US Government’s NSF

Rating Distribution

Detailed Rating Summary

bobb923
2/29/16

Freedom Pop is a absolutely worthless service. One phone will tell me I'm in a roaming area and need to buy a PIN number and it was working a short time back now it will only work with WIFI and if you are not in a WIFI it will not work at all. The second phone when I call a number that is not in freedom pop I am told that it is not an allocated number. Freedom pop is absolutely worthless.

douglasg13
2/20/16

These guys terminated my plan and sent me a new device without my asking, then billed me. After I refused delivery, they continued to tell me they never received their device back and still to the day,have not refunded my money.
Be very wary of their cheat tactics and lies.

sauda5
1/4/16

it provide Free Wireless Internet and 4G Mobile Broadband ISP.

tobiass11
12/26/15

I have been with Freedompop for over 2 years with 4 different phones for my family. I stay with them because the cost works with my budget and after learning how to work with them I can actually maintain a somewhat decent service. But my advice to you is that you need to be better than their customer service in order to make this work for you. Here is what you need to know if you dare to venture in with Freedompop services:

* Money: you need to watch your account page under billing overview and on your credit card. They will charge you for services that sometimes were in the terms but not advertised well and sometimes they make mistakes but if your not quick to catch it they will be reluctant to refund. Always review your credit card charges. Ofter what you are charged will not show up on your account overview and you need to submit a billing question claim or better call them and challenge them aggressively.

* Customer Support: They are in India and with heavy Indian accents. Many times they are very difficult to understand and are very annoying with their polite manners. Often they do not record the information correctly because of the language barrier. They have improved by having their representatives repeat back to you a summary of what you asked. Pay attention closely because often you will catch wrong information.

*Technical Support: The people at Freedompop technical support vary in knowledge and willingness to help. Some are limited to what their computer tells them to do. Some are savvy to use their experiences to actually find a solution. Expect to put on hold often when a greenie finds someone more qualified to fix the problem. They have 3 levels of technical support: expect to get transferred. The service is poor to great. Calls can either be crystal clear or cutting out to dropped. They offer a diagnostic app that basically provides a method to reset the connection. It helps sometimes. But if your app locks up or your account gets suspended for going over data usage then expect do a factory reset. Save pics and music often and keep your phone contacts on your gmail account because you will loose them on the reset. The 4 phones I have will either have 4g or 3g in the same house at the same time. We live in high coveraged area and no reason with weak coverage.

Billing: If you don't use your phone much away from your wifi router and can escape mobile service I suggest you select the annual service of $79 (plus $19.99 activation) for unlimited voice and text and 500mb data per month. The voice is actually capped, not sure how much though and text is capped at 5000. They offer a extra 500mb on the data for the first month but mine continue to be at 1g data per month endlessly. If you buy a freedompop phone they give you the first month service for free than they automatically put you on their monthly service of unlimited everything for $25.99 per month. You can dispute this and get your money back if you switch to the annual plan. On your phone and on your account page you can control extra charges for data by clicking no auto top off and alert me when close to limit. I set my phone to alert me at 350mb when limited at 500mb. The charge is $10 for each 500mb which can get spendy.

Extra Services: Freedompop offers extra services like MMS, Better coverage (if you live in remote areas) voice messaging. They offer better coverage as if it will improve the quality. It does not if you live in the city. The annual plan seems to include the voice messaging but then they say that its separate and you need to pay extra. Check your account page under accounts then services to see if you automatically or mistakenly signed up for any of their services. Each one is a few dollars but it adds up every month.

Lessons Learned: I signed up for basic free services for my daughters phone and Freedompop changed it to 'value added services' at $9.99 per month. Since the phone was never used and only for emergencies I never checked the account. The credit card charges do not associate the phone numbers and with 4 phones it went unnoticed. When I discovered it they blamed me for not checking. Their policies do not allow them to refund more than 5 months. Getting angry does not work. They will elude you. I ended up with 200mb data and $19.98 refunded (2 of the 13 months). Freedompop offers an address in their terms to write to them your dispute before you file suit.

When buying a new phone to replace your old phone can be tricky. Requesting your phone number, email account and annual plan to be transferred to your new phone can take hours on the phone. Some will tell you it can't be done but others say no problem. This is evidence of the varying level of skills and experience of each Freedompop representatives. You will get transferred a lot and hear frustration in the voice of the person trying to help you. But it can be done. Make sure they completely cancel your old phone. They seem to want to keep it working because they can make money off it. They did this to me and I caught it and had charges refunded. Once I paid for my annual plan and they recorded it as a phone purchase and a upgrade in services. I started getting monthly charges after paying for my annual plan. They admitted they messed up but I am still in dispute of getting a refund. After you change phones and update your account pay attention to your account and billing charges.

I hope this information helps in navigating the treacheries of Freedompop. Remember to guard your pocket book and know how to fix technical problems on your own is the bottom line with this company.

alexm128
5/20/15

I am not saying that you should never use this service...what I'm saying is that you pay $20/mo...and you'll get what you are putting into it. If all you can afford is what they can provide for cell service then subscribe but don't expect their customer service to do anything. Expect to spend hours on the phone, only to get somebody who will hang up on you, or just transfer you. I work in a call center for a bank, so I know how the game works.

violetao
5/12/15

My device stopped working.I needed help.I called 888-743-8107 on May 8,2015.Nobody answered the phone just music after half an hour I hang up.Today,May 11,2015 I called 855-703-5785 I had the same problem.Nobody answered the phone just music. Again after half an hour I hang up.I don't know what to do now I don't have internet.

Y

sungc4
4/7/15

they are crook steal my money

500 mb free / that is bull$#*!. I didn.t use data but they took every minute data usage and put 10bucks from my card acct. and keep take data usage I didn't use.
example --------------Apr 7, 2015 8:37 AM Pay As You Go 9 MB
Apr 7, 2015 12:25 AM Pay As You Go 4 MB
Apr 6, 2015 11:55 PM Pay As You Go 4 MB
Apr 6, 2015 11:25 PM Pay As You Go 3 MB
Apr 6, 2015 10:55 PM Pay As You Go 3 MB
these thing I don't know . not only these things.Apr 6, 2015 10:25 PM Pay As You Go 2 MB
Apr 6, 2015 9:55 PM Pay As You Go 4 MB
Apr 6, 2015 8:27 AM Pay As You Go 10 MB
Apr 6, 2015 7:52 AM Pay As You Go 6 MB
Apr 6, 2015 7:15 AM Pay As You Go 1 MB
Apr 6, 2015 3:00 AM Pay As You Go 4 MB
these things I don.t know and I didn.t use it but they took out like this.
from few weeks ago I got feel something wrong and start tried beware using data. some time I don.t use phone for few days but they keep steal my money while phone sleep one side of my bed. today morning they send me message they top up 10 bucks. I call them and I didn..t use data like that and ask explain but one of rep told me international service bla bla ... but what international service ? I don.t got any international service and I didn.t order and that rep cannot answer.
this company is crazy .
I told that people i.m gonna tell evberybody about your company.
Apr 5, 2015 8:52 PM Pay As You Go 1 MB
Apr 3, 2015 4:04 AM Plan Usage 2 MB
Apr 2, 2015 9:40 PM Plan Usage 1 MB

amandap48
4/6/15

Have been calling for over 2weeks trying to get a customer service representative and have been on hold for over an hour , keep charging me for internet that's not working . Very unprofessional way to run your business

vincentm33
3/31/15

I was originally a bit scared with the all the negative reviews but I bit the bullet and ordered this product with the lightening deal sale. So far it has been working quite well in areas where 4G coverage is available. You can also check to see if your area is covered by doing a Google search on "Freedompop coverage map".

As some other reviewers have also shared, we would need to be careful with setting up the billing option in order to avoid charges due to over-usage. This could be done by going to the billing setting and disabling the automatic top-up option. And also make sure that the device has WEP password enabled so that other unauthorized users cannot get to it.

chadh24
3/17/15

So the commercial says a lot of attracting information encouraging you to signup but the customer service says another thing. It apparent the free internet is 119.00 not free.

mamamd
2/22/15

People freedom pop is a scram I been trying to get this service to work on my hotspot for almost an year now which was very disappointing they post to offer free service after buying their product before getting it the coverage within my mom area post to be good but never work even calling in for customer service the long hold was very extended wait over an 1 hour after getting a rep dealing with them is like impossible because they will try to get you purchuring more stuff from them I ask for a replacement but could`nt be done without getting an warranty plan is a joke told them why should I pay when it never work before

harryw22
1/5/15

Freedompop is a complete scam. I had purchased their hotspot device for something like $55 and I was supposed to receive FREE 500mg of data each month. Well, somehow they started charging me $3.99/month and when I denied paying them, they cancelled my account. Trying to get anyone on the phone is IMPOSSIBLE. this is clearly some type of major scam and I am surprised the government hasn't shut them down yet!!

kevins93
12/28/14

bought a phone on groupon for freedompop Dec 2 2014 and still today Dec 28 it doesnt work, the worst reception ever, and let me tell you about their support, or lack of. I have emailed support@freedompop over 10x and NOT 1 has been responded to. and yes I have also waited hours on hold. when I first got the phone it wasnt in their data banks and took 3 hours on the phone to get hooked up , doesnt work at all when I try to use it outside my house. the reception is so bad, I sound like a craklin robot. and NO ONE will help. they just dont give a $#*! about their customers. Im a disabled vet just needing a phone for emergencies and this has been the worst purchase ever. ZERO stars or NEG stars is what they deserve. I have never had such BAD customer support. I would HIGHLY recommend you DONT get involved with this company. the only support I have received is on their Facebook page and that takes days to get back to me. I literally HATE this company DO NOT JOIN FREEDOMPOP or you will hate yourself

sophiam8
11/25/14

Okay but not always reliable. We are discontinuing the service.

lync18
11/1/14

Purchased 7/30 for $29.99 activation fee with NO MONTHLY charge. They shipped item to me on 8/15 - on 8/16 my computer went into shop to be fixed. It was still in shop on 9/2 when company took another 39.99 out of my bank account. I returned FreedomPop on 9/5 per their instructions (with RMA). Note: I never used it. On 11/1/2014 I still have not received my full refund.

paulc114
10/30/14

It has been 12 days since I ordered a phone and it is still being processed. I have found a lot of misleading information if not a lie. 1 The time of shipping is exactly what it says shipping only. There are 3 more steps before shipping can occur. like finding the phone, setting it to work with Freedompop and testing it. 2 The voice mail they put in the charges (2.49) is video voice mail not regular voice mail. 3 the money back policy could not be found on the website. 4 The unlimited service (10.99) is limited to 2500/5000 min/texts. This should have been very open and easy to find before purchasing. 5 The free month does not begin when clicking activate like site says but when the phone actually ships so you just lose shipping time. IF THE SERVICE WORKS THE PRICE WILL MAKE IT WORTH THE INCORRECT INFO OTHER WISE I WILL BE USING THE 30 DAY MONEY BACK OFFER.********6 It doesn't tell you until you nave activated that porting your number may not be possible but as a courtesy they will give it their best effort. So 7 becomes getting a new number that for me was very limited. 8 when signing up the show you all these nice services in a package for 9.99/ mth while the no thank you button/link is almost blended in to the background color. Once signed up you can cancel but do not expect a refund. BUYER EWAR FREE JUST ISNT FREE IF YOU DONN'T FIND THE SMALL PRINT, BUT EVEN IF YOU DO NOT FIND ALL OF THE SMALL TACK ON ITEMS THE FIRST MONTH YOU WILL STILL SAVE MONEY WITH THE 19.99 PLAN VS WHAT YOU WERE SPENDING ON YOUR CURRENT CARRIER. I will reserve final rating once I have received the phone and have used it awhile. Then I will edit the post and tell you what the service is really like

Tip for consumers: Buyer beware. It it looks too good it probly is. f/or me it was worth the phone and services to try and know ai can get my money back by pqying return shipping.30-40$ is worth the ga ble to me

taniyah
10/26/14

I have called the company several times at different times of the day and have had to wait at least 45minutes to a 1hour on hold. I also had to wait 24-48hours to speak to someone for escalating my call for help. Which mint I had to call back & wait on hold again.
The service in the Seattle area barely works on a good day even though the "map" shows that it is. I purchased the Groupon offered by Freedompop to purchase a phone for their service. We tried it for 3 days the service doesn't work in our area. I requested my refund. Groupon said it comes from Freedompop. Freedompop refuses to give a refund & will just exchange the phone. That would be great if it worked in this area. The phone though a Sprint phone can be used by other carrier, but Freedompop will not Fully Release it allowing it to be reprogrammed/activated by another carrier.

lisad59
10/7/14

The network is good but many time we disappointed due to the weather. But overall you are providing good services.

dorisx
9/29/14

I got suck in on freedompop they charge me 118.00 dollors, they stole my money no services ,and have no one to get it back into my account? Watch out for scammers they are out there? Just got stck with the box. Doris

Tip for consumers: Watch out scammers?

ernestineb
9/11/14

The website FreedomPop is really useful for me in all aspects. It is well known to everyone that internet are one of the most important thing in day to day life, and so that from the website, they are generally providing all types of information in a greater aspect. So in general all these information is really useful.

jayd129
9/7/14

Freedompop sold me wireless service in Las Vegas that doesn't exist. I wasted money on the device. Don't join them. They hire orientals that don't understand English

sheenam6
8/31/14

Love it, really good!

saranshk
8/31/14

Great service...

oscarj
8/27/14

The concept is great, just like back in the day when companies were giving out free dial up internet accounts just to introduce the service to you. But there is always a catch with free and here it is that they are trying to up sell on a wide variety of additional services. $10 automatic top-up after you sign up....meaning they will bill you monthly to get additional services. Still, it isn't that bad of a deal and there is no contract which is very nice.

raymonds22
8/24/14

This company is the WORST!

Tip for consumers: Recommend this to those you hate

12 ratings were submitted through the SiteJabber Browser Extension

4 Questions & Answers

Below are questions from consumers with answers from the FreedomPop staff and other consumers. Do not write reviews in this section - click here to write a review
Ask a question