US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

mikes473
11/25/16

Hover had url forwarding issues which began 11/24 at 8 pm and its currently 11/25 8:45 am and the issue still has not being resolved. There was no notification via email that the issue occurred. I was actually notified thru a customer. I sent two emails and there was no response until after I called them back in the morning. When I contacted Hover there was no automated greeting, just a guy who pick up the phone casually sounding like if he were in his boxers. He was very insensitive and told me there would be no compensation for my losses. STAY AWAY FROM THIS THOROUGHLY INCOMPETENT, UNPROFESSIONAL, INSENSITIVE NONCHALANT, BULL$#*! ASS COMPANY!

civilianu
11/23/16

Signed up for a domain name and small email box. Had many problems! Hover/Tucows could NOT get email box to work with any gmail account. Tried business account. Juanita got it to work fine!
Next day tried to log in.."invalid" account". Received email that Hover wrongfully established account so it was cancelled. Called in to find out what was going on. Rep sez account was improperly created. He tried to create account. NO GO!!! Told me it will take about a day. Next day NADA, NOTHING!! IN the meantime, my PayPal account is showing 2 additional billings for over $33 for initial account.
Called PayPal....they locked my account. Unauthorized payment!
Not 2 days later..PayPal email states ANOTHER billing on 11/19!!!! How? Account is locked??
Emails back and forth between idiots Managers refuse to believe apertural left by their PayPal transactions.
Referred to FBI IC3.

agents5
10/11/16

As many here probably know, network solutions (in my experience) is horrible, so we switched our many (15+) domains to hover. The process was as painless as it could be, live people pick up the phone, they are very helpful and knowledgeable. They have a valet service - for free where they will transfer your domains for you.
Thier web site is easy to use, they dont try to upsell you every 5 seconds, While I cant speak for the other people that had problems with them. That has not been my experience at all - quite the opposite.

jasminek12
8/19/16

My husband suggested Hover to me. This is the last time I take his business advice. So firstly they won't register my domain. At about the same time I tried registering with netregistry and that went through pretty much straight away.
However before I successfully got a domain with netregistry I tried to register with Hover four times - each time I was encouraged in my online Hover account to keep trying. Each time I received an email saying I would be refunded - by Hover. I have copies of these emails. Also each time I tried again with Hover my credit card available balance went DOWN - they definitely took money from me.
Now I was told by their support that I would receive the money back in '48 hours' and that the transaction had been 'cancelled' and my bank should process that back to my card. My bank said all they can do is cancel my card in case Hover does this to me again. It has been 72 hours now and they STILL have my money. Give me my money Hover! My business isn't even earning me any money yet and they take what little I have, give me NOTHING for my money and refuse to refund my money despite promising to do so IN WRITING.

gabrielh21
12/9/15

Initially, I had a great idea for a business name and website: let's just call it something.com.
Anyway, I did a whois search (i can't remember where but I usually use whois.net, which prominently displays the "HOVER" icon on their page). If memory serves me, this time I did a GoDaddy whois search instead. GoDaddy listed the domain as available and I registered it, and set it to private. I paid $60+. It turns out that I got so busy I never checked for my emailed receipt and after further research, my credit card didn't go through because I hadn't updated my billing address. My attempt at registration was on or around 11/30/2015. I just did a whois and my site has been taken by someone else with quite a few domains registered already. From the WHOIS information, it looks like the site was registered by that "someone else" on the same day!

I tried to request that he sell me the domain, but Hover wants $199 just to talk to him!

It could be that all whois.net traffic is monitored by Hover.com and somebody uses that data to quickly grab sites that people search for. I have no idea. Just a wild theory.

zerof
11/10/15

One of the worst companies that do business with it, because I lost "Google Authenticator" app, I gave them all info that prove of my ownership of the domain, but they are asking me paper of the court is that prove I am the same person.

- They do not have to verify by phone
- Technical support does not answer quickly
- You will hear, "We can not do something you" from the Technical Support

My rate : 0 / 10

Do not be fooled by the prices they offer. Service is more important than price.

veronicah10
10/6/15

I had a problem with a domain renewal so I wrote them an email. It took them over a week to answer it. Meanwhile, I called them and the person who answered wasn't of any help at all and sounded depressed. Just terrible all around. STAY AWAY.

patrickc55
9/21/15

So Hover had a security breach and had to reset all passwords for accounts in their webmail system. Unfortunately I hadn't updated my alternate email address so I was left locked out of my account, fair enough but they could have emailed my actual hover email address and I would have received the notice!

I was forced to seek out someone to create a notary for me which actually cost me more than the entire email subscription I have with them, I was offered several apologies but nothing else in return. Nor would they budge or take a compromise on identifying myself, such as providing a copy of my passport and a list of past emails.

Finally I sent them the notary and the person who was dealing with my request was on sick leave so they decided to put my (now outstanding for three weeks!) issue into a new issue which put me at the back of the pack of support issues!

So notary provided, four days has gone by without access to my email account, I asked if I could be prioritised and again was offered an apology but nothing else.

Had I not had this email address for so long I would definitely switch providers.

chrisw114
8/5/15

I can't get hold of anyone at this company. Live chat is unresponsive and no body answers the phones during standard operation hours.

If i could, I would sue them for bad customer service!

But what I will do is... I'll move my domains out of this $#*!ty company and hope no one uses them anymore.

marks211
2/1/15

I transferred my domain entries to hover.com, and they were a disaster. I culdn't change the TTL, and although they claimed their TTL was 15 minutes, it took days and days. Even then, they only seemed to propagate when I hassled them

danp43
10/23/14

Hover cancelled some mailboxes that were not being used by a customer, even though that customer had ordered these and paid for them (and planned to use them in the future). They reallocated the space from the cancelled emails to those emails that were not being used, but that is not what the customer wanted or needed. Unbelievable that a company would just do this, as though they could read minds. They did reverse the move after the complaint, but a company is supposed to have your back, not make you have to watch your back.

stevenh54
6/26/14

Tucows is in the process of cannibalizing Hover's assets by selling off domain names. Other former customers claim Hover provided between 10 and 45 days notice of termination of their email contracts. In my case the email address I had for 16 years suddenly stopped working and I only found out they had discontinued my service and deleted all my files after calling customer support. They agreed to refund the money I paid them for the remainder of my lease, but steadfastly refused to compensate me for actual damages. Do not do business with Hover!

browerd
10/28/13

The email "forward-only" service is now spam filtering an cannot be turned off. It marked Amazon and many other obvious sites as spam. I need to constantly log into hover just to un-mark spam. A forwarding service that spam filters is worthless.

sh4346
10/8/13

"It better represents you. It's easier to communicate. You never need to change it. Plus, you can use it with whatever email program you prefer. We can help."

What a bold, misleading and inaccurate statement found on hover web site.

I have used an email account for me and my family for nearly 15 years. Out of nowhere email telling me no longer available and in 9 weeks you will not be able to use the domain. Tough 5hit basically. Read our t&cs . You have no rights we can terminate the contract when we want nothing you can do about it.

Each subsequent provider Mailbank, Netidentity, Tucows and now Hover have been less and less competent but I still renew every year.

Today I receive an email telling me I have 63 days to leave as my email addresses are going to be cancelled.  A joke I thought or maybe a fishing email scam trying to get me to reveal personal details. Are you having a ¿@#%ing laugh? What is occurring here? Hace you sold off the domain to a large company?
After the unacceptably short notice period given to migrate and multiply and having been treated this way would you really expect me to transfer to another name only for the same to happen again?
Am happy now as have got own address and am in control of domain not just renting it. Also cheaper as I get 5 emails for the same price as 2 from another website hosting company.
Avoid hover / Tucows see other reviews for reasons and ignore the positive review written by the company themselves.

jennm4
7/15/13

i would give ZERO STAR if i could. they automatically renew your domain even if you have cancelled it. i CANNOT believe it! and i called customer service to complain, but the representative on the phone was like "at this point, i cannot do anything about it." he repeated that statement 3 times! it was not pleasant talking to him on monday morning. DO NOT SIGN UP!

js70
5/21/13

I've been a longtime customer, since they were MailBank in 1998. At the time they offered email forwarding service for a very reasonable price, and I got locked in to using a nice email address that they provided. Over the years the prices have gone from reasonable to downright robbery!
DO NOT SIGN UP WITH HOVER! You will get locked in to an email address and they jack the prices when you become reliant on it.

johnw150
5/13/13

I'm another one who's used it for years but only under sufferance. Customer service/support has been woeful since hover took over NetIdentity.
Use another provider if you can...

normc1
11/5/12

Stay away from this vendor. Little or no value other than hijacking your family's name.

Started off as Nameplanet, respectable organization committed to protecting peoples rights to their on-line presence. Since with Hover, tons of spam, lots of down time and poor service with barely more than automated responses to requests... all while they increase the price. I have a very uncommon family name and they own it. They won't say how many users are signed on for it... just that they own it.

orjane
5/25/12

Terrible services. The downtime % of my site. is ridiculous. Stay away if you need a reliable hosting service!

neds1
5/22/12

I was a user when the company still called itself NetIdentity.com. Actually since before that when it was called Mailbank.com. The original service plan was 9.95 for 1 real POP email account, which was advertised as for life.
Since then, company names changed probably with different owners and management. After a few price hikes I've left feeling disappointed by the new pricing and service plans.
From a support standpoint, the company was responsive and responsible and reliable.
For users that want a easy one-stop provider of high-demand custom domains Hover may be for you.
I would suggest however puchasing your own .com/.net/.org domain and buying a hosting service instead for more flexibility. $35/year for a single email may be OK. But I'm certain you can get much more paying just a little more.

michelles25
1/8/12

Hover is absolutely fantastic!!!

I am totally against SOPA, the Stop Online Piracy Act. The bottom line is, Go Daddy supported it... until they got grilled by the Internet for doing so. GoDaddy's SOPA support lost them a ton of customers apparently, myself and my friends included, not to mention Wikipedia... This negative response led Go Daddy to eventually take its hat out of the ring, so to speak, choose a position of neutrality, and then do a total reversal. Now, GoDaddy claims they no longer support SOPA. LIES!!! Hover, on the other hand, never supported SOPA and came out against it before it was cool to do so. Hover is built on OpenSRS and owned by Tucows. Sure, they offer great service at an affordable price. However, what perhaps matters most is they are trustworthy! Even though there are cheaper alternatives out there, you definitely get your money's worth with Hover.

Their DNS management interface is really sweet. Basically, you can edit multiple domains in bulk, or only certain types of entries. Domain privacy is included. Their surname email service is the bomb.

Highly recommend this company and I'm not sure what the negative reviews are about.

A++++!!!!

tedd5
2/4/11

I had a Hover account for years. Then one day they send me an email and say that its too bad but I can't keep it, go somewhere else. We'll give you 45 days to get lost. Sleazebag company.

mohammedn
11/22/10

very poor service, very fast (but very BAD) customer service.

Don't use

Unreliable

jasonn1
5/12/10

Hover is an amazing, ethical, cheap domain name registration service. Their prices are realistic and fair, their services are easy to use and understand, and customer service is amazing. In my experience, they're the best out of all domain name registration services. I couldn't be happier! I love the way they handle domains!

I switched over last month from my old registrar who did things like put 60-day locks on my domain names or spammed me with advertisements constantly. For example, the prices at my old registrar seemed low but all of the hidden fees kept stacking up. For example, their .coms were really cheap, but private registration was an extra $9.99 yearly, making the total costs to me around $20. Hover's .coms are only $15 and private registration is included free. It can easily be turned on and off via Hover's intuitive GUI.

Hover's website is easy to use and free of annoying, flashy, spammy advertisements unlike the big, popular, misleading registrar. Hover's checkout process is simple and easy and they don't try to constantly push additional products along the way.

Hover is amazing. The prices are realistic, fair, and direct. There are no hidden fees. Also, for those who are curious, people may often ask how to buy a domain name through Tucows. To buy a Tucows domain, go through Hover.com since Hover is Tucows' personal front. It's all OpenSRS anyway.

I discovered Hover from a Yahoo! answers post linking to http://www.hovercoupon.com/ which had a 10% off hover.com coupon code, HONEST, and a lot of really useful information.

Switching was really easy but remember to disable private registration at your previous registrar first or all sorts of Hell can break loose. =/

GREAT COMPANY!

1 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Hover staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
on 1/8/12
Answer
eileenn
A: thank you, Hover, for not asking me for money!! These sites out there advertise "FREE" everything, and once you log on, they show the fees. It's unbelievable. Total scammers.
on 7/23/10
Helpful answer
Add your answer
Questions? Get answers from the Hover staff and other customers.

Hover?