Review of FreedomPop

Los Angeles, CA 90064-1652, USA
support@freedompop.com

etcs
7/17/17

Will never have anything to do with FreedomPop again. This company is the most incompetient amount of idiots that you could ever deal with. First they are not US based, you talk to someone that has 1/2 broken english. Their whole scam is to try to sell you a device that is used and then when you get it the device isnt even activated. If you have a suite number or an Apt number, don't bother ordering it. These morons will purposely not put the suite or apt number on the package causing the item to be sent back to the stupidity this company does. Then when you call them they give you the run around. The second they find out that your a customer, they blow you off immediately. To talk to their 1/2 moronic support they want to charge you another $8 just to talk to someone that will blow you off again. Do yourself a favor stay clear from these cons!

laurieb59
7/8/17

I paid for FreedomPOP service. Even though they originally said it was free, it was not. My phone worked for two months, then stopped. I keep getting a message that I need to upgrade. Do not give anyone the FreedomPop number because you cannot get any help once it stops working unless you pay much more.

bubbah2
7/5/17

Stay away. Ordered SIM Card for phone. Unable to get phone to recognize. Called CS; no phone based TS available unless pay monthly fee. TS via email that is less than subpar. Slow to respond; days. Question whether the TS reads the email sent to them of actions performed due to asking questions to try procedures that have already been tried. Working on six days w/o resolution. DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY WITH THEM.

janeta49
6/19/17

Be very careful if you plan to start a Freedompop account. This plan is for extremely light cell users. Before you know it, they are charging you $20 dollars for only 1GB of data. They nickel and dime you on everything, so cell plan isn't free at all. You pay for voice mail also.

If you look at the monthly charges that they tack on without your permission, you are paying double what you would pay on any other low cost cell plan for subpar coverage and zip/nada customer service. And they lock the phone for 6 months.

Really think this through because it is not a free cell unless you leave it in your car and use it to dial 911 or call for a tow only. Anything else uses up the 500mb of data really fast and then the phone is shut down unless you agree to pay $25 per month for 2GB of data and voice mail (voice mail uses data).

Check out Cricket, Boost Mobile, Metro PCS, etc. You get a lot more for your money else where and the phone will work. I can't tell you how many times this phone goes dead, or won't work.

jamief42
6/12/17

You're better off getting most expensive plan with Verizon!! There isn't one positive thing to say, from the cheap, crappy phone to the non-existence of customer service. A rating of zero is too high - RUN!

estiea
6/10/17

I ordered the $1.06 SIM card. They charged me two $89 charges on something I NEVER ordered! It caused my bank account to be overdrawn -$206 and my bank charged two $30 insufficient funds fee!
DON'T ORDER FROM THEM...unless you have money to burn!

donnab198
6/8/17

Poor phone service (at one point I wasnt able to make calls) but great texts as long as you don't send photos. My friends are telling me that sending them pictures through their port has ruined their phones. They also take advantage of your account and don't inform you of changes or charges. I went from 500mb to 300mb to 200mb without warning. I'm not sure how long they will be able to carry on this way, but it doesn't seem like long. I guess for free they think people will put up with it.

sofiav5
6/3/17

Recently they charged my cc for 0.01 the amount when I see it i called and complain they told me that in customer service ido not have any service with them but they charge the credid car to see if it was still active??? How a company can charge 0.01 to customers who does not have service?? Do they do the same to all of them??? Why?? Is it so bad that no body wants the service??? Do they do the same to all people and may be not every one check their statement ??. I don not know how many customers or the information of how many people do they have but to do that is abusive specially if the company knows that person is not a customer . If they charge 0.01 (unauthorized charges) to 10000 people who they have their information they can make one hundred xtra with out authorization. 0.01 is nothing but a serious company shouldn't charge u nothing knowing they do not give u the service. To. See if my car was still active??? Are they playing with customers information??

miker264
6/2/17

Bad order process , bad customer service , bad phone service , canned emails , billing is out of this world ! I now have two cell phone service's that actually work . Freedompop should be called MissionCreep !

vinces26
3/24/17

AVOID this company , you cannot get support, they will steal your mone, charge as much as they can from your account before you cancel service.

I have reported them to the BBB

royp37
3/18/17

I am now trying to port my number out of FreedomPop.com back to my old carrier. I tried to save a buck and I got burned by this outfit. They talk a good game but do not deliver in the end. And lots of hidden charges which can be incurred.

troys54
3/13/17

There is not one single good thing that I can about this company or its people. Disturbingly poor from start to finish and from top to bottom. Avoid. Abort. Abandon.

jamesh403
2/15/17

I bought a FP phone for a homeless friend. Since he has extremely limited funds I turned off the automatic refill off. To do that I had to "deposit" with them $5. After the first month my friend turned off the $6 enhanced voice option. From that time on he was unable to make calls. He still should have had his 500 free texts. Texting died out in short order and he received a notice he had to buy more data before he could use the phone. I called FP up to find out what happened to the free 200 minutes and 500 texts. They told me their voice and text ran on the internet and when your free 500 MB of data was used up you had to buy more to use your "free phone and texts. By this time they had already confiscated the $5 I had to deposit with them. When I called to complain I was not allowed to speak with any supervisory personnel. They refunded the $5 they stole but refuse to reimburse me for the phone until they got it back. They promised to send a call tag for shipping but 3 weeks later it's not here. If someone reads this and still buys from these scammers beware! Their whole system in still in beta. That means a bug factory. I'm filing a complaint with BBB as well as the Washington Att. Gen. This outfit is nothing more than a pack of thieves. If they were close enough I'd find one of them and shake them upside down until my money came out of their thieving pockets.

marief44
2/11/17

January 24, 2017 I canceled the service freedompop because the sim card never worked despite this you debited my account capital one without my agreement so I ask you to recredit the sum of $ 27.98.
I am very angry that is not serious you are thieves and I will put a very bad review against you on internet Thieves Thieves ...

julesc20
12/28/16

This company has been taking of $7.99 from my account fraudulently after i signed up to their free monthly service. Don't become a victim. I had the 39 days trial then downgraded to the free service. They deducted $7.99 X 2 from my account within one month. Reaching them has been impossible. However, they are available to new customers. Avoid this scam if you can!

hdh3
12/13/16

Our daughter gave us her old i-Phone 5s that was coded for Sprint. We wanted to port over our T-Mobile number to use on the Freedom Pop service. After four days of phone calls and e-mails it seemed no one we talked to or who wrote to us had a clue about how to do this. We were charged a total of $109.97, $9.99 of which was promptly refunded.We were sent a package of unknown contents (opened it to see but there were 2 boxes of indeterminate contents which we left unopened and the outer shipping box re-sealed). Disappointed, dismayed and disgusted, we cancelled everything and got an e-mail acknowledging the cancellation. I am now writing a postal letter to the company requesting a full refund for services not rendered.

jasonb248
12/6/16

This horrid company sold me a "refurbished" iphone with a 30 day money back guarantee, and battery was 79% depleted. Within 2 days I complained and requested a refund. They assured me that a good-working replacement iphone with a good battery would be shipped. The replacement was worse than the original. After many, many emails I finally received an email acknowledgement that I was entitled to a refund, and that a prepaid return would be issued. After returning the phone I was informed that the length of time had elapsed and they would not issue a refund. So, they have the phone, and I have nothing. To add insult to injury, they proceeded to charge my credit card for a year's service, months after I made the return. Not only do I not have a phone but there is no phone number associated with my account. I have hundreds of emails from FreedomPoop, many of which contradict previous ones. This company is clueless where it pertains to cell phones or the public.

Deceptive business practices. Fraudulent charges, false claims, inferior service, complete lack of support. This is an abomination of a cell phone provider. It is a cell phone provider from hell. It's fine to vent here, but the Attorney General of California needs to be contacted with your pertinent information.

Kamala D, Harris, Attorney General
Public Inquiry Unit
P.O. Box 944255
Sacramento, Ca. 94244-2550
(916) 322-3360
(800) 952-5225

rochelles12
11/7/16

After service was established on November 2, 2016 under the 100% free service they assured me I was participating in was actually a 72 hour frenzy on my credit card that totaled 88$ and unable to get my refund for something never received or authorized, be aware;of thier piggyback billing system they have implemented; it eats the funds to the bare bone unknown pending charges that haunt you.

bobb923
2/29/16

Freedom Pop is a absolutely worthless service. One phone will tell me I'm in a roaming area and need to buy a PIN number and it was working a short time back now it will only work with WIFI and if you are not in a WIFI it will not work at all. The second phone when I call a number that is not in freedom pop I am told that it is not an allocated number. Freedom pop is absolutely worthless.

douglasg13
2/20/16

These guys terminated my plan and sent me a new device without my asking, then billed me. After I refused delivery, they continued to tell me they never received their device back and still to the day,have not refunded my money.
Be very wary of their cheat tactics and lies.

sauda5
1/4/16

it provide Free Wireless Internet and 4G Mobile Broadband ISP.

tobiass11
12/26/15

I have been with Freedompop for over 2 years with 4 different phones for my family. I stay with them because the cost works with my budget and after learning how to work with them I can actually maintain a somewhat decent service. But my advice to you is that you need to be better than their customer service in order to make this work for you. Here is what you need to know if you dare to venture in with Freedompop services:

* Money: you need to watch your account page under billing overview and on your credit card. They will charge you for services that sometimes were in the terms but not advertised well and sometimes they make mistakes but if your not quick to catch it they will be reluctant to refund. Always review your credit card charges. Ofter what you are charged will not show up on your account overview and you need to submit a billing question claim or better call them and challenge them aggressively.

* Customer Support: They are in India and with heavy Indian accents. Many times they are very difficult to understand and are very annoying with their polite manners. Often they do not record the information correctly because of the language barrier. They have improved by having their representatives repeat back to you a summary of what you asked. Pay attention closely because often you will catch wrong information.

*Technical Support: The people at Freedompop technical support vary in knowledge and willingness to help. Some are limited to what their computer tells them to do. Some are savvy to use their experiences to actually find a solution. Expect to put on hold often when a greenie finds someone more qualified to fix the problem. They have 3 levels of technical support: expect to get transferred. The service is poor to great. Calls can either be crystal clear or cutting out to dropped. They offer a diagnostic app that basically provides a method to reset the connection. It helps sometimes. But if your app locks up or your account gets suspended for going over data usage then expect do a factory reset. Save pics and music often and keep your phone contacts on your gmail account because you will loose them on the reset. The 4 phones I have will either have 4g or 3g in the same house at the same time. We live in high coveraged area and no reason with weak coverage.

Billing: If you don't use your phone much away from your wifi router and can escape mobile service I suggest you select the annual service of $79 (plus $19.99 activation) for unlimited voice and text and 500mb data per month. The voice is actually capped, not sure how much though and text is capped at 5000. They offer a extra 500mb on the data for the first month but mine continue to be at 1g data per month endlessly. If you buy a freedompop phone they give you the first month service for free than they automatically put you on their monthly service of unlimited everything for $25.99 per month. You can dispute this and get your money back if you switch to the annual plan. On your phone and on your account page you can control extra charges for data by clicking no auto top off and alert me when close to limit. I set my phone to alert me at 350mb when limited at 500mb. The charge is $10 for each 500mb which can get spendy.

Extra Services: Freedompop offers extra services like MMS, Better coverage (if you live in remote areas) voice messaging. They offer better coverage as if it will improve the quality. It does not if you live in the city. The annual plan seems to include the voice messaging but then they say that its separate and you need to pay extra. Check your account page under accounts then services to see if you automatically or mistakenly signed up for any of their services. Each one is a few dollars but it adds up every month.

Lessons Learned: I signed up for basic free services for my daughters phone and Freedompop changed it to 'value added services' at $9.99 per month. Since the phone was never used and only for emergencies I never checked the account. The credit card charges do not associate the phone numbers and with 4 phones it went unnoticed. When I discovered it they blamed me for not checking. Their policies do not allow them to refund more than 5 months. Getting angry does not work. They will elude you. I ended up with 200mb data and $19.98 refunded (2 of the 13 months). Freedompop offers an address in their terms to write to them your dispute before you file suit.

When buying a new phone to replace your old phone can be tricky. Requesting your phone number, email account and annual plan to be transferred to your new phone can take hours on the phone. Some will tell you it can't be done but others say no problem. This is evidence of the varying level of skills and experience of each Freedompop representatives. You will get transferred a lot and hear frustration in the voice of the person trying to help you. But it can be done. Make sure they completely cancel your old phone. They seem to want to keep it working because they can make money off it. They did this to me and I caught it and had charges refunded. Once I paid for my annual plan and they recorded it as a phone purchase and a upgrade in services. I started getting monthly charges after paying for my annual plan. They admitted they messed up but I am still in dispute of getting a refund. After you change phones and update your account pay attention to your account and billing charges.

I hope this information helps in navigating the treacheries of Freedompop. Remember to guard your pocket book and know how to fix technical problems on your own is the bottom line with this company.

alexm128
5/20/15

I am not saying that you should never use this service...what I'm saying is that you pay $20/mo...and you'll get what you are putting into it. If all you can afford is what they can provide for cell service then subscribe but don't expect their customer service to do anything. Expect to spend hours on the phone, only to get somebody who will hang up on you, or just transfer you. I work in a call center for a bank, so I know how the game works.

violetao
5/12/15

My device stopped working.I needed help.I called 888-743-8107 on May 8,2015.Nobody answered the phone just music after half an hour I hang up.Today,May 11,2015 I called 855-703-5785 I had the same problem.Nobody answered the phone just music. Again after half an hour I hang up.I don't know what to do now I don't have internet.

Y

sungc4
4/7/15

they are crook steal my money

500 mb free / that is bull$#*!. I didn.t use data but they took every minute data usage and put 10bucks from my card acct. and keep take data usage I didn't use.
example --------------Apr 7, 2015 8:37 AM Pay As You Go 9 MB
Apr 7, 2015 12:25 AM Pay As You Go 4 MB
Apr 6, 2015 11:55 PM Pay As You Go 4 MB
Apr 6, 2015 11:25 PM Pay As You Go 3 MB
Apr 6, 2015 10:55 PM Pay As You Go 3 MB
these thing I don't know . not only these things.Apr 6, 2015 10:25 PM Pay As You Go 2 MB
Apr 6, 2015 9:55 PM Pay As You Go 4 MB
Apr 6, 2015 8:27 AM Pay As You Go 10 MB
Apr 6, 2015 7:52 AM Pay As You Go 6 MB
Apr 6, 2015 7:15 AM Pay As You Go 1 MB
Apr 6, 2015 3:00 AM Pay As You Go 4 MB
these things I don.t know and I didn.t use it but they took out like this.
from few weeks ago I got feel something wrong and start tried beware using data. some time I don.t use phone for few days but they keep steal my money while phone sleep one side of my bed. today morning they send me message they top up 10 bucks. I call them and I didn..t use data like that and ask explain but one of rep told me international service bla bla ... but what international service ? I don.t got any international service and I didn.t order and that rep cannot answer.
this company is crazy .
I told that people i.m gonna tell evberybody about your company.
Apr 5, 2015 8:52 PM Pay As You Go 1 MB
Apr 3, 2015 4:04 AM Plan Usage 2 MB
Apr 2, 2015 9:40 PM Plan Usage 1 MB

12 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer

I know of three telephone #s for "Freedompop": 800-228-9207 888-743-8107 855-703-5785 If you can't reach a representative at any of these #s (I very recently had success with 888-743-8107 and they helped me with my billing issue), GO TO FREEDOMPOP.COM AND LOG INTO YOUR ACCOUNT (hope you remember your password!). THEN, CLICK ON (or, just hover over) "MY ACCOUNT" ATOP PAGE From its drop-down list, THEN CHOOSE "ACCOUNT SETTINGS" At the bottom of that page, you should see "DEACTIVATE ACCOUNT." (Click on it and follow subsequent instructions)

By Barry S. on 3/7/16
Helpful answer

trustworthy????? Cust service is bad, make that terrible almost nonexistent. The service is carried by sprint but was very hit or miss when not connected via wireless to a network. If you will always be in a city or connected to a network via wireless internet, this will probably work for you but do not count on it on a rural road. We cancelled service before the money back guarantee ran out. We now go with a company called page plus which uses Verizon. It is a little more expensive, but very reliable where we are at and the phone was less expensive for the exact same model Galaxy IV. Freedom Pop cellular did not work for me.

By paul c. on 5/18/15
Helpful answer

I would double check all the info that you are inputting. They may be asking for it in a very specific order that is different from usual. I had no problems getting/ordering the phone. It was the inconsistent service that I had a problem with.

By paul c. on 6/21/15

Helpful answer

Questions? Get answers from the FreedomPop staff and other customers.

FreedomPop?