Review of Freelancer

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

shahrukhk1
4/29/17

First they put my account to verification i am their old user since 2014 i had 5.8 earning rating in my account and 120+ good reviews, they harrased me for 2-3 months they dont reply to my mail fast they then they put my account to limited they were only supporting to the client i was working for in the end they stole my 258$USD that was in my account and closed the account.

Please reopen my account since you have done wrong to me you have stolen my funds and given full amount to the client why this double standard? I am going to complaint it to the court and consumer forum if you not take matter seriously I will go to everywhere including supreme court if i had to I will hire lawyer to file case on you as you did wrong to me and I will write on all social media account of yours so the world knows you guys stole my money and closed the account.

naveedj
4/28/17

Welldone!! Nice Job you have done.You are a hardworker and honest person.Good Worker and best communicator.We will contact you again.

Thanks

jakef48
4/27/17

Let's just get straight to the point. I've setup an account with freelancer.com. As a free member, I only have a VERY limited number of bids for open projects. If you used up all your number of bids, you won't be able to bid another project until the reset of number of bids (which is every month). In order for you to get more bids for a project, you have to pay up.
This is for the $1/month account/member upgrade:

Free Project Extensions
Free Sealed Projects
Free NDA Projects
High Value Project Bidding*

Rip off! What if I don't get any projects? I get to spend my money for nothing?!

Here's another one. I believe that most employers posting their job offer is a scam. Beware of people posting job offers that their method of payment hasn't been verified. That's the thing about freelancer.com. How come employers can post job offers without their mode of payment not being verified?

Here's a personal experience of mine.

2 employers contacted me for a project that they posted. I saw that their mode of payment wasn't verified yet.

Employer #1:
Told me that I only have to do data entry. Just do a copy typing. It means I have to type everything that I see in an image or pdf file. But first I have to deposit money to be able to get the job. The amount that I will deposit depends on the plan that I am going to work on. Ex: Plan 1 = $25, Plan 2 = $32, Plan 3 = $47 and the last is Plan 4 = $62. I told them that I won't be able to deposit the money until tomorrow. The next day I tried contacting them. Upon emailing them, after clicking send, gmail notified me that the account has been disabled or no longer exists. I tried contacting the employer on freelancer.com's chat, but they didn't reply. BE CAREFUL with this type of people. If you guys are wondering if I made the deposit, my answer is no. :D

Employer #2:
The employer posted a job with a good pay (upto $750). I made a bid on that job and got the job. The job was, I was supposed to do an data entry. Type everything from a pdf file and save it on MS Word. But when the employer emailed me, the employer just sent an executable file with instructions that I open the file and just type everything I see and click enter. There was no pdf file. Still I open the executable file. All I got is to type the captcha and click enter. The employer will pay me $20 for every 1,000 entries of captcha. What happened to the original offer? (dunno)

So if you plan to sign up with freelancer.com, again, ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!
If you do, just be careful when accepting job offers.

brucev13
4/26/17

I would give this site NO STARS if that was an option.

I signed up to hire a freelance slogan writer. Their CSR told me I should convert it to a contest. I asked if the work would still be 100% guaranteed, and she said she was sure I'd be satisfied, but if not, I could contact them and get my money refunded.

The slogan contest had over 400 entries, but 99% of the entries were of extremely low quality and many were from people who didn't even speak English (I was having a slogan for an US brand developed).

The customer service support was arrogant and totally unhelpful. This company doesn't understand the concept of listening to their users / consumers. Furthermore, it appears the majority of their customer service support is handled by people who can't speak English since their replies were poorly written, and they had difficulty understanding what my complaints were in the first place.

I've fielded dozens of design contests with 99Designs and DesignCrowd and have always been pleased. Don't be fooled with freelancer.com. They're a disaster! Avoid them. They don't tell the truth, the quality of their service is poor, and their customer support is awful!

karenb287
4/21/17

Please don't bother! I am not even sure the people who post projects are real. I have made several bids for a project of which I am qualified for and have received no work.

Everyone from this Website is either from Africa, India or Pakistan (no offense) but they all seem like scammers.

I have also been approached by 2 scammers (one called chirstie manson and a company name cjinc freelancer) who keep offering me projects off of the website, and I keep telling them that I will not work for them unless we have an agreement over freelancer. Watch out for these scammers!!!!!!!!!

The website is quite clearly a waste of time!

gigic5
4/21/17

Nothing but losses here! Lost $60 in recurring membership fees that I didn't even want, and another $10 in crappy tests that are supposed to boost my chances of landing a job. Not to mention all the TIME I SPENT chasing down CRAP jobs and building a profile!

All I got were scam offers and I couldn't even land the crappiest, most low paying jobs out there. $1.50 for 500 word articles??? Slave wages! Might as well call it SLAVELANCER!!!!

I am sick to my stomach that I got dinged AGAIN another $30 after I thought I CANCELED my membership, but they refuse to refund me only ONE DAY after the charge. I immediately closed my entire account!

emmac91
4/20/17

FREELANCER.COM KEEPS YOUR CREDIT CARD ON FILE & CHARGES YOU EVEN IF YOU DO NOT ORDER! REPEATEDLY.
WHEN CONTACTED THEY ACT BLUR AND THE ONLY SOLUTION IS OT CANCEL YOUR CARD.

minaj1
4/20/17

I will never use Freelancer again in life! Used them to have someone design a website for me that I had invested 4k into and it's now non-functional. The problem is that you find these so called companies over in India that uses different names, different profiles, fake samples of their work. along with fake reviews to lure you in. Everything was going great during the milestone, the person I connected with via Skype seemed to understand every aspect and functionality that I needed to design my web page. My project was broken down into 5 milestones, and somewhere along the 3rd milestone is where everything went south. All of a sudden the person that I had been communicating with for months sounded different, and I kept repeating myself consistently when he had understood exactly what I wanted during the initial phases of the project. My gut was telling me that I was now dealing with a different person because this one had terrible English over the phone, and the tone and grammar in his emails were totally different. Unbeknownst to me, they had sold my project to another company and their job was to pick up where the other goon had left off. It was a complete disaster, but because I had already invested over 3k in the initial milestones I was at the point of no return. I had no choice but to move forward with the project, I saw my hopes and dreams of this fabulous website disappearing before my eyes, they barely understood what I wanted, and the design was poorly done the functionality had all kinds of bugs in it, they would lie and tell me that they fixed it, only to go in and it had not been corrected. They barely had any design or coding skills, and I am quite sure the first dude sold this project to them for pennies. I had to go along with whatever they could do. Here is where the extortion comes in, a few days before the project was wrapping up, they reached out to me and said that if I want them to maintain my website and since they are familiar with the coding and design, it would be better for me to use them for this service. Then they added if I want their developer to continue to do a good job on the final phase, that I need to go out and give them a five-star review. Again, out of fear that they would put a bug in the final phase of the project, I reluctantly gave them a 5 star review, when they deserved zero stars. My website has so many glitches and bugs that it's just a sitting duck. I will never use Freelancer, as this is just a way to hustle Americans out of their hard-earned cash. The worse part is that once you give a review, you cannot go back and modify it once the project has been completed.

lesleel
4/20/17

To begin with I'm an employer on freelancer and they are not letting me release payments unless I provide them with my address and ID. Who do they think they are to invade my privacy in such a way. I will not give them my personal information. I want everyone to stop using this site. I didn't sign up for this crap, I just wanted to get a few projects done. Now they ask for government ID. What a load of crap. I don't want to use this site anymore at all but they are holding my money. Why don't they ask for this information before taking my money? If I had known I had to give them all my personal information I would have never used it in the first place. Extremely dodgy company.

jessicab225
4/19/17

I have been scammed out of over 1,000 USD by writing many articles and not getting paid. The idiots at freelancer who are supposed to be there to help us, are useless.Today 4/19/2019 I got an answer to a job I never bid on, curious, I went ahead and spoke with the person about this job. It turned out that freelancer allowed a job to be posted that would have landed me in jail for a long time if I took it. This person wanted me to print out checks and mail them to people . I have turned this over to the FBI and the local police. I am sure they will be taking a look at freelancer

jeffs227
4/18/17

I signed up for freelancer.com many years ago and didn't really use it. I decided to give it another try. I just spent 2 days scouring through the most ridiculously low bids. Seriously, for example. Post 7 articles on FB, 7 Tweets, 5 Linkedin posts each week, and create the content to be paid 5 hours/month. And, you actually have freelancers from India bidding on this for $20/month. Clients don't respond, but when they do, they just try to pick your brain for information, and so far nothing has resulted in a job.

I don't see any real work coming from here, ever. Freelancer also charges a monthly fee. Oh, and 15% of all your earnings. $5 to take an English test. If you want to delete project or bid, that's another $5. They just nickel and dime the freelancers to death.

I did work on odesk and stopped doing that once it odesk was purchased by freelancer.com. Now they are all the same. Complete bottom of the barrel projects and clients. Stay away, unless you want to waste your time, energy and money.

Tip for consumers: Tips for others who might use this site. 1) don't. 2) if you feel you must, be prepared to spend days review bottom of the barrel and ridiculously low bids and competing with overseas sub-par workers at $2/hour. 3) when an employer responds expect it to be a complete waste of time. They are trying to just get info from you and usually will not give you the job.

linaa9
4/15/17

Some businesses do not deserve to survive. This one I believe was made for fraud reasons so they could just collect subscription money from people. and MAYYYBEEE if youre 1 in a trillion people, you might find a little job. Everyone who contacted me for a "job" was a waste of time i.e. fraudsters, scammers or they just want to chat about gay rights and whatnot.

I didnt even subscribe for their "monthly" plan, however, they started taking payments, and the payment deducted was actually more than the one advertised on the website :) so to sum this bit up, they just decided to enrol me to their second highest paying plan, monthly, and overcharge me, for literally nothing, worse than nothing, for scammers and chatters.

Tbh they should shut it down and free the domain theyre occupying. You cant even contact them lol they say "chat with us" yeah right.

chethanb
4/14/17

Firstly, the live customer support sucks! Secondly, they charge for everything, almost 40% of my earnings were taken by them in some kinda of charges! Thirdly, they only put up some fake projects, and later close it without even giving proper reasons for it! It's just waste of your precious time and energy!

mohamedh22
4/14/17

Tip for consumers: Freelancer.com is Scammer site they take my 204.90 usd for no thing and i have full prove of paypal payment and freelancer screenshot

veronicad23
4/14/17

Double charged my bank for a small proofreading job. Guy soent about 10 minutes fixed three words no rewriting. Had to text chat to ask why 130.00 was charged? Couldn't get into my account.. 2 hours later, round and around nothing.. asked to type supervisor, tech support, talk to live person..nothing WORST SERVICE EVER IN MY 50 YEARS

miguelg30
4/12/17

I hired a freelancer by hours (my mistake), he charged as many hours as he wanted to, work wasn't done. I had to pay, even I contacted freelancer.com to avoid payments, from customer support made sure that no payment would be released. And surprise! Payments were released and I lost money.

Never again.

darkso1
4/12/17

I log to freelance a few years back... The offered me free pro membership a few time and I always accepted it but I never did any project. Last 3 months I was doing contest every day 2 or 3... And they offered free pro membership (1 month ) that I accepted.. But this time they didn't get me back to normal account after 30 days as they always did.. Instead they renew my pro membership without me knowing and now I am minus 29.95 dollars..
I did like 40 contest and 80% are fake

trixr
4/12/17

Worked hard on getting a job on this website and finally landed one with an average pay rate. I agreed because the website "verified" the client which should mean he exists and has funds to pay, right? No! Worked hard for a week, submitted on time, then when it was time to remit payment, the website says they cannot contact the client! Up to me to chase him for payment. What the !@#!

antoniep
4/11/17

Freelancer.com is a terrible company, here is my story: https://www.lost-in-code.com/reviews/beware-of-freelancer-com/

lovel89
4/11/17

If the guy/woman tells your that you will be writing SEO articles, with a 500-word count, 5 times a day, with a time limit of 1 to 2 hours, for $10-$15 this is a f****** scam! This is the most rampant writing scam in Freelancer and all other websites. There are also those who will ask you to write Minibus Hire article websites and run away with your work and you will not get paid a cent for it. Be aware and these scams all over the freelance websites.

tourasiant
4/8/17

you have more chance to find people who know less than you than real professional.
I have use different free lancer but last was a real scam. just hurt website down to 60% and do not stop it even after my request. the worst is that they do not even answer dispute. .
mbickerstaff@freelancer.com
Senior Account Manager keep silence on dispute...keep going to destroy the site until he can pick up money even when you ask them to stop their acticitiy.

Tip for consumers: just stay away....

nguyent14
4/7/17

Freelancer totally scam sites, they take 400 usd from my account for nothing reason,
first i got 800 usd from employees, i widthraw 400 to skrill is ok, but with 400 usd left, i plan widthraw late, and they lock it with 400 usd i had widthraw, my account money is -400 usd, after time, they unlock it, but my account come to 0 usd, they said -400 usd for freelancer service, wtf service ?

johna642
4/7/17

Freelancer is terrible. I don't generally write negative reviews. I'm not a complainer. But I have to write this one about freelancer.com.

I created a post and paid to upgrade for the recruiter program. I got nothing that was advertised. My "recruiter" simply pointed out freelancers that signed up for the job. None of them matched my requirements so I asked them to find freelancers that did. They continued to just point out freelancers that already showed interest in the job posting. Why pay for a recruiter if they they don't recruit anyone new?

I stopped using the service after 1 hour and tried to get a refund. There is no customer service. You need to submit a ticket. There is no phone support. They take weeks to respond to the ticket and ended up just saying I can't get a refund. The funny thing is that it was my "recruiter" who responded to the ticket.

I tried very hard to contact someone else or get some kind of service but could not. They just make you wait it out for weeks and figure you will give up eventually...which I did. I can't waste any more time.

But I hope freelancer fails. And I'm sure they will. They do not offer a good product and there is no customer service.

I've been using Upwork.com for years and it is so much better. Better freelancer talent, easier to use, and great customer service.

There is no reason to even try freelancer.com and they'll disappear in a few years anyway.

John

jordanw40
4/5/17

I had my credit card get double charge for a single project. However, it was not reflected in my freelancer transaction. When contact customer service they denied it and asked me go check with bank. Only when i show them my credit card statement they said will get finance to verify it. So please do not use them if you don want to lose your money. If you already use, just delete your account details who knows they charge you again in future without you aware of it.

jonnal3
4/4/17

I had successfully veridied my identity and obtained my money back, then went to withdraw money I had made and again they wanted me to verify my identity again. I had problems trying to hold my phone, the number on paper they wanted plus my id, all at once. This took 3 weeks for them to accept all of the hours of pics I sent to them. Then right b4 they approved me, they created a fake project for $600 that I was aware and accepted which stole the $55. I had earned. Then they closed out that project due to it being against their terms of posting said project. They STOLE MY MONEY I WORKED FOR ON A VALID PROJECT!

75 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

205 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the Freelancer staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question