Review of Hoveround

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

andreas369
4/15/17

How come your batteries never last anymore. My wife first got your chair in 2005 and it lasted very well for 7 years. Then she received your new chair mpv5 and the batteries are absolute junk. They never last they have had to be replaced 3 times which takes you weeks to come out and replace. I am going to use our FSA to buy a brand new chair from someone NOT hoveround. Also I promise I am not the only customer you will lose. It's just a given with shoddy materials and awful customer service. I complained and asked about the batteries not lasting and the man on the phone just replied in a non empathic way that batteries sometimes are bad. Yeah several times. You lost us. Thanks for the time we had but now I must dump you.

marilynt25
3/30/17

When my husband went from strait medicare to Humana, Hoveround refused to send Humana the paperwork which they had from the doctor which they submitted to get the chair approved to begin with. I called and asked them to do this every week for months. Finally, Humana denied the claim for the rest of the chair because Hoveround would not provide them with the paperwork. We were told we had to make the rest of what was owed (over $1200) in three payments or they were coming out to take back the chair. I was able to borrow the money for 2 months of it. We are on the final month, there is approximately $500 owed and we cannot pay it. They are now going to take back the chair from a totally disabled man that cannot walk at all. Now he will have to crawl on the floor to even go to the toilet.

brandym21
3/20/17

This place absolutely sucks....Do not buy from them, I'd rather crawl everywhere then sit in one of their chairs ever again..Wish I didn't have to give one star

jacklynk
2/27/17

I've had my Hoveround for 3-1/2 yrs. Original batteries lasted 3 yrs. Bought new batteries from Hoveround & technician came out & installed. Batteries went out in 3 months & then Hoveround sent replacement batteries as the batteries are warranted for 6 months. These replacement batteries went out after 2 months & then Hoveround said they only warrant batteries 1 time & after 1st time of sending replacement batteries for a bad set THEY sent, the replacement batteries are not warranted at all. So for 3rd batteries I bought from Amazon - 1/2 price, no shipping cost & 1 yrs warranty. However these still won't hold charge & my son took apart Hoveround & found 1 rear tire had worn out inside & "might" be causing enough drag to cause batteries to discharge when using. Bought new tire on Amazon for 1/2 what Hoveround charges, but didn't help as I still have to charge it every time I use it, after about 10 minutes run time. Very comfortable chair, but their service is almost nonexistent & I would not buy another one. Had to pay entire cost of chair myself as they said Medicare wouldn't cover even tho dr. & 2 different P.T. said I needed it. For it to last only 3-1/2 yrs for what I pd for it is highway robbery. When Sr. home I live in said I needed tie downs, I called Hoveround & they did put metal rods on chair underneath the seat for tie down & much better than cloth tie downs, but had to pay labor & cost of metal tie down rods. These should be on chair before they ever deliver it originally. Still don't know why batteries keep having to be recharged after 10 min of use & don't believe Hoveround will help.

julieb191
2/10/17

My mom has had her power hoveround wheelchair for approximately 2 years now. After 1 year, already had to have a new battery. Now another year later (2 years of owning chair), it now needs a "power stick" to the tune of $900!! This chair is mainly used indoors, so is not exposed to the outdoors much. Expensive and inconvenient ride!!

phoebem7
1/19/17

I transport many people in many different chairs. There are 4 tiedowns to hook to the chair and tighten. A passenger got on with a Hoveround Mpv5, and there was nothing to hook the tiedowns on. Anyone in a chair sees Doctors regularly, how are they supposed to get there, drive their chair 5 miles in traffic? I called Hoveround to find out how to tie the chair down, they told me you cant, it's not built with tiedowns because the insurance won't pay for that. The tiedowns should be standard, like the footrest(??or does Hoveround charge for that also?). Putting hookups for tiedowns would cost the company at the MOST, $10, and I believe in actuality it would be under $5. I'm waiting to talk to the ADA, there's no excuse for this.

And to the lady that said she didn't have the money to sue for the problems with her Moms chair. Talk to a lawyer they usually don't get paid till you win, and it's a percentage of what you win. Good luck, these people need to be shut down.

susany23
12/9/16

I have a jazzy also and I haven't scooter now but I should have gotten to begin with that's what I want it but they decided to send me a crap as chair are we have a chair it's a jazzy it goes everywhere and anywhere you can go in the same can go in the mud go anywhere and it doesn't get stuck they're a bunch of $#*!s they think that there's any good plus what you get flat tires because they couldn't put good tires on there like that that's where all the way through that's what we need we need a flat tire out someplace idiots

charlesb151
10/7/16

Buy from anyone but them, you call for service and your 27 in line, finality get them and they say Charlie will call you... he never do. My lift license light went out in May 16 and i have yet top get them to fix it and its October 16 and they quoted me a price of $630 to fix it.

bernadettem5
10/3/16

I wanted to get this chair for my mother as she is 89 years old and keeps falling. I scheduled an appointment for her only which we kept, notified Hoveround that she kept it and waited.
Finally after 45 days, I received a call that they had not received the paperwork. I again scheduled another appointment and 4 days later received a phone call that the paperwork was not complete. Prior to being a full time caregiver for my mother, I spent 30 years in the health insurance industry. I cannot believe that they expect their customer(disabled or elderly) to contact the doctor. In my experience with medical providers, THEY contact the doctor and the insurance company. To expect the patient to contact the doctor is pure laziness on the company's part. When a form is not complete it is their responsibility to contact the doctor. Hoveround is making the profit, they should not rely on the customer to be the mediator between them and the doctor. It is poor company practice and I would advise everyone this is not customary to have the patient contact the doctor. It just makes for frustration and confusion.

megp6
8/15/16

The chair is okay. The support after sale does NOT exist. They are happy to send you parts and pray that solves your problem. If not, you're stuck with that expense and still no technician to come help you. I'm 64 years old. It was suggested that I lift the front wheels up and run the motor to see if I could give them more info. Excuse me? I'm supposed to lift the chair? I'm supposed to buy $145 of parts and pray that works? If you don't have a tech living with you, fixing a Hoveround is up to you. Stay away from these people like the plague. If you buy one of their chairs, you are buying into being a wheelchair technician. They do not care once the sale is made.

coralg
8/11/16

THESE PEOPLE HAVE NO CARES FOR THEIR PATIENTS. I WORK AT A DOCTORS OFFICE AND IT TOOK 3 MONTHS FOR THEM TO FINALLY ACCEPT THE PAPERWORK AFTER THE DOCTOR HAD ORDERED THE WHEELCHAIR. ONCE THE PRODUCE WAS DELIVERED IT WAS SO UNSAFE FOR THE PATIENT THAT EVEN THE TECH THAT DELIVERED IT SAID IT WAS UNSAFE. AS A NURSE AT A DOCTORS OFFICE I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THESE PEOPLE TO ANYONE. EVER.

terryb106
7/8/16

My Hoveround MPV5 chair bought through Medicare will shut off very unexpectedly. I have been tossed on the ground about 5 times. Hoveround maintenance man said it can't be fixed. The problem is built in. I would like to trade it for a Jazzy. I don't recommend anyone buying a Hoveround unless they don't mind being thrown to the ground.It also has sharp edges that stick out and damage walls, doorways and furniture.. Call me and i will tell you more. tb

grace-jm
6/27/16

We got my mom a Hoveraround MPV5 after her last chair no longer worked. She had one from the Scooter Store a Jazzy that lasted 7 years. She got the Hoveraround in Feb of 2015. Biggest piece of junk that I have ever seen that she is now stuck with. 1st problem.. arms are too high and power joystick is not adjustable, 2nd..flat tires... 3rd battery life sucks and now am having to go thru them for replacement batteries. Chair charges overnight to get maybe 5 to 10 mins of use before having to be charged again. I wish I would have know that Medicare would work with other companies before she went with Hoveraround. She paid her part for 13 months and now customer service is rude, does not want to hear complaints and will do nothing for us. They hassel the dr office for paperwork. Often saying it is not complete. Last time to get her approved for the chair it was every day for 3 weeks that the dr spent filling out various forms sometimes 4 and 5 times with the same information , providing x-rays and medical proof only to get another form back to be filed. They do not have this problem with other companies. I think they use sub standard parts so that they break and the batteries are horrible. All I know is my mom used her Jazzy for 7 years and only had to have it fixed once. It was easier to manuver and more comfortable for her. I really think that Hoveround should be held accountable for their crappy product, but I don't have the money to pursue it in a court or I would have. Now I am stuck with a sub standard chair that my mom relies on for another 4 and a half years until she can get a new one thru insurance and at that time I will make sure to find a company that has a good reputation and tack record to make sure she gets what she needs. It is an unfair abuse, and unfair to seniors that cannot walk and have to rely on these chairs to get around. Buyer beware. Extremely unhappy in NY.....

Just wanted to add the following as of 9/9/16... Mom got her replacement batteries in the mail. This must be a joke. They do not send a technician out to replace batteries under any circumstances. Here is the bad part. In order to replace the batteries in the chair it requires you to remove the joystick controller with an allen wrench, which is not included in the replacement kit and it also requires you to remove the seat portion of the chair as well. Now, my mom is lucky enough to have me living with her, but how in the earth is a person that is handicapped and cannot walk supposed to remove the joystick and seat and replace these batteries themselves? Another complaint that has had me hung up on and been rude to by customer service and I even got from one of them well you own it now it is your problem. For those of you that are looking... DO NOT BUY!!!!!

winnw
6/11/16

I live in the country drive is sand and dirt. The MPV5 Was recommended. Have been stuck several times. The last time I was stuck I set for 3 hours before I was found . Had to move mailbox, because I got stuck out there 10 times in the road. The last time I rode it it ran out of juice with 3 bars showing. Went itack to my Pronto.

howardb48
6/6/16

On 6/2/2016 a Hoveround repair person named Hank came to my apartment building to repair my Hoverlift. The Hoverlift shorted out due to an electrical problem with the controller on my NEW Hoveround.MPV5.

The controller started smoking when the hoverlift was connected to it and a pin in the hoverlift connector melted as a result.

Hank replaced the power chair controller under warranty and he had to install a new wiring harness on the Hoverlift that was shorted out due to the problem with the Controller. Hoveround refused to cover the short in the Hoverlift and charged me $490.13 (parts and labor.

I paid this with my Target credit card after conversing with Hank and a very rude woman who was his supervisor. I told her I objected to being charged for something caused by my controller on my brand new Hoverround,and her response was that if I did not pay immediately, Hoveround would not supply any more service to me.

As a result, I paid the bill with my Target credit card, which Hoveround charged to my card 3 times (see below charges). I reported them to the better business bureau BBB Case# 67340373 and requested a full refund for all parts and labor.

Charged my target card 3x for same repair:

$490.13

About a month prior to this I complained to Hoveround that the bracket that attaches to the bottom of the power chair seat to allow the chair to be secured to the Hoverlift was not aligned properly, and to date this had not been resolved properly.

My experiences with Tech support at Hoveround has been unsatisfactory on all occasions.

Howard
Hoveround Owner in Alameda County, California

ginp1
6/4/16

First, on Medicare I received a NEW Jazzy from Scooter Store and went through a lengthy eval by PT and Dr. before getting it. Loved it! Five years later and time for a new chair, Scooter Store was gone. I got in touch with Hoveround and they were so friendly that they actually hounded my Dr. to get the paperwork, etc. The 1st chair arrived with tears in the seat. The delivery guy wanted me to sign for acceptance but I didn't and he had to take it away. A couple weeks later the replacement came dirty on the bottom. I expected a new chair but it was USED! He told me in a rude way that I couldn't afford a new chair and this was all I could get. He said it had been new a couple weeks ago but the guy that had it only used it once before dying! Multiple calls to them resulted in being hung up on, rude or uncaring responses, OR multiple transfers to retell the problem that ultimately resulted in a 'dropped' call. Now 18 mo. later and bottom breakdown, Dr. orders a Roho cushion. He did his part to for prior auth. Cushion wasn't approved because Medicare paid Hoveround for a 'Captain's Chair'. I have a short backed standard seat. Their website only shows Captain's chairs on scooters! Now I have to contact Medicare to deal with potential fraud all while needing to get a hold of the company for a repair! Also, the chair is slower than the Jazzy and is NOT as maneuverable.

Tip for consumers: Do your best to get your chair from anywhere else but Hoveround. Highest speed is not as fast as Jazzy making upward inclines more treacherous. The drive stick lacks sensitivity. That means when you move the stick there is a longer time gap before the chair responds. This is the reason that (for the first time EVER) the chair went half way over the side of a ramp. Fortunately, two people there helped me get out of the chair safely before they worked to remove it.

daveg63
3/21/16

In months charger went bad. Told will send replacement right away. Just informed needed drs. Approval for what? It's a bad charger. Their product didn't hold up. Rude customer service and still no charger. Will not recommend!

lindav36
3/17/16

Hooveround sales literally hounded my mom multiple times daily until she bought a supposedly new chair. Within six months the electrical arm unit went out and stranded her. (She is wheelchair bound) called for service and all the eager niceness of the salespeople was GONE... Long phone holds, rude people and a two week wait until a technician could come out. When he came he did not have correct part and we had another weeks wait until he could come back out. They could care less that my mom lost all independence and was forced to incontinence, not to mention our concern for falls during this three weeks. Told us it was not profitable to have another tech in our area to support service. (Seriously said this). Now 3 months later the motor has gone out and from date of request for service to scheduled tech visit is 3 weeks. Since this chair is less than a year old I inquired about them replacing it... It is a lemon for a supposedly new chair to have major breakdowns twice within 1 years. No way, was their response. I asked if the warranty could be extended due to the severity of the problems. No way again. This company is a rip off and takes no pride in their product. My mom uses this chair mostly from chair to bathroom, always inside (never outside) and my mom is not overweight. There is no excuse. DO NOT FALL for THEIR SALES PITCH!!!!

edwinp20
3/16/16

hound is selling bad batteries they are cheep and poor quality for those out there bay different one aftermarket from amazob you be happier as far as service poor if you get a chair repaires on your own batteries and tires are your problem to change.there just trying to make more money

caryns4
3/9/16

I was Going to use hover round and my doctor's office was decided to go to somebody else who they use and hover round called me and they are very very rude and I suggest not using them At all They are very rude and I was very upset with them

sheliam7
2/29/16

My Mom got a Hoveround with her medicare, and for the first year or so, it was fine. A few months after we moved, we started to have issues. They sent us batteries twice to 'fix' the issue and in the past 3 months, we've had at least 4 techs here to look at the **** thing.

They now tell us it's the break system messing up and that they can reset the breaks remotely. I finally yelled "Well next time this happens and the things stops dead in the middle of the road, she'll call you and we pray she don't get hit by a car. GOOD DAY SIR!!"

tonyf39
2/24/16

I got this chair last may. The people were so nice. But when it was delivered things changed. The niceness left when the tech. left.I called customer service because I was having a problem. Talk about rude, she was down right nasty.The whole control unit has not worked right since I got it. They sent a srvice Tech out, He took my chair out to his truck for about 1 hr. brought it back and said all fixed. Well you guessed it . not fixed.. I have delt with these people long enough. Tomorrow I call them to come and pick this chair upI guess I am ok due to medicare changing it,s rules where I have to rent it for 13 months than they pay. So I get some satisfaction. Oh, I am a double amputee.Oh I almost forgot. They do not send u a new chair if you have medicare or a medicare HMO .They send you achair that somebody else had but did not keep!

haroldk15
1/12/16

Hoveround calls everyday to tell me (the patient) that they think that the paperwork is incorrect. Call the friggin' Doctor already! I cringe when they call. Horrible people to deal with and it has been over a year! Never good enough!

jeffd57
1/4/16

I've had my chair now for about three years. Overall the chair has been okay. But any problems, forget having any service from the company itself. As another reviewer has recently posted, I recently experienced a flat tire. And I also was told that they won't send a tech out on a "routine, simple and easy" repair. Well when your paralyzed on one entire side of your body, it's NOT a routine, simple and easy repair! Not that the person on the other end of the phone cared at all.

So I ordered and paid for the tire/wheel assembly. 2 business days later, still not shipped. And I live about 2 hours away from their location. Anyway I paid for it before noon, and 2 business days later, a part that I was assured was in stock, and I really need, not want, but need, still isn't shipped? Now not only am I partially paralyzed, but of course, like so many others, I have other health issues that threaten my life. But don't bother explaining any of this to the the customer support people at Hoveround, as they really seem indifferent to it all.

It would be nice if a company that deals with the disabled population might actually care about them, other than that is to get their money, or the governments monies on their behalf. Sadly, that doesn't apply in this company's case, at least in my experience. I'm sure that there is someone who works there that cares, but with the half dozen or so that I conversed with, I didn't find them.

So I cannot recommend the company at all, Just a little bit of putting yourself in your customer's place, is that too much to ask for a company that is supposed to service those of us that have to live with disabilities? Isn't our lives difficult enough already?

jackitar
12/28/15

I'm going to sum it up in 2 words here they go. $#*! Hoveround!! with a chair like this you can get around

18 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Hoveround staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question