nd without the doctor's consent...EVER!!! In retail the customer is #1 priority, and should ALWAYS come first!!! I am surprised that you all haven't been a) sued by all of these customers complaining b) reported numerous times to the BBB or the Federal Government or c) shut down for bad customer service or lack there of. I want to say that I was going to try and get my Grandmother a hoveround but I am almost now other wise convinced that she deserves better than that kind of service. You all should be kissing the ground that your customer's walk on, besides aren't they who give YOU (YOUR) paychecks to keep your lights on and feed your babies??? Also, it is fairly obvious to me that NANCY, ANN, ANGELA...ect are on here most likely(as people from the company or mystery shopper/survey takers) making money off of writing good reviews. I hope that you all are happy for set some of these good customers up for sabotage/failure, you name it! So far I have yet to find a positive comment of a person with a picture. Seriously, tires going flat on multiple, not one but, MULTIPLE persons Carts and you all WILL NOT fix them??? If my grandma gets a hoveround on her own and she has on single problem, you all will be hearing from BBB and Lawyers. STOP the mess that you are creating and provide BETTER customer service!!!

Has anyone else in your community or your relatives with had any experience with Hoveround?

By Al M. on 9/6/13
Helpful answer

mine charge up about same when new I get a shudder feeling if I don't charge my battery`s when chair moves.

By Larry W. on 8/7/16
Helpful answer

The best answer I have for you is to cancel your order with them and do not accept it if it arrives anyway. Then, go to a local or nearby medical equipment store or pharmacy. By the date of your post, you have probably already taken possession of the Hoveround and have learned what the rest of us did. As for a positive thing about them, at least they have a cup holder, a side bag, and they can get you from point a to b (hopefully).

By Gin P. on 7/11/16
Helpful answer

I doubt if they are focused on service improvements because the large profit margin is in the initial purchase of the chair, not in doing warranty work or maintenance. Just a thought.

By J H. on 6/17/15
Helpful answer

Had a similar problem when I needed my batteries changed. Hoveround dispatch sucks big time. Their field servicer are great. When you order the wheels tell them of your situation and INSIST a repairman come out. Might cost for the visit.

By Ernie G. on 7/14/15

Helpful answer

Questions? Get answers from the Hoveround staff and other customers.

Hoveround?