Review of Freelancer

Pyrmont, New South Wales 2009, Australia
support@freelancer.com

aliciap41
6/25/17

I signed up for freelancer a month ago and haven't gotten anything out of it. That's not the problem. Two days ago I got charged 30 dollars for some random ass upgrade I wasn't even aware of. They didn't send any type of notice before taking the money out of my account. I've emailed the support team twice and they still haven't replied about my refund.

libbys8
6/24/17

I'm a genuine person who provides a service on the site and HALF the people I have dealt with are thieves and they won't pay. The site is not worth your time and effort. The chances are that you won't get paid and that people will lie and say you didn't complete the project even when you did, and on brief. the site should be shut down. In fact all of these sites should be shut down. I'm closing my account. It's not worth my time when the only people who assign projects are thieving scumbags.

I've completed at least 40 projects and only been paid for 20. Avoid this site.

malgorzatap
6/23/17

25th May they agree that beaucause of system's bug they took from our credit money a quote which they shouldn't. 28 th May they send me and email - they refunded amount X to our credit card BUT - we have to wait 10-15 business days. It is 21Th of June and still nothing. We are waiting for refund, they don't answer for my email. NEVER AGAIN! Be aware!

pinga1
6/22/17

Worst! site. . i hate this site,, You will regret if you signed up.................................................

elliea18
6/18/17

Appalling site , people cannot speak English the talent available is dire. They have taken money from my bank account and not put it in escrow.

ninam45
6/16/17

Stay away! They WILL steal your money. In my case $2100 of it. Their payment system is so confusing, and they don't call it payment but milestones. Also, there is no customer service to resolve issues with, no 1-800 number, nothing. You have to go via email, and it leads nowhere as they will not give you your money back no matter what your argument. And, neither will your credit card company. I'm so upset I used this site it's not even funny. $2100 is a lot of money for no work done! PAY ATTENTION - they are out of Australia so you have zero recourse. Good luck!!!

brandonw50
6/15/17

NEVER EVER EVER use this site. You will regret it. When you accept work, they take a fee from you right away, (usually 10% of what the employer is supposed to pay you). The problem with this is the employers never give you work or respond. I've had over $100 in project fees taken from me. Not to mention the monthly fee of being on the site. Once i contacted customer service they basically told me it was my fault for not knowing any better and that they couldnt do anything for me.

Tip for consumers: A tip for those who use this site? Don't.

joes687
6/14/17

I submitted a request to them. Here is my request in its entirety:

"I write programs using Excel and VBA to harvest data from ODBC/ADO compliant corporate and cloud databases. I have a requirement to harvest data from a cloud database (Bluebeam) that can only be accessed using OAuth 2.0 and RESTful. I have found an application on the Internet that I was able to download and install on my computer that talks with Google Maps using OAuth 2.0 and RESTful, It can be downloaded from https://github.com/VBA-tools/VBA-Web/releases/tag/v4.1.3 . I need someone who can work with my on my computer using Webex to go through the lines of code from the downloaded application and re-direct the calls to go to the Bluebeam database. I need someone fluent in English please."

They immediately closed my account. I suspect the decision to close the account was automated because it came so quickly. I asked them "WHY?" their response was:

"Thank you for contacting Freelancer.com Support.

Your account "ComplyWell" has been closed by Freelancer.com administration due to a violation of our Terms and Conditions. We offer no recourse or rebuttal for this penalty. The funds you have deposited were already reversed to your payment source.

Based on our Terms & Conditions, Freelancer.com may terminate the participation of a user if we think that they are creating problems, legal liabilities (actual or potential), infringing someone else's intellectual property rights, engaging in fraudulent, immoral or illegal activities, or for other similar reasons.

You may refer to the Site's User Agreement Section 23. Right to Refuse Service for more details:

Terms and Conditions

Section 23 states:

"23. Right to Refuse Service
We may close, suspend or limit your access to your Account without reason. Without limiting the foregoing, we may close, suspend or limit your access to your Account:

if we determine that you have breached, or are acting in breach of, this User Agreement;
if you under-bid on any Project in an attempt to renegotiate the actual price privately, to attempt to avoid fees;
if we determine that you have infringed legal rights (resulting in actual or potential claims), including infringing Intellectual Property Rights;
if we determine that you have engaged, or are engaging, in fraudulent, or illegal activities;
you do not respond to account verification requests;
you do not complete account verification when requested within 3 months of the date of request;
you are the subject of a United Nations, Australian, EU, USA or other applicable sanctions regime, or our banking and payment relationships otherwise preclude us from conducting business with you;
to manage any risk of loss to us, a User, or any other person; or
for other reasons.
If we close your Account due to your breach of this User Agreement, you may also become liable for certain fees as described in this User Agreement.

Without limiting our other remedies, to the extent you have breached this User Agreement, you must pay us all fees owed to us and reimburse us for all losses and costs (including any and all of our employee time) and reasonable expenses (including legal fees) related to investigating such breach and collecting such fees.

You acknowledge and agree that: (1) the damages that we will sustain as a result of your breach of this User Agreement will be substantial and will potentially include (without limitation) fines and other related expenses imposed on us by our payment processors and Users and that those damages may be extremely difficult and impracticable to ascertain; (2) if you breach this User Agreement, we may take legal action against you to recover losses.

If we close your Account for a reason other than as a result of your breach of this User Agreement, unless as otherwise specified in this User Agreement, you will be entitled to receive any payment due from us to you.

In the event that we close your Account, you will have no claim whatsoever against us in respect of any such suspension or termination of your Account."

I reviewed section 23 but I have no idea what I did wrong. The reader of this review has all of the facts I have.

christiand42
6/12/17

Just stole £100 of my money. Paypal refused to help me and they deleted my competition and failed to return my money. Quite simply fraudulent!!

liesaj
6/8/17

I'm one of thousands who have suffered appalling treatment on this website. They took money from my account with no warning. When I finally got hold of someone, they said the employer instituted a chargeback. However, they refused to give me contact details, or proof of te chargeback or proof of what they had done to dispute. Only after writing to them twice a day, putting reviews on sites, starting a Facebook page called "Join the Stayaway from Freelancer.com", writing to the CEO, starting a petition on Change.org. did they give me my money back.

There are so many things wrong with this company. I have written to them about the following:

1. If you allege a chargeback, you need to provide proof of it and what you have done to dispute it.
2. You need to make sure that your payment systems make chargebacks an exception. As it is now, the review sites are full of the same complaint. It hurts to lose money you earned.
3. You need to get a phone line and email address. We are your customers and we need good service.
4. Take the unfair clauses out of your fine print, and write them in plain language. We're supposed to be your customers, not your enemies.
5. Your marketing material does not disclose many points that are detrimental to your customers, and that are only contained in the fine print. This is in contravention of Australian and other consumer laws.
6. There are a lot of reviews giving your company 5 stars. It is clear that they are fake. They are all from Australia, all pretty nonsensical, and all posted within the same time frame. The inference drawn must be that you are paying them. If you are, that is unethical.
8. Obliging freelancers to post their flags promotes discrimination against freelancers in developing countries. There's no reason why we should know what country someone comes from.
9. There need to be minimum rates for freelance work. You should not allow rates like $1 for 500 words. It may be the free market, but you should regulate it so that it's not exploitative.
10. It seems that many of the jobs offered are fake. The words are identical in so many, and they clearly aren't real projects. It appears as if your company is posting them to make it appear that there are more jobs being posted. If you are, this would surely be unethical.

There's much more, but that's enough for now.

Tip for consumers: Stay away from this website.

andreav32
6/8/17

No privacy. There is no control for you as an user your own information once you get an account. I had a dispute over a job I did, an actually instead of getting paid for it, now I need to pay freelancer 15 dollars so I can get closed my account! Which is not a lot. but I am broke. Plus because of this dispute I have terrible reviews over the internet not only on freelancer but in search engines all over like google. Not only do I have to pay them back for a job I did, but know I can't get a job thanks to the publicity they had made me over the internet. Thank you Freelancer!!

Tip for consumers: Do not enter!! DO not TRUST this site popularity! Do not try it!

freelancerc
6/6/17

Everything started when I opened a claim against them on Paypal, due to a service not being provided properly and also they weren't responding to my complaints.

After escalating the case to Paypal, they straight away kept in touch. Foolishly, I cancelled the claim and here is where my nightmare started. My account has been limited since then and every time I tried to communicate with them, they just didn't reply.

Due to the account limitation, I had money locked on it, projects already paid which I can't download the files and the worst thing: they are chasing one of the freelancers whom worked for me a while ago and trying to play dirty.

Basically they have limited his account as well and the money he had on that time. And now they say that the only way to recover his money is if they convince me to speak directly to them.

This won't happen at all. Now I am only using paypal resolution center to communicate with them. I can see that they don't give a damn about paypal (they never post messages there), but I am taking this very seriously.

The feeling I have is the same I've seen everywhere else: they just want to make a huge profit and not worry about doing their obligations.

I hope paypal acts in a decent way, being reasonable and not weighting the amount of money they make out of freelancer.com.

malleshj
6/5/17
• Updated review

This got to be the worst site ever. they cheat people of there hard earned money. They never respond back to your tickets after closing your account. they close it without any reason. i never posted or commented or did anything. sold a site and whatever the money inside is now gone. $#*!ty people seriously. somebody should sue them for what they are. i had raised a ticket and they never responsded back. nowi think they have blocked my email. none of my mail goes through.

RESPOND BACK YOU CHEATERS!!!

My ticket id is:JHF-722-64023

“Freelancer resolved the issue”
• Previous review

I was contacted by freelancer after writing a review here. They have resolved the issue now. reopened my account and credited back the amount. I would have appreciated it if they had done it before writing a review here. but anyways thank you very much. my confidence in freelancer website is back now.

malleshj
• Updated review

“Worst website ever. don't lose your hard money here”
• Previous review

RESPOND BACK YOU CHEATERS!!!

My ticket id is:JHF-722-64023

rajeshp12
6/5/17

They charge you charges which are not clear from the beginning,they are make sign up and no inform for charges and you will got debit from your credit card ,
fake and criminal site dont go there and sign up any chance just $#*! for them and educate our peoples to avoid this type of sites

stephenh123
6/4/17

soooo bad, I could smash up their office...

never again will I use this site, I trust HMRC more!!!!

mattt15
6/3/17

The site comes off as very professional and a base for freelancing artists. But it's actually everything you need to stay away from, IF you wanna do freelancing.
The site offers no protection for the customer whatsoever, so you can get scammed by either posting a project or by accepting one. Because they claim to be "just a platform", and that users deal among each other. But they limit communication and offer ZERO security for the users and their interests. They make money regardless of who loses (and the user is the loser. Every time.)

Sounds an awful lot like a scam.

sohailv
6/2/17

Hello Guys ,

Freelancer.com is 1000000% scam platform , they reverse my funds many of times to the fraud employer while employer took work too. The support of freelancer.com is totally pathetic , they never listen your point always put their words in your mouth and give useless suggestions. Freelancer.com almost 3k USD had reversed my funds.
Please stay away its scam platform.

tranjamat
6/1/17

Just scam. They tried to suck 15 USD for no reason. I won a bid at some translation project but no response from either employer or freelancer suport dispite me waiting for a response since 6 months... Nice try there Freelancer but am a Hudhrami lol

freelancerf1
5/31/17

I need to inform society: on the Freelancer.com all bids are visible for everyone. And indexed by Google and other Search Engines. Screenshot attached.

liz1194
5/29/17

Dear, all.
Please check this:

This is my freelancer account.

This site would close its members account with unknown reason, when he submitted user's ID verification document.
Once they closed the account, they never explain about the reason.
Just say, "You violated our TOC".
And at the same time they take the money in his balance.

This is very unreasonable thing.
Whenever I contact the support team agent, they often used to say I violated their TOC, but couldn't tell what it is exactly.

It seems freelancer site is scammer.

The most certain proof is that they never close the account which doesn't have any money in its balance.

Tip for consumers: Don't use this site to be paid.
If your client is honorable, they will be sure to pay you directly without using this site.
If your client is not honorable, freelancer will not able to guarantee his payment.

adriani10
5/29/17

I'm freelancer on this site from 14 years ago. Well 14 years ago and some years after, this site was a gem but year after year things started to go wrong.The main concern of this site is how to squeeze more money from freelancers and employers.... nothing else. Any "improvement" brought to the site year by year was actually a worsening.The interface has become difficult to use for experienced freelancers too, not to mention the new ones. There are no options to talk to the employer as they once were. There is no possibility to send a file to your employer as an example when you bid.After bidding, there is a ranking of freelancers bidding on "abilities" but I can say it's a mess. There are freelancers appearing in that list who probably do not know to hold a correct mouse in their hand.I have hundreds of reviews in which employers describe me "extremely fast with extremely high quality," but in the last year, after the famous changes mentioned above, I have not been able to get a job from 1 year ago even i pay premium member plan and I bid every day.A lott of "fake" posted jobs too.I am very disappointed with this site.

bassama4
5/28/17

They charge you charges which are not clear from the beginning such as exchange rate charges which is very high, they deducted from my withdrawal amount, their scam you when a project is not done by the Freelancer, keep away from them

calvinp18
5/28/17

avoid this site, i posted a job, was immediately inundated with spam. i then deleted the job as a result and they stealth charged me 6 dollars. They need to be put out of business.

chioman1
5/28/17

Horrible site. Criminal. Thieves. Dubious customer service and worst platform you can ever depend on.
I have worked with freelancer.com for 7years. Seven good years of my life went down with this company.

Before then, I signed up with script lance site which later sold to them my info was transferred to freelancer.com by chance( I didn't just find myself there intentionally considering the circumstance)
The first few months, I discovered their non-refundable commission policy which they use to scam both buyers and workers. They can collect lots of money from your account without explanations. after a task is done, they will still collect money and when an employer files a chargeback from the bank, they won't investigate the issue but claims 50% of the charge & give the employer 50% whereby encouraging work without pay while they accomplice the employer to steal from you. Most case, if you get a new employer who didn't know anything about freelancer.com tricks and weakness, you will get paid but once you meet their partners in crime, you're screwed for good. A lot of stuffs are going on there that I wonder why the crime investigation team on the Internet haven't shutdown that site.

The latest scam plot between freelancer and the employers is to claim that milestone is released to you while the employer file for a chargeback from the bank and recieve a total refund and you lose your file to them.

I have struggled with this issue for months now and an employer I worked for 4months ago with good review given to me, didn't file a chargeback but there is an issue of chargeback filed by freelancer on behalf of the employer. How did I find out, I talked with the employer and he told me clearly that he didn't have any issues with me. Infact he still appreciates the task I did for him. I asked him to contact freelancer.com and he did but they asked him to provide vital government based info with other credit card details and he sensed the fradulent plan and refused. The employer replied to me with this comment
"That site is evil"
he encouraged me to use other platform but I wanted to get to the root of the matter by contacting freelancer.com customer service who claimed that the employer refused to further verify his identity. I asked them what that has to do with the chargeback claims (because it's obvious the employer didn't file dispute and the task I did 4months ago. Till now this people haven't replied, they took 350 Australian dollars from my account and refuse to give me back my money.
They money I worked for was collected from me without any explanation or reasons.
I'm tired of this system that I wish to report them to all reputation sites on the internet because that's not the only bad experience I had on freelancer.com

Please don't mind the good reviews you see around. Freelancer.com paid some people to write good reviews to promote their site. While most of the bad reviews you're seeing is real.

75 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer

I'm a victim myself. I already stop using this more than a year ago. I'm surprised that the complains reach thousand plus and still counting... if that doesn't satisfy you I don't know what else will... goodluck

By Robert L. on 7/15/16
Helpful answer

Its a real website, however crumby! - However, The workers or freelancers there are... - A Breeding ground frenzy of scammers! Almost set up to facilitate them or make it super easy to get scammed and ripped off and no way to get money back - resolution department - You would rather just let the money go, because you won't get it back anyway - just more trouble trying to! STAY AWAY FROM FREELANCER.COM I lost $1500 and was able to get back all but $500 but cost me $5000 in time and trouble! Just go to UPwork.com. much better, logs, timesheet, screenshots of work AND i'm making progress leaps and bounds over Freelancer.com.

By ian p. on 12/30/15
Helpful answer

I would advise you against giving your credit card details. Freelancer is prone to setting up automatic recurring charges without giving you a clear heads up and lots of users have complained of getting automatically deducted for awarded projects even if you haven't been paid for the project yet. Their customer service is shady as heck too.

By Meg M. on 2/29/16
Helpful answer

Freelancer is a scamming operation, not a legitimate platform. They steal from the vulnerable . Run away from them.

By Elaine K. on 12/7/15
Helpful answer

Hi Dejan. This happened to me in 2014, I lost a lot of money too, I withdrew the money on a Wednesday after the client had paid me $1000 in full. Then the next day, Thursday, I got a message that my withdrawal request was cancelled and the money reversed back to employer. My account was suspended and when I asked why, I was told that the employer looked like he was fraudulent and that the money might be fraud. Up to date, I am still bitter, angry and sad over that $1000 but I never got it back and Freelancer closed the person's account and that was that. So I hope this answers some of your questions and I am deeply sorry for your loss after such hard work. All the best

By Pre G. on 7/3/15
Helpful answer

Good afternoon Rostyslav, unfortunately this has happened to most users of Freelancer including people who have been awarded projects. Ensure that you do not start any work or event accept a project until the following criteria have been met: 1. Project awarded 2. Initial milestone/deposit created 3. Client agrees to release the first payment immediately after you accepting the project. If they are unable to do this, tell then politely that you are unwilling to start on the project and keep looking for honest, legitimate clients. Be careful at all time on this website, even if you do vey thing by the book and the client still doesn't pay, the Freelancer support team will not help you. It is left to you to contact the client and chase the payment even of they delete their account.

By Adam R. on 6/23/15
Helpful answer

Freelancer is scam. I have very bad experience recently. "The payments you've received from your employer "-----------" were reversed due to their account issues. As a result, their account was closed" Lost over 800$. Freelancer also keep the fee for this job !!! Their support never answer. SCAM

By Antonis S. on 10/2/15
Helpful answer
I had hired a freelancer to Design a logo for my company. I hired him and had to pay him ₹1500($25 approx). I selected the payment method as Paypal which was accepted on their website, a receipt was generated for ₹1500($25 approx) and I paid. After the payment was successful suddenly I realised that ₹100000($1534.80) were debited from my account instead of ₹1500($25 approx). I immediately emailed and chatted with the customer service of Freelancer and they said they will refund, but after 2 days had passed nothing happened. I again contacted them and they said that they have refunded the amount back to my Paypal account and even gave me a receipt for the refund. After another 2 days the balance dint show on my Paypal account, I again contacted Freelancer and they said that the fault is because of the Paypal service. I contacted Paypal and they said that no refund was initiated from Freelancer and if they do have refunded they(Freelancer) have to call Paypal and sort the matter. I told the incident to Freelancer and they then agreed that they had held up my payment and wont give it back until I called Paypal and tell them that I dont want a refund as it destroys the reputation of Freelancer and also makes 'matter complicated'. I called Paypal again letting them know that Freelancer wants to me close the dispute. Paypal strictly advised not to close the dispute as then refunding my money will be next to impossible. I have till now mailed Freelancer over 25 times and every time they blackmail me by saying closed the dispute and then we will see how much and when to refund. I gave them a warning that Ill go to court and still they dint agree, after I was adamant that I will not close the dispute and will move to court, they are now for over 4 days keep replying me the message saying that my case has been transferred to another department and I will hear from them within 48hours. Its been many days now and since the start I have been jumping from talking to their department to department (chat, refund, Verification, billing and more). Freelancer has now even limited my account and are threatening to block it and not refund the money at all. After searching on the net I found thousands of other similar cases where Freelancer debits money or doesnt refund the left balance of a customer back to them. Freelancer even agreed to the mistake of by fault debiting $1500 instead of ₹1500, but isnt refunding. Iam a very small man compared to this billion dollar company and I dont know what to do. These guys dont have any phone number\email of management\Address in my country. Please help me, I can provide with any proof you like. I even have saved all the chats and emails. Thank You Varun Anand

Dispute it with PayPal! Another beautiful example of why everyone hates Freelancer.

By Lydia P. on 4/27/15
Helpful answer

Don't share you card. Use Paypal.. First of all don't use freelancer they are scammers.

By Talha H. on 4/16/15
Helpful answer

Contact Paypal and file a dispute. I got a refund for the monthly amount that they should not have charged me for.

By Shannon M. on 10/22/15
Questions? Get answers from the Freelancer staff and other customers.

127 Photos for Freelancer