Review of FreedomPop

Los Angeles, CA 90064-1652, USA
support@freedompop.com

julianc42
9/19/17

I thought I would save some money on internet service so I gave Freedompop a try without reading reviews...BIG MISTAKE!! I ordered a Netgear 6100 D router and modem and noticed I was charged for two even though the sales person said I would not be charged for both. I went ahead and cancelled my credit card and one transaction since I had only ordered one. I received both units then found out my computer has no wifi interface. After about 80 emails they sent me a RMA# to send back the unit I paid for then after receiving it, they refuse to send me my refund as promised since I said something to my financial institution and cancelled the card. Could not steal anymore I guess!! You can't talk to anyone unless you pay $5.99 for "premium service" then as you can read from other complaints they hang up on you, so, I did not spend the money. This is the rudest bunch of thieves and swindlers I have ever encountered. I filed a complaint with Ripoff Report, filed two complaints with Federal Trade Commission and sent registered letters to the owner, the person in charge of "customer experience," and one of their board members and of course no response from anyone ay company headquarters. I hope the complaints to FTC does some good. Everyone with a bad experience with this bunch of thieves and swindlers should file a complaint with FTC and Ripoff Report and maybe an end will come to their theft and abusing peoples credit cards, overcharging, charging on closed accounts and telling people they will upgrade their phones then keep them when they are sent in..

briang129
9/1/17

1. You have to become a VIP member (3.99/mo) to speak with a representative, but even after upgrading you'll get put on hold for about 15 mins then it will just hang up on you. (Very hard to get help for anything)

2. Regular voice/phone services uses data. Therefore, this is false advertisement and talk mins are not actually unlimited. (1mb/1min or 500mb = 500min)

3. If you have less than 100MB of data left, your service will get suspended. So you can't call out or use the data that is leftover. (1GB really means 900MB is usable)

4. You have to use their app to use voice/text services. The app is very buggy and crashes in the middle of calls often.

5. The advertised pricing is not up to date. Real Pricing with usable data:
$19.99 900mb which means less than 900 mins available after using the internet a few times.

cyndib11
8/29/17

I tried FreedomPop several years ago, maybe around 2010? Maybe even longer. It didn't work out for me so I cancelled. Or so I thought. I just found a 1 cent charge on my credit card bill from them, even though I haven't thought about them in years and certainly don't use them anymore. Called my credit card company and they said a common scam fraudulent companies are doing now is charging their old customers 1 cent. Customer probably don't notice or want to take the time to dispute, and they make thousands of dollars because all those charges add up. I filed the dispute with the credit card company and tried to get on their website to remove my billing information. But they have it locked down so you can't access your account information or cancel your account. Just filed a report with BBB.

josephc183
8/27/17

Freedompop, even if you are on the so-called "free" plan, will charge you out of the blue, seemingly randomly. Be sure to use a credit card that sends you alert when someone charges you. The best (really, the only) way to reliably contact Freedompop "customer service" is via twitter. Attempting to contact them via everything else is just an exercise in futility.

brittanys82
8/22/17

Hi,

I did not have a good experience with freedom pop. I wish I would have set up cable through a known service. Freedom pop stole money from me. Freedompop constantly charged my debit card even when I turned off automatic reload. I could not cancel service with them online or by calling. I had to contact my bank to block them from my account. When I turned my hotspot off and didn't use the service I still got charged. I don't trust this company and wouldn't recommend it. I could never get a live person on the phone. I believe this company is a scam and wouldn't recommend them.

yvonnes56
8/12/17

I purchased Freedompop phone in February of 2017 and just closed my account. in that time there was not a period of clearly working phone. It is laborious to send in the problem, wait for them to respond, phone for help, and be given a person without English skills and YOU have to go into the phone following poorly spoken directions and fix it yourself. First the voice mail would not work,Took them two weeks to get that sorted out. Then it had 22 seconds for people to leave a message, then CUT OFF. I sent it in as a problem and was told they could not change that.
Here is the list I sent in Four days ago.
1. the voice mail messages are given 22 seconds before it cuts them off.
2. I cannot message out because I am "not allowed?????"
3. no one can message in.
4. I have to fix the issues with lengthy instructions that NEVER match my phone.
5. I am getting marks when I change screens.
6. keypad will not come up just the voice activation. SO I cannot follow instructions.....UGH
7. I have a banner across the top of home screen...well all screens. Looks like a ticker tape...I cannot get rid of it...
I gave up and have a Boostmobile. Please think twice before committing to Freedompop.

lolaa12
8/10/17

I purchased a refurbished cell phone from Freedom Pop and a couple of weeks later the wallpaper on my screen got very light and distorted. The pics from the camera and the rest of the wallpapers that were stored on the phone were all so lightened and distorted that you could not see what the icons were making it hard to use the phone properly. When I called them to report this, the rep just told me they would replace my phone and that all I had to do was return it in the same box it came in when they shipped it to me. Before I shipped it, I did some research on the Freedom Pop website regarding the return of an item and found that I needed an RMA number to make sure the phone was received and posted to the right account.

The rep on the phone did not even mention and RMA #. When I tried to call them back to get the RMA #, The automated voice response said that if I wanted phone support it would cost me $5.99 a month and would not let me speak to a rep unless I agreed to the charge which would be charged to my debit card right away, then the call would be transferred to a representative. I hung up the call, went online and opened a trouble ticket asking them to send me an RMA #. Their response was, I had to wait 2 - 3 days for them to respond to me with the RMA #. In the meantime, there is a 30 day period to return and item back to Freedom Pop. In other words, you have to return your item within the first 30 days upon receiving it. By this time, I only had a few more days left before the 30 days expired. It's been 3 days and I still haven't received their email with the RMA #. I don't understand what these people are up to but looking at the other reviews, it does not look good.

aill1
8/2/17

Tried freedompop for little over one month. started with free plan, then upgraded to 1GB Data. From day one service, if you need any service, then forgot about it. no service. nickle and dime on everything. Currently I am requesting to port away to other carrier. Request have been submitted for 3 days from myself and 2 days from my plan to go carrier with no response from them at all.
It is no worth your time and money....

kristyn32
7/31/17

The phone service works, it is spotty and the phone resets randomly and you can't make, receive calls, or send and get txts.
My main issue is the free 30 days trial phone they sent had a defective battery, this phone was $250, I sent it back May 17th and have been hounding them for my refund and have actually had two separate customer service people tell me it was in the works 3 to 5 days at end of June in email, I have copies of conversations...and it is July 31st and they have now stopped responding to all emails I send and do not contact me back at all.
Basically they have just stolen $250 from me through no fault of my own. It has been over two months since they have received the trial phone.
Do not use them, their customer service is horrible and service is not great, along with their business practices being straight up stealing from consumers.

timothym93
7/30/17

I bought the $ .99 sim but could not make or receive calls about half the time (although the data worked well). A few days after I downgraded to the free plan (and put a different company's sim into my phone) sure enough, I saw a $5 charge on my card. I don't remember seeing this mentioned anywhere in the contract (but perhaps it was in the fine print), and hopefully it's a one-time deal. Since the phone service stinks and I don't plan to use their sim again, I plan to contact my bank to block them in the future. Remember the adage: "If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is."? I don't mind paying for phone service, but to be given the impression that a service is free, only to sneak in hidden fees, is dishonest. Fortunately it was only 5 bucks, but it looks like Freedom pop is playing the math game and counting on uninformed customers (suckers) to make their money. Stay away from them!

ninat24
7/30/17

They charge for services but im not able to call out or receive calls. I will be reporting them to trading standards.

roms6
7/28/17

I ordered $1 SIM card that I ve never received. Checked my account page and... the sim actually has never been sent. Yet they keep changing my account even I told then and actually cancelled all. They feed my with BS messages and keep changing my credit card. I open a case , credit card quickly refunded me since freedopop's well known as a fraudulent company. BEAWARE .

laurae16
7/25/17

Ordered for my daughter. Got the $9 plan. Never set it up so called and canceled. A few months later we had to cancel our credit card and saw where they had been taking out $25.00 a month for six months. Not only do you have to call and cancel but you must get a confirmation code and watch your card. They will cheat you out of all they can.

etcs
7/17/17

Will never have anything to do with FreedomPop again. This company is the most incompetient amount of idiots that you could ever deal with. First they are not US based, you talk to someone that has 1/2 broken english. Their whole scam is to try to sell you a device that is used and then when you get it the device isnt even activated. If you have a suite number or an Apt number, don't bother ordering it. These morons will purposely not put the suite or apt number on the package causing the item to be sent back to the stupidity this company does. Then when you call them they give you the run around. The second they find out that your a customer, they blow you off immediately. To talk to their 1/2 moronic support they want to charge you another $8 just to talk to someone that will blow you off again. Do yourself a favor stay clear from these cons!

laurieb59
7/8/17

I paid for FreedomPOP service. Even though they originally said it was free, it was not. My phone worked for two months, then stopped. I keep getting a message that I need to upgrade. Do not give anyone the FreedomPop number because you cannot get any help once it stops working unless you pay much more.

bubbah2
7/5/17

Stay away. Ordered SIM Card for phone. Unable to get phone to recognize. Called CS; no phone based TS available unless pay monthly fee. TS via email that is less than subpar. Slow to respond; days. Question whether the TS reads the email sent to them of actions performed due to asking questions to try procedures that have already been tried. Working on six days w/o resolution. DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY WITH THEM.

janeta49
6/19/17

Be very careful if you plan to start a Freedompop account. This plan is for extremely light cell users. Before you know it, they are charging you $20 dollars for only 1GB of data. They nickel and dime you on everything, so cell plan isn't free at all. You pay for voice mail also.

If you look at the monthly charges that they tack on without your permission, you are paying double what you would pay on any other low cost cell plan for subpar coverage and zip/nada customer service. And they lock the phone for 6 months.

Really think this through because it is not a free cell unless you leave it in your car and use it to dial 911 or call for a tow only. Anything else uses up the 500mb of data really fast and then the phone is shut down unless you agree to pay $25 per month for 2GB of data and voice mail (voice mail uses data).

Check out Cricket, Boost Mobile, Metro PCS, etc. You get a lot more for your money else where and the phone will work. I can't tell you how many times this phone goes dead, or won't work.

jamief42
6/12/17

You're better off getting most expensive plan with Verizon!! There isn't one positive thing to say, from the cheap, crappy phone to the non-existence of customer service. A rating of zero is too high - RUN!

estiea
6/10/17

I ordered the $1.06 SIM card. They charged me two $89 charges on something I NEVER ordered! It caused my bank account to be overdrawn -$206 and my bank charged two $30 insufficient funds fee!
DON'T ORDER FROM THEM...unless you have money to burn!

donnab198
6/8/17

Poor phone service (at one point I wasnt able to make calls) but great texts as long as you don't send photos. My friends are telling me that sending them pictures through their port has ruined their phones. They also take advantage of your account and don't inform you of changes or charges. I went from 500mb to 300mb to 200mb without warning. I'm not sure how long they will be able to carry on this way, but it doesn't seem like long. I guess for free they think people will put up with it.

sofiav5
6/3/17

Recently they charged my cc for 0.01 the amount when I see it i called and complain they told me that in customer service ido not have any service with them but they charge the credid car to see if it was still active??? How a company can charge 0.01 to customers who does not have service?? Do they do the same to all of them??? Why?? Is it so bad that no body wants the service??? Do they do the same to all people and may be not every one check their statement ??. I don not know how many customers or the information of how many people do they have but to do that is abusive specially if the company knows that person is not a customer . If they charge 0.01 (unauthorized charges) to 10000 people who they have their information they can make one hundred xtra with out authorization. 0.01 is nothing but a serious company shouldn't charge u nothing knowing they do not give u the service. To. See if my car was still active??? Are they playing with customers information??

miker264
6/2/17

Bad order process , bad customer service , bad phone service , canned emails , billing is out of this world ! I now have two cell phone service's that actually work . Freedompop should be called MissionCreep !

vinces26
3/24/17

AVOID this company , you cannot get support, they will steal your mone, charge as much as they can from your account before you cancel service.

I have reported them to the BBB

royp37
3/18/17

I am now trying to port my number out of FreedomPop.com back to my old carrier. I tried to save a buck and I got burned by this outfit. They talk a good game but do not deliver in the end. And lots of hidden charges which can be incurred.

troys54
3/13/17

There is not one single good thing that I can about this company or its people. Disturbingly poor from start to finish and from top to bottom. Avoid. Abort. Abandon.

12 ratings were submitted through the Sitejabber Browser Extension

Helpful answer

I know of three telephone #s for "Freedompop": 800-228-9207 888-743-8107 855-703-5785 If you can't reach a representative at any of these #s (I very recently had success with 888-743-8107 and they helped me with my billing issue), GO TO FREEDOMPOP.COM AND LOG INTO YOUR ACCOUNT (hope you remember your password!). THEN, CLICK ON (or, just hover over) "MY ACCOUNT" ATOP PAGE From its drop-down list, THEN CHOOSE "ACCOUNT SETTINGS" At the bottom of that page, you should see "DEACTIVATE ACCOUNT." (Click on it and follow subsequent instructions)

By Barry S. on 3/7/16
Helpful answer

trustworthy????? Cust service is bad, make that terrible almost nonexistent. The service is carried by sprint but was very hit or miss when not connected via wireless to a network. If you will always be in a city or connected to a network via wireless internet, this will probably work for you but do not count on it on a rural road. We cancelled service before the money back guarantee ran out. We now go with a company called page plus which uses Verizon. It is a little more expensive, but very reliable where we are at and the phone was less expensive for the exact same model Galaxy IV. Freedom Pop cellular did not work for me.

By paul c. on 5/18/15
Helpful answer

I would double check all the info that you are inputting. They may be asking for it in a very specific order that is different from usual. I had no problems getting/ordering the phone. It was the inconsistent service that I had a problem with.

By paul c. on 6/21/15

Helpful answer

Questions? Get answers from the FreedomPop staff and other customers.

FreedomPop?