US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

Review Highlights

minth

I found out someone was trying to withdraw the money I earned, good thing they saw it and I was informed. (in 577 reviews)

johnt83

I add two hundred dollars into the account, then my project stalls. (in 538 reviews)

bharats2

which can be 3% to 15% of project cost depends upon your membership . (in 472 reviews)

▼ Sort by: recent

seanna4
7/24/16

Do NOT USE THIS WEBSITE FOR ANYTHING!! You have the chance of not getting paid your well deserved money, and then having the company make charges on your credit card that aren't normal procedure, just to steal your money. They make your life hell. I would give 0/5 stars if I could. This website and it's CEO need to be shut down.

georgeh112
7/23/16

We were a group of 6 persons working in freelancer.com collectively, each with his/her own skill. We had earned some money when freelancer.com alleged that all 6 accounts belong to the same person. They don't even allow us to show verification and ask us to close all the accounts but one. The reason for this is that they will gain over $2000 by closing these accounts and stealing their money. They keep dragging this on an on by asking repetitious questions over and over again, and each time I respond to one question, they come up with an other one and just dragg on the identity verification procedure until we hopefully give up and lose the money.

Tip for consumers: I suggest that they work in Upwork, PPH or Guru. These are a lot more professionally managed employment sites and they observe far better work ethics then Freelancer.com

stevej123
7/21/16

I have bought some services at this website. They have good services. I will buy services again.

dumbos
7/18/16

I cannot believe the months of stress l have experienced in the hand of the freelancer company. Not only do they not have a customer service centre that you can call, but you dont get the same person handling your complaint, they close your open tickets when it suits them, thety freeze accounts and make you jump through hoops to have your accounts verified. All this and im a customer of the service...not a freelancer

nothankyoun
7/16/16

I can explain how to get work done for $0:
Post project, select freelancer, get work done, send payment to freelancer, mark project as complete, receive good rating,
Next - CHARGEBACK your money. Freelancer.com will do chargeback in any case, next reverse transaction and remove money from freelancer's account.

If you are a freelancer and you are still not victim of this business schema - it is your personal luck. New transaction like "Reversal of [Done milestone payment from ABC for project XYZ ... " can appear at any moment.

Freelancer.com know about this business schema (please, note how politely I name "robbery") but doing nothing about it. Because Freelancer.com receive "introduction fee" from freelancer in _any_ case. Say, for $1000 project Freelancer.com receive $100 as introduction fee from freelancer. And doesn't matter Cahrgeback done or not done.

johnnyp14
7/15/16

I would however recommend a site called www.go-workers.co.uk they do your networking for you and manage your work whilst you work with other freelancers. Always pick up the phone and call me back strait away

abhisheks17
7/15/16

one time client was not pay me and mark project incomplete and give me bad feedback without ny reason i complaint this to freelancer coustomer support four times but still no take any action :-( coustomer support is only for name :-/ but it is good place for earning.
Freelacer is too awesome company but i not like only one issue :(
But they cant take any action if any complaint to coustomer support :-(.

Tip for consumers: A tip to all allways take some money from client for starting work

ryanb99
7/15/16

I put in a mile stone payment of $60 dollars and the website error-ed putting in three milestones of the same name and amount. and that was over the amount that was in my account so they just took it out of my account without even asking me.
To make matters worse, my old boss had me use his card to put money into my account to do a task for them and the website kept his card details without me knowing and they took that money out of his account.

I sent them an email immediately and they said for a job that is clearly at an agreed price for $100 now there is 4 milestones of 1x$100 and $60x3 (the extra 60 was at the request of the freelancer for a bonus). So on a job that i already have a dispute on i have to hope i win and the dispute and the freelancer is a nice guys and gives me my money back.

And the best they could do is say well just fight it out with him.

I will be back on here with pictures and more details soon to let everyone know how it pans out.

olyao
7/14/16

I did the translation and the employer profile was deleted without having paid to me so I did the job for free and there is no reaction from the administration ion my complain. I wrote several times and there is no reply. I do not understand why they allow people to close their profiles without paying for the job they ask for, so everyone can receive the services for free, all they need is to create new account! This is horrible!

davidd240
7/12/16

The Freelancers are outstanding, but the company is the worst. They steal your money and don't pay the Freelancers and there is no way to reach them. They go out of there way to keep you from contacting them. Will never use again!!!!

jkm1
7/11/16

This is my second bad experience with freelancer.com. I have a freelancer app where I get some messages from clients i already work for and some new project. This current project was accidentally accepted and charge me since I forgot to unlock my touch screen phone and was just touched by any stuff inside my bag. I notice the project was accepted when I check my account in front of my comp few hours after. When I report this to freelancer, informed them that I haven't even talked to the employer till now and nothing happened and want this reverse since its an accident and not in purpose. NO said the support since there is no refund policy. Yah it was only like $10 USD that was awarded to me but GOsh what if that project cost a lot so your money will be gone just like that and still the employer will not reply to cancel it. Geez, they always give you no solution to every concern if you ask a freelancer support and just gave me the chat ticket ID RMF-225-25164. So brilliant! 2nd rip-off experience. As years go by they slowly are getting worst.

kehindeo
7/11/16

Freelancer has given I and my team no reason to smile. We were offered a job, agreed with the customer via chat on freelancer online chat, and we were offered a $2500 job. At the end of the day, $250 was taken from our account and freelance told us that the client was fake, so we didn't get paid and our money ($250) never got refunded. Since then, we were approached by fake clients and it was really frustrating.

Please stay away....

joej83
7/9/16

I needed some freelancer services. Went back to the site only to find out that my account had been drained by freelancer.com. 10USD a month?!?! These guys are real scambags.

summarized:
Me "You stole my paper!"
FL "We can look into that for you."
Me "So you can string me along and keep my paper anyway?"
FL <crickets>

Tip for consumers: Don't

steadmann
7/7/16

I found a great freelancer with good expertise. But I icurred a whole lot of charges that I wasn't expecting. I was charged for deleting a job I posted up that was attracting the wrong skillsets. ID idnt wawrd this to anyone but I was still charged £5 .42.

They dont use debit cards so had to do my transaction through paypal and still paid a deposit fee. It appears they also take a commission from freelancers! So watch out for the fees. Where I'm from they say "every mickle makes a muckle"!

anilb3
7/2/16

my experience with freelancer has been nightmare . I was awarded project by 4 employers 4 different projects they released the money after work done i put money withdrawal request into my account after 2 days they reversed all money to employer and closed their accounts saying they violated freelancer terms. Now why should i have suffered in this all i worked for them they paid as simple as that.

please stay away from this fraud and scam website if you want to loss your money you can go for it.

olivierw13
7/1/16

When you start in this website deposit projet seller find customer and ask talk skype or another for scam relax without stress, after when ask admin what happen you have answer you are violation rules, ????? i think freelancer need adapt rules for seller no for customer, if i pay for job i pay in website or another way money stay same for me, but i understand freelancer take care commission that i can accept.

Decoderpro Alias C A Razi / Crea8tive all info in articles i make in facebook

annalisam
7/1/16

Awful experience, the idea per se is nice but the payment system is dodgy, to say the least. It is only easy to make payments, but when you need to be paid, or refunded... well that is something absurd. Not to mention how difficult it is to find a way to contact the customer support!
I am currently waiting to be refunded (already 2 days...) and then I will gladly delete my account.

ujuu
7/1/16

i have been scammed 3 times on this site. i know it s stupid to keep going back for more after the first or even second, but i concede that i am an idiot, and i let it go because the first times were minor. all i did was a simple job that i didn't get paid for and another that i did, but the money was removed from my account along with my own money. the third time however was so much worse as i worked everyday from 7am to 12 pm for 9 days writing articles for my employer and got paid nothing for it. in fact, i tried to get any form of help from the support after the person obviously closed the project and his account, and i was told in a combination of the most polite and the rudest ways to basically $#*! off and move on from what came up to $1050. nothing has happened yet and even though i gave them a legal reason, as stated in their own policy, to let me contact the employer myself, i has refused this. i doubt i will ever get my money back, but t least i want everyone to know. GET AWAY FROM FREELANCER! if you are already on, delete your account. if you are thinking of joining, DON'T! please. you will get scammed and get no help from the customer service. i wish there was a 0 star option, because crap is not enough to describe them. don't make my stupid mistake. DO NOT USE FREELANCER

coreyb45
6/27/16

I'm still using freelancer but very very stand-offish. As a somebody with cancer who loves what he has dedicated his life to which is anything programming. I wrote 2 coding tutorials and replied 3 times as the project stated. The employer talked the whole time up till the last reply the project requested. Then he simply disappeared. He has awesome review 5 stars and i filed dispute 3 years ago. never heard anything. i sent invoices and messages. Nothing. I mean it's only $50 but it was my first project ever on freelancer. so i stopped using it for a few years just recently got bored and decided to give it another go. I'm going to wait and see how this progresses. The 2 clients 1 of which i am currently working with seem ok. but the one i have which was a 2 hour job which i completed and delivered the application. tested it and has requested some improvements not in the description of the project. I'll update this review since the employer said about 7am or 8am my time he will get back to me. Still kind of stand offish on top of the fact my first withdraw should have been completed 3 years ago and these reviews kind of made me scared to continue using the site. I wasn't really upset about the $50 but not I am as it seems to be a regular occurrence on this site from these reviews and now i have $155 maybe going to be stuck there for 15 or way more days. Depending on how this goes will make or break me doing business with freelancer anymore. I mean i do freelance work around my area but I wanted to branch out since work is slowing down because not too many ppl in rural pittsburgh need software programming. and i have skills that i do in my freetime just to do. so i figured why not make some extra cash. In short I hope when I return and update this review it is positive and not following suite with the rest of these review.

roxanan3
6/25/16

As a freelancer i suggest not using this website to find work. Their only interest is only to take your money, you don't have any kind of protection against their abusive fees and taxes. The fees are enormous for small projects. For example if you take a 15$ project they will receive 5$ fee from the freelancer that took that project and 3$ from the employer + that tax that they take when you add money to their platform. And they have tons of fake projects that bots post.
As an employer you will find in 90% of the cases indians that are very aggressive and copy paste the same offer for every project. Most of them are paid just to make those offers and don't even know what needs to be done on your project.

Don't EVER USE FREELANCER!

tomr107
6/24/16

Like many of the others, I joined and then had my account access blocked. They directed me to the 'Verification Center' where they proceeded to keep charging my accounts for ABOLUTELY NOTHING!!!Their provided editor cancelled the project. Now they want the money for someone who did absolutely nothing.
I pray people will read the reviews of this scam outfit before they sign up. It's not fair how Freelancer.com takes advantage of people.
We are all in dispute with Paypal and the credit cards. I must say tat Freelancer.com is doing some pretty shady stuff,.

ianb86
6/23/16

I got a bit exasperated after going round and round and round ....

So I raised another ticket in a different category. Suggested someone should try logging in as me to see the problem. Mentioned that as a multi-million dollar ASX listed company it was unlikely that they are a scam site, but something is definitely not working right.

24 hours later everything was cleaned up. They refunded my overpayment and unlocked my account. I paid Alberto. All good.

It took a week and a heap of hair-tearing and time-wasting. Obviously they don't waste shareholder funds on intelligent helpdesk people.

=============================================================

I signed up to get a project done. because of some static at my end, I actually signed up - and authorised $50 milestone twice. So I cancelled one of the projects and reversed the paypal payment. They got all bent out of shape about that and locked my account.

I undid the reversal

The job got done. I am happy. Product has been delivered. So I authorise payment. Find that my account is locked and I need to verify my identity. Then discover that I have to put my phone no in first so it an send me an SMS. It tells me my account is limited and does not send an SMS. I need to go to the verifcation centre ....

I raised a ticket. "Will be dealt with in 24 hours or so." Three days ago after a few more days of "answering questions" (always the same one) in the verification screen.

This is unreal. Alberto is hassling me for payment and I want to pay him. It's a $120 job and fl have $180 of my money ($120+$50+fees). This is unreal ....

I guess the moral is be VERY careful with your paperwork .....

I just don't understand how a site like this - run by a listed Australian company - can get it so wrong.

amyc109
6/21/16

warning: be very careful with this site- they give you a free membership - and then VOILA! from that day on they have been continuously taking random charges off my credit card and PayPal!
TOTALLY DISHONEST an IMMORAL- I regret the day i ever sign up!
**AVOID*****!!!!

seang37
6/19/16

An establishment used as a front for organized crime would be more reputable than this company. When I say that this is the worst company in the history of the free world, it is no joke! The fact that PayPal is complicit in the blatant fraudulent behavior by way of allowing victims to be fleeced of their hard-earned money is absolutely astounding. They should IMMEDIATELY ban this company from receiving payments using their service. In a better world, the employees of this rathole would be rounded up and placed in jail without due process. I am begging anyone thinking about using this service to turn around and run with your hands clutching the valuables in your pocket. The freelancers on the service are not to blame. It is the crooks running the company that should have tomatoes hurled at them in the public square. I repeat, DO NOT EVEN VENTURE ONTO THE COMPANY'S WEBSITE! Avoid it like the house everyone said was haunted in the neighborhood you grew up in!!!!!!!

Tip for consumers: RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grantw21
6/18/16

I registered on Freelancer.com, submitted an idea and just before rewarding anyone with the job, decided that this seems too good to be true so I searched the web and located this site where by the sound of things (when read out load- LOL), people are not happy, from Freelancers to Idea submitter! Leaving me with the old add-age that if it is too good to be true, it most probably is!

Where my concern arises is that after realising that I don't want to be listed on this site, and while attempting to delete my post, I was asked to pay over R35 just to delete it minutes after posting it - what a scam!!!

So do your homework and try not to cut corners; you may just find yourself in the wrong part of town, so to speak!

174 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Freelancer staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question
1 day ago
Add your answer
6 days ago
Answer
akshays8
A: Do not think to work on this website. They are big cheats. This site is designed to pull out money from your pocket. They will ask you for one-month free registration and will require you PayPal account. Thereafter they will charge for every project irrespective of the fact that you have been working on the project or not. It seems that they themselves post such projects to cheat innocent freelancers.
9 hours ago