US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

megp6
8/15/16

The chair is okay. The support after sale does NOT exist. They are happy to send you parts and pray that solves your problem. If not, you're stuck with that expense and still no technician to come help you. I'm 64 years old. It was suggested that I lift the front wheels up and run the motor to see if I could give them more info. Excuse me? I'm supposed to lift the chair? I'm supposed to buy $145 of parts and pray that works? If you don't have a tech living with you, fixing a Hoveround is up to you. Stay away from these people like the plague. If you buy one of their chairs, you are buying into being a wheelchair technician. They do not care once the sale is made.

coralg
8/11/16

THESE PEOPLE HAVE NO CARES FOR THEIR PATIENTS. I WORK AT A DOCTORS OFFICE AND IT TOOK 3 MONTHS FOR THEM TO FINALLY ACCEPT THE PAPERWORK AFTER THE DOCTOR HAD ORDERED THE WHEELCHAIR. ONCE THE PRODUCE WAS DELIVERED IT WAS SO UNSAFE FOR THE PATIENT THAT EVEN THE TECH THAT DELIVERED IT SAID IT WAS UNSAFE. AS A NURSE AT A DOCTORS OFFICE I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THESE PEOPLE TO ANYONE. EVER.

terryb106
7/8/16

My Hoveround MPV5 chair bought through Medicare will shut off very unexpectedly. I have been tossed on the ground about 5 times. Hoveround maintenance man said it can't be fixed. The problem is built in. I would like to trade it for a Jazzy. I don't recommend anyone buying a Hoveround unless they don't mind being thrown to the ground.It also has sharp edges that stick out and damage walls, doorways and furniture.. Call me and i will tell you more. tb

grace-jm
6/27/16

We got my mom a Hoveraround MPV5 after her last chair no longer worked. She had one from the Scooter Store a Jazzy that lasted 7 years. She got the Hoveraround in Feb of 2015. Biggest piece of junk that I have ever seen that she is now stuck with. 1st problem.. arms are too high and power joystick is not adjustable, 2nd..flat tires... 3rd battery life sucks and now am having to go thru them for replacement batteries. Chair charges overnight to get maybe 5 to 10 mins of use before having to be charged again. I wish I would have know that Medicare would work with other companies before she went with Hoveraround. She paid her part for 13 months and now customer service is rude, does not want to hear complaints and will do nothing for us. They hassel the dr office for paperwork. Often saying it is not complete. Last time to get her approved for the chair it was every day for 3 weeks that the dr spent filling out various forms sometimes 4 and 5 times with the same information , providing x-rays and medical proof only to get another form back to be filed. They do not have this problem with other companies. I think they use sub standard parts so that they break and the batteries are horrible. All I know is my mom used her Jazzy for 7 years and only had to have it fixed once. It was easier to manuver and more comfortable for her. I really think that Hoveround should be held accountable for their crappy product, but I don't have the money to pursue it in a court or I would have. Now I am stuck with a sub standard chair that my mom relies on for another 4 and a half years until she can get a new one thru insurance and at that time I will make sure to find a company that has a good reputation and tack record to make sure she gets what she needs. It is an unfair abuse, and unfair to seniors that cannot walk and have to rely on these chairs to get around. Buyer beware. Extremely unhappy in NY.....

Just wanted to add the following as of 9/9/16... Mom got her replacement batteries in the mail. This must be a joke. They do not send a technician out to replace batteries under any circumstances. Here is the bad part. In order to replace the batteries in the chair it requires you to remove the joystick controller with an allen wrench, which is not included in the replacement kit and it also requires you to remove the seat portion of the chair as well. Now, my mom is lucky enough to have me living with her, but how in the earth is a person that is handicapped and cannot walk supposed to remove the joystick and seat and replace these batteries themselves? Another complaint that has had me hung up on and been rude to by customer service and I even got from one of them well you own it now it is your problem. For those of you that are looking... DO NOT BUY!!!!!

winnw
6/11/16

I live in the country drive is sand and dirt. The MPV5 Was recommended. Have been stuck several times. The last time I was stuck I set for 3 hours before I was found . Had to move mailbox, because I got stuck out there 10 times in the road. The last time I rode it it ran out of juice with 3 bars showing. Went itack to my Pronto.

howardb48
6/6/16

On 6/2/2016 a Hoveround repair person named Hank came to my apartment building to repair my Hoverlift. The Hoverlift shorted out due to an electrical problem with the controller on my NEW Hoveround.MPV5.

The controller started smoking when the hoverlift was connected to it and a pin in the hoverlift connector melted as a result.

Hank replaced the power chair controller under warranty and he had to install a new wiring harness on the Hoverlift that was shorted out due to the problem with the Controller. Hoveround refused to cover the short in the Hoverlift and charged me $490.13 (parts and labor.

I paid this with my Target credit card after conversing with Hank and a very rude woman who was his supervisor. I told her I objected to being charged for something caused by my controller on my brand new Hoverround,and her response was that if I did not pay immediately, Hoveround would not supply any more service to me.

As a result, I paid the bill with my Target credit card, which Hoveround charged to my card 3 times (see below charges). I reported them to the better business bureau BBB Case# 67340373 and requested a full refund for all parts and labor.

Charged my target card 3x for same repair:

$490.13

About a month prior to this I complained to Hoveround that the bracket that attaches to the bottom of the power chair seat to allow the chair to be secured to the Hoverlift was not aligned properly, and to date this had not been resolved properly.

My experiences with Tech support at Hoveround has been unsatisfactory on all occasions.

Howard
Hoveround Owner in Alameda County, California

6/4/16

First, on Medicare I received a NEW Jazzy from Scooter Store and went through a lengthy eval by PT and Dr. before getting it. Loved it! Five years later and time for a new chair, Scooter Store was gone. I got in touch with Hoveround and they were so friendly that they actually hounded my Dr. to get the paperwork, etc. The 1st chair arrived with tears in the seat. The delivery guy wanted me to sign for acceptance but I didn't and he had to take it away. A couple weeks later the replacement came dirty on the bottom. I expected a new chair but it was USED! He told me in a rude way that I couldn't afford a new chair and this was all I could get. He said it had been new a couple weeks ago but the guy that had it only used it once before dying! Multiple calls to them resulted in being hung up on, rude or uncaring responses, OR multiple transfers to retell the problem that ultimately resulted in a 'dropped' call. Now 18 mo. later and bottom breakdown, Dr. orders a Roho cushion. He did his part to for prior auth. Cushion wasn't approved because Medicare paid Hoveround for a 'Captain's Chair'. I have a short backed standard seat. Their website only shows Captain's chairs on scooters! Now I have to contact Medicare to deal with potential fraud all while needing to get a hold of the company for a repair! Also, the chair is slower than the Jazzy and is NOT as maneuverable.

Tip for consumers: Do your best to get your chair from anywhere else but Hoveround. Highest speed is not as fast as Jazzy making upward inclines more treacherous. The drive stick lacks sensitivity. That means when you move the stick there is a longer time gap before the chair responds. This is the reason that (for the first time EVER) the chair went half way over the side of a ramp. Fortunately, two people there helped me get out of the chair safely before they worked to remove it.

daveg63
3/21/16

In months charger went bad. Told will send replacement right away. Just informed needed drs. Approval for what? It's a bad charger. Their product didn't hold up. Rude customer service and still no charger. Will not recommend!

lindav36
3/17/16

Hooveround sales literally hounded my mom multiple times daily until she bought a supposedly new chair. Within six months the electrical arm unit went out and stranded her. (She is wheelchair bound) called for service and all the eager niceness of the salespeople was GONE... Long phone holds, rude people and a two week wait until a technician could come out. When he came he did not have correct part and we had another weeks wait until he could come back out. They could care less that my mom lost all independence and was forced to incontinence, not to mention our concern for falls during this three weeks. Told us it was not profitable to have another tech in our area to support service. (Seriously said this). Now 3 months later the motor has gone out and from date of request for service to scheduled tech visit is 3 weeks. Since this chair is less than a year old I inquired about them replacing it... It is a lemon for a supposedly new chair to have major breakdowns twice within 1 years. No way, was their response. I asked if the warranty could be extended due to the severity of the problems. No way again. This company is a rip off and takes no pride in their product. My mom uses this chair mostly from chair to bathroom, always inside (never outside) and my mom is not overweight. There is no excuse. DO NOT FALL for THEIR SALES PITCH!!!!

edwinp20
3/16/16

hound is selling bad batteries they are cheep and poor quality for those out there bay different one aftermarket from amazob you be happier as far as service poor if you get a chair repaires on your own batteries and tires are your problem to change.there just trying to make more money

caryns4
3/9/16

I was Going to use hover round and my doctor's office was decided to go to somebody else who they use and hover round called me and they are very very rude and I suggest not using them At all They are very rude and I was very upset with them

sheliam7
2/29/16

My Mom got a Hoveround with her medicare, and for the first year or so, it was fine. A few months after we moved, we started to have issues. They sent us batteries twice to 'fix' the issue and in the past 3 months, we've had at least 4 techs here to look at the **** thing.

They now tell us it's the break system messing up and that they can reset the breaks remotely. I finally yelled "Well next time this happens and the things stops dead in the middle of the road, she'll call you and we pray she don't get hit by a car. GOOD DAY SIR!!"

tonyf39
2/24/16

I got this chair last may. The people were so nice. But when it was delivered things changed. The niceness left when the tech. left.I called customer service because I was having a problem. Talk about rude, she was down right nasty.The whole control unit has not worked right since I got it. They sent a srvice Tech out, He took my chair out to his truck for about 1 hr. brought it back and said all fixed. Well you guessed it . not fixed.. I have delt with these people long enough. Tomorrow I call them to come and pick this chair upI guess I am ok due to medicare changing it,s rules where I have to rent it for 13 months than they pay. So I get some satisfaction. Oh, I am a double amputee.Oh I almost forgot. They do not send u a new chair if you have medicare or a medicare HMO .They send you achair that somebody else had but did not keep!

haroldk15
1/12/16

Hoveround calls everyday to tell me (the patient) that they think that the paperwork is incorrect. Call the friggin' Doctor already! I cringe when they call. Horrible people to deal with and it has been over a year! Never good enough!

jeffd57
1/4/16

I've had my chair now for about three years. Overall the chair has been okay. But any problems, forget having any service from the company itself. As another reviewer has recently posted, I recently experienced a flat tire. And I also was told that they won't send a tech out on a "routine, simple and easy" repair. Well when your paralyzed on one entire side of your body, it's NOT a routine, simple and easy repair! Not that the person on the other end of the phone cared at all.

So I ordered and paid for the tire/wheel assembly. 2 business days later, still not shipped. And I live about 2 hours away from their location. Anyway I paid for it before noon, and 2 business days later, a part that I was assured was in stock, and I really need, not want, but need, still isn't shipped? Now not only am I partially paralyzed, but of course, like so many others, I have other health issues that threaten my life. But don't bother explaining any of this to the the customer support people at Hoveround, as they really seem indifferent to it all.

It would be nice if a company that deals with the disabled population might actually care about them, other than that is to get their money, or the governments monies on their behalf. Sadly, that doesn't apply in this company's case, at least in my experience. I'm sure that there is someone who works there that cares, but with the half dozen or so that I conversed with, I didn't find them.

So I cannot recommend the company at all, Just a little bit of putting yourself in your customer's place, is that too much to ask for a company that is supposed to service those of us that have to live with disabilities? Isn't our lives difficult enough already?

jackitar
12/28/15

I'm going to sum it up in 2 words here they go. $#*! Hoveround!! with a chair like this you can get around

chetl4
12/4/15

back in November 2014 I obtained a hoveround scout for my wife cause she can't walk or stand very long. After I recieved it put it toghter an charged it up it worked as discribed. The only problem I have with it is that the tires are to hard an when ever she hits a bump it hurts her back. If anyone was to ask me about the unit I would advise them to buy a unit with air infleted tires for a better ride. But over all very happy with the unit

mi16491
11/16/15

My mom purchased a hoveround in June 2014. Supposed to be brand new. It has been one problem after another. The batteries will not stay charged, the technician didn't even know how to change them out. Twice I have had to change the batteries and show the technician how to replace them,"(the same technician each time). All he does is stand around pretending he is talking on the phone with technical support, smacking gum and blowing bubbles, (how much more rude can you be) smelling like he smoked a pack of cigarettes. Both of my parents suffer from copd so the smell of cigarettes smoke along causes them to start wheazing.They have also had joystick problems not covered under the warranty. My father recently fell and is in icu because the chair failed to work right and he had to push it to get my mom out of it safely. Hoveround response "we hope he gets better." That from the vp of marketing. They refuse to repair the chair, they say that the batteries and the joystick aren't their responsibility to replace. And they practically dared me to sue them. Really, there is no customer service, if you call technical support they put you on hold until you hang up. If you are considering buying one don't you will regret every minute of it. Unless you are paying out of pocket then they still will not help you but they sure will love your money. I hope the corporate office at hoveround is proud of "their product". From what I have read on here not too many customers are proud of their purchase, service or technical support they get.

bobo29
11/2/15

First off, I have to say that I have had my Hoveround for 2 years. In that 2 years the chair has been a lifesaver for me. No problems as so many others have complained about, but I just got a flat tire, and here's were my headaches start. When the guy delivered my chair, he told me that they would service the chair for as long as I owned it, GREAT! Now I need service, so I call them and the customer service guy tells me "we don't send a repairman out to fix flats, there time is too valuable, but they will sell me a new tire and I can fix it myself!" That would be okay except I cannot walk (which is why I have the chair) so why can't they do what they promised to do?
So now I have to wait for the wheel & tire to come from Florida, then I have to find someone to come to my house to fix the chair. If they didn't lie to me in the beginning, I wouldn't be upset! So beware! You may have to do your own repairs on your chair!
DON'T LIE TO YOUR CUSTOMERS. . .IT'S NOT GOOD BUSINESS

paulh152
10/8/15

Maybe I've just been lucky and got a chair that was made on a contented worker day. I love my Hoveround and have had only one small problem with it. It's 14 months old and has had medium usage. Something squeaks that sounds like bushings that if it gets worse I'll have to have it looked at. Here's a note for people about to get one. Get hard rubber tires that you don't have to air up.

nancyb101
9/23/15

My mother purchased a Hoveround electric wheelchair new and was told by the salesman that she had a full one year guaranty that would cover any repair on the machine. One of the tires went flat after only using the machine a few times. It was never ridden outside only on the carpeting in her assisted living center. After two months, multiple phone calls the company said that the tires were not covered under the warranty and that she would have to pay for the part and pay for the service call if she wanted the chair repaired.

I wish she had consulted me before buying this chair. She paid in excess of $4,000 for this chair and has only been able to use it a few times. Taking advantage of seniors like this unconscionable.

titor
9/11/15

Paid 4 thousand out of my pocket for the mp5, i used the chair 6 times if that, now it wont power on i called hoveround and they said its the batteries or an electronic issues and i would have to pay for it my self 100.00 an hour or if its the batteries 200.00 for each one instead of helping people that need it they just rob you 4000.00 takes me a while to save i didnt have insurance and needed a chair should of just stood in bed buyers be ware

pamelab26
7/28/15

This is the second time that the chair has broken down. I was on hold with a so called tech that made my blood boil. 2 hours on hold and nothing resolved but making me lose my temper. Never again and I will tell anyone who asked that this chsir is the worst thing that can happen to you.

odisb23
7/9/15

My mother purchased a Hooveround mpv 5, I begged her not to as patients I transport gave them the worst endorsement. She was convinced by the saleman that this is the only mobility chair medicare would pay for. After recieving it she used it twice to go to the mail box, nearly tipping on it's side going up the driveway curb (the chair would not go up/over it str8 away and had to be approached at an angle) my step father and I tried it to varify her claim, it started to tip on me, fully tipped on him (wieght ranging between 150-165 lbs). Hooveround had no explination for this poor designed, but did try selling a different model, naturally medicare would not assist with payments. Mom swore she would lay in bed till the day she died before she ever got into that "Hoover Junk" again, which she kept her word. I have it now, my step father kept it in great mainance, in hopes she would change her mind and use it, even replacing the batteries as for some reason, even with proper care, the die, no ryme or reason. I have used it once and it drained the new batteries taking me from my sofa to my bathroom, apx 50 ft. Hooveround service only wants to sell a new chair, refusing assistance as I am not the origanal owner. Took it to a scooter store, they informed me they don't repair them and veiw the Hooverounds as disposables. Mom was right, Hoover Junk...

johnr228
6/23/15

Chairs and service suck

13 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Hoveround staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
8/7/16
Answer
ginp1
A: I wish I could help but, unfortunately, I can't. I got new batteries a month ago and already having charging problems. I miss my Jazzy. I only needed one set of replacement batteries for it in 5 years. Good luck.
3 weeks ago
Helpful answer
Add your answer
7/11/16
Answer
ginp1
A: The best answer I have for you is to cancel your order with them and do not accept it if it arrives anyway. Then, go to a local or nearby medical equipment store or pharmacy. By the date of your post, you have probably already taken possession of the Hoveround and have learned what the rest of us did. As for a positive thing about them, at least they have a cup holder, a side bag, and they can get you from point a to b (hopefully).
3 weeks ago