Review of FreedomPop

Los Angeles, CA 90064-1652, USA
support@freedompop.com

thaik
11/22/17

This company is very sneaky with additional charges.
I just activated a phone with FreedomPop. I only selected the basic service for $19.99 but was charged $22.48. They charged an extra $2.49 for Visual Voicemail which I did not sign up for. I canceled the voicemail right away but the charge is not refunded.

martyd11
11/22/17

Freedompop is the way forward in Telecommunications. It's great is you are a heavy or light user. You can get what you want at an affordable price or free. Sign up and you won't be disappointed. The support is amazing. Whether it be on social media or by phone. These people are seriously excellent. Need I say more? Nope. They are THE best.

markr293
11/18/17

I spend a few days a week getting therapy and medical care from a facility that doesn't offer wifi. I spend the off-time on my laptop but wanted internet access. I bought a Franklin Wireless wifi hotspot device from FreedomPop and I love it - everything from email and Facebook to streaming video. I couldn't be happier and I would recommend FreedomPop to everyone with similar needs or anyone needing portable wifi!

haleys14
11/16/17

I had FreedomPop as my service provider for about two years, and while the service coverage was fine and usually worked well, the customer service was not nearly as good. There were times I had to wait for several days before even receiving a response from their customer service team, and when I did, it was only minimally helpful. Their service is quite cheap compared to other providers, but with the lackluster customer service, I don't think it's worth it.

joef114
11/15/17

YOU HAVE TO PAY TO TALK TO A MANAGER. OR GET TECH HELP. See below.

Worst cellular company I've ever dealt with and I've used them all. Service would not function. I called in for help and was redirected to a "pay for support" automated system in order to talk to a live person. Considering that I havent even yet used the service, I refuse to pay to do so. I used their online ticket method. I called in 5 times in a row explaining to each that I would not pay for help for a product that hasn't functioned since day 1. Each time they directed my call to the automated system asking for money.

I used their online ticket service. The person Dalgin C. told me information already available to me. It solved nothing. I explained my situation. He told me to pay for live support if I wanted it. I told them all I wanted was to see if their service even worked. I've been on hold for 20+ minutes waiting for a manager only to be prompted to pay in order to talk to someone.

I told them that if this isnt resolved, then I'm going to cancel but admitted that if customer support provided me a solution to the issue that i wouldnt. They ceased to respond to me.

This company is simply picking up scraps from the larger carriers that they lease from. They don't care if you stay or go.

I'm a big believer in quality products/services, or at the very least good customer service. This company has neither. Go elsewhere.

Here is a list of other companies that might not be as terrible. Whatever you do, don't start with freedompop.

MintSIM
Boost Mobile
Cricket Wireless

jasperc19
11/9/17

Free cell phone service? Yes, FreedomPop works! If you just need the basics, FreedomPop's free service will work for you. Use your phone as a tablet for free online anytime, and keep an eye on your phone and data usage so you don't go over your free minutes. If that's not good enuff for you, you can spend a few buck on more minutes and services. Overall, a great company...I now have 3 devices on their network!

davidk356
11/8/17

Great service and great customer service!!! I was iff when they said Free..but it really is free if thats the plan you choose.I have it on 2 phones and both work great!

justins150
11/7/17

Freedompop is #1 best free cell phone service at this moment, Ive been a FreedomPop member since May 2017 and till now I still love it, I even put my brother to the service and now hes enjoying also

jeffj80
11/6/17

FreedomPop has all manner of gotchas to get you to inadvertently sign up for monthly charge services, and should you try to inquire about a problem they state you should get a response within 4-5 business days. When they do respond via email you have 48 hours to answer them or they close the ticket assuming it has been resolved. The help I have received has been sub-par.

A dispute of a billing charge will lead to your account being terminated.

Call quality is mediocre and sometimes text messages mysteriously show up long after they were sent, and sometimes not at all.

It is a free service once the phone is paid for, so it has that going for it, but between the spotty call quality and horrible customer service, you may be left wondering if the headaches are worth enduring for the free phone.

stephaniee45
11/5/17

So now my account is cancelled, even though my Novatel MiFi indicates devices are connected, two phones indicate they are connected to FeedomPop, but there is no internet connection since 11.01.17, my account has a $10.00 credit and has recently 11 been billed a $4.99 monthly charge, which I still don't know what that charge is for, FreedomPop customer service says my account is terminated because I complained about unapproved monthly charges for what was supposed to be free internet. My card was charged, for three months, $34.99 for a service plan and $4.99 for monthly service. From day one I indicated, in writing, all I wanted was the free monthly internet, with the option to top up, no phone service, no other internet plan. I discovered the sneaky charges when I OKed a $15 top up charge and was alerted about the suspicious charge by the credit card company. So I checked the billing and account and saw the extra $40 a month charges. I demanded FreedomPop refund the charges. They "as a courtesy" refunded one month's charges, and the $15 top up charge, which I actually had OKed, but I demanded all 3 month's charges be refunded. Which they were. Then I saw they had charged another $4.99 monthly charge, for the free internet, so I added $10 to the account to cover any top ups. But I did not say yes to automatic top up charges. And I did supply a credit card to the account. So now I have no internet from FreedomPop, and no response for several days to emails sent to their customer service. Truly, it looks like this offer was set up to get access to credit cards for suspicious charges. I am appalled.

cassondrap1
11/3/17

FreedomPop does exactly what it says it will. You get free voice/data service every month. If you have problems they have excellent and responsive customer service agents who will work with you until the problem is solved. Just read the fine print and keep an eye on your usage and it is truly free!

trentt1
11/3/17

Other that a few dropped calls I have had no problems with this product and the price is amazing! I have had it in my iPhone 6 for a couple months now and I am planing on getting 3 more for my wife and kids!

difuw
11/3/17

Freedompop is truly a revolution in phone service. No longer does one have to sign up for a 2 year contract and stuck paying $40+ every month. Instead, you get absolutely free cell phone service. I signed up with freedompop after spending $30 for a Kyocera Hydro Icon phone two years ago and have enjoyed free service ever since. Get the Talkatone app with it and you get unlimited talk/text. Sign up for freedompop friends (google it) and you get 1GB cellular data every month. Wifi data is always unlimited. All this is for free. Needless to say, I am a very happy customer.

patricks162
11/2/17

I use my cell very little and this service is perfect for me! I get great AT&T LTE service here in the midwest. The app is good with no ad pop ups. Great free service!

janr69
10/30/17

Freedompop markets it's service as free but beware. Everything is an add on that costs money, even voicemail. That in itself isn't so bad, EXCEP that the website is not user friendly and there is no comprehensive account page which shows all the services that you're being charged for. Services will be charged to your account without you realizing that they have been added.

I was signed up for the free plan, but still kept getting charged close to 20.00 dollars each month and I couldn't figure out why. When I looked at my account page, it indicated that I was on the free plan and owed 0.00 dollars. BUT there is a separate services tab that you must go to if you want to see what add-on services are being charged on your account, and another separate international tab that lists any international plans which can appear on your bill.

I had not signed up for any add-on services or international plans, however, I had looked at the options on the website. Apparently, if you click on a service to get more information, there is no option to leave the page without signing up. It's deceptive and sneaky how they add services you don't want or need onto your account.

After you're hit with all kinds of charges you didn't expect, it's almost impossible to get in touch with a person to handle a billing dispute. I tried three times to talk to a billing person but as soon as I hit the prompt to ask a billing question the phone disconnected.

I would never recommend Freedompop to anyone. They are deceptive, add on costly services without your knowledge and there is no customer service. Freedompop is a fraud.

feliciaw28
10/27/17

I can't beleive it! I own my phone and paid 99 cents for a freedompop SIM card. Then I got a free trial of the 6 month plan with unlimited talk, text and 2gb of data with premier phone service. The full price of that plan is 98.88. That breaks down to 12.99 & 3.49 a month. This is a savings of over $80 A month on the same kind of plan with Verizon!

The company loses only 1 star because after my free trial was up, I downgraded to the fully free account and deactivated auto refill. This only cost $5 which is a credit in my account for accidental overages. This is not the issue. The star is removed for ads in my messenger and no more access to voicemail. If those were changed it would be perfect. But for FREE, I can live with that!

stever154
10/19/17

I bought a wi-fi hotspot from this company at a very low price that included 1 month of service. It didnt work so I called to cancel it. They convinced me instead to downgrade to their free service. I thought that was the end of it. 4 months later I find out they have still been charging the $19.99 on my card every month. I called to remedy the situation and get a message that their new policy requires me to have an upgraded service to talk to them by phone or email. Oh, and their chat isn't working right now. I called their sales line to look for help and they hung up on me....twice. I had to get a new card and file a complaint with the state AG office to get their attention. Freedom from Accountability Pop.

dougp49
10/16/17

Stay away from this company they will not help you and be very careful and watch your cc account as they will over charge you for services not ordered and you'll have a very hard time trying to cancel because they make it almost impossible to do so. Best advise go anywhere but freedompop and run away as fast as you can. It's a CON

beaud11
10/11/17

Order never shipped. Customer service doesn't work. They require a phone number to speak to a live, which they don't give you until your order ships. This means no customer service until shipping, so if you have shipping problems, no help.

joanneo18
10/4/17

They charged me three times for a mobile hotspot device.
I purchased a Freedom Pop mobile hotspot device as they had advertised at $19.99 which included a free trial. Upon checking my bank account after the purchase I found three $19.99 charges on my account from Freedompop. I tried to call them but you get recordings and no one ever answers, You are unable to contact them by phone. So, I emailed them, initiated a support ticket and also messaged them on their Facebook account. Days passed and never heard anything despite my contacting them again. As a result I called my bank and disputed two of the charges and my bank filed a chargeback claim. Still no word from Freedompop. Then I decided to cancel my order altogether and asked that they cancel it and refund my money. They finally just got back to me today and told me they would not refund the charges as disputing the charge with my bank was in violation of the terms and conditions of Freedompop. So, I am out three $19.99 charges totaling $59.97. I guess this is how that company makes money, by outright stealing money from customers. Before I ordered through them I did do my homework and researched reviews which were both good and bad but I thought I would give them the benefit of the doubt and try their service. What a mistake. I gave them one star because you can't leave 0 stars on a review.

jd270
10/3/17

First, the hotspot I purchased for $20 didn't get any service at our vacation spot (even though the map says there should be service). So I downgraded to the free 500MB well before the trial ended. Nope, to downgrade they say they need to have $5 in my account. Ok, fine. I'm out $25. Nope, now they take $9.99 out because I also had a free trial of "premier" service that ended, and then they automatically charge me. Apparently this is separate from the data plan. Oh yeah, and to downgrade or cancel, they make the links incredibly small and hard to find. I had to google search to find the link they buried in many pages. Then it asks you like 5 times if you're sure you want to downgrade. This is a scam/fraud company with unethical business tactics.

layc7
10/2/17

Great coverage and never had a problem with the service. Will be getting another number soon! Currently using the 3-1 LTE sim card in my LG G Pad X with no worries.

angelob42
10/2/17

I have been using FreedomPop LTE SIM for 8 months now and I am very satisfied. The coverage is great and the call quality is good. There are several plans to satisfy everyone need starting from 0$/month up. With the free plan you get 200min talk, 500 texts and 200MB. Up to 500 extra MB can be obtained connecting with FreedomFriends. All call and texts between Freedompop users are free. Make sure to set up your account according to your needs and usage, be careful to not go below 100MB to not incur in extra charges.
I would definitely command Freedompop for medium/moderate users.

philiph74
9/30/17

I am paying, for both phones combined, $10.00 monthly (including all fees and taxes), for unlimited talk, texts, and voicemail. There is also a combined 2GB for the 2 phones, included (1GB of family data, and 500MB on each phone). My wife and I use less than 1/4th that amount on our phones, but it is good to have extra, especially at this fantastic price. Premium voice is also included in the price, so the call quality is very good.

jonc101
9/30/17

We've been with Freedompop for a few years and it has proved to be a great value!
They offer a wide variety of GSM and CDMA devices/services. they're designed for customers who use little data, but their services have helped me during power outages and car trips, where my home wifi was not available.

Tip for consumers: They have a free option plan you can downgrade to after puchasing

12 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

I know of three telephone #s for "Freedompop": 800-228-9207 888-743-8107 855-703-5785 If you can't reach a representative at any of these #s (I very recently had success with 888-743-8107 and they helped me with my billing issue), GO TO FREEDOMPOP.COM AND LOG INTO YOUR ACCOUNT (hope you remember your password!). THEN, CLICK ON (or, just hover over) "MY ACCOUNT" ATOP PAGE From its drop-down list, THEN CHOOSE "ACCOUNT SETTINGS" At the bottom of that page, you should see "DEACTIVATE ACCOUNT." (Click on it and follow subsequent instructions)

By Barry S.

trustworthy????? Cust service is bad, make that terrible almost nonexistent. The service is carried by sprint but was very hit or miss when not connected via wireless to a network. If you will always be in a city or connected to a network via wireless internet, this will probably work for you but do not count on it on a rural road. We cancelled service before the money back guarantee ran out. We now go with a company called page plus which uses Verizon. It is a little more expensive, but very reliable where we are at and the phone was less expensive for the exact same model Galaxy IV. Freedom Pop cellular did not work for me.

By paul c.

I would double check all the info that you are inputting. They may be asking for it in a very specific order that is different from usual. I had no problems getting/ordering the phone. It was the inconsistent service that I had a problem with.

By paul c.
Questions? Get answers from the FreedomPop staff and other customers.

FreedomPop?