US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

saraz4
12/7/16

1. First I will talk about their "guaranteed" contests. You can submit free work and they say they will guarantee the payment, I participated in a guaranteed contest with ID 878221 and client asked me several times for modifications which I did. Time passed I waited for a winner (I was top contestant, but I was not picked by client and client disappeared). Now according to their policies it was freelancer.com's job to come in and distribute reward among top entries but what they did was unbelievable. They DELETED the "guaranteed" contest without rewarding any freelancer. Now read the response from their support team: "We recently have done some improvement to make the site more secured for valuable users, like you. Hence, the system automatically deletes contests that may cause liability to us and its users. On a different note, you may earn more from contests when you are picked a winner. This will give you higher earnings, good ratings, and feedback, which will help you be awarded more contests and/or projects."

2. Second kind of fraud is more pathetic and shameless, you apply for a job, you are hired, you are paid, project ends, you receive 5 star feedback. WOW great! But after that they can close the project take back money form your account, yes trust me they did this. My money was stolen after I received 5 star feedback form client. Don't know if it went back to client's pocket or Matt Barrie's pocket I don't care but this is a fact they can screw you at anytime, it could have made sense if I was kicked when project was not complete but doing this after project is closed and feed backs are exchanged is the most shameless scam I ever faced.

I have screenshots of these scams and I am sharing for those who believe it is not possible on earth.

Tip for consumers: Never ever go near freelancer.com

rasheller
12/5/16

They did not let me know they where taking money from my account. I just looked at my bank statement. I was like my goodness what is this payment for. I was under the guise that i was making a one time payment for the ability to make bids and be verified. Little did i know they where taking 10$ a month from me after that. When i send them a email expressing my concern they tell me to wait until the end of month to cancel because then i would be waisting money. In the email when i told them to cancel it they just told me to. There is no phone number to call and they will not refund me. Scam alert stay away... dont give them your info.

dawlinp
12/3/16

Horrible, it just a piece of _)(*#($_#... I just had wrote this to them:

I'm trying to verify my identity. I had tried to do that before without success and without any feedback about the reason.

I will try this again. I will upload my driver licence and for the id document and a digital photo of a bank issue. I will alter the document because You shouldn't know anything about the credit limit, last balance, card number, or anything else. I thinks is too much information and I will never give you all that information and if I get hacked be sure I will take action about that because unique people that I will provide too much information about me is to you.... And yes, I don't trust in you but I'm just playing your game, because you don't trust in my and ask me to give you validation of everything, but you can hack me.

I will try again but, you should accept that you are asking a lot of data, I'm also thinking to open a thread in quora about that because is too dangerous to allow a company to know everything about you. You could lost control of one employ and my data can be leaked.

I think is too offensive your politics about identification and worst the address section is just bad as trash, you ask me about postal code... but in my country we don't use that information, so why $#*!ing $#*! is that field required? is freelancer a page done only for us workers?

I'm pretty upset with freelancer, I think is just horrible and I hope some better service come to the community of freelancer because you don't care about giving a good service, you just want take money from what people work.

I hope that I can transfer my money as soon as possible. After that, I will delete my account and I and not just deleted , I want that all register about me be removed from database, backups, hard disk, memories, papers, your mind, from everything, I won't never use freelancer and I won't never recommend you, conversely I will give a very but immensely bad feedback to anyone.

And I won't like your service support, I had already told you that is horrible, it take days in answer. So If you want, validate my identity if no well don't do it, just give me my money and forget about me.

Do you know what..., I had decided to cancel the verification, I'm just upset, if you want a validation I can send you my id and the code but not a bank issue or anything else. You are pretty mistrustful people, you think everybody will try you cheat you. No, not everybody is trying to cheat you, I'm just a young man that worked for a mexican for one month for just $350, you got your money and I want my money because after all, I was who did the job.

And look this https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.freelancer.com everybody hate you. Last I just want my money in the bank account. All my money. I will have to do 2 transactions because you have a limit, that's just other *(&#$0 you have. That company should be destroyed by Afghanistan or by North Korea.

So just be sure my money arrive to my account.

My desires are that you company be improved or that break but it can not continue equals.

joel871
12/2/16

I signed up for Freelancer.com without doing very much research, as it *seemed* on the up-and-up, but a few minutes after logging on, auto-scripts were creating fake projects for me, mass-bidding of freelancers was taking place and the site was trying to take payments from my CC/Paypal (which I had wisely not entered yet) and demanding payment. The site even requires a $5 payment to delete these fictitious "projects" the auto-script creates - can you believe it? I just closed my laptop and will never, ever, ever log onto Freelancer.com again.

It was insane, and this site is the absolute worst on the Internet. Had I entered a credit card or Paypal account, I would probably be out hundreds or even thousands of dollars just for logging onto the site a single time. How a company can pull a fraud scam like this is insane and I cannot believe it is still online.

Stay far away and do not even create an account or their auto-scripts will have you in the poor house.

Tip for consumers: STAY FAR AWAY!!

talhar
12/1/16

Great work as always. Highly recommended for all needs

rolfk2
12/1/16

Dear translator colleague: Stay away from this site! They're just trying to make money on you. Do not give them free access to your Paypal account.

ellieg16
11/30/16

Stay away from this website. They are filled with bunch of liars. I hired a freelancer who never finished the project and I was charged for it. The freelancer closed his account and I left with nothing! What a shame!

anonymousa96
11/29/16

I had a project and found a contractor and set up milestone payments etc. On the day I noticed that freelancer.com made 2 charges, one a full amount for the project, and the other a portion of the project amount (one of the milestone payment).

When I found that a double charge was made, I wrote to them and was told that the money will be refunded. In a week or so when I checked my PayPal account, the money was not returned, and since then nightmare began.

Since freelancer.com knows and acknowledged that a double charge was made, they could have simply returned the credit to my PayPal account, and this is what a "normal" person would expect from a "normal" business operation. Instead, freelancer.com has been coming up with all kind of B...S... not to returning the money. Worse yet, they are NOT even paying the contractor, although all milestones are met, and payment to contractor from the money that is already fully paid by me to them on the first day of project start, is simply amazing business practice I can not imagine. They are blaming that my account is locked (or "limited access") and blaming me and my dispute for asking for money back that they took illegally as the reason. How clever!!

I am still fighting to get my money back that they should not have taken from me. I must say DO NOT GET NEAR THIS SITE/VENDOR. THEY ARE NO BETTER THAN CON OPERATION or SIMPLE THIEF.

P.S. When I tried to reach them, I was never able to talk to a "real" person. All communications are restricted to Message Board, and every time I communicate either a new person (I mean first name, which does not mean that it is a "real" person) or generic id.

hectorg31
11/29/16

This site is terrible. Unlike other, non scammer sites, they bill freelancers when they get awarded a job rather than taking a commission from the payment and they doesn't make that difference clear on the sites description. They have no protection for the freelancer, if an employer takes your code and closes the account you are left dead on the water. The support doesn't help you and will just give you excuses without solving anything. Stay clear from this site, it is good for the scammers and they profit from you getting scammed.

jiaoz
11/28/16

Do not believe the 5 stars reviews, they collute with the company to boost their repute

garl210
11/26/16

the web site cons one into "clicking" into financial obligations, charges your PayPal account and promises 250+ entries which never materialize. The site makes you think you have started a 30 day "contest" but it only gives three days then tells you "upgrades" for additional time is available for additional charges.

joela28
11/23/16

I wish I had come here first! I have used a few different Freelancer-type online sites with some great results, however Freelancer.com is nothing short of a scam. Huge amount of hidden fees and charges that are NOT made clear before signing up. We set a maximum budget to spend on our site and they took the entire amount before any work had even started. On top of this they charge payment fees, project fees, recruiter fees and more. I cancelled the job within hours of listing purely on the basis they are dishonest and basically a scam. Their own terms and conditions clearly state you can cancel within a WEEK and get a full refund but they have denied it. 3 weeks later I haven't received a cent back. I've written them multiple, extensive emails, used the chat support and got no where. I've cited their own T&Cs as well as the federal law and they just come back with 'We've looked into your request, and you are not entitled to a refund.' I've been extremely patient and persistent and got nowhere. Now, out of pocket and haven't had a cent of work done. If after all this you still want to use them I highly recommend asking for a full statement of charges Before giving them your card. Once they have it you will never get your money back.

nothappyf
11/23/16

Freelance canceled employers account because of violations, and they did not notify me at all. I was the one realizing account is not active. Now I have 48 hours of unpaid work and $$$ missing. They've even generated the invoice for which they knew it would not be paid as the, again, account and employer were banned from Freelancer service itself. When I asked what the solution is, they said the employer is the one who pays me and they are "merely a platform and not in charge."
I guess, in this case, a fake employer and suspended account is more important than a paying member. If you have any payment related issues, Freelancer will not help you in any way.

alekc2
11/22/16

Administration blocked the funds that I earned on two projects. The employer paid me money and left positive feedback. Administration of this site took this amount (about ~550$) and now will not return. They say that i need to be careful that this is my problem. They don't want to say why they took my money. I have read on the Internet that they did so with different freelancers. Now I think that it is impossible to work on this site until they do not return my money which they stole from me

Tip for consumers: I do not advise!

gajm
11/21/16

Saidly Freelancer scammed me by giving me free trial proffesional membership, but after free use automaticly charged my paypall for membership that I just tried and didn't use . I wrote them for refunding me...and they said that they can see in their database that i used benefits of profesional membership just once (only in free trial) but wount refund it. Legit scaming!

vans32
11/17/16

I received two milestones for my work and after one hour both of them were 'Reversed'. I tried to contact them, but they firstly don't have any number, secondly their live chat is a crap, they don't even bother to help you. They say they can always reverse the money, but HOW is that ethical? You work, you are paid and if they decide to get the money back, that's it? For no reason? Even in the terms and conditions, they are unclear: 'eg a stolen credit card'. Yeah, and they detected that stolen credit RIGHT after I was PAID. Scams, they have people who post fake projects to earn commisions! Avoid

artemz
11/15/16

Terrible experience. Freelancer has not transparent user interface. by default they pushed you to payment subscription and services without notification. Refund policy is not effective. And it is hard to get your money back. A lot of scammers within users.

jay-annb
11/12/16

basically, they killed the freelancing business by purchasing all competition.

i was a successful top coder at vworker/rentacoder for years

they they purchased it.

my solid reputation was migrated there and i began to have offers. however the company stole money from me on each and every occasion they had. i've been deceived constantly. my complaints vanished. their support staff are complete idiots.

i was never paid in full for a single project
finally i closed my account which took 20 emails or so

lalits8
11/9/16

First of all its a client BIASED platform so even if you file any dispute or client decide to initiate a refund even after months of work complete, you will get a refund confirm without notifying you and all they will say is ontact client.
Never work on Hourly contracts.
They charge there comission in advacne and they give a $#!t what they pay you or even not pay you after they change there access and stop responding to your messages.

Go for any other site but not freelancer.com Never ever

jamieh99
11/7/16

Freelancer post fake projects, often fixed price, to try to scam finder fees from users. Dreadful business with even worse customer service, don't touch them, go to reputable websites like Upwork and Peopleperhour

nikkip22
11/6/16

Freelancer is a scam with a scam behind the scam. I could not believe this ridiculous site! Furious that this site is still running. I was charged all kinds of fees because I accepted to work jobs. The jobs did not get completed because the job was a scam. so while someone was trying to scam me, freelancer got their cut. for example I accepted a job that paid $80 i think the freelancer fees i think were 5$ and they keep that 5$ weather you get paid or not!!! It's ridiculous how many "employers" are on their that steal your time and money and freelancer steals your money right off the top! Don't waste your time with this site!

hahah3
11/4/16

They took deposit money for me for a project that a guy cancelled 15 minutes after accepting my application. They took believe it or not, $200!!! They don't protect the freelancers, and the whole thing just looks like scam made by them, just so they can make money by fooling you.
STAY AWAY! Money grabbing scammers. Absolute s#!t of a website.

firstl18
11/1/16

WARNING PAYPAL WONT PROTECT YOU!!!!!
Freelancer takes your money but you'll loose even more. Without realising.
Employees are all part of there sceme!
Do not agree for them to automaticlly take your money, they take it with out you knowing they say to paypal you've signed an agreement and paypal close the case against you! Your money disappears for nothing. Writting emails no answers. No phone number they are scammers to the highest degree. They use the law in a criminal way to get away with taking money from your account. I am going to a current affairs and ASIC will be my next move. I am also discussed in paypal.

Any good reviews are from made from Freelancer scammer themselves. Don't get fooled!!!!!

arunv1
10/29/16

I just happened to visit their site and obviously happend to create a login . I might have gone through their site for 5 min
After may be 15/ 20 days woke up with a message that freelancer had withdrawn money from my bank account for some subscription.
Had to block my card online banking and have to apply for all these manually. I never authorised for any subscription I really don't completly what how do they do in the first place
Registered a case . I wish I had never visited their site at all

yestad
10/28/16

It doesn't matter that you took my money, I will forget it in a while. But I will post reviews on here and other websites so everyone can read it for a long time. If your company's credibility is affected, it is karma for what you did. I had been a good customer and never caused any problems for you all these years but then you brought this on me. Today you lost me forever, keep doing such business practices and tomorrow you may lose everyone else.

To everyone reading this, I do not recommend you use freelancer.com, they used to be good but this is no longer the case. Nowadays there are so many issues of financial dishonesty towards their users. Yes they may be a public listed company, but that doesn't matter if on the ground they treat people like you and me badly, and that somehow our money in their system may 'disappear'. Stay away, there are many better alternatives to go for.

Tip for consumers: We hate scammer too! So don't bother use Freelancer.com!

70 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

194 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Freelancer staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
patn22
Pat N.
2 weeks, 1 day ago
Answer
stepsp
Steps P.
A: I am over Freelancer.com. I have been scammed so many times. So I started a petition to NASA. They use the site for contests etc so I thought it would a good idea to ask them to STOP supporting this scam website.

Hopefully if enough people sign it, they will and that will shake up freelancer.com (I doubt it though!!!! They seem to be beyond repair!!)

Anyway, please sign it, share it, support it. You know the drill. Thanks.

Ps sorry if you see this cut and pasted on other posts, I want to get this message out super duper quick and as far as possible. Cut and paste saves me time!!
Pss Please help spread the word!!
5 days, 16 hours ago
4 weeks ago
Answer
stepsp
Steps P.

Anyway, please sign it, share it, support it. You know the drill. Thanks.

Pss Please help spread the word!!
5 days, 16 hours ago