Review of Freelancer

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

cirop
3/23/17

The date and time of the publication for each logo or work in Contest is not published on screen, only number of Entry this is not professional and sure! Some competitions are manipulated. Customers are the same who proclaim themselves winners! The same staff Freelancer create contest for $ 2000, only for make move people with a premium subscription!!!! These gentlemen are lawyer denounce!

liamg12
3/22/17

CAREFUL with freelancer.com. They just lost my $5000 account because owe of $9.95!
Chat support didnt accept my stand that I never signed on membership.

kerrinw
3/22/17

My review is for the company, not the graphic artist I chose for my project. The bid price was $117, $119.99 with Paypal fee. I created one "milestone", which is a payment that is made, but withheld from the artist until the customer is satisfied and "releases" the project. I happened to check Paypal and found that I had been billed twice- and opened up a dispute for the second charge. I asked the artist why I had been billed twice- he stated that I had created a "second milestone" (I did not)- and he cancelled the second one. However, Freelancer never refunded the second charge, so it is still in dispute. Meanwhile, my Freelancer acct is suspended (because I opened a dispute), and I cannot release the project, which means my artist does not get paid and I cannot leave a review for the nice job he did. VERY thankful I used Paypal, so I can get the extra charge refunded. Totally unfair to the artist. And don't get conned into the extra $29 fee for special help, not worth it. I would have used the artist for additional projects, but won't go back to Freelancer again. NO customer service.

Tip for consumers: Do your research before working with this company- I wish I did.

levroyj
3/21/17

Hey, i was rather surprised to sign in and see scams flocking me to my email. Huh!! Ruined with scams i would suggest

elainew40
3/19/17

They are laced with fake and scam freelance jobs from users. And their emails are very tricky. I was offered a job (which turned out to be fake). When I clicked on the job to view it, it automatically made me accept it. Now I'm not the hook for the 25 dollar freelance fee. I'm hoping they give it back to me. Bad site, very little real jobs. DON"T DO IT.

veronicak9
3/17/17

You can find some decent projects there, which is approximately 1/10, but whenever you face any problem, the stuff is most unhelpful, oblivious and unprofessional. They won't listen to the voice of reason and they don't care about protection of the freelancers. All they want is to get as much money from you and they don't give a $#*! about the way they do it.

sabihh
3/17/17

One of a most pathetic freelance site, I have ever experienced.

First time a client call dispute, i provided him all the evidence and they still not ask me anything and decided it in favor of that client and I lost my money.

Second time, client paid me some extra payment mistakenly and he told me about this. I don't have a way to pay back to him, so I ask him to co-ordinate with freelancer support. Freelancer staff never have an idea what to do, so they ask my client to call a dispute and created equal amount of milestone payments as start of this job. I opened dispute and saw that client wanted to pay me 0 euro from 240 euro. Client ask me to accept his offer and I accepted it. After that, I realized it they stole my 240 euro.

Basically, they usually hit freelancers to earn money. Also, whenever you accept a job on Freelancer they deduct project fee from your financial account instantly if client cancel that job you lost your money in that way either.

Stay away from these cheaters! Use Upwork instead, Upwork has a clean way to resolve disputes.

lornah23
3/12/17

This site is a joke and should be shut down, the majority of those advertising work are scam artists, do not go anywhere near this site. This also happens on Upwork but not to the degree it does on Freelancer. I have had some good work on Upwork and paid promptly, so if you are looking for work, use that one but join the community and get information from seasoned freelancers.

kaiy6
3/9/17

This company is a total scam. I posted one project to see how it works. First it asked you to enter a "competition" to grand a project, so that they can take more money from you. I didn't buy it. Then the freelancer asked for a price higher than what he used to bid my project. Which is ok, because I know he needs to pay a fee too. Then the weirdest part happened: four repetitive charges, for one project with one milestone (therefore should be only one charge). I emailed them to ask for a refund, and it's been a week but the issue is still not resolved. Horrible process and lousy customer service.

byrond7
3/8/17

It's now almost a month and a half but Freelancer still has my account suspended even though I was the one who was scammed by a freelancer who took someone else's work (Disney) and pawned it off as his own. I could get sued for using the banner he made because it is a copyright infringement but Freelancer keeps quoting their terms and Conditions thinking that their small business trumps the law. They also kept telling me to do things like:

#1 - talk with the freelancer to resolve the problem which is literally impossible bc they suspended my account - and getting a reply back from them is impossible bc you can only comment once and have to wait for their reply back which can take weeks at a time

#2 - submit a ticket which is also literally impossible with a suspended account

I supplied them with an attachment of the work which was submitted and an image direct from Disney which matched it so it should have taken a day at most for them to acknowledge the copyright infringement and settle my account but they are far too incompetent for that. Instead, they just kept quoting their terms and conditions whilst conveniently ignoring their own copyright infringement policy which they obviously don't care about as much as it says they do.

They are the most unprofessional and incompetent company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

drewb28
3/6/17

The first thing you'll notice is that you need to give them your credit card details before you can do much on the site. Which if you succumb will be your downfall, I was curious about the different memberships that they advertise all over the site and clicked the Upgrade button just to see what perks it would give, but just like that with no confirmation my card was debited £40 for a months membership! (at this point I was on the trial and had no interest in paying).

So I hopped over to the customer help immediately and did manage to speak to a rep, when I explained that there had been no confirmation and I hadnt used any features she then printed out a list of the T&C's that I had signed when I registered, I kept at her, saying that I had only been registered for one day, with 30 days left on my trial why would I choose to pay for it. Eventually she managed to process a refund for me, great I thought - not too painful as I left the chat.

Except the refund she gave me was in their site credit. So with £40 in credit, I thought the easiest way around their pesky system would be to withdraw it like you would do with your earnings - nope. The withdraw system apparently doesnt work for "deposits".

Again, seriously frustrated I messaged into the chat. This time my case was forwarded onto the finance department which returned my money a day or two later.

So in summary, if you make one wrong click on their site expect to be fighting tooth and nail to see any sign of your money again. They take every opportunity to take fees, first when the employer is paying for the contests, then again when you actually complete the work.

Avoid it at all costs, there are better websites available.

nitishs
3/4/17

I accepted two projects, ,which were completely fake profiles, After freelancer took my money for accepting those projects, those employers never replied my messages. I am sick of chasing freelancer to refund my money as I haven't got any work from those projects.
And guess, what after so many days I received email that your account is debt pay now or we will suspend account.
This is not first time happened.

Who the f*****g hell want your bull***t service.
NEVER EVER GO WITH THEM

drmikel
3/3/17

CAVEAT! This crew has perfected the art of debiting money from accounts. To begin with, these hucksters demand an account they can debit funds from - without alerting you except in some small print boring article they know most desperate time pressed entrepreneurs will quickly breeze past. Later, when you discover their agenda and try to get them to stop debiting your account, they won't answer you, won't help you, and won't stop stealing your cash. BOTTOM LINE: had to change my account to get these creeps to quit pilfering my money.

philippet2
3/2/17

I needed news articles written in native Portuguese so I accepted the offer to do the job from a freelancer that was marked as "recommended". That's when hell began. I sent her three precise subjects and she told me she would "scan my website" to see the content. After some hours, she submitted articles subjects that had nothing to do with what I asked. I opened a dispute to get a refund, but then she came back with subjects that looked more or less ok. I waited for 1 day, and then got the articles... Oh my! First of all, the articles were written in gibberish English (obviously some automated translation). She said if I was happy she would then "have them translated into Portuguese (another automated translation I guess). Also, the info on the news was outdated. I had no choice but to tell her she had to cancel the obligatory milestone payment I made or else I would open a dispute. Luckily she agreed, but her condition was that I didn't leave a bad review on her profile. Of course, during the process, Freelancer.com took fees in every step of this horror (they even take a fee when you cancel a project due to falling for their trap). And to add insult to the injury, I now have to wait 15 days to get my funds back on my PayPal account. So to sum it up: completely unprofessional service, completely inaccurate ratings of freelancers who are mostly dishonest people who hold your milestone payment hostage until you promise them not to give a bad review and the Freelancer.com thieves filling their pockets with fees taken on unsuspecting employers.Never again!

Tip for consumers: Do yourself a favor and avoid this site at all costs.

israt3
2/28/17

Hi everybody,

I have been working in freelancer.com for more than 6 years now.

I'm one of the most reviewed freelancers in the translation field, so I would actually love that freelancer.com would treat their users honestly and would not cheat them, because I got a lot projects from this site, and they are playing all the cards to make people stop using it which would damange my company profits.

I will tell you about my last experience:

I accepted a project for a new client, for a total of 600$.
Before accepting the project, I always require the client to create the full milestone payment in order to have a payment guarantee. (For the people who does not know what a milestone is: a milestone payment is a payment that is frozen in the project and taken from the client's account, and once the project is completed the client click on "release" button and then it arrives to the freelancer's account. This way both parties are some kind "assured".)

The client created the milestone so I accepted the project. After accepting the project freelancer.com takes his fee (5%) so they took their 30$.
I started working on the project for many days and then I delivered it to the client. The client, quickly replied me that everything was okay with the translation and that he would release the payment. Then, after few minutes, the client came back again to me and said that freelancer.com did not allow him to release the milestone because his account was under verification revision.
This is the first big incompetent thing of the site - why do freelancer.com allow a client to create project, and a milestone payment and start hiring for services when he/she even have not been verified? The answer is simple, because they want to to steal your fee.

I told the client not to worry, that we would wait. Then we waited 2 weeks and freelancer.com did not approve the verification of his account. Then the client decided that he would cancel his account and he would pay me by Paypal if freelancer.com did not solve the issue. I warned him that it was against the Terms and Conditions of freelancer.com and that they could suspend our accounts. He decided to open a dispute with his payment method supplier against freelancer.com and to cancel the project. He cancelled the project and my milestone payment dissapeard, without me being notified about it by freelancer.com nor even being able to dispute this milestone. This is the second big incompetent way of working of freelancer.com. Why do they offer a milestone payment service if later, the client can just cancel the project (after you have delivered your work) and run away with your money? This is just unbelievable and against any kind of protection policy for their users.
Thanks God the client was a good person and he did not want to cheat me and said that I should not worry because he would pay me once the verification process was over.
I calmed down a little bit because my 600$ were not totally lost... but then I remembered about the 30$ fee that freelancer had charged me. I checked my transaction history and show that they had not refunded it, therefore I contacted them via chat. I explained them the situation and told them that they should give the fee back to my account, because the project had been cancelled and I had not yet being paid a dollar from that project. Then, their reply was the cleverest thing I have ever heard. They just said me that their Terms and Conditions said the project fees are not refunded. I started wondering if I was speaking with a robot... "Yes, but the project is cancelled, no earning made through it, why should I pay for a project where I have not made any profit?". And the reply was: "Note that our Terms and Conditions are to be met. For next time, you should explore your options before accepting a project".... Worst customer service ever! How can you treat like that to a client? So you're telling me that you're cheating without even trying to hide it?

So they don't protect their freelancers and allow that a client can cancel a project and a payment whenever he wants, and moreover they don't fund back the fees to the freelancer from projects that have been cancelled by the client. So if you're a freelancer you are double $#*!*d, the client goes away without paying you and freelancer charges you his marvelous fee!

I feel really dissapointed with them, actually cheated. They should respect their users and most important, they should respect their freelancer's work and efforts. They should keep in mind that the slavery period hopeful ended and that we work for money and that our time is valious.

dsdsa1
2/27/17

do not use this site!!!! you will not get payment if the buyer do not verify even they have paid freelance!!

sonalk2
2/27/17

I have stupidly had many negative experience, all fake writer, bad customer service, exchange rate is super high I once wanted to deposit 130 dollar they took 15 dollar exchange, Writers are somewhere from poor villages in the world trying to get ur buck..they waste your time, and if you are trying to get help with some uni thing, they threaten you, bad English, fake website, its will fall soon thieves.

johnv137
2/27/17

Freelnacer.com deducted mine money without informing me and without giving any reasons. They allow people to post project without any validation, and when you work on the tasks and get the money, and after couple of days they deducts money from your account saying that freelancer account was doing fraud activities. you will get nothing there simply wasting time on working projects posted there because at the end you will get nothing.

jona2063
2/25/17

it was easy enough to get a freelancer to take care of a 2 minute code fix, but the moment he was done, he kept badgering me about payment every 7 seconds.. which inadvertently cause a triple billing in the process, and then, you have to go back to the employee to get them to release the "milestone".. all of which is extremely confusing to a new user, which I was.. I build websites and yet had a horrible time navigating that site, and ended up triple billed because it looks like you are billing once, and just confirming but you are actually posting multiple payments and milestones for things that don't exist and then you have a credit on the account.. so, it is partly my fault for letting the employee badger me through the payment process so he could have it immediately, but, with professionals this would never happen, in addition, when he realized he needed to release the extra milestone, he tried to force me into giving him a tip for doing so, good ethics.. and of course I didn't, so a 20.00 job, with their fees becomes 25, plus two duplicates, ends up at 60 plus dollars.. their customer service guy was nice enough, but must have been taking several calls at once and when he sorted out about 2 of the issues, he bailed mid chat.. after making me wait all that time he apparently couldn't be put upon to finish the last step with me.. do yourself a huge favor.. don't go near this service.. ugh..

anona38
2/22/17

**a very nice person at their support helped me to refund the 500 USD so its not a problem anymore**

Freelancer.com is currently in the process of scamming me from 500 USD and there is nothing I can do about it. I will probably get in touch with my lawyer becasue 500 USD is alot of money. But I doubt he can do anything about it either.
My bank-account is now at a -amount and I am so done with my life.

STAY AWAY from freelancer.com
Or even better, close it all down because its NOT okay to do like this. They STEAL my money. What freelancer.com is doing is criminal.

I will update you with how this ends.

Them stealing 500 USD from me(the story is too long to be written down here) is not everything:

They draw small amounts of money from my bank-account all the time and I never get an explenation to why they do this. I even removed my credit-card from my freelancer.com account but they keep draw these amounts!

They take fees for EVERYTHING. If you do a deposit with money to your freelancer-account, they will make a big fee out from it. They will even give you a fee for the currency exchange that takes place for EVERYTIME you either do a deposit or a withdrawal and the currency exchange fees is more than double the currency exchange fees you have at example your bank.
If you make dispute for a project, they will make a fee out of it.
If your employer doesnt answer you, you HAVE to cancel the project and guess what, if you close a project they will take a fee from it.

EVERYTHING with freelancer.com is a fraud and everything they are doing is criminal. Until the AFP does something about freelancer.com , STAY AWAY from it.

charlesl97
2/21/17

Just hired a writer and couldn't move things forward as he felt the freelancer's fee was too high (yes it is for a newbie). So I cancelled the project and lost 9 USD. Contractor is stuck with a -33 USD balance in his account. Freelancer has been in business for long and needs to understand the pain points of clients and contractors. They have fees for everything, exams, membership, projects, uploads etc. Stop holding fees for cancelled projects. It's just not right.

stevef119
2/21/17

This website takes your money & wont refund! Full of bots & scammers. Also there is a $#*!ing fee for even existing on here.

tylerk28
2/21/17

They will take your money and not offer a refund, fake projects everywhere on this site. A huge waste of time and money.

janakaw
2/20/17

Its good opportunity to work from home with my own business and also you can enjoy it and you can work with happy. and also like to say this is the future in the world every thing can do via online. I like to say connect to the future today via Freelancer.com.

adoogoodaa
2/20/17

Absolutely infuriating!!! Be careful when pushing any action button within this site!

It's absolutely criminal how they conduct business. You would think its 2017, it's a website; it's easy, current in supply & demand.

But if you delete your post, Ahhh a fee is debited from any account you have linked. Do they tell you that? Does the site make that known in any way? Nope!!

How about awarding a project to a freelancer; pressing that button will result in a shock that comes when you have no idea it's coming. You'd think the system would simply say, project cost determined "X", fee associated "X"!! Oh no, it doesn't.

Not an email, message, advisement or communication prior to the debit. I get fees. I get costs. What I don't get is a company that would take money with no fair warning.

You just get the surprise of a lifetime by the scam of the platform sending you an email saying these funds have been debited. Not a detailed description or warning or clarification what so ever.

And if you get this radical surprise and you are in a panic, feel cheated and want to talk to a customer service person, any person who can possibly explain why this isn't communicated, why it isn't clear so you can feel confident about working with a completely virtual process, you get an equally as frustrating run around.

The button actually says "chat live with a customer service agent", yet it ropes you into a highly complex weave of Q&A having absolutely nothing to do with actually chatting with a LIVE CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT.

A total hoax, scam, seriously never doing business with this company ever again.

70 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

203 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Freelancer staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question