Review of Hoveround

Sarasota, FL 34232, US
Tel: 1-800-542-7236

duanew10
10/17/17

They will tell you anything upfront such as you can get a chair at no cost to you if you are on medicare! You tell them first thing you have no money to pay for a chair!! They have you go to a Dr. to have him fill out lots of forms telling why you need a chair! They call and say you are approved for a chair and again I tell them i have no money! They tell me it says I will owe Zero! They send a man out to check out our house to see if a power chair will work even though we have had a Jazzy for 7 years! He looks at our chair and says the seat is shot! wheels are shot, batteries are shot! The Jazzy looks in new condition but he says if he dont put that down we wont get a new chair because medicare will just say to fix the old one! So hoveround has to lie to medicare to get us anew chair! Then they call and tell you your chair can be delivered and you first payments will be like $130 for like 2 months then like $80 for more months and then $30 some for more months! This is where I said JUST FORGET IT! WHY DID I EVER GET INVOLVED? BECAUSE THEY TOLD ME UPFRONT THEY COULD GET US A NEW CHAIR FREE OF CHARGE! MY ADVICE STAY AWAY AND LOOK ELSEWARE!

paulh307
10/4/17

My dad is 92 years old. He has had his chair almost a year. He has had to replace the batteries three times in a year and the charger twice. They don't tell you that the batteries need to be replaced multiple times a year. In fact, they told us he could use his chair up to twelve miles a day! His trips to the bathroom, kitchen, and back to the bedroom are probably not even a quarter of a mile, but apparently even that wore the batteries out. The first time, his batteries were under warranty but the second time they would not replace because they had replaced them once. Now we are needing a new charger and our warranty will be out in 5 days, but they are refusing to replace it until we 'prove' that it is not the batteries by buying and installing new batteries. Service suggested that I take the chair down to an automotive shop and get the batteries tested. How is a 92 year old and his 90 pound daughter going to get that chair into the car to be tested by an automotive shop? And the batteries will take a few weeks to arrive, at a cost between $200 and $300 including shipping. The service techs on the phone have been rude and unhelpful. Overall, it is disappointing.

emanuelm26
9/30/17

I used to be a spokesman for my Hoveround chair. I even tried convincing 2 people to buy a Hoveround. Now my views have changed due to a service problem. My batteries needed replacement a month ago and I am still waiting. First it was blamed on the storm in Florida (I understood) then my order was sent to another person in a different state. After calling 4 times, each time waiting a least 30 minutes to get through, I was told they ran out of parts for the chair. I pleaded with them to send just the batteries so I could at least use the chair. They told me they could not split the order so now in the fifth week I am still waiting. There was no attempt to try to help me despite my handicapped status. If I ever need a new chair I will definitely consider a new company.

irenes60
9/24/17

My mother purchased a Hoveround chair. It was the biggest mistake we ever made. She had a Jazzy chair for 7 years and had one of their repairman come to fix the joystick because of a recall on it. While he was there he replaced her batteries. That was the only service she needed in 7 years. Once the Jazzy chair was worn out my mother wanted to try a Hoveround chair after being contacted by them saying she was due for a new chair. We had our hoveround chair for 3 years. After the first year we had to have repair work done on it. We called the end of July 2015 and the repairman came September 1, 2015. He fixed the chair and left. The chair broke down 2 hours after he left, leaving her stranded in the yard by herself. The repairman did not come back until September 1, 2015. He stated that the replacement motors were defective.Two years later the chair broke down again. I called June 19 2017 to order the repair. After several weeks the repairman showed up July 26, 2017, to fix the chair. He soon realized there were far more problems with the chair then what the work order stated. The work order was made based on a phone call asking us what was wrong with the chair. I told the woman on the phone that the chair's joystick cap kept popping off. The chair was making grinding noises, shaking and not turning properly. Even though he had all the parts with him he could not fix the chair without preapproval from the insurance. August 2, 2017 the company called for our 20% at $565.00 worth repairs!! I was told we would get a phone call within 48 hours to set up a service call. On August 10, 2017 I called the company to see what was going on with the repair. The company said they were waiting for a warehouse delivery of batteries and then they would ship the batteries to the repairman and then the service department would call to set up a service date. At this point my mother has had no mobility for 7 weeks and that we had one to two more weeks before the chair could be fixed! I called the corporate office to be connected to the company's complaint department and also wanted the legal department. The gentleman on the phone tried to help me instead of connecting me to the complaint department. That is when I realized this company does not have a complaint department! At that point I cancelled the repair order and my brother, who was so upset, went out and bought her a new chair out of pocket. After looking at the paperwork I realized that if we went ahead and had hoveround fix the chair for the 2nd time that the insurance company would have paid more for the repairs of the chair then what they originally paid to purchase the chair. Between the purchase and 2 repairs the insurance would had invested over $7,000.00 into a chair that was only 3 years old. This is how Hoveround makes their money, by charging high prices for cheap parts that are guaranteed to break down frequently. I wrote a letter to place a complaint to the Attorney General and also sent a copy of my letter to 20/20 and NBC. Please take a moment and do the same. This company needs to be held accountable. My question to all who read this, how would you feel if you had a car and the mechanic took at least 6 weeks before he could fix your car leaving you with no mobility for that amount of time. Why is it OK for those with disabilities and our elderly be treated like this! Who is protecting their rights! Shame on Hoveround!!

kenc89
7/31/17

Chair is falling apart in 2 years. We think we were given a used chair, for a new one. When we checked the batteries after 3 months, one was disconnected. The controls have gone bad, and a motor is going out. No help from the company. Go elsewhere.

bobm239
7/31/17

My father purchased a hover round in 2016. The chair is supposed to be warranted for a year but as we found out after waiting on hold for an hour this does not include the battery. This is on top of the questionable practice of leading him to believe that the chair would be covered by Medicare when it was not.

cindyp81
7/26/17

My dad has 2 Hoverounds because they are so un-reliable, he switches them out. I called to get the recliner chair for the Hoveround to help him take naps in it. I placed an order having being on hold forever. Called yesterday to check on the order and was transferred 3 times after they told me the order # they gave me belonged to someone else, then placed in queue and was #20 in queue. Called back today and waited 1/2 hr again.Talked to a rude person that said they are waiting for insurance approval and then will ship. I asked if they would notify me when it shipped and he said no. I just have to call back and wait in queue again if I want status. Horrible customer service that does not care what so ever. I believe they are ripping off insurance companies and customers with their high prices and horrible service.

marlar1
7/7/17

I got my chair in 2006. I need sercice on the chair and it has been 4 months now!!! I cannot go from the bedroom to the kitchen without it dying!! They get a 1 because 0 is not an option!!!!!!

patricab
6/30/17

5 months 4 sets of defective batteries china made 1 set motors wiring harness same problem within 3 weeks cant make it to the mailbox and back called co rep said made in usa repairman says made in china that's whats labled on batteries good service defective product first hoveround no complaint you cant cure china crap

samueld30
5/27/17

My Hoveround started acting the first day I got it. And when you call for a repair man .You never get one. I had to get set of battery s 3 times in a year. And had to replace the wheels 2 times with in a year. And you had to change the wheels your self the repairman are not responsible for changing tires or batterys so I had to pay someone to do those things. And had to replace joy stick controller and this was in the 1st year. And when you call to get parts they treat you like you don't know what you are talking about. For every parts you need they got to get the doctor approval. And that takes a week to get the paper work. And you can't do anything because your stranded at home because your waiting on parts.

markc292
5/18/17

Junk company,another company that screw over the medicare system,anything for a buck!chair sucks ,no adjustable seats unless you pay extra,freaking retards think people with bad backs can sit on this uncomfortable chair all day wrong

johnr468
5/5/17

Worst service ever. 30 minute hold them hangs up on me. 30 more minutes. Then tells a Parylyzed person to Chang a battery

andreas369
4/15/17

How come your batteries never last anymore. My wife first got your chair in 2005 and it lasted very well for 7 years. Then she received your new chair mpv5 and the batteries are absolute junk. They never last they have had to be replaced 3 times which takes you weeks to come out and replace. I am going to use our FSA to buy a brand new chair from someone NOT hoveround. Also I promise I am not the only customer you will lose. It's just a given with shoddy materials and awful customer service. I complained and asked about the batteries not lasting and the man on the phone just replied in a non empathic way that batteries sometimes are bad. Yeah several times. You lost us. Thanks for the time we had but now I must dump you.

marilynt25
3/30/17

When my husband went from strait medicare to Humana, Hoveround refused to send Humana the paperwork which they had from the doctor which they submitted to get the chair approved to begin with. I called and asked them to do this every week for months. Finally, Humana denied the claim for the rest of the chair because Hoveround would not provide them with the paperwork. We were told we had to make the rest of what was owed (over $1200) in three payments or they were coming out to take back the chair. I was able to borrow the money for 2 months of it. We are on the final month, there is approximately $500 owed and we cannot pay it. They are now going to take back the chair from a totally disabled man that cannot walk at all. Now he will have to crawl on the floor to even go to the toilet.

brandym21
3/20/17

This place absolutely sucks....Do not buy from them, I'd rather crawl everywhere then sit in one of their chairs ever again..Wish I didn't have to give one star

jacklynk
2/27/17

I've had my Hoveround for 3-1/2 yrs. Original batteries lasted 3 yrs. Bought new batteries from Hoveround & technician came out & installed. Batteries went out in 3 months & then Hoveround sent replacement batteries as the batteries are warranted for 6 months. These replacement batteries went out after 2 months & then Hoveround said they only warrant batteries 1 time & after 1st time of sending replacement batteries for a bad set THEY sent, the replacement batteries are not warranted at all. So for 3rd batteries I bought from Amazon - 1/2 price, no shipping cost & 1 yrs warranty. However these still won't hold charge & my son took apart Hoveround & found 1 rear tire had worn out inside & "might" be causing enough drag to cause batteries to discharge when using. Bought new tire on Amazon for 1/2 what Hoveround charges, but didn't help as I still have to charge it every time I use it, after about 10 minutes run time. Very comfortable chair, but their service is almost nonexistent & I would not buy another one. Had to pay entire cost of chair myself as they said Medicare wouldn't cover even tho dr. & 2 different P.T. said I needed it. For it to last only 3-1/2 yrs for what I pd for it is highway robbery. When Sr. home I live in said I needed tie downs, I called Hoveround & they did put metal rods on chair underneath the seat for tie down & much better than cloth tie downs, but had to pay labor & cost of metal tie down rods. These should be on chair before they ever deliver it originally. Still don't know why batteries keep having to be recharged after 10 min of use & don't believe Hoveround will help.

julieb191
2/10/17

My mom has had her power hoveround wheelchair for approximately 2 years now. After 1 year, already had to have a new battery. Now another year later (2 years of owning chair), it now needs a "power stick" to the tune of $900!! This chair is mainly used indoors, so is not exposed to the outdoors much. Expensive and inconvenient ride!!

phoebem7
1/19/17

I transport many people in many different chairs. There are 4 tiedowns to hook to the chair and tighten. A passenger got on with a Hoveround Mpv5, and there was nothing to hook the tiedowns on. Anyone in a chair sees Doctors regularly, how are they supposed to get there, drive their chair 5 miles in traffic? I called Hoveround to find out how to tie the chair down, they told me you cant, it's not built with tiedowns because the insurance won't pay for that. The tiedowns should be standard, like the footrest(??or does Hoveround charge for that also?). Putting hookups for tiedowns would cost the company at the MOST, $10, and I believe in actuality it would be under $5. I'm waiting to talk to the ADA, there's no excuse for this.

And to the lady that said she didn't have the money to sue for the problems with her Moms chair. Talk to a lawyer they usually don't get paid till you win, and it's a percentage of what you win. Good luck, these people need to be shut down.

susany23
12/9/16

I have a jazzy also and I haven't scooter now but I should have gotten to begin with that's what I want it but they decided to send me a crap as chair are we have a chair it's a jazzy it goes everywhere and anywhere you can go in the same can go in the mud go anywhere and it doesn't get stuck they're a bunch of $#*!s they think that there's any good plus what you get flat tires because they couldn't put good tires on there like that that's where all the way through that's what we need we need a flat tire out someplace idiots

charlesb151
10/7/16

Buy from anyone but them, you call for service and your 27 in line, finality get them and they say Charlie will call you... he never do. My lift license light went out in May 16 and i have yet top get them to fix it and its October 16 and they quoted me a price of $630 to fix it.

bernadettem5
10/3/16

I wanted to get this chair for my mother as she is 89 years old and keeps falling. I scheduled an appointment for her only which we kept, notified Hoveround that she kept it and waited.
Finally after 45 days, I received a call that they had not received the paperwork. I again scheduled another appointment and 4 days later received a phone call that the paperwork was not complete. Prior to being a full time caregiver for my mother, I spent 30 years in the health insurance industry. I cannot believe that they expect their customer(disabled or elderly) to contact the doctor. In my experience with medical providers, THEY contact the doctor and the insurance company. To expect the patient to contact the doctor is pure laziness on the company's part. When a form is not complete it is their responsibility to contact the doctor. Hoveround is making the profit, they should not rely on the customer to be the mediator between them and the doctor. It is poor company practice and I would advise everyone this is not customary to have the patient contact the doctor. It just makes for frustration and confusion.

megp6
8/15/16

The chair is okay. The support after sale does NOT exist. They are happy to send you parts and pray that solves your problem. If not, you're stuck with that expense and still no technician to come help you. I'm 64 years old. It was suggested that I lift the front wheels up and run the motor to see if I could give them more info. Excuse me? I'm supposed to lift the chair? I'm supposed to buy $145 of parts and pray that works? If you don't have a tech living with you, fixing a Hoveround is up to you. Stay away from these people like the plague. If you buy one of their chairs, you are buying into being a wheelchair technician. They do not care once the sale is made.

coralg
8/11/16

THESE PEOPLE HAVE NO CARES FOR THEIR PATIENTS. I WORK AT A DOCTORS OFFICE AND IT TOOK 3 MONTHS FOR THEM TO FINALLY ACCEPT THE PAPERWORK AFTER THE DOCTOR HAD ORDERED THE WHEELCHAIR. ONCE THE PRODUCE WAS DELIVERED IT WAS SO UNSAFE FOR THE PATIENT THAT EVEN THE TECH THAT DELIVERED IT SAID IT WAS UNSAFE. AS A NURSE AT A DOCTORS OFFICE I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THESE PEOPLE TO ANYONE. EVER.

terryb106
7/8/16

My Hoveround MPV5 chair bought through Medicare will shut off very unexpectedly. I have been tossed on the ground about 5 times. Hoveround maintenance man said it can't be fixed. The problem is built in. I would like to trade it for a Jazzy. I don't recommend anyone buying a Hoveround unless they don't mind being thrown to the ground.It also has sharp edges that stick out and damage walls, doorways and furniture.. Call me and i will tell you more. tb

gracejm
6/27/16

We got my mom a Hoveraround MPV5 after her last chair no longer worked. She had one from the Scooter Store a Jazzy that lasted 7 years. She got the Hoveraround in Feb of 2015. Biggest piece of junk that I have ever seen that she is now stuck with. 1st problem.. arms are too high and power joystick is not adjustable, 2nd..flat tires... 3rd battery life sucks and now am having to go thru them for replacement batteries. Chair charges overnight to get maybe 5 to 10 mins of use before having to be charged again. I wish I would have know that Medicare would work with other companies before she went with Hoveraround. She paid her part for 13 months and now customer service is rude, does not want to hear complaints and will do nothing for us. They hassel the dr office for paperwork. Often saying it is not complete. Last time to get her approved for the chair it was every day for 3 weeks that the dr spent filling out various forms sometimes 4 and 5 times with the same information , providing x-rays and medical proof only to get another form back to be filed. They do not have this problem with other companies. I think they use sub standard parts so that they break and the batteries are horrible. All I know is my mom used her Jazzy for 7 years and only had to have it fixed once. It was easier to manuver and more comfortable for her. I really think that Hoveround should be held accountable for their crappy product, but I don't have the money to pursue it in a court or I would have. Now I am stuck with a sub standard chair that my mom relies on for another 4 and a half years until she can get a new one thru insurance and at that time I will make sure to find a company that has a good reputation and tack record to make sure she gets what she needs. It is an unfair abuse, and unfair to seniors that cannot walk and have to rely on these chairs to get around. Buyer beware. Extremely unhappy in NY.....

Just wanted to add the following as of 9/9/16... Mom got her replacement batteries in the mail. This must be a joke. They do not send a technician out to replace batteries under any circumstances. Here is the bad part. In order to replace the batteries in the chair it requires you to remove the joystick controller with an allen wrench, which is not included in the replacement kit and it also requires you to remove the seat portion of the chair as well. Now, my mom is lucky enough to have me living with her, but how in the earth is a person that is handicapped and cannot walk supposed to remove the joystick and seat and replace these batteries themselves? Another complaint that has had me hung up on and been rude to by customer service and I even got from one of them well you own it now it is your problem. For those of you that are looking... DO NOT BUY!!!!!

Helpful answer
Well Nancy, Lets say a person goes to the doctor, gets a prescription and goes to pick it up. Unfortunately, the Pharmacist says your insurance provider cannot cover your prescription at the time, yet if you wait, then later you come back after insurance is cleared or you can pay $200 right now to get it, if it is an emergency and hopefully the insurance can reimburse you in due time. Well Hoveround is equal to the Pharmacist! PERIOD!!! It is out of the doctors hands once the order is complete...CORRECT??? The order moves to your facility, and you all have the product to then verify through insurance and call the CONSUMER IF the insurance doesn't go through, the product is on back order, you have to order a different product instead. You NEVER as the product handler give or take away from the order, first with out the customer's consent, 2nd without the doctor's consent...EVER!!! In retail the customer is #1 priority, and should ALWAYS come first!!! I am surprised that you all haven't been a) sued by all of these customers complaining b) reported numerous times to the BBB or the Federal Government or c) shut down for bad customer service or lack there of. I want to say that I was going to try and get my Grandmother a hoveround but I am almost now other wise convinced that she deserves better than that kind of service. You all should be kissing the ground that your customer's walk on, besides aren't they who give YOU (YOUR) paychecks to keep your lights on and feed your babies??? Also, it is fairly obvious to me that NANCY, ANN, ANGELA...ect are on here most likely(as people from the company or mystery shopper/survey takers) making money off of writing good reviews. I hope that you all are happy for set some of these good customers up for sabotage/failure, you name it! So far I have yet to find a positive comment of a person with a picture. Seriously, tires going flat on multiple, not one but, MULTIPLE persons Carts and you all WILL NOT fix them??? If my grandma gets a hoveround on her own and she has on single problem, you all will be hearing from BBB and Lawyers. STOP the mess that you are creating and provide BETTER customer service!!!

Has anyone else in your community or your relatives with had any experience with Hoveround?

By Al M. on 9/6/13
Helpful answer

mine charge up about same when new I get a shudder feeling if I don't charge my battery`s when chair moves.

By Larry W. on 8/7/16
Helpful answer

The best answer I have for you is to cancel your order with them and do not accept it if it arrives anyway. Then, go to a local or nearby medical equipment store or pharmacy. By the date of your post, you have probably already taken possession of the Hoveround and have learned what the rest of us did. As for a positive thing about them, at least they have a cup holder, a side bag, and they can get you from point a to b (hopefully).

By Gin P. on 7/11/16
Helpful answer

I doubt if they are focused on service improvements because the large profit margin is in the initial purchase of the chair, not in doing warranty work or maintenance. Just a thought.

By J H. on 6/17/15
Helpful answer

Had a similar problem when I needed my batteries changed. Hoveround dispatch sucks big time. Their field servicer are great. When you order the wheels tell them of your situation and INSIST a repairman come out. Might cost for the visit.

By Ernie G. on 7/14/15

Helpful answer

Questions? Get answers from the Hoveround staff and other customers.

Hoveround?